Burnham brands ban on football fans drinking alcohol in stands as 'discrimination'
Andy Burnham has branded a ban on fans being allowed to drink alcohol in the stands during men's football matches as "discrimination". The prime minister told reporters that "I don't think it's fair for football fans to be singled out", as he suggested a change could be trialled. Laws are in place which prevent drinking in view of the pitch at stadiums for clubs in the top five tiers of men's football in England. Other sports do not face such a restriction.
A UK Football Policing Unit (UKFPU) spokesman warned that changes to the law would pose "challenges" to policing and the "safety of staff and fans at football games". He said: "Other sports simply don't see the violence and criminal behaviour from their supporters that football does, albeit a minority, with alcohol often playing a significant part in violent and disorderly behaviour. "It would be irresponsible to fuel this by allowing greater alcohol consumption during games." He added it would be "incredibly rash to make fundamental changes without a full examination of the evidence and meaningful consultation with police practitioners who have the expertise in this area".
FSA chairman Tom Greatrex said it was "unfair to criminalise football fans for having a pint while watching the match - especially since you can sit in the same seat drinking alcohol whilst watching an Oasis gig or rugby league". He said "many clubs" were in favour of a change, adding: "We welcome the prime minister's comments and totally agree that the legislation is outdated and deserves to be reviewed."
This is an extract from a longer piece on the BBC website - link below - any views.
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c933ky0nknxko
I thinks the ban is counter productive in that it encourages fans to drink excessively before games and that any residual bad behaviour might be magnified by that.
It is now also the case that once in the ground it is easy, with all-seater stadiums and the CCTV coverage, to see any troublesome fans and identify them because the ticketing process records so much personal data.
This ban on alcohol only applies to ground in the top five division's of English Football.
I noticed that the Dockers Derby took place last weekend and was largely trouble free. I think 6 arrests for what were reported as minor offences.
I think that ship has sailed. Stewards are reluctant to eject away fans from home ends in case it causes more trouble, I can't see them being too keen to eject any fans that have had too much to drink without a police presence.
Not a good idea at all. Concentrate of doing PM job. Leave football and managing fans to the police, clubs etc
Another sound bite to boost dwindling support for this inept government, it will drive people away from going to football if they bring this back, its bad enough mow with people going in and out of their seats during a match, plus we all know people with beer will launch it if a goal is scored covering other fans with beer which in turn would probably lead to an aggressive response, its not broken dont try and fix it 🙄
Fortunately I've never been in a fan zone where, when a team scores, pints of beer are thrown in the air. Very bad idea IMO.
Lucy Powell was on the BBC this morning championing an improvement in behaviour at football grounds over the last 20 years. Look love, don't you think that because drink has not been allowed for those 20 years may have something to do with this? Spectators unable to go without a drink for two 45 periods is hardly discriminatory. Total nonsense.
Thank you and good night  Â
Quote from: Southcoastffc on September 24, 2026, 08:25:30 AMFortunately I've never been in a fan zone where, when a team scores, pints of beer are thrown in the air. Very bad idea IMO.
I have no wish to be showered in beer. ::tongue::Â
I think he's got more problems to worry about that drinking in the stands.
This is a bad move. I wanna watch a game without suffering the stench of alcoholics and loudmouths boozed up chanting obscenities.
Then there's the problem of conflict and stewards getting injured if they get to throw them out.
As a non-drinker it's easy to be holier than thou but if someone can't go 2 hours without a drink then they need to seek help.
Having had four pints of lager spilt down my back at Twickenham last year it's a definite no from me.
Agree that there shouldn't be a law against this, though it should be at the discretion of football clubs who I'd expect would continue to forbid it anyway.
Quote from: SP on September 24, 2026, 09:02:49 AMHaving had four pints of lager spilt down my back at Twickenham last year it's a definite no from me.
You must really have upset the bloke behind you if he wanted to make you move that much at £8 a pint.
I think there is much less trouble at games now, because to afford to attend games today, you need a pretty good job, which you wouldn't want to risk with a police record, and are probably not a violent yob anyway.
But, it seems civilised to allow fans to drink in their seats if they want to, and avoid the rush at half time, but I'm not in favour of beer throwing, which should not be allowed.
Quote from: bog on September 24, 2026, 08:42:21 AMLucy Powell was on the BBC this morning championing an improvement in behaviour at football grounds over the last 20 years. Look love, don't you think that because drink has not been allowed for those 20 years may have something to do with this? Spectators unable to go without a drink for two 45 periods is hardly discriminatory. Total nonsense.
Thank you and good night  Â
You are the voice of reason Mr Bog.
Quote from: RaySmith on September 24, 2026, 09:39:17 AMI think there is much less trouble at games now, because to afford to attend games today, you need a pretty good job, which you wouldn't want to risk with a police record, and are probably not a violent yob anyway.
But, it seems civilised to allow fans to drink in their seats if they want to, and avoid the rush at half time, but I'm not in favour of beer throwing, which should not be allowed.
You must try and refrain from throwing Beer Ray, it's a waste of good English Ale.
Quote from: iansthailand on September 24, 2026, 08:48:39 AMAs a non-drinker it's easy to be holier than thou but if someone can't go 2 hours without a drink then they need to seek help.
Precisely
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 24, 2026, 10:08:23 AMQuote from: bog on September 24, 2026, 08:42:21 AMLucy Powell was on the BBC this morning championing an improvement in behaviour at football grounds over the last 20 years. Look love, don't you think that because drink has not been allowed for those 20 years may have something to do with this? Spectators unable to go without a drink for two 45 periods is hardly discriminatory. Total nonsense.
Thank you and good night  Â
You are the voice of reason Mr Bog.
Not sure of that sir, but at 81 I am increasingly p***** off by illogical decisions made by those in power of so many operations, ie FIFA.
 Â
Quote from: HobGoblin on September 24, 2026, 07:46:07 AMNot a good idea at all. Concentrate of doing PM job. Leave football and managing fans to the police, clubs etc
He has a point. Many sports allow fans and expect fans to behave decently despite being allowed to take alcohol into the stands with them. Football fans can be a lot more thuggish/loutish, which is always going to be a going concern, but many fans aren't and can handle themselves properly. I think if fans drink heavily before games and seem clearly drunk beforehand then simply don't let them into the grounds.
Looking at social media I think he will be surprised at the reaction to this suggestion. Maybe OK for lower league clubs financially but that would be the only good reason. He seems to be trying to please everyone instead of dealing with the real problems.
And, what would Mr Burnham's suggested move do to the hospitality industry near football grounds??
Quote from: Southcoastffc on September 24, 2026, 11:43:24 AMAnd, what would Mr Burnham's suggested move do to the hospitality industry near football grounds??
Probably nothing, this is about drinking in the stands when the game is on.
I am not particually against the idea, works in Europe for Football and in the UK for other sporting events. I guess the concern is UK football fans basically cant handle their beer and become idiots.
I really don't care about the drinking per se, but full pint glasses being navigated down the narrow rows of the JH stand will often be less full by the time they reach their destination. You have to contort to let people pass as it is. Sitting in beer and anything that makes it more likely that people will be trying to leave their seat whilst the game is on are not appealing propects.
Quote from: General on September 24, 2026, 11:11:46 AMQuote from: HobGoblin on September 24, 2026, 07:46:07 AMNot a good idea at all. Concentrate of doing PM job. Leave football and managing fans to the police, clubs etc
He has a point. Many sports allow fans and expect fans to behave decently despite being allowed to take alcohol into the stands with them. Football fans can be a lot more thuggish/loutish, which is always going to be a going concern, but many fans aren't and can handle themselves properly. I think if fans drink heavily before games and seem clearly drunk beforehand then simply don't let them into the grounds.
Some good points but seriously would you be happy having to let people out on a regular basis whilst the match is going on and have beer spilt on you when they return? I know i wouldn't and that happens every timrle I go to Twickenham 🤔
Quote from: Carborundum on September 24, 2026, 12:03:16 PMI really don't care about the drinking per se, but full pint glasses being navigated down the narrow rows of the JH stand will often be less full by the time they reach their destination. You have to contort to let people pass as it is. Sitting in beer and anything that makes it more likely that people will be trying to leave their seat whilst the game is on are not appealing propects.
Agree with this entirely, I also sit in the JH and as stated you can barely move as it is, then factor in that most people under 30 have got the attention span of a squirrel, we are now going to have people continuously going back and forwards throughout the entire match,
This statement is going to do nothing for the people that actually go to football to watch football.
