watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (20.02.11)

Started by White Noise, February 20, 2011, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/football-hotline/2011/02/20/sir-alex-ferguson-ready-to-have-a-gamble-on-the-stock-exchange-with-bid-for-young-fulham-keeper-102039-22935893/

Sir Alex Ferguson ready to have a gamble on the Stock exchange with bid for young Fulham keeper

Feb 20 2011 by Dean Jones, The People

FULHAM goalkeeper David Stockdale is a shock target for Manchester United.

Old Trafford boss Sir Alex Ferguson has been checking on the 25-year-old, who was in last week's England squad despite only being second choice at Craven Cottage.

Edwin van der Sar retires in the summer and Aston Villa are set to take advantage of the uncertainty over Tomasz Kuszczak's future by lining him up as a long-term replacement for Brad Friedel.

Fergie signed Dane Anders Lindegaard in January and United have been monitoring several of Europe's top keepers, including Atletico Madrid's David De Gea, Lyon's Hugo Lloris and Maarten Stekelenburg of Ajax.

But Stockdale is high on Ferguson's wanted list, with senior Fulham figures aware of his interest.

Stockdale has been exceptional during 10 first-team appearances this term but still cannot budge Aussie veteran Mark Schwarzer.

Fulham signed the keeper from Darlington and he enjoyed a run of six matches in January while Schwarzer was on international duty at the Asia Cup.

He also saved a Nani penalty in Fulham's 2-2 draw with United in August.

Out-of-favour United keeper Kuszczak, 28, has all but admitted he will leave Old Trafford if Ferguson does not show faith in him.

He said: "I need to play regularly. I have been waiting a long time for my chance – but I still have hope."

long-term successor for soon-to-retire Edwin van der Sar, head the queue of clubs in the running for one of Europe's best keepers.

But the Spaniard's agent Manuel Garcia Quilon is to meet Liverpool's top brass next month to discuss a pay rise that will see Reina pocket £110,000 a week.

That's hugely reassuring for Kopites, who have already seen one hero-worshipped Spaniard – Fernando Torres – leave Anfield this year.

And the feelgood factor will be increased by the news Kuyt wants to finish his career on Merseyside.

The Dutchman, 30, said: "My contract has one more season to go after this but there are things happening.

"We have had some talks and I can only say it looks positive.

"I feel at home in Liverpool and I don't want to leave here.

"It has been a difficult time for everyone at the club with the changes that have happened since last summer but now I can sense something good is happening – I think Liverpool are on the way back."

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/football-hotline/2011/02/20/fulham-in-the-race-to-sign-real-madrid-s-8m-teenager-alvaro-morata-102039-22934859/

Fulham in the race to sign Real Madrid's £8m teenager Alvaro Morata

Feb 20 2011 by Alan Nixon, The People

Fulham head the queue for Real Madrid's new striking sensation Alvaro Morata – but may baulk at the price tag.

Mark Hughes' spies saw the 18-year-old score a hat-trick for Real's reserve side Castilla last weekend.

But the asking price could be £8million, which would make a deal difficult for Hughes.

BLACKBURN and EVERTON have been watching Morata's team-mate Sergio Aguza.

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/02/20/aaron-hughes-has-the-spark-to-shatter-his-fa-cup-curse-102039-22935235/

Aaron Hughes has the Spark to shatter his FA Cup curse

Feb 20 2011 by Dave Kidd, The People

AARON HUGHES insists Mark Hughes can transform him from an FA Cup nearly man into a Wembley winner.

Northern Ireland skipper Hughes, who shackled £50million Fernando Torres so effectively on Monday night, has a history of sob stories in the competition.

But he believes Sparky, who has a brilliant FA Cup pedigree, is hell-bent on bringing silverware to Fulham by playing his strongest team in every tie.

Defender Hughes (pictured) said: "The boss has been there and won the FA Cup four times as a player, so he knows what it's like and he'd love to take us to Wembley as a manager too.

"We're not going to win the Premier League, so for us the trophy to look at is the FA Cup. We've as good a chance as anyone. I know the manager wants to win it and he always puts his strongest team out. When I was at Newcastle, we got to two finals and I missed out on both of them – against Arsenal in 1998 and Manchester United in 1999.

