watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (19/02/10)

Started by WhiteJC, February 19, 2010, 08:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/fulham/7269092/Fulham-v-Shakhtar-Donetsk-Europa-League-win-probably-best-in-Europe-says-Hodgson.html
Fulham v Shakhtar Donetsk: Europa League win 'probably best in Europe', says Hodgson
Roy Hodgson has said Fulham's 2-1 victory over Europa League champions Shakhtar Donetsk was evidence of how far the club have progressed.

Narrow lead: Fulham will go into return leg in Ukraine with one-goal advantage Photo: PA Bobby Zamora struck a stunning 63rd-minute winner at Craven Cottage to give Fulham a strong chance of progressing in the competition when they travel to the Ukraine for next Thursday's second leg.

Shakhtar threatened to cut loose after Luiz Adriano equalised Zoltan Gera's early opener, but Fulham rallied as Bobby Zamora grabbed the winner to leave Hodgson beaming with pride.

"We're very happy to get a victory against such a good team," he said. "It was a very exciting cup tie played in the right spirit and it was very competitive. Both teams tried to pass the ball.

"I'm pleased to have taken such an important scalp. It's a big game for Fulham and we've come an awful long way.

"If someone had said to me during my first season here when we were battling to stay in the Premier League that we'd beat Shakhtar in a couple of years, I'd have thought they were taking the mickey.

"We've done it and are very proud of it. There's an awful lot left in this tie because we saw how skilful they are, but we still have a chance to make a name for ourselves.

"This was a very good victory - probably our best in Europe."

Hodgson heaped praise on Zamora, who struck from 20-yards with a powerful drive that cannoned off the crossbar and crashed into the net.

The impressive Fulham forward also set-up the opener for Gera.

"It was a wonder strike from Bobby. He's got two feet, I don't know which is his best and neither does he," said Hodgson.

"Apart from his typically accomplished performance as a target man setting things up and working hard, his strike was of real quality.

"We're now talking about a striker who has scored 14 goals in 31 starts.

"It's an excellent strike rate. I hope he can get over the 20-goal mark to crown his season."

Shakhtar are midway through their winter break and coach Mircea Lucescu blamed their inactivity for allowing Fulham to sneak ahead through Gera in the second minute.

"A lack of practice coming into the game saw us concede the first goal. After that we had the game under control," he said.

"There were a lot of chances which we could have scored from but we couldn't always get the breakthrough.

"We will have to realise our potential in the second leg and win the game, but this will be very hard to do as Fulham are very well organised."

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=5415
Gera gets another one
by Dan on February 19, 2010

Bobby Zamora might have scored some vital goals this season, but another of last year's scapegoats Zoltan Gera has certainly proved his worth in Europe this season. The Hungarian had already been enjoying a much better second season at the Cottage by popping up with some crucial goals but his strikes against CSKA Sofia and Basel ensured Fulham's progress from the group stage and his early goal against Shakhtar Donetsk last night was the perfect start.

It was his third Europa League goal in three consecutive games but Gera was modest enough not to take all the credit.

I have been lucky, I have lots of good balls from my team-mates. I love to play in Europe. I love to play against teams from other countries and the test that presents.

After the early goal, we didn't get a lot of the ball. Shakhtar Donetsk proved themselves to be a very, very good team with lots of skilful players who were confident with the ball and they put us under a lot of pressure. But in the second-half we started very well and it was much better for us.

The gaffer told us at half-time to keep doing exactly the same. To keep our shape and be patient, because if we go out of our positions Shakhtar are good enough to punish us. So we stuck to our plan and the result was a much better second-half performance.

Bobby is playing with full confidence. He's very strong and very quick and good with both feet. He's proving very good for us and hopefully he will keep this form going for the rest of the season and beyond. We're very happy with Bobby because he's proving himself to be one of the best strikers in the Premier League.

Gera's still got his feet on the ground as he looks ahead to the second leg – and Shakhtar's away goal certainly means his caution is merited.

This isn't really a great result, because they scored a goal and away goals are very, very important. Now if they score just one at home we are out, so they are in a good position.

