Ok boys
Lets start with a few things
It is not "discussed" by men for various reasons, we need to look at it
I have been diagnosed with it but luckily enough it is only about 6 months old and I have had fantastic care from the NHS and an amazing surgeon who has explained everything so well so I will survive
Often there are no outward signs so when you find out it can be too late
Given that
1. It is a taboo subject - all of you get tested please. Its only a blood test, you dont get a finger up your ar5e. Its now 50+ years old people who are getting it
2. I am lucky that it has been caught early and will probably die from other thing than the cancer so again get tested so you can catch it early
3. 1 in 8 men get it and if caught early enough they all live long lives 10 years plus
An important post Sunbury, and thank you for making it. Wishing you all the best for your recovery
Had a scare myself earlier in the year, its not a nice thing to go through.
Wishing you all the best in your recovery, Sunbury
Quote from: sunburywhite on June 03, 2025, 08:07:26 PMOk boys
Lets start with a few things
It is not "discussed" by men for various reasons, we need to look at it
I have been diagnosed with it but luckily enough it is only about 6 months old and I have had fantastic care from the NHS and an amazing surgeon who has explained everything so well so I will survive
Often there are no outward signs so when you find out it can be too late
Given that
1. It is a taboo subject - all of you get tested please. Its only a blood test, you dont get a finger up your ar5e. Its now 50+ years old people who are getting it
2. I am lucky that it has been caught early and will probably die from other thing than the cancer so again get tested so you can catch it early
3. 1 in 8 men get it and if caught early enough they all live long lives 10 years plus
Sadly you lost me at "you don't get a finger up your @rse" ...what fun is a blood test :slap:
In all seriousness though glad to hear you are doing ok and for sure will get a general health look over soon as a result of this message, as I've been putting it off
I am fine thanks boys and will come out of it al Ok but the point I am trying to make is for all of you to get tested
If I can save one life I have done well
Bloke across the road from me has been diagnosed with agressive cancer and may have 6 months at best
Trouble is there are no obvious signs except testing and the only cost to that is your life
1 in 8 of us on this page are likely to be having it, either now or in the future
Dont give death a chance
Quote from: sunburywhite on June 03, 2025, 08:39:08 PM1 in 8 of us on this page are likely to be having it, either now or in the future
Dont give death a chance
Good man for raising this.
We as a forum, should be doing more of this about a multitude of things really.
If you don't mind me asking sunburywhite, what prompted you to get the blood test?
Good luck SunburyWhite.
I was diagnosed with pc in April 2015, had the prostate removed and, fortunately, on checking it in the lab the cancer had not yet reached the edge, after which it can move into other parts of the body with dire consequences.
I've had my psa taken every few months ever since and it is negligible. My consultant oncologist told me in January that I had close to zero chance of it returning - it would be a Lancet article if it did, given the initial finding and the last ten years of entirely satisfactory psa tests. She advised me to have a psa test every six months, but only to see her again if, wholly unexpectedly, it suddenly rose substantially.
My son's neighbour's father was diagnosed at much the same time. Unfortunately his had gone through the prostate gland wall into other parts of the body, when the prognosis is five years if one is lucky (or was ten years ago; there have been improvements in treatment since). He didn't make a year.
I assumed that I was having a psa every year as part of the blood tests my GP took every year, but found that was not the case - too many false positives to make it cost-effective! My first consultant said that is rubbish. Yes, there are false positives, and indeed false negatives, but enough cases serious enough to need surgery or radiotherapy are found, and if found early can be effectively treated. In his view every man should have an annual psa test every year from age 50 and if, like my sons, your father or other close blood relative has had it, start at age 40.
Like so many, I had zero symptoms and only asked my GP for my first psa test - insisted, actually - when by chance I met a friend in the local Sainsbury car park and he had that morning been diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer.
Apparently almost every man aged 70 or older will have some cancer in the prostate, but for the large majority they will die with it, not because of it because it is essentially benign. But for those like me whose cancer was potentially of a more aggressive type, early identification is, quite literally, a life-saver.
Quite incredible that in this day and age Joe Biden doesn't seem to have had a psa test since 2014. It will likely cut his life short by several years, for want of tests that, if done privately in the UK cost less than £200.
I recently got called in for an NHS health check, while I was there I mentioned that my late Dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer and was wondering if this qualifies me for testing. The nurse said yes and immediately put me through for a blood test. I am 48 so I don't believe this is limited to 50+ so please still query with your GP if it something that concerns you like it did me, they may put you in for the test earlier. As mentioned, the earlier it is caught the better. Fortunately my test came back clear but I will certainly be asking for regular testing going forward if I get the opportunity.
All the best with your treatment/recovery sunburywhite.
My respect for this forum is going through the roof right now. The absolute bravery and honesty is , quite frankly, amazing.Sunbury White you honestly deserve a medal for fronting up on this subject. To you and Somerset I Take my hat off . Your posts can only do good.
My best wishes to you and a huge "thank you"
Thanks for posting this SW. There is a massive reluctance among men to discuss prostate cancer in particular and urology issues in general. If your post encourages just one person to go to his GP, then your post has been a success. Delighted for you that you've had very decent care. It's what we should all get for all problems.
There is also a widespread embarrassment and deep-rooted reluctance among men of a certain age about going to a doctor to discuss bladder or prostate or general urological problems. If you have a problem or have noticed a change in your bladder habits, go and get checked out.
Best wishes to you Sunbury. Finally visited the docs recently too about some personal health concerns but should have really gone and got the ball rolling far earlier.
Prostate cancer touched my life through my father who unfortunately did not get this advice early enough. It's great advice and I thank you for sharing it sunbury.
Great post Sunbury. I've just had a bladder cancer scare. Just a little blood in my urine that lasted no more than 24 hours and wasn't that notable. Luckily after a biopsy and a stent between my bladder and kidney, I've had the all clear, and my prostrate is a normal size for a 68 year old man.
As you say,if this all saves just one person, it's been worth posting
Stay safe all. ::thumb::
Wish you well sunburu. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer 3 years ago and had a series of radio therapy treatments, fortunately when I had my first sign I went to the doctor next day, scared.
I couldn't have chemotherapy because of a heart condition. Fortunately after my treatment which I found very tiring my PSA fell from 8 to undetectable.
My first sign was blood in my urine.
Best wishes on a full recovery.
Quote from: Surlyc on June 03, 2025, 09:06:20 PMIf you don't mind me asking sunburywhite, what prompted you to get the blood test?
I don't know about Sunbury but blood in my urine was my first sign.
Couple of funny (i think so) stories about my little episode in a Thai Hospital.
My Doctor advised me to have the camera down the throat and up the rectum so, off i go to Samrong Hospital. There is this lovely, very large, nurse who i'd joked with before so i said can i have the camera down the throat first, in all seriousness she said it's ok we use two cameras.
Later in the week i go for the procedure and i'm lying on the trolley and this rather stern-faced nurse turns up and indicates i should open mouth, which i did. She then produces a spray bottle like an old-time gunslinger and sprayed this stuff down my throat, not being ready for it, it came straight back up covering lady po-face. One very unhappy nurse. Luckily everything was ok.
Wishing you a speedy recovery Sunbury White and well done for highlighting this topic. I'm 62 and went for a health check a couple of months ago and because of my age this was one of the things they checked and fortunately everything was clear. As everyone has said if you notice even the smallest change in something get it checked out.
Quote from: sunburywhite on June 03, 2025, 08:07:26 PMOk boys
Lets start with a few things
It is not "discussed" by men for various reasons, we need to look at it
I have been diagnosed with it but luckily enough it is only about 6 months old and I have had fantastic care from the NHS and an amazing surgeon who has explained everything so well so I will survive
Often there are no outward signs so when you find out it can be too late
Given that
1. It is a taboo subject - all of you get tested please. Its only a blood test, you dont get a finger up your ar5e. Its now 50+ years old people who are getting it
2. I am lucky that it has been caught early and will probably die from other thing than the cancer so again get tested so you can catch it early
3. 1 in 8 men get it and if caught early enough they all live long lives 10 years plus
I have raised money for prostate cancer for 20 years and in the last 12 months there has been a break through AI on the blood tests ,there is no screening programme like with breast cancer as it's still 12 months at least away.all of us over 50 should get a blood test at your doctor's as they check your cholesterol and other blood testing ailments.
I wish you well sir.
The NHS has its many faults but before Christmas I was off my food and feeling fairly crap for a couple of months and so went to the doctors. Everything seemed to go into overdrive and I had checks for bowel cancer, psa bloods and finger, camera down the throat as I get really bad acid, urine flow and various other tests. Absolutely first class service.
I saw my doctor several times over a couple of months but at the end of it everything was good apart from the acid which I take tablets for. It does seem a bit extreme the tests I had but in an ideal world this is how everyone should be examined/treated when they are concerned about cancer. With the number of people getting cancer increasing getting early diagnosis/treatment is vital.
We (men) are terrible about seeing our doctors and talking about this things and the thought of having a finger up your bum can be considered embarrassing. How effective this test is one thing my doctor said he could feel a nodule so arranged for further tests.
But as Beatty used to say "It's good to talk" and we need to do more of it more often.
Excellent post and just shows how many of us are impacted by this.
I had the ol checkup when I was 36 due to luckily, some overweight issues causing me harm but so happy I got checked up. It's really not something to be afraid of or apply stigma to anymore. No matter which way you get checked either.
Bottom line, get checked and ask to be checked. It's not worth it just to save face socially.
Was diagnosed with prostate cancer a couple of years back after various procedures biopsy cameras in various parts of anatomy was operated on with removal of prostate at Royal Marsden (Fulham/Chelsea) I prefer to say Fulham because operation was total success and have recently been told they don't need to see me for a year.Yes thanks for posting and remain very impressed with the treatment available,I will say I thought Urology was a minor non important department when I enquired about getting up in the night to relieve bladder and then was advised of prostate problems just in time Thanks for posting feeling pleased and happy COYW !
Quote from: sunburywhite on June 03, 2025, 08:20:34 PMI am fine thanks boys and will come out of it al Ok but the point I am trying to make is for all of you to get tested
Thanks for this reminder Sunbury.
Question is, how do you get your doctor to organise a test when you can't get to see him in the first place? Well it's like that for me unfortunately!
I ended up having to pay for a private consultation recently, as my surgery did nothing much to help. Not their fault, as far too many people in a small community surgery.
Anyway, are there any other ways to organise a test?
My thoughts are with you Sunbury...
I had quite a big cancer operation in February 2024....the specialist's said my recovery would take around a year.. I have a scan & blood tests every 6 months.
I'm now working as a Hackney cab driver again here in Eastbourne....
I started work on Monday 02nd June 2025 two days ago... I'm only working part time, but so far really enjoying it (not working today)
If you can, try not to rush your recovery...I started my recovery by walking next door, then the following day walking to the next door after that & so on...it was a very slow process.... I also used to walk up & down on one step.... I wasn't allowed to carry anything for about 6 months, then slowly started by building up...
Well done you for posting on here - it took courage.
Keep well all - onwards and upwards
I've just had a visit last weekend from a long time mate who was too slow in getting anything checked, despite telltale signs. He's now in a pretty bad way with cancer spread.
His parting comment to me was "promise me you'll get checked every year". So i have ordered a PSA test already. You can get them online (for anyone struggling to see a GP), they don't cost a lot and they'll throw up any abnormalities.
Hope all is well Sunbury and well done for highlighting.
Great post Sunbury.
Can I add a similar caution regards skin cancer? I have had to have quite extensive surgery on my forehead to remove a squamous cell carcinoma and have had to use chemo creams to deal with other areas of my face. I lived in the Middle East for several years so was particularly exposed to strong sunlight but everyone is at risk. Thing is I only slapped on sunscreen if I was out for a round og golf or whatever. Our skin is constantly exposed to UV and we would all do well to apply a protective sunscreen every day.
Quote from: sunburywhite on June 03, 2025, 08:20:34 PMI am fine thanks boys and will come out of it al Ok but the point I am trying to make is for all of you to get tested
Very pleased to hear youre going to come though it mate . i had a couple of irregular feelings and happenings in the last 6 months . done like you had the blood test and all ok . gook luck with any treatment you gonna have .
Quote from: Surlyc on June 03, 2025, 09:06:20 PMIf you don't mind me asking sunburywhite, what prompted you to get the blood test?
It was only luck that they did it.I didnt have any signs at all, no blood in my pee only thing I had was a UTI that didnt go away. Doctor then gave me the finger, said the prostate was enlarged and did the blood test
Best wishes Sunbury.I had a scare regarding Prostate had a scan and biopsy which fortunately came back negative. My mate also a Fulham fan was going through coincidentally the same thing at the same time.His came back positive and was advised to have it removed.This he agreed to and can happily report that he is cancer free and everything seems to be in working order now although it took some time.Another Fulham mate has just been diagnosed with PC and is awaiting to see what treatment he going to get.We are all pretty OK with talking about it between ourselves and others willing to listen. Don't think it is quite the taboo subject as it was to say my father's era.Talking about things like this can only benefit us.Thanks Sunbury for sharing.
Glad to see this topic being discussed. This is a very treatable disease, especially if caught early.
The OP did get one thing WRONG though! Yes, every year get the bloodwork PSA. But, along with that, you should always get the rectal exam. (Yeah, the finger up the arse.) Very important!
Sometimes PSA numbers don't or can't give all the information. The rectal exam exams the gland itself, and can detect abnormalities that bloodwork won't identify. If your regular doc and/or urologist isn't giving you the rectal exam, then you must ask them to do so. Be your own advocate and get both bloodwork and the finger job. I know it's very uncomfortable, but it is essential for proper male prostate health.
PSA and finger start at age 50
If family history, start at age 40
When you start getting PSA tests, always record for yourself your numbers, every year. You should know what your numbers are anyway. Keep in mind that even if your numbers are low, a jump higher at some point, even though it may still be in the low/safe range, can be an indication of trouble.
Nice to have these discussions, I'm big advocate of taking these precautions for prevention. Keep records, sometimes doc offices aren't keen on keeping history and casually sluff off your results as long as your numbers fall in so-called safe range. Sometimes safe range numbers can be misleading. Urologists are a bit more keen on prostate health than general docs. Be your own advocate!!
An ultrasound will also show it Mr Windy
I've just had my first PSA test, and its 6.43, so Ive got to go in tomorrow, is that high?
