We bounce back after Saturday's disappointing result v Crystal Palace, with a 2-1 win away at Wolves with goals from Ryan Sessegnon and Rodrigo Muniz.
We also rested 5 for this game, which makes the result equally as good, as Wolves have been on a decent run of form lately.
Based on that, let's have all you post Wolves feedback below..
(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Gkqc_8AXMAAVS3f?format=jpg&name=900x900)
#ffc #WOLFUL
::scarf::
Apparently our first ever PL win at Molineux too - random stat of the day.
I was not expecting the change in formation and personnel today. Well done Marco!
The only gripe is that we're back to doing nothing with the ball in possession when we're a goal up which didn't work vs a few teams like West Ham.
Muniz, Pereira and Sess all did well. Good to know that Ryan can step up if Robinson gets suspended or is off his game.
That pass from Traore to Muniz for the second goal was filthy.
Muniz Man of the Match for me. Ran his socks off. Held the ball up well and took his goal like a class centre forward.
Good result, not the best watch but a professional performance
Outplayed first half but edged it in the second. Two great goals and very solid defensively.
We did a great job shutting down Cunha in the second half.
Good result and typical Fulham, not won there since 1985!!!!
Jamie and GJ were saying that
3 wins and 1 loss in February is not bad, thinking about it, they are right.
We grew into the game. A good performance by most players today.
Who says we do not have a strong squad.
stressful way to start the day out in far east... worth ever bit of sleep deprivation!
Sess looked great tonight as did Muniz. I'm quick to criticize Pereira but the amount of work he got through tonight was astounding, would have had a goal too if not for Doyles last ditch tackle. Willian perfect player to bring on in that situation.
Raul and Robinson looked really poor coming on though but I shall forgive them.
Footnote for Castagne who's block probably got us over the line
We looked more in control after the substitutions. Problem with 5 at the back is we tend to lose the midfield and have less possession as we're one short in midfield. Anyway, a win was important so onwards and upwards.
Quote from: SuffolkWhite on February 25, 2025, 09:36:50 PMGood result and typical Fulham, not won there since 1985!!!!
Jamie and GJ were saying that
3 wins and 1 loss in February is not bad, thinking about it, they are right.
Really tight in our area of the table. We have a chance for a really special season.
Two well taken goals and then excellent protection of our lead. The three straight corners near the end were a little scary, but Wolves never really threatened in the second half. Berge probably my MOTM but brave performance by Castagne I thought. He played very well and we needed him to.
Quote from: Gezza on February 25, 2025, 09:35:43 PMMuniz Man of the Match for me. Ran his socks off. Held the ball up well and took his goal like a class centre forward.
He was really good, totally agree.
Raúl was frustrating. Brilliant centre forward play but unable to put the game to bed for us.
I thought Cuenca stepped up well too, his first Premier League start, I think? I really like him.
First win there in 40 years!
::scarf:: Gutsy performance... held out well.... I hate it when we sit so deep... solid and deserved...
COYW
Lukic is out for Sunday right coz he picked up the yellow?
Quote from: fulhamfever on February 25, 2025, 09:43:53 PMLukic is out for Sunday right coz he picked up the yellow?
No, I don't think so. Cup is different from league.
We rested some important players, by either starting them on the bench or subbing them early. Performance was disjointed at times, but that was to be expected, considering the fact that that lineup have never played together in a competitive match.
Muniz my MOTM, by far, and he has to start in the cup, in my opinion. He's been in superb form, while Raul's form has slightly dropped (still good, but not as good as Muniz).
Adama also superb.
Sess, very well taken goal, and some good moments. A bit iffy defensively a few times.
Castagne, looked a bit shaky at times, but important block in the end.
Bring on Manchester United!
Quote from: demeant0r on February 25, 2025, 09:34:38 PMI was not expecting the change in formation and personnel today. Well done Marco!
The only gripe is that we're back to doing nothing with the ball in possession when we're a goal up which didn't work vs a few teams like West Ham.
As said in another post, I disagree. I think we did quite a lot with the ball, and were the much better team for the last 25 minutes or so.
Great win and nice of the team to shut down some of the noise on here that our squad depth is crap, especially considering a total change in system tonight as well
Wolves are a team I truly enjoy, and I really hope they stay in the EPL. The game was certainly better than the one against Crystal. Getting those three points on the road was essential! The standout players for Fulham today are Diop, Castagne, and Amada.
Very good win.
But if we look to our Premier League schedule in the next few games (Brighton, Tottenham, Arsenal, Liverpool, Bournemouth), i think our chances to get a european spot are very short. Schedule is very very dificult.
For now, bring a win from Old Trafford and a place on the next round of FA Cup. ::scarf::
I still think Sess is a winger not a fullback. He looked good today. Diop looked hungry and maybe Marco needs to work him in and Andersen out a bit more often. The setup that started the match made for a nice goal early on but they had 60% possession. Ya can't score if you don't have the ball.
Quote from: Deeping_white on February 25, 2025, 09:48:17 PMGreat win and nice of the team to shut down some of the noise on here that our squad depth is crap, especially considering a total change in system tonight as well
I'm not aware anyone has said our squad depth is crap. Some have argued it needs to be improved either due to age or in order to kick on next season to try for Europe, but crap? I stand to be corrected but certainly haven't read that argument anywhere.
Quote from: Sting of the North on February 25, 2025, 09:46:28 PMQuote from: demeant0r on February 25, 2025, 09:34:38 PMI was not expecting the change in formation and personnel today. Well done Marco!
The only gripe is that we're back to doing nothing with the ball in possession when we're a goal up which didn't work vs a few teams like West Ham.
As said in another post, I disagree. I think we did quite a lot with the ball, and were the much better team for the last 25 minutes or so.
I think I just have nightmares about how we kept losing/drawing to last minute goals because we were being so defensive.
So much for no depth in the squad.
Quote from: Twig on February 25, 2025, 09:51:42 PMQuote from: Deeping_white on February 25, 2025, 09:48:17 PMGreat win and nice of the team to shut down some of the noise on here that our squad depth is crap, especially considering a total change in system tonight as well
I'm not aware anyone has said our squad depth is crap. Some have argued it needs to be improved either due to age or in order to kick on next season to try for Europe, but crap? I stand to be corrected but certainly haven't read that argument anywhere.
There was a few posts after the Palace game that our squad is one of the weakest PL squads we've ever had, which to me was quite disrespectful considering how we've had a good season so far and stand a shot at European football, with our fringe players all contributing successfully throughout the season too
4 points off 5th and we're all aware of the games we dropped point in when perhaps we shouldn't have.
Appreciate there are fine lines, but we're really giving it a go this season and credit has to be given to Marco, the coaches and squad.
The potential is definitely there.
To beat Wolves, at a ground we've never won a PL game at, with a whole host of changes to our normal starting 11 in Cuenca, Sessegnon, Muniz, Pereira and Diop all starting when they don't normally is a healthy sign.
Who knows what'll happen on the weekend vs Man Utd, but we got to rest Bassey, Willian, Jimenez, ESR, Iwobi, Robinson for a large chunk of the game. Given Wolves are actually doing decently at the moment and dispatched us 4-1 at the Cottage, it's a pretty great result.
