News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu


Friday Fulham Stuff - 25/09/26...

Started by WhiteJC, September 24, 2026, 11:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Charles taking record-breaking price tag in his stride
If Shea Charles is feeling a weight of expectation from being the most expensive Northern Ireland footballer ever his demeanour does not betray it.

Interviewed by BBC Sport NI before the forthcoming four-game Nations League bonanza, the Fulham midfielder cuts a laid-back but determined figure who is keen to play a key part in helping a young Northern Ireland side continue to build on recent progress.

Charles' record-breaking £30m move from Championship side Southampton to the Cottagers in the summer gave him the opportunity to move up a division and ply his trade in the Premier League.

He describes becoming NI's most expensive footballer as "quite crazy".

"I think I was like second or third before that. But to be number one, it's really cool. Just to be in the Premier League and just being able to play my football is amazing," he told BBC Sport NI's Stephen Watson.

"For me, I don't really think about it [the price tag] too much, and you see what a lot of people are going for these days, it's kind of crazy.

"I've just got really good people around me, living with my younger brother and my older brother, mum and dad. I've got a really good friendship group that keep me grounded."

International football, rather than the club game, will occupy the 22-year-old's attention over the coming weeks as Michael O'Neill's side face Georgia home and away, Hungary and Ukraine over the coming weeks.

Already capped 35 times since making his debut in June 2022, Charles emphasises the influence international football has had on advancing his career prospects and improving his game.

"International football has always been massive for me ever since I made my debut – the types of players you play against, the teams you are playing, you rarely got to play against them when you're playing in the Championship.

"Being able to show your level against those kind of players was always going to help.

"I feel like he [O'Neill] has really trusted me from the moment that I came in, starting me in any game that he could really, and I'm obviously very thankful for that.

"I feel like Michael has given me a bit of responsibility, especially taking the armband a couple of times, so I just try to set an example, whether that's on the pitch or off the pitch, and just be someone the young lads can look up to."

Premier League return was the aim
Charles has played a part in all five of Fulham's Premier League matches this season, starting in three of those, including draws against Liverpool and Manchester United in recent weeks.

Alvaro Arbeloa's side sit 19th in the table, with two draws and three defeats to date.

"Whether it was with Southampton or by getting a move the aim was always to get back to the Premier League.

"It's really exciting and I've settled in really well. It's a really good club and when I spoke to the manager we saw football in the same way.

"Against Man United it was a really good game and I thought we were unlucky not to win the game. To play in a game like that so early after my move was really good."

His brother, goalkeeper Pierce, currently on loan at Queen's Park Rangers from Manchester City after a summer switch, is also an integral part of the Northern Ireland squad.

"It's kind of the stuff of dreams to play with your brother on the international stage. When you're playing teams like France and Italy and he's playing alongside you it's really cool.

"We're really close, we played football together when we were younger, we've always been best mates."

'I can tell how proud mum is'
English-born Charles qualifies to play for Northern Ireland through his mother, who follows the careers of her sons avidly.

"She is dead proud, you can see on her face when you see her in the crowd at Windsor Park in particular.

"I can tell how proud she is of us and for us both to be playing together is just incredible.

"I can't remember the last one she has missed at Windsor Park. She is there all the time. She was in Italy and she tries to get to as many away games as possible.

"I told her that when I was younger [that I would play for Northern Ireland], me and Pierce, and I've definitely followed through with that promise."

Charles feels the "potential is definitely there" for the squad "to prove how good we are".

"It's a really tight-knit group, everyone gets along. Whenever any new boys come in I always feel like they fit in so well.

"When you get the likes of Ceadach [O'Neill] and Braiden [Graham] coming in you begin to feel that little bit older. It's a really good group."



https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cw98022gvjr1o

WhiteJC

"It's a matter of time" – Fulham signing on weak start and Arbeloa impressions
Fulham summer signing Hugo Larsson has insisted that "it's a matter of time" before the season starts improving.

The Swedish midfielder joined Alvaro Arbeloa's side at the end of the window, joining on loan until the end of the season.

The deal, though, has already been made permanent thanks a clause negotiated between the two sides.

Initial reports had indicated it was a loan with a mandatory purchase clause.

It was later explained that the permanent deal had already been finalised, as the clause involve Larsson playing just a single competitive game.

"Frankfurt was quite accommodating, and I'm grateful for that," Larsson explained.

"It was very easy to fulfil. It was likely what was required for the clubs to get the deal done. A solution
was found."

Fulham dreams
The 22-year-old had gotten to the point where he wanted to leave Frankfurt. And when Fulham came calling, he thought it was a no-brainer.

