Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (13.02.11)

Started by White Noise, February 12, 2011, 11:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Hughes: The best Torres can hope for at Blues is fourth

Published 23:00 12/02/11

By Alex Shaw

Mark Hughes reckons Chelsea won't catch leaders Manchester United now – and believes the best £50m striker Fernando Torres can hope for is qualifying for the Champions League.

Fulham boss Hughes, who has played for the Blues and United: "It's difficult to see if Chelsea can win the title now.

"But they do need to get into the Champions League as it's huge for them. I am sure, in time, Torres will have a bigger impact."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-boss-writes-off-Chelsea-s-title-hopes-article696691.html#ixzz1Dn2266mq

White Noise

Roy reckons Baggies will be easier to save than Fulham

Published 23:00 12/02/11

By Ralph Ellis

Roy Hodgson believes West Brom's squad is better than the Fulham side he took over then saved from relegation three years ago.

The 63-year-old starts work properly at The Hawthorns tomorrow morning after being named as the replacement to Roberto Di Matteo.

Hodgson, sacked just five weeks ago by Liverpool, made only a brief statement about his new job following his appointment on Friday because the club wanted to keep their focus on yesterday's home game with West Ham.

But a friend said: "Roy is delighted about getting this job because he feels it will give him an immediate opportunity to restore his reputation as a top coach.

"Everybody knows what a difference he made when he took over at Fulham, but on that occasion he was appointed before the January window closed so he had a chance to sign players he knew such as Brede Hangeland.

"This time he felt it wasn't a problem to take over even though the window was shut because the squad is already more than good enough to stay up."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Roy-Hodgson-reckons-West-Brom-will-be-easier-to-save-than-the-Fulham-team-he-steered-clear-from-relegation-three-years-ago-article696057.html#ixzz1Dn2O2qbf

White Noise

Chelsea's Abramovich targets Arsenal's new chief scout after bagging Torres and Luiz

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 10:36 PM on 12th February 2011

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is continuing his regeneration of the club following the £75million signing of Fernando Torres and David Luiz by trying to poach Arsenal's chief scout Steve Rowley.

And Dutch legend Marco van Basten is also being considered as a potential replacement if manager Carlo Ancelotti is sacked at the end of the season.

On the hunt: Abramovich has his eye on Arsenal's chief scout Steve Rowley

But it is Chelsea's pursuit of Rowley, responsible for a string of signings, including Cesc Fabregas, Robin van Persie and Thomas Vermaelen, which will alarm their London rivals.

Rowley's record is unparalleled in England, with a string of young players joining Arsene Wenger's side after being recommended by his scouting network.

Players such as Alex Song Wojciech Szczesny, Bacary Sagna and Gael Clichy were all unearthed as youngsters and signed for small amounts.

Chelsea now want Rowley to do the same job for them after director of football Frank Arnesen leaves in the summer. Stamford Bridge is undergoing something of a revolution since Abramovich took a direct interest again with the big Torres and Luiz deals.

Van Basten is a leading candidate to take over if Chelsea's indifferent form continues. They travel to neighbours Fulham tomorrow, needing a victory to maintain their position as Champions League qualifiers.

Van Basten, one of the greatest strikers ever then Holland's coach at the 2006 World Cup and Euro 2008, put himself in the frame by declaring his readiness to return after a two-year break since quitting Ajax.

He said: 'I am thinking about a nice big club abroad. It's logical for me.

'I have been manager of the national team and Ajax and once you've done those jobs it's awkward to manage another club in Holland.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1356441/Chelseas-Abramovich-targets-new-chief-scout-bagging-Torres-Luiz.html#ixzz1Dn3WzMNF

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/02/13/bobby-zamora-edging-nearer-to-a-return-to-the-first-team-at-craven-cottage-102039-22918416/

Bobby Zamora edging nearer to a return to the first team at Craven Cottage

Feb 13 2011

by Dean Jones, The People

BOBBY ZAMORA will play another friendly behind closed doors this week to see if he can make his Fulham comeback in the FA Cup fifth round at home to Bolton or Wigan next Sunday.

The striker has been targeting a Premier League game against Manchester City at the end of the month but could return sooner if he convinces Mark Hughes he is ready.

Zamora – out for five months following a broken leg – played 45 minutes against Brighton in midweek and now a second private test for him has been sanctioned.

