watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (18.03.11)

Started by White Noise, March 18, 2011, 01:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8388962/Fulham-manager-Mark-Hughes-plays-down-flattering-link-to-Bayern-Munich-managers-job.html

Fulham manager Mark Hughes plays down 'flattering' link to Bayern Munich manager's job

Mark Hughes has admitted that it was "flattering" to be linked with the post of head coach of Bayern Munich.

Content manager: Mark Hughes is happy at Fulham for now despite being linked to Bayern Munich manager's job Photo: PA

By Jason Burt 10:30PM GMT 17 Mar 2011

The Fulham manager said he had no intention of quitting Craven Cottage at present, although there is a break clause in his contract which would allow him to leave without compensation being paid.

Telegraph Sport revealed that Hughes, a former Bayern player, is on a three-strong shortlist to replace Louis van Gaal, who is leaving the German champions at the end of this season after a difficult campaign.

Bayern are also interested in Bayer Leverkusen coach Jupp Heynckes – who is regarded as the favourite in Germany – and the former national captain, Matthias Sammer.

It is understood that Bayern president Uli Hoeness has pushed for Hughes – who has also managed Blackburn, Wales and Manchester City – to be considered although there is some nervousness at employing the 47-year-old Welshman who would, despite his managerial ability, represent a greater risk.

"It's very flattering but I'm quite happy doing what I'm doing at the moment," Hughes said on Thursday when asked whether he would be interested in returning to the club he played for on loan from Barcelona in the late 1980s.

"Sometimes, when a job becomes vacant, people look around to see whether there are any connections in terms of past playing careers or whatever," he said.

Nevertheless Hughes admitted that he would like to manage overseas.

"If opportunities in the future present themselves, I think it would be part of my football education and something that I'd want to do," he said. "But I'm not looking to do it at the moment.

"I'm enjoying my work. I think it [Fulham] is a great club and we're going in the right direction. Certainly, if we can invest more in the players next year as well, then I think we can kick on."

Meanwhile, Hughes insisted that Fulham chairman Mohamed Fayed had earned the right to erect a statue of his friend, the legendary late singer Michael Jackson, at Craven Cottage.

"In fairness to the chairman, he's fully supported this club for a long time now, put in something like £200 million. And if he wants to make that gesture to somebody who he knew personally, then who am I to pass comment on it."

White Noise

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/football/news/article/-/9032450/etuhu-expected-to-be-right-for-fulhams-trip-to-everton/

Etuhu expected to be right for Fulham's trip to Everton

tribalfootball.com

March 18, 2011, 9:05 am

Fulham midfielder Dickson Etuhu is expected to be fit for Saturday's clash with Everton at Goodison Park.

The 28-year old slightly strained his hamstring in the last Premier League match against Blackburn Rovers on March 5 but has recovered in time for the trip to the Merseyside.

"Dickson trained today [Thursday] and we'll have to see how he is on Friday," Cottagers boss Mark Hughes told the club's official website.

"He may well be an option for us. He had a slight twinge on his hamstring last week so we'll see if he's okay."

White Noise

Mark Hughes targets new Fulham deal to fend off interest from Bayern Munich

By Sami Mokbel

Last updated at 10:31 PM on 17th March 2011

Mark Hughes has swung the door open for Fulham to offer him a new long-term contract after Sportsmail revealed he was on Bayern Munich's shortlist of candidates to replace outgoing manager Louis van Gaal, a role that now seems certain to go to Jupp Heynckes.

The former Manchester City chief's current contract at Craven Cottage expires at the end of next season.

'I have no influence on when talks could start about a new contract,' said Hughes. 'That would have to come from the club, not me. But I'd like those type of conversations if I'm perfectly honest.

Then and now: Hughes patrols the touchline at Craven Cottage (left) and appeals during his Bayern pomp

'If the club feel I'm doing a good a job and that's what they want to do then I'm open to it.' On the prospect of a return to Munich, Hughes added: 'The reports were flattering but I'm happy doing what I'm doing at the moment.

'It shows how fickle football is. It was only a couple of months ago I was being tipped for the sack and now I'm being linked with one of the biggest jobs in Europe.'

Dickson Etuhu returned to training yesterday after recovering from a hamstring strain but Steve Sidwell will miss Saturday's clash against Everton with a knee injury.