But we never go out for a game just wanting to avoid defeat, we want to win every game. It will be difficult, but we will go out and play the same as today and see what happens.

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=5417
Roy delighted with 'important scalp'by Dan on February 19, 2010

Roy Hodgson was delighted to see his Fulham side claim 'probably our best victory in Europe' and described the first leg win over Shakhtar Donetsk as 'an important scalp'.

The Fulham boss saw his side score early through Zoltan Gera and then, despite being pegged back just before half-time, produce a much better second half performance. The Whites will take the narrowest of leads to the Ukraine thanks to a sublime strike from Bobby Zamora.

We're very happy to get a victory against such a good team. It was a very exciting cup tie played in the right spirit and it was very competitive. Both teams tried to pass the ball.

I'm pleased to have taken such an important scalp. It's a big game for Fulham and we've come an awful long way.

If someone had said to me during my first season here when we were battling to stay in the Premier League that we'd beat Shakhtar in a couple of years, I'd have thought they were taking the mickey.

We've done it and are very proud of it. There's an awful lot left in this tie because we saw how skilful they are, but we still have a chance to make a name for ourselves. This was a very good victory – probably our best in Europe.

It was a wonder strike. He's got two feet, I don't know which is his best and neither does he.

Apart from his accomplished display as a target man setting things up, working hard, his strike was of real quality. We're talking about a striker who has scored 14 goals in 31 starts. I hope he can get 20 goals to crown his season.

Roy was just as pleased with Fulham's grit and determination.

Shakhtar were exceptional in the first half and maybe we got a bit scared in that situation and weren't prepared to get on the ball as much as we normally do. But we pulled ourselves together in the second half. We don't come up against sides like this week in, week out and we had to really dig deep to get there.

WhiteJC

BBC Sport - Football - Roy Hodgson hails Fulham win over Shakhtar Donetsk
Roy Hodgson hails Fulham win over Shakhtar Donetsk
Fulham boss Roy Hodgson said his side were hitting new heights after they beat Shakhtar Donetsk in the first leg of their Europa League last 32 tie.

Zoltan Gera and Bobby Zamora sealed a 2-1 win after Luiz Adriano had levelled for last year's Uefa Cup winners.

"I'm pleased to take such an important scalp. It's a big game for Fulham and we've come a long way," said Hodgson.

"We've done it and are very proud of it. This was a very good victory - probably our best in Europe."

Hodgson added: "If someone had said to me during my first season here when we were battling to stay in the Premier League that we'd beat Shakhtar in a couple of years, I'd have thought they were taking the mickey.

The Cottagers are enjoying a fine season, despite injuries ravaging the squad, with striker Andrew Johnson ruled out for the campaign and forward Clint Dempsey and defender John Pantsil also on the sidelines.

Having progressed into the FA Cup quarter-finals, Fulham are 10th in the Premier League and their hopes of progression in the Europa League now rest on taking a slender one-goal lead to Ukraine on 25 February.

"We're very happy to get victory against such a good team," said Hodgson.

"It was a very exciting cup tie played in the right spirit and was very competitive. Both teams tried to pass the ball.

"There's an awful lot left in this tie because we saw how skilful they are, but we still have a chance to make a name for ourselves."

Fulham were often outplayed in Wednesday's entertaining clash, but a valiant defensive display and Zamora's 25-yard blast on the hour ensured a satisfying win over the team who beat Werder Bremen to lift the Uefa Cup last year.

606: DEBATE
A blistering goal from a happy Bobby and some stout defending saw us take the advantage to Ukraine

frogman27
The 29-year-old Zamora, pushing for a spot in England's World cup squad, bagged his 14th goal of the season in 31 starts and Hodgson has high hopes for the striker who almost joined Hull in the summer.

"It was a wonder strike from Bobby. He's got two feet - I don't know which is his best and neither does he," said the Fulham boss.

"Apart from his typically accomplished performance as a target man setting things up and working hard, his strike was of real quality.

"He has an excellent strike rate. I hope he can get over the 20-goal mark to crown his season."