That was very competent. Practically everyone played well. Subs worked a treat. The timing of Bassey for Cuenca was perfect. Just as the young man's concentration might have been wavering we brought on a monstrous ball-magnet. Willian is Clark Kent - mild mannered and inoffensive anywhere else, put him in a Fulham changing room, he emerges for short bursts of heroics. Jiminez got himself in all the right positions, Iwobi never gives the ball away and Robinson, well Robinson just stored up his worst 15 minutes of the season, puts it behind him and we still won.
Well done Marco.
Who said Muniz can't start? Showing again what a brilliant finisher he is. Very good performance.
For me MoM was Andreas who looks back to his best.
Sess showing continued signs that he's getting back to the player we know he can be. Was like a rewind seeing him arrive at the right time and put it away.
Diop another good showing. He's been our best defender this season I think. Andersen is there for his on ball abilities though.
Willian very assured cameo, looking a shrewd move. Brings much needed calm and composure.
Adama has truly established himself, a great assist.
Jedi had a total disaster in his cameo. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong, and a really poor miss from Raul to kill the game or square it to Iwobi. Had all the time in the world and made it so easy for Sa, and made it an uncomfortable end. Would have loved him to seal it at Molineux.
Soooooo, is Europe 🇪🇺 back on again or at least until the next defeat :cheesy:
Happy that Iwobi got to have a bit of rest. Has been played almost every minute with the injuries on the wings and has been starting to look a bit worn recent weeks.
Fantastic result with some squad rotation. What's not to like?
Quote from: LPNCanadian on February 25, 2025, 09:50:00 PMWolves are a team I truly enjoy, and I really hope they stay in the EPL. The game was certainly better than the one against Crystal. Getting those three points on the road was essential! The standout players for Fulham today are Diop, Castagne, and Amada.
Yeah! The guy is our Spanish Amada!
Quote from: Tabby on February 25, 2025, 09:35:41 PMMuniz, Pereira and Sess all did well. Good to know that Ryan can step up if Robinson gets suspended or is off his game.
That pass from Traore to Muniz for the second goal was filthy.
I think Sess is a better crosser, finisher, first touch and general forward play than Robinson, why not play both with Sess further forward, keep Robinson back
My Grandfather would have enjoyed that . He saw them lose 9-0 there in 1959 .
One stat I'd like to point out is: Adama now has five assists this season and we were on the winning side for each of the games where he had an assist. This man is a juggernaut.
Please let's not aggregate after one win anymore than we should over criticise after one defeat. Palace good result tonight proves they are on a roll. Wolves to be fair are much improved and ur result tonight proved we are probably top ten. Many will think we deserve more but inconsistency is still there.
Muniz for me makes such a difference. His hold up and power led to the first goal. His physicality makes a difference yet he has the skill to make the little chip for the winner. Jimenez is a different type of player and him not taking the chance when he came on with admittedly being at an angle but with just the keeper to beat proves the difference between the two.
A very good result after the weekend. But let's not over do the Europe talk.
Quote from: IloveFFC on February 25, 2025, 09:50:13 PMVery good win.
But if we look to our Premier League schedule in the next few games (Brighton, Tottenham, Arsenal, Liverpool, Bournemouth), i think our chances to get a european spot are very short. Schedule is very very dificult.
For now, bring a win from Old Trafford and a place on the next round of FA Cup. ::scarf::
Have you not watched us this season? Weirdly these are the sort of games we get results from!
Quote from: Zendra on February 25, 2025, 10:12:44 PMMy Grandfather would have enjoyed that . He saw them lose 9-0 there in 1959 .
I seem to remember Wolves as being at their peak then. Billy Wright, Ron Flowers etc. They could be boring though.
Quote from: YankeeJim on February 25, 2025, 09:50:23 PMI still think Sess is a winger not a fullback. He looked good today. Diop looked hungry and maybe Marco needs to work him in and Andersen out a bit more often. The setup that started the match made for a nice goal early on but they had 60% possession. Ya can't score if you don't have the ball.
Well they had the ball and only managed 1 goal.
Jeez we are such a strange side this season. But I love it
Quote from: YankeeJim on February 25, 2025, 09:50:23 PMI still think Sess is a winger not a fullback. He looked good today. Diop looked hungry and maybe Marco needs to work him in and Andersen out a bit more often. The setup that started the match made for a nice goal early on but they had 60% possession. Ya can't score if you don't have the ball.
Apparently we had it for 40% of the time. And we scored twice.
Quote from: YankeeJim on February 25, 2025, 09:50:23 PMI still think Sess is a winger not a fullback. He looked good today. Diop looked hungry and maybe Marco needs to work him in and Andersen out a bit more often. The setup that started the match made for a nice goal early on but they had 60% possession. Ya can't score if you don't have the ball.
Nottingham Forest prime example of low possession and winning games, and another example is Wolves apparently had 60% possession and lost...........
Elusive win at Stamford Bridge, elusive win at Molineux, still yet to play Arsenal Away!
Quote from: demeant0r on February 25, 2025, 10:14:26 PMOne stat I'd like to point out is: Adama now has five assists this season and we were on the winning side for each of the games where he had an assist. This man is a juggernaut.
Quote from: Zendra on February 25, 2025, 10:12:44 PMMy Grandfather would have enjoyed that . He saw them lose 9-0 there in 1959 .
So did I. Revenge is sweet!
Diop was an absolute monster at the back!
Quote from: demeant0r on February 25, 2025, 10:14:26 PMOne stat I'd like to point out is: Adama now has five assists this season and we were on the winning side for each of the games where he had an assist. This man is a juggernaut.
"AdAMa HaS no eNd PrODuCt"
He's been effective his entire time here and his crossing has even deserved more assists than he has to be quite honest. So strong on the ball, no lack of skill either, able to cut in and spread the play, able to get to the byline, causes concern that opens up room for our other attackers. He's quality and another top signing on a free. Sure he lacks a bit of finishing prowess but he's a huge asset to our attacking threat.
Hope we can tie him up for a other couple years because otherwise at this rate another decent European club might well take a punt.
Sess has a unique ability to find space, and he showed that again today. He needs to play further up the field.
Man of the match is Muniz for me, I think he should start ahead of Jimenez
Quote from: LittleErn on February 25, 2025, 10:24:55 PMQuote from: YankeeJim on February 25, 2025, 09:50:23 PMI still think Sess is a winger not a fullback. He looked good today. Diop looked hungry and maybe Marco needs to work him in and Andersen out a bit more often. The setup that started the match made for a nice goal early on but they had 60% possession. Ya can't score if you don't have the ball.
Apparently we had it for 40% of the time. And we scored twice.
Palace literally had 37.8% possession Saturday and completely outplayed us. Considering how good we are on transition I sometimes wish we had less frigging possession. ::thumb::
I somehow completely forgot we were playing until I saw the result in my news feed. Looking forward to digesting it properly tomorrow ::wine::
Well I was at the game and it was terrifying hoping we didn't do a West Ham/Everton.
