Friends of Fulham

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Jimsbeerbelly on April 22, 2019, 12:31:19 PM

Title: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: Jimsbeerbelly on April 22, 2019, 12:31:19 PM
Wasn't a fan at first, still aren't, however, can't ignore the fact, that he's lifted morals, put smiles back on faces, and has players playing for the Club.

Still a few games to go yet, and who's to say that he shouldn't get his chance, he could be the next Eddie Howe, he could also be the next Kit Symons.

For me, his appointment would be 'high risk', and, I take on board that any appointment is high risk, but I just feel the Fulham job is a little to soon for Scotty Parker.

If, and I say an experienced coach comes along, and I'm talking hypothetically here, that Benitez wanted to drop a division to manage Fulham, this type of opportunity shouldn't be overlooked.

I understand that people think that we'll keep the majority of the team under Parker, however, when it all comes to ahead, and wages are reduced, I think a few will jump ship, and we'll have an inexperienced chap trying to piece it all together.

I'm hoping that the owners are looking at this, and this time around, make a business decision from the head, rather than the heart, otherwise, not only will they kill our chances of returning quickly, they will most likely kill a potential good, English coach in Parker.

Club has 2 options I my eyes, they appoint the best, based on their ambitions, trying to keep Parker, Grey, and the others as part of that coaching team, although the new guy would want to have this.

Or, they give Parker the gig, however, the owners buck their ideas up, and back him like no other coach has been backed before, with experienced staff, maybe someone up top, like a Pardew figure, quality transfers, and some say in how we run things.

Personally, I don't think Tony is that flexible, and I reckon we'll end up with another coach from somewhere, at the start of next season.
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: The Rational Fan on April 22, 2019, 12:38:47 PM
Scott Parker is still too inexperienced to be permanent manager. If we want to continue him as caretaker indefinitely fine.
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: I Ronic on April 22, 2019, 01:28:24 PM
It's not just the managers role you have to take into consideration. It's the coaches who work under a particular manager. Alistair Harris has been with the club a few years. Stuart Grey has come back. Three of Ranieri's coaches and one of Slavisa's are still working with Scott and Matt Wells has joined from Spurs. Bringing in someone else will probably lead to more upheaval. If the team puts in good performances in the last three games I'd leave Scott to get on with it. We (along with other clubs) brought in managers with all kinds of experience and it wasnt worked out.

If I had a vote it would be for SP!
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: ..FOF.. on April 22, 2019, 01:41:37 PM
Quote from: I Ronic on April 22, 2019, 01:28:24 PM
It's not just the managers role you have to take into consideration. It's the coaches who work under a particular manager. Alistair Harris has been with the club a few years. Stuart Grey has come back. Three of Ranieri's coaches and one of Slavisa's are still working with Scott and Matt Wells has joined from Spurs. Bringing in someone else will probably lead to more upheaval. If the team puts in good performances in the last three games I'd leave Scott to get on with it. We (along with other clubs) brought in managers with all kinds of experience and it wasnt worked out.

If I had a vote it would be for SP!

I agree, it seems the Khan is at least improving the backroom staff.

Parker need not be the best now, he only need to be able to work with the best.
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: Moltobueno on April 22, 2019, 02:01:14 PM
Wasn't a fan of him at first either, changed my mind by now. If he gets manager role for the next season, I'm backing it 100%.

Some mention here we need an experienced manager rather than Parker?
Someone who has won PL few years ago with a surprise team?
Has experiences coaching a top6 team and a middle table team?
Is Italian?
Allows players a Big Mac for a reward?

What can go wrong?
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: Nick Bateman on April 22, 2019, 02:11:00 PM
Parker has one major reason for being kept on in charge - he knows the players!!  Another Raneiri or Tinkerman could require half a season before he knows his best squad.
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: snarks on April 22, 2019, 02:17:37 PM
Well as the favourites are Clarke or Lennon, I would much prefer SP, mind you I thought there were definite improvements against Chelsea and Liverpool, of SP's games in charge the worst was Man City and that's not a shock.
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: Woolly Mammoth on April 22, 2019, 02:28:43 PM
Why would we want Clarke or Lennon, when we have Parker.
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: aaronmcguigan on April 22, 2019, 03:49:06 PM
If it is Parker, then give him the best backroom team we can find
. None of this bits of Ranieris team, some of Slavs men just to fill position.
We need a full experienced backroom team who work well together , complimenting each other and getting the best out of each other, whether that means poaching coaches from other teams then so be it.