WhiteJC

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/matches/season=2010/round=2000038/match=2000914/postmatch/quotes/index.html
Gera gears up for Donetsk duel
Zoltán Gera told UEFA.com that Fulham FC are steeling themselves for a "very, very difficult game in Ukraine" after they edged past FC Shakhtar Donetsk in their round of 32 opener.
Zoltán Gera believes Fulham FC still have plenty of work to do if they are to overcome FC Shakhtar Donetsk and reach the UEFA Europa League round of 16.

Gera played a key role in Fulham's 2-1 victory over last year's UEFA Cup winners in London on Thursday, scoring early and then setting up Bobby Zamora for a sublime winner after Luiz Adriano had equalised. However, the Hungarian international knows his side will have to be at their best to keep Mircea Lucescu's men at bay in the second leg on 25 February. "It will be a very, very difficult game in Ukraine," he told UEFA.com. "They are a top team, but we really want to go through."

The former West Bromwich Albion FC midfielder acknowledges that Shakhtar gave Fulham a tough test at Craven Cottage, especially in the opening period. "They had a lot of possession in the first half and caused us a lot of problems, but in the second half we played very well," the 30-year-old said. "We deserved the win."

According to Gera, Fulham's success in gaining control of the tie lay in a more aggressive approach after the restart. "We wanted to go forward quicker and earlier in the second half, and we made them lose the ball more." Zamora's 63rd-minute goal perhaps underlined the difference. "It was a top goal by Bobby and I'm very happy for him," he said.

Luiz Adriano also praised his fellow goalscorer's strike, admitting Shakhtar had been caught cold. "In the second half we were unlucky to concede a great goal, which was totally unexpected," he said. The Brazilian's neat effort, his tenth goal in UEFA club competition, had rewarded an enterprising first 45 minutes from the visitors. "The first half started badly when we conceded, but happily we managed to get back into the game and draw level," he said. The 22-year-old is also taking heart from Shakhtar's strong finish to the match: "We were going forward and kept working, but now we have to focus on getting the victory at home. Winning that game is very important to us."

Captain Darijo Srna also promises that Shakhtar will be a different proposition in Donetsk. "It is a bigger pitch and we will have a big crowd for our first competitive game in Ukraine for three months, so we have a great chance," said the 27-year-old Croatian international. "It will be a different game and we only need to score once, so if we play like today but without any mistakes we will go through. I believe in this team."

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/34406/Hodgson_proud_of_famous_victory.aspx
Hodgson proud of famous victory
Fulham boss Roy Hodgson cannot believe how far his side has come after watching them beat last season's UEFA Cup winners Shakhtar Donetsk 2-1 in the first leg of their last-32 Europa League clash at Craven Cottage.

Zoltan Gera and Bobby Zamora netted for the Cottagers to leave the Premier League side with a slender advantage going into next Thursday's second leg in Ukraine.

It is all a far cry from two years ago when Fulham were staring relegation to the Championship in the face.

The veteran manager said: "We're very happy to get a victory against such a good team. It was a very exciting cup tie played in the right spirit and it was very competitive. Both teams tried to pass the ball.

"I'm pleased to have taken such an important scalp. It's a big game for Fulham and we've come an awful long way.

"If someone had said to me during my first season here when we were battling to stay in the Premier League that we'd beat Shakhtar in a couple of years, I'd have thought they were taking the mickey.

"We've done it and are very proud of it. There's an awful lot left in this tie because we saw how skilful they are, but we still have a chance to make a name for ourselves. This was a very good victory - probably our best in Europe.

"It was a wonder strike from Bobby (Zamora). He's got two feet, I don't know which is his best and neither does he.

"Apart from his typically accomplished performance as a target man setting things up and working hard, his strike was of real quality. We're now talking about a striker who has scored 14 goals in 31 starts.

"It's an excellent strike rate. I hope he can get over the 20-goal mark to crown his season."

