watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (14.01.11)

Started by White Noise, January 13, 2011, 09:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/01/13/steve-sidwell-took-pay-cut-to-join-fulham-82029-27982877/

Steve Sidwell took pay cut to join Fulham

Jan 13 2011

By Paul Warburton

Steve Sidwell

STEVE Sidwell made it plain he would rather join Fulham than pick up a fat wage packet sitting in the stands at Aston Villa.

The former Chelsea midfielder has been reduced to slim pickings from almost the moment he left Reading in 2007 for Stamford Bridge – and despite a £5million move to Villa 15 games and no goals later – fared not much better in the Midlands.

However, his new boss at Craven Cottage applauded the professionalism that saw Sidwell put his career before a pay packet this week.

Mark Hughes said: "Steve could have stayed at Villa and picked up his money. But he was willing to leave clubs in order to play.

"He's still a young man and there's a lot he wants to do – and I think Fulham is the right vehicle for him.

"We have a lot of technical and powerful players here already. But Steve's a box-to-box player and offers a different skill set."

It was also clear from the ire spat out by Wolves manager Mick McCarthy last night that a move back home to London was also a lure for a player he thought he had until Fulham stepped in.

McCarthy added: "I just can't move Wolverhampton any closer to London. There's nothing I can do about that. We can't do anything about the geography. Good luck to him."

White Noise

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/852637-robbie-keane-offered-fulham-transfer-lifeline-as-santa-cruz-picks-rovers

Robbie Keane 'offered Fulham lifeline' as Roque Santa Cruz picks Blackburn

Fulham manager Mark Hughes looks set to miss out on Manchester City striker Roque Santa Cruz, who has opted to return to Blackburn, so has turned his attentions to another out-of-favour forward - Spurs' Robbie Keane.

Robbie Keane has found himself out of the first-team picture at Spurs (AFP)

Paraguayan international Santa Cruz had been linked with the west Londoners earlier in the transfer window, but Roberto Mancini has now confirmed he expects the out-of-sorts striker to return to his former haunt of Ewood Park.

Hughes, who was in charge at City when they bought Santa Cruz from Rovers, has been desperate to bring in a striker to turn around his team's poor goalscoring form this season.

And now looks set to turn to Republic of Ireland captain Keane - even though he is also wanted by Birmingham City and Aston Villa.

Fulham believe they could still be well placed to beat off the competition though, as Keane would prefer to stay in London.

Spurs do not want to send him back out on loan, which may rule fellow potential suitors West Ham out of the equation, but White Hart Lane bosses could delay developments so Keane can't face them in the FA Cup clash with the Cottagers later this month.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/852637-robbie-keane-offered-fulham-transfer-lifeline-as-santa-cruz-picks-rovers#ixzz1AxE6GnuH

White Noise

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/01/13/wigan-v-fulham-82029-27982770/

Wigan v Fulham

Jan 13 2011

By Paul Warburton

Mousa Dembele

MARK Hughes is only too aware the weekend's clash at Wigan is destined to be last on Match of the Day – but at least the Fulham manager has a pair of strikers ready to throw a spanner in the TV schedule.

Sparky's choices have been limited for more than a month – but he was relieved to finally give a clean bill of health to both Andy Johnson (calf) and Mousa Dembele (ankle) for the trip to the DW Stadium.

Together with hat-trick hero Diomansy Kamara from last week's FA Cup demolition of Peterborough – the manager has relative riches galore at his command.

He said: "We're in better shape than we were.

"We go into the game with three wins out of the last four, and apart from Manchester City, we've conceded least goals away in the Premiership.

"It's likely we will be last on TV – and a lot of recent draws haven't helped. But we were the only team to score six last weekend, as well as the only team with someone who scored a hat-trick – and we didn't get too much recognition of that."

Long-term injuries to Bobby Zamora and Philippe Senderos rule them out – and Sparky admitted new signing Steve Sidwell from Aston Villa won't feature against the Latics.

The manager said: "He's only just arrived – and we need to integrate him with the rest of the group first."