Parker's lack of experience needs to be backed up with a lot of people he can rely on if he gets the job. I think Kit was given the job and was left out to dry in my opinion .

The managers job is only one position and i think the management team is vital to get right regardless of who is number 1.
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: RaySmith on April 22, 2019, 03:55:41 PM
Clarke and Lennon are the unknown - or what we do know about them isn't too inspiring, whereas Parker is in place, knows the club, and , most importantly, is doing a very good job with players who have  abjectly failed up to now this season.

Ok, so we did this before with Symons - but he actually steadied the ship after Magath, though  we obviously would expect more from Scott, with the potential squad he will have.
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: The Old Count on April 22, 2019, 04:33:27 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 22, 2019, 02:28:43 PM
Why would we want Clarke or Lennon, when we have Parker.


Exactly. 
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: Yamus on April 22, 2019, 05:20:32 PM
I can't remember the last time we were better in the second half,at least he seems to be able to read the game
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: The Old Count on April 22, 2019, 05:45:30 PM
Quote from: RaySmith on April 22, 2019, 03:55:41 PM
Clarke and Lennon are the unknown - or what we do know about them isn't too inspiring, whereas Parker is in place, knows the club, and , most importantly, is doing a very good job with players who have  abjectly failed up to now this season.

Ok, so we did this before with Symons - but he actually steadied the ship after Magath, though  we obviously would expect more from Scott, with the potential squad he will have.
This is spot on right.  The more I see of how the players are reacting and the more I hear from SP the more I think he is the best choice for manager.
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: WindyCity on April 22, 2019, 06:07:31 PM
Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on April 22, 2019, 12:31:19 PM
Wasn't a fan at first, still aren't, however, can't ignore the fact, that he's lifted morals, put smiles back on faces, and has players playing for the Club.


I wouldn't put a whole lot of 'optimism' in the clubs recent wins and the inference that it is a result of our new coach.  The remaining games are really no more than exhibition matches, with no pressure or importance attached.  Don't mean to be a downer about these wins, would rather see wins than not, but that is the reality.  Ownership will be charged with finding the best possible coach to bring the club back up to the PL in the shortest time possible AND improving the clubs' back line Defense!  I don't care what league FFC is in, if this defense is not improved, they will see bottom of table results and another possible drop.
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: grandad on April 22, 2019, 08:01:53 PM
I would give the job permanently to Parker provided we get a real D of F. Move TK to the business side of the club with no input into transfers.
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: Arthur on April 22, 2019, 10:27:13 PM
Quote from: WindyCity on April 22, 2019, 06:07:31 PM
I don't care what league FFC is in, if this defense is not improved, they will see bottom of table results and another possible drop.

We only need a right back, in my opinion, to have a decent Championship defence. I think that Bettinelli, Mawson, Ream and Bryan will do well, and Le Marchand and Odoi offer versatile cover. If we add more cover - fine. If we can add an even better centre-back to that group - great. But if our players are fit, I would say we're no more than one good full-back shy of not having any worries about being defensively vulnerable.
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: WindyCity on April 26, 2019, 02:56:39 PM
Quote from: Arthur on April 22, 2019, 10:27:13 PM
Quote from: WindyCity on April 22, 2019, 06:07:31 PM
I don't care what league FFC is in, if this defense is not improved, they will see bottom of table results and another possible drop.

We only need a right back, in my opinion, to have a decent Championship defence. I think that Bettinelli, Mawson, Ream and Bryan will do well, and Le Marchand and Odoi offer versatile cover. If we add more cover - fine. If we can add an even better centre-back to that group - great. But if our players are fit, I would say we're no more than one good full-back shy of not having any worries about being defensively vulnerable.