"I played in one of the semi-finals at Old Trafford when we won but was left out for the final, and then I played at Wembley when we lost our semi-final to Chelsea in 2000.

"I've been around the camp and at the finals, but never actually been involved. To be part of the experience was great, but it was disappointing too.

"Of course it would be fantastic to be involved in one after all this time.

"Our Europa League run last season was fantastic. The atmosphere, the occasions were great for everyone. We'd love to do it on the domestic stage too."

Fulham are likely to welcome back England striker Bobby Zamora against Bolton after he was sidelined for almost six months with a broken leg.

Hughes said: "It's a boost for Bobby and a boost for us all. The sooner we get him back, the better for us all.

"He was a big influence on our team and I'm sure he still will be.

"Bobby is bubbly and doesn't appear to have let the long lay-off get to him."

Sparky is taking Fulham to Portugal tomorrow for warm weather training.

He wants his team fighting fit for next Sunday's trip to Manchester City.

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/02/20/cop-hell-finally-over-for-bolton-striker-ivan-klasnic-102039-22935234/

Cop hell finally over for Bolton striker Ivan Klasnic

Feb 20 2011

by Alan Nixon, The People

IVAN KLASNIC will be able to ­concentrate on Bolton's bid for FA Cup glory after being told he will not face a charge of rape.

The Croatian striker was arrested in October after being accused by a 17-year-old girl in Manchester.

Klasnic, 31, was released on bail pending further inquiries. No further action will be taken but the nature of the allegations and the months-long police investigation have left a mark on him during a tough spell on and off the pitch.

He was given the news during the week and an insider confirmed: "No charges are being brought.

"The Crown Prosecution Service have decided there will be no action against him in respect of this allegation."

The forward has also been struggling with injuries and had been unable to get into Owen Coyle's side. That changed with a match-winning goal in the FA Cup replay at Wigan.

Now Coyle has pledged to play Klasnic from the start again at Fulham today in the fifth round.

The Trotters boss said: "I don't think Ivan has been at his maximum, but he is getting there. The Wigan game will have done him the world of good.

"He was always going to be a very ­important player to keep at the club. We know how good a ­finisher he is.

"It has been a stop-start season for him. When he was fit we were playing well but then he got injured."

Klasnic took a drop in pay to carry on at Bolton after a successful loan spell the year before.

It was a gesture Coyle ­appreciated and one that may yet pay off for all ­concerned.

Coyle said: "When you are used to those sums you want those sums but he was prepared to take that cut.

"We had to work within our means when we were ­trying to sign him and he was ready to buy into that and take a hit.

"He still earns well but not to the extent that he had."

Coyle will be forced to shuffle his side today and push Paul Robinson to right-back ­because Sam Ricketts and Gretar Steinsson are unavailable.

He said: "Robbo has been outstanding for me – he trains every day as if it was his last and he takes that on to the pitch.

"His team-mates think the world of him – it's his enthusiasm for the game. He is a real credit to himself."

White Noise

Fulham snub Nottingham Forest's loan bid for Jonathan Greening

By Jacob Murtagh

Feb 19 2011

MARK Hughes has told Nottingham Forest that Jonathan Greening is staying at Fulham.

The Championship promotion hopefuls have been linked with a loan move for the former Manchester United and West Brom midfielder, who has been restricted to just four starts all season.

But although Hughes this week allowed Kagisho Dikagcoi and Bjorn Helge Riise leave Craven Cottage, he insists no one else will be heading out the exit door.

He said: "I'm not looking to loan Johnno out, he'll get game time with us.

"We've let two midfield players go so we don't need to let any more out.

"He's been unlucky with the form of Danny Murphy. Johnno's a very good player and he showed that when he came on in the FA Cup game [against Peterborough] and scored a goal.

"He's in my thoughts and will get game time between now and the end of the season.

"I don't want to spread ourselves too thin. Our numbers are correct now."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/02/19/fulham-snub-nottingham-forest-s-loan-bid-for-jonathan-greening-82029-28195763/#ixzz1ERt78dZf

White Noise

Sparky: I was a glory hunter at United

Published 23:00 19/02/11

By Wally Downes

Mark Hughes might have forgotten more than most current footballers know – but it now seems the Fulham boss has also lost more ­medals than some have won.