Meanwhile, Hughes will let Diomansy Kamara decide if he wants to move to Leicester, who are interested in signing the striker on loan.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1367351/Mark-Hughes-targets-new-Fulham-deal-fend-Bayern-Munich.html#ixzz1GuPo0yfT

White Noise

Sir Alex Ferguson's five-match ban will kick in with immediate effect after the Manchester United boss accepted his FA punishment.
United have confirmed to the FA that there would be no appeal and requested a quick start to the sanction.

That means Ferguson will sit in the stands for the Barclays Premier League clash with Bolton on Saturday, followed by the matches with West Ham, Fulham, Manchester City in the FA Cup and Everton. His first match back is due to be the league meeting with title rivals Arsenal at the Emirates on May 1.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1367290/Alex-Ferguson-accepts-match-ban.html#ixzz1GuQZ6oKe

White Noise

Fulham's Jacko statue is not Wacko! Hughes defends Al Fayed's controversial plans

By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 5:38 PM on 17th March 2011

Mark Hughes has insisted Fulham chairman Mohamed Al Fayed had earned the right to erect a statue of Michael Jackson at Craven Cottage.

Al Fayed, a close friend of the late performer, has caused controversy after announcing he had decided to place the tribute to Jackson outside the Cottagers' stadium.

The statue was commissioned following Jackson's death in June 2009 and was due to be erected at Harrods before Al Fayed sold the Knightsbridge store.

Was it a Thriller? Jackson visited Fulham with Al Fayed in 1999

The decision to relocate it to Craven Cottage is likely to divide opinion, with statues at football grounds generally reserved for club legends.

Jackson's links to Fulham are tenuous to say the least - he watched a game there as a guest of Al Fayed in 1999 - while the singer was also dogged by controversy during his lifetime.

But Cottagers boss Hughes refused to criticise Al Fayed, saying: 'In fairness to the chairman, he's fully supported this club for a long time now, put in something like £200million.

'And if he wants to make that gesture to somebody who he knew personally then who am I to pass comment on it.

That's not how you moonwalk, Mark! Fulham's boss (right) shows off his footwork

'What has to be judged are the reasons behind it. And the reasons are he was a close personal friend of the chairman of Fulham Football Club, and he obviously wants to mark that and make people understand the respect and affection that he had for the guy.'
Hughes, who revealed he was a fan of Jackson's music, acknowledged the move would be controversial.

'The fact that it's at the football club will maybe cause a debate,' he said. 'But, really, we shouldn't question our chairman's motives.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1367251/Fulhams-Michael-Jackson-statue-Wacko-insists-Mark-Hughes.html#ixzz1GuQvCzcM

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-again-be-without-sidwell-weekend-1513641

Fulham to again be without Sidwell this weekend

17.03.11 | Andrew Slevison

Steve Sidwell will miss Fulham's trip to Everton on Saturday because of a knee injury.

The former Aston Villa midfielder has not played since the February 20 FA Cup clash with Bolton and Mark Hughes has confirmed that he will not be right for the Goodison Park fixture with the Toffees.

"Injury wise, Steve Sidwell is not available for Saturday's game," Hughes said. "We expect Steve to be back in training next week but then he'll need a number of sessions to get back to a level, but he's a fit guy.

"We don't anticipate he's lost much fitness in the time he's been out so hopefully we'll get him back very, very quickly.

"He's [Sidwell] done very well since he's come here and it would be good to have him as an option again."

Hughes added that Sidwell's absence has not affected the squad too much due to the fact that Dickson Etuhu has remained fit but said it would be nice to have the pair together in the centre of the pitch.

"We were compensated because his injury coincided with Dickson coming back. His injury hasn't had too much impact, which it would have done if Dickson wasn't available. It would be good to get them both fit and well for the games we have left," he added.

White Noise

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/03/17/dickson-etuhu-hands-fulham-fitness-boost-82029-28352784/

Dickson Etuhu hands Fulham fitness boost

Mar 17 2011

By Paul Warburton

DICKSON Etuhu is due to return to training this morning to hand boss Mark Hughes a major fitness boost ahead of Saturday's trip to Everton.

The Fulham midfielder aggravated the hamstring injury which kept him out for a month earlier this year in the win against Blackburn a fortnight ago.

And the no-nonsense Nigerian reckons maybe two years of non-stop football has had something to do with it.

