News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu


NFR - A bit of trip advice: Naples

Started by The Equalizer, March 19, 2013, 01:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimpav

Ischia is beautiful and worth the ferry trip. Check the timetable online as they may still have a reduced service in April.

There is a bus that loops the island and stops in the main villages and beaches. Negombo spa is worth an afternoon. Built on a hillside with a lovely beach, thermal pools and a lap pool. Good place to enjoy the sun.

Pompei and Vesuvius are a must. Vesuvius is an easy climb but gives spectacular views of the bay and the crater. Always plenty of tour buses up there so you should be able to get one.

Pompei gets extremely hot - even in April. Theres no shade. Wear good walking shoes and take lots of water. I've been a few times and not seen it all.

The castle in town is good. You will get views of Napoli's ground on the way up and unbeatable views of the city at the top. There is another castle/fort on the bay which has some good seafood restaurants nearby.

Be careful in the Spanish quarter - this is the only bit which is particularly sketchy. You shouldn't really have any reason to visit here but just in case. Only other things to be aware of are traffic (pedestrians are merely an obstacle to be swerved round) and hawkers flogging cheap leather shoes and fake sunglasses/handbags).

Positani and Ravello are stunning. Sorrento is pretty but gets a lot of package holiday makers. Not a bad thing as it has a buzz and the prices are cheaper for food/beer. It's a long day out but worth it. If you are on the bus then you want to sit on the drivers side to get the best views on the way down and opposite on the way up. Driving is an option but take full insurance and a spare pair of pants.

English isn't as widely spoken as in the North or Rome outside of the tourist areas but people are generally friendly and receptive.

Enjoy!


Supermitch

Quote from: King_Crud on March 19, 2013, 04:20:24 PM
I stayed in Sorrento for Easter 3 years ago, it would be a nice place for a day trip for Naples. If you want boozing there's plenty of squares with bars, and most staff speak English. I was there just after we beat Jeventus in the Europa, I told the owner of a bar I was a Fulham fan and he kept giving me free drinks as he hates Juventus.

We went to Sorrento for a few days abut 5 years ago (flew to Naples and got the small train along the coast).  Pompeii was good but like Burt we found Herculaneum to be more interesting. Vesuvius was well worth the trip up whilst a trip along the Amalfi coast was excellent if you like stunning scenery with some nice towns.

People we met out there did a trip to Capri and advised it was pure rip-off and recommended not to go, advice we gratefully accepted.  

Whitby Fulham

I stayed in Pozzuoli which is just down the road from Naples which is very nice,do Pompeii and take the bus to Amalfi the views are brilliant.
Sorrento is a bit to set up for the English for me,you can buy Tetley bitter and the food English Italian like spag bol it should be ragu as most of the is regionized so you only really get ragu in Bologna.
If you wat to order food ask for quanto è che cane nella finestra.


nose

something you may find useful is Pizzeria Brandi for pizza, clinton and other went their, it is where pizza margherita was inveneted....  it is pretty good and when in Naples, the home of pizza, really Pizzeria Brandi is sort of a landmark, pizza in italy is the premierleague, all we get here is league one level pizza (and often not that). I loved it

Also if I recall in the city centre there is an arcade full of shops and in there are a couple of ice cream shops to die for, make sure you wait to find the right ones you'll know them when you see them.

cusackdribble

Careful with those accentuated hand gestures!

ron

Quote from: li_special on March 19, 2013, 08:58:04 PM
I stayed in Pozzuoli which is just down the road from Naples which is very nice,do Pompeii and take the bus to Amalfi the views are brilliant.
Sorrento is a bit to set up for the English for me,you can buy Tetley bitter and the food English Italian like spag bol it should be ragu as most of the is regionized so you only really get ragu in Bologna.
If you wat to order food ask for quanto è che cane nella finestra.

specify;   "the one with the waggly tail"..........?


