News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What would be a Realistic Plan for the Rest of the Season?

Started by ..FOF.., September 27, 2014, 02:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

..FOF..

I am thinking;

1) Going for mid-table, at least the 12th position, by Christmas

2) Strengthen the team in the following transfer windows

3) Going for 3rd position by the end of the season. At worst, 6th position.

Any improvement to the plan to suggest?  :group hug:

ChesterTheTabby

Mid-table by Xmas: 12th-10th.

6th-5th by end of the season.

Add some depth in January in areas that are lacking.

HOWEVER - ALL OF THESE ARE SUBSEQUENT TO TWO OTHER PARAMETERS

1) Find and employ a proper manager for the future.

2) Survive in the Championship.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

RaySmith

Number one priority at the moment is to ensure we are safe from relegation, I think.

..FOF..

Yes, I agree. Priority is being safe from relegation.

I stated 12 position as target to be somewhat a comfortable place to be away from the relegation zone.

Shooting for the star, there. Falling short, maybe 15th. The worse Kit could do without getting pushed back to coaching youth is probably 18th.

MJG

I find it quite difficult to see how we can make sixth spot by the end of the season. Form wise we would need to play like the 3rd best team over the next 38 games.

My target is get clear of bottom three and be 13/14th by Jan. Strengthen team in Jan and push on for a good finish to the season.
Then take that momentum into the start of 15/16 season. I thinks that's the only realistic option.... Unless we go on a 8-10 game winning streak soon.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 27, 2014, 06:36:42 AM
I have no cause for concern regarding relegation, we should be nowhere near the bottom come Christmas, the challenge is, and the Transfer Window in January May or may not be necessary, either way, and yes whoever is Manager will influence the way the season will go, I would like to feel that we can give a real go, and make the target, at least 6th place. As we are currently 14 points behind 6th spot, it's not beyond the impossibility. Plus a decent Cup run as a bonus, who knows how it will pan out. As for Kit, I hope he gets the job. However. If he did not. There will be a profusion of qualified and experienced Managers in English Football, would run over hot coals to be given the chance of managing a Unique and Oldest London Club, located by the Thames, with potential, Academy flourishing, and International players in the squad, excellent training facilities, and on the bottom of the table, so no hard act to follow, and only one way to go, and that is upwards, we could be spoilt for choice. The one concern is that the club picks the right man for the job. 

I think you are under estimating the rest of the sides in the Championship, from
what Ive seen of us and the other sides on the Football League show we are
in serious trouble.
Our defence has carried on from last season as being the worst in their
division by a mile.
Survival is the only hope for this season, to contemplate getting to the
Play Offs or even 3rd place is ludicrous.
There are some really good sides in this league far better than us at the moment.
Kit or whoever takes over has a mighty task on their hands to keep us up, remember
what happened with Wolves.
I will settle for safety this season after all the turmoil Felix has put us through.

ffc73

Quote from: MJG on September 27, 2014, 07:05:16 AM
I find it quite difficult to see how we can make sixth spot by the end of the season. Form wise we would need to play like the 3rd best team over the next 38 games.

My target is get clear of bottom three and be 13/14th by Jan. Strengthen team in Jan and push on for a good finish to the season.
Then take that momentum into the start of 15/16 season. I thinks that's the only realistic option.... Unless we go on a 8-10 game winning streak soon.

I agree with this.  As of right now. Plan has to be. Avoid relegation. 

..FOF..

Ah, ok, I didn't foresee some of us are also aiming for Fulham to just survive in the Championship :)

Well, as long as Fulham is mathematically possible for a 6th position or better, then that is my suggested plan.

As MJG said, 8-10 games winning streak... anything can happen.

The season is still long and a few top teams now could also get a few losing streaks. Lack of depth or lethargy could be a factor.

the nutflush

Quote from: ..FOF.. on September 27, 2014, 02:33:37 AM
I am thinking;

1) Going for mid-table, at least the 12th position, by Christmas

2) Strengthen the team in the following transfer windows

3) Going for 3rd position by the end of the season. At worst, 6th position.

Any improvement to the plan to suggest?  :group hug:

You are deluded if you think we could lose seven of our first eight games and still aim for top three.  I say we need to concentrate on avoiding the bottom three.  We need a minor miracle just to do that.

JIMMY D

ron

Seems simplistic, but surely the only plan should be "Start Winning", followed by "Keep Winning".

All these carefully considered waypoints are over-elaborating that one simple truth.

Going on the way we are means certain relegation.

filham

Quote from: JIMMY D on September 27, 2014, 10:01:30 AM
1st thing first. Win a bloody game!

1st things first. Start scoring some goals. Our strike rate, particularly at the Cottage, is dismal and is a distinct relegation warning.

MJG

I wrote about points required back in August here it is to give you an idea on what's required at both ends of the league

Points Required

Over the last 13 years the number of points required to stay up is 49.7. Its been as low as 44(last season) and as high as 55 (2012-13). The trend has been downwards. The last 5 years you have needed 48.8pts to stay up. The previous 5 was 50.6.

Now that's the only stat you're going to see in relation to relegation as I do not see us being involved in that end of the table.

But that trend is interesting because if we look at the points required to be 6th the last playoff place its 73 over last 13 years. Last 5 its 72, previous 5 was 73.4.  So is there a trend for less points required in this league?

Well no not really. To finish 2nd and get promoted automatically you have needed 86.69 (again over last 13 years). Last 5 is 87 and previous 5 is 85. From that you need more points to get in that top 2 now than ever before.

The gap between the top 2 and 6th is getting wider. Average over 13 years of 13.69. Last 5 have been 15 pts and two of those season the gap was 21 points. Previous 5 years was 11.6

What about being champions? Last 13 you required on average 94, last 5 has been 93.6 previous 5 91.8.Two teams in last 5 years have reached 102 points. But also 87 won you the league in 2012-13.

Lots of numbers, but it tells me there is a gap forming, not ver big a couple of points, between the top two and 6th place.  Parachute payments making a difference?

Conclusion & target:

Playoff place we require 73. Only 3 times in last 13 years has that failed to find a play off place. 76 needed to absolutely make sure.

For an automatic place we need to be looking at the mid to high 80's. 87 will get you the second place for sure.

Champions are a 90 plus shot I would say. If we have that it will be a very good team needed to be above us.

Twig

We will not be in the play-offs so survival is all that maters.

..FOF..

So most of the fans think that we will fight the relegation battle till the end.

Haha, yeah... I might need to see a shrink for thinking we can still go for the top 6.

That's just me, an optimist :)

I wonder if Kit or Khan have said anything about our goals after the firing of Felix?

nose

i will settle for looking lik winning a game a some point before the end of 2014 that is in the league.

more david and roberts less ruiz and hugo might help.

mangoputney

Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

domprague

You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

F.luke

I think most of you are in dream land massive problem just to stay. 1 point  !!!!!

Skatzoffc

Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !