Friends of Fulham

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Wearethewhites on August 17, 2015, 05:19:33 PM

Title: Did anyone ever witness Steve Finnan have a bad game in a Fulham shirt?
Post by: Wearethewhites on August 17, 2015, 05:19:33 PM
He was never spectacular, but I remember him always being consistent, calm on the ball, professional, and just very reliable. Along with him, I'm trying to think of other Fulham players who were as consistent.
Title: Re: Did anyone ever witness Steve Finnan have a bad game in a Fulham shirt?
Post by: Ordar on August 17, 2015, 05:23:01 PM
I agree Finnan was a fantastic player. John Collins was pretty consistent as one off the top of my head
Title: Re: Did anyone ever witness Steve Finnan have a bad game in a Fulham shirt?
Post by: Burt on August 17, 2015, 05:24:48 PM
I have problems remembering what I did yesterday let alone how Steve Finnan played on a game-by-game basis but it would have been unusual for him to ever put in a below-par shift. He was very consistent, and consistently good.
Title: Re: Did anyone ever witness Steve Finnan have a bad game in a Fulham shirt?
Post by: FPT on August 17, 2015, 05:54:03 PM
I think time does cloud memory of course, I'm sure that there was a game or two where he a winger just had the better off him but I couldn't tell you one. What I do know is that he's comfortably the best right back we've ever had in my life time. The only Fulham player ever to be in a PFA Team of the Year speaks volumes. His post-football life sums him up well, you don't hear anything about Steve Finnan, I bet he keeps himself to himself making a few quid from property and enjoying his retirement with his family. His medal cabinet looks fantastic, and he's a player that deserves absolutely everything he's gotten on the football pitch.

I realise I've been no use to your question.
Title: Re: Did anyone ever witness Steve Finnan have a bad game in a Fulham shirt?
Post by: Andy S on August 17, 2015, 06:28:56 PM
I totally agree
Title: Re: Did anyone ever witness Steve Finnan have a bad game in a Fulham shirt?
Post by: cusackdribble on August 17, 2015, 06:44:20 PM
One of my favourite ever FFC players... rarely put a foot wrong

Now running a successful construction company with his brother I think...

http://www.finnanonline.co.uk/index.html (http://www.finnanonline.co.uk/index.html)

Title: Re: Did anyone ever witness Steve Finnan have a bad game in a Fulham shirt?
Post by: Barrett487 on August 17, 2015, 06:45:35 PM
Likewise, my memory isn't infallible, but my perception was that Ray Houghton didn't have a poor game.
Title: Re: Did anyone ever witness Steve Finnan have a bad game in a Fulham shirt?
Post by: dannyboi-ffc on August 17, 2015, 06:52:14 PM
Finnan never had a bad game. The only player in 13 years to be in the PFA team of the year. That shows you how good he was. Other than Cohen our greatest right back. Some I speak to even say Finnan was better than Cohen ability wise.

Best crosser of the ball I've seen at the Cottage and never got beat defensively despite not being blessed with great pace. For me the perfect full back and possibly the greatest to ever play outside the top flight.

How many can say they have played in all divisions from Conference to the prem,  holding the record with fulham for first team to make 100 points in a season twice and then going on to win the champs league and play in a world cup.

There can't be many. I salute you Sir Finnan! He should come back occasionally so that we can show our appreciation. The most deserving player to get that move to Liverpool. I was gutted but Steve was one player we had to accept deserved that chance
Title: Re: Did anyone ever witness Steve Finnan have a bad game in a Fulham shirt?
Post by: Jamie88 on August 17, 2015, 06:54:52 PM
It may be because I was fairly young and he was one of my favourite players at the time but I don't remember Steed ever having a shocker
Title: Re: Did anyone ever witness Steve Finnan have a bad game in a Fulham shirt?
Post by: Steven Ageroad on August 17, 2015, 06:59:24 PM
I can never remember him getting flustered and loosing his cool. He made that right back position look so easy.