White Noise

Fulham boss straight-bats Wright-Phillips speculation

Published 16:50 13/01/11

By MirrorFootball

Mark Hughes today refused to deny he was trying to bring Shaun Wright-Phillips to Fulham but did write off any move for his Manchester City team-mate Emmanuel Adebayor.

Hughes has been linked with both of his former players, who have found themselves all but frozen out at Eastlands this season.

City boss Roberto Mancini confirmed this morning he expects Wright-Phillips to leave this month.

One of Hughes' first acts as Mancini's predecessor two-and-a-half years ago was to bring the England winger back to the north-west from Chelsea.

And it appears he is now trying to convince the 29-year-old to return to west London.

"He's a player I've worked with, a player I know," Hughes said. "There's a number of players out there that there's speculation about that I've worked with before.

"It's unfair for me to comment on specific situations or specific players."

Asked if Fulham had contacted City about Wright-Phillips, Hughes added: "I think those conversations happen all the time in terms of what's available and who you're releasing.

"Those conversations have been had not only with Man City but almost every club in the Premier League.

"Certainly, we've enquired at a number of clubs in terms of what they're likely to be allowing out."

As much as Hughes would like to sign Adebayor, who he also brought to City, it appears the former Arsenal striker is well out of Fulham's price range.

"Manu is a guy who I like as a person," Hughes said.

"As a player, he did well for me. He had problems when he went out of the team but he's a good guy.

"Any team that had a player of the quality of Adebayor would be strengthened.

"But that doesn't mean that we're in a position to bring him here, I have to say."

Money - both in terms of of transfer fee and wages - could ultimately scupper a move for Wright-Phillips, who turned down a new contract at City last year.

Hughes admitted any player coming to Fulham would need to be more concerned about his career than his pay packet.

"I think what we have to offer is a good club, a club that wants to go to the next level, a very good management team and an opportunity to progress their careers if they've stalled," he said.

"People in the game know what I and my team can offer, and the club itself is very well run. I'm making a good sales pitch here, but why not?

"People assume that if you give players enough money, they'll come anywhere, but that's not normally the case."

As well as trying to bring players to Craven Cottage, Hughes is also keen to prevent them jumping ship.

Several of his squad are out of contract at the end of the season and while some may be allowed to leave, one man the Fulham boss is desperate to keep is captain Danny Murphy.

Talks over a new deal are progressing well, according to Hughes, who said: "We're very, very hopeful that that will be concluded very quickly."

Fulham look set for a twin boost ahead of Saturday's crunch Premier League trip to Wigan, with strikers Moussa Dembele and Andy Johnson both back from injury.

Long-term casualty Philippe Senderos has also begun light training with a view to returning next month.

Meanwhile, Fulham today confirmed Swedish defender Fredrik Stoor has joined Norwegian club Valerenga.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Mark-Hughes-has-refused-to-deny-hes-trying-to-bring-Shaun-Wright-Phillips-to-Fulham-but-did-write-off-any-move-for-his-Manchester-City-team-mate-Emmanuel-Adebayor-article671961.html#ixzz1AxFm4GZY

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/01/13/2304197/fulham-boss-mark-hughes-quiet-on-shaun-wright-phillips

Fulham boss Mark Hughes quiet on Shaun Wright-Phillips speculation, but Emmanuel Adebayor not on radar

Welshman rules out move for striker

By Kevin Emery

13 Jan 2011 19:05:00

Fulham manager Mark Hughes has refused to deny he is trying to bring Manchester City winger Shaun Wright-Phillips to Craven Cottage.

But Hughes did rule out a move for his the player's team-mate Emmanuel Adebayor.

Hughes has been linked with both of his former players, who have found themselves frozen out at Eastlands this season.

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini has confirmed he expects Wright-Phillips to leave this month, but he is waiting on injury results for striker Mario Balotelli before he decides Adebayor's future.

Hughes said of Wright-Phillips: "He's a player I've worked with, a player I know.