The four-time FA Cup ­winner collected three ­medals at Manchester ­United, all of which reside in the Old Trafford ­museum.

But the ­whearabouts of the fourth and final ­accolade he won at Chelsea seems to elude him.

Hughes said: "I am not too sure where my medals are. Three of them are at ­United's museum and the other is in a drawer ­somewhere I think.

"You are told as a young player that if you get to a cup final you should try to ­remember every moment, but that is impossible. In fairness, I did try.

"I think that the one thing I ­remember is my first Cup Final in 1985, against ­Everton.

"I was still walking up the steps when we picked the trophy up, so I vowed that next time I would be on the top step so if you look at every cup final since it is always, captain, goalkeeper and then me!

"I made sure I was ­always there and getting in all the pictures." Hughes's side take on Owen Coyle's ­Bolton today for a place in the quarter-finals.

Hughes has the headache of selecting which of his ­forwards will start ­after claiming he would have liked to have played ­alongside all of them.

He added: "I like to think in my career I was able to surround myself with good players and the ­players now are all good in their own right.

"I'd have no problem playing with any of them because they all bring ­something different.

"Bobby (Zamora) is a ­focal point who can also protect by using his ­physical strength. AJ (Andrew ­Johnson) is quick and plays off the ­shoulder, ­Moussa Dembele is ­technically ­excellent and Eidur ­Gudjohnsen can drop deep and probe."

Zamora is training again after his broken leg, but he is not ready for first-team action.

Simon Davies and Clint Dempsey are likely to pass late fitness tests.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-boss-Mark-Hughes-admits-he-always-tried-to-get-in-the-glory-picture-shot-when-Manchester-United-won-a-cup-final-article701995.html#ixzz1ERtvzMyc

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6764560,00.html

Hughes targets cup run

Fulham boss making Bolton clash a priority

Last updated: 19th February 2011

Hughes: Cup ambition

Mark Hughes is determined to go a long way in the FA Cup to continue his own record in the competition and help Fulham's league form.

While the FA Cup has lost some of its lustre to the Premier League and Champions League, it remains special to Hughes.

The Welshman enjoyed great success in the competition as a player, picking up four winners' medals, and he would love to experience the same glory as a manager.

The Cottagers, buoyed by an encouraging recent run in the league, entertain Bolton on Sunday in a match that Hughes will be treating as seriously as any this season.

"The competition has been very good to me in the past. It's always featured highly at different stages of my career," he said.

"I had success at Manchester United. I left and the feeling was that would be the end of my opportunity to win trophies, but I was able to go to Chelsea and win the cup there as well.

"As a manager I've reached a couple of semi-finals as well and it would be great to make that extra step this year and possibly get to the final.

Focus

"Everybody enjoyed the experience of the Europa League final last year and if we can replicate that with a Wembley final, we'd be delighted.

"It's important for us because I've always believed a good cup run helps your league form.

"We're on a good run and we want to keep that confidence high and maintain our performance levels.

"If we do that by winning another home game, which we've been doing of late, that will help us.

"We're really looking forward to the game. We want to progress.

"It's about priorities and maybe certain managers and clubs have different priorities in terms of going for Europe or trying to stay in the Premier League.

"That has changed the focus on the FA Cup from what it was years ago, but I feel if you're in a competition why not go as far as you can."

In the pictures

Hughes also revealed that he had learned a lesson from his first FA Cup final victory with Manchester United in 1985.

"You're always told when you're younger that when you get to a cup final, enjoy every moment. That's impossible, I did try," he said.

"In the first cup final against Everton in 1985 I was walking up the steps when we lifted the trophy.

"I thought that if we win it again, I'll make sure I'm on the top step when the trophy is lifted.

"If you look at every cup final since, it was always the captain, goalkeeper and me!

"I made sure I was right up there, that way I'd get in all the pictures."

Hughes added: "Three of my medals are in Manchester United's museum and the other one's in a drawer."

White Noise

http://www.arsenal.com/match-menu/3311617/youth/arsenal-yth-v-fulham-yth?tab=report

Arsenal 1-3 Fulham

FA Premier Academy League,

Saturday, February 19, 2011, 10:45

Two goals in three minutes late in the second half consigned Arsenal Under-18s to defeat at London Colney on Saturday.