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/02/13/missing-steve-sidwell-all-set-to-put-his-foot-on-the-gas-102039-22918415/

'Missing' Steve Sidwell all set to put his foot on the gas

Feb 13 2011

STEVE SIDWELL has revealed how a four-year football famine turned him into the hungriest player in the Premier League.

The midfielder arrived at Fulham on loan last month after two disastrous transfers – but now he is ready to rise again.

Sidwell, joined Chelsea from Reading on a free transfer in 2007 to chase honours and press for an England place, only to be sold on to Aston Villa 12 months later for £5million.

His nightmare continued in the Midlands and now, at 28, he is trying to resurrect his career.

Sidwell said: "Despite everything, I don't feel I have a point to prove to anyone at all. My time at Chelsea didn't go the way I wanted it to, but I still feel I made a healthy number of appearances in the circumstances.

"In terms of trophies, it was probably the unluckiest season I could have been there.

"We lost the Carling Cup final to Spurs, lost the league by a point to Manchester United and then we lost in the Champions League final to them too. So I didn't get any silverware at Chelsea but the experience I gained on and off the pitch was fantastic.

"At Villa I was drained and that's why I got out.

"You get a lot of English players who are just hungry to play. Whether they win or lose, it's about coming off after a game knowing that you have given your all. And I've missed that feeling.

"I don't think you'll find a player out there at the minute who is hungrier than me."

Tom

Quote from: White Noise on February 13, 2011, 06:04:18 AM

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/02/13/bobby-zamora-edging-nearer-to-a-return-to-the-first-team-at-craven-cottage-102039-22918416/

Bobby Zamora edging nearer to a return to the first team at Craven Cottage

Feb 13 2011

BOBBY ZAMORA will play another friendly behind closed doors this week to see if he can make his Fulham comeback in the FA Cup fifth round at home to Bolton or Wigan next Sunday.

The striker has been targeting a Premier League game against Manchester City at the end of the month but could return sooner if he convinces Mark Hughes he is ready.

Zamora – out for five months following a broken leg – played 45 minutes against Brighton in midweek and now a second private test for him has been sanctioned.

Love to see this and read about it!  :54:
Fulham for life!

Tom

Morning WN! Love your work buddy!  :54: :54: :54:
Fulham for life!

White Noise

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/02/13/mark-hughes-insists-london-neighbours-chelsea-won-t-win-the-title-this-season-102039-22918417/

Mark Hughes insists London neighbours Chelsea won't win the title this season

Feb 13 2011

by Alex Shaw, The People

MARK HUGHES has ruled Chelsea out of the title race – and reckons they only snapped up Fernando Torres and David Luiz to ensure they qualify for the Champions League.

Hughes is convinced that Carlo Ancelotti's men can't catch leaders Manchester United, saying: "It's difficult to see how they can win the title now.

"Historically, not many teams done it after losing seven matches – six used to be the benchmark.

"If you keep the defeats below that you have a chance. Chelsea won't want to lose any more games until the end of the season, so it looks beyond them – even if they put a run together.''

The Fulham boss was more optimistic about Chelsea's European ambitions.

He said: "The intention was first and foremost to get into the Champions League and you can be certain that given their position and players, they have a real chance.

"Torres needs to be cut some slack. In world football, he's up there with the best of them.''

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/premier-league-match-reports/2011/02/13/dave-kidd-s-verdict-mega-rich-manchester-city-can-t-buy-belief-102039-22919462/

Ferguson, also, made a couple of cunning little buys, almost under the radar, in deals struck before last summer's transfer window opened.

Javier Hernandez has proved a cat-burglar of goals and, yesterday, Chris Smalling proved why Ferguson spent £12million taking him from Fulham reserves.

The young English defender was man of the match despite Rooney's masterpiece.

Belief, it seems, is infectious, it comes with the red shirt, even young squad players like Smalling seem full of it.

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/sport-confidential/2011/02/13/nicklas-bendtner-lions-up-the-flight-home-from-denmark-102039-22918830/

IT is time to reveal the secret behind David Stockdale's England call-up ... pre-match trips to Nando's! The Fulham stopper is a regular at his local chicken house on Friday nights – and has been in clucking brilliant form ever since.

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/02/13/baggies-boss-roy-hodgson-wants-mike-kelly-as-his-no-2-at-the-hawthorns-102039-22919158/

Baggies boss Roy Hodgson wants Mike Kelly as his No.2 at The Hawthorns

Feb 13 2011

by Dave Kidd, The People

ROY HODGSON wants to link up again with Mike Kelly who retired after the pair were axed by Liverpool.