"There's a number of players out there that there's speculation about that I've worked with before.

"It's unfair for me to comment on specific situations or specific players."

Asked if Fulham had contacted City about Wright-Phillips, he added: "I think those conversations happen all the time in terms of what's available and who you're releasing.

"Those conversations have been had not only with Man City but almost every club in the Premier League.

"Certainly, we've enquired at a number of clubs in terms of what they're likely to be allowing out."

With regards to Togo striker Adebayor, who Hughes signed for Manchester City from Arsenal, he said that a move is likely to be well out of Fulham's price range.

He said: "Manu is a guy who I like as a person.

"As a player, he did well for me. He had problems when he went out of the team but he's a good guy.

"Any team that had a player of the quality of Adebayor would be strengthened.

"But that doesn't mean that we're in a position to bring him here, I have to say."

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6661514,00.html

Stoor departs Fulham

Defender joins Valerenga

Last updated: 13th January 2011   

Stoor: Valerenga switch

Fredrik Stoor has brought a frustrating two-and-a-half-year spell with Fulham to an end by joining Norwegian club Valerenga.

The Swedish right-back arrived at Craven Cottage in 2008 with high hopes of making his mark in the Premier League.

However, his route to the first team was blocked by the good form of John Pantsil and he was only given limited opportunities to impress.

Stoor spent time on loan at Derby last season but has made no secret of his desire to leave Fulham on a permanent basis.

The 26-year-old's transfer request was finally granted before the start of the current window and he has now sealed a move to Valerenga.

Stoor will hope to play far more regularly for his new club and perhaps resurrect his international career, having been part of the Sweden squad at Euro 2008.

Tom

Quote from: White Noise on January 13, 2011, 09:45:08 PM

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/01/13/steve-sidwell-took-pay-cut-to-join-fulham-82029-27982877/

Steve Sidwell took pay cut to join Fulham

Jan 13 2011

By Paul Warburton

Steve Sidwell

STEVE Sidwell made it plain he would rather join Fulham than pick up a fat wage packet sitting in the stands at Aston Villa.

The former Chelsea midfielder has been reduced to slim pickings from almost the moment he left Reading in 2007 for Stamford Bridge – and despite a £5million move to Villa 15 games and no goals later – fared not much better in the Midlands.

However, his new boss at Craven Cottage applauded the professionalism that saw Sidwell put his career before a pay packet this week.

Mark Hughes said: "Steve could have stayed at Villa and picked up his money. But he was willing to leave clubs in order to play.

"He's still a young man and there's a lot he wants to do – and I think Fulham is the right vehicle for him.

"We have a lot of technical and powerful players here already. But Steve's a box-to-box player and offers a different skill set."

It was also clear from the ire spat out by Wolves manager Mick McCarthy last night that a move back home to London was also a lure for a player he thought he had until Fulham stepped in.

McCarthy added: "I just can't move Wolverhampton any closer to London. There's nothing I can do about that. We can't do anything about the geography. Good luck to him."
Good man!  :54:
Fulham for life!

Tom

Quote from: White Noise on January 13, 2011, 09:55:31 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6661514,00.html

Stoor departs Fulham

Defender joins Valerenga

Last updated: 13th January 2011   

Stoor: Valerenga switch

Fredrik Stoor has brought a frustrating two-and-a-half-year spell with Fulham to an end by joining Norwegian club Valerenga.

The Swedish right-back arrived at Craven Cottage in 2008 with high hopes of making his mark in the Premier League.

However, his route to the first team was blocked by the good form of John Pantsil and he was only given limited opportunities to impress.

Stoor spent time on loan at Derby last season but has made no secret of his desire to leave Fulham on a permanent basis.

The 26-year-old's transfer request was finally granted before the start of the current window and he has now sealed a move to Valerenga.

Stoor will hope to play far more regularly for his new club and perhaps resurrect his international career, having been part of the Sweden squad at Euro 2008.

Who?
Fulham for life!

