more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

If they could see it now

Started by Steve_orino, January 25, 2010, 05:10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_orino

Cambridge Rules circa 1856
No copy of the 1848 rules survives but the following set of University Rules, circa 1856, still exists in the Library of Shrewsbury School.

The Laws of the University Foot Ball Club
1.This club shall be called the University Foot Ball Club.
2.At the commencement of the play, the ball shall be kicked off from the middle of the ground: after every goal there shall be a kick-off in the same way.
3.After a goal, the losing side shall kick off; the sides changing goals, unless a previous arrangement be made to the contrary.
4.The ball is out when it has passed the line of the flag-posts on either side of the ground, in which case it shall be thrown in straight.
5.The ball is behind when it has passed the goal on either side of it.
6.When the ball is behind it shall be brought forward at the place where it left the ground, not more than ten paces, and kicked off.
7.Goal is when the ball is kicked through the flag-posts and under the string.
8.When a player catches the ball directly from the foot, he may kick it as he can without running with it. In no other case may the ball be touched with the hands, except to stop it.
9.If the ball has passed a player, and has come from the direction of his own goal, he may not touch it till the other side have kicked it, unless there are more than three of the other side before him. No player is allowed to loiter between the ball and the adversaries' goal.
10.In no case is holding a player, pushing with the hands, or tripping up allowed. Any player may prevent another from getting to the ball by any means consistent with the above rules.
11.Every match shall be decided by a majority of goals.
(Signed)
H. Snow, J. C. Harkness; Eton.
J. Hales, E. Smith; Rugby.
G. Perry, F. G. Sykes; University.
W. H. Stone, W. J. Hope-Edwardes; Harrow.
E. L. Horner, H. M. Luckock; Shrewsbury.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

LBNo11

...those were the days, Corked Hat and Peabody were very proud of the rules they drew up back then!

A great find Steve, thanks...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

The Doctor

On a slight tangent, I believe I inadvertantly stumbled across a reference to the earliest example of football hooliganism while I was doing some research recently.

A precise date wasn't given, but it would have been in the latter half of the 17th Century.  There had been considerable unforeseen problems following the draining of the East Anglian Fens, and the only way to keep the land dry was to use wind pumps.  This had the effect of flooding neghbouring land, so wind pumps "were frequently pulled down under cover of football playing"

Don't believe me?  I stumbled across this little gem in Derby (1983) The Changing Fenland.  Cambridge University Press.  Near the end of chapter 4 according to my notes

LBNo11

...in the very early days of football wasn't "hacking" an accepted part of the sport where someone could actually kick at the opponents legs? I'm sure I read that somewhere..?
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

dancrawford

Yep. Was part of the game until 20th century over here, some would say it's even alive today ...