more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Special One to MLS

Started by duffbeer, February 10, 2011, 05:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duffbeer

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/mourinho-says-he-wants-coach-mls

"My idea is to stay at the top of European soccer for the next 10 to 15 years. After that I would like to have a completely different experience in the United States – the New York Red Bulls or Los Angeles Galaxy, a home in Manhattan or a home in Malibu. That's the idea I have."

Well for his sake I'll assume he hasnt put much thought into it yet, but it's beginning to look like the top players and now managers look at MLS as a place to retire - as sort of a hobby. A nice comfortable life in which they can still dabble in football.   As Finn alluded to in his Robbie Savage thread I do think MLS should be careful in this regard.  Maybe some people think it's okay for MLS to be a joke to Europe but you will never get a serious fan base that way.  Galaxy fans are livid about Becksham's latest decision to train longer with Tottenham.

With all of that said, I would be interested in seeing Jose try his hand at managing in MLS.  If he thinks he can just waltz in and be a success in a league with a salary cap, he may be in for a rude awakening.

MisfitKid

:034: :005: :005:  :011: :011: :doh:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

HatterDon

if anyone could do it, Mo, he could. He's the best coach in the world right now. If his players are best suited to attack, he'll field that sort of team. If they're best suited to ball-control grinde it out, he'll field that sort of team. He succeeds everywhere he goes because he recognizes the possibilities and the limitations and then gets the best out of everyone. Strategically and tactically, anyone else you could name is 2nd to him.

Having said that, MLS really needs to recognize that they should NOT rely on foreign players to enhance their league's image. There have been some successes at this -- JP Angel is the one that leaps to mind -- but the more we bring over guys who can no longer cut it in the top class in Europe, the MLS will continue to be looked at as a retirement home, with a few second-rate role playing Americans to flesh out the roster. I think we're better off taking the image of Holland as a developer of talent that goes -- at huge bucks -- to the top leagues, all the while playing an attractive form of the game. Bring in foreigners, sure, but get them young and in development -- as we already do -- and ignore the "last big paycheck" crowd.

The thing is that MLS isn't run by football people, but by entertainment people.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

finnster01

No denying the special one's managing capabilities. It is indeed special.

However, I share the concerns of having MLS become the elephant burial ground for footballers. I just read something about Roberto Carlos considering an offer to come to the US as well. Roberto Carlos is 38 years old... Not sure if that is the way forward for MLS
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Steve_orino

Quote from: finnster01 on February 12, 2011, 02:25:50 PM
No denying the special one's managing capabilities. It is indeed special.

However, I share the concerns of having MLS become the elephant burial ground for footballers. I just read something about Roberto Carlos considering an offer to come to the US as well. Roberto Carlos is 38 years old... Not sure if that is the way forward for MLS

Mr. Finn, I agree with the "elephant burial ground" - No Thanks.  I suspect that sneaky agents float these rumors out there to make it sound as if there are options for their client or that there is actual interest in them...an attempt to drive up their price ???

Senor Hatter, I think the Dutch or German models are excellent Leagues to aspire to for MLS (a compromise of the best from both Leagues would be great.)  I think the establishment of the Academies and the re-start of Reserve games is a step in the right direction.  Sadly, I worry that the "entertainment F.O." won't get it right...

Note to self: Add MLS to my prayer list...
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Steve_orino

On topic: Initially reading this thread topic I rolled my eyes & avoided it - another big name floating out MLS offers.  Finally clicked on it and reading the responses gave way to thought...

If Jose came to MLS in the next 10 years, that may not be such a bad thing.  As Hatter points out, he's a great (special) manager and any League could more of those.  Being as special as he is, he's a competitor, and MLS has 4 decent trophies to compete for (Supporters Shield, MLS Cup, Lamar Hunt US Open Cup, & the Concacaf Trophy).  Could he be the first to attain a Double here, a treble, or the Quad??
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

AmericanJames

I think there have been 2 or 3 teams that have down the double, but It would be cool to see a team dominate on all three or four levels of competition. I doubt it will happen soon though.
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

duffbeer

I dont get these comments about MLS being run by entertainment people.  That is not how I would classify Garber.  What am I missing?