He said: "I've not had a summer for the last two years playing for Nigeria in the qualifiers or the World Cup itself, and we had the Europa League on top of everything else as well last season – not that I'm complaining."

Etuhu will join in sessions with his team-mates at Motspur Park today before the journey to Merseyside at the weekend.

White Noise

FAN FORM: FULHAM

Thursday 17 March 2011, 09:16

by Antonia De Feo @antoniadefeo

Welcome to the Fan Form! Everton take on Fulham on Saturday desperately needing to increase their Premier League points tally.   

With meetings between the clubs going back to 1925, Everton have never lost a home league game to the Cottagers.

So before Mark Hughes' side come to town, evertonfc.com caught up with Fulham fan James Andrew for a preview of Saturday's Premier League showdown.

I James Andrew confirm I am a fan of Fulham Football Club.

I have been supporting Fulham since I can remember! But started going regularly when I was about 11 in 1995 when we were in the old Division Three.

I am feeling strangely optimistic about this upcoming game between Everton and Fulham. I can't put my finger on why as the history books would suggest this game has a home win written all over it, but Fulham are playing quite well at the moment and the poor run at Goodison has to end sooner or later!

Our best performer this season has been Aaron Hughes. It has not really been a season where any individual has really stood out. But the partnership between Hughes and Brede Hangeland at the back has been key to us doing well in recent seasons. Hangeland is normally the one who gets singled out, but Hughes' contribution should not be underestimated. The ever-versatile Chris Baird deserves an honourable mention as well.

Aaron Hughes in action for Fulham

Our best result of the season so far has been the 2-0 home win over Stoke, not just the result but the performance that day was the best for a while. But a special mention has to go to the 4-0 win over Spurs in the FA Cup, it was just a shame we could not go on a longer Cup run.

Our form away from home has been better than results would suggest. So far we have only won once on the road this season, but we are a lot harder to beat compared to recent seasons and have picked up a lot of draws.

Our manager Mark Hughes is doing a decent job. Any manager coming in after Roy Hodgson was always going to have a difficult task, especially after the success of last season in the Europa League. Hughes had a tough start with injuries to key players such as Andy Johnson, Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele so he has done ok. I'm starting to warm to him more and more, especially when he keeps referring to Fulham as 'my team' in interviews.

Fulham's most important player is Bobby Zamora. He has been missed massively this season through injury, but he is back now and will hopefully provide a focal point for the rest of the team for the remainder of the season.

Bobby Zamora celebrates scoring for the Cottagers

Coming to Goodison Park will be very difficult because we have not won there in the League - ever! I remember being at Goodison about seven years ago for an FA Cup tie and Fulham were 1-0 up going into injury time when Francis Jeffers popped up to grab an equalizer – that is the closest I can remember us getting a result. Other than that I have normally seen us lose by two goals or more!

Everton's best player is Louis Saha because on his day and when fit he is one of the best strikers in this League. Having seen him first hand fire Fulham up into the Premier League 10 years ago I know how good he can be. He's the best striker I've seen in a Fulham shirt. Left foot, right foot or with his head he is lethal. Unfortunately for him and all the clubs he has played for his career has been blighted by injury problems.

A successful season for Fulham would be survival, first and foremost. This season was always going to have an 'After the Lord Mayor's Show' feel about it following the Europa League campaign last season, and so it has proved. So the key is staying up this year and trying to push on next season.

By the time May comes around I reckon we finish 12th and you will probably be a few of places above us in 9th.

White Noise

Fulham fans question plan for Michael Jackson statue at Craven Cottage

By Dan Hodges

Mar 17 2011

It has been more than a decade since a statue of Michael Jackson last overlooked the Thames – but thanks to Fulham FC chairman Mohamed Al Fayed, the king of pop is to become a permanent fixture.

The club has revealed that a statue of Jacko will be unveiled at Craven Cottage before the match against Blackpool on April 3, in tribute to the friendship Mr Al Fayed enjoyed with the late superstar.

The specially commissioned statue was originally mooted to be put up outside the Harrods store in Knightsbridge, but has been moved to the Fulham FC ground after the department store was put up for sale.

It comes 16 years after Jackson floated a gigantic statue of himself down the Thames to promote his album HIStory.