Josh Pritchard fired Fulham ahead after 18 minutes but Zak Ansah grabbed an equaliser on the stroke of half-time.

The match remained in the balance until, with 15 minutes left, Marcello Trotta put the visitors in front again. Three minutes later, Arsenal defender Martin Angha put through his own net to complete the scoring.

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/02/the_ball_remains_the_same.php

The Ball Remains the Same

Posted by Phil Mison 4 hours, 1 minute ago

It's what you do with it that makes life interesting. Too many people who've never kicked one are culpable in forgetting what the game is all about.

I have been back into the past this last few days. Researching material for a feature on the Spurs double winning side of 1961, 50th anniversary thereof being celebrated this May, has caused me to look again at the origins of the Football League and the history of the FA Cup, the world's oldest organised football competition.

For those unaware of Spurs feat 50 years ago, they were the first side in 64 years to emulate Aston Villa's achievement back in 1897 of lifting the Cup and League trophies in the same season. In those far off days Villa played just 26 league fixtures, Spurs faced 42. Led by the incomparable Danny Blanchflower, the Irishman was legendary for his take on the game.

"The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind...Football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters — it's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish; it's about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom; it's about dreaming of the glory that the Double brought."

You can tell from that how Danny's career saw him viewed with suspicion by club chairmen and managers. He so nearly never made it as far as the double season. In the late 50's he took it upon himself to change tactics in the heat of a Cup semi-final. Spurs lost, Blanchflower was stripped of the captaincy - he demanded a transfer, the board just ignored him.

In the context of this week's magnificent exhibition of football at the Emirates, I was reminded of another famous Blanchlower story. Danny would surely have approved of Wednesday's game in the Champions League.

Beginning his career in England at Barnsley in 1949 coincided with the Belfast boy winning his first caps. Returning from international duty to Oakwell Danny had noticed how continental players seemed more comfortable on the ball. At Barnsley training sessions concentrated more on physical fitness and endless lapping of the ground, so he sought out the manager, traditionalist long-serving Angus Seed. Danny wanted to come back in the afternoons to 'work more with the ball.' Seed didn't like it. "With my methods you'll be hungrier for it come Saturday," he growled. "With your methods by then I'll have forgotten what it looks like," came the reply.

You could never level that charge against the players of Barcelona. Their pass and move rate mid-week was simply phenomenal, other-worldly almost, fully 50% above the average for a Premiership game. But all credit to Arsenal for not buckling, and keeping to their own principles of trying to play in the same vein. In the end they got their rewards, but the away leg will still be daunting. Did you know the Nou Camp is deliberately marked out to the maximum dimensions allowed in football. While the groundsman has strict instructions the grass must always be a precise 3 millimetres?

From the past to the present, Wednesday's game was a true classic. So how uplifting it is to read that Hughes wants Fulham to play the Barcelona way. This from one who knows in Eidur Gudjohnsen, while Hughes of course himself wore the famous azulgrana stripes in a previous era. Not a bad template is it, even if Danny's a bit long in the tooth to become the new Iniesta. Let's hope for another win with flair this Sunday in the FA Cup. A repeat of the scoreline from Rd 4 may be asking too much, but Bolton have forgotten how to beat us (one win from the last 12) and with home advantage I see only a Whites win come Sunday.

© Getty Images

We've had two days longer than Bolton to rest up, our defence, magnificent on Monday, are simply not conceding at the Cottage, and surely with the side commited to attack we'll generate more openings than we saw against Chelsea. I won't be at all surprised to see Clint bounce back with a goal, he's having that kind of season. Big question though, might we see Bobby on the bench? How great would that be, even if he's not pushed on. With strong competition for places, expect to see both Eidur and Gael getting some game time.

To conclude, I turn my pen to matters non-Fulham related and refer to my opening. UEFA this week announced sky high ticket prices for this May's Champions League Final at Wembley. Disgraceful. Please don't let me read any more twaddle from their web site about 'it's the fans who count.' A £26 pound handling charge (!) per order demands people vote with their feet and boycott this blatant profiteering. Ticketmaster have a lot to answer for, having pioneered this scam across the industry. It is the bane of my concert going calendar and I do all in my power to avoid their operation.