Kelly, 68, was Hodgson's No.2 at Fulham and Anfield, and the new Baggies boss wants to team him up with former Fulham first-team coach Ray Lewington at West Brom.

People Sport can reveal that former Spurs boss Martin Jol was also approached for the Baggies job.

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/02/13/don-t-write-us-off-insists-frank-lampard-we-re-aiming-for-victory-roll-to-claim-title-102039-22918414/

Don't write us off, insists Frank Lampard – we're aiming for victory roll to claim title

Feb 13 2011

by Steve Bates, The People

FRANK LAMPARD has fired up his Chelsea team-mates by ­telling them: The only way we are going to retain our title is by winning EVERY game.

He knows any more dropped points will ­effectively end their challenge for the Premier League crown – and the brief trip to Craven Cottage tomorrow night could define their up-and-down season.

As Chelsea look to bounce back after the shock defeat to Liverpool last ­weekend, Lampard said: "It will take a huge effort because we need to win all of our games and hope others slip up.

"But it's something we still believe in. The desire is still there for me – winning is like a drug. When you win leagues and cups you want to keep on having that feeling of success."

Chelsea had a goal-laden start to the season, hitting six past West Brom and Wigan, but stumbled as the season ­approached its halfway stage.

Lampard said: "We had a terrible run during November and December but we never believed it when people were ­calling us invincible at the start of the season.

"We know there is an awful lot of work to do from here on in after falling so far behind Manchester United but we feel we're capable of putting the kind of run together that we need."

Lampard said the two games against Manchester United – in March and May – could prove crucial.

He said: "The matches will be massive for both clubs but we can't afford to think about them too much. There are a lot of other big fixtures for the other teams involved in the title race.

"Our aim is to get a run of wins going so we can close the gap before we play United.

"Even though we lost to Liverpool, we feel we have come through the worst of it and this is when the big players and the big personalities stand up."

Lampard is certain the firepower that £50million Fernando Torres has added to Chelsea's attack will pay dividends, despite his disappointing debut against former club Liverpool.

He said: "I think Drogba, Torres and Anelka can all play together, but it's up to us as a team to find the best way for it to work.

"As a midfield player you can't ­complain about having three strikers of that quality in your team, but we need to find the balance and the system to get the best out of them."

Lampard's pride at leading out England for the first time against Denmark in midweek has given him a major boost as he runs into a rich vein of form.

He said: "Being England captain was a big moment for me and a great feeling. I didn't expect to get the opportunity at this stage of my career and it's another ambition I can tick off.

"But there's an awful lot of things left for me before I call it a day. I would love to win a few more caps with England, and to win the European Championships with England and the Champions League with Chelsea.

"I know you don't always get what you want, but I think it's important for any player to have big ambitions, regardless of what stage you're at in your career.

"The last few games are the best I have felt this season. I just want to keep ­playing because I'm the kind of player who feels at his best when I play every three or four days.

"I've been on the sidelines injured so I'm due a good run in the team. I just want to find some good form and some goals."

And he will be hoping for both in ­tomorrow's crucial Craven Cottage clash.

White Noise

I'll prove I can cut it with Chelsea, vows frizzy Luiz

By Bob Cass

Last updated at 10:57 PM on 12th February 2011

David Luiz aims to show he is more than just top of the mops when he makes his full Chelsea debut at Fulham tomorrow night.

The Brazilian defender arrived at Stamford Bridge last month from Benfica with a big reputation and an even bigger hairdo, but he is determined that his football skills rather than his curly locks will catch the eye.

'I decided to let it grow one winter when it was very cold in Portugal and it became a trademark in Lisbon,' said Luiz, who insists he has not modelled himself on Barcelona captain Carles Puyol.

Top of the mops: But David Luiz can be more than just a haricut for Chelsea

'I didn't get it done to look like Puyol or anyone else. I hope people judge me for my football and not my hair.'

The 23-year-old, who cost Chelsea 325million, boasts the latest in a line of shocking styles to grace the top flight, from George Berry's ultra afro to Marouane Fellaini's comedy crop.

Luiz's new clubmate Frank Lampard, meanwhile, refuses to concede defeat in the title race despite a 13-point gap between leaders Manchester United and Chelsea.