Announcing the erection of the statue next to the club's Riverside and Hammersmith stands, Mr Al Fayed said: "Michael Jackson was truly a legend, a term used too often in this modern world saturated in the hyperbole surrounding celebrity.

"He was my friend, a man with whom I shared many happy memories and who died a tragic and untimely death. He left behind a legacy of music so vast it takes one's breath away, from a precocious talent to an ingenuity and ground breaking modernity that shall never be repeated. It shall often be imitated, but it will never be replicated, Michael Jackson was, and shall always remain, one of a kind."

The chairman added that he hoped fans of the singer would visit craven Cottage 'from far and wide' and that Fulham fans 'will appreciate seeing the finest performer in the world, in and amongst them, the finest fans in the world.'

But the prospect of a Jacko statue drew anger from a number of Fulham supporters, with more than 60 people signing a petition on the club's website calling for the move to be abandoned within 24 hours of it being announced.

One writing as Colonel Bennett branded the statue 'cheap tat', adding: "No consultation with fans, no clue or complete contempt about this club's fine history."

Another said: "I keep hoping that this is a premature, and embarrassing, April fool's joke."

Others struck a more pragmatic tone.

One fan using the name Logicman said supporters would have to accept some of Mr Al Fayed's 'eccentricities' if the chairman is to continue giving the club his financial backing.

He said: "The place this statue appears is not as prominent as some people might believe, and if it was a straight choice between keeping the statue or losing Mohamed Al Fayed's backing, I know which side I would fall on, and when push comes to shove, and all the hue and cry has died down, I feel a lot of people will feel the same."

The statue is already thought to be in place and will be officially unveiled at 12pm on April 3.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-and-hammersmith-news/local-fulham-and-hammersmith-news/2011/03/17/fulham-fans-question-plan-for-michael-jackson-statue-at-craven-cottage-82029-28354186/#ixzz1GuimUfpe

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/03/game_on.php

Game On!

Posted by Phil Mison 15 hours, 59 minutes ago

Have we all been suffering withdrawal symptoms? Breathless as the Blackburn action was, I'm gagging to see the boys back in action this weekend. A decent result at Everton is long overdue

Unless you're lucky enough to be following a side still in contention for European or domestic cup honours, things have been pretty humdrum for the past ten days. I thought about blogging just for the sake of it, but scanning the press pages over the days for Fulham related stuff, nothing substantial commanded my attention. Oh, and I've also just had a month of visiting an ailing mother in hospital. She passed away Tuesday night. No sympathy notes necessary dear readers, she was 84, died peacefully in her sleep, and had a dignified end. Death is an inevitable part of life. Just remember to say all the things that matter while you can and treat time as a thief - live every day to the max.

So to Goodison. Will that unenviable record of defeats continue, or can we find inspiration for a second away win of the season? Whites fans travel with more optimism than recent years after our improved run of results since January. We have all our big players back in contention - bar Sidwell - while Everton are missing big names, Cahill, Arteta and Fellaini for starters. Nothing personal, 'cause he's my favourite Fulham players of the past 10 years, but I'm praying Saha does not start.

Last week Moyes boys could only scramble a point against distinctly average Birmingham. Everton remain light years away from turning into a top six side and finances there are tight. Yet they sit just above us in the table, and after a poor start to the season still came down to the Cottage at the end of September to play the better football in a game we deserved to lose. With the bottom half of the table so closely packed, Hughes knows we remain very much part of the relegation dog fight, being just 4 points better off than 18th placed West Ham. I feel Wigan now are doomed, and probably Wolves, though their spirit has yet to be broken, as they showed against Spurs. The team taking the third relegation place could come from any one of 7, including FFC. Bottom at Christmas, I can even see WHU finishing above us. It's been a crazy season. And one where, but for one limp display last month, we could well have got to Wembley...a big opportunity missed.

Hand on heart, I genuinely sense in the league we are going to be fine. Defensively we are the best equipped of all the sides in the bottom half. A win Saturday would indeed allow a mass collective sigh of relief in this difficult campaign. By Easter I predict we will be clear of danger, with a top ten final placing very much within grasp. Lose to Everton, pick up a red card for one of the back four and lose three key figures to injury in the next 10 days...well, there's a knee-trembling scenario to put us all on valium. Pray this doomsday prediction does NOT come to pass. But that's the unpredictability of football, and as I write this on the anniversary of our unforgettable win over Juventus, we all know following the Fulham does have a way of keeping you on the edge of your seat.