WhiteJC

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/matches/season=2010/round=2000038/match=2000914/postmatch/report/index.html#zamora+downs+shakhtar
Zamora thunderbolt shakes Shakhtar
Fulham FC 2-1 FC Shakhtar Donetsk
A startling strike from the Cottagers' burly front-man Bobby Zamora handed the 2008/09 UEFA Cup winners a narrow defeat on the banks of the Thames.

Fulham FC extended their unbeaten run at home in European ties to 13 against the winners of the last edition of the UEFA Cup, FC Shakhtar Donetsk.

Zoltán Gera's early goal gave the hosts the perfect start before Luiz Adriano equalised, but Bobby Zamora's second-half rocket ensured Roy Hodgson's men take a slender lead into next Thursday's UEFA Europa League round of 32 return leg in Ukraine.

The Londoners opened with confidence befitting a side that had never lost at home in Europe, and Andriy Pyatov was forced to tip over Brede Hangeland's header from Danny Murphy's delivery in the first 30 seconds. Murphy again had a key role as the hosts took a third-minute lead, with his incisive through ball finding Zamora, whose lay-off played in Gera. The Hungarian's shot squirmed under Pyatov and in.

Murphy went close in the 23rd minute when his free-kick sailed just wide of Pyatov's left-hand post, but Mircea Lucescu's side recovered from their tough opening and began to pass the ball smoothly. After 31 minutes, Darijo Srna's cross-shot fizzed just wide after Răzvan Raţ's centre from the left had not cleared. Fulham's reprieve was brief: one minute later, Ilsinho sent Luiz Adriano clear and the Brazilian beat Mark Schwarzer courtesy of a sidestep and composed finish.

With few second-half chances, it took a moment of brilliance for Hodgson's side to retake the lead on 63 minutes. This time Gera set up Zamora, his delightful back-heel being smashed into the top corner by the powerful striker via the underside of the bar. Zamora almost added to his haul moments later but headed wide while unmarked. Fernandinho's late goal had rescued a draw on Shakhtar's last visit to London, against Tottenham Hotspur FC at the same stage last season, and he almost repeated the trick in added time, only for Schwarzer to parry his lofted chip and ensure Fulham held on.

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1775_5958908,00.html
More to come from Bobby - Hodgson
Roy Hodgson has challenged Bobby Zamora to smash through the 20-goal barrier after the Fulham striker sealed a 2-1 win over Shakhtar Donetsk.
In Thursday night's Europa League round-of-32 first-leg tie at Craven Cottage, Zamora headlined a commanding display against last year's UEFA Cup winners by firing a spectacular 63rd-minute winner that saw the ball smash onto the crossbar and cannon into the net.

It was his 14th strike of the season and he also set up the opener for Zoltan Gera to revive speculation over his chances of an England call-up.

Hodgson believes there is more to come from a player who has surpassed all expectations this season after almost joining Hull in the summer.

"It was a wonder strike from Bobby. He's got two feet - I don't know which is his best and neither does he," said the Fulham boss.

"We're now talking about a forward who has scored 14 goals in 31 starts.

Big-spending Shakhtar threatened to cut loose after Luiz Adriano equalised Gera's early opener, but Fulham rallied to give themselves a good chance of progressing in the competition ahead of next Thursday's second leg.

The Ukrainians, who fielded five Brazilians, played some wonderful football and threatened to overwhelm opponents fatigued by a punishing schedule.

But Fulham found a second wind after half-time and were helped by a superb stoppage-time save by Mark Schwarzer from Fernandinho

WhiteJC

http://www.footballfancast.com/football-news/hodgson-our-best-european-win?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ffc_Premiership_Blogs+%28FFC_Premiership_Blogs%29
Hodgson: our best european win

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson cannot believe how far his side has come after watching them beat last season's UEFA Cup winners Shakhtar Donetsk 2-1 in the first leg of their last-32 Europa League clash at Craven Cottage.

Zoltan Gera and Bobby Zamora netted for the Cottagers to leave the Premier League side with a slender advantage going into next Thursday's second leg in Ukraine.

It is all a far cry from two years ago when Fulham were staring relegation to the Championship in the face.

The veteran manager said:"We're very happy to get a victory against such a good team. It was a very exciting cup tie played in the right spirit and it was very competitive. Both teams tried to pass the ball.