White Noise

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/14012011/58/premier-league-match-facts-wigan-athletic-v-fulham.html

Premier League - Match facts: Wigan Athletic v Fulham

Fri, 14 Jan 04:09:00 2011

Wigan have only won two of the 11 Premier League meetings between the sides, losing four and drawing five.

The last four meetings between the sides in Wigan have ended in draws.

Wigan have never scored more than one goal in a Premier League game against Fulham.

Fulham striker Clint Dempsey has netted five goals in seven appearances against Wigan, including a brace in this season's reverse fixture.

Wigan have won just one of their last six home games, drawing four and losing one.

Fulham's 2-0 victory at Stoke on December 28 is their only win in 28 Premier League games away from Craven Cottage.

Four of the Cottagers' last six league goals have been scored by defenders, (Baird (2), Hughes and Hangeland.)

67% of the goals Fulham have conceded have been netted in the first half, the highest proportion in the top flight.

Wigan are the only side in the Premier League who have yet to concede a penalty this season.

Fulham have earned fewer cards, 23 yellow and no reds, than any other team in the Premier League this season.

Opta

White Noise

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/soccer/8648509/schwarzer-endorses-keeper-coe/

Schwarzer endorses 'keeper Coe

By Liam FitzGibbon, AAP

January 14, 2011, 9:43 am

AAP © Enlarge photo

Nathan Coe may be well short of a household name but Mark Schwarzer reckons he could well be the man to succeed him between the posts for the Socceroos.

Fulham goalkeeper Schwarzer has no plans to retire any time soon but the race to replace him as Australia's No.1 is on and remains wide open.

Coe was considered a bolter in Holger Osieck's Asian Cup squad but the 26-year-old has impressed Schwarzer, having finally secured regular first team football with Danish club Sonderjyske.

Coe has represented Australia at junior level but only earned his Socceroos debut in the pre-tournament friendly with UAE this month, taking his chance well in the second half of the scoreless draw.

"I think he's done really well," Schwarzer said.

"I think it's the first time since he's been in Europe that he has an opportunity to play regular football and I think that shows.

"He's a lot more confident now he's had the match practice under his belt and that makes a huge, huge difference."

Many see Adam Federici as Schwarzer's most likely successor, despite his absence from Qatar after he asked to be overlooked to focus on his club career with Reading.

Brad Jones, Schwarzer's former deputy at Middlesbrough and now with Liverpool is also in the frame, as is Borussia Dortmund's Mitch Langerak.

But Schwarzer is clearly a believer in Coe.

"I think he's got all the potential to do so without a doubt," Schwarzer said.

"There's a couple of guys out there that have all the aspects I think is ideal for a goalkeeper.

"With the right sort of attitude, the right mindset there's absolutely no reason why they can't go on and become very successful."

Schwarzer said the depth in Australia's goalkeeping ranks was promising but emphasised the importance of playing regularly.

He felt that might work against Jones, who faces a significant challenge to earn game time at Liverpool being No.1 Pepe Reina.

"I don't blame him for making the move, though the detriment is he's not playing regular football and I think that's something he'll have to look at sooner rather than later," Schwarzer said.

White Noise

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/171912/Shaun-Wright-Phillips-right-man-for-Mark-Hughes/

SHAUN WRIGHT PHILLIPS RIGHT MAN FOR MARK HUGHES

14th January 2011

By Matt Butler

MARK HUGHES is set to be reunited with Manchester City misfit Shaun Wright-Phillips at Fulham – but ­admits he cannot afford ­Emmanuel Adebayor.

Wright-Phillips and ­Adebayor are leaving ­Eastlands after a lack of first-team action.

And boss Hughes hopes he can convince the winger he signed for £9m from Chelsea as City boss in 2008 to return to west London.

He said: "There is a lot of speculation and Shaun is a player I know and I have worked with before.

"We have had ­conversations with Manchester City, but also a number of other clubs in terms of who they are likely to be allowing out."

Hughes would have leapt at the chance to sign ­Adebayor, too, but admits he couldn't afford his former hitman, who looks destined for Real Madrid.