Following Fulham from next month will also allow you to be photographed next to a statue saluting the King of Pop. Yes, Michael Jackson somehow finds his way to a commemorative corner of the ground (usually populated by a large burger van) because, apparently he and the chairman had a 'special bond.' You couldn't make this stuff up. Today's press release from Mo's office tells us, "He was my friend, a man with whom I shared many happy memories and who died a tragic and untimely death".

Now I do know the bizarre crotch fondling popster did make one visit for a game back in 1999 as al Fayed's guest. Unkind cynics would have you believe this was nothing more than a publicity stunt two years after Mo took the club over...who am I to doubt that Michael perhaps then raided the club shop for replica kit, key fobs and teddy bears on leaving before establishing regular transatlantic calls from LA each Saturday to get an update from Maf on the team's progess. Do I think the Thriller album finds its way regularly onto Mo's hi-fi system at home, or that in more private moments our chairman is practising his moonwalk in front of the mirror? Er...no. But a Michael Jackson statue will be unveiled on the day of the Blackpool game. Will anyone be keeping a straight face? Let's hope the casting achieves the right level of pigmentation...or perhaps it will be designed to change with the seasons?

To another story that also requires elasticity of the imagination. Hughes to Bayern Munich? There's much speculative journalism on this topic today I note. When have Bundesliga clubs ever courted English managers? Why would they when their own are genetically stamped to coach the best footballers in Europe? One journo describes Mark as heading the short list after 'steadying the ship' at Fulham. Some might say it only started rocking once he turned up. Disregarding the unfortunate injuries early season to Zamora and Dembele, the Steve Sidwell deal was all but sealed by Woy before he left. Mark only had to rubber stamp it. He chose not to. We've all witnessed the upsurge of energy from midfield in the short time Steve's been with us, and we all saw the mediocrity served up by our old and slow midfielders in the dark days up to Christmas. The replacement front men were given nothing to feed off - a situation entirely avoidable.

Bayern need a big figure to regain their dominance of German football, winning European Cups is a further stretch entirely. And Mark is the man for that? Apparently Mark 'forged a close relationship with Bayern president Uli Hoeness during his stint there as a player in 87-88.' Really? In just one season? I worked in Germany for ten years...no German becomes your bosom buddy inside 12 months. Trust me.

Enough of this twaddle. The blogger is back, it's just that the world seems rather more crazy at the moment. I wonder if it's all related to the massive increase in solar flare activity last January?

Back with all the Fulham news later in the week as we return to reality. COYW!

Twitter@fulhamphil

White Noise

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/fulham/67199/fulham-to-plonk-michael-jackson-statue-outside-craven-cottage.html

Fulham To Plonk Michael Jackson Statue Outside Craven Cottage

By Chris Wright

Image: Artist's representation

Fulham owner Mohamed Al Fayed has announced that he plans to unveil a statue of his close friend Michael Jackson at Craven Cottage, after missing out on the chance to erect it outside Harrods (as he originally planned) due to the sale of the Knightsbridge store.

The Jacko memorial is to be situated alongside the existing statue of Fulham legend Johnny Haynes next to the Riverside and Hammersmith Stands at the Cottage, though no further details have been released – other than that the unveiling ceremony has reportedly been pencilled in for April 3rd, before Fulham's game with Blackpool.

Said Al Fayed:

"Michael Jackson was truly a legend, a term used too often in this modern world saturated in the hyperbole surrounding celebrity.

"He was my friend, a man with whom I shared many happy memories and who died a tragic and untimely death. He left behind a legacy of music so vast it takes one's breath away; from a precocious talent to an ingenuity and ground breaking modernity that shall never be repeated.

"It shall often be imitated, but it will never be replicated, Michael Jackson was, and shall always remain, one of a kind.

"I hope that many fans of his will visit the statue at the Cottage from far and wide, and that Fulham fans will appreciate seeing the finest performer in the world, in and amongst them, the finest fans in the world."

How utterly ridiculous, and how presumptuous of Al Fayed to think that the Fulham fans would want to share in such a vain folly.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy expensive public tributes to deceased multi-millionaire wackjobs as much as the next man, but there is a lengthy list of vastly more worthy Fulham alumni (George Best, Sir Bobby, even Roy Hodgson) that should be comfortably in front of Jackson in the queue for a statue at Craven Cottage.