Honestly what is this team like? You just literally don't have a clue what is going to happen before we play. Every time we all think it's going to be easy we lose or draw. Every time we think it's going to be really tough (I'm including g today in that) we pull something out of the bag. We put our passports away in despair. We get them out again in elation. Over the season we have definitely had more Forrest performances than Palace (as XG tables show) and should have more points. Today we really just ground it out in the end I'd say which to be fair we could have used a bit more of this season.
A huge performance after last week. Honestly my biggest concern when we got Silva was at other clubs when the going got tough he seemed to crumble. Not even a sniff of the since he's been with us. Our bouncebackability is ridiculous.
I've watched plenty of Wolves games this year where they have looked really good and they did in patches today. All credit to us however as second half defended brilliantly and put away our chances very well. Muniz now has 8 goals in 981 minutes of football this season. He's only 23. Still believe he can be massive for us.
Looking forward to watching the game back. Still well in the mix here. Frustrating in so many ways with so many games we could have got more out of but honestly this team, or perhaps more apt squad today, just never gives up in the face of adversity and all credit to them. Up the F'ing Fulham. COYW
Quote from: Tabby on February 25, 2025, 09:35:41 PMMuniz, Pereira and Sess all did well. Good to know that Ryan can step up if Robinson gets suspended or is off his game.
That pass from Traore to Muniz for the second goal was filthy.
Sess has to play further up the field. He will score goals if we play him higher up
Never go back - Sess!
I do spend quite a bit of time reading opponents forums pre and post game (what happened to TerryR?!) and I have to say that the Wolves forum that I have read tonight has been the fairest and most complimentary that I have ever seen.
Sure they talk about how bad their team was tonight but not a single post slating the usual 'tin pot Fulham' shat or anything like that. Just compliments really, and trust me that is a rare thing!
https://www.wolvesforum.co.uk/threads/wolves-1-2-fulham-verdict-thread.38768/
Cheers lads.
Quote from: LC on February 26, 2025, 12:48:51 AMQuote from: Tabby on February 25, 2025, 09:35:41 PMMuniz, Pereira and Sess all did well. Good to know that Ryan can step up if Robinson gets suspended or is off his game.
That pass from Traore to Muniz for the second goal was filthy.
Sess has to play further up the field. He will score goals if we play him higher up
His end product whether it be crossing or finishing in the limited playing time has been ridiculously good and something we have been sorely lacking in some games this season. Looking better and better and really hope he gets more game time.
He's one of our own bellowing out of the away end during and after the game was a thing of beauty. Hope he loves it as much as we all did. Josh King take heed and sign a new contract please. ::thumb::
Quote from: Drewry66 on February 25, 2025, 11:39:01 PMQuote from: LittleErn on February 25, 2025, 10:24:55 PMQuote from: YankeeJim on February 25, 2025, 09:50:23 PMI still think Sess is a winger not a fullback. He looked good today. Diop looked hungry and maybe Marco needs to work him in and Andersen out a bit more often. The setup that started the match made for a nice goal early on but they had 60% possession. Ya can't score if you don't have the ball.
Apparently we had it for 40% of the time. And we scored twice.
Palace literally had 37.8% possession Saturday and completely outplayed us. Considering how good we are on transition I sometimes wish we had less frigging possession. ::thumb::
Seems that when we're at the Cottage our opponents generally sit a bit deeper and let us have the ball more.
Away from home we don't really get that problem and it turns into a transitional type game which seems to suit us better as you point out
Quote from: Drewry66 on February 26, 2025, 01:01:57 AMQuote from: LC on February 26, 2025, 12:48:51 AMQuote from: Tabby on February 25, 2025, 09:35:41 PMMuniz, Pereira and Sess all did well. Good to know that Ryan can step up if Robinson gets suspended or is off his game.
That pass from Traore to Muniz for the second goal was filthy.
Sess has to play further up the field. He will score goals if we play him higher up
His end product whether it be crossing or finishing in the limited playing time has been ridiculously good and something we have been sorely lacking in some games this season. Looking better and better and really hope he gets more game time.
He's one of our own bellowing out of the away end during and after the game was a thing of beauty. Hope he loves it as much as we all did. Josh King take heed and sign a new contract please. ::thumb::
Indeed, I hope King and Sess have a conversation. Sess was such a big talent, how old was he in the 17/18 season? 16, 17, 18 years old? He scored 16 goals and grabbed 8 assists that season according to whoscored.
That block Castagne made near the end was immense
Brilliant game, thoroughly enjoyed it
I voted for Cuenca for MoM on the Offal. Obviously Muniz was superb but i wanted to give Jorge a mention. You see him on the Motspur Park videos and he's always smiling, always looks positive and i thought in only his second PL start was flawless. Bassey needs to keep his form - Jorge is coming for you Calvin. He can also, apparently, play left back, Need to keep him sweet.
Good to rest key players and to win was a bonus. Hope Smith Rowe is ok.
About time our luck changes at Very Old Leaky Trafford on Sunday. Take waterproofs and please get a fair referee.
I know Silva said that because we were short on wingers we had to use the 3/5 back formation, but I pray we never stray from it. The options we have are so immediate, not only in a route one, but in terms of team identity. One moment we can combine multiple passes in any direction and switch it, and in the next moment we can send a hopeful ball over the top to chase down and have enough support to find triggers to pressure on the opponents first touch. That type of attacking prowess paired up with 3 big center backs in front of Leno are such a strong vote of confidence to dig in deep like we do.
I would love for Silva to find a way that Sess and Robinson can be on the field at the same time. Sess on the ball is what we've always known, and his crossing is the best in the entire team - something we just have not tapped into as much. Take into the fact that he's a goal-scorer now - something Robinson, Tete or Castagne do not have tied to their name at the moment.
Buzzing after the match, and am too excited for the FA Cup v United - and I think it's more so to see if Marco stays with this 3/5 - but regardless...in Marco We Trust.
Fair play to the manager and the team. Great to keep bouncing back after a defeat shows some character. Have to admit I thought team selection was a slight concern. Had a feeling if we had lost last night it might have seen us dumped out the cup as well being the week that curtailed our season! Now we go to Old Trafford very buoyant and I just don't want to even think of us losing to them three times this season. Be nice to have some headlines of ourselves being the team that knocked the current holders out of the F.A.Cup this season.
Quote from: Matt10 on February 26, 2025, 06:00:11 AMI know Silva said that because we were short on wingers we had to use the 3/5 back formation, but I pray we never stray from it. The options we have are so immediate, not only in a route one, but in terms of team identity. One moment we can combine multiple passes in any direction and switch it, and in the next moment we can send a hopeful ball over the top to chase down and have enough support to find triggers to pressure on the opponents first touch. That type of attacking prowess paired up with 3 big center backs in front of Leno are such a strong vote of confidence to dig in deep like we do.
I would love for Silva to find a way that Sess and Robinson can be on the field at the same time. Sess on the ball is what we've always known, and his crossing is the best in the entire team - something we just have not tapped into as much. Take into the fact that he's a goal-scorer now - something Robinson, Tete or Castagne do not have tied to their name at the moment.