Platini and his featherbedded cronies in tax-sheltered Nyon might like to follow reports into the current state of English football, where one witness after another has testified the power and intransigence of the Premier League hinders reform at every turn. And that the game is heading inexorably for financial meltdown - a theme on this blog long since.

And talking of money. I have no issues with Olympic mandarins giving West Ham the green light to relocate after the 2012 Games (even though the venue will be massively under-utilised for all those Championship fixtures against the like of Coventry and Hull). What I do find staggering is that Newham Council, smack in the heart of London's most deprived community, is going to put up £60 million pounds in loans to help the Hammers move in!

This in the teeth of the most crippling economic cuts announced by any government in the past 50 years is the cruellest of burdens to be landed on one of the most miserable boroughs in the UK. Right matron, time for a lie down before Sunday's cup tie.

It's only £20, so get on down there and cheer on the Whites. Recall the same week a year ago? We started with a 4-0 romp over Notts County in the Cup (Davies, BZ, Duff and Okaka) and then had that daunting 1st leg with Shakhtar when they threatened to pass us off the pitch. It was our own 'Barcelona test.' We held firm, sneaked past them...and look where that led. 2010 Hamburg...2011 Wembley? Just don't charge me an arm and a leg for the ticket!

COYW Twitter@fulhamphil

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/02/next-up-bolton-h-in-the-fa-cup/

Next up: Bolton (h) in the FA Cup

by Tor on February 19, 2011

I'm quite surprised I'm writing this. When we were drawn against Spurs, I thought it'd be a repeat of last season; a home draw followed by a defeat at White Hart Lane. I'm not naturally a pessimistic person but I do like to manage my expectations. So much so that I actually made plans for this weekend which have had to be hastily rearranged to accommodate tomorrow's match. That'll learn me.

Our opponents for tomorrow were decided late on Wednesday evening when the rest of the world was fawning over the frankly beautiful football being played at the Emirates. Despite my best intentions to watch Bolton fight Wigan for the right to come to Craven Cottage, the internet scuppered my plans. By the sounds of things I didn't miss much. Wigan had few chances and Bolton struggled to convert most of theirs. A solitary goal from Klasnic in the second half was all it took to decide the tie. So it's Bolton, minus injured ex-Fulham defender Zat Knight (anybody see that injury against Everton? It looked AWFUL) and the cup-tied goal-machine Daniel Sturridge (phew), standing between us and the quarter final.

I'd imagine most Fulham fans wanted Wigan. I know I did. We've already beaten them at our place this season and they're lower in the league than us, so there'd be a greater air of confidence going into the match which would hopefully translate to a good, winning performance from "the boys". Instead, we play a team who have yet to visit the important team in SW6 – our home league game against Bolton isn't for another 2 months – so they are somewhat of an unknown force on our turf, and the away tie at the start of the season yielded no goals for either team. They're a good side playing good football and their league position of 8th confirms that. Fortunately for us their away form isn't great, in fact it's only marginally better than ours with two away wins. There are some injury concerns as well. I've already mentioned Big Zat who is out for around 6 weeks with knee ligament damage, but another defender, Sam Ricketts, is out for the rest of the season after suffering an Achilles injury. I seem to remember Ricketts playing well against us at the Reebok last year so that's a big loss for boss Owen Coyle, who will now need to bring two possibly less experienced squad members to join stalwarts Gary Cahill and Paul Robinson. Arguably there was a potential issue with the defence before it was hit by injury as suggested by a stat from OptaJoe – Jussi Jaaskalainen made the most saves (135) in 2010. Lucky he's a decent 'keeper. They've still got some good attacking options though, in the form of captain Kevin Davies and Johann Elmander, and their midfield certainly isn't too shy to convert the odd opportunity with Muamba, Holden and Petrov all finding the net this season.