How ridiculous
Quote from: General on September 24, 2026, 11:11:46 AMQuote from: HobGoblin on September 24, 2026, 07:46:07 AMNot a good idea at all. Concentrate of doing PM job. Leave football and managing fans to the police, clubs etc
He has a point. Many sports allow fans and expect fans to behave decently despite being allowed to take alcohol into the stands with them. Football fans can be a lot more thuggish/loutish, which is always going to be a going concern, but many fans aren't and can handle themselves properly. I think if fans drink heavily before games and seem clearly drunk beforehand then simply don't let them into the grounds.
I dont see he has any point to bring it up. He should be doing his job as PM. Not a poorly thought out comment stating discrimination.Â
The Police and clubs will be totally against this and how the fans are managed is for those organisations to decide, not via a soundbite from a MP.
Agree with most comments. Weird thing for him to pick up. It'll only make policing harder and lead to beer being spilt and thrown everywhere during the game. As a society we should be (and the younger generations generally are) moving away from these poisonous, mind-numbing opiates like booze and cigarettes, not encouraging them from the highest level of government.
Quote from: KJS on September 24, 2026, 12:11:54 PMQuote from: General on September 24, 2026, 11:11:46 AMQuote from: HobGoblin on September 24, 2026, 07:46:07 AMNot a good idea at all. Concentrate of doing PM job. Leave football and managing fans to the police, clubs etc
He has a point. Many sports allow fans and expect fans to behave decently despite being allowed to take alcohol into the stands with them. Football fans can be a lot more thuggish/loutish, which is always going to be a going concern, but many fans aren't and can handle themselves properly. I think if fans drink heavily before games and seem clearly drunk beforehand then simply don't let them into the grounds.
Some good points but seriously would you be happy having to let people out on a regular basis whilst the match is going on and have beer spilt on you when they return? I know i wouldn't and that happens every timrle I go to Twickenham 🤔
Hasn't happened to me very much/if at all when I go to rugby matches. Most of the time people are careful and do it in a civilised way. That said it can/does happen, so I won't deny that. Personally isn't fun, but then if someone is walking my way with beer in their hands and it looks like they've overdone it, I tend to tell everyone to look out and make more space so everyone knows and the likelihood of something happening is reduced. The beer carrier knows everyones staring at them, so adds a small bit of pressure, then all the other fans/punters are doing what they can to get out of the way.
Think it's more likely to happen in away ends.
Quote from: HobGoblin on September 24, 2026, 12:37:30 PMQuote from: General on September 24, 2026, 11:11:46 AMQuote from: HobGoblin on September 24, 2026, 07:46:07 AMNot a good idea at all. Concentrate of doing PM job. Leave football and managing fans to the police, clubs etc
He has a point. Many sports allow fans and expect fans to behave decently despite being allowed to take alcohol into the stands with them. Football fans can be a lot more thuggish/loutish, which is always going to be a going concern, but many fans aren't and can handle themselves properly. I think if fans drink heavily before games and seem clearly drunk beforehand then simply don't let them into the grounds.
I dont see he has any point to bring it up. He should be doing his job as PM. Not a poorly thought out comment stating discrimination.Â
The Police and clubs will be totally against this and how the fans are managed is for those organisations to decide, not via a soundbite from a MP.
Previous govts tried bringing in 24hr drinking licences for pubs, I'm not sure how they'd be completely against it. The main argument seems to be that football fans more than any other sets of fans are unruly and disregulated and can't be trusted with booze.
You could pour less full cups to reduce spillage if you wanted to too.
I think Burnham is doing more in his role as PM than deciding on opening up the terraces to pints. I'm sure the clubs will prefer it as long as controlled. Most stewards do very little during games, so could give them something else to do if needed.
WARNING
We would like to remind EVERYBODY that this post is based around the possible return of alcohol to the terraces, NOT politics.Â
Whilst we welcome this conversation based around the impacts of it being reintroduced at Fulham, what we will NOT welcome is this thread being turned into a political debate.
If that happens, then this thread will be locked/closed down and those retrospective members banned.
If you are unaware of the Forum guidelines, then they can be viewed here:
https://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=51314.0
I am told that safe standing spaces do not come equipped with cup holders on health and safety grounds to avoid tripping hazards, obstruction in tight standing spaces, and damage during intense goal celebrations. So golden showers all round. ::scarf::Â ::scarf::
Talking of which .......
...... are the current facilities particularly at the Hammersmith End up to any increase in micturition?
I dont think people will be up and down going back and forth for a pint anyway, at Twickers they supply 4 pint holders to ensure you dont need to keep going back and forth, plenty of solutions out there
This is Fulham for gods sake.