Buzzing after the match, and am too excited for the FA Cup v United - and I think it's more so to see if Marco stays with this 3/5 - but regardless...in Marco We Trust.
Would you leave out ESR to accommodate the extra defender?
I'd love to see some more starts for Sess but I'm not sure we'd start him alongside Robinson, they'd be getting in each others way surely?
Quote from: Zendra on February 25, 2025, 10:12:44 PMMy Grandfather would have enjoyed that . He saw them lose 9-0 there in 1959 .
We beat them 3-1 the week before, I think we must have ruffled feathers. I still recall Sportsnight informing the score....painful.
Quote from: SuffolkWhite on February 25, 2025, 10:03:46 PMSoooooo, is Europe 🇪🇺 back on again or at least until the next defeat :cheesy:
I hope not, I think we need another season to enhance the squad further. And anyway I'm not a lover of the Conf.
A fine example of the character and depth of the squad.
Further example, if needed, of Silva's tactical acumen.
Good to see footballers enjoying their work.
For me, one of the moments of the season - Sess scoring a Sess-type goal.
Not sure if this has been mentioned as of yet. In the first half at 1-1 we were being pushed back until Marco moved Traore to the left and he started causing havoc. This continued right at the start of the second half with Adama's perfect pass for Rodrigo's sublime finish.
Well done Marco. ::thumb::
Thank you and good night...and what a good night it was!
Quote from: bog on February 26, 2025, 01:15:16 PMNot sure if this has been mentioned as of yet. In the first half at 1-1 we were being pushed back until Marco moved Traore to the left and he started causing havoc. This continued right at the start of the second half with Adama's perfect pass for Rodrigo's sublime finish.
Well done Marco. ::thumb::
Thank you and good night...and what a good night it was!
It was tactically astute, Silva spotted a gap between RB and RCB, then Traore and Muniz exploited it.
Quote from: Bassey the warrior on February 26, 2025, 07:17:15 AMQuote from: Matt10 on February 26, 2025, 06:00:11 AMI know Silva said that because we were short on wingers we had to use the 3/5 back formation, but I pray we never stray from it. The options we have are so immediate, not only in a route one, but in terms of team identity. One moment we can combine multiple passes in any direction and switch it, and in the next moment we can send a hopeful ball over the top to chase down and have enough support to find triggers to pressure on the opponents first touch. That type of attacking prowess paired up with 3 big center backs in front of Leno are such a strong vote of confidence to dig in deep like we do.
I would love for Silva to find a way that Sess and Robinson can be on the field at the same time. Sess on the ball is what we've always known, and his crossing is the best in the entire team - something we just have not tapped into as much. Take into the fact that he's a goal-scorer now - something Robinson, Tete or Castagne do not have tied to their name at the moment.
Buzzing after the match, and am too excited for the FA Cup v United - and I think it's more so to see if Marco stays with this 3/5 - but regardless...in Marco We Trust.
Would you leave out ESR to accommodate the extra defender?
I think it'd just be a battle between ESR and Pereira. Personally I think them both on the pitch would be a masterclass in creativity and goal scoring chances. They haven't had much chance to do that lately either since now they're both competing for the 10 spot. It would interesting to see them in those two attacking midfield positions. However, I think with Lukic out, Pereira may be in the double pivot with Berge soon.
The 3-4-2-1 is such a good formation for us because it presents our strengths in how we attack anyways. We attract defending players wide so we can play back inside, while we get our wingbacks quite advanced to put the decisions on our attacking midfielders/10s. Look at the Sessegnon goal, the closest Fulham player to the ball hitting the back of the net is Castagne. The great thing is the role can change by personnel, such as Traore, who is usually an inverted winger, was moved to the left side because he couldn't beat Toti on the right, so Marco moves him to the right and now he's got free reign to do as he pleases because he no longer has to face up against Toti or defend the likes of Aït-Nouri. Played a brilliant ball to Muniz of course as well.
Quote from: Matt10 on February 26, 2025, 02:00:39 PMQuote from: Bassey the warrior on February 26, 2025, 07:17:15 AMQuote from: Matt10 on February 26, 2025, 06:00:11 AMI know Silva said that because we were short on wingers we had to use the 3/5 back formation, but I pray we never stray from it. The options we have are so immediate, not only in a route one, but in terms of team identity. One moment we can combine multiple passes in any direction and switch it, and in the next moment we can send a hopeful ball over the top to chase down and have enough support to find triggers to pressure on the opponents first touch. That type of attacking prowess paired up with 3 big center backs in front of Leno are such a strong vote of confidence to dig in deep like we do.
I would love for Silva to find a way that Sess and Robinson can be on the field at the same time. Sess on the ball is what we've always known, and his crossing is the best in the entire team - something we just have not tapped into as much. Take into the fact that he's a goal-scorer now - something Robinson, Tete or Castagne do not have tied to their name at the moment.
Buzzing after the match, and am too excited for the FA Cup v United - and I think it's more so to see if Marco stays with this 3/5 - but regardless...in Marco We Trust.
Would you leave out ESR to accommodate the extra defender?
I think it'd just be a battle between ESR and Pereira. Personally I think them both on the pitch would be a masterclass in creativity and goal scoring chances. They haven't had much chance to do that lately either since now they're both competing for the 10 spot. It would interesting to see them in those two attacking midfield positions. However, I think with Lukic out, Pereira may be in the double pivot with Berge soon.
The 3-4-2-1 is such a good formation for us because it presents our strengths in how we attack anyways. We attract defending players wide so we can play back inside, while we get our wingbacks quite advanced to put the decisions on our attacking midfielders/10s. Look at the Sessegnon goal, the closest Fulham player to the ball hitting the back of the net is Castagne. The great thing is the role can change by personnel, such as Traore, who is usually an inverted winger, was moved to the left side because he couldn't beat Toti on the right, so Marco moves him to the right and now he's got free reign to do as he pleases because he no longer has to face up against Toti or defend the likes of Aït-Nouri. Played a brilliant ball to Muniz of course as well.
Assuming everyone was fit, what would your preferred starting line up be?
Quote from: bog on February 26, 2025, 08:23:31 AMQuote from: Zendra on February 25, 2025, 10:12:44 PMMy Grandfather would have enjoyed that . He saw them lose 9-0 there in 1959 .
We beat them 3-1 the week before, I think we must have ruffled feathers. I still recall Sportsnight informing the score....painful.
It would have been "Sportsview" (with Peter Dimmock?). I remember that result. According to the Daily Herald (probably), the Fulham players clapped the Wolves players off the field that night. How times have changed !
Quote from: Fulham1959 on February 26, 2025, 02:34:02 PMQuote from: bog on February 26, 2025, 08:23:31 AMQuote from: Zendra on February 25, 2025, 10:12:44 PMMy Grandfather would have enjoyed that . He saw them lose 9-0 there in 1959 .
We beat them 3-1 the week before, I think we must have ruffled feathers. I still recall Sportsnight informing the score....painful.