For posterity's sake, here's a clip of 'No. 1 Fulham fan' Jacko waving a scarf around his partially-melted head at the Cottage back in 1999...

michael jackson @ craven cottage 1999

White Noise

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/03/17/mark-hughes-confirms-leicester-city-s-interest-in-diomansy-kamara-82029-28355251/

Mark Hughes confirms Leicester City's interest in Diomansy Kamara

By Jacob Murtagh

Mar 17 2011

FULHAM boss Mark Hughes is willing to let Diomansy Kamara join Leicester City on loan.

The Foxes have been linked with a move for the Senegalese striker, who is out of contract at the end of the season.

Kamara is way down the pecking order at Craven Cottage after the return to fitness of Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele, and the January arrivals of Eidur Gudjohnsen and Gael Kakuta.

The former West Brom frontman has failed to even make the bench in recent weeks, and Hughes has given him the green light to move to the Walkers stadium.

He said: "There is interest but it hasn't come to a conclusion. He has to have a discussion with his advisers.

"It's an opportunity for him because he is not in my first 18 at the moment."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/03/17/mark-hughes-confirms-leicester-city-s-interest-in-diomansy-kamara-82029-28355251/#ixzz1GumHKzUp

White Noise

Fulham's losses won't affect Sparky's transfer plans

By Jacob Murtagh

Mar 17 2011

MARK Hughes insists Fulham's £16.9million loss for the past financial year will have no impact on his transfer plans for next season.

Figures announced this week showed that wages and new contracts meant the club's losses had increased by £10m on the previous year, despite raking in £12.5m for their run to the Europa League final.

Chairman Mohammed Al-Fayed reaffirmed his commitment to the club this week, and boss Hughes doesn't expect the latest figures to stop him strengthening the squad in the summer.

"The losses weren't unexpected," he said. "They will have no impact on what I want to do in the summer."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/03/17/fulham-s-losses-won-t-affect-sparky-s-transfer-plans-64767-28355422/#ixzz1GumrsDOG

White Noise

Everton v Fulham

By Jacob Murtagh

Mar 17 2011

BOBBY Zamora will have to settle for a place on the bench for Saturday's trip to Goodison Park.

The England striker was a super-sub in the last-gasp win against Blackburn Rovers a fortnight ago, but isn't ready to play 90 minutes yet according to boss Mark Hughes.

Dickson Etuhu returned to training today and should be available after shaking off a hamstring problem, but Steve Sidwell (knee) is still out.

Philippe Senderos is set to return to full training next week after suffering stiffness in his hamstring.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/03/17/everton-v-fulham-64767-28355492/#ixzz1GunAqtxy

White Noise

Strength in Numbers

Thursday 17th March 2011

Fulham return to competitive action this weekend with a trip to Everton, and with the Whites boasting a number of attacking options, Simon Davies is looking ahead to the encounter at Goodison Park.

"The squad's looking really healthy," Davies told fulhamfc.com. "I looked at the squad board today and every one of them are top players. It's good for the Manager to have selection headaches and hopefully we'll be able to keep everyone fit and really have a strong finish to the season.

"It's a strong squad and the Team's been doing really well – so you sometimes find yourself not being involved as much. But at the end of the day, we're all rooting for the same thing so you've got to stay positive and keep the spirit in the dressing room strong."

The Whites moved up the table to 11th following a well-earned victory over Blackburn at Craven Cottage a fortnight ago and go into Saturday's game in the knowledge that a victory over the Toffees will put them above Everton in the table.

"It's going to be a tough game," Davies explained. "It's a tough place to go and if one of us gets the win it's going to push us one step closer to being safe. The incentive is the same for both sides. We've been involved with every game so far this season; we've only really had one bad defeat against Manchester City at home so hopefully we can give it a go.

"We had a few days off after the Blackburn game but training's been good this week and everyone's looking forward to Saturday now.

"There hasn't been any let up in the intensity of our training, we definitely get the work in. It's important that the manager gives the lads two or three days to rest and recuperate – you have to take those chances when you get them."

And with Bobby Zamora finding his goal scoring touch against Blackburn, Davies acknowledges that last season's top scorer is getting back to his best at just the right time.