He said: "Manu is a guy I like. He did well for me as a player.

"Any team that has him will be strengthened, but that doesn't mean we are in any position to bring him here.
"We are in better shape than we were and perhaps the anxiety we felt before the window opened has ­dissipated somewhat."

White Noise

The Firing Line: Taken for Granted? West Ham boss Avram Grant survives mid-week chop

By Dan Ripley

Last updated at 12:01 AM on 14th January 2011

Not for the first time this season Avram Grant has dodged a bullet and remains in charge at West Ham – for now at least.

It was thought that failure to beat Birmingham in the first-leg of the Carling Cup semi-final would be the end for the 55-year old, with a board meeting taking place the day after the game surrounding his future.

But the 2-1 victory means despite languishing bottom of the Premier League, Grant is still in the hot seat and on the verge of taking the Hammers to their first Wembley final for 30 years.

However if their league form tails off further, Grant may not be around to lead his side out should they get there.

Each week we bring you our latest chart of the managers under pressure, and those on Easy Street.

Here's Sportsmail's sack-race rankings - otherwise known as the Firing Line.

1 West Ham - Avram Grant Just one defeat from seven games in all competitions, yet Grant's job is far from safe. Has the consolation that Scott Parker has revealed the players are behind him. NON-MOVER

2 Aston Villa - Gerard Houllier It's the month Houllier has to act, up until now he has fallen on the excuse that the squad is not his. His Villa future could depend on the success of his January signings. UP TWO

3 Chelsea - Carlo AncelottiAs emphatic as the 7-0 win against Ipswich was, Ancelotti is aware that it will all be forgotten in an instant if they fail to beat Blackburn on Saturday. NON-MOVE

4 Fulham - Mark Hughes There are goals in the Cottagers after all. It may have only been Peterborough but with six goals they were the second highest scorers in the FA Cup third round. UP ONE

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1346840/The-Firing-Line-West-Ham-boss-Avram-Grant-survives-mid-week-chop.html#ixzz1AzI4hgNj

White Noise

Manchester City's January clear-out: Shaun Wright-Phillips and Roque Santa Cruz set for exit, says manager Roberto Mancini

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 12:42 AM on 14th January 2011

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has confirmed Roque Santa Cruz is almost certain to return to Blackburn within the coming days - and paved the way for Shaun Wright-Phillips' departure as well.

Mancini has already stated that Edin Dzeko will probably be the only new face arriving at Eastlands during the current transfer window, so most of the attention around City this month is set to be on the players who will leave.

Wayne Bridge was first man out of the exit door on Wednesday, joining West Ham for the remainder of the season.

Santa Cruz's departure was always on the cards and it seems Wright-Phillips will be leaving too.

'It is the same situation for Roque and Shaun Wright-Phillips,' said Mancini.

'He has two or three options.'

Both players came in during Mark Hughes' brief tenure, so it is little wonder Fulham has been suggested as an option for Wright-Phillips, along with Birmingham, Newcastle and West Ham.

Having tried so hard to get Santa Cruz from his former club Blackburn, Hughes would doubtless be interested in the Paraguayan as well, although it appears his preference is to remain in the north-west.

'Roque will probably go to Blackburn,' confirmed Mancini.

'Every player wants to play. I understand that. But it is difficult for me.

'If an opportunity for either of them to play came up, then it would be better for them and I hope for Roque that in one or two days, he will have that.'

The situation with Emmanuel Adebayor is not quite so clear cut, however.

With Mancini confirming that it will be a couple of weeks at the earliest before he knows whether Mario Balotelli will need an operation on his knee injury, the Togo forward's future remains on hold.

A number of different clubs, both at home and abroad, have expressed their interest in the former Arsenal man.

But Mancini is wary of leaving himself short of options.

'A lot of teams want Emmanuel but at the moment we have to wait for Mario Balotelli,' he said.

'Maybe Manu will leave but we have another 20 days, so we have time to make a decision.