It would have been "Sportsview" (with Peter Dimmock?). I remember that result. According to the Daily Herald (probably), the Fulham players clapped the Wolves players off the field that night. How times have changed !
Thanks for putting me straight! I didn't know that about Fulham players clapping them off the pitch. Yes times have changed!!
Wow Fulham players gave Wolves players the clap. No wonder they dont like us. :slap:
Quote from: Bassey the warrior on February 26, 2025, 02:25:53 PMQuote from: Matt10 on February 26, 2025, 02:00:39 PMQuote from: Bassey the warrior on February 26, 2025, 07:17:15 AMQuote from: Matt10 on February 26, 2025, 06:00:11 AMI know Silva said that because we were short on wingers we had to use the 3/5 back formation, but I pray we never stray from it. The options we have are so immediate, not only in a route one, but in terms of team identity. One moment we can combine multiple passes in any direction and switch it, and in the next moment we can send a hopeful ball over the top to chase down and have enough support to find triggers to pressure on the opponents first touch. That type of attacking prowess paired up with 3 big center backs in front of Leno are such a strong vote of confidence to dig in deep like we do.
I would love for Silva to find a way that Sess and Robinson can be on the field at the same time. Sess on the ball is what we've always known, and his crossing is the best in the entire team - something we just have not tapped into as much. Take into the fact that he's a goal-scorer now - something Robinson, Tete or Castagne do not have tied to their name at the moment.
Buzzing after the match, and am too excited for the FA Cup v United - and I think it's more so to see if Marco stays with this 3/5 - but regardless...in Marco We Trust.
Would you leave out ESR to accommodate the extra defender?
I think it'd just be a battle between ESR and Pereira. Personally I think them both on the pitch would be a masterclass in creativity and goal scoring chances. They haven't had much chance to do that lately either since now they're both competing for the 10 spot. It would interesting to see them in those two attacking midfield positions. However, I think with Lukic out, Pereira may be in the double pivot with Berge soon.
The 3-4-2-1 is such a good formation for us because it presents our strengths in how we attack anyways. We attract defending players wide so we can play back inside, while we get our wingbacks quite advanced to put the decisions on our attacking midfielders/10s. Look at the Sessegnon goal, the closest Fulham player to the ball hitting the back of the net is Castagne. The great thing is the role can change by personnel, such as Traore, who is usually an inverted winger, was moved to the left side because he couldn't beat Toti on the right, so Marco moves him to the right and now he's got free reign to do as he pleases because he no longer has to face up against Toti or defend the likes of Aït-Nouri. Played a brilliant ball to Muniz of course as well.
Assuming everyone was fit, what would your preferred starting line up be?
It's tough because we are a bit spoiled for choice!
It will never happen, but since we are used to defending in a 4 back anyways, I'd go with the 3-4-2-1, but put Sess as the LW, so we're defending in a 4-4-2 shape. I just think his on the ball play is so good and something we are missing badly on the left hand side. Sess can put in a cross with pace, can score goals, and can defend decently to boot. Jedi can play more tucked in, but can also be out wide to defend and support attacks when needed. On the right hand side, you have another distributor of the ball with Pereira who can send in a cross with pace and break the lines.
The main negative in build-up is that Andersen is on the left side and Diop on the right. So it means a lot more early diagonal switches of play from Andersen rather than our sideways short passing movement when it's a RCB and LCB trying to attract defending players inside. It could result in a good opposition to recognize patterns to find high pressure triggers in our build-up, something as simple as the ball being on Andersen's back foot from a Diop pass.
Base position: 3-4-2-1
(https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/9355/d7dnSI.png)
Attacking shape: 2-3-4-1
(https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/408/HjhbZw.png)
Defensive shape: 4-4-2
(https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/2211/wKIGOv.png)
The big omissions are Iwobi, Traore and Bassey though, and why I went back and forth. They could easily be inserted to shift the personnel, but going off of recent form, I just don't trust Bassey for the two goals he's responsible for in the 1v1 situations (Wood and Munoz) from Forest and Palace matches. Of course he scored shortly after in the Forest match. Traore is a force, and he had a brilliant assist with his left the last couple of matches, but his decision making is questionable at times. Iwobi is a tough one because he's been solid this season and I liked him in that attacking midfield role in the Wolves match, so it could be a natural adjustment. I just think Pereira's range of passing abilities follow the theme of creativity that the 3-4-2-1 sets up.
With just a couple personnel changes, the theme can change as well - which is why it's such a versatile formation. I'd love to implement it for my U12 and U11 teams I coach, but being in the US, these kids just need to play more first.
Quote from: Matt10 on February 26, 2025, 04:42:53 PMQuote from: Bassey the warrior on February 26, 2025, 02:25:53 PMQuote from: Matt10 on February 26, 2025, 02:00:39 PMQuote from: Bassey the warrior on February 26, 2025, 07:17:15 AMQuote from: Matt10 on February 26, 2025, 06:00:11 AMI know Silva said that because we were short on wingers we had to use the 3/5 back formation, but I pray we never stray from it. The options we have are so immediate, not only in a route one, but in terms of team identity. One moment we can combine multiple passes in any direction and switch it, and in the next moment we can send a hopeful ball over the top to chase down and have enough support to find triggers to pressure on the opponents first touch. That type of attacking prowess paired up with 3 big center backs in front of Leno are such a strong vote of confidence to dig in deep like we do.
I would love for Silva to find a way that Sess and Robinson can be on the field at the same time. Sess on the ball is what we've always known, and his crossing is the best in the entire team - something we just have not tapped into as much. Take into the fact that he's a goal-scorer now - something Robinson, Tete or Castagne do not have tied to their name at the moment.
Buzzing after the match, and am too excited for the FA Cup v United - and I think it's more so to see if Marco stays with this 3/5 - but regardless...in Marco We Trust.
Would you leave out ESR to accommodate the extra defender?
I think it'd just be a battle between ESR and Pereira. Personally I think them both on the pitch would be a masterclass in creativity and goal scoring chances. They haven't had much chance to do that lately either since now they're both competing for the 10 spot. It would interesting to see them in those two attacking midfield positions. However, I think with Lukic out, Pereira may be in the double pivot with Berge soon.
The 3-4-2-1 is such a good formation for us because it presents our strengths in how we attack anyways. We attract defending players wide so we can play back inside, while we get our wingbacks quite advanced to put the decisions on our attacking midfielders/10s. Look at the Sessegnon goal, the closest Fulham player to the ball hitting the back of the net is Castagne. The great thing is the role can change by personnel, such as Traore, who is usually an inverted winger, was moved to the left side because he couldn't beat Toti on the right, so Marco moves him to the right and now he's got free reign to do as he pleases because he no longer has to face up against Toti or defend the likes of Aït-Nouri. Played a brilliant ball to Muniz of course as well.
Assuming everyone was fit, what would your preferred starting line up be?
It's tough because we are a bit spoiled for choice!