We're doing alright though, aren't we? Hughes and Hangeland continue to be the best centre-back pairing in the Barclays Premier League and Baird is putting in some great shifts at both left and right back. Not at the same time obviously. He's not that good. The match against Chelsea suggested that Salcido may have shaken off his wobbly patch so could well make another start tomorrow. That leaves Pantsil on the bench, perhaps with Kelly who was recalled to the squad on Monday. Dickson Etuhu is back in training but won't be fit enough to make an appearance, and Dempsey is a doubt with a "sore toe". That should give us a midfield of Captain Dan, in-form Damien Duff, the excellent Steve Sidwell and... dare I say it.... Zoltan Gera with perhaps Greening on the bench. We're still a little limited upfront so it's probably safe to assume that Andy Johnson and Moussa Dembele will both start. They seem to complement each other well, although those of you who follow my (excellent) Twitter commentary during matches will know that I sometimes worry that Dembele plays more like a midfielder than a striker. He does tend to sit quite far back leaving AJ on his own. When we have a reasonably attacking-minded midfield such as we have, I don't feel there's a need for Dembele to go and join them. To be fair though, I'm neither a professional footballer nor a qualified coach so I'll trust him to do what he needs to. For now.

I can't see this being the most exciting game ever but I don't think it'll be a draw. We'll possibly just do it, but only by one goal. Lawro predicts a 2-1 home win and, for a change, I'll agree with him. I'll be wearing my lucky earrings just in case though.

Do you agree? Or do you think it'll be another thriller?

White Noise

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/a-slice-of-cottage-loaf

A slice of Cottage Loaf.

Date: Saturday 19th February 2011

Another trip to the land of equal opportunity.

Author Info

TANGODANCER

Total Posts: 25062

Total Articles: 199

Who exactly are the real Mighty Whites? Tottenham think they are, and Fulham also claim the title. Let's put the record straight then: There's only one team of Mighty Whites and it's Bolton Wanderers. All the more reason then to beat any pretenders and show them who the title truly belongs to. Rather unfortunately our warriors won't be able to wear our battle surplices with pride this weekend as the home shirts rule means the opposition get to do it. That said, after the match our lads will still be the Mighty Whites regardless of any soft southerners who claim differently. Thus, the Mighty Whites even in black are still the one and only Whites. Sorted.That fact out of the way, we follow the south-eastern compass needle and head into that land of make believe; the land of level pegging, Craven Cottage. With a hint of respect surrounding the ground and the local parishioners not exactly having Neanderthal tags despite where they live, football should be the order of the day. To battle then:

Bolton and Fulham associate with drawn results the way fish associate with chips and West Ham fans associate with delusion. An Ivan Klasnic special against Wigan - a cup match as well supported by the home fans as a pair of crotch-hanger jeans on a style conscious student- sees the Whites on their travels to the land of the Cottagers on the Sabbath, by which time such extravaganzas as United facing the might of the Crawley minnows will be all done and dusted. This one won't be any joyride, if past encounters are any benchmark to go by, and a tasty fixture should be on the cards at this stage of the F.A.Cup jousting match.

With a rather sad scenario facing us in our rear ranks due to the injuries of Zat Knight ( a view not shared by all since Sam Wheater looks a promising substitution) and Sam Rickets, OC is now faced with a right back dilemma and a wing and a prayer that central defence remains intact from further assault. Will he move our resident bulldog over to his unfamiliar side and let young Alonso loose at left rear, as against Wigan, or will he opt for attempting to slot somebody in at right back ? It's a problem he could no doubt well do without right now, indeed anytime. My own (disputed) view is that we could let Muamba the mauler loose there due to his ability to tackle and a fair infusion of pace. His crossing ablilities however, are seen by some to be on a par with with a geriatric walking across the M6. We await breathlessly.

Fulham are not to be scoffed at and, after having beaten Newcastle and the mighty Scousers, drawn with Villa and Wigan, and somehow kept a rampant Chelsea attack at bay they may well see our front runners as less of a challenge. Our three-in-three current local hero can't play due to being cup-tied, thus reducing our strike threat to Elmo, KD and Ivan the terrible, with probably Robbie Blake in abeyance. With frontal assault for the homers almost certainly carried out by the likes of Clint Dempsey, Andy Johnson, Simon Davies and possibly the ex-Whites hero, Eidur Gudjonson , ably backed by Danny Murphy, Duff and Zoltan Gera, twill be nothing less than a hard encounter. One source had Dempsey as doubtful, Davies too, yesterday,with Dembele up front, but with managerial pre-match information usually being as genuine as an Anne Robinson wink, sure enough, this morning's news has them both able to play. Surprise, surprise. Subs are listed as from: Etheridge, Stockdale, Kelly, Briggs, Halliche, Greening, Gudjohnsen, Gera, Davies, Kamara, Kakuta.