"We've done it and are very proud of it. There's an awful lot left in this tie because we saw how skilful they are, but we still have a chance to make a name for ourselves. This was a very good victory – probably our best in Europe.

"It was a wonder strike from Bobby (Zamora). He's got two feet, I don't know which is his best and neither does he.

"Apart from his typically accomplished performance as a target man setting things up and working hard, his strike was of real quality. We're now talking about a striker who has scored 14 goals in 31 starts.

WhiteJC

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/813955-zamora-and-gera-strikes-give-fulham-europa-league-win
Zamora and Gera strikes give Fulham Europa League win
Bobby Zamora thunderbolt ensured Fulham will take a 2-1 lead to Ukraine next week for the second leg of their round of 32 tie with Shakhtar Donetsk.

The striker smashed home a 63rd-minute effort to settle the first-leg encounter at Craven Cottage. Zoltan Gera (pictured) had given the Cottagers the lead on 11 minutes after a neat move but Luiz Adriano's calm finish levelled matters before half-time.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/February/LuckyProgrammeNumberShakhtar.aspx
Lucky Programme Number
Friday 19th February 2010

The lucky programme number from Thursday night's match against Shakhtar Donetsk at the Cottage was 02364.

If you were the lucky buyer of this numbered edition then please email [email protected]| with a scan or photograph of the inside back cover as proof of your success.

The winner will receive a medium Fulham shirt, signed, as well as a signed copy of Thursday's programme.

Be sure to pick up a copy of the programme at every home game to be in with a chance of winning great Fulham prizes like these.

WhiteJC

http://www.eecho.ie/news/index.aspx?c=sport&jp=eyeygbidqley
Shorey back for Fulham

Fulham defender Nicky Shorey will return for Sunday's Barclays Premier League clash with Birmingham City at Craven Cottage.

Shorey, on loan from Aston Villa, was ineligible for the 2-1 Europa League victory over Shakhtar Donetsk but will replace Stephen Kelly at left-back against the Blues.

Paul Konchesky could figure on the bench after recovering from a foot injury, but long-term casualties Kagisho Dikgacoi (ankle), Andrew Johnson, Clint Dempsey and John Pantsil (all knee) are out.

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Zuberbuhler, Baird, Kelly, Konchesky, Stoor, Hangeland, Hughes, Smalling, Shorey, Gera, Duff, Murphy, Greening, Davies, Etuhu, Riise, Nevland, Okaka, Elm, Zamora.

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/europa-league/bobby-is-just-the-jobby-for-england
Bobby is just the jobby for England

Fulham's midfield general Danny Murphy reckons Fabio Capello should check out Bobby Zamora before deciding on his World Cup squad.

Zamora is in the best form of his career and showed his class, and growing confidence, by scoring a wonder goal and creating another as Fulham shaded a tight Europa League clash.

Whilst manager Roy Hodgson has challenged his 14-goal striker to break through the 20-goal barrier, Murphy has challenged his pal to make the step up to international level.

After the 2-1 win against Shakhtar Donetsk, last year's UEFA Cup winners, Murphy said of Zamora: "You can see his confidence is sky-high, he has got better each month with his goalscoring, confidence and all-round game.

"If he carries on the way he is, he's got to have a shout at the England squad."

Asked for the result against one of the tournament favourites, the former Liverpool midfielder added: "I thought we started brightly and got the goal, but we got a bit nervy after that. They settled down and passed the ball well and got a deserved equaliser.

"We got to grips with them a bit better in the second half and pushed them into a few errors. It was a great goal from Bobby which took the pressure off us defensively. We have got something to fight for now, it will be a great game over there."

Meanwhile, Hodgson believes there is more to come from Zamora who has surpassed all expectations this season after almost joining Hull in the summer.

"It was a wonder strike from Bobby. He's got two good feet - I don't know which is his best and neither does he.

"We're now talking about a forward who has scored 14 goals in 31 starts. It's an excellent strike rate. I hope he can get over the 20-goal mark to crown his season."