Quote from: Seano on June 04, 2025, 10:06:23 PMI've just had my first PSA test, and its 6.43, so Ive got to go in tomorrow, is that high?
Its above where it should be, but not a bad reading but definately needs checking out
Well said Sunbury, I have a few conditions and plenty of blood tests over the years but GP never added prostate check to any of them. In 2018 a locum doctor sent me for a blood test over a smaller matter but added prostate to it. The results had my GP sending me up to Guy's Hospital for tests. The day after my 80th birthday (My wife had arranged a surprise party in the local hall on the day} I had a appointment to see the cancer nurse at Guy's. I never saw the nurse but the consultant who told me the MRI scan showed slightly enlarged prostate but no sign of cancer and discharged me. If you get up a few times in the night or pee a bit slow best to get a check on it.
Great to raise this often taboo subject, Sunbury. As others have pointed out, it's important to have annual p.s.a. checks, together with what is politely called a rectal digital examination (a.k.a finger up the bum).
I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2003. It was caught early and , after having the prostate removed, here I am 23 years later still going strong. Treatments have advanced significantly over the past 20 years or so and the surgery that kept me in hospital for 3 days is now routinely done on an out-patient basis.
On your question about the 6.43,yes, it's on the high side but I suspect your doctor may want to see if and how it rises over an extended period (perhaps check it again in 6 months). Anyway, all the very best and thanks for sharing with the forum
Quote from: sunburywhite on June 04, 2025, 10:10:03 PMQuote from: Seano on June 04, 2025, 10:06:23 PMI've just had my first PSA test, and its 6.43, so Ive got to go in tomorrow, is that high?
Its above where it should be, but not a bad reading but definately needs checking out
Over 5 needs investigation.
A word about the PSA test. Avoid sex and cycling before the test (seriously). They can cause a temporary spike in the test result.
I had an enlarged prostrate and was put on Avodart years ago. (A take it for life tablet) I was also told not to ride a bike.
I asked if I could play the piano after the operation
The surgeon said I could
I said thats amazing news as I could never play it before the operation
Thanks for raising the issue Sunbury, I have booked a psa test with my surgery. The receptionist was OK but I did have to pressure her to let me have one. I'd had a test two years ago, and get the feeling they don't like giving the test out.
Quote from: SuffolkWhite on June 05, 2025, 10:23:43 AMThanks for raising the issue Sunbury, I have booked a psa test with my surgery. The receptionist was OK but I did have to pressure her to let me have one. I'd had a test two years ago, and get the feeling they don't like giving the test out.
Receptionist seem to think their job is to prevent the patient from seeing the doctor.
My wife has just reminded me that I am married to one.😱
Quote from: blingo on June 04, 2025, 11:40:17 PMI had an enlarged prostrate and was put on Avodart years ago. (A take it for life tablet) I was also told not to ride a bike.
Interesting, as a keen cyclist myself.
Champion track cyclist, Chris Hoy, who must be a very fit, still young, bloke, was recently diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer, and I wondered if cycling had anything to do with it.
Cycling certainly can affect the old downstairs department,'numb nuts syndrome,' but there are the essential mental health benefits of exercise for me,, plus the overall health benefits.
And now running is becoming harder with my aging legs and knees, though there's always swimming!
My dad died of prostate cancer, and his main symptom was severe lower back pain, but when he eventually went to the hospital it was too late. I feel bad that no one encouraged him to get it checked out earlier, but I was in Scotland, and my mum was dead, though my adopted brother was around. He was my adoptive dad, so I'm not particularly at risk of getting it, as far as I'm aware.
Quote from: sunburywhite on June 04, 2025, 10:10:03 PMQuote from: Seano on June 04, 2025, 10:06:23 PMI've just had my first PSA test, and its 6.43, so Ive got to go in tomorrow, is that high?
Its above where it should be, but not a bad reading but definately needs checking out
A little learning is a dangerous thing. My latest reading, which was the same as 3 months earlier, was 11. Consultant urologist: "that's OK, it's consistent with the size of your prostate" I've had no problems or symptoms beyond earache from my wife saying every man over a certain age should be checked and yes my PSA levels are relatively high, but after thorough procedural checks, no fault found, just monitor 6 monthly.
Finger up your ar5e funnily called a digital examination and even a biopsy which is, I think, the nearest a bloke gets to giving birth is still better than dead, you'd miss us winning the prem next year ::scarf::
If you're 50 get a PSA. I had my prostate removed 3 years ago due to cancer at then age 63. My twin brother had radiotherapy in the form of implanting radioactive seeds in the prostate instead. Both of us are now cancer free. However, in the embarrassing need to make full and frank disclosure to help anyone else afflicted, I was left urinary incontinent. Luckily, further surgery sorted that out by the fitting of an artificial urinary device (AUS). It's invisible, but incredibly they put a button in your scrotum under the skin which you press when needing to go. Very effective. I jokingly offer my chums the option of either holding my todger or pressing the button, but they don't seem keen on either. What I would say before opting for prostate removal is:
1. Consider all treatment options.
2. If removal isn't necessary to spare your life go for the most non-invasive option.
Wish I had the faith that you guys have for our health service. I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer about 8 years ago. I had 4 bouts of pancreatitis involving around 4 weeks in hospital on a drip each time, and was under the John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford. Then they stuck a camera down me to examine my pancreas - they put you under to do that. Just as I was coming round from the anesthetic the doctor told me she had found a tumour and they would be in touch. She then disappeared, leaving me barely conscious and shocked.
I was then transferred to the Churchill hospital (the cancer hospital in the John Radcliffe group) where the consultant wanted to remove most of my insides during an 11 hour operation. Later, they decided I wouldn't survive the operation and basically sent in home to die.
I did some research online and found a doctor in the USA who had success curing pancreatic cancer just by giving the patient large doses of iodine. It worked, the iodine burnt away the tumour. It's not possible to overdose, it just turns your pee a spectaclur shade of orange! The survival rate for patients having the usual pancreas operation is 12% after 5 years. 8 years and counting, so far I am beating those odds.
Quote from: Gloucester White on June 06, 2025, 03:29:08 PMWish I had the faith that you guys have for our health service. I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer about 8 years ago. I had 4 bouts of pancreatitis involving around 4 weeks in hospital on a drip each time, and was under the John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford. Then they stuck a camera down me to examine my pancreas - they put you under to do that. Just as I was coming round from the anesthetic the doctor told me she had found a tumour and they would be in touch. She then disappeared, leaving me barely conscious and shocked.
I was then transferred to the Churchill hospital (the cancer hospital in the John Radcliffe group) where the consultant wanted to remove most of my insides during an 11 hour operation. Later, they decided I wouldn't survive the operation and basically sent in home to die.
I did some research online and found a doctor in the USA who had success curing pancreatic cancer just by giving the patient large doses of iodine. It worked, the iodine burnt away the tumour. It's not possible to overdose, it just turns your pee a spectaclur shade of orange! The survival rate for patients having the usual pancreas operation is 12% after 5 years. 8 years and counting, so far I am beating those odds.
Excellent news and congratulations- long may your health last 👍
I agree re the NHS too - it's appalling imo!
Quote from: BestOfBrede on June 06, 2025, 03:40:41 PMQuote from: Gloucester White on June 06, 2025, 03:29:08 PMWish I had the faith that you guys have for our health service. I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer about 8 years ago. I had 4 bouts of pancreatitis involving around 4 weeks in hospital on a drip each time, and was under the John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford. Then they stuck a camera down me to examine my pancreas - they put you under to do that. Just as I was coming round from the anesthetic the doctor told me she had found a tumour and they would be in touch. She then disappeared, leaving me barely conscious and shocked.
I was then transferred to the Churchill hospital (the cancer hospital in the John Radcliffe group) where the consultant wanted to remove most of my insides during an 11 hour operation. Later, they decided I wouldn't survive the operation and basically sent in home to die.
I did some research online and found a doctor in the USA who had success curing pancreatic cancer just by giving the patient large doses of iodine. It worked, the iodine burnt away the tumour. It's not possible to overdose, it just turns your pee a spectaclur shade of orange! The survival rate for patients having the usual pancreas operation is 12% after 5 years. 8 years and counting, so far I am beating those odds.
Excellent news and congratulations- long may your health last 👍
I agree re the NHS too - it's appalling imo!
Thanks. Of course iodine will never be allowed to treat cancer because it can't be patented, so 'big pharma' can't make a fortune from it!
Hope you're doing ok Sunbury this is a subject close to me and needs shouting from the highest hills and roof tops thank you for being so brave to post this
My dad was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer last year but sadly it's now too far gone for him to ever go into remission. With treatment they hope 3-5 years, and as a double whammy he was also diagnosed with skin cancer (which someone else mentioned in this thread)
I've also lost an uncle to bowel cancer and my brother to leukaemia so know the dangers of it all only too well
Get tested folks it will save your lives
Sorry to hear your news Staffs White, sorry to hear about your Dad, ask him all the questions you can think of because sadly when he is gone there won't be anyone to give the answers
My Dad died of Parkinson about 4 years ago, that is horrible watching him slide into this shell of a man. I think I would go to Switzerland if I got diagnosed but the point I am making is even now my wife and I will see something and we will say "Dad will know" but of course we can't ask him now
Quote from: sunburywhite on June 06, 2025, 05:51:02 PMSorry to hear your news Staffs White, sorry to hear about your Dad, ask him all the questions you can think of because sadly when he is gone there won't be anyone to give the answers
My Dad died of Parkinson about 4 years ago, that is horrible watching him slide into this shell of a man. I think I would go to Switzerland if I got diagnosed but the point I am making is even now my wife and I will see something and we will say "Dad will know" but of course we can't ask him now
Thanks mate and sorry to hear about your dad it's unbearable watching someone you love slip away
I need to have an open conversation my dad because we both fit the stereotype of not talking about our feelings, we just nod to each other and move on with life without acknowledging what's gone on.
Thank you again for highlighting this
It is absolutely brilliant that we are taking more interest and notice of our bodies and not leaving things to chance or waiting for somebody else to make a decision for us. I would urge a degree of caution on looking at age as a spur to checking things out. I had a small cyst on a ball that was written off as just that with the rationale that I was mid forties and testicular cancer was a younger man's "issue". Two return visits later my GP acknowledged I was "right to present again" and the week that followed was an absolute rollercoaster with surgery, prep and the start of eight weeks of chemotherapy because my scan looked like a billiard table with pockets of cancer all over the place.
Let's try and keep self awareness going and if you feel something is not right for goodness sake stay off google and try and see an expert. I really do sympathise if you have a mission getting an appointment with a GP but look out for initiatives advertised from time to time that offer free blood tests or check ups. Boots in Exeter were handing out free packs so you could send a sample of poo off to a lab for testing. Now theres a comedy sketch Morecombe and Wise could have covered!!!!
Agree with you 110% Mr Scalley. STAY OFF OF GOOGLE. If you've got a splinter in your finger, look it up on Google and you'll end up cutting your arm off at the shoulder.
Quote from: blingo on June 06, 2025, 11:23:19 PMAgree with you 110% Mr Scalley. STAY OFF OF GOOGLE. If you've got a splinter in your finger, look it up on Google and you'll end up cutting your arm off at the shoulder.
I would just add, before the topic slips away to page two, that should anybody want information on the C word or indeed if they are directly or indirectly affected by it the main charities such as MacMillan, Cancer Research Uk and if you are down these parts FORCE at the RD&E has lots of information services available.
There is a great equivalent of this thread on the Brighton and Hove Albion messageboard. It was started by a bloke in Ruislip who I've now met a couple of times for coffee.
https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/prostate-cancer.398631/
Great link Shredhead
20 years ago I was diagnosed with an enlarged prostate by a Doctor who lived in the same street as me.I was relieved when she got to examine me and not her husband who was also a GP as he had hand like a shovel.A vicar who lived in our street used to invite the neighbours round for a Sherry over the Christmas period.On one the occasions the Lady Doctor was there and the Vicar introduced us to each other.She had no idea who I was until I pulled my trousers and pants down and bent over.Anyway the last bit is a fib but the rest is true.
Thanks to your post Sunbury i've just scheduled an appointment at the Urologist. Because i'm 28 and have a very active lifestyle, I dupe myself into thinking I won't get cancer anytime soon. Given the evidence, I know it's a totally irrational belief to hold. I even have a step mum who - in her early 40s - is dying from colon cancer; it seems unlikely that she will make it through the year, so will be spending a lot more time in London to support the family, and if/when she passes (barring a miracle), I will move back to London to support my father and my siblings who are 8 and 10 years old. It's the first time we've dealt with cancer so close in the family & my heart really goes out to everyone who's fighting/fought it. Hats off to all of you.
Tangentially, i just finished a book called ''Ultra Processed People'' by Chris Van Tulleken. He also has a great 1hr documentary on BBC called 'Irresistable Food'. It's completely changed the way I look at food and what I choose to put inside my body. I mention it because there is a growing body of evidence suggesting that various ultra processed foods (which constitute something like 70pc of the average british persons diet) could lead to various cancers, neurodegenerative and psychiatric disorders.
There are a good few people on this Fulham supporters forum that have opened up about their health issues, what is special is that we are one in our support and feel we can discuss openly, I found that out with my minor kidney stone, although for me the pain was horrendous it easily rectified, not so in other cases.
For all those going through these issues i wish you all well.
Hi Southwest 6
I hope your test comes back clear
Please let us know
Quote from: Snibbo on June 04, 2025, 11:21:36 PMA word about the PSA test. Avoid sex and cycling before the test (seriously). They can cause a temporary spike in the test result.
I wanted to have sex but my wife told me to get on my bike.
Has anyone had tests in the last couple of weeks?
Quote from: Snibbo on June 04, 2025, 11:21:36 PMA word about the PSA test. Avoid sex and cycling before the test (seriously). They can cause a temporary spike in the test result.
I was told this before mine. Neither were much of a problem for me. :slap:
Aside from the above post of mine there is some really brave stuff going on here lads.
Thank you for sharing and please do let us know how you are all getting on, my PMs are always open by the way, whoever you are if you need a massive ear to shout into.
Its so good that we are finally talking about this across generations and amongst ourselves without the usual responses that we all grew up hearing.
Nice one.
Thank you so much for bringing this up, sunburywhite. A topic very close to my heart given that both my grandfathers died from prostate cancer and my dad has also been diagnosed with it.