It will never happen, but since we are used to defending in a 4 back anyways, I'd go with the 3-4-2-1, but put Sess as the LW, so we're defending in a 4-4-2 shape. I just think his on the ball play is so good and something we are missing badly on the left hand side. Sess can put in a cross with pace, can score goals, and can defend decently to boot. Jedi can play more tucked in, but can also be out wide to defend and support attacks when needed. On the right hand side, you have another distributor of the ball with Pereira who can send in a cross with pace and break the lines.
The main negative in build-up is that Andersen is on the left side and Diop on the right. So it means a lot more early diagonal switches of play from Andersen rather than our sideways short passing movement when it's a RCB and LCB trying to attract defending players inside. It could result in a good opposition to recognize patterns to find high pressure triggers in our build-up, something as simple as the ball being on Andersen's back foot from a Diop pass.
Base position: 3-4-2-1
(https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/9355/d7dnSI.png)
Attacking shape: 2-3-4-1
(https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/408/HjhbZw.png)
Defensive shape: 4-4-2
(https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/2211/wKIGOv.png)
The big omissions are Iwobi, Traore and Bassey though, and why I went back and forth. They could easily be inserted to shift the personnel, but going off of recent form, I just don't trust Bassey for the two goals he's responsible for in the 1v1 situations (Wood and Munoz) from Forest and Palace matches. Of course he scored shortly after in the Forest match. Traore is a force, and he had a brilliant assist with his left the last couple of matches, but his decision making is questionable at times. Iwobi is a tough one because he's been solid this season and I liked him in that attacking midfield role in the Wolves match, so it could be a natural adjustment. I just think Pereira's range of passing abilities follow the theme of creativity that the 3-4-2-1 sets up.
With just a couple personnel changes, the theme can change as well - which is why it's such a versatile formation. I'd love to implement it for my U12 and U11 teams I coach, but being in the US, these kids just need to play more first.
Very creative and bold solution to the question of how to incorporate both Robinson and Sess. I'd definitely start Iwobi though, be it ahead of ESR or Pereira.
It would be harsh to drop Traore who has been pretty good in my opinion since Wilson got injured.
At this stage of the season, Sessegnon's form is a boost. Means we can manage Robinson's minutes more than we gave done in the past. I'd rather that than trying to shoehorn the pair into the same XI.
Nicely taken goal, but I've seen nothing to suggest Sess should be playing further forward. The sort of devilment that Adama, Willian, Wilson can create, it's just not his game.
In assessing his defensive capabilities, surely we see so little, the club see so much, that we have to trust them. Certainly we have to forget his defensive naivety in his first spell. He was seventeen for goodness sake. Of course he got mugged off by wily campaigners from time to time.
My head tells me that if he played for Conte, and Conte liked him, he can defend. Conte's entire team knew only two things: getting the ball to Harry and defending.
We might need to get our head around the natural consequence of Sess's excellence will be Robinson's departure in the summer. We've been fine without Mitro and Palhinha, so that shouldn't be too scary a thought. After all the replacement, he's one of our own.
Quote from: Matt10 on February 26, 2025, 04:42:53 PMQuote from: Bassey the warrior on February 26, 2025, 02:25:53 PMQuote from: Matt10 on February 26, 2025, 02:00:39 PMQuote from: Bassey the warrior on February 26, 2025, 07:17:15 AMQuote from: Matt10 on February 26, 2025, 06:00:11 AMI know Silva said that because we were short on wingers we had to use the 3/5 back formation, but I pray we never stray from it. The options we have are so immediate, not only in a route one, but in terms of team identity. One moment we can combine multiple passes in any direction and switch it, and in the next moment we can send a hopeful ball over the top to chase down and have enough support to find triggers to pressure on the opponents first touch. That type of attacking prowess paired up with 3 big center backs in front of Leno are such a strong vote of confidence to dig in deep like we do.
I would love for Silva to find a way that Sess and Robinson can be on the field at the same time. Sess on the ball is what we've always known, and his crossing is the best in the entire team - something we just have not tapped into as much. Take into the fact that he's a goal-scorer now - something Robinson, Tete or Castagne do not have tied to their name at the moment.
Buzzing after the match, and am too excited for the FA Cup v United - and I think it's more so to see if Marco stays with this 3/5 - but regardless...in Marco We Trust.
Would you leave out ESR to accommodate the extra defender?
I think it'd just be a battle between ESR and Pereira. Personally I think them both on the pitch would be a masterclass in creativity and goal scoring chances. They haven't had much chance to do that lately either since now they're both competing for the 10 spot. It would interesting to see them in those two attacking midfield positions. However, I think with Lukic out, Pereira may be in the double pivot with Berge soon.
The 3-4-2-1 is such a good formation for us because it presents our strengths in how we attack anyways. We attract defending players wide so we can play back inside, while we get our wingbacks quite advanced to put the decisions on our attacking midfielders/10s. Look at the Sessegnon goal, the closest Fulham player to the ball hitting the back of the net is Castagne. The great thing is the role can change by personnel, such as Traore, who is usually an inverted winger, was moved to the left side because he couldn't beat Toti on the right, so Marco moves him to the right and now he's got free reign to do as he pleases because he no longer has to face up against Toti or defend the likes of Aït-Nouri. Played a brilliant ball to Muniz of course as well.
Assuming everyone was fit, what would your preferred starting line up be?
It's tough because we are a bit spoiled for choice!
It will never happen, but since we are used to defending in a 4 back anyways, I'd go with the 3-4-2-1, but put Sess as the LW, so we're defending in a 4-4-2 shape. I just think his on the ball play is so good and something we are missing badly on the left hand side. Sess can put in a cross with pace, can score goals, and can defend decently to boot. Jedi can play more tucked in, but can also be out wide to defend and support attacks when needed. On the right hand side, you have another distributor of the ball with Pereira who can send in a cross with pace and break the lines.
The main negative in build-up is that Andersen is on the left side and Diop on the right. So it means a lot more early diagonal switches of play from Andersen rather than our sideways short passing movement when it's a RCB and LCB trying to attract defending players inside. It could result in a good opposition to recognize patterns to find high pressure triggers in our build-up, something as simple as the ball being on Andersen's back foot from a Diop pass.
Base position: 3-4-2-1
(https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/9355/d7dnSI.png)
Attacking shape: 2-3-4-1
(https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/408/HjhbZw.png)
Defensive shape: 4-4-2
(https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/2211/wKIGOv.png)
The big omissions are Iwobi, Traore and Bassey though, and why I went back and forth. They could easily be inserted to shift the personnel, but going off of recent form, I just don't trust Bassey for the two goals he's responsible for in the 1v1 situations (Wood and Munoz) from Forest and Palace matches. Of course he scored shortly after in the Forest match. Traore is a force, and he had a brilliant assist with his left the last couple of matches, but his decision making is questionable at times. Iwobi is a tough one because he's been solid this season and I liked him in that attacking midfield role in the Wolves match, so it could be a natural adjustment. I just think Pereira's range of passing abilities follow the theme of creativity that the 3-4-2-1 sets up.
With just a couple personnel changes, the theme can change as well - which is why it's such a versatile formation. I'd love to implement it for my U12 and U11 teams I coach, but being in the US, these kids just need to play more first.
No Tete? Or did I miss something?