It will obviously be Waitress service.
Quote from: KentFulham on September 24, 2026, 03:22:26 PMI dont think people will be up and down going back and forth for a pint anyway, at Twickers they supply 4 pint holders to ensure you dont need to keep going back and forth, plenty of solutions out there
At most games we probably have to stand up 6 to 10 times each half for people coming in late or going early either side of half time and before full time. Where am I expected to safely keep my four pint holders without spillage.
Quote from: Colton F.C. on September 24, 2026, 02:19:21 PMI am told that safe standing spaces do not come equipped with cup holders on health and safety grounds to avoid tripping hazards, obstruction in tight standing spaces, and damage during intense goal celebrations. So golden showers all round. ::scarf::Â ::scarf::
Talking of which .......
...... are the current facilities particularly at the Hammersmith End up to any increase in micturition?
The hammy end bogs will be busier than ever.
Will the upgrades be sufficient or will Mr Woolly's dynamite be required.
Quote from: KJS on September 24, 2026, 07:54:42 AMAnother sound bite to boost dwindling support for this inept government, it will drive people away from going to football if they bring this back, its bad enough mow with people going in and out of their seats during a match, plus we all know people with beer will launch it if a goal is scored covering other fans with beer which in turn would probably lead to an aggressive response, its not broken dont try and fix it 🙄
I'm not really a follower of politics, but i do always check the odds on things and keep an eye on how much brainwashing is going on in general in the news and your comment about ""dwindling support for (an) inept government" doesn't really match up. Maybe a slight drop off from when Burnham took over from Starmer (and Labour rose dramatically).
https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/most-seats
Over recent months it's Reform voters dwindling more than anything. And the Conservatives apparently making great strides. And that the Greens losing a load of support. Just putting the record straight.
Quote from: Cambridge Away on September 24, 2026, 06:01:19 PMQuote from: KJS on September 24, 2026, 07:54:42 AMAnother sound bite to boost dwindling support for this inept government, it will drive people away from going to football if they bring this back, its bad enough mow with people going in and out of their seats during a match, plus we all know people with beer will launch it if a goal is scored covering other fans with beer which in turn would probably lead to an aggressive response, its not broken dont try and fix it 🙄
I'm not really a follower of politics, but i do always check the odds on things and keep an eye on how much brainwashing is going on in general in the news and your comment about ""dwindling support for (an) inept government" doesn't really match up. Maybe a slight drop off from when Burnham took over from Starmer (and Labour rose dramatically).
https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/most-seats
Over recent months it's Reform voters dwindling more than anything. And the Conservatives apparently making great strides. And that the Greens losing a load of support. Just putting the record straight.
Unbelievable, banned...
They'd be less clamour for drinking beer during the game if we could just get a beer efficiently 20 mins before kick off and at half time.
Crazy idea - but pints could be pre poured and ready to go, just incase fans want a beer.
Instead (in the JH), you often give one person your order at half time (who is flanked by someone looking vacant). They turn around to another person who looks surprised that a lager is being ordered, before reconfirming and pouring it. Then vacant person comes to life and takes your payment.
Â
If they slickened this up a touch, I reckon we could all have our fill of beer without rushing it, and happily watch the football afterwards.
How about this? Instead of selling beer in a glass/cup, they sell beer in a pouch and there's a big straw to drink from. That would solve the big mess it would make when people move around or celebrate.
I was going to say the lifting of the alcohol ban would probably improve the atmosphere at the Cottage. Fulham fans are not vocal enough as opposed to other teams and wetting the whistle might release any inhibitions. I'm generally against bans anyway!
Quote from: KJS on September 24, 2026, 07:54:42 AMAnother sound bite to boost dwindling support for this inept government, it will drive people away from going to football if they bring this back, its bad enough mow with people going in and out of their seats during a match, plus we all know people with beer will launch it if a goal is scored covering other fans with beer which in turn would probably lead to an aggressive response, its not broken dont try and fix it 🙄
Well since the government is up in the latest polls your comment is somewhat diminished. However I confess I do agree it's a bad idea.
I also agree it is a bad idea. If it was allow3£ I can see everyone getting showered with beer every time we scored only for VAR to disallow the goal 5 minutes later
Quote from: Thailand Mick on September 24, 2026, 11:22:10 AMLooking at social media I think he will be surprised at the reaction to this suggestion. Maybe OK for lower league clubs financially but that would be the only good reason. He seems to be trying to please everyone instead of dealing with the real problems.