"I think I was clear with you (the Swedish media) back in March that I wanted to try something new, and that was the feeling this summer as well," he added to Fotboll Skanalen.

"Even though I enjoyed my time in Frankfurt and wouldn't have minded staying another season, I felt I was ready. It will be good for my career."

"When Fulham came into the picture, it was a no-brainer; I wanted to go there immediately and made that clear to the club. I'm incredibly grateful that Frankfurt wanted to find a solution – a fairly straightforward one in this case.

"One of the highlights of the summer was my move. Moving to the best league in the world and an incredible club like Fulham – it's been intense, but it's fun and I'm really enjoying it."

No concerns after weak start
The 22-year-old is yet to get his chance at Craven Cottage, though. While he's made four appearances to date, they've been worth 100 minutes. He's yet to play more than 13 minutes in the Premier League.

He did, though, manage 63 minutes in the 3-2 win over West Ham United in the Carabao Cup, though. That might be a little concerning for a midfielder who has long been linked with a move to some of the biggest sides in the Premier League. He's not concerned, however.

"Just like I did in Frankfurt – play a lot and contribute," he explained when asked what he can achieve in London.

"So far, I've come off the bench in every match and started one cup game. Slowly but surely, I'll earn my spot."

Arbeloa impressions
His lack of minutes means he's had little role to play as Alvaro Arbeloa has struggled to establish himself in the Premier League so far.

Fulham are yet to pick up a win with just two points from their first five games. That's left them in the bottom three of the Premier League.

The pressure is already mounting But Larsson has been left impressed by what he's seen so far behind the scenes.

"He's talented, tactically astute, and has a great feel for managing the squad," he told Fotboll Skanalen.

"We all enjoy working with him; results haven't gone our way yet, of course. But I think everyone at the club – and those around it – can see that we're playing good football. I believe it's only a matter of time before the results come."



https://sportwitness.co.uk/its-a-matter-of-time-fulham-signing-on-weak-start-and-arbeloa-impressions/

WhiteJC

FPL Scout: The top-scoring Fulham players so far
Fulham have teamed up with Fantasy Football Scout to help bring you hints, tips and advice during the 2026/27 Fantasy Premier League (FPL) season. Scout will be using their expertise to provide advice and gameweek tips which should prove useful in ensuring you win your mini-leagues.

With the opening five gameweeks of the season played out, FPL managers are now starting to see patterns in the data and getting a good understanding of the best players to own. Here are our top three highest scoring players so far:

Josh King (£5.5m) - MID

No Fulham player has scored more FPL points in the opening five Gameweeks than Josh King (£5.5m). The young English midfielder has started the season in brilliant form, scoring twice and picking up three bonus points. Both of King's goals have come at Craven Cottage, against Chelsea in Gameweek 1 and Crystal Palace in Gameweek 3. With 24 points and two goals in five starts, King has already surpassed his goal tally from last season and is well on the way to his best-ever season in Fantasy.


Fulham face Ipswich, Hull City and Coventry City in the next three Gameweeks and the England Under-21 international is emerging as a strong differential option. King currently sits in just 2.4% of teams and has been transferred in by nearly 60,000 managers during the international break. Among midfielders priced at £6.0m and under, King's underlying data is particularly impressive. In that price bracket he ranks joint-second for shots (14) and first for shots on target (7) and penalty box touches (37).

Timothy Castagne (£4.5m) - DEF

Attacking defender Timothy Castagne (£4.5m) is the second Fulham player to reach 20 points this season, thanks to two clean sheets and two assists. The Belgium international notched both of his attacking returns on opening night against Chelsea, while his Gameweek 2 clean sheet against Sunderland was due to being substituted prior to the Black Cats' goal. In Gameweek 5 against Manchester United, the Fulham number 21 was unfortunate not to return defensive contribution points for the first time this season. He ended the game on nine - just one short of the required threshold.

Castagne's goal threat stands out among Fulham defenders. His tally of four shots in the box, two shots on target and 10 penalty box touches can't be beaten among his defensive teammates. Three chances created is also a solid return. In all, his tally of 1.07 expected goal involvement (xGI) puts him fifth among all Fulham players.

Bernd Leno (£4.5m) - GK

Completing Fulham's top three is goalkeeper Bernd Leno (£4.5m), who has returned 18 points so far this season. The German's standout performance came in Gameweek 4 in the 0-0 draw against Liverpool at Anfield. As well as keeping a clean sheet in that game, Leno made three saves and claimed two bonus points, returning nine points in all.