Best of luck to you, very brave of you to raise it.
Quote from: sunburywhite on June 16, 2025, 08:53:33 PMHas anyone had tests in the last couple of weeks?
I had test results yesterday and my PSA is 0.01, down from 0.02, 6 months ago, both are brilliant. I've been tested for nearly 10 years, 2 years ago my PSA soared and I came in at 4 + 5 on the Gleason scale (that is VERY high) after Radiotherapy and Hormone treatment i am in a good place. The message has to be "get tested" (I am 77 in August)
The Gleason scale range goes up from 0 or undetectable to 10. The higher the number the bigger the problem that exists.
In case anyone is interested. Think private rather than the NHS. The NHS is really good for waiting times if a tumour is detected. Not so quick if for screening. Apart from being a long time Fulham fan I am the UK business manager for a diagnostic genetic testing company, fully accredited lab, world leading. Any diagnostic testing needs to be prescribed by an appropriate physician or genetic counsellor. If healthy and looking for peace of mind, we can do one type of test that looks at the most common markers of hereditary cancer. If there are symptoms or a family history we can do a specific diagnostic test for the suspected cancer type. Also if a tumour has been detected and information is sought on the biology of the tumour to see if there are drugs suitable for your specific DNA, then another type of genetic testing can be done. There are quite a few diagnostic companies like the one I work for. Testing costs between 500 and 1500 GBP for hereditary testing, and 500 and 3000 GBP for tumour analysis. Prices depend on how many genes are looked at as well things like MSI, TMB etc . A private genetic counsellor cost about 200 GBP. Avoid the American DNA testing labs... just gives you information that you have a mutation but not if it is relevant, and then go on and sell your data
We all have huge amounts of mutations... some just go on and cause disease unfortunately. if you want more info DM and I can forward some links. Not just the company I work for. I don't get involved with patients, but just giving you the information here as many people think the NHS is the only way to go. Private company have a 2-4 week turnaround. NHS for hereditary cancer testing is 3-18 months... sometimes more.
Quote from: gang on June 17, 2025, 03:01:10 PMThe Gleason scale range goes up from 0 or undetectable to 10. The higher the number the bigger the problem that exists.
Interpretation:
Gleason 6 (3+3): Low-grade cancer, cells look similar to normal cells.
Gleason 7 (3+4 or 4+3): Intermediate-grade cancer, cells look somewhat different from normal cells.
Gleason 8-10 (4+4, 3+5, 5+3, 4+5, 5+4, 5+5): High-grade cancer, cells look very different from normal cells.
So my 4+5 was why the medics were concerned!!
Quote from: FFC365 on June 17, 2025, 01:37:36 PMQuote from: sunburywhite on June 16, 2025, 08:53:33 PMHas anyone had tests in the last couple of weeks?
I had test results yesterday and my PSA is 0.01, down from 0.02, 6 months ago, both are brilliant. I've been tested for nearly 10 years, 2 years ago my PSA soared and I came in at 4 + 5 on the Gleason scale (that is VERY high) after Radiotherapy and Hormone treatment i am in a good place. The message has to be "get tested" (I am 77 in August)
Thanks FFC365, great post, shows that there are cures for all
I have a feeling I am going down the radiotherapy and hormone route
Anything I should know?
Quote from: sunburywhite on June 17, 2025, 08:14:00 PMQuote from: FFC365 on June 17, 2025, 01:37:36 PMQuote from: sunburywhite on June 16, 2025, 08:53:33 PMHas anyone had tests in the last couple of weeks?
I had test results yesterday and my PSA is 0.01, down from 0.02, 6 months ago, both are brilliant. I've been tested for nearly 10 years, 2 years ago my PSA soared and I came in at 4 + 5 on the Gleason scale (that is VERY high) after Radiotherapy and Hormone treatment i am in a good place. The message has to be "get tested" (I am 77 in August)
Thanks FFC365, great post, shows that there are cures for all
I have a feeling I am going down the radiotherapy and hormone route
Anything I should know?
I can testify that the treatment and I am told by those who know that it has a high rate of success. I encourage you to share your experience to all you meet at the hospital and you will learn and you will be able to help others in the same boat. The Radiotherapy is no problem, the hormone treatment does sap your energy and you get 'power surges' (hot flushes) but I continued to play competitive table tennis (with extra rest between games). I wish you well sunburywhite, be encouraged.
Quote from: sunburywhite on June 17, 2025, 08:14:00 PMQuote from: FFC365 on June 17, 2025, 01:37:36 PMQuote from: sunburywhite on June 16, 2025, 08:53:33 PMHas anyone had tests in the last couple of weeks?
I had test results yesterday and my PSA is 0.01, down from 0.02, 6 months ago, both are brilliant. I've been tested for nearly 10 years, 2 years ago my PSA soared and I came in at 4 + 5 on the Gleason scale (that is VERY high) after Radiotherapy and Hormone treatment i am in a good place. The message has to be "get tested" (I am 77 in August)
Thanks FFC365, great post, shows that there are cures for all
I have a feeling I am going down the radiotherapy and hormone route
Anything I should know?
Hormone route is a course of estrogen administered by injection prior to starting radiotherapy.You will then have markers put in to determine where the radiation goes.
Small dots are then tattooed as a guide for the radiologist.
A course of radiotherapy is then daily, mine was 3 weeks Monday to Friday, your timescale will be determined by your consultant.
None of this is painful although the insertion of the markers is a little uncomfortable.
During radiation you are lying down in the position that the radiologist will move you to and held in that position by the mechanics of the bed.
I had my treatment early in the morning and found it a good idea to go to bed for a couple of hours in the afternoon after treatment.
I know you will be worried about your condition but the treatment for prostate cancer
in England is highly successful and I wish you all the best for your treatment.
I've had psa and finger tests since I was 50 and was always told no sign of cancer.Im now 77,at 73 I decided to have turp because I had problems peeing, I had to have a mri before and they spotted a small lesion, ended up having 3+4 Gleasons freaked me out but decided to go active surveillance save all side affects of treatment 4 years on i'm on watchful waiting. Just remember guys just because your psa is ok no guarantee you're in the clear.
Ok here is my story. I had the finger test and was told I had an enlarged prostate but it was normal otherwise and I was ok. I then noticed blood in my urine and that started a whiole saga of tests on the bladder etc including prostate. Then I had a PSA test and was 17.9. I then had a biopsy which showed I had highly aggressive prostate cancer. Further tests reviewed it had escaped the prostate and got into my bones in about 6 places. That was 4 years ago
I then had radiotherapy and have been on various powerful hormone medication. This morning I had my Q injection into my stomach plus I take powerful medication daily
I live a normal life, travel to home games from Shropshire, play golf and drink too much as I enjoy it. The effects of the drugs are not great but heyho.
My PSA is 0.07 and am 69 years old.
The treatment keeps me alive and if I had not been diagnosed I would probably not be writing this.
Crikey Stu, thank Christ for the drugs eh?
I'm a Type One diabetic and so am in a similar boat to you without having had the severe treatments that you did. But if I stop taking the drugs then I am dead.
Christ Stu
Amazing journey and glad you are still on it
Thanks for sharing it and hopefully making more people aware
Blood results in. All good PSA 0.05. Should easily make 70. Another milestone. Live life everyone. On way to London now to see the family.
Blood results in. All good PSA 0.05. Should easily make 70. Another milestone. Live life everyone. On way to London now to see the family.
Quote from: StuinSalop on June 20, 2025, 10:58:10 AMBlood results in. All good PSA 0.05. Should easily make 70. Another milestone. Live life everyone. On way to London now to see the family.
Nice one.
Let's keep the stories going.
I can only add my thanks to everyone pushing this, and special thanks to Sunburywhite for starting this thread.
From my own perspective, I, and I magine others over here, have been very fortunate inasmuch that medical Insurance plans here allow for annual testing from the age of 50 for free, and so I am tested regularly whether I want it or not. Mine has gone up over the last 15 years and is now 1.3 but as the normal value: < OR = 4.00 ng/mL, I'm fortunate to still be good.
My father died of cancer and I thought I had an angle on that, but I will admit, I was totally ignorant of the seriousness of this until the missus (a nurse) advised me accordingly and quite forcefully.
I would only add my voice to all the guys on here, GET TESTED, think of the club, we don't have enough fans to lose even one to this.
Quote from: FFC365 on June 17, 2025, 05:01:30 PMQuote from: gang on June 17, 2025, 03:01:10 PMThe Gleason scale range goes up from 0 or undetectable to 10. The higher the number the bigger the problem that exists.
Interpretation:
Gleason 6 (3+3): Low-grade cancer, cells look similar to normal cells.
Gleason 7 (3+4 or 4+3): Intermediate-grade cancer, cells look somewhat different from normal cells.
Gleason 8-10 (4+4, 3+5, 5+3, 4+5, 5+4, 5+5): High-grade cancer, cells look very different from normal cells.
So my 4+5 was why the medics were concerned!!
Great to see this information being posted, there are obviously different scales being used around the globe, this is one from the US
PSA
Normal value: < OR = 4.00 ng/mL
Value: 1.33
The total PSA value from this assay system is standardized against the WHO standard. The test result will be approximately 20% lower when compared to the equimolar-standardized total PSA (Beckman Coulter). Comparison of serial PSA results should be interpreted with this fact in mind.
.
This test was performed using the Siemens chemiluminescent method. Values obtained from different assay methods cannot be used interchangeably. PSA levels, regardless of value, should not be interpreted as absolute evidence of the presence or absence of disease.
TV presenter Dermot Murnaghan has revealed he has been diagnosed with stage four prostate cancer.
His post started: "Some personal news......I've been diagnosed with Stage IV advanced prostate cancer."
He continued: "I'm responding positively to their excellent treatment, and feeling well.
"I'm blessed to be fortified by the monumental love and support of my wife, family and close friends.
"Needless to say my message to all men over 50, in high risk groups, or displaying symptoms, is get yourself tested and campaign for routine prostate screening by the NHS.
"Early detection is crucial. And be aware, this disease can sometimes progress rapidly without obvious symptoms."
Quote from: sunburywhite on June 23, 2025, 04:54:47 PMTV presenter Dermot Murnaghan has revealed he has been diagnosed with stage four prostate cancer.
His post started: "Some personal news......I've been diagnosed with Stage IV advanced prostate cancer."
He continued: "I'm responding positively to their excellent treatment, and feeling well.
"I'm blessed to be fortified by the monumental love and support of my wife, family and close friends.
"Needless to say my message to all men over 50, in high risk groups, or displaying symptoms, is get yourself tested and campaign for routine prostate screening by the NHS.
"Early detection is crucial. And be aware, this disease can sometimes progress rapidly without obvious symptoms."
You beat me to it, sunburywhite. Came here to post this. Coincidentally, I remember learning about Bill Turnbull's prostate cancer on this messageboard after someone had raised it here. Feel like I grew up with Bill and Dermot presenting the news so this is another sad day. I was only saying recently to my father (also diagnosed with PC) how well Dermot has aged. Little do we know what's going on and how this disease can take hold without symptoms. Best of luck to him.
What is prostate cancer?
The prostate is a gland about the size of a walnut, which sits just below the bladder within the pelvis, and is part of the male reproductive system
Common symptoms can include needing to urinate more frequently, particularly at night; difficulty starting to urinate, weak flow and it taking a long time; and blood in urine or *****
It is most common in older age - among men over 75
Prostate cancers can behave very differently - some can spread quickly, but others are very slow growing and may need minimal or even no treatment
Your risk of prostate cancer is higher if you have a close relative who has had prostate cancer, and it is also more common in black men
Stage four means the cancer has spread to other parts of the body
About 50% of men will survive their cancer for five years or more after being diagnosed with stage four prostate cancer, according to Cancer
How do you get a test?
& why is there not a regular testing program like there is for women for breast & cervical cancer?
Quote from: ffc73 on June 23, 2025, 10:30:32 PMHow do you get a test?
& why is there not a regular testing program like there is for women for breast & cervical cancer?
If you have symptoms then go to your GP and they move fast.
Here is the AI Overview on why there is no screening yet.
There's no routine prostate cancer screening program in the UK (and many other countries) because the most common screening test, the prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test, has limitations. It can produce inaccurate results (false positives and false negatives), and while it can detect some cancers, it can also detect cancers that might not be life-threatening, leading to unnecessary treatment and potential harmsBut you can buy kits online for about twenty quid, which after having to be checked earlier in the year, I think I might make a habit of doing.
I must admit it is worrying, the system for getting the 'free test everyone is entitled to'' as advertised is not as easy as it sounds up here in Stamford though. You have to get past the receptionist first!!
Dont tell her the problem. It is personal information between you and your Doctor which she has no right to question. You call for an appointment and if she refuses to give you one go higher and report her.
Quote from: Somerset Fulham on June 23, 2025, 11:05:30 PMQuote from: ffc73 on June 23, 2025, 10:30:32 PMHow do you get a test?
& why is there not a regular testing program like there is for women for breast & cervical cancer?
If you have symptoms then go to your GP and they move fast.
Here is the AI Overview on why there is no screening yet.
There's no routine prostate cancer screening program in the UK (and many other countries) because the most common screening test, the prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test, has limitations. It can produce inaccurate results (false positives and false negatives), and while it can detect some cancers, it can also detect cancers that might not be life-threatening, leading to unnecessary treatment and potential harms
But you can buy kits online for about twenty quid, which after having to be checked earlier in the year, I think I might make a habit of doing.
One test is a simple digital examination carried out by your doctor. Should they feel you have a problem they will give you a PSA test.
Bumping this back up to the top with an update on mine
After having a couple of MRI, CT and Pet scans over the course of the last three months and with a 4+3 Gleeson score and a FSa that is way to high, they have now started me on hormone tablets for 4 weeks (this blocks Testosterone which feeds cancer cells), apparently it is effective staright away, I then have an injection of Zoladex or Goserelin in a couple of weeks and then every 3 months for the next two years. I then start radiotherapy at end of september every day for 4 weeks and then I should be clear all things being equal
Lucky it was found early and happy to be alive
Excellent news. It's a tough old course of treatment which at times will hit you back at bit. It is important to listen to your head and if you feel tired then rest. If you feel like a brisk walk take that walk but perhaps halve the distance and then see how it goes. Mad, bonkers cravings are good and I could list some things pregnant woman haven't even thought of. Walnut Whips anyone? Walnut Whips with marmite on the base?????