'We still feel we're in it,' he said. 'We know there is an awful lot of work to do but we feel we are well capable of putting the kind of winning run together that we now need.
'We still have to play United twice and there are a lot of other big fixtures for the other teams involved in the title race.'

Faulty Torres: Chelsea's £50 million signing failed to impress on his debut
Lampard expects £50m signing Fernando Torres to play a key role, even if his debut defeat at home to former club Liverpool suggested it would be hard to strike the right balance up front.

He said: 'I think Didier Drogba, Nicolas Anelka and Torres can play together, but it's up to us as a team to find the best way for it to work.
'As a midfielder you can't complain about having three strikers of that quality in your team, but we need to find the system to get the best out of them.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1356377/David-Luiz-vows-cut-Chelsea.html#ixzz1DopL3CFi

White Noise

http://www.talkchelsea.net/chelsea-vs-fulham-match-preview.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TalkChelsea+%28Talk+Chelsea%29

Chelsea vs Fulham: Match Preview

13th Feb 2011, In Match Previews, by Shane

The Chelsea v Fulham game could be known as the 'Forgotten' derby. No media make a big deal about it, and Chelsea fan's don't hate Fulham as much as they hate Spurs, Arsenal and maybe even Liverpool and United. The tie has thrown up some very good games in the best, Last year for example, Chelsea ended there bad streak that they were going through at the time, Coming from behind to beat Fulham 2-1.

Chelsea are coming into this game on the back of a devastating defeat to Liverpool, which ruined Fernando Torres's Blues debut. Our 50 million man was substituted around the 60th minute mark, Despite calls for Didier Drogba to be subbed. There was calls for the Ivorian to be benched for this game, But Ancelloti has said that Drogba will start, Alongside Fernando Torres. This is what Ancelloti thought of the calls that Drogba and Torres couldn't play together.

"My aim as a coach is to try and find the best solution with the players I have, In this squad Drogba and Torres are fantastic strikers and we have to try and do everything to get them to play together."

This may have put the rumours to bed that Drogba would leave in the summer because of Torres, As Carlo clearly thinks that the two players couldn't play together. Similar comments were stated when Nicolas Anelka arrived at Stamford Bridge, and a game against Fulham put them to bed. Drogba set up Anelka for the opener, and Anelka returned the favour. Torres is fancied to score in this one, as he was against Liverpool, but with Torres and Drogba both starting, it helps them both in many regards. Usually when we played with one upfront, The defence could focus on that player solely. But now with two world class strikers, the best back centre back pairings in Europe could struggle against Drogba and Torres, if they learn to work together.

Carlo also said on Friday morning that new signing, David Luiz will start. Luiz did well when he came on against Liverpool, and held his own.  The arrival of Luiz looks like a boost to our defence, Who were forced to playing Jeffery Bruma a few weeks ago. If both live up to the hype that is surrounding them, They could be a Chelsea centre half pairing in the future. The Brazilian played in their game against France during the week, and looked to pick up a knock but he is fine.

Alex, Zhirkov and Benayoun all remain injured, while Jose Bosingwa is doubtful. Benayoun looks close to a return though, and will be reunited with his former teammate Fernando Torres when he does. While Fulham have Ethutu, Zamora and Senderos miss out for Fulham. Chelsea  youngster Gael Kakuta also misses out due to the agreement in his loan deal.

But unlike Kakuta, three players with big connections to Chelsea will feature. Former Chelsea double winner Damien Duff will be in action for Fulham, as will Blues fan favourite Eidur Gudjohnsen. Eidur also featured in the heartbreaking 1-1 draw against Barcelona, but for obvious reasons didn't get a reception that night, But hopefully the Chelsea fans will give him a warm reception on Monday, The game will fall on Valentine's day after all! Fulham manager Mark Hughes was also a fan favourite in his 3 years at Chelsea. Steve Sidwell will also play for Fulham, but big connection is probably going abit far!

The game itself is a strange one to predict, What Chelsea will turn up? What Fulham will turn up? These questions will not be answered until Monday evening, and the fact that Chelsea will be out to prove a point could be vital. Chelsea should go into this game hungry for success, and one man who needs to make an impression is Fernando Torres. He, and everyone connected to Chelsea are desperate for him to get his first goal, As the more time waiting, the pressure grows, and I'm sure some Chelsea fans still remember Chris Sutton! Didier Drogba needs to have a good game, not to make himself to feel  good,  But if he keeps playing the way he does, he will be lucky to be at Chelsea next season. This is also the third game Chelsea will play with Anelka behind the front two if he does. One amazing game, One terrible one, This could be a deciding game for 'Nico'.