Well, I would think FFC needs more than just 'one' more strong backliner.  Maybe 2, or even more for cover.  Taking a look at a goalkeeper upgrade should also be on the table. 
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: Mitch on April 26, 2019, 05:01:17 PM
Part of the problem of making a coach with ambition to manage an interim is that they will look to do their best for themselves, which perversely may not always be the best for the club. That sounds strange, but I'm sure you follow my thinking at least - we're relegated so wins are fun and good for morale now, but 1. haven't done much for next season, in that we're playing players who won't be here and 2. where we've won, could almost force the owners arm when it comes to appointing the interim to a full-time role. That said, if Scott can get us winning consistently, then maybe he is a worthwhile bet as a manager compared to anyone else - particularly if it's from the same old merry-go-around.
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: WindyCity on April 27, 2019, 03:47:48 PM
Quote from: Mitch on April 26, 2019, 05:01:17 PM
Part of the problem of making a coach with ambition to manage an interim is that they will look to do their best for themselves, which perversely may not always be the best for the club. That sounds strange, but I'm sure you follow my thinking at least - we're relegated so wins are fun and good for morale now, but 1. haven't done much for next season, in that we're playing players who won't be here and 2. where we've won, could almost force the owners arm when it comes to appointing the interim to a full-time role. That said, if Scott can get us winning consistently, then maybe he is a worthwhile bet as a manager compared to anyone else - particularly if it's from the same old merry-go-around.

Not only that, but once we were officially relegated, they should have perhaps brought up some of the younger players to get their feet wet and understand what the 'speed' of the PL game looks like.  Sess has a kid brother who by all accounts should be a good player, why not at least let him play here at the end of season, along with some of his younger team mates.  I know we'll be in the Champ next year, but sure wouldn't hurt to have some players get a taste of PL speed.
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: AnOldBrownie on April 27, 2019, 06:22:16 PM
Quote from: Mitch on April 26, 2019, 05:01:17 PM
Part of the problem of making a coach with ambition to manage an interim is that they will look to do their best for themselves, which perversely may not always be the best for the club. That sounds strange, but I'm sure you follow my thinking at least - we're relegated so wins are fun and good for morale now, but 1. haven't done much for next season, in that we're playing players who won't be here and 2. where we've won, could almost force the owners arm when it comes to appointing the interim to a full-time role. That said, if Scott can get us winning consistently, then maybe he is a worthwhile bet as a manager compared to anyone else - particularly if it's from the same old merry-go-around.

Which players are you referring to that won't be here next year that should be replaced by youth?

Babel and Chambers?   I think both will be replaced with loan players next season.
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: davew on April 27, 2019, 06:38:26 PM
Quote from: Nick Bateman on April 22, 2019, 02:11:00 PM
Parker has one major reason for being kept on in charge - he knows the players!!  Another Raneiri or Tinkerman could require half a season before he knows his best squad.
He does but how many will still be here next season, probably not the top players? Most Fulham fans reckon (including me) that this seson we would probably finish mid table and certainly higher than Cardiff, as apparently we should have done last season, but we haven't and we didn't! Will we finish above them next season, if we lose Babel (which we will), Mitro (who we probably will), Sess (maybe), Cairney (hope not based on recent performances), Vietto (already agreed to leave), TFM (a loss but not  great loss) and Cardiff retain their squad, I hate to suggest that they might again finish above us, with both teams ending up mid table! The current sides fighting for the play off places will be there again next season and on matches I have seen in the Championship this season and I have watched many, I can really see us struggling to finish in the top 6.
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: Statto on April 27, 2019, 09:55:43 PM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on April 27, 2019, 06:22:16 PM
Quote from: Mitch on April 26, 2019, 05:01:17 PM
wins are fun and good for morale now, but 1. haven't done much for next season, in that we're playing players who won't be here

Which players are you referring to that won't be here next year that should be replaced by youth?

Babel and Chambers?   I think both will be replaced with loan players next season.


And dropping those two today would likely have resulted in a dispiriting home defeat that wouldn't have done any of those playing any good
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: filham on April 27, 2019, 10:13:01 PM
Let us wait until the season is over until we consider the matter so that we have as many facts as possible at hand.
Right now though Parker has won more games this season for us than either Ranieri or Jocanovic.
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: ALG01 on April 28, 2019, 11:11:23 AM
On the logic of experience...
Macdonald and adams would not have been appointed and they got us instant promotions.

Experienced managers we have had... branfoot, mckay, dicks, ranieri, buckingham, to name a few that were dreadful.