He wants to be seen as a man of the people and needs to be popular. Governing the country means making difficult and unpopular decisions- get on with it man, move onto the important issues
I don't know why but I am quite surprised that pretty much everybody is against this. It has been interesting though, because as a result of this conversation I do agree tahat it is a non-thing really and probably not a good idea.
Also quite surprised that the person that turned it 'political' appears to have had no sanction where as the person that replied is now gone.
I occasionally go to watch Maidstone, no issue with beer in the crowd
Quote from: Somerset Fulham on September 24, 2026, 09:55:11 PMI don't know why but I am quite surprised that pretty much everybody is against this. It has been interesting though, because as a result of this conversation I do agree tahat it is a non-thing really and probably not a good idea.
Also quite surprised that the person that turned it 'political' appears to have had no sanction where as the person that replied is now gone.
So General, just because someone turns a post 'political', it then gives everyone else the right to continue down that path, does it?
Also, how do you know what we are or aren't dealing with behind the scenes, before publicly accusing the moderators.
Time and time again, we have expressed that politics on this forum is BANNED, and time and time again people just ignore it.
My reason for starting this was because I believe the ban was brought in to solve an issue that was more wide spread and not football specific. It was the gut reaction that seems to have been credited with reducing violence in football grounds without any evidence that this, on it's own, was the case.
I would maintain that more effective policing outside the ground, all-seater stadiums, CCTV and stricter ticketing controls have had a far greater effect than stopping fans taking a beer back to their seat has.
If there are specific issues with allowing drinks to be brought back to your seat there are perhaps sensible solutions that do not need a total ban
Being inconvenienced by people carrying drink to seats; is there any need to open the outlets when the match is in progress? Theatres don't open their bars then and the pre-halftime rush to the bar and bogs will not change. In fact allowing drinks to be brough back to your seat, might get people to settle into their seat sooner because they do not have a drink to finish and a TV to watch the match on while they do it.
The stewards do little or no crowd control now, why would that change? The deterrent is - you're on Candid Camera - in most cases a check with the ticket office the following day will reveal who you are. If there is an urgent crowd control issue it is dealt with by the police under the direction of the CCTV staff anyway.
For me, I have an allergy to cigarette smoke. A far greater issue is smoking in the ground and there seems to be little appetite for dealing with that. The Hammersmith end toilets have their own thread on here - how many of the cubicles are occupied by smokers ?
Â
I can see the spray of booze as the equaliser or winning goal goes in.
Quote from: Roberty on September 25, 2026, 06:52:46 AMMy reason for starting this was because I believe the ban was brought in to solve an issue that was more wide spread and not football specific. It was the gut reaction that seems to have been credited with reducing violence in football grounds without any evidence that this, on it's own, was the case.
I would maintain that more effective policing outside the ground, all-seater stadiums, CCTV and stricter ticketing controls have had a far greater effect than stopping fans taking a beer back to their seat has.
If there are specific issues with allowing drinks to be brought back to your seat there are perhaps sensible solutions that do not need a total ban
Being inconvenienced by people carrying drink to seats; is there any need to open the outlets when the match is in progress? Theatres don't open their bars then and the pre-halftime rush to the bar and bogs will not change. In fact allowing drinks to be brough back to your seat, might get people to settle into their seat sooner because they do not have a drink to finish and a TV to watch the match on while they do it.
The stewards do little or no crowd control now, why would that change? The deterrent is - you're on Candid Camera - in most cases a check with the ticket office the following day will reveal who you are. If there is an urgent crowd control issue it is dealt with by the police under the direction of the CCTV staff anyway.
For me, I have an allergy to cigarette smoke. A far greater issue is smoking in the ground and there seems to be little appetite for dealing with that. The Hammersmith end toilets have their own thread on here - how many of the cubicles are occupied by smokers ?
Â
Having a drink in your seat seems normal in most forms of sport and entertainment, yet football fans aren't trusted to do this without causing problems!