"I think it's a confidence thing once you've had an injury like that, so Bobby says. He's looking stronger every day, his movement's getting better so he'll be looking to play a part come the weekend."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/DaviesEvertonPreview.aspx#ixzz1GunPHUS4

White Noise

Team News

Thursday 17th March 2011

Fulham manager Mark Hughes is hoping Dickson Etuhu will be fit for Saturday's trip to Goodison Park to face Everton after the midfielder returned to training on Thursday. 

With Steve Sidwell unavailable Hughes will be hoping Etuhu will be fit to partner captain Danny Murphy in central midfield.

"Injury wise, Steve Sidwell is not available for Saturday's game," said Hughes during Thursday's pre-match press conference. "We expect Steve to be back in training next week but then he'll need a number of sessions to get back to a level, but he's a fit guy. We don't anticipate he's lost much fitness in the time he's been out so hopefully we'll get him back very, very quickly.

"He's [Sidwell] done very well since he's come here and it would be good to have him as an option again. We were compensated because his injury coincided with Dickson coming back. His injury hasn't had too much impact, which it would have done if Dickson wasn't available. It would be good to get them both fit and well for the games we have left.

"Dickson trained today [Thursday] and we'll have to see how he is on Friday. He may well be an option for us. He had a slight twinge on his hamstring last week so we'll see if he's okay. Other than that we're okay."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/EvertonTeamNews.aspx#ixzz1Gundj5TQ

White Noise

Dalla Valle Loan Extended

Thursday 17th March 2011

Following an impressive start to his time at AFC Bournemouth, Lauri Dalla Valle's loan spell has been extended until the end of the 2010/11 Football League season.

The young Fulham striker has made an immediate impact for the Cherries, netting goals against Oldham and Southampton.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/DallaValleLoanExtended.aspx#ixzz1GunpJ2m2

White Noise

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/everton-captain-back-in-action

Everton captain back in action

By GMF Editor  March 17, 2011

Everton have received a much needed boost to their midfield with the possible return of Phil Neville for the weekend match up with Fulham.

The Liverpool Daily Post are reporting that David Moyes will be looking to make Neville available after adequately recovering from a hamstring strain suffered at St James' Park against Newcastle.

Currently sitting mid table, but only six points from the relegation zone, the Toffees face Fulham in a match which will determine how difficult it is for the club to stay in the Premiership flight.

If Everton were to be relegated, it would be only the third time in history for the club. Everton are currently the second side behind Arsenal to spend the most time in the top flight.

But Everton have more statistics on their side going into the weekend than a small amount of relegations. They also have a 100 percent winning record against Fulham at home, and that coupled with Neville's return, leaves Everton midfielder Tony Hibbert with the belief that the Toffees can take away three points this weekend.

"It should be a good game," Hibbert said.

"It probably does help a bit when you know you have a good record against a team."

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/03/chairman-mo-announces-new-statue/

Chairman Mo Announces New Statue

by gatesy on March 17, 2011

Yesterday the club announced that prior to out home match against Blackpool on Sunday April 3rd, Chairman Mo would be unveiling a statue to his mate Michael Jackson. But why? And who is he? Let me take you by the hand and explain all:

Seen in the media, and on some Fulham internet forums, as strange, amusing or even a bonkers idea, the statue will feature the big man in one of his most iconic poses and will stand looking out over Old Father Thames between the Hammersmith and Riverside stands.

Jackson was born in the town of Runcorn in 1973. And twenty years later he made his first senior appearance for Crewe Alexandra. Going on to make 560 appearances for his six league clubs as well as a handful of games for hometown club Runcorn. Retiring in January 2010 owing to serious knee problems he is now a coach at  the club he finished his playing career with, Shrewsbury Town and is a hot tip to step up into the managers seat there in the near future.

When you think about all of the legends that have graced the turf at Craven Cottage over its history it seems an odd choice to erect a statue of a player who never actually played for Fulham. Speculation that the club are considering striking a statue for either Paul Benson or Junior Agogo have yet to be confirmed.

**CORRECTION**

It has been brought to my attention that the statue will actually represent the American Singer/Songwriter/fruitcake Michael 'King of Pop' Jackson and not the retired northern footballer. If you think about it, that kinda makes more sense.

Apologies for any confusion, gang.