One of the things we talk about a lot where I help out a bit is that some men absolutely fly through treatment and come back in with a donation after running a 10k or even a marathon. That is absolutely fantastic but for many of us it's more about hitting a few targets along the way and not circling the wagons. When you hit a target, no matter how daft it is, celebrate it.
Best of luck with it all.
Quote from: ScalleysDad on July 02, 2025, 09:13:55 PMExcellent news. It's a tough old course of treatment which at times will hit you back at bit. It is important to listen to your head and if you feel tired then rest. If you feel like a brisk walk take that walk but perhaps halve the distance and then see how it goes. Mad, bonkers cravings are good and I could list some things pregnant woman haven't even thought of. Walnut Whips anyone? Walnut Whips with marmite on the base?????
One of the things we talk about a lot where I help out a bit is that some men absolutely fly through treatment and come back in with a donation after running a 10k or even a marathon. That is absolutely fantastic but for many of us it's more about hitting a few targets along the way and not circling the wagons. When you hit a target, no matter how daft it is, celebrate it.
Best of luck with it all.
I wont have any Walnut Whip left mate lol
Quote from: sunburywhite on July 02, 2025, 05:09:03 PMBumping this back up to the top with an update on mine
After having a couple of MRI, CT and Pet scans over the course of the last three months and with a 4+3 Gleeson score and a FSa that is way to high, they have now started me on hormone tablets for 4 weeks (this blocks Testosterone which feeds cancer cells), apparently it is effective : away, I then have an injection of Zoladex or Goserelin in a couple of weeks and then every 3 months for the next two years. I then start radiotherapy at end of september every day for 4 weeks and then I should be clear all things being equal
Lucky it was found early and happy to be alive
Keep positive Sunbury and the very best to you.
Quote from: ffc73 on June 23, 2025, 10:30:32 PMHow do you get a test?
& why is there not a regular testing program like there is for women for breast & cervical cancer?
Perhaps this is a good question to raise with your local MP.
Another test that is being strongly pushed over here is the abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) using ultrasound, especially for any former (or current) smokers.
Just to add to the thread, I've been going through a bit of a scare recently and yesterday afternoon I was at Frimley Park Hospital for an examination and some tests,
The good news is that the enlarged prostate is benign but I do have to go in to Hospital for an operation to reduce the size of the prostate,
I did enquire as to the current waiting time for the operation and was informed that it will likely be 18 months
Oh well I'll muddle along in the knowledge that one day hopefully I'll be back to normal.
But as others have alluded to its a bit of a disgrace that Men aren't automatically called forward for a simple test when they reach a certain age in the same way as women are, and nobody is more vocal about that than my dear wife, she thinks it's disgraceful.
Quote from: blingo on June 24, 2025, 12:49:48 PMDont tell her the problem. It is personal information between you and your Doctor which she has no right to question. You call for an appointment and if she refuses to give you one go higher and report her.
Mine is a multi discipline surgery you do not have a dedicated doctor, the receptionist asks you basic questions so you can be directed to the most suitable doctor, works fine, and the 3 receptionists are extremely discreet and competent.
That obviously is not the same for everyone.
A GP is a GP Alfie all go through the same basic training to diagnose or direct you to a specialist. I don't understand why a receptionist should decide which Doctor should see you. Personally I wouldn't accept it, but of course, each to their own.
Interesting Times article today ... The charity Prostate Cancer UK calls for 'outdated' NHS guidance to be overhauled.
Doesn't change the advice to GET TESTED, just the treatments applied via NHS
Thousands of men 'should avoid unnecessary treatment' for prostate cancer (https://www.thetimes.com/uk/healthcare/article/prostate-cancer-unnecessary-treatment-nhs-995zl7sbk)
Quote from: sunburywhite on June 03, 2025, 08:07:26 PMOk boys
Lets start with a few things
It is not "discussed" by men for various reasons, we need to look at it
I have been diagnosed with it but luckily enough it is only about 6 months old and I have had fantastic care from the NHS and an amazing surgeon who has explained everything so well so I will survive
Often there are no outward signs so when you find out it can be too late
Given that
1. It is a taboo subject - all of you get tested please. Its only a blood test, you dont get a finger up your ar5e. Its now 50+ years old people who are getting it
2. I am lucky that it has been caught early and will probably die from other thing than the cancer so again get tested so you can catch it early
3. 1 in 8 men get it and if caught early enough they all live long lives 10 years plus
I also have prostate cancer and can agree with some of the stuff you said. Most tests are purely a blood test taking 5 minutes. Fortunately while I have a high PSA level I seem to be in will die with it rather than from it category.
However, it is not really as simple as that as there are a number of unpleasant side effects. The main one is that the enlarged prostate means you need to go to the loo more often. This at times got very painful as I wanted to go but could only pass a thimble full. This means that if you went out for a drink you had to make sure that your journey home had loos on route. There are drugs you can take to shrink the prostate but have side effects and can effect your mental well being.
Then there is prostate biopsy, most unpleasant experience at the time and the healing process. Gone on too long so will leave it there.
Quote from: sunburywhite on June 03, 2025, 08:07:26 PMOk boys
Lets start with a few things
It is not "discussed" by men for various reasons, we need to look at it
I have been diagnosed with it but luckily enough it is only about 6 months old and I have had fantastic care from the NHS and an amazing surgeon who has explained everything so well so I will survive
Often there are no outward signs so when you find out it can be too late
Given that
1. It is a taboo subject - all of you get tested please. Its only a blood test, you dont get a finger up your ar5e. Its now 50+ years old people who are getting it
2. I am lucky that it has been caught early and will probably die from other thing than the cancer so again get tested so you can catch it early
3. 1 in 8 men get it and if caught early enough they all live long lives 10 years plus
I also have prostate cancer and can agree with some of the stuff you said. Most tests are purely a blood test taking 5 minutes. Fortunately while I have a high PSA level I seem to be in will die with it rather than from it category.
However, it is not really as simple as that as there are a number of unpleasant side effects. The main one is that the enlarged prostate means you need to go to the loo more often. This at times got very painful as I wanted to go but could only pass a thimble full. This means that if you went out for a drink you had to make sure that your journey home had loos on route. There are drugs you can take to shrink the prostate but have side effects and can effect your mental well being.
Then there is prostate biopsy, most unpleasant experience at the time and the healing process. Gone on top long so will leave it there.
Quote from: Bill2 on August 12, 2025, 04:02:09 PMQuote from: sunburywhite on June 03, 2025, 08:07:26 PMOk boys
Lets start with a few things
It is not "discussed" by men for various reasons, we need to look at it
I have been diagnosed with it but luckily enough it is only about 6 months old and I have had fantastic care from the NHS and an amazing surgeon who has explained everything so well so I will survive
Often there are no outward signs so when you find out it can be too late
Given that
1. It is a taboo subject - all of you get tested please. Its only a blood test, you dont get a finger up your ar5e. Its now 50+ years old people who are getting it
2. I am lucky that it has been caught early and will probably die from other thing than the cancer so again get tested so you can catch it early
3. 1 in 8 men get it and if caught early enough they all live long lives 10 years plus
I also have prostate cancer and can agree with some of the stuff you said. Most tests are purely a blood test taking 5 minutes. Fortunately while I have a high PSA level I seem to be in will die with it rather than from it category.
However, it is not really as simple as that as there are a number of unpleasant side effects. The main one is that the enlarged prostate means you need to go to the loo more often. This at times got very painful as I wanted to go but could only pass a thimble full. This means that if you went out for a drink you had to make sure that your journey home had loos on route. There are drugs you can take to shrink the prostate but have side effects and can effect your mental well being.
Then there is prostate biopsy, most unpleasant experience at the time and the healing process. Gone on too long so will leave it there.
When I was there having my biopsy with ,my legs up in stirrups and ar5e hanging over the end of the table, I did look down at my rather attravtive nurse who was taking snips out of my prostate and I said to her "we must stop meeting like this"
Her smile took some of the pain away and its much better than being dead
Me again
If I can save one life amongst all of you I have done my job
Anyone had a PSA test?
Personally I have been on Abiraterone for a month now and steroid tablets
My PSA has come down from a horrific 52 to 1.7, so thats great news
The steroids are making me eat like there is no tomorrow so after I come back from holiday in two weeks time I need to cut that back
The tablets are giving me hot flushes so I know what the wives have been going through but apart from that I feel fine, get a bit tired in the afternoons
Radiation starts in about 8 weeks
Onwards and upwards
Quote from: sunburywhite on September 02, 2025, 09:17:20 PMMe again
If I can save one life amongst all of you I have done my job
Anyone had a PSA test?
Personally I have been on Abiraterone for a month now and steroid tablets
My PSA has come down from a horrific 52 to 1.7, so thats great news
The steroids are making me eat like there is no tomorrow so after I come back from holiday in two weeks time I need to cut that back
The tablets are giving me hot flushes so I know what the wives have been going through but apart from that I feel fine, get a bit tired in the afternoons
Radiation starts in about 8 weeks
Onwards and upwards
That's great and positive news Sunbury!
Good on you and keep fighting!
::wine::
Quote from: BestOfBrede on September 02, 2025, 09:44:02 PMQuote from: sunburywhite on September 02, 2025, 09:17:20 PMMe again
If I can save one life amongst all of you I have done my job
Anyone had a PSA test?
Personally I have been on Abiraterone for a month now and steroid tablets
My PSA has come down from a horrific 52 to 1.7, so thats great news
The steroids are making me eat like there is no tomorrow so after I come back from holiday in two weeks time I need to cut that back
The tablets are giving me hot flushes so I know what the wives have been going through but apart from that I feel fine, get a bit tired in the afternoons
Radiation starts in about 8 weeks
Onwards and upwards
That's great and positive news Sunbury!
Good on you and keep fighting!
::wine::
Keep smiling, good luck on your journey!
Keep going top man!
Quote from: sunburywhite on September 02, 2025, 09:17:20 PMMe again
If I can save one life amongst all of you I have done my job
Anyone had a PSA test?
Personally I have been on Abiraterone for a month now and steroid tablets
My PSA has come down from a horrific 52 to 1.7, so thats great news
The steroids are making me eat like there is no tomorrow so after I come back from holiday in two weeks time I need to cut that back
The tablets are giving me hot flushes so I know what the wives have been going through but apart from that I feel fine, get a bit tired in the afternoons
Radiation starts in about 8 weeks
Onwards and upwards
Hope the radiation goes well for you.
I had a psa test a fee months back it was this forum that prompted me to do it. Normal psa according to the GP surgery. I will battle with them again for another at some point.
How often should a psa be under taken?
Sorry, meant to say good luck with the treatment Sunbury 👍🏻
Quote from: sunburywhite on September 02, 2025, 09:17:20 PMMe again
If I can save one life amongst all of you I have done my job
Anyone had a PSA test?
Personally I have been on Abiraterone for a month now and steroid tablets
My PSA has come down from a horrific 52 to 1.7, so thats great news
The steroids are making me eat like there is no tomorrow so after I come back from holiday in two weeks time I need to cut that back
The tablets are giving me hot flushes so I know what the wives have been going through but apart from that I feel fine, get a bit tired in the afternoons
Radiation starts in about 8 weeks
Onwards and upwards
I had a PSA blood test end of July. It was 1.1 slightly up on last year's. 3 and over is when they'll call you back. There are other signs as well.
Early prostate cancer often has no symptoms. That's why screening and checks are important if you're at higher risk.
When symptoms do appear, they can include:
Needing to urinate more often, especially at night
Trouble starting or stopping urination
Weak flow or feeling like the bladder doesn't empty fully
Blood in urine or ***** (less common)
Erectile difficulties or pelvic discomfort (sometimes)
Women are more informed because women's health has a place in media, magazines and articles in papers specifically aimed at and for women and they share. Men didn't have that but times have changed and there are lads mags out there now and there's more. I'm sure it's been mentioned on here before and will no doubt gain traction on here.
I'll start a poll tomorrow Sunbury to see how many of us have or haven't had a PSA test ::thumb::
Good luck to all who have had cancer scares. I wish you well.
I am so glad to see this thread. I had been nagging my husband since he turned 60 to get a PSA test to no avail. Happily it came up in conversation at his walking football group where one of the chaps had said his brother had been diagnosed with prostate cancer which prompted him to get tested only to find he was in the early stages himself which thankfully meant it was treatable. As a result my husband got a test sorted, which was fine, and now has an annual check up. Good luck to all you chaps undergoing treatment and thank you to Sunbury for starting the conversation.
However, it is not really as simple as that as there are a number of unpleasant side effects. The main one is that the enlarged prostate means you need to go to the loo more often. This at times got very painful as I wanted to go but could only pass a thimble full. This means that if you went out for a drink you had to make sure that your journey home had loos on route. There are drugs you can take to shrink the prostate but have side effects and can effect your mental well being.
Then there is prostate biopsy, most unpleasant experience at the time and the healing process. Gone on too long so will leave it there.
[/quote]
The going to the loo a lot is a symptom of BPH (BPH stands for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. Benign = not cancer. Prostatic = relating to the prostate gland. Hyperplasia = an increase in the number of normal cells, which makes the gland grow larger.)
There are several procedures that can address the tissue growth that makes peeing harder and too frequent. Last year I underwent what is called in the U.S. an aquablation. High pressure water stream was used to clear away much of the interior of the prostate (it sounds terrible but, while being pretty invasive, was really not that big of a deal). It really cleared things up for me. Unfortunately, they biopsied the tissue that was removed and found that there were some cancerous cells. But my cancer grading is such that I am only under "active surveillance" which means PSA tests twice a year to monitor changes in PSA level.
I definitely suggest that men 50+ have regular PSA tests. Prostate cancer is generally very slow growing so most won't have to have aggressive treatments unless you can't stand knowing that there is some cancer there.
Quote from: sunburywhite on September 02, 2025, 09:17:20 PMMe again
If I can save one life amongst all of you I have done my job
Anyone had a PSA test?
Personally I have been on Abiraterone for a month now and steroid tablets
My PSA has come down from a horrific 52 to 1.7, so thats great news
The steroids are making me eat like there is no tomorrow so after I come back from holiday in two weeks time I need to cut that back
The tablets are giving me hot flushes so I know what the wives have been going through but apart from that I feel fine, get a bit tired in the afternoons
Radiation starts in about 8 weeks
Onwards and upwards
Great news SW,that'll be a huge relief.