Among shot-stoppers priced at £4.5m or less, only Brighton's Bart Verbruggen has scored more points, while his tally of 18 saves puts him fifth among all goalkeepers. Leno has provided a save point in four of his five appearances and is an option for managers on a Gameweek 6 wildcard to consider.



https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2026/september/24/fpl-scout-the-top-scoring-fulham-players-so-far/


WhiteJC

Player earns Mourinho praise after Fulham transfer anger – Commitment can't be questioned
Andrei Rațiu was annoyed when he couldn't join Fulham in the summer transfer window. Really annoyed.

Sport Witness even reported how annoyed he was by not moving to Fulham. Back at the beginning of the month, we explained how he had been left furious by the deal taking him from Rayo Vallecano collapsing.

Then we covered comments from Rayo's president basically telling him to get over it. As he put it "that's football". Well, 23 days later and it seems the defender has very much gotten over it.

Turn around in attitude
AS's print edition reports on the 28-year-old today and how he is proving to be 'indispensable
' for the Spanish side, despite his frustrations.

Rațiu nearly departed this summer, receiving 'juicy' offers from Nottingham Forest and Fulham. It was the latter who finished the summer really pushing though.

They proposed paying in five instalments for the full-back rather than paying his €25m release clause. That led Rayo Vallecano to ask for €30m instead – €6m each time – leading to the deal collapsing.

Jose Mourinho praise
Rațiu was left annoyed, frustrated and disappointed but he's done nothing but show 'great professionalism' since. He's only missed the clash against Barcelona so far. That was due to the transfer saga, and the president refusing to answer his calls at the end of the window.

Since then, he's continued to perform at a high level. He even recently earned lavish praise from Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho.

"He's a tremendous player," he said.

"Very attack-minded, fast, powerful, with an incredible ability to make repeated runs and cause problems down that flank; I felt it was best to shut the door on him." Those sentiments were reportedly echoed by Real Madrid president Florentino Perez.

The full-back has 'demonstrated his commitment' and, is now 'impeccable and indispensable' to his team. That, it seems, is being seen as a demonstration of the person he is and earning praise from inside and outside Rayo Vallecano.



https://sportwitness.co.uk/player-earns-mourinho-praise-after-fulham-transfer-anger-commitment-cant-be-questioned/

WhiteJC

Safe standing at Craven Cottage
The Trust have long been advocates for the introduction of an element of safe standing at Craven Cottage, a view made even stronger given the recent issues in the Hammersmith End connected to our licence as an all seater stadium.

We therefore welcome the announcement made by the Club that work on installing safe standing has commenced during this international break. Initially this will be in the away section only for reasons explained in the Club article and which we understand.

Consultation with Season Ticket Holders regarding the Hammersmith End will take place in early 2027 and the Trust would like to hear members views prior to the consultation so we can share them with the Club.

If you have any views you would like to give on safe standing in the Hammersmith End, could you please send them to contact@fulhamsupporterstrust.com by 31 October 2026.

For ease of administration could you please use the words Safe Standing in the title of any email on this subject.

Your Board of the Fulham Supporters' Trust



https://www.fulhamsupporterstrust.com/news/2026/09/safe-standing-at-craven-cottage/

WhiteJC

'I was seen as Portsmouth's next big star, Leeds, Stoke and Fulham wanted me - but I have no regrets'
The highly-regarded striker from Rowner scored one goal in three appearances for the Blues

It was wonderfully fitting that the performance of Bradley Lethbridge's life should arrive against Liverpool.

Trailing 2-0 against the club he idolises in the FA Youth Cup, the striker inspired a remarkable Pompey fightback, scoring once and then assisting the equaliser to stun the swaggering Premier League kids on home territory.

Then Bobby Duncan inflicted the agony of a stoppage-time winner on that December 2018 evening in St Helen's. The Reds scrambled through on a journey which, ultimately, would lead to capturing the coveted trophy.

Nonetheless, Lethbridge's compelling display persuaded Leeds to declare their interest in a highly-coveted 17-year-old who had previously attracted attention from Stoke and a £200,000 Fulham bid.

Recognising the importance of clinging onto a rising star, League One Pompey resisted, with the Gosport talent going on to announce a first-team arrival by scoring at Oxford United in his third senior outing.

Yet just 15 months after that Liverpool star turn and Leeds approach, Lethbridge was without a club and had fallen out of love with football.

'I wasn't enjoying playing any more, I had fallen out of love with football'
'I should have done more in football with my ability - and I have been told that by multiple people. But I don't have any regrets,' he told The News.