Parker would be a risk but other than getting slav back i do not see anyone else i like the look of better. And he has clearly focused his mind on a style and 11 that suit. Currently my instinct is give him the job.
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: One Martin Thomas on April 28, 2019, 11:13:49 AM
Like Utd, we need to do some weeding and rebuild from the back  ! Unless Parker is given a summer and the opportunity to build his own team we'll never know what he's capable of ! With parachute payments what they are, I think it's worth a go ! Why not a 12 month deal ?
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: Woolly Mammoth on April 28, 2019, 11:31:56 AM
The next game is the most important, which happens to be Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Scott will no doubt pick a team that will give him the best chance of winning the match.
I would do the same, he has to enhance his record as much as he can to be considered for the job on a permanent basis.
Plus supporters want to see Fulham play well and win games, as well as finishing with a flourish, perhaps with an unbeaten run, would be great feel good factor.
We can dissect this matter until the cows come home, but it's all about winning the next game, because if you do not, it could cost some people their job.
There has to be a winning mentality at this club from The Tea Lady downwards.
Something SP seems have gone some way to restoring.
Let's not underestimate what he has achieved here so far with what was clearly a divided dressing room, and a fractured club.
Remember it's a simple game, and the object of the exercise is to score more goals than the opposition.
It's statisticians and pundits on TV who make it sound complicated to justify their jobs.
Money helps clubs win Trophies these days.       
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: F(f)CUK on April 28, 2019, 01:15:18 PM
Irrespective of 3 wins, the most notable thing Parker has brought is the 3 clean sheets. This is a defence with le Marchand and Ream at its heart. The performances across the pitch have had energy and passion. It is a no brainer that we should employ Parker as the permanent manager.
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: The Rational Fan on April 28, 2019, 11:47:34 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on April 28, 2019, 11:11:23 AM
On the logic of experience...
Macdonald and adams would not have been appointed and they got us instant promotions.

Experienced managers we have had... branfoot, mckay, dicks, ranieri, buckingham, to name a few that were dreadful.

Parker would be a risk but other than getting slav back i do not see anyone else i like the look of better. And he has clearly focused his mind on a style and 11 that suit. Currently my instinct is give him the job.

Macdonald and Adams were risky decisions, but these managers were largely limited to free transfers, so how many mistakes could they make. Malcolm McDonald bought a washed up 20 year old called Ray Houghton for £0. Both Managers took risks because it was there only option and had the wye got great free transfers.
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: Andy S on April 29, 2019, 12:42:32 AM
There is no need to make a decision now. Being a manager is a lot more the picking the team on Saturday. We have no idea what he is like at the other stuff. I wouldn't make any decision until May or June the I would see how far he has progressed. If the answer is positive I would give him 10 games. Then what? I guess  sack him....... Who knows
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: The Rational Fan on April 29, 2019, 01:09:47 AM
Quote from: Andy S on April 29, 2019, 12:42:32 AM
There is no need to make a decision now. Being a manager is a lot more the picking the team on Saturday. We have no idea what he is like at the other stuff. I wouldn't make any decision until May or June the I would see how far he has progressed. If the answer is positive I would give him 10 games. Then what? I guess  sack him....... Who knows

People want to make Scott Parker permanent, but without loans of Rico, Chambers and Babel we would still struggle against Aston Villa and Leeds. Scott Parker has a long-term contract as assistant manager and coach, he can continue on that for a while.
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: Roberty on April 29, 2019, 03:12:02 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on April 29, 2019, 01:09:47 AM
Quote from: Andy S on April 29, 2019, 12:42:32 AM
There is no need to make a decision now. Being a manager is a lot more the picking the team on Saturday. We have no idea what he is like at the other stuff. I wouldn't make any decision until May or June the I would see how far he has progressed. If the answer is positive I would give him 10 games. Then what? I guess  sack him....... Who knows

People want to make Scott Parker permanent, but without loans of Rico, Chambers and Babel we would still struggle against Aston Villa and Leeds. Scott Parker has a long-term contract as assistant manager and coach, he can continue on that for a while.

Is a new manager going to accept SP being imposed upon him - these days managers seen to come with a complete entourage

When Wroy went to Liverpool he had the disruptive effect of "King Kenny" in the background telling everyone he would love to be the manager - would SP be like that if he was imposed on a new manager

Im his favour SP has worked with some of his generations top manager and has hopefully been bright enough to have learnt something
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: SuffolkWhite on April 29, 2019, 05:51:49 AM
Is SP the next Howe, a young Manager who does well?
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: clarkey on April 29, 2019, 06:53:50 AM
It is obviously the best thing to stick with Parker. Continuity is vital. The backroom staff are having a positive effect. Ream and Co are gelling again.