Bumping it back to the top again
Here is my update
Some 6 months after getting told I have cancer and receiving great care from the NHS I should start a 4 week radiation course from 19/11
I am on hormones and getting hot flushes
I am putting weight on as I get the munchies
But I am still alive unlike the poor schmuks who never got it caught in time
Get yourself tested
Quote from: SuffolkWhite on September 02, 2025, 10:18:47 PMI had a psa test a fee months back it was this forum that prompted me to do it. Normal psa according to the GP surgery. I will battle with them again for another at some point.
How often should a psa be under taken?
Annually unless you find symptoms.
A few months ago I was told I had stage 4 pancreatic cancer that had spread to my liver. This was discovered when,during a short stay in hospital for something else, I had a scan that revealed the cancer. I was referred to the cancer unit where I am under a very good consultant. He can't make me out: he looks at all the scans and then looks at me and can't understand why I am not experiencing any of the usual symptoms - loss of weight, jaundice, back pain, and more. He has discussed my case with other consultants in the group and all say the scans show I have cancer. Then I am placed in front of them like a goldfish in a bowl and they too can't understand why I am not at death's door.
The reason, I believe, is that I have taken DMSO, a natural product that was all the rage in the 1960s in the USA and used for many ailments, but was banned when the FDA realised it couldn't be patented. Health is a huge business in the States and hospitals would go bust if a cure costing a few dollars was used successfully to treat cancer and many other illnesses instead of drugs costing thousands. So the FDA, which is controlled by the big drug companies, banned it. Politicians have pleaded with the FDA to change their mind, but so far without success, although Kennedy may have more luck. Some doctors use it but keep quiet about it.
I tell other people about DMSO but always get a look that says if doctors aren't prescribing it, it can't work. But it does. So anyone with prostrate problems, please investigate it, DMSO will help. They are thousands of cases where DMSO has been proven to cure many different diseases.
Whether DMSO will cure my cancer is doubtful, it is very advanced; but it is helping me to live without the symtoms, and hopefully for longer. It is also fun watching the doctors who say they are 'flumoxed'. I will tell them one day.
I have a PSA test tomorrow afternoon - hopefully all good
Just saw my urologist today and thought I would add an update to this thread.
First off, glad to see so many taking matters into hand and getting preventive attention. Very important, and this cancer is treatable, especially if caught early on.
Important for all over 50 (earlier if family history):
1) Yearly blood work PSA
2) Yearly digital exam (finger job)
Digital exam very important. Cancers can be detected with this exam and can be caught in spite of favorable PSA blood results.
My update is early in thread, some indicated digital not necessary, and some also indicated can be done via ultrasound. NOT ACCURATE Information. Digital exam very important and bloodwork sometimes will not tell whole story. Ultrasounds can be used to detect size of prostate and is an expensive procedure and it is still invasive, requires rectal intrusion. Just let your doc or urologist do the finger job, it's 10-15 seconds of discomfort and done.
Quote from: Gloucester White on October 17, 2025, 11:00:57 AMA few months ago I was told I had stage 4 pancreatic cancer that had spread to my liver. This was discovered when,during a short stay in hospital for something else, I had a scan that revealed the cancer. I was referred to the cancer unit where I am under a very good consultant. He can't make me out: he looks at all the scans and then looks at me and can't understand why I am not experiencing any of the usual symptoms - loss of weight, jaundice, back pain, and more. He has discussed my case with other consultants in the group and all say the scans show I have cancer. Then I am placed in front of them like a goldfish in a bowl and they too can't understand why I am not at death's door.
The reason, I believe, is that I have taken DMSO, a natural product that was all the rage in the 1960s in the USA and used for many ailments, but was banned when the FDA realised it couldn't be patented. Health is a huge business in the States and hospitals would go bust if a cure costing a few dollars was used successfully to treat cancer and many other illnesses instead of drugs costing thousands. So the FDA, which is controlled by the big drug companies, banned it. Politicians have pleaded with the FDA to change their mind, but so far without success, although Kennedy may have more luck. Some doctors use it but keep quiet about it.
I tell other people about DMSO but always get a look that says if doctors aren't prescribing it, it can't work. But it does. So anyone with prostrate problems, please investigate it, DMSO will help. They are thousands of cases where DMSO has been proven to cure many different diseases.
Whether DMSO will cure my cancer is doubtful, it is very advanced; but it is helping me to live without the symtoms, and hopefully for longer. It is also fun watching the doctors who say they are 'flumoxed'. I will tell them one day.
Hope you are OK Gloucester White
I went for all the bloods, not just PSA. PSA was fine but very high marker found for amylase. i
a few expensive checks later found gallstones, so I'm having the gallbladder removed on Monday. Getting it done during an international break just in case H4 is not available for Sunderland.
Quote from: onecupsoon on November 14, 2025, 04:59:45 PMI went for all the bloods, not just PSA. PSA was fine but very high marker found for amylase. i
a few expensive checks later found gallstones, so I'm having the gallbladder removed on Monday. Getting it done during an international break just in case H4 is not available for Sunderland.
All the best with that. Allow yourself a bit of recuperation and downtime and eat whatever you darn well fancy.
Even David Cameron has now had it so it doenst discriminate on who gets it
I am now 4 sessions into my treatment, another 16 to go
Quote from: sunburywhite on November 14, 2025, 04:52:32 PMQuote from: Gloucester White on October 17, 2025, 11:00:57 AMA few months ago I was told I had stage 4 pancreatic cancer that had spread to my liver. This was discovered when,during a short stay in hospital for something else, I had a scan that revealed the cancer. I was referred to the cancer unit where I am under a very good consultant. He can't make me out: he looks at all the scans and then looks at me and can't understand why I am not experiencing any of the usual symptoms - loss of weight, jaundice, back pain, and more. He has discussed my case with other consultants in the group and all say the scans show I have cancer. Then I am placed in front of them like a goldfish in a bowl and they too can't understand why I am not at death's door.
The reason, I believe, is that I have taken DMSO, a natural product that was all the rage in the 1960s in the USA and used for many ailments, but was banned when the FDA realised it couldn't be patented. Health is a huge business in the States and hospitals would go bust if a cure costing a few dollars was used successfully to treat cancer and many other illnesses instead of drugs costing thousands. So the FDA, which is controlled by the big drug companies, banned it. Politicians have pleaded with the FDA to change their mind, but so far without success, although Kennedy may have more luck. Some doctors use it but keep quiet about it.
I tell other people about DMSO but always get a look that says if doctors aren't prescribing it, it can't work. But it does. So anyone with prostrate problems, please investigate it, DMSO will help. They are thousands of cases where DMSO has been proven to cure many different diseases.
Whether DMSO will cure my cancer is doubtful, it is very advanced; but it is helping me to live without the symtoms, and hopefully for longer. It is also fun watching the doctors who say they are 'flumoxed'. I will tell them one day.
Hope you are OK Gloucester White
Thank you. I feel great, no symptoms at all, which is kind of crazy. Just been to see the oncologist - a fun meeting! Was told I could have palliative chemo and was given a list as long as my arm of side effects. Will talk it over with my family, but first inclination is to refuse it. The chemo will kill off my immune system and leave me susceptible to covid and whatever else is around this winter. It could also interfere with my DMSO. At best it would only add a month or two and doesn't seem worth suffering the side effects.
I was advised to make a will (sensible), and also asked where I wanted to spend my last days (home or hospital), and whether I wanted to be revived! As I say, a fun meeting. I was offered a prognosis but declined - I bet him 50p I would last longer than the figure he had in mind.
Quote from: Gloucester White on November 25, 2025, 01:38:11 PMQuote from: sunburywhite on November 14, 2025, 04:52:32 PMQuote from: Gloucester White on October 17, 2025, 11:00:57 AMA few months ago I was told I had stage 4 pancreatic cancer that had spread to my liver. This was discovered when,during a short stay in hospital for something else, I had a scan that revealed the cancer. I was referred to the cancer unit where I am under a very good consultant. He can't make me out: he looks at all the scans and then looks at me and can't understand why I am not experiencing any of the usual symptoms - loss of weight, jaundice, back pain, and more. He has discussed my case with other consultants in the group and all say the scans show I have cancer. Then I am placed in front of them like a goldfish in a bowl and they too can't understand why I am not at death's door.
The reason, I believe, is that I have taken DMSO, a natural product that was all the rage in the 1960s in the USA and used for many ailments, but was banned when the FDA realised it couldn't be patented. Health is a huge business in the States and hospitals would go bust if a cure costing a few dollars was used successfully to treat cancer and many other illnesses instead of drugs costing thousands. So the FDA, which is controlled by the big drug companies, banned it. Politicians have pleaded with the FDA to change their mind, but so far without success, although Kennedy may have more luck. Some doctors use it but keep quiet about it.
I tell other people about DMSO but always get a look that says if doctors aren't prescribing it, it can't work. But it does. So anyone with prostrate problems, please investigate it, DMSO will help. They are thousands of cases where DMSO has been proven to cure many different diseases.
Whether DMSO will cure my cancer is doubtful, it is very advanced; but it is helping me to live without the symtoms, and hopefully for longer. It is also fun watching the doctors who say they are 'flumoxed'. I will tell them one day.
Hope you are OK Gloucester White
Thank you. I feel great, no symptoms at all, which is kind of crazy. Just been to see the oncologist - a fun meeting! Was told I could have palliative chemo and was given a list as long as my arm of side effects. Will talk it over with my family, but first inclination is to refuse it. The chemo will kill off my immune system and leave me susceptible to covid and whatever else is around this winter. It could also interfere with my DMSO. At best it would only add a month or two and doesn't seem worth suffering the side effects.
I was advised to make a will (sensible), and also asked where I wanted to spend my last days (home or hospital), and whether I wanted to be revived! As I say, a fun meeting. I was offered a prognosis but declined - I bet him 50p I would last longer than the figure he had in mind.
I don't know what to say other than I wish you well.
Quote from: alfie on November 25, 2025, 03:29:34 PMQuote from: Gloucester White on November 25, 2025, 01:38:11 PMQuote from: sunburywhite on November 14, 2025, 04:52:32 PMQuote from: Gloucester White on October 17, 2025, 11:00:57 AMA few months ago I was told I had stage 4 pancreatic cancer that had spread to my liver. This was discovered when,during a short stay in hospital for something else, I had a scan that revealed the cancer. I was referred to the cancer unit where I am under a very good consultant. He can't make me out: he looks at all the scans and then looks at me and can't understand why I am not experiencing any of the usual symptoms - loss of weight, jaundice, back pain, and more. He has discussed my case with other consultants in the group and all say the scans show I have cancer. Then I am placed in front of them like a goldfish in a bowl and they too can't understand why I am not at death's door.
The reason, I believe, is that I have taken DMSO, a natural product that was all the rage in the 1960s in the USA and used for many ailments, but was banned when the FDA realised it couldn't be patented. Health is a huge business in the States and hospitals would go bust if a cure costing a few dollars was used successfully to treat cancer and many other illnesses instead of drugs costing thousands. So the FDA, which is controlled by the big drug companies, banned it. Politicians have pleaded with the FDA to change their mind, but so far without success, although Kennedy may have more luck. Some doctors use it but keep quiet about it.
I tell other people about DMSO but always get a look that says if doctors aren't prescribing it, it can't work. But it does. So anyone with prostrate problems, please investigate it, DMSO will help. They are thousands of cases where DMSO has been proven to cure many different diseases.
Whether DMSO will cure my cancer is doubtful, it is very advanced; but it is helping me to live without the symtoms, and hopefully for longer. It is also fun watching the doctors who say they are 'flumoxed'. I will tell them one day.
Hope you are OK Gloucester White
Thank you. I feel great, no symptoms at all, which is kind of crazy. Just been to see the oncologist - a fun meeting! Was told I could have palliative chemo and was given a list as long as my arm of side effects. Will talk it over with my family, but first inclination is to refuse it. The chemo will kill off my immune system and leave me susceptible to covid and whatever else is around this winter. It could also interfere with my DMSO. At best it would only add a month or two and doesn't seem worth suffering the side effects.
I was advised to make a will (sensible), and also asked where I wanted to spend my last days (home or hospital), and whether I wanted to be revived! As I say, a fun meeting. I was offered a prognosis but declined - I bet him 50p I would last longer than the figure he had in mind.
I don't know what to say other than I wish you well.
Thanks Alfie, appreciated.
Quote from: alfie on November 25, 2025, 03:29:34 PMQuote from: Gloucester White on November 25, 2025, 01:38:11 PMQuote from: sunburywhite on November 14, 2025, 04:52:32 PMQuote from: Gloucester White on October 17, 2025, 11:00:57 AMA few months ago I was told I had stage 4 pancreatic cancer that had spread to my liver. This was discovered when,during a short stay in hospital for something else, I had a scan that revealed the cancer. I was referred to the cancer unit where I am under a very good consultant. He can't make me out: he looks at all the scans and then looks at me and can't understand why I am not experiencing any of the usual symptoms - loss of weight, jaundice, back pain, and more. He has discussed my case with other consultants in the group and all say the scans show I have cancer. Then I am placed in front of them like a goldfish in a bowl and they too can't understand why I am not at death's door.
The reason, I believe, is that I have taken DMSO, a natural product that was all the rage in the 1960s in the USA and used for many ailments, but was banned when the FDA realised it couldn't be patented. Health is a huge business in the States and hospitals would go bust if a cure costing a few dollars was used successfully to treat cancer and many other illnesses instead of drugs costing thousands. So the FDA, which is controlled by the big drug companies, banned it. Politicians have pleaded with the FDA to change their mind, but so far without success, although Kennedy may have more luck. Some doctors use it but keep quiet about it.
I tell other people about DMSO but always get a look that says if doctors aren't prescribing it, it can't work. But it does. So anyone with prostrate problems, please investigate it, DMSO will help. They are thousands of cases where DMSO has been proven to cure many different diseases.
Whether DMSO will cure my cancer is doubtful, it is very advanced; but it is helping me to live without the symtoms, and hopefully for longer. It is also fun watching the doctors who say they are 'flumoxed'. I will tell them one day.
Hope you are OK Gloucester White
Thank you. I feel great, no symptoms at all, which is kind of crazy. Just been to see the oncologist - a fun meeting! Was told I could have palliative chemo and was given a list as long as my arm of side effects. Will talk it over with my family, but first inclination is to refuse it. The chemo will kill off my immune system and leave me susceptible to covid and whatever else is around this winter. It could also interfere with my DMSO. At best it would only add a month or two and doesn't seem worth suffering the side effects.
I was advised to make a will (sensible), and also asked where I wanted to spend my last days (home or hospital), and whether I wanted to be revived! As I say, a fun meeting. I was offered a prognosis but declined - I bet him 50p I would last longer than the figure he had in mind.
I don't know what to say other than I wish you well.
I think Alfie sums it up well - difficult to know what to say under the circumstances, but you seem to be giving the medical profession a run for their money, long may it continue!! Best wishes to you and your family.
Blimey. Do you have any support services you can go to? In my experience it's best to take a few days to digest everything, always a stupid statement when time is a factor, and then make your plan, even if it's just in your head. Then take it to the family. I have sat in several meetings where all the love in the world trips over what the patient feels they can cope with.
All the very, very best.
Amazing attitude Gloucester White, very brave outlook
I can only hope and pray that the DMSO does work for you and you are still around to see us win the league/ win the cup or whatever comes first
Thanks guys, really appreciate your comments. ::thumb::
The days aren't too bad, I can put it out of my mind then; but the nights are difficult.
My update
I am glad, happy and proud to say I rangthe bell today
4 weeks of radiotherapy finished so in theory my cancerous cells have been killed
No real side effects, couple of dodgy tummies that Imodiam sorted out, 1 UTI which is pretty much finished
I didnt feel that tired like they say you can so all in all a good result
NHS staff were fantastic, my whole journey has had fantastic staff in it so I am lucky with that
Onwards and upwards
Quote from: sunburywhite on December 16, 2025, 04:49:43 PMMy update
I am glad, happy and proud to say I rangthe bell today
4 weeks of radiotherapy finished so in theory my cancerous cells have been killed
No real side effects, couple of dodgy tummies that Imodiam sorted out, 1 UTI which is pretty much finished
I didnt feel that tired like they say you can so all in all a good result
NHS staff were fantastic, my whole journey has had fantastic staff in it so I am lucky with that
Onwards and upwards
What fabulous news! So happy for you and your family. I'm sure your positive outlook has helped tremendously. As you rightly say onwards and upwards. Obviously I don't normally add kisses on threads on FOF but think they're appropriate here! Xx
I really am so sorry GW, it must take some serious bollocks to stand up to a prognosis such as that without completely imploding. I am not sure that I could cope with it but I am so glad that you can.
And on the flipside, that is great news, SW. What a relief that must be.
I feel glad for me but so sorry for GW at the same time
I quite agree that I hope you are still beating the doctors
I just caught up with this thread and am delighted to hear that SW got to ring the bell. At the same time I am humbled and moved by GW's courage in the face of such dreadful news.
And to have the balls to bet 50p no less! Now that takes serious cojones GW!
Also only just caught up with this - and I am in awe at the amazing bravery , mental attitude ( and humour ) shown by GW . I couldn't hold a candle to you . The very best of luck to you and your loved ones.
Outstanding news Sunbury White so delighted to hear your news - bless you both for your openness and fortitude
Likewise Am blown away by GW, inspiring stuff that will stay with me for sure.
And join the others in wishing you and your family the absolute best.
Also of course glad to hear of your experience SW. Here's to all the gents here who have been, will be or are currently affected by this and credit to those highlighting the full spectrum of experiences.
Quote from: sunburywhite on December 16, 2025, 05:45:09 PMI feel glad for me but so sorry for GW at the same time
I quite agree that I hope you are still beating the doctors
Of course also wishing you all the best GW.
Thanks everyone for your good wishes, appreciate it. I'm still feeling well. Getting a bit fed up with various people phoning me and talking about my death! Latest is the hospice. I am sure they do a good job, but really it can get depressing. I have my 2 kids and my grandchildren staying at Christmas and the hospice lady wants to advise me how to tell them the 2 young ones. Don't think I can face that. Keira was 6 this week, and Ollie is 3. I think I will chicken out of that one. It would ruin Christmas - well, that's my excuse anyway.
Great news Sunbury, as you say, onwards and upwards.
Tony
It's not an excuse - it is important that you take things at the pace you want to. Of course it's wise of you to listen to others well meaning council but given your already demonstrable courage you must follow your instincts . You are clearly a very good man trying to do the best for everyone around you - bless you .
Quote from: HV71 on December 17, 2025, 09:28:39 AMIt's not an excuse - it is important that you take things at the pace you want to. Of course it's wise of you to listen to others well meaning council but given your already demonstrable courage you must follow your instincts . You are clearly a very good man trying to do the best for everyone around you - bless you .
Thank you. I don't think I can sit the little ones down and tell them Grumpy is dying and I probably won't see you again (they live in Portsmouth, a long way from Telford)- I was asked if I wanted to be Grandad or Grandpa and opted for Grumpy as my wife is always telling me I am grumpy! Just can't face that.
Quote from: Gloucester White on December 17, 2025, 10:18:55 AMQuote from: HV71 on December 17, 2025, 09:28:39 AMIt's not an excuse - it is important that you take things at the pace you want to. Of course it's wise of you to listen to others well meaning council but given your already demonstrable courage you must follow your instincts . You are clearly a very good man trying to do the best for everyone around you - bless you .
Thank you. I don't think I can sit the little ones down and tell them Grumpy is dying and I probably won't see you again (they live in Portsmouth, a long way from Telford)- I was asked if I wanted to be Grandad or Grandpa and opted for Grumpy as my wife is always telling me I am grumpy! Just can't face that.
Hi Tony
Fcuk life is hard isnt it
This is not a solution but when one of our cats died my daughter told Finley who is coming up for 3 that Holly had gone to live in another house, sometimes cats doe that. He accepted that
I cant advise you how to handle it but it seems like you have your head screwed on and I am sure you will handle it in the right way
If I was one of your grand children. I'd appriate a letter. Telling me about your life especially all the best bits. I'd have that letter for life then. It would very probably change the way I go about things.
We've only swapped a couple of messages but right now I just want to hear the good stuff. Not just because it would delay me thinking about the worst but because it would give you a break from it as well.
So I'm keeping my fingers crossed and looking forward to hearing something we don't know about you :)
Hi Tony
Hope you are holding up
IRonic is right, you need to leave something behind for those who follow as hard and sad as that sounds
I was lucky I worked for a long time with my dad so knew most about his worklife but not all are so lucky
So many times after my father then my mother died, we as a family would aska question and then say "if only mum was here, she would know"
You can always read a story on the Tony machines for the kids or record sopmething for posterity
I wiped all our voicemails on the phone because I couldnt bear to hear my mothers voice but other people might see it different
Quote from: Gloucester White on December 17, 2025, 10:18:55 AMQuote from: HV71 on December 17, 2025, 09:28:39 AMIt's not an excuse - it is important that you take things at the pace you want to. Of course it's wise of you to listen to others well meaning council but given your already demonstrable courage you must follow your instincts . You are clearly a very good man trying to do the best for everyone around you - bless you .
Thank you. I don't think I can sit the little ones down and tell them Grumpy is dying and I probably won't see you again (they live in Portsmouth, a long way from Telford)- I was asked if I wanted to be Grandad or Grandpa and opted for Grumpy as my wife is always telling me I am grumpy! Just can't face that.
On that basis I would be "Grandad b@stard"
LOL Sunbury.
Damn this must be so hard, GW and once again I am so very sorry.
Maybe don't tell them and just have the best time that you and those children have ever had. As I Ronic has said, a letter would be an amazing thing, telling them about your life, your passions and your love for them both.
I would have loved it if either of my grandparents had left me something like that.
I hope you have the greatest Christmas you have ever had mate.
x
Both my grandfathers were known as Grumpy; and my father was Grumpy to my kids It's not a name that's heard very commonly - so good to know that someone else is using it.
My mother died when my sister and I were both at university. This was almost forty years ago. My sister has said several times that she wishes that there had been video available as she would have loved to have footage (and sound) of our mother that she could look back and show to her kids.
I've recently been on the end of serious illness (and death) of another close relative. It all went too fast to get to the video stage and I think that my kids may also wish they had some footage.
If you're up to it, you could get some video to share - you could start with you reading one of your grandkids favourite bedtime stories, and then go on to some footage for when they are older. Just make sure that there are several copies stored with different people.
A letter, brilliant, what a great idea. I will do that. Thanks so much for the idea and your kind comments. Happy christmas to all and 3 points on Monday please. ::thumb::
Tony aka Gumpy
Good luck and all the best Sunbury White and Gloucester White with your treatments, and I include and not forgetting everyone else who are suffering issues with their health and well being.
Quote from: HV71 on December 17, 2025, 09:28:39 AMIt's not an excuse - it is important that you take things at the pace you want to. Of course it's wise of you to listen to others well meaning council but given your already demonstrable courage you must follow your instincts . You are clearly a very good man trying to do the best for everyone around you - bless you .
My thoughts exactly MrHV wasgoing to write something similar.
Do what YOU feel is right MrGW, I wish you and yours the BEST Christmas EVER. GBY.
Not for everyone but personally I'd try Dandelion root, Fenbendazole and Ivermectin, anything's worth a try. Attitude is everything and you both clearly have what it takes. You may want to pick up this video of Michael Sheen reading Dylan Thomas 'Do not go Gentle into that good night.' Good luck and here's wishing for Christmas miracles all round.
Not sure how to put a link on here but this is the address if you're interested in this rendition of a poem that may help keep your spirits up.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=3937537686362404
Quote from: Gloucester White on June 06, 2025, 03:29:08 PMWish I had the faith that you guys have for our health service. I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer about 8 years ago. I had 4 bouts of pancreatitis involving around 4 weeks in hospital on a drip each time, and was under the John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford. Then they stuck a camera down me to examine my pancreas - they put you under to do that. Just as I was coming round from the anesthetic the doctor told me she had found a tumour and they would be in touch. She then disappeared, leaving me barely conscious and shocked.
I was then transferred to the Churchill hospital (the cancer hospital in the John Radcliffe group) where the consultant wanted to remove most of my insides during an 11 hour operation. Later, they decided I wouldn't survive the operation and basically sent in home to die.
I did some research online and found a doctor in the USA who had success curing pancreatic cancer just by giving the patient large doses of iodine. It worked, the iodine burnt away the tumour. It's not possible to overdose, it just turns your pee a spectaclur shade of orange! The survival rate for patients having the usual pancreas operation is 12% after 5 years. 8 years and counting, so far I am beating those odds.
GW hope your ok,I had a conversation with the nurse when getting a blood test,about surgeries not being prevention first as testing to prevention stops them treating the ill.
All men over 40 should get tested on a regular basis.
Bumping back to the top
Clarkson has just showed the benefit of getting tested
Very lucky for him that he did
As the thread is live again, I thought I would add an update. A few people have been kind enough to send me private messages asking how I am doing. In one week it will be 10 months since my diagnoses of stage 4 pancreatic cancer. 9 days ago I had a CT scan as my consultant wants to know why I'm not dead! Haven't seen the results yet. I received a Fitbit for my birthday in April, and entered my weight as 183 pounds, today it is 182. Severe weight loss is a sign that the patient is circling the drain, so I must be doing something right. So glad I refused the palliative chemo. ::wine::
Quote from: Gloucester White on June 21, 2026, 12:49:24 PMAs the thread is live again, I thought I would add an update. A few people have been kind enough to send me private messages asking how I am doing. In one week it will be 10 months since my diagnoses of stage 4 pancreatic cancer. 8 days ago I had a CT scan as my consultant wants to know why I'm not dead! Haven't seen the results yet. I received a Fitbit for my birthday in April, and entered my weight as 183 pounds, today it is 182. Severe weight loss is a sign that the patient is circling the drain, so I must be doing something right. So glad I refused the palliative chemo. ::wine::
Thanks for the update Tony, good news
Lets hope you are around long enough to see the new manager
Absolutely flippin excellent news.
Quote from: Gloucester White on June 21, 2026, 12:49:24 PMAs the thread is live again, I thought I would add an update. A few people have been kind enough to send me private messages asking how I am doing. In one week it will be 10 months since my diagnoses of stage 4 pancreatic cancer. 9 days ago I had a CT scan as my consultant wants to know why I'm not dead! Haven't seen the results yet. I received a Fitbit for my birthday in April, and entered my weight as 183 pounds, today it is 182. Severe weight loss is a sign that the patient is circling the drain, so I must be doing something right. So glad I refused the palliative chemo. ::wine::
Really hope that the scan is good news. Tough one to beat but you're doing remarkably well and long may it continue.
Quote from: Fulham 1879 on June 21, 2026, 10:30:24 PMQuote from: Gloucester White on June 21, 2026, 12:49:24 PMAs the thread is live again, I thought I would add an update. A few people have been kind enough to send me private messages asking how I am doing. In one week it will be 10 months since my diagnoses of stage 4 pancreatic cancer. 9 days ago I had a CT scan as my consultant wants to know why I'm not dead! Haven't seen the results yet. I received a Fitbit for my birthday in April, and entered my weight as 183 pounds, today it is 182. Severe weight loss is a sign that the patient is circling the drain, so I must be doing something right. So glad I refused the palliative chemo. ::wine::
Really hope that the scan is good news. Tough one to beat but you're doing remarkably well and long may it continue.
Thank you.
Thanks for the update Gloucester. Any load shared is easier to carry and there's alot of anecdotal evidence that shows a problem, worry or an illness shared is also hugely beneficial to the recipient. So don't feel we're here just for the good news.
Do you remember the Juve game. Second leg at CC already 2 down and they score another within five minutes of the start. Game over. Our Europa journey was coming to an end. Or so most of us thought.
Zamora gets one back, grabs the ball and brings it back to the centre circle. Zoltan gets another. Adds another from the penalty spot and we're level.
Then Dempsey's cross/shot floats almost in slow motion over the head of the goalie, into the net and the whole place goes loopy.