Quote from: KentFulham on September 24, 2026, 03:22:26 PMI dont think people will be up and down going back and forth for a pint anyway, at Twickers they supply 4 pint holders to ensure you dont need to keep going back and forth, plenty of solutions out there
Potentially you could have 3 or 4 blokes together each carrying 4 pints. Sounds like a recipe for a disaster or at least endless interruptions to people around them when they keep going to the toilet. Â
Quote from: Ruislip White on September 24, 2026, 07:21:19 PMThey'd be less clamour for drinking beer during the game if we could just get a beer efficiently 20 mins before kick off and at half time.
Crazy idea - but pints could be pre poured and ready to go, just incase fans want a beer.
Instead (in the JH), you often give one person your order at half time (who is flanked by someone looking vacant). They turn around to another person who looks surprised that a lager is being ordered, before reconfirming and pouring it. Then vacant person comes to life and takes your payment.
Â
If they slickened this up a touch, I reckon we could all have our fill of beer without rushing it, and happily watch the football afterwards.
I'm sure they could get mobile drink dispensers out on the pavement where they open up the gates at half time.
Quote from: RaySmith on September 25, 2026, 08:52:41 AMQuote from: Roberty on September 25, 2026, 06:52:46 AMMy reason for starting this was because I believe the ban was brought in to solve an issue that was more wide spread and not football specific. It was the gut reaction that seems to have been credited with reducing violence in football grounds without any evidence that this, on it's own, was the case.
I would maintain that more effective policing outside the ground, all-seater stadiums, CCTV and stricter ticketing controls have had a far greater effect than stopping fans taking a beer back to their seat has.
If there are specific issues with allowing drinks to be brought back to your seat there are perhaps sensible solutions that do not need a total ban
Being inconvenienced by people carrying drink to seats; is there any need to open the outlets when the match is in progress? Theatres don't open their bars then and the pre-halftime rush to the bar and bogs will not change. In fact allowing drinks to be brough back to your seat, might get people to settle into their seat sooner because they do not have a drink to finish and a TV to watch the match on while they do it.
The stewards do little or no crowd control now, why would that change? The deterrent is - you're on Candid Camera - in most cases a check with the ticket office the following day will reveal who you are. If there is an urgent crowd control issue it is dealt with by the police under the direction of the CCTV staff anyway.
For me, I have an allergy to cigarette smoke. A far greater issue is smoking in the ground and there seems to be little appetite for dealing with that. The Hammersmith end toilets have their own thread on here - how many of the cubicles are occupied by smokers ?
Â
Having a drink in your seat seems normal in most forms of sport and entertainment, yet football fans aren't trusted to do this without causing problems!
History would suggest exactly that.
It`s great having a beer at a non league game in the stands, mind you it has to be non alcoholic for me coz all the tablets I`m on, mind you we only get about 60 to 90 spectators except when we play Lancing in a cup game.
Question for older viewers: Did people have beer in their hands back in the 60s and earlier? I couldn't afford to drink then, but I don't remember it as a thing on the terraces at the time. I don't even remember a bar under the stands, but again, I was young and broke. Lots of smokers of course, and half-time steak and kidney pies and cups of hot tea or Bovril. It could get so crowded on the terraces that you wouldn't be able to hang onto a pint anyway.
Quote from: Snibbo on September 25, 2026, 10:02:25 AMQuestion for older viewers: Did people have beer in their hands back in the 60s and earlier? I couldn't afford to drink then, but I don't remember it as a thing on the terraces at the time. I don't even remember a bar under the stands, but again, I was young and broke. Lots of smokers of course, and half-time steak and kidney pies and cups of hot tea or Bovril. It could get so crowded on the terraces that you wouldn't be able to hang onto a pint anyway.
Never. Before and after regularly but never during the game. Never really understood the need during the match but it's big money for clubs nowadays and the money will ultimately be the driving force I guess
According to Police/ Home Office Data
Drink related arrests for Fulham fans are one of the lowest in Prem. roughly 10 per season.
Whilst Everton rank as one of the highest.56 last season with a further 31 banning orders made.
 So no thanks i am happy with the current situation.
Quote from: Roberty on September 25, 2026, 06:52:46 AMMy reason for starting this was because I believe the ban was brought in to solve an issue that was more wide spread and not football specific. It was the gut reaction that seems to have been credited with reducing violence in football grounds without any evidence that this, on it's own, was the case.
I would maintain that more effective policing outside the ground, all-seater stadiums, CCTV and stricter ticketing controls have had a far greater effect than stopping fans taking a beer back to their seat has.