Quote from: Twig on February 27, 2025, 10:27:18 AMNo Tete? Or did I miss something?
Ha - see I forgot. It's been a long season :)
Quote from: Bassey the warrior on February 26, 2025, 05:19:18 PMQuote from: Matt10 on February 26, 2025, 04:42:53 PMQuote from: Bassey the warrior on February 26, 2025, 02:25:53 PMAssuming everyone was fit, what would your preferred starting line up be?
It's tough because we are a bit spoiled for choice!
It will never happen, but since we are used to defending in a 4 back anyways, I'd go with the 3-4-2-1, but put Sess as the LW, so we're defending in a 4-4-2 shape. I just think his on the ball play is so good and something we are missing badly on the left hand side. Sess can put in a cross with pace, can score goals, and can defend decently to boot. Jedi can play more tucked in, but can also be out wide to defend and support attacks when needed. On the right hand side, you have another distributor of the ball with Pereira who can send in a cross with pace and break the lines.
The main negative in build-up is that Andersen is on the left side and Diop on the right. So it means a lot more early diagonal switches of play from Andersen rather than our sideways short passing movement when it's a RCB and LCB trying to attract defending players inside. It could result in a good opposition to recognize patterns to find high pressure triggers in our build-up, something as simple as the ball being on Andersen's back foot from a Diop pass.
Base position: 3-4-2-1
(https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/9355/d7dnSI.png)
Attacking shape: 2-3-4-1
(https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/408/HjhbZw.png)
Defensive shape: 4-4-2
(https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/2211/wKIGOv.png)
The big omissions are Iwobi, Traore and Bassey though, and why I went back and forth. They could easily be inserted to shift the personnel, but going off of recent form, I just don't trust Bassey for the two goals he's responsible for in the 1v1 situations (Wood and Munoz) from Forest and Palace matches. Of course he scored shortly after in the Forest match. Traore is a force, and he had a brilliant assist with his left the last couple of matches, but his decision making is questionable at times. Iwobi is a tough one because he's been solid this season and I liked him in that attacking midfield role in the Wolves match, so it could be a natural adjustment. I just think Pereira's range of passing abilities follow the theme of creativity that the 3-4-2-1 sets up.
With just a couple personnel changes, the theme can change as well - which is why it's such a versatile formation. I'd love to implement it for my U12 and U11 teams I coach, but being in the US, these kids just need to play more first.
Very creative and bold solution to the question of how to incorporate both Robinson and Sess. I'd definitely start Iwobi though, be it ahead of ESR or Pereira.
It would be harsh to drop Traore who has been pretty good in my opinion since Wilson got injured.
Yeah, I agree, ESR and Iwobi are even better on the field together, with more sample size, compared to ESR and Pereira. I just can't shake the way we were splitting through teams with them at the two 8's early in the season. I also love the idea of Pereira's crosses on the right, and Sess' crosses from the left. I think our strikers, like Muniz, would love it.
Quote from: Matt10 on February 26, 2025, 04:42:53 PMQuote from: Bassey the warrior on February 26, 2025, 02:25:53 PMQuote from: Matt10 on February 26, 2025, 02:00:39 PMQuote from: Bassey the warrior on February 26, 2025, 07:17:15 AMQuote from: Matt10 on February 26, 2025, 06:00:11 AMI know Silva said that because we were short on wingers we had to use the 3/5 back formation, but I pray we never stray from it. The options we have are so immediate, not only in a route one, but in terms of team identity. One moment we can combine multiple passes in any direction and switch it, and in the next moment we can send a hopeful ball over the top to chase down and have enough support to find triggers to pressure on the opponents first touch. That type of attacking prowess paired up with 3 big center backs in front of Leno are such a strong vote of confidence to dig in deep like we do.
I would love for Silva to find a way that Sess and Robinson can be on the field at the same time. Sess on the ball is what we've always known, and his crossing is the best in the entire team - something we just have not tapped into as much. Take into the fact that he's a goal-scorer now - something Robinson, Tete or Castagne do not have tied to their name at the moment.
Buzzing after the match, and am too excited for the FA Cup v United - and I think it's more so to see if Marco stays with this 3/5 - but regardless...in Marco We Trust.
Would you leave out ESR to accommodate the extra defender?
I think it'd just be a battle between ESR and Pereira. Personally I think them both on the pitch would be a masterclass in creativity and goal scoring chances. They haven't had much chance to do that lately either since now they're both competing for the 10 spot. It would interesting to see them in those two attacking midfield positions. However, I think with Lukic out, Pereira may be in the double pivot with Berge soon.
The 3-4-2-1 is such a good formation for us because it presents our strengths in how we attack anyways. We attract defending players wide so we can play back inside, while we get our wingbacks quite advanced to put the decisions on our attacking midfielders/10s. Look at the Sessegnon goal, the closest Fulham player to the ball hitting the back of the net is Castagne. The great thing is the role can change by personnel, such as Traore, who is usually an inverted winger, was moved to the left side because he couldn't beat Toti on the right, so Marco moves him to the right and now he's got free reign to do as he pleases because he no longer has to face up against Toti or defend the likes of Aït-Nouri. Played a brilliant ball to Muniz of course as well.
Assuming everyone was fit, what would your preferred starting line up be?
It's tough because we are a bit spoiled for choice!
It will never happen, but since we are used to defending in a 4 back anyways, I'd go with the 3-4-2-1, but put Sess as the LW, so we're defending in a 4-4-2 shape. I just think his on the ball play is so good and something we are missing badly on the left hand side. Sess can put in a cross with pace, can score goals, and can defend decently to boot. Jedi can play more tucked in, but can also be out wide to defend and support attacks when needed. On the right hand side, you have another distributor of the ball with Pereira who can send in a cross with pace and break the lines.
The main negative in build-up is that Andersen is on the left side and Diop on the right. So it means a lot more early diagonal switches of play from Andersen rather than our sideways short passing movement when it's a RCB and LCB trying to attract defending players inside. It could result in a good opposition to recognize patterns to find high pressure triggers in our build-up, something as simple as the ball being on Andersen's back foot from a Diop pass.
Base position: 3-4-2-1
(https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/9355/d7dnSI.png)
Attacking shape: 2-3-4-1
(https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/408/HjhbZw.png)
Defensive shape: 4-4-2
(https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/2211/wKIGOv.png)
The big omissions are Iwobi, Traore and Bassey though, and why I went back and forth. They could easily be inserted to shift the personnel, but going off of recent form, I just don't trust Bassey for the two goals he's responsible for in the 1v1 situations (Wood and Munoz) from Forest and Palace matches. Of course he scored shortly after in the Forest match. Traore is a force, and he had a brilliant assist with his left the last couple of matches, but his decision making is questionable at times. Iwobi is a tough one because he's been solid this season and I liked him in that attacking midfield role in the Wolves match, so it could be a natural adjustment. I just think Pereira's range of passing abilities follow the theme of creativity that the 3-4-2-1 sets up.
With just a couple personnel changes, the theme can change as well - which is why it's such a versatile formation. I'd love to implement it for my U12 and U11 teams I coach, but being in the US, these kids just need to play more first.