Predicted Line Ups:

Chelsea

Cech

Ivanovic – Luiz – Terry – Cole

Mikel

Lampard – Essien

Anelka

Drogba – Torres

Fulham

Schwarzer

Panstil – Hughes – Hangerlaand – Baird

Dempsey – Sidwell – Dempsey – Duff

Demebele

Johnson

Verdict: The game is a tough one to call, as Fulham do pose a threat. Dempsey, Duff and Demebele are all players to watch that could cause a lot of problems. But if the blues hold firm and supply enough ball to the front 3, Fulham could be in for a long afternoon. I expect their gameplan to isolate the ball from going up to Drogba, Torres and Anelka, and when it does to get back in numbers.

Prediction:  Fulham 1-2 Chelsea

White Noise

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/176632/Fernando-Torres-worth-the-dough/

FERNANDO TORRES WORTH THE DOUGH

13th February 2011

By Tony Stenson

FULHAM manager Mark Hughes believes Chelsea have spent well forking out £50million for Fernando Torres.

And he thinks it will be money well spent if Torres helps keep Chelsea in the Champions League spots.

Hughes, whose side face the Blues tomorrow night, said: "To me, Chelsea are out of the title race and are now ­concentrating on a place in the ­Champions League.

"It you achieve that and are guaranteed £40million, then spending that much on a player is good business. I liked spending money at Manchester City. I liked bringing in quality players.

"It does bring pressure because people are checking your judgment. But it is all about budgets. I could not do that here.

"I see Torres doing well – but hopefully not too well on Monday!

"Chelsea have certainly come a long way since I was there. I signed on one side of the pitch and they had a huge hole on the other side. People thought back then leaving Man United was going down – but not any more. I won three trophies there."

Hughes has told John Pantsil and others seeking updated contracts they will only be rewarded by playing well.

Pantsil could leave Craven Cottage on a free this summer and Hughes said: "He needs to play well between now and the end of the season. We'll talk then

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/feb/13/chelsea-fulham-premier-league-top-four

London pride may be all Chelsea can salvage

Chelsea's trip down the road to Fulham on Monday will show if their eight-year residency in the top four is likely to be broken

Share8  Comments (10)

Paul Wilson The Observer, Sunday 13 February 2011 Article history

Fulham's Clint Dempsey, left, battles for the ball with Michael Essien during Chelsea's 1-0 home win in November. Photograph: Glyn Kirk/AFP/Getty Images

A few seasons ago in the José Mourinho era, waiting for a Chelsea game to start, a couple of visiting Japanese journalists broke off watching the live early kick-off on the press-room TV to ask for information about one of the participants.

"Where exactly is Fulham?" was the question. To which the answer was, naturally, right here. "You're in Fulham now, mate," came the breezy reply, which just left the travellers looking even more puzzled. As well they might, given the propensity of English football clubs for misrepresenting matters geographical. It is fairly well known that Everton were around before Liverpool, that Arsenal have not always been in north London, that Manchester United is practically in Salford and that none of the Potteries' six towns is called Port Vale.

Chelsea actually being in Fulham is no more of a curiosity than Tottenham wanting to relocate to Stratford, though the real historical oddity about Stamford Bridge's origins is that an old athletics venue was redeveloped as a football stadium – by Archibald Leitch, no less – before a tenant club had been found. It seems to have been originally assumed that Fulham would move in but, when they declined in 1905, a new club had to be hurriedly formed. A new name was also required, since Fulham was taken, so after some deliberation it was decided to play as the borough next door. One of the names rejected, possibly short‑sightedly, was London FC. Thinking big had not done Liverpool any harm 13 years earlier and, though Anfield spectators like to taunt Chelsea with the charge of having no history, the origins of the two clubs are remarkably similar. Liverpool, too, had to form a team from scratch, after Everton left Anfield over a rent increase, and managed to do so only by buying players wholesale from Scotland.

One imagines if Chelsea were ever obliged to rename themselves in the future they would go for London like a shot. This is not an attempt to be controversial but, when foreigners think of London football, they tend to think of Chelsea. Not just because of Mourinho, and Didier Drogba, Petr Cech and the rest, but because of John Terry, Frank Lampard and the English core that Arsenal do not have. Tottenham are only just starting out in the Champions League while Arsenal are viewed as a wonderful side but not necessarily as an English one.