Might our own bench throw up any surprises? Our recent form is somewhat encouraging and if we can just shore up the last third we may well emerge victorious. Then again....we may not. For certain we could well do without any replays or extra time at this bare-bones stage of our season. We may just manage to get some favourable media mention should we win, although that isn't worth mortgaging the house on in any way at all.

Fulham showed highlights of the Chelsea game on their club website and it wasn't exactly flattering to them as it was just wave after wave of Chelsea attacks and missed chances. This might give rise to hope that we can cut their defence to bits the way the Blues did. One thing is for sure; what chances we create we'll have to take and hope our defence hasn't been too weakened by recent disasters. Will the real Mighty Whites please stand up.

Prediction: The usual 0-0's and 1-1's will finally disappear in a flurry of goals, preferably at least two more to us than them. 4-1 the lads, with my supposed, sudden attack of arthritis actually being due to all the crossed fingers and toes.

White Noise

http://bolton.theoffside.com/team-news/fulham-v-bolton.html

Fulham v. Bolton

By: Matilda | February 19th, 2011

Well this fixture should prove to be at least moderately more entertaining. This weekend, thanks to a replay victory over Wigan, we're playing Fulham at Craven Cottage, hoping to advance to the sixth round of the FA Cup. As Mark put it, we should "expect some hot American on American action" from this match with both Clint Dempsey and Stu Holden playing. The last two meetings with Fulham ended in goalless draws, although I really doubt this one will.

While Fulham's league form has been less than excellent, it's hard to argue with their cup run. The last round saw them beat Spurs 4-0, while the round before that, they sent Peterborough out 6-2. They've been averaging a goal every 17 minutes at home in domestic cup games this season. Clearly, Fulham ain't nothin' to mess wit. This is in addition to the fact that their squad is at pretty much full strength, as Clint Dempsey is expected to make his return. Bolton have an awful record at Craven Cottage having only won once in our past 13 matches there.

This coupled with our newly formed back line makes me really worry about this game. With Knight and Ricketts adding their name to the injury list, we now have exactly four first team defenders, and no natural right backs. This means the highly esteemed Paul Robinson will drafted into right back, with the unexperienced Marcos Alonso getting the start on the left. We probably will not be keeping a clean sheet (something we've failed to do at Craven cottage since 1990), which means it's up to our strikers to regain form, and quick. Due to the handicap of a back line, Coyle will probably field a relatively strong team otherwise. He has apparently talked to his players about how important the cup is, so I'm hoping he'll follow through on it. It's a winnable match, but by no means an easy one. Come on you White Men!

White Noise

http://mobile.mkdons.com/runtime/mkdons/article?articleId=2296460

MATCH PREVIEW: HARTLEPOOL AWAY

Posted on: Fri 18 Feb 2011

On Saturday 19th February the Dons travel to Hartlepool United looking to bounce straight back from two home games that yielded just one point.

However, they will make the long trip to the north-east knowing having enjoyed a sharp up-turn in away form, having collected two wins and three draws from their last five outings away from stadiummk, correcting a start to the season that saw them win just once from their first seven games on the road.

Saturday's hosts currently in twelfth position in the League 1 table, five points behind the ninth-placed Dons but with two games in hand.

Having looked back on Tuesday night's defeat to Leyton Orient, Dons boss Karl is now seeing the positives ahead of Saturday's trip to 'Pools.

He said: "On reflection it was a very good performance but there's no point in having that performance without the three points.

"As much as all the statistics were in our favour and we did everything within our power to win the game, we just didn't take our chances.

"When they came along at key parts of the game we could have taken a two goal lead at 1-0 and 2-1 but we didn't and when you're only one goal ahead there's always a chance that the other team can equalise and when you're playing against good teams, if they're level they can always nick one and get all three points.

"I was happy with the response - I've looked at the tape again and after all three goals they've scored, we've had a chance to score almost straight away so our positivity remained very high but at the end of the day silly errors cost us."

Recent weeks have seen the Dons suffer with a number of injuries and suspensions, forcing Karl to have to re-think selection on a number of occasions.

However, with a couple of players now returning in time for Saturday's match, the Dons boss is feeling more positive.