King_Crud

Quote from: Supermitch on March 19, 2013, 07:31:55 PM
Quote from: King_Crud on March 19, 2013, 04:20:24 PM
I stayed in Sorrento for Easter 3 years ago, it would be a nice place for a day trip for Naples. If you want boozing there's plenty of squares with bars, and most staff speak English. I was there just after we beat Jeventus in the Europa, I told the owner of a bar I was a Fulham fan and he kept giving me free drinks as he hates Juventus.

We went to Sorrento for a few days abut 5 years ago (flew to Naples and got the small train along the coast).  Pompeii was good but like Burt we found Herculaneum to be more interesting. Vesuvius was well worth the trip up whilst a trip along the Amalfi coast was excellent if you like stunning scenery with some nice towns.

People we met out there did a trip to Capri and advised it was pure rip-off and recommended not to go, advice we gratefully accepted. 

I went to Capril for a day trip, besides the prices for food I thought it was a lovely place to wander around, the views over the back were stunning. Like I said, we went at Easter, which apparently was a very quiet time, I would hate to go there in the high season.

Lighthouse

The last time I was there the big reason to go to Capri was to see Gracie Fields home. But I guess she hasn't the pull nowadays. Still worth a visit and The Blue Grotto is interesting. Although in the time available as Ron says not a priority.

Thought Pompei and Vesuvius tours were great back then. Although the comment about it all looking the same is interesting. When I was there some old biddy complained of it being dusty. So enjoy it and enjoy the long weekend. Plenty to see and plenty to enjoy.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Stefano Okaka Chuka

Just two tips: watch your wallet. And get out as soon as possible.
She's a Flamenco girl
and dancing is her life
she said stay with me, stay with me
Viva el Fulham!


The Equalizer

Thanks for all of the tips people, I've taken them on board and am working on a plan!

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Burt

I forgot to mention Vesuvius... An absolute must.

Capri was disappointing, very much over-rated, and so many designer shops it felt like the Bicester outlet village with some water next to it.

The Equalizer

Quote from: Burt on March 20, 2013, 01:00:04 PM
I forgot to mention Vesuvius... An absolute must.

Capri was disappointing, very much over-rated, and so many designer shops it felt like the Bicester outlet village with some water next to it.

I wasn't planning on missing that one! I love a good volcano, but knowing my luck it'll choose that day to erupt!  :026:
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc


Burt

Quote from: The Equalizer on March 20, 2013, 01:16:22 PM
Quote from: Burt on March 20, 2013, 01:00:04 PM
I forgot to mention Vesuvius... An absolute must.

Capri was disappointing, very much over-rated, and so many designer shops it felt like the Bicester outlet village with some water next to it.

I wasn't planning on missing that one! I love a good volcano, but knowing my luck it'll choose that day to erupt!  :026:

When I was there you could see the odd bit of venting going on.

Reminded me of this board after a defeat.

082.gif

The Equalizer

There'll be plenty of venting going on once I've got a dozen Peroni's and a couple of glasses of Valpolicella down me!  :wine:
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

The Equalizer

Trip report:

Naples is an absolute pit. I've been to townships in South Africa that were better maintained. The main faults I had: there was nowhere to eat or drink. And I mean nowhere. We lucked upon a small restaurants on the main drag, but yesterday we walked for 2 hours through squalor and crowds and found nothing at all. The streets were disgusting, the people on mopeds absolutely mad, and you're taking your life into your hands just crossing the road. The street pedlars and beggars are a menace, the cab drivers robbers and the waiters lazy. I've never seen more people spend so much time just hanging around in the street in my life, it makes me wonder how anyone makes a living out there.

Naples aside, the trip was amazing. Our hotel (just on the Via Carbonara) was lovely and had possibly the fittest receptionists and the nicest bed I've ever slept in. Herculaneum and Pompeii were incredible. Simply stunning places full of so much history. For all of the hoo-har about Pompeii, I actually preferred Herculaneum in the things that we discovered. Pompeii was very large, and I walked every single part of it that was open over about 5 hours, but there was nothing to help bring the experience to life. In this I mean, you stroll around with the audioguide, but it didn't really make you feel anything for the people that lived there. It just explained murals on walls, the works of the playwright 'Terrence', and descriptions of the forums and temples. The exhibition at the British Museum makes much more effort in this respect than Pompeii itself. It was still incredible to be walking on those streets though.

