News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu


POST MATCH: Wolves

Started by Friendsoffulham, February 25, 2025, 09:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WindyCity

To be honest, I didn't think FFC played all that well v Wolves.  And after the Palace debacle at home, I think we need to sharpen the game if we want to move up the table. 
Felt we were rather poor v Wolves, and I know MS introduced substantial changes to the lineup, and yes, I know any time you can garner 3 points on the road that is a great result, this is a tough league, but I still felt we were on the back foot for many stretches in this game, mostly making a defensive stand v a poor/weak opponent.  I don't want to sound overly harsh here, there were a few good moments, a couple terrific assists and finishes for the goals scored.  But I just think we have to be better, and surely do have the potential to move up the table, but some more positive consistency is what I'm still looking for. 

Bobsffc

Quote from: WindyCity on February 28, 2025, 04:27:13 PMTo be honest, I didn't think FFC played all that well v Wolves.  And after the Palace debacle at home, I think we need to sharpen the game if we want to move up the table. 
Felt we were rather poor v Wolves, and I know MS introduced substantial changes to the lineup, and yes, I know any time you can garner 3 points on the road that is a great result, this is a tough league, but I still felt we were on the back foot for many stretches in this game, mostly making a defensive stand v a poor/weak opponent.  I don't want to sound overly harsh here, there were a few good moments, a couple terrific assists and finishes for the goals scored.  But I just think we have to be better, and surely do have the potential to move up the table, but some more positive consistency is what I'm still looking for. 


Everyone sees games differently, of course, but I think you have to ask yourself how threatened was the Fulham goal once we took the lead at the start of the second half? And the truth is, as Marco said, we restricted to Wolves to about zero decent chances for the 50 minutes - I'd say that was a pretty solid performance

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: WindyCity on February 28, 2025, 04:27:13 PMTo be honest, I didn't think FFC played all that well v Wolves.  And after the Palace debacle at home, I think we need to sharpen the game if we want to move up the table. 
Felt we were rather poor v Wolves, and I know MS introduced substantial changes to the lineup, and yes, I know any time you can garner 3 points on the road that is a great result, this is a tough league, but I still felt we were on the back foot for many stretches in this game, mostly making a defensive stand v a poor/weak opponent.  I don't want to sound overly harsh here, there were a few good moments, a couple terrific assists and finishes for the goals scored.  But I just think we have to be better, and surely do have the potential to move up the table, but some more positive consistency is what I'm still looking for. 

I take your point and understand where you are coming from.

However from a managers point of view after a performance and defeat of that nature v Palace.
He has to ensure Fulham bounce back like a wounded Lion.

Because losing and bad habits can become a regular habit.
He knows there is more than one way to win a football match.
First you make yourself hard to score against, second you make yourself hard to beat, and third if you have to win ugly then so be it, this was not the game to look pretty although at times we still outplayed them and still out passed them and still outfought them, and of course due to all those ingredients we out scored them.
Believe me people will only remember the result.
How many of us would have honestly forecast that scoreline.
Think of how the players felt afterwards, like a dog with two winkles.
Then the first training back with moral and confidence restored.
That is all that matters when your neck is on the block.
Especially with a place in the quarter finals is the prize on Sunday.
I do not care how we win, it is as long as we win.
Man for man and it is the some of the parts, and we are better than them.
Every player has to win his own battle, no place for milky
players only
winners and foot soldiers and warriors.
Therefore the win against Wolves no matter how you look at it was a massive boost of adrenaline and confidence.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.


demeant0r

Quote from: WindyCity on February 28, 2025, 04:27:13 PMTo be honest, I didn't think FFC played all that well v Wolves.  And after the Palace debacle at home, I think we need to sharpen the game if we want to move up the table. 
Felt we were rather poor v Wolves, and I know MS introduced substantial changes to the lineup, and yes, I know any time you can garner 3 points on the road that is a great result, this is a tough league, but I still felt we were on the back foot for many stretches in this game, mostly making a defensive stand v a poor/weak opponent.  I don't want to sound overly harsh here, there were a few good moments, a couple terrific assists and finishes for the goals scored.  But I just think we have to be better, and surely do have the potential to move up the table, but some more positive consistency is what I'm still looking for. 

I also had this view watching the match but afterwards I've come to realise that this was intentional judging by the formation and change of personnel. The point was to restrict them to poor chances and then maybe snatch a goal or two on the counter. We've basically done what Forest do on a (near) weekly basis this season.

WindyCity

Quote from: Bobsffc on February 28, 2025, 06:17:04 PM
Quote from: WindyCity on February 28, 2025, 04:27:13 PMTo be honest, I didn't think FFC played all that well v Wolves.  And after the Palace debacle at home, I think we need to sharpen the game if we want to move up the table. 
Felt we were rather poor v Wolves, and I know MS introduced substantial changes to the lineup, and yes, I know any time you can garner 3 points on the road that is a great result, this is a tough league, but I still felt we were on the back foot for many stretches in this game, mostly making a defensive stand v a poor/weak opponent.  I don't want to sound overly harsh here, there were a few good moments, a couple terrific assists and finishes for the goals scored.  But I just think we have to be better, and surely do have the potential to move up the table, but some more positive consistency is what I'm still looking for. 


Everyone sees games differently, of course, but I think you have to ask yourself how threatened was the Fulham goal once we took the lead at the start of the second half? And the truth is, as Marco said, we restricted to Wolves to about zero decent chances for the 50 minutes - I'd say that was a pretty solid performance

Thanks for your response.  I do think we're on the same page, as my original commentary declared a "defensive stand" v a rather weak opponent.  And yes, FFC did well defensively in the second half, limiting Wolves to chances.  That said, how comfortable are you, or many fans here, with these one goal leads?  And sitting on those one goal leads?  I think we are all aware how dangerous they are, and how they can turn into draws or even losses, and we've had a boatload of one goal games this season.  Nice defensive performance, but I should think we can do better turning these games into comfortable wins, and not letting a fluke or slip up or poor play turn these matters into draws.  Need more consistency from FFC, on the front foot, the positive side, than what we saw v Palace and Wolves.

Hatch007

Blimey, poor Marco.

He's accused by some on here (not necessarily those posting in this thread) of not having a plan B when things don't go to plan.

We play crap at home vs Palace so he makes a bold team selection and changes our style and formation, gets the win against a team desperately fighting for survival, we defend stoically to totally nullify the opposition in the second half and yet the team is criticised for a poor performance.

We can't always win playing Champagne football.

Even title winners are commended for winning ugly when they don't perform well. It shows character to win away from home without being the dominant force. Maybe try to accentuate the positives from time to time.



St Eve

Quote from: Hatch007 on March 01, 2025, 09:33:28 PMBlimey, poor Marco.

He's accused by some on here (not necessarily those posting in this thread) of not having a plan B when things don't go to plan.

We play crap at home vs Palace so he makes a bold team selection and changes our style and formation, gets the win against a team desperately fighting for survival, we defend stoically to totally nullify the opposition in the second half and yet the team is criticised for a poor performance.

We can't always win playing Champagne football.

Even title winners are commended for winning ugly when they don't perform well. It shows character to win away from home without being the dominant force. Maybe try to accentuate the positives from time to time.


Well said. A good, professional display with several first team players either on the bench or injured