Scott has changed the playing formation, reverted to 4 at the back, we are not shipping goals. The individual mistakes are drying up.

Next season will be the Championship, the best long term solution is to stay with Scotty and then add a wise older head, who helps with the transfers in and recruitment. A Fulham director of Football, someone like Bobby Robson basically with ties to the club but international clout. Quite who not sure but NOT Pardew or Curbs, someone like Hodgson who must be close to retiring from Palace surely ?He would be perfect, he knows the World game brilliantly.

We need a good fullback to replace Christie, and then at least one covering centre back as Mawson is always injured. We need a box to box midfielder if we can't keep Chambers.  We need two strikers if Mitro goes, just cover for him otherwise.We need to get rid of a few, and get a couple of the kids into the squad. Keep Sess please.And Cairney.And Serri ideally.

By this time next year Scotty will be an experienced manager and the D of F will aid with the recruitment. This is not rocket science.
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: Twig on April 29, 2019, 10:38:59 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on April 29, 2019, 01:09:47 AM
Quote from: Andy S on April 29, 2019, 12:42:32 AM
There is no need to make a decision now. Being a manager is a lot more the picking the team on Saturday. We have no idea what he is like at the other stuff. I wouldn't make any decision until May or June the I would see how far he has progressed. If the answer is positive I would give him 10 games. Then what? I guess  sack him....... Who knows

People want to make Scott Parker permanent, but without loans of Rico, Chambers and Babel we would still struggle against Aston Villa and Leeds. Scott Parker has a long-term contract as assistant manager and coach, he can continue on that for a while.

I don't quite understand what your point is regards the loans of Rico, Chambers & Babel.  (I agree that the latter 2 have made a difference but if Betts were fit I don't see he'd struggle vs a Leeds or Villa).
However my main point is; what makes you think SP would want to stick around as assistant to a new manager?  We potentially have a choice, appoint him as manager or lose him to another club.  I think FFC have to get off the pot by end of season and make a decision. 
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: Oakeshott on April 29, 2019, 11:01:15 AM
For me it is self-evident that we should appoint SP for the 2019/20 season, for the reasons Clarkey nicely summarises in the first two lines of his post. Having seen the change around in the five defeats and now three wins, it is a no-brainer, especially given the kind of names being mentioned by way of alternatives.
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: hovewhite on April 30, 2019, 08:11:43 AM
Scotty the next permanent manager for me,also some of the names in the frame all have something in common there not winners and are on the same merry go round.
Also I would get brede involved on the coaching side as well.
Title: Re: The Parker Conundrum
Post by: toshes mate on April 30, 2019, 08:44:51 AM
Quote from: Twig on April 29, 2019, 10:38:59 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on April 29, 2019, 01:09:47 AM
Quote from: Andy S on April 29, 2019, 12:42:32 AM
There is no need to make a decision now. Being a manager is a lot more the picking the team on Saturday. We have no idea what he is like at the other stuff. I wouldn't make any decision until May or June the I would see how far he has progressed. If the answer is positive I would give him 10 games. Then what? I guess  sack him....... Who knows

People want to make Scott Parker permanent, but without loans of Rico, Chambers and Babel we would still struggle against Aston Villa and Leeds. Scott Parker has a long-term contract as assistant manager and coach, he can continue on that for a while.

I don't quite understand what your point is regards the loans of Rico, Chambers & Babel.  (I agree that the latter 2 have made a difference but if Betts were fit I don't see he'd struggle vs a Leeds or Villa).
However my main point is; what makes you think SP would want to stick around as assistant to a new manager?  We potentially have a choice, appoint him as manager or lose him to another club.  I think FFC have to get off the pot by end of season and make a decision. 
The sooner FFC make a decision about permanency in the manager/head coach role then the sooner players will know what the future playing squad will most likely appear to be, and what the cloud over Motspur Park will signify.  Changing managers is not just about results - it is also sending a message to players about the future most especially pertinent if the call doesn't suit any of them.  The Khans need to stop knee jerking and start to operate much more wisely, thoughtfully, and patiently.