'If we lose three or four, we might end up in a situation where we don't have enough players for the remainder of the season.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1346743/Manchester-City-clear-Shaun-Wright-Phillips-Roque-Santa-Cruz-set-exit.html#ixzz1AzJINKso

White Noise

Robbie Keane expected to join West Ham from Tottenham in cut-price deal

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 1:04 AM on 14th January 2011

West Ham are confident of pushing through a cut-price deal for Robbie Keane after emerging as favourites to sign the unsettled Tottenham striker.

Sportsmail can reveal the relegation-threatened Upton Park club are actively pursuing Keane and believe they can see off competition from Birmingham, Newcastle, Fulham, Aston Villa and even America's MLS to help him kick-start a career that has stalled in recent months.

With the 30-year old reluctant to uproot his family and in no mood to be dictated to by Tottenham over any decision on his future, West Ham chiefs are hoping to land him for barely half the £8million Birmingham were initially quoted.

They have made it clear they want him, irrespective of manager Avram Grant's precarious position, and are eager to begin the task of convincing him he can help steer them away from trouble in the Barclays Premier League.

Though Keane has privately indicated he would like his next club to be in with a chance, at least, of competing for honours, West Ham's negotiating team feel they can still entice him to Upton Park.

Any replacement for Grant would be handed funds this month for further signings, in a recruitment drive aimed not only at safeguarding their Premier League place for another 12 months but laying the foundations for an improvement next season.

A financial package including wages that rise to around £75,000 a week, with bonuses, put him beyond Fulham's reach, while reported interest from the MLS, and new franchise Vancouver Whitecaps in particular, has so far failed to materialise.

West Ham have also expressed interest in Boca Juniors winger andBirmingham target Pablo Mouche, 23, and have asked about free agent Pascal Feindouno, 29, a Guinea international midfielder who was released by Al-Sadd of Qatar last month.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1346939/Robbie-Keane-expected-join-West-Ham-Tottenham-cut-price-deal.html#ixzz1AzK8LSay

White Noise

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/prev/fm_preview_wigan_athletic_v_fulham_15_jan_2011_619679/index.shtml

FM Preview: Wigan Athletic v Fulham 15 Jan 2011

By Footymad Friday, 14th January 2011

The game between Wigan Athletic and Fulham in the Premier League on Saturday, 15th January 2011 at 15:00 takes centre stage for FootyMad's preview analysis.

History of the Wigan Athletic v Fulham fixture

Fulham face a trip to Wigan Athletic at JJB Stadium on Saturday afternoon, hoping to improve upon an average previous return from this fixture. Of the 19 games played, Cottagers have recorded 4 wins, and Wigan Ath. have come away with 8 victories.

The most recent encounter between these two sides was just last season, in November 2009, where the two sides shared the spoils courtesy of a 1 - 1 final scoreline in a Premier League match.

For a detailed analysis of the head-to-head between the two sides, click here

Recent encounters between the teams:
2010/2011 Sat 30 Oct Fulham 2 - 0 Wigan Ath. PREM
2009/2010 Sun 04 Apr Fulham 2 - 1 Wigan Ath. PREM
2009/2010 Sun 08 Nov Wigan Ath. 1 - 1 Fulham PREM
2008/2009 Sat 07 Feb Wigan Ath. 0 - 0 Fulham PREM
2008/2009 Wed 29 Oct Fulham 2 - 0 Wigan Ath. PREM
2007/2008 Sat 22 Dec Fulham 1 - 1 Wigan Ath. PREM
2007/2008 Sat 15 Sep Wigan Ath. 1 - 1 Fulham PREM

Recent respective form guides

Wigan Athletic have collected 2 wins and 3 draws from their last six home matches. The goals for column just outweighs the goals against over this period, 8 to 6.

The away form of Fulham is pretty dire, accumulating just 1 victory and 1 draw from their last six played. Only 4 goals have been registered in this time, with 6 leaked at the wrong end.

Wigan Ath. are stuck down in the relegation zone of Barclays Premier League with a return of just 21 points from their 21 games thus far. Fulham find themselves struggling down in 14th position in the league having picked up 22 points from their 21 matches.