If there are specific issues with allowing drinks to be brought back to your seat there are perhaps sensible solutions that do not need a total ban
Being inconvenienced by people carrying drink to seats; is there any need to open the outlets when the match is in progress? Theatres don't open their bars then and the pre-halftime rush to the bar and bogs will not change. In fact allowing drinks to be brough back to your seat, might get people to settle into their seat sooner because they do not have a drink to finish and a TV to watch the match on while they do it.
The stewards do little or no crowd control now, why would that change? The deterrent is - you're on Candid Camera - in most cases a check with the ticket office the following day will reveal who you are. If there is an urgent crowd control issue it is dealt with by the police under the direction of the CCTV staff anyway.
For me, I have an allergy to cigarette smoke. A far greater issue is smoking in the ground and there seems to be little appetite for dealing with that. The Hammersmith end toilets have their own thread on here - how many of the cubicles are occupied by smokers ?
Â
You have made a fair point about Smoking, an unpleasant habit.
Especially if you don't smoke like me having to be in the company of a smoker.
The only time I smoke is when I am on 🔥 fire.
Stupid decision, and unpractical in this day and age of football.
Whilst I enjoy a beer or 10 at footy, what I don't miss, is being covered in sticky beer by some intoxicated fan.
Even if people aren't intoxicated, I've had it down my back before, simply because someone had tripped getting back to their seat, or losing control of the plastic cup.
All this is just aimed at getting a certain group onside, without looking at the practically of it.
Non political comment. It is Mr Burnham's idea but he won't be sitting in the stands, being that he is Prime minister he will be sitting in the executive seats, not likely to have beer spilt down his back.
Quote from: KentFulham on September 24, 2026, 11:48:32 AMQuote from: Southcoastffc on September 24, 2026, 11:43:24 AMAnd, what would Mr Burnham's suggested move do to the hospitality industry near football grounds??
Probably nothing, this is about drinking in the stands when the game is on.
I am not particually against the idea, works in Europe for Football and in the UK for other sporting events. I guess the concern is UK football fans basically cant handle their beer and become idiots.
Just start selling only American Beer. Monty Python was right way back in '82 with their 'Bruces' sketch, that'll put a stop to drinking on the terraces!
As I said before, I'm in approval of lifting the ban. Its about time football fans were treated like sensible adults and not yobbos, constantly harassed by police and contempt from government officials who do not understand the passion of the game.
Also I do loathe snitches that try to get other posters into trouble. Let the moderators do their job without putting your tuppence (boot) in.
I went to Corinthian Casuals football ground last weekend. What a superb set up with a nice little clubhouse and bar just behind the stand. Would go there if I wasn't at the Cottage. :claping20hands:
I love a pint at the match, or a few.. or nine. I've no problem waiting until half-time, or until I get to the DoC after the final whistle.
Besides football, I go to a lot of different sporting events like NFL, ice hockey, rugby. Even there, I tend to "wait until half time" for a pint.
I've never had a positive experience result from someone beside me holding a beer, whereas I've had dozens of negative ones (spillage, drunken rambling, getting one thrown round you when a goal is scored).
Happy with things the way they are, thanks.
Good news... it ain't happening. ::scarf::
The extra cost of policing would have to fall to the clubs as the taxation cost of policing this change would be massive and unaffordable with existing funding.
Quote from: FFC007 on September 29, 2026, 10:41:42 AMGood news... it ain't happening. ::scarf::
The extra cost of policing would have to fall to the clubs as the taxation cost of policing this change would be massive and unaffordable with existing funding.
A Sensible and necessary decision.
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 01, 2026, 02:15:39 AMQuote from: FFC007 on September 29, 2026, 10:41:42 AMGood news... it ain't happening. ::scarf::
The extra cost of policing would have to fall to the clubs as the taxation cost of policing this change would be massive and unaffordable with existing funding.
A Sensible and necessary decision.
Why sensible or necessary - the top five divisions in British Professional football are the only ones that have a ban on drinking alcohol within view of the pitch.
You can still drink at the bars in the ground and watch on TV though - make that make sense.
I think I remember that Arsenal and Villa had zero alcohol in their grounds at some point, which actually makes more sense than what we have now.
No evidence about there being a need for extra policing at all.
There are already police at the stadiums, that the clubs pay for. The fact that the police might be against the idea is expected as they prefer to do bu**er all anyway.
The police already ignore the law regarding it being the landlords responsibility not to serve drunks in their pubs, which I believe leads to most of the alcohol related public order issues anyway.