He added: "Preparations for Saturday are getting better - I'm still disappointed that I can't settle the back four in and its hard when you have to keep changing a pivotal part of your team.

"Everyone always says you build good teams on your back four and the rest of it is just putting people into place.

"We're working on a few things, we've got a few players coming back to fitness and a couple of players whose suspensions are now complete.

"Obviously Gary MacKenzie is now back in contention for Saturday and the longer that keeps going, the longer we keep these players fit and not suspended, the better chance we'll have to keep this high level of performance and stop conceding those silly goals that we have these recent weeks.

"Danny Woodards trained today (Thursday), so we're waiting to see how he recovers and then Mathias Doumbe didn't train today as he's been ill.

"It looks like we might have a bit of illness in the camp as Jabo Ibehre had to come off with it on Tuesday night and we're going there still without Sam Baldock and Aneglo Balanta so we'll just have to wait and see how the illnesses come on over the next 24 hours."

Having reduced the size of the squad over the January transfer window, the Dons have worked hard to bring in loan players who can make an impact immediately.

Perhaps the best example of this is Fulham youngster Keanu Marsh-Brown, who has been excellent in his first games for the Dons, something Karl is well aware of.

He continued: "Keanu Marsh-Brown has had a good couple of weeks; everyone knows I just love wingers!

"I just have this burning desire to play with width and keep wingers in the game - players like Daniel Powell, Keanu, Angelo - the Chairman gets so frustrated with me because every time I come to him with a player he says: "Not another winger!" but I want to play with width - with energy and enthusiasm and Keanu is one of them.

"He gives us great width, he gives us great pace - he can get in behind, he can play short or he can come inside and play between the lines. He's a very young player but one who plays with a very experienced head and I'm sure Fulham have got a very bright prospect there and I'm sure he'll play at a very high level and sustain it as well because he's got a very good work ethic.

"He's fitted in very well here and he's moved into the club house where he's got the older, more experienced players like Rowan Vine and Stephen Hughes looking after him like father figures and I'm sure with them helping him and feeding him he'll only get better."

And speaking of Rowan Vine, Karl moved quickly to extend the QPR forward's loan at stadiummk, keeping him with the Club until mid-march, giving him more time to continue getting match fit and bringing some undoubted quality to the Dons front line.

Karl said: "Rowan Vine is still getting fitter - he shouldn't have played the full ninety minutes on Tuesday but after losing Jabo I needed to keep strikers on the pitch.

"Viney had nothing left in the tank for the last ten minutes but I didn't want to make a negative substitution by having to bring on a holding midfield player for a forward.

"I want to keep forwards on the pitch, especially when you're chasing games but he showed the quality he's got - he retained the ball really well.

"He is a few steps ahead of people sometimes and he maybe needs to realise sometimes that he needs to play his way into the game a little bit better and he's got to get himself up to the level a bit quicker or sometimes he'll find himself falling a little short but I believe in him.

"He's a very talented player and I'm very pleased to retain him for the next month."

White Noise

Cup Momentum

Sunday 20th February 2011

Fulham face Bolton Wanderers at Craven Cottage in the Fifth Round of the FA Cup sponsored by E.ON on Sunday, and with a place in the Quarter-Finals awaiting the victors, Aaron Hughes is hoping to see Fulham's name in the final eight.

"We've got a chance, all we could hope for is a home draw and that's what we got," Hughes told fulhamfc.com. "We know it will still be a tough test, Bolton will be looking at it the same way. It should be a good game but if we show the same sort of work ethic and commitment and play the way we have been playing over recent weeks, we've got as good a chance as any.

"I've been to a couple of finals with Newcastle but I never played, I was only in the squad. But I was young then so just to be around it and be part of the experience was fantastic. We know what kind of an occasion a cup final can be having got to the Europa League final last season – to do it on the domestic stage would be good too.

"We were just taking it a game at a time [last season], and that's what we've been doing lately. Going through that transitional stage, we've been getting the bits and pieces right.

"I think there are things we can do better, that was the case last season as well even though we had a really good season. We could probably look at every game and say there are things we could do better.

"Slowly but surely we're starting to gain a bit of momentum. The game on Sunday will be no different; it's just the next game to keep our run going."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/AaronHughesFACupPreview.aspx#ixzz1EUHHaGJe