Wherever determination and positivity live there's hope :)
Quote from: Gloucester White on June 21, 2026, 12:49:24 PMAs the thread is live again, I thought I would add an update. A few people have been kind enough to send me private messages asking how I am doing. In one week it will be 10 months since my diagnoses of stage 4 pancreatic cancer. 9 days ago I had a CT scan as my consultant wants to know why I'm not dead! Haven't seen the results yet. I received a Fitbit for my birthday in April, and entered my weight as 183 pounds, today it is 182. Severe weight loss is a sign that the patient is circling the drain, so I must be doing something right. So glad I refused the palliative chemo. ::wine::
Keep fighting GW, thoughts are with you
Good lad. ::thumb::
Thanks guys. Your encouragement really helps. Although I've just watched England's first half and am feeling a bit suicidal :slap:
Quote from: Gloucester White on June 23, 2026, 10:07:58 PMThanks guys. Your encouragement really helps. Although I've just watched England's first half and am feeling a bit suicidal :slap:
I can understand that - keep going Gloucester White - your openness and spirit are both an example and an inspiration to us all . Top man .
Quote from: sunburywhite on June 03, 2025, 08:07:26 PMOk boys
Lets start with a few things
It is not "discussed" by men for various reasons, we need to look at it
I have been diagnosed with it but luckily enough it is only about 6 months old and I have had fantastic care from the NHS and an amazing surgeon who has explained everything so well so I will survive
Often there are no outward signs so when you find out it can be too late
Given that
1. It is a taboo subject - all of you get tested please. Its only a blood test, you dont get a finger up your ar5e. Its now 50+ years old people who are getting it
2. I am lucky that it has been caught early and will probably die from other thing than the cancer so again get tested so you can catch it early
3. 1 in 8 men get it and if caught early enough they all live long lives 10 years plus
I was diagnosed with this some years ago, but fortunately not the type you appear to have. My treatment consists of regular blood tests and bi-annual biopsies, which are most undignified and uncomfortable.
The real problem I have is the drug regime to shrink the prostate, however, they have significant side effects. I will go no more than that, but having a more serious form of cancer which can be treated by radiotherapy etc can be better in the long run. But most importantly keep an eye for the signs but these don't always manifest themselves so get a blood test.
Awful news emerging from the NHS on BBC News ::angry::
Men 'will lose right to prostate cancer tests' (https://www.thetimes.com/uk/healthcare/article/prostate-cancer-tests-screening-7wt2ths7l)
Middle-aged men could lose the right to be tested for prostate cancer if they are not showing symptoms under new government plans.
The Department of Health and Social Care has released guidance that grants GPs the power to decide who is given a blood test to help identify the disease, according to a letter sent to health organisations on Thursday that has been seen by The Daily Telegraph.
Until now, any man over the age of 50 without symptoms has been entitled to a prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test via their GP.
The new guidance has been criticised by Prostate Cancer Research as a "shocking betrayal and backward step that will condemn thousands more men each year to a late and incurable diagnosis".
Lord Cameron of Chipping Norton, the former prime minister, who was treated for prostate cancer after taking one of these tests, said it was a "backwards step". He told The Telegraph: "Screening is essential to catch cancers early when they can be more effectively and successfully treated. Only due to testing, my cancer was caught and treated in time.
"I urge the new prime minister and health secretary to be brave and bold — stop the complexity and confusion and introduce a more progressive and life-saving policy: a proper, targeted screening programme that involves all those at higher risk. Without it, more men will die and more families will lose a loved one. Heed the warnings — this is avoidable and can be done."
The health department said the present guidance was ambiguous and the intention had always been for the final decision to rest with the GP.
There has been a rise in demand for the PSA test following the prostate cancer diagnoses of high-profile figures including Cameron, Sir Chris Hoy, the Olympic cycling champion, and Jeremy Clarkson, the Sunday Times columnist.
The government recently decided to reject the option to carry out widespread prostate cancer screening, opting instead to introduce a programme for a small group of men who are at genetically high risk of developing the disease.
Now, a letter sent to health organisations from an unnamed official at the health department's secondary prevention directorate said: "If a patient is worried about prostate cancer, then they can ask their GP about having a PSA test. As the health professional, the GP will consider the patient's cancer risk to help with reaching a judgment on whether undertaking a PSA test is the right option for the patient, whilst clearly laying out to the patient the pros and cons associated with doing so."
The plans to reduce access to the PSA test have been criticised as a false economy that could condemn thousands of men to an incurable disease in an effort to reduce waiting lists.
A spokesman for the health department said the policy had not been changed as the final decision was always intended to lie with the GP. He said that the guidance had to be "retired" because it was ambiguous, adding: "Every man still has the right to ask their GP for a PSA test and it remains the case that the final decision rests with GPs."
Mod Note: Please be respectful of the No Politics rule in any responses.
Lets face it boys, when you are in your 70's you will be showing your ar5e to all and sundry
Quote from: sunburywhite on August 18, 2026, 07:00:41 PMLets face it boys, when you are in your 70's you will be showing your ar5e to all and sundry
Not just your arse Sunburywhite!
After being on a waiting list for 13 months I finally got a phone call inviting me in on the 15th September at Heatherwood Hospital, for an Aquablation treatment to try and shrink my enlarged prostate,
I'm not looking forward to it, but there you go what can I do,
If anybody has had the same treatment and you've got something positive to say then I'm all ears,
If you've only got negative things to say, then perhaps hold those thoughts until at least the 16th
Many thanks
Quote from: C Block on August 29, 2026, 07:23:28 AMAfter being on a waiting list for 13 months I finally got a phone call inviting me in on the 15th September at Heatherwood Hospital, for an Aquablation treatment to try and shrink my enlarged prostate,
I'm not looking forward to it, but there you go what can I do,
If anybody has had the same treatment and you've got something positive to say then I'm all ears,
If you've only got negative things to say, then perhaps hold those thoughts until at least the 16th
Many thanks
just to say good luck 🙏🏻 for positive results .
Aquablation therapy has exceptional clinical success rates, offering significant, long-lasting urinary relief that directly rivals traditional surgeries while maintaining a much higher safety profile. Good luck. ::thumb::
Stopping routine tests for prostrate cancer is a disgrace. Imagine the outcry if scans for breast cancer were halted.
Last week I celebrated surviving one year since I was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. ::wine::
On the minus side, my last scan showed the cancer was 'progressing', and I can now feel a lump in my stomach which I think is a tumour on my liver.
Katy and I are still researching alternative treatments and we have found one that looks promising. Cancerous cells feed off glucose and this treatment blocks the intake of sugar. I've lost a fair bit of weight since starting the treatment, so it seems to be working. I also found out why chemotherapy is so useless: it is well known that chemo kills off healthy cells as well as cancerous ones, but more important it doesn't kill off cancer stem cells, which is why so often cancer returns.
Still feeling good and staying positive. ::thumb::
Tony
Quote from: Gloucester White on August 29, 2026, 08:36:26 AMStopping routine tests for prostrate cancer is a disgrace. Imagine the outcry if scans for breast cancer were halted.
Last week I celebrated surviving one year since I was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. ::wine::
On the minus side, my last scan showed the cancer was 'progressing', and I can now feel a lump in my stomach which I think is a tumour on my liver.
Katy and I are still researching alternative treatments and we have found one that looks promising. Cancerous cells feed off glucose and this treatment blocks the intake of sugar. I've lost a fair bit of weight since starting the treatment, so it seems to be working. I also found out why chemotherapy is so useless: it is well known that chemo kills off healthy cells as well as cancerous ones, but more important it doesn't kill off cancer stem cells, which is why so often cancer returns.
Still feeling good and staying positive. ::thumb::
Tony
Thank you for this informative post. Glad to hear you are still feeling good and staying positive and wishing you all the very best.
Quote from: Fulham 442 on August 29, 2026, 10:15:10 AMQuote from: Gloucester White on August 29, 2026, 08:36:26 AMStopping routine tests for prostrate cancer is a disgrace. Imagine the outcry if scans for breast cancer were halted.
Last week I celebrated surviving one year since I was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. ::wine::
On the minus side, my last scan showed the cancer was 'progressing', and I can now feel a lump in my stomach which I think is a tumour on my liver.
Katy and I are still researching alternative treatments and we have found one that looks promising. Cancerous cells feed off glucose and this treatment blocks the intake of sugar. I've lost a fair bit of weight since starting the treatment, so it seems to be working. I also found out why chemotherapy is so useless: it is well known that chemo kills off healthy cells as well as cancerous ones, but more important it doesn't kill off cancer stem cells, which is why so often cancer returns.
Still feeling good and staying positive. ::thumb::
Tony
Thank you for this informative post. Glad to hear you are still feeling good and staying positive and wishing you all the very best.
yes me too wishing any of you with that dibilitating disease positive progress fighting it.
Quote from: Fulham 442 on August 29, 2026, 10:15:10 AMQuote from: Gloucester White on August 29, 2026, 08:36:26 AMStopping routine tests for prostrate cancer is a disgrace. Imagine the outcry if scans for breast cancer were halted.
Last week I celebrated surviving one year since I was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. ::wine::
On the minus side, my last scan showed the cancer was 'progressing', and I can now feel a lump in my stomach which I think is a tumour on my liver.
Katy and I are still researching alternative treatments and we have found one that looks promising. Cancerous cells feed off glucose and this treatment blocks the intake of sugar. I've lost a fair bit of weight since starting the treatment, so it seems to be working. I also found out why chemotherapy is so useless: it is well known that chemo kills off healthy cells as well as cancerous ones, but more important it doesn't kill off cancer stem cells, which is why so often cancer returns.
Still feeling good and staying positive. ::thumb::
Tony
Thank you for this informative post. Glad to hear you are still feeling good and staying positive and wishing you all the very best.
Thank you.
Just read some very interesting news. The treatment I have recently started is an odd one: it is used to treat animals for a different ailment, but scientists in 1976 found it cured many cancers in humans. The drug companies managed to hush it up, then in 2002 other scientists, not knowing of the 1976 tests made the same discovery. Doctors are not allowed to use the treatment as the FDA have not added it to the list of permitted drugs - the reason for their decision is no double blind trials have been conducted; but of course they haven't because such trials cost a fortune and who will pay for a trial? Not the drug companies who usually do this as they can't charge a fortune for later use.
BUT now the State of Florida is starting such a trial. Many hundreds of cancer patients successfully self-medicate with this for the cost of a cup of coffee each day, so if Florida come up with the same results, cancer treatment could be drastically changed. Unfortunately for me, pancreatic tumours are the hardest to treat as they have a fibrous coating, but my new treatment has resulted in remission for some and in others it has resulted in a reduction in the tumour size, which means I can live with it.
Good luck to you Tony, you have been fighting this for a long time and are still with us
You positive outlook and being a grumpy bastard (lol your words not mine) are helping you for sure
Lets hope for a meet up at Wembley this year
I've got a good feeling about this season GW so keep going.
If I'm wrong then it will be next season. So you know what you have to do ::wink::
Grumpy? Me?!! Thanks guys, doing my best to keep going. I've told my wife, sorry, but she will have to delay finding the toy boy!
All the very best, GW!
Your sense of humour and inner strength is keeping you going GW! As someone who has had (only) Stage Two cancer(I had a successful prostatectomy), I salute your courage and fortitude. All the very best for the future.
Quick update, I had my procedure on my prostate on September 15th at Heatherwood Hospital, all went well and they were excellent, but when I left Hospital I had a catheter fitted,
Two days later I had to go to Frimley Park Hospital to have it removed, and that's where all my problems started,
When they took it out I couldn't pee ,eventually I passed some blood clots,so they put the catheter back in and sent me home ,
I've got a pretty good pain threshold but that evening I've never known pain like it, we phoned 111 and eventually they instructed some paramedics to come to us, but before they could get to us I managed to pass a big clump of blood clots, and after that things started to work normally,
And all was well up to last Saturday when I started to feel really unwell and parts of my anatomy started to swell,
Anyway, yesterday I ended up in A&E via my GP and I've now been admitted into Frimley Park Hospital,
Just as I think I've hit rock bottom something else seems to turn up,
Sorry to have to offload all that but I'm feeling very sorry for myself and very low 😞
Quote from: C Block on September 29, 2026, 09:04:18 AMQuick update, I had my procedure on my prostate on September 15th at Heatherwood Hospital, all went well and they were excellent, but when I left Hospital I had a catheter fitted,
Two days later I had to go to Frimley Park Hospital to have it removed, and that's where all my problems started,
When they took it out I couldn't pee ,eventually I passed some blood clots,so they put the catheter back in and sent me home ,
I've got a pretty good pain threshold but that evening I've never known pain like it, we phoned 111 and eventually they instructed some paramedics to come to us, but before they could get to us I managed to pass a big clump of blood clots, and after that things started to work normally,
And all was well up to last Saturday when I started to feel really unwell and parts of my anatomy started to swell,
Anyway, yesterday I ended up in A&E via my GP and I've now been admitted into Frimley Park Hospital,
Just as I think I've hit rock bottom something else seems to turn up,
Sorry to have to offload all that but I'm feeling very sorry for myself and very low 😞
You offload as much as you want. I read something the other day. That said basically we don't understand how anybody feels, whether it's thoughts or pain. It's a guess wrapped in sympathy.
You're actually doing us all a favour by pushing us to get tested and keep an eye on things.
I hope you feel more comfortable with each day. You know where we are if not!
Quote from: C Block on September 29, 2026, 09:04:18 AMQuick update, I had my procedure on my prostate on September 15th at Heatherwood Hospital, all went well and they were excellent, but when I left Hospital I had a catheter fitted,
Two days later I had to go to Frimley Park Hospital to have it removed, and that's where all my problems started,
When they took it out I couldn't pee ,eventually I passed some blood clots,so they put the catheter back in and sent me home ,
I've got a pretty good pain threshold but that evening I've never known pain like it, we phoned 111 and eventually they instructed some paramedics to come to us, but before they could get to us I managed to pass a big clump of blood clots, and after that things started to work normally,
And all was well up to last Saturday when I started to feel really unwell and parts of my anatomy started to swell,
Anyway, yesterday I ended up in A&E via my GP and I've now been admitted into Frimley Park Hospital,
Just as I think I've hit rock bottom something else seems to turn up,
Sorry to have to offload all that but I'm feeling very sorry for myself and very low 😞
Really sorry to hear about your experience, and I hope that things improve for you quickly. At least you are in a hospital where they can take steps to deal with the problem. Hopefully you get people who understand prostates, bladders and the mysterious internal working of older men's systems. My experience of surgeons poking around internally is that it usually leads to bleeding and possible clots, and bleeding can happen (seemingly randomly) a couple of weeks later. One bit of advice is avoid permanent catheters if possible. I've been sent home from hospital with them twice and they are uncomfortable and restrictive. Much better to have a single use catheter which you insert yourself to enable you to pee......