'To be honest with you, I was glad to leave Pompey, I was glad football had stopped. It felt like I was in a toxic environment towards the end. I was so happy to be out.

'It got to the point where I wasn't enjoying playing any more, I had fallen out of love with football. I stopped focusing, stopped caring, other things became a priority. Instead I wanted to enjoy my life with my mates.

'Life after Pompey meant socialising, going out to student nights, having fun with my mates, it was kind of like an escape. You're young, just go and enjoy yourself - and I definitely did.

'As a professional footballer you're fully committed to your career, you have to distance yourself from a lot of things, otherwise you aren't going to make it. That's why so many people drop out.

'Leaving football was a massive relief. It's a high demand, which a lot of people don't understand, they think you just get a ball, go and play, but it's not. There's a lot of politics in the game, it's who you know, not what you know, you need to get into the right groups, otherwise you're an outsider.

'Some people do have it in themselves to continue, whether they play in the National League or not. The likes of my former team-mate Josh Flint, who was released and carried on trying. He ended up in Holland and then in League Two with Crawley.

'I couldn't, though, my priorities changed. Family came first.'

Hugely promising future
Having initially been spotted at Gosport FC as a central midfielder, Lethbridge's first stint in Pompey's Academy spanned just one season, with the club deciding against retaining him at the age of 10.

Having returned to youth football and with his team lacking a striker, the youngster from Rowner volunteered his services up front. Within two years, Bournemouth and Pompey were offering him trials.

Lethbridge favoured a Fratton Park return on account of less travelling, thereby reuniting with an age group containing the likes of future first-team inductees Leon Maloney, Joe Hancott and Josh Flint.

And soon excited Academy coaches were tipping him for a hugely promising future.

He added: 'That Liverpool game in the FA Youth Cup was probably the best I ever played. That I can remember, anyway. As a Red who loved Steven Gerrard and Xabi Alonso, I was definitely up for it.

'We had fallen behind 2-0, but it wasn't over, and we scored twice in six minutes. It began when I took a free-kick on the edge of the box and there was a handball in the wall. I converted the penalty.

'Next I did an acrobatic overhead kick to put the ball back into the danger area and Joe Hancock volleyed in the equaliser. Then, in stoppage time, Liverpool took a quick corner which we weren't set for and won it.

'To be honest, they weren't even the better team on the night, we were dominant, their keeper actually kept them in it. We were very, very unlucky.

'That was a good time for me. I was scoring goals regularly while on loan at Bognor, then, after the Liverpool game, I heard about Leeds' interest. Whether it is true or not is a different story, but I was told that by my agent at the time.

'Nothing came of it, though, apparently it was closed down by Pompey, they didn't want to sell, and that happened a few times when I was in the Academy.

'Every three or four months you'd have a one-to-one with your Academy coaches and, on another occasion, I was aged around 14 when Johnny Ertl told me that Stoke, who were in the Premier League, wanted me to go there on a week's trial. Pompey said no. At the time it was "Okay", but as you get older, you start to understand a bit more about what could have happened.

'Later Fulham put in a couple of bids. Apparently the first was £150,000 and the second for £200,000, yet Pompey wanted £250,000, something along those lines. I was about 16, so I don't know the ins and outs. I just wanted to play football, my agent dealt with that and would talk to my parents.

'On another occasion, we won 5-2 against Bristol Rovers in the FA Youth Cup. I scored twice, with Southampton's Academy manager watching. He was good friends with my agent and it was mentioned I was on their radar, yet nothing came of it.

'Not that I was looking to leave. Robbie Blake, who was a first-team coach under Kenny Jackett and a former striker, really liked me and, at 16, I was named on the bench for a Checkatrade Trophy match against Northampton (December 2017).

'That morning I had turned up at Furze Lane to play for the Academy's Under-16s and I was told to get myself down to Fratton Park instead! We won 2-0 through goals from Gareth Evans and Stuart O'Keefe, although I never managed to get on. But things were looking up.'

Pompey scoring breakthrough
The in-demand Lethbridge was flourishing and, as a second-year scholar, he was handed a Pompey first-team debut at the age of 17 years, 10 months and 23 days, starting in place of the injured Brett Pitman against Spurs' Under-21s in the Checkatrade Trophy in November 2018.

He once more led Jackett's forward line two months later in a 2-0 success at Southend in the same competition. Despite not featuring again during a Checkatrade Trophy run which would culminate with a Wembley final triumph over Sunderland in March 2019, Lethbridge still received a winners' medal.