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5959106,00.html
Hodgson sets Zamora target
Fulham boss challenges striker to reach 20 goals
Fulham manager Roy Hodgson has challenged striker Bobby Zamora to reach the 20-goal mark this season and fire his side to Europa League glory.

Zamora notched his 14th of the campaign with the decisive strike in Fulham's 2-1 fist leg win over Shakhtar Donetsk in the round of 32 clash on Thursday night and Hodgson is backing the 29-year-old to reach his target.

"We're talking about a forward who has scored 14 goals in 31 starts," said Hodgson.

The former Tottenham forward came close to leaving Craven Cottage in the summer, but opted to stay and fight for his place in the starting XI.

Zamora has responded with an impressive goal haul which has increased his outside chances of an England call-up that was unthinkable at the start of the season.

Contribution
Hodgson praised Zamora's contribution against Uefa Cup holders Donetsk and was pleased to have secured a narrow advantage ahead of the second leg at the Donbass Arena next week.

"It was a wonder strike from Bobby. He's got two feet - I don't know which is his best and neither does he," added the Cottagers boss.

"It was a very exciting cup tie played in the right spirit and was very competitive. Both teams tried to pass the ball.

"We've done it and are very proud of it. There's an awful lot left in this tie because we saw how skilful they are, but we still have a chance to make a name for ourselves.

"This was a very good victory - probably our best in Europe."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/February/MirceaLucescuReaction.aspx
From the Other Side

Speaking after Thursday evening's match between Fulham and Shakhtar Donetsk, visiting manager Mircea Lucescu gave his assessment of the game.

"It is a good thing that we've got a second leg so we'll still have a chance," the Shakhtar Manager explained. "We've lost a game that we shouldn't have lost. A lack of practice coming into the game saw us concede the first goal. After that we had the game under control.

"There were a lot of chances out of which we could have scored but unfortunately we couldn't find the right solution. This was a rivalry between two different styles of game - Fulham were playing very strong passes and we based our game on technique and speed. As a result we had a spectacular game for the fans.

"Now we have to do our best to realise our potential in Donetsk and win the game. It will be very difficult because Fulham are very well organised, especially in defence. We'll definitely have to find ways to weaken their defence and create our own chances.

"We hope that the referees in Donetsk will facilitate a beautiful game and not what happened today, I'm not judging the referee - he had his own method of judgement which facilitated more physical football.

"But I congratulate Fulham, they are a great team who have a very good defence and play in a compact manner, that's why it's going to be very difficult in the second leg. I'm sure we will be in better form in Donetsk. Fulham definitely had some luck and managed to take advantage of their chances but that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate Fulham's defensive strength."   

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/February/BirminghamTravelUpdate.aspx

Birmingham Travel Update

Supporters planning on coming to this Sunday's match between Fulham and Birmingham City at Craven Cottage should note that ongoing works to Hammersmith Bridge and the London Underground could affect travel times.

Hammersmith Bridge
Work on Hammersmith Bridge will continue until March 2010, the bridge will be closed to all traffic in both directions every weekend until March 15. However, the bridge will be open to cyclists and pedestrians at all times during these works.

Circle Line, District Line and Hammersmith and City Line 
There is no service on the Circle Line on the entire line due to track replacement work this weekend.

There is no service between Edgware Road and High Street Kensington on the District Line  due to track replacement work.

There is no service between Baker Street and Hammersmith on the Hammersmith and City Line  due to track replacement work.

Your journey time could take up to 45 minutes extra. If you need any further information visit tfl.gov.uk| , phone 0843 222 1234 (24 hours) or speak to station staff.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/February/BirminghamTravelUpdate.aspx#ixzz0fyhDKfig

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8521835.stm
Fulham v Birmingham

Fulham play on Thursday in the Europa League so there's always a worry over fitness with players potentially picking up injuries. They have had their rocky spell but they now look like they are on the way back. They are still in the FA Cup and have got their form back on track.

After a fantastic run from Birmingham they are now going into the classic period of inconsistency where you are not quite sure what you are going to get.

Verdict: 2-1