Outside this country to think London is increasingly to think Chelsea, which may partly explain Fernando Torres's rather hurtful comments about leaving Liverpool to join a big club. Does anyone imagine he would have spoken about Arsenal in quite the same way? One would not wish to exculpate Torres completely – he certainly appeared to be trying to twist the knife – though it is possible he viewed his new destination as a conflation of big Champions League name and big city.

In which case he had better do his best to prevent his side being upstaged by the lesser-known neighbours on Monday, the ones who managed to reach a European final as recently as last year. Fulham and Mark Hughes seem to have survived an early-season wobble and put together a decent run of results since the turn of the year. In six games since losing to Spurs on New Year's Day they have lost only once, and that was by a single goal at Liverpool when they were unlucky. They also lost by only a single goal at Stamford Bridge in November, allowing Chelsea a win between defeats by Liverpool and Sunderland that would be their last for another six league matches. Chelsea appeared to have recovered their poise in impressive wins at Bolton and Sunderland but then came the Torres business and a far from convincing display last week.

Torres may have been bought with an eye on this season's Champions League but, unless he can gel quickly and effectively with Drogba in the domestic fixtures, there is still a possibility of Chelsea's eight-year residency in the top four being interrupted.

Latest indications are that Carlo Ancelotti's side may not be storming back to the top of the table after all and the best Chelsea may be able to hope for is securing a top-four finish at the expense of Manchester City or Tottenham. Their worst fear would be Liverpool coming up on the rails to claim a Champions League place of their own, throwing just about everyone's plans into disarray. While that may be a fanciful scenario, it could happen. Liverpool have already done their bit, beating the defending champions home and away, but Chelsea's season is still going to be defined, as Ancelotti has been saying all along, by the two games against Manchester United.

If by then there is any prospect of Chelsea dropping out of the top four and Liverpool sneaking in, or perhaps just Torres and his new team dropping out, United can expect to pick up an unprecedented degree of support from Merseyside.

White Noise

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2291318,00.html

ANCELOTTI: STRENGTH IN DEPTH

Posted on: Sun 13 Feb 2011

Carlo Ancelotti is delighted with the options available to him ahead of our game at Fulham on Monday.

The manager has been able to welcome Ramires back to full training after the midfielder missed last weekend's defeat to Liverpool, and although Jose Bosingwa remains a doubt numbers are still up after the addition of Fernando Torres and David Luiz to his squad on transfer deadline day.

'Everyone is in good condition after the international matches and the squad trained without a problem,' the manager said. 'Bosingwa has a little inflammation on his knee but I hope that he will be recovered before Monday.

'Now we have a strong squad with David Luiz and Torres, we've improved our ability and we have more power. The squad was good, but now it is even better.

'This week Ramires has recovered and is able to play so we have a lot of options, he is improving game by game because he takes more confidence on his play and combinations with the other players so it will be good to have him back.

'In attack we can choose whether to play with two up front or with the Christmas tree, it depends on the game that we want to play. When we play with two strikers Nicolas Anelka can be in the number 10 position, in the hole, but with one striker he can play on the right.

'Florent Malouda can also play there, and sometimes we tried last year Lampard at the beginning of the season which was not bad. Malouda can also play in the Christmas tree, but I don't need to think of him as a central midfielder because we have a lot of options there.'

The Italian has been helped by having two extra days with which to try out combinations and tactics for what he anticipates will be a tough Craven Cottage test.

'It is perfect to be able to play on this Monday, the players have more time for recovery after the international matches but we can still prepare for Fulham, which will not be easy because I think Fulham now are having their best moment of the season,' he explained. 'They are playing well with confidence so for us to be able to take more time and play on Monday is good.

'On Thursday we worked hard with the players that were not involved in the internationals and the other players recovered, Friday was another recovery day, and Saturday and Sunday have been short and sharp to prepare for the game.'

Further good news this week came with Branislav Ivanovic's five-and-a-half year contract extension.

'We are very happy because Ivanovic has signed a new contract and with Davd Luiz, and Alex, he is young. We will not have a problem in the centre of defence in the future,' Ancelotti said.

'Ivanovic is important because he can play centre-back or right-back without a problem. He has a body that can recover very well from matches, and he has played more than any other player this season.'