No Iwobi !!
To be honest, I didn't think FFC played all that well v Wolves. And after the Palace debacle at home, I think we need to sharpen the game if we want to move up the table.
Felt we were rather poor v Wolves, and I know MS introduced substantial changes to the lineup, and yes, I know any time you can garner 3 points on the road that is a great result, this is a tough league, but I still felt we were on the back foot for many stretches in this game, mostly making a defensive stand v a poor/weak opponent. I don't want to sound overly harsh here, there were a few good moments, a couple terrific assists and finishes for the goals scored. But I just think we have to be better, and surely do have the potential to move up the table, but some more positive consistency is what I'm still looking for.
Quote from: WindyCity on February 28, 2025, 04:27:13 PMTo be honest, I didn't think FFC played all that well v Wolves. And after the Palace debacle at home, I think we need to sharpen the game if we want to move up the table.
Felt we were rather poor v Wolves, and I know MS introduced substantial changes to the lineup, and yes, I know any time you can garner 3 points on the road that is a great result, this is a tough league, but I still felt we were on the back foot for many stretches in this game, mostly making a defensive stand v a poor/weak opponent. I don't want to sound overly harsh here, there were a few good moments, a couple terrific assists and finishes for the goals scored. But I just think we have to be better, and surely do have the potential to move up the table, but some more positive consistency is what I'm still looking for.
Everyone sees games differently, of course, but I think you have to ask yourself how threatened was the Fulham goal once we took the lead at the start of the second half? And the truth is, as Marco said, we restricted to Wolves to about zero decent chances for the 50 minutes - I'd say that was a pretty solid performance
Quote from: WindyCity on February 28, 2025, 04:27:13 PMTo be honest, I didn't think FFC played all that well v Wolves. And after the Palace debacle at home, I think we need to sharpen the game if we want to move up the table.
Felt we were rather poor v Wolves, and I know MS introduced substantial changes to the lineup, and yes, I know any time you can garner 3 points on the road that is a great result, this is a tough league, but I still felt we were on the back foot for many stretches in this game, mostly making a defensive stand v a poor/weak opponent. I don't want to sound overly harsh here, there were a few good moments, a couple terrific assists and finishes for the goals scored. But I just think we have to be better, and surely do have the potential to move up the table, but some more positive consistency is what I'm still looking for.
I take your point and understand where you are coming from.
However from a managers point of view after a performance and defeat of that nature v Palace.
He has to ensure Fulham bounce back like a wounded Lion.
Because losing and bad habits can become a regular habit.
He knows there is more than one way to win a football match.
First you make yourself hard to score against, second you make yourself hard to beat, and third if you have to win ugly then so be it, this was not the game to look pretty although at times we still outplayed them and still out passed them and still outfought them, and of course due to all those ingredients we out scored them.
Believe me people will only remember the result.
How many of us would have honestly forecast that scoreline.
Think of how the players felt afterwards, like a dog with two winkles.
Then the first training back with moral and confidence restored.
That is all that matters when your neck is on the block.
Especially with a place in the quarter finals is the prize on Sunday.
I do not care how we win, it is as long as we win.
Man for man and it is the some of the parts, and we are better than them.
Every player has to win his own battle, no place for milky
players only
winners and foot soldiers and warriors.
Therefore the win against Wolves no matter how you look at it was a massive boost of adrenaline and confidence.
Quote from: WindyCity on February 28, 2025, 04:27:13 PMTo be honest, I didn't think FFC played all that well v Wolves. And after the Palace debacle at home, I think we need to sharpen the game if we want to move up the table.
Felt we were rather poor v Wolves, and I know MS introduced substantial changes to the lineup, and yes, I know any time you can garner 3 points on the road that is a great result, this is a tough league, but I still felt we were on the back foot for many stretches in this game, mostly making a defensive stand v a poor/weak opponent. I don't want to sound overly harsh here, there were a few good moments, a couple terrific assists and finishes for the goals scored. But I just think we have to be better, and surely do have the potential to move up the table, but some more positive consistency is what I'm still looking for.
I also had this view watching the match but afterwards I've come to realise that this was intentional judging by the formation and change of personnel. The point was to restrict them to poor chances and then maybe snatch a goal or two on the counter. We've basically done what Forest do on a (near) weekly basis this season.
Quote from: Bobsffc on February 28, 2025, 06:17:04 PMQuote from: WindyCity on February 28, 2025, 04:27:13 PMTo be honest, I didn't think FFC played all that well v Wolves. And after the Palace debacle at home, I think we need to sharpen the game if we want to move up the table.
Felt we were rather poor v Wolves, and I know MS introduced substantial changes to the lineup, and yes, I know any time you can garner 3 points on the road that is a great result, this is a tough league, but I still felt we were on the back foot for many stretches in this game, mostly making a defensive stand v a poor/weak opponent. I don't want to sound overly harsh here, there were a few good moments, a couple terrific assists and finishes for the goals scored. But I just think we have to be better, and surely do have the potential to move up the table, but some more positive consistency is what I'm still looking for.
Everyone sees games differently, of course, but I think you have to ask yourself how threatened was the Fulham goal once we took the lead at the start of the second half? And the truth is, as Marco said, we restricted to Wolves to about zero decent chances for the 50 minutes - I'd say that was a pretty solid performance
Thanks for your response. I do think we're on the same page, as my original commentary declared a "defensive stand" v a rather weak opponent. And yes, FFC did well defensively in the second half, limiting Wolves to chances. That said, how comfortable are you, or many fans here, with these one goal leads? And sitting on those one goal leads? I think we are all aware how dangerous they are, and how they can turn into draws or even losses, and we've had a boatload of one goal games this season. Nice defensive performance, but I should think we can do better turning these games into comfortable wins, and not letting a fluke or slip up or poor play turn these matters into draws. Need more consistency from FFC, on the front foot, the positive side, than what we saw v Palace and Wolves.
Blimey, poor Marco.
He's accused by some on here (not necessarily those posting in this thread) of not having a plan B when things don't go to plan.
We play crap at home vs Palace so he makes a bold team selection and changes our style and formation, gets the win against a team desperately fighting for survival, we defend stoically to totally nullify the opposition in the second half and yet the team is criticised for a poor performance.
We can't always win playing Champagne football.
Even title winners are commended for winning ugly when they don't perform well. It shows character to win away from home without being the dominant force. Maybe try to accentuate the positives from time to time.
Quote from: Hatch007 on March 01, 2025, 09:33:28 PMBlimey, poor Marco.
He's accused by some on here (not necessarily those posting in this thread) of not having a plan B when things don't go to plan.
We play crap at home vs Palace so he makes a bold team selection and changes our style and formation, gets the win against a team desperately fighting for survival, we defend stoically to totally nullify the opposition in the second half and yet the team is criticised for a poor performance.
We can't always win playing Champagne football.
Even title winners are commended for winning ugly when they don't perform well. It shows character to win away from home without being the dominant force. Maybe try to accentuate the positives from time to time.
Well said. A good, professional display with several first team players either on the bench or injured