Yesterday we made the trek up Vesuvius. I can safely say that I am unfit. It was a real slog to get to the top, but worth it in the end. One of the best views I've ever seen, and a decent amount of smoke coming from the stack itself. You can almost feel the raw power of that mountain beneath your feet and as you look over the landscape below, you just feel for those who once lived there.

All in all a brilliant trip though. We didn't make it to Sorrento, Capri or Amalfi, but there's always next time if I'm in the area. I highly recommend staying away from Naples unless it's for a day trip. There are some wonderful sights there, but generally it's just not a nice place.

Thanks to all who made their recommendations.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc


domprague

Pizzeria Brandi. Look it up and get there early as they queue down the road.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

FFCAli

Good to get feedback on a post like this! 

sunburywhite

 When you dance down the street
With a cloud at your feet, you're in love
When you walk in a dream
But you know you're not dreamin', signore
'Scusami, but you see
Back in old Napoli, that's amore
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me


Artful Dodger

I lived in Pozzouli, an outlying district of Naples, when I was a kid (some years ago now, I admit) but I do remember a fantastic amphitheatre down the road, which was meant to be the 2nd or 3rd largest in Italy behind the Colleseum in Rome and a Vesuvius 'outlet' called Volcano Solfatara which although dormant is more active in that it bubbles away and you can smell the sulpher being pushed out the ground. There were the odd Roman ruins down by the port where you can catch a ferry to Ischia, so you could make a day of it in Pozzouli.

I do remember going to the Sao Paulo - the first football match I ever went to was in Naples a few years before Maradona arrived - and getting tear gassed!

We also avoided the centre of Naples pretty much for the reasons already mentioned in this thread! Keep your wallet well hidden as there are pickpockets that would make the Artful Dodger look like a ham fisted novice!!
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Stefano Okaka Chuka

Quote from: The Equalizer on April 16, 2013, 01:53:44 PM
Trip report:

Naples is an absolute pit. I've been to townships in South Africa that were better maintained. The main faults I had: there was nowhere to eat or drink. And I mean nowhere. We lucked upon a small restaurants on the main drag, but yesterday we walked for 2 hours through squalor and crowds and found nothing at all. The streets were disgusting, the people on mopeds absolutely mad, and you're taking your life into your hands just crossing the road. The street pedlars and beggars are a menace, the cab drivers robbers and the waiters lazy. I've never seen more people spend so much time just hanging around in the street in my life, it makes me wonder how anyone makes a living out there.

Naples aside, the trip was amazing. Our hotel (just on the Via Carbonara) was lovely and had possibly the fittest receptionists and the nicest bed I've ever slept in. Herculaneum and Pompeii were incredible. Simply stunning places full of so much history. For all of the hoo-har about Pompeii, I actually preferred Herculaneum in the things that we discovered. Pompeii was very large, and I walked every single part of it that was open over about 5 hours, but there was nothing to help bring the experience to life. In this I mean, you stroll around with the audioguide, but it didn't really make you feel anything for the people that lived there. It just explained murals on walls, the works of the playwright 'Terrence', and descriptions of the forums and temples. The exhibition at the British Museum makes much more effort in this respect than Pompeii itself. It was still incredible to be walking on those streets though.

Yesterday we made the trek up Vesuvius. I can safely say that I am unfit. It was a real slog to get to the top, but worth it in the end. One of the best views I've ever seen, and a decent amount of smoke coming from the stack itself. You can almost feel the raw power of that mountain beneath your feet and as you look over the landscape below, you just feel for those who once lived there.

All in all a brilliant trip though. We didn't make it to Sorrento, Capri or Amalfi, but there's always next time if I'm in the area. I highly recommend staying away from Naples unless it's for a day trip. There are some wonderful sights there, but generally it's just not a nice place.

Thanks to all who made their recommendations.

Told ya, it is our own Liverpool (with all due respect for Liverpool of course).
She's a Flamenco girl
and dancing is her life
she said stay with me, stay with me
Viva el Fulham!