White Noise

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/prev/fm_preview_fulham_v_chelsea_14_feb_2011_645980/index.shtml

FM Preview: Fulham v Chelsea 14 Feb 2011

By Footymad Sunday, 13th February 2011

This week FootyMad's match preview focuses on the game between Fulham and Chelsea at 20:00 on Monday, 14th February 2011 in the Premier League.

History of the Fulham v Chelsea fixture

Fulham prepare to entertain Chelsea at Craven Cottage on Monday evening, looking to improve on a dire past record against their opponents. It does not make pleasant reading, winning just 7 of the 35 games played, and losing 21.

The most recent encounter between these two sides at Craven Cottage was just last season, in August 2009, as the visitors ran out cosy 0-2 winners in a Premier League match.

For a detailed analysis of the head-to-head between the two sides, click here

Recent encounters between the teams:
2010/2011 Wed 10 Nov Chelsea 1 - 0 Fulham PREM
2009/2010 Mon 28 Dec Chelsea 2 - 1 Fulham PREM
2009/2010 Sun 23 Aug Fulham 0-2 Chelsea PREM
2008/2009 Sat 02 May Chelsea 3 - 1 Fulham PREM
2008/2009 Sun 28 Dec Fulham 2 - 2 Chelsea PREM
2007/2008 Tue 01 Jan Fulham 1 - 2 Chelsea PREM
2007/2008 Sat 29 Sep Chelsea 0 - 0 Fulham PREM

Recent respective form guides

Fulham have an excellent home record, winning five and losing just one of the last six games. In this time, Cottagers have rattled up an impressive 17 goals, and conceded 5.

Chelsea have an average recent record on the road, with two wins, two draws, and two defeats. The games have constituted a decent return of 11 goals for the Blues, and 5 goals against.

Fulham see themselves just below half way in the Barclays Premier League, showing a record of 30 points from their 26 games played so far, Chelsea's total of 44 points from their 25 games sees them sitting in the playoff places in Barclays Premier League.

For a detailed analysis of team form guides throughout the leagues, click here

Current form guides: P W D L F A P
Fulham 6 3 2 1 10 4 11
Chelsea 6 4 1 1 18 4 13

FootyMad's prediction ...

Fulham are starting to turn Craven Cottage into a fortress, but the quality of opposition for this game makes your FootyMad panel believe the teams will share the spoils on this occasion. Score draw

Sequence statistics:

Fulham Won 5 successive home games.
7 games since last home draw.
Unbeaten run of 3 matches.

Chelsea Undefeated in last 3 away games.

White Noise

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/02/12/great-time-to-play-chelsea-says-fulham-boss-82029-28161062/

Great time to play Chelsea says Fulham boss

By Paul Warburton

Feb 12 2011

FULHAM boss Mark Hughes reckons Monday's west London derby against Chelsea has come just the right time – and this despite £50million Fernando Torres set to bear down on his defence.

On Valentine's Day there will be no love lost between Whites fans and their fierce rivals down the Fulham Road – and it's the one match above all others they want to win.

Their manager reckons such is the Cottage industry at the moment with five wins and two draws from the last eight games – his side couldn't have timed it better.

In contrast, Hughes' counterpart Carlo Ancelotti has given up on the title, and the Fulham man can see why.

He said: "The bench mark has always been that if you lose six games in the Premiership, then it's going to be difficult to win the title.

"Chelsea have done that, and if they lose any more they may find it difficult to beat two other sides ahead of them."

"But we're pleased the derby is here and now. It's a great opportunity."

Three former Blues could figure against their old club on Monday night, with Damien Duff and Steve Sidwell almost certain to start - and Eidur Gudjohnsen likely to come off the bench at some point.

Hughes reckoned the time Duff spent at Stamford Bridge has helped make him the player he is.

He added: "Duffer had a great time at Chelsea, and he's grateful for that. That kind of experience shapes you – and he's reaping the benefits."
Fulham are without the injured Philippe Senderos, Matthew Briggs, and Bobby Zamora – although the striker is set to play an hour in a friendly on Tuesday, with a view to an entire 90 minutes if his rehabilitation allows it.

Dixon Etuhu is also still suffering with a hamstring problem and misses the match.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/02/12/great-time-to-play-chelsea-says-fulham-boss-82029-28161062/#ixzz1Dov9ygzP