Quote from: sunburywhite on June 03, 2025, 08:07:26 PMOk boys
Lets start with a few things
It is not "discussed" by men for various reasons, we need to look at it
I have been diagnosed with it but luckily enough it is only about 6 months old and I have had fantastic care from the NHS and an amazing surgeon who has explained everything so well so I will survive
Often there are no outward signs so when you find out it can be too late
Given that
1. It is a taboo subject - all of you get tested please. Its only a blood test, you dont get a finger up your ar5e. Its now 50+ years old people who are getting it
2. I am lucky that it has been caught early and will probably die from other thing than the cancer so again get tested so you can catch it early
3. 1 in 8 men get it and if caught early enough they all live long lives 10 years plus
Thanks for posting this. It's a subject none of us of a certain age want to face up to. Good to hear all ok.
It is sh!te getting old. I chew gavascon tablets like they are going out fashion, finger up the backside every year and the final nail in the coffin was when the pharmacist told me I didn't have to pay for my prescriptions because of my age.
All joking aside, there really does need to be more done for men's health not only physical but mental. It is amazing what has happened to breast cancer treatment but men seem to be overlooked in areas such as prostrate cancer which is so easy to monitor.
Wishing you all well who are going through any form of cancer or any other health issues for that matter at this moment in time.
No apologies ever needed C Block. Good luck mate. ::thumb::
Quote from: C Block on September 29, 2026, 09:04:18 AMQuick update, I had my procedure on my prostate on September 15th at Heatherwood Hospital, all went well and they were excellent, but when I left Hospital I had a catheter fitted,
Two days later I had to go to Frimley Park Hospital to have it removed, and that's where all my problems started,
When they took it out I couldn't pee ,eventually I passed some blood clots,so they put the catheter back in and sent me home ,
I've got a pretty good pain threshold but that evening I've never known pain like it, we phoned 111 and eventually they instructed some paramedics to come to us, but before they could get to us I managed to pass a big clump of blood clots, and after that things started to work normally,
And all was well up to last Saturday when I started to feel really unwell and parts of my anatomy started to swell,
Anyway, yesterday I ended up in A&E via my GP and I've now been admitted into Frimley Park Hospital,
Just as I think I've hit rock bottom something else seems to turn up,
Sorry to have to offload all that but I'm feeling very sorry for myself and very low 😞
My old man has been having similar cancer stuff done to the bladder and can echo what Ludlow said, the catheter was the route of all troubles and infections.
He was feeling low, then fell over on a dodgy bit of pavement, broke & dislocated his arm, broke ribs, collar bone and cut above the eye. To make it worse, the ambulance couldn't get there for 2 hours, so he walked to St Georges!
Try not to feel too sorry for yourself, there's always some sunshine around the corner!
Quote from: C Block on September 29, 2026, 09:04:18 AMQuick update, I had my procedure on my prostate on September 15th at Heatherwood Hospital, all went well and they were excellent, but when I left Hospital I had a catheter fitted,
Two days later I had to go to Frimley Park Hospital to have it removed, and that's where all my problems started,
When they took it out I couldn't pee ,eventually I passed some blood clots,so they put the catheter back in and sent me home ,
I've got a pretty good pain threshold but that evening I've never known pain like it, we phoned 111 and eventually they instructed some paramedics to come to us, but before they could get to us I managed to pass a big clump of blood clots, and after that things started to work normally,
And all was well up to last Saturday when I started to feel really unwell and parts of my anatomy started to swell,
Anyway, yesterday I ended up in A&E via my GP and I've now been admitted into Frimley Park Hospital,
Just as I think I've hit rock bottom something else seems to turn up,
Sorry to have to offload all that but I'm feeling very sorry for myself and very low 😞
Wow Block. You're having exactly same symptoms I had after my procedure (brachytherapy) some years ago. Don't worry, it gets better. Just give it time. Was catheterized with foley bag for a couple of months. Could not pee on my own. I did experience a time when testicles became very enlarged. Some meds settled down. Eventually learned how to self cath, which really was an improvement over the permanent cath. Needed to stay near home to be able to pee as needed, so worked from home during this time, maybe total of about 3-4 months before I was able to pee on my own. I was in sales, was lucky that my employer allowed me to work from home, and if I had made contacts that required personal visits, my sales manager went in my place. So all worked out. My reaction though to the procedure was unusual. Will get better for you Block I am sure, it's all about time. Peace on good man.....
I again need to speak out on something I've seen throughout this discussion. Several posters claim the digital rectal exam is not needed, just the yearly blood test. NOT CORRECT. Very important to get the yearly blood work up (PSA) AND the digital. There are cases where an abnormality of the prostate gland can be detected through this exam, even though ones' PSA numbers are 'good'. If your doc does not offer to do this or feels it's not necessary, request anyway. I know it's unpleasant, but it is part of giving yourself good mens health in this regard.
As has been said C Block absolutely no need to apologise.
Two things we push in our support process. 1. Take the small wins be it a good breakfast, a comfortable morning or avoiding any spillages. 2. Create an outlet for your thoughts, feelings and musings. Conversation can be difficult so write it all down. It doesn't have to be a rigid diary but pen and paper allows for flexibility , doodling and prevarication. A recent post treatment patient invented somebody to write to so he could include his wife and daughter as characters in his story and not the recipients as it were. I did something similar years ago and called it Circle the Wagon. Write a page, take the win.
The old digital exam is a great conversation starter. If the examiner is a lady the least you can do is ask for her middle name.
Good luck with it all. Vent away, it's quite a journey.
Quote from: C Block on September 29, 2026, 09:04:18 AMQuick update, I had my procedure on my prostate on September 15th at Heatherwood Hospital, all went well and they were excellent, but when I left Hospital I had a catheter fitted,
Two days later I had to go to Frimley Park Hospital to have it removed, and that's where all my problems started,
When they took it out I couldn't pee ,eventually I passed some blood clots,so they put the catheter back in and sent me home ,
I've got a pretty good pain threshold but that evening I've never known pain like it, we phoned 111 and eventually they instructed some paramedics to come to us, but before they could get to us I managed to pass a big clump of blood clots, and after that things started to work normally,
And all was well up to last Saturday when I started to feel really unwell and parts of my anatomy started to swell,
Anyway, yesterday I ended up in A&E via my GP and I've now been admitted into Frimley Park Hospital,
Just as I think I've hit rock bottom something else seems to turn up,
Sorry to have to offload all that but I'm feeling very sorry for myself and very low 😞
I can totally understand how dreadful and frustrated you must feel. Like there's no light at the end of a very long tunnel. Those of us on here can only offer on line sympathy which isn't much but it's genuine and heartfelt. Keep going and the light will eventually emerge.
Quote from: C Block on September 29, 2026, 09:04:18 AMQuick update, I had my procedure on my prostate on September 15th at Heatherwood Hospital, all went well and they were excellent, but when I left Hospital I had a catheter fitted,
Two days later I had to go to Frimley Park Hospital to have it removed, and that's where all my problems started,
When they took it out I couldn't pee ,eventually I passed some blood clots,so they put the catheter back in and sent me home ,
I've got a pretty good pain threshold but that evening I've never known pain like it, we phoned 111 and eventually they instructed some paramedics to come to us, but before they could get to us I managed to pass a big clump of blood clots, and after that things started to work normally,
And all was well up to last Saturday when I started to feel really unwell and parts of my anatomy started to swell,
Anyway, yesterday I ended up in A&E via my GP and I've now been admitted into Frimley Park Hospital,
Just as I think I've hit rock bottom something else seems to turn up,
Sorry to have to offload all that but I'm feeling very sorry for myself and very low 😞
Sorry to learn what you are going through C Block. It's important to try to keep positive. Keep telling yourself 'this will pass'. Hope you recover soon.
Ah lads, keep on keeping on - you are all doing brililantly. You really are.
And C-Block, crikey that sounds bloody awful. You whinge away and I hope you get clear soon.
All the very best to you C Block, hope things are starting to improve for you.
Thank you for sharing - takes some guts, but this can only help the rest of us here, to read of your experiences.
I got out yesterday, but I had a long standing appointment at 8.30am and was asked to keep it,
So one thing has led to another and I've been admitted back into Frimley until at least Saturday,
They've thought for a long time today that I've got Sepsis but thankfully that has just been discounted,
And in a Fulhamish way, the light at the end of my tunnel is the thought of my two tickets for Ipswich away, that's my aim now
COYSW
Quote from: C Block on September 29, 2026, 09:04:18 AMQuick update, I had my procedure on my prostate on September 15th at Heatherwood Hospital, all went well and they were excellent, but when I left Hospital I had a catheter fitted,
Two days later I had to go to Frimley Park Hospital to have it removed, and that's where all my problems started,
When they took it out I couldn't pee ,eventually I passed some blood clots,so they put the catheter back in and sent me home ,
I've got a pretty good pain threshold but that evening I've never known pain like it, we phoned 111 and eventually they instructed some paramedics to come to us, but before they could get to us I managed to pass a big clump of blood clots, and after that things started to work normally,
And all was well up to last Saturday when I started to feel really unwell and parts of my anatomy started to swell,
Anyway, yesterday I ended up in A&E via my GP and I've now been admitted into Frimley Park Hospital,
Just as I think I've hit rock bottom something else seems to turn up,
Sorry to have to offload all that but I'm feeling very sorry for myself and very low 😞
Hope it all gets sorted soon and you are back fighting fit.
Quote from: jayffc on June 03, 2025, 08:20:33 PMSadly you lost me at "you don't get a finger up your @rse" ...what fun is a blood test :slap:
In all seriousness though glad to hear you are doing ok and for sure will get a general health look over soon as a result of this message, as I've been putting it off
I had the finger test for the first time last year at St Helier Hospital in Sutton. I had a blood test too. A painful UTI prompted my GP to get the tests done.
I was given the all clear.
It is well worth getting the blood test given that prostrate cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in UK men and the second leading cause of cancer death in men (after lung cancer), causing around 12,000 deaths annually.
Quote from: Simunch on October 01, 2026, 07:55:28 PMQuote from: jayffc on June 03, 2025, 08:20:33 PMSadly you lost me at "you don't get a finger up your @rse" ...what fun is a blood test :slap:
In all seriousness though glad to hear you are doing ok and for sure will get a general health look over soon as a result of this message, as I've been putting it off
I had the finger test for the first time last year at St Helier Hospital in Sutton. I had a blood test too. A painful UTI prompted my GP to get the tests done.
I was given the all clear.
It is well worth getting the blood test given that prostrate cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in UK men and the second leading cause of cancer death in men (after lung cancer), causing around 12,000 deaths annually.
I have a blood test tomorrow, can't say I'm looking forward to it.
Quote from: C Block on October 01, 2026, 03:44:10 PMI got out yesterday, but I had a long standing appointment at 8.30am and was asked to keep it,
So one thing has led to another and I've been admitted back into Frimley until at least Saturday,
They've thought for a long time today that I've got Sepsis but thankfully that has just been discounted,
And in a Fulhamish way, the light at the end of my tunnel is the thought of my two tickets for Ipswich away, that's my aim now
COYSW
C Block
It's terrible that you've had such awful complications with your procedure. After my prostatectomy, I too had problems with the catheter for a month, which I found uncomfortable 24/7 and had blood clots, but once out, my body started to recover slowly. Grit your teeth best you can, get through it and you'll be back cheering the Whites at Ipswich, no bother!
Hi C Block
Sorry to hear about the problems, it will all pass soon and you will be fine
The catheter is a bit like the Hookey Cookey, they stick one in , they pull one out then give it all a shake about.
I musty have been lucky as I had about 6 stuck in and pulled out over the course of a few months. The only good thing was you got a good nights sleep. I dont know how some of you did the self insertion
This is becoming a bit of a nightmare now, I was violently sick yesterday, so they are sending me for an ultrasound today to see if they can find out what's going on
Ironically though I've woken up today feeling a bit more like myself for the first time in a while,
Maybe the vomiting has helped get some of the infection out of my system
Onwards and Upwards from this point on 👊🏻
Quote from: alfie on October 01, 2026, 08:13:42 PMQuote from: Simunch on October 01, 2026, 07:55:28 PMQuote from: jayffc on June 03, 2025, 08:20:33 PMSadly you lost me at "you don't get a finger up your @rse" ...what fun is a blood test :slap:
In all seriousness though glad to hear you are doing ok and for sure will get a general health look over soon as a result of this message, as I've been putting it off
I had the finger test for the first time last year at St Helier Hospital in Sutton. I had a blood test too. A painful UTI prompted my GP to get the tests done.
I was given the all clear.
It is well worth getting the blood test given that prostrate cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in UK men and the second leading cause of cancer death in men (after lung cancer), causing around 12,000 deaths annually.
I have a blood test tomorrow, can't say I'm looking forward to it.
I trust the blood test went well enough. My contribution to local NHS protocol is, hopefully anyway, the use of the term "sharp scratch" as the needle goes in following my response to "small *****" being "cold room" and uncontrollable giggling. Legend in my own mind!!!!!
Edit. Oh my goodness I didn't realise the asterisk was that sensitive. Small sounds like Rick.
This very important topic demonstrates how long many of our supporters have been regulars at CC.
Best wishes to everyone undergoing prostate cancer treatment and or examinations. Worrying times.
Personally I found the operation and the resulting indignities less onerous than I was expecting. I found the painful passing of blood following the biopsy scary especially when not warned of the likelihood of it.
Free, Free at last !
I managed to get home on Saturday, starting my recovery, even from Saturday to now I feel a bit better,
I've got to pop back at the end of the week for an examination, get through that and im on my way,
And thank you to everyone that has sent me a kind message, it really was very much appreciated
And good luck and best wishes to everyone else going through similar issues with their prostate, there really is light at the end of the tunnel, even though on someday's you might not believe it 👍🏻
COYSW
Please forgive my school boy humour but prostate exam and "light at the end of the tunnel" did make me chuckle!!
Great to hear things are going the right way C Block.
Best wishes to all those going through this nasty disease.