Amid quickening Blues progress, Lethbridge was also enjoying a season-long loan with Isthmian League Premier Division side Bognor, plundering 13 goals in 41 appearances for Jack Pearce's men, primarily from the wing,

It was eye-catching progress which saw the attacker rewarded with a third-year scholarship in that same season, having graduated from the Academy, marking another huge stride towards his first-team ambition.

Then, in October 2019, arrived the breakthrough. The striker crowned his third Pompey outing with a maiden goal, netting in a 2-2 draw at Oxford in the Leasing.com Trophy. His career was officially up and running.

Except Lethbridge would never play for the club again.

'At Oxford, Josh Flint's shot was saved by Simon Eastwood and I just tapped it in at the far post. The keeper should have done better, in fairness,' said the former Brune Park Community School pupil.

'My dad's a Pompey fan, he was over the moon with it, but for me it was just another goal, even though it was my first for the club. My job is to score goals - and I was doing my job.

'Kenny (Jackett) didn't say too much to me afterwards, he was never someone who was a big talker, yet we didn't see eye to eye.

'That 2019-20 season had actually got off to the worst possible start for me when I injured my quad on the second day of pre-season training. When I returned, I did my hamstring. I had never really picked up any big injuries before that, just niggles which you played through.

'Then, in March 2020, the Academy manager Mark Kelly pulled me into the office and said I wouldn't be getting a new deal. A couple of weeks later, Covid hit and football was paused. It meant I couldn't even go on trial anywhere.

'Kenny wanted to keep the first-team group as tight as possible, so only they were allowed to use the training ground, while the Academy had stopped completely. I couldn't even train there.

'I was on the outside and wasn't needed, so I didn't look after myself. I sat at home and did nothing. I'm not someone who can just motivate himself, I needed to be doing fitness stuff every day and it just wasn't happening.

'It was little things which affected my relationship Kenny, there were no arguments, but he didn't like how I was, he didn't like the shape I was in, which is my issue now. Falling out of love with football was more to do with the people around me, I didn't see eye to eye with some of the coaches in the Academy as well as the first-team. I liked to have my say.

'I was putting on weight and I didn't care'
'After I left Pompey, I joined Bognor permanently, but things had changed. I was no longer a professional footballer training every day, so I didn't look after myself. My friends were students and going out - and I wanted to join them.

'I was eating the wrong things at the wrong time, I was putting on weight and I didn't care. I wasn't bothered about portion sizes, while on a night out you'd grab any sort of fast food from whatever is open at 3am. I put on 3-4 stone, it didn't bother me, football was no longer a priority.

'I had my first daughter Bella at the age of 20, which meant everything to me, more than football. Football had become something which was now in the background.

'I went to Bognor, Portchester, Pagham and Horndean. Gosport paid £5,000 for me in May 2021 and I played six times, I just wasn't enjoying myself. When my second child Aria was born, I left Baffins Milton Rovers and didn't play again this season.

'My family are more important than football.'

Rediscovering love for the game
Now aged 25, Lethbridge joined Horndean in August, with the Wessex League Premier Division side representing a step up following two hugely productive years with Coldham Common.

With best mate Louis Howie serving as Coldham Common's assistant manager, the club had revitalised the attacker's love for football, demonstrated by a remarkable return of 54 goals in 79 appearances.

Meanwhile, with football no longer earning him a living, for the past five years Lethbridge has sold business mobiles for Lee-on-the-Solent based Connection Technologies, a job which allows him to take children Belle, Aria and step-daughter Eva to school every day.

Nonetheless, his footballing dream still hasn't been shelved.

He added: 'Something I ask myself is what could I have done differently? Then I think how can I change my mindset to get back playing?

'There's always time. If I can sort myself out, I don't see why I can't get back to the Football League. You don't lose your ability.

'If I could ever speak to myself as a teenager, maybe I would advise me to focus on football a bit more. Perhaps I would listen if it was coming from me. I'm not sure I would if it was from anyone else!

'I am still playing, I'm still scoring, and I'm probably overweight. I'm definitely not playing at a level I should be, I should be a lot higher, but the higher you go, the fitter you need to be. I realise I need to lose weight.

'Every week I get told by someone I should have done better, I am told that a lot. It just makes you realise what could have been.

'Yet with everything that has happened, I'm happy with what I am doing now. I am happy playing where I'm playing, I enjoy my job - and, of course, I have my family. Had I never left Pompey, I may not have met my partner, that's fate, that's the reality.

'There's more to life than football and my kids are my priority. They come before anything else, that will never stop. How could I complain about anything? Life's great, I'm happy.'



https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/portsmouth-fc-lethbridge-pompey-liverpool-bognor-9172619