For a detailed analysis of team form guides throughout the leagues, click here

Current form guides: P W D L F A P
Wigan Ath. 6 2 3 1 8 7 9
Fulham 6 3 1 2 12 6 10

FootyMad's prediction ...

Fulham are in a sorry state of late on their travels, though the Mad panel can see them coming away from JJB Stadium with a well-deserved point. No-score draw

Sequence statistics:
Wigan Ath. Failed to win in previous 3 home matches.

Fulham 4 games since last away draw.
Last drawn game 6 outings ago.

White Noise

Sidwell hungry to prove himself at Fulham - Hughes

Published 23:00 13/01/11

By Martin Lipton

Fulham boss Mark Hughes last night insisted new signing Steve Sidwell came to Craven Cottage because he wants to prove he is the real deal.

Sidwell joined the Londoners on loan from Aston Villa after making just 31 league starts since leaving Reading for Chelsea in May 2007.

The midfielder will be on the bench at Wigan tomorrow, but Hughes maintained: "I don't believe it's a risk for us for him.

"Things haven't worked out for him over the last few years but Steve wants to get his career back on track. He told me he wants to play, not just stay at a club and pick up money for not playing.

"That absolutely tells me he is hungry to play again. He just needs the right vehicle and feels we're that club. I feel that as well.

"He'll give us something we haven't got because he is somebody who can go box-to-box, which is his main strength and he is a goal threat from midfield. He's always had the ability to score, as he sowed at Reading and that's a big commodity for any side."

Hughes is also keen to lure Shaun Wright-Phillips back to the capital from former club Manchester City, although he suggested another of the players he signed at Eastlands, striker Emmanuel Adebayor, is out of Fulham's price-range.

"Shaun's a player I've worked with, a player I know. At this point in the season you have conversations with other clubs all the time in terms of who they might be releasing, including City," said the Welshman.

"Manu is a guy who I like as a person. As a player, he did well for me. He had problems when he went out of the team, but he's a good guy and any team that had a player of the quality of Adebayor would be strengthened.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-boss-Mark-Hughes-is-hoping-midfielder-Steve-Sidwell-proves-himself-at-Craven-Cottage-following-his-loan-move-from-Aston-Villa-after-making-just-31-appearances-in-three-largely-lost-seasons-and-hinted-at-a-reunion-with-Manchester-City-winger-Shaun-Wright-Phillips-article672119.html#ixzz1AzLYFEVN

White Noise

FA Cup Confirmation

Thursday 13th January 2011

The Club can confirm that Fulham's Fourth Round FA Cup tie against Tottenham Hotspur will be played on Sunday 30th January 2011. The game will kick-off at 4.30pm and will be shown live on ESPN.

Ticket prices and information to follow shortly on fulhamfc.com.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/SpursCupFixtureConfirmation.aspx#ixzz1AzV43dGI

WhiteJC

http://www.footylatest.com/liverpool-to-hijack-fulham-move-for-man-city-reject/19021?

Liverpool to hijack Fulham move for Man City reject

The Man City boss Roberto Mancini has admitted that he will allow Shaun Wright-Phillips to leave the Eastlands this month as there is no room in his bloated squad to play everyone. But where will he be going?

Mark Hughes, the Fulham boss and SWP's old coach at City, has admitted that Wright-Phillips is one of many players that he wants at Craven Cottage, but he is having problems raising the funds necessary to pay the ex-Chelsea winger.

Hughes explained the situation yesterday: "I think what we have to offer is a good club, a club that wants to go to the next level, a very good management team and an opportunity to progress their careers if they've stalled," he said.

"People in the game know what I and my team can offer, and the club itself (Fulham) is very well run. I'm making a good sales pitch here, but why not?

"People assume that if you give players enough money, they'll come anywhere, but that's not normally the case."