This ban is a nanny state idea and need to go.
Quote from: Nick Bateman on September 25, 2026, 07:13:21 PMAs I said before, I'm in approval of lifting the ban. Its about time football fans were treated like sensible adults and not yobbos, constantly harassed by police and contempt from government officials who do not understand the passion of the game.
Also I do loathe snitches that try to get other posters into trouble. Let the moderators do their job without putting your tuppence (boot) in.
Unfortunately, a large minority of football fans cannot behave like sensible adults, they have never grown up and become anti social juvenile delinquants.
Supply them with alcohol to fuel their underdeveloped brains, and you have a cocktail of calamity.
I am sure the Police and the Stewards are grateful for the ban as any rational decent supporter would wish.
As for your comment on snitches, a snitch is someone who secretly tells a person in authority about someone else,s wrongdoing.
What have you been up to then to feel you have to make that statement, and for the record i am not a snitch.
Works OK at non league level where it is mostly standing.
However I feel it would be totally impractical in densely seated areas of Championship and Premier League grounds.
It's bad enough now with late arrivals and half time tipplers getting to their seats 25 minutes after kick off.
Quote from: Jims Dentist on October 01, 2026, 10:27:22 PMWorks OK at non league level where it is mostly standing.
However I feel it would be totally impractical in densely seated areas of Championship and Premier League grounds.
It's bad enough now with late arrivals and half time tipplers getting to their seats 25 minutes after kick off.
Precisely and glad we all agree.
I need a Dark Rum 🥃 to celebrate common sense prevailing.
Quote from: White Knight on October 01, 2026, 09:10:48 PMQuote from: Nick Bateman on September 25, 2026, 07:13:21 PMAs I said before, I'm in approval of lifting the ban. Its about time football fans were treated like sensible adults and not yobbos, constantly harassed by police and contempt from government officials who do not understand the passion of the game.
Also I do loathe snitches that try to get other posters into trouble. Let the moderators do their job without putting your tuppence (boot) in.
Unfortunately, a large minority of football fans cannot behave like sensible adults, they have never grown up and become anti social juvenile delinquants.
Supply them with alcohol to fuel their underdeveloped brains, and you have a cocktail of calamity.
I am sure the Police and the Stewards are grateful for the ban as any rational decent supporter would wish.
As for your comment on snitches, a snitch is someone who secretly tells a person in authority about someone else,s wrongdoing.
What have you been up to then to feel you have to make that statement, and for the record i am not a snitch.
Precisely
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on Today at 10:30:39 AMQuote from: Jims Dentist on October 01, 2026, 10:27:22 PMWorks OK at non league level where it is mostly standing.
However I feel it would be totally impractical in densely seated areas of Championship and Premier League grounds.
It's bad enough now with late arrivals and half time tipplers getting to their seats 25 minutes after kick off.
Precisely and glad we all agree.
I need a Dark Rum 🥃 to celebrate common sense prevailing.
The hammy end bogs will be busier with booze in the seats!
Quote from: FFC007 on Today at 12:33:21 PMQuote from: Woolly Mammoth on Today at 10:30:39 AMQuote from: Jims Dentist on October 01, 2026, 10:27:22 PMWorks OK at non league level where it is mostly standing.
However I feel it would be totally impractical in densely seated areas of Championship and Premier League grounds.
It's bad enough now with late arrivals and half time tipplers getting to their seats 25 minutes after kick off.
Precisely and glad we all agree.
I need a Dark Rum 🥃 to celebrate common sense prevailing.
The hammy end bogs will be busier with booze in the seats!
I think it will be even busier with booze in the people 🤣
Quote from: alfie on Today at 12:36:43 PMQuote from: FFC007 on Today at 12:33:21 PMQuote from: Woolly Mammoth on Today at 10:30:39 AMQuote from: Jims Dentist on October 01, 2026, 10:27:22 PMWorks OK at non league level where it is mostly standing.
However I feel it would be totally impractical in densely seated areas of Championship and Premier League grounds.
It's bad enough now with late arrivals and half time tipplers getting to their seats 25 minutes after kick off.
Precisely and glad we all agree.
I need a Dark Rum 🥃 to celebrate common sense prevailing.
The hammy end bogs will be busier with booze in the seats!
I think it will be even busier with booze in the people 🤣
And quicker to get blocked up.
Where's Mr Woolly when you need him!! ::beer:: ::beer:: ::beer::