This seems to have left the way clear for Liverpool, and Kenny Dalglish has ambitions of taking SWP to Anfield to add some creative play down the wings like the Liverpool of old. John W Henry has promised the Liverpool legend funds to improve the team immediately, in a bid to help persuade stars like Torres and Gerrard that the club will be moving forward next season.

The Metro reckons that Liverpool can have SWP for just £4m, and if SWP can recreate his previous form he would be a snip at the price.

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/48943/wigan-athletic-vs-fulham/preview

Wigan Athletic - Fulham Preview: N'Zogbia returns for Latics as Sidwell is set for Cottagers debu

TEAM NEWS

Wigan Athletic

Charles N'Zogbia is back for Wigan following his three-match suspension and he should be restored to the starting line-up by Roberto Martinez. Wigan have missed the creativity of the Frenchman in recent weeks and will be boosted by his return.

The Latics continue to be without on-loan midfielder Tom Cleverley, who pulled up with a hamstring injury after 12 minutes against Bolton.

But Franco Di Santo (ankle), James McCarthy (ankle) and Victor Moses (shoulder) are getting close to a first team return but will not feature despite resuming light training recently.

Possible starting XI: Al Habsi; Gohouri, G Caldwell, Alcaraz, Figueroa; Stam, Thomas, Watson, Diame, N'Zogbia; Rodallega.

Fulham

Steve Sidwell should be in the squad and could make his debut for the Cottagers after joining from Aston Villa. Mark Schwarzer is currently on international duty with Australia in the Asian Cup so David Stockdale will continue to deputise in goal.

Mark Hughes has no new injury worries to concern him, so apart from long term absentees Bobby Zamora (broken leg) and Philippe Senderos (shin) he has a healthy squad to choose from.

Possible starting XI: Stockdale; Paintsil, Hughes, Hangeland, Baird; Davies, Sidwell, Etuhu, Murphy, Duff; Dempsey.

History favours the Cottagers

The two sides have met 35 times in their history with Fulham edging ahead with 15 wins to Wigan's 10. In the last five seasons Fulham have won four of the 11 meetings between the sides, with Wigan only collecting the three points on two occasions, but the Cottagers have yet to win at the DW Stadium. They have secured draws in their last four visits so a victory in this match will end their search for a win and also see them complete a league double over the Latics for the first time.

In October the two sides met at Craven Cottage in what was a bottom of the table clash, and Fulham came out on top with a 2-0 victory over Martinez's side thanks to two goals from Clint Dempsey. The American has scored five goals in seven games against the Latics and will be hoping to continue this scoring streak.

A key three points for both sides

A victory in this game will be massive for both clubs as they try to pull away from the relegation zone. Wigan are currently sitting second bottom of the Premier League with 22 points and a win would lift them five places up the table if results go their way, and move them above their opponents.

Fulham's victories over Stoke and West Brom have lifted them to 15th position in the table but they are still just one point clear of the relegation zone, however a victory could lift them into the top half of the table. Unfortunately for Fulham their away form is not great this season, having only recorded one away victory - at Stoke - and have managed just eight goals in the 10 away fixtures.

Wigan will be glad to return to the DW Stadium where they have a good record this season. After early season defeats to Blackpool, Chelsea and Manchester City, only Newcastle have come away victorious in the seven games following the City match. Wigan have only lost one game in their last six Premier League matches but have also only recorded one victory in that time.

WhiteJC

http://www.livesoccertv.com/match/142708/wigan-athletic-vs-fulham/_preview?

Wigan Athletic vs Fulham Match Preview
Wigan Athletic and Fulham will meet in a battle of two relegation strugglers at the JJB Stadium. Wigan currently occupy the relegation zone after a run of one win in eight games, while Fulham are only one point ahead of them.

Star midfielder Charles N'Zogbia will return from suspension for Wigan, while Chris Kirkland and Franco Di Santo could also return.

Victor Moses will be out with a shoulder problem, while James McCarthy and Tom Cleverley are also sidelined with injury.

Striker Moussa Dembele will return for Fulham, but Mark Schwarzer is away representing Australia at the Asian Cup.