watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Lauri Dalla Valle

Started by Ron Sheepskin, February 20, 2011, 07:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sheepskin

I got all excited when the players were warming up and LDV was there. Sadly not on the bench, but I think it's the first step on the road. I couldn't tell from where I was who the other non-bencher he was warming up with was (wearing no 33 which also didn't help me) Anyone know?  :032:
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

MJG

Peabody

I wondered who he was, did he have No 36 on his shorts and very blond hair?

Ron Sheepskin

Yup, that was Dalla Valle - I have to thank Sheepskin Junior, my eyesight ain't as good as his...
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

Mr Fulham

#33? Don't know....

#28 is Briggs
#31 is Saunders
#32 is Hoesen
#36 is Dalla Valle
#37 is Kacaniklic
#38 is Etheridge

If he looked like Briggs (who I think is still injured), it could have been Danny Hoesen, who recently returned from a long-term injury and starred in his recent Reserve team outings...

White Noise

If you are in Hughes position you have surely got to be thinking about your end of season report to the board.

What has he achieved this season - or what might he achieve by May? He will not have a lot to show for his first season in charge unless he bloods a few youngsters and can point to bringing talent through and saving money for the club.

Marcello Trotta sounds like he is closest to the breakthrough in  terms of goals scored but it must be significant that Dalla Valle is getting involved in matchday preparation.

MJG

For next season we have to put together a squad of about 18-20 first XI players and then use the youth.
The amount of money we spend on the youth setup and return is poor. I would be willing next year to give youth a go. I would rather dump players like riise etc and use youngsters for the four or five games these fringe players play.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: MJG on February 22, 2011, 09:20:53 AM
For next season we have to put together a squad of about 18-20 first XI players and then use the youth.
The amount of money we spend on the youth setup and return is poor. I would be willing next year to give youth a go. I would rather dump players like riise etc and use youngsters for the four or five games these fringe players play.

I have increasingly come round to this point of view. A team like Fulham should have a starting XI and seven subs who are all seasoned pro's but beyond that should be limiting money spent on squad players. This is where the youth 'should' be coming in. As mentioned above, why not give the youngsters a run out? After Riise's pretty diabolical performances this season, could the youth have done any worse?

MJG

Now I mention riise and I quite like him, but we have a number of squad players who are just picking up cheques, they get a game here and there or ten minutes as a sub.
A waste of time now in my view, which has changed from having as big a squad of players as possible. But I want to see some youngsters progress, enough of the steady Eddie pro's we buy for the squad let's be brave next season and go with youth/pace.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: MJG on February 22, 2011, 09:35:55 AM
Now I mention riise and I quite like him, but we have a number of squad players who are just picking up cheques, they get a game here and there or ten minutes as a sub.
A waste of time now in my view, which has changed from having as big a squad of players as possible. But I want to see some youngsters progress, enough of the steady Eddie pro's we buy for the squad let's be brave next season and go with youth/pace.

And then recoil at the fury of supporters enraged that the kids aren't good enough and disgusted at the club's lack of ambition.

Young players need to be played only if and when the manager thinks they are ready. Hughes has never been unwilling to bring kids on but it has to be based on judgement as to their capabilities not the vague notion that playing kids is good of itself.

In recent years we've given opportunities to quite a few all of whom have sunk quickly into lower league or non league.

There's an argument to say that our academy hasn't been good enough and maybe still isn't but we really can't be experimenting with youngsters just because they're young.

TonyGilroy

And if experienced internationals like Riise and Eddie Johnson aren't good enough (which they aren't) doesn't that confirm the incredibly high standard necessary to succeed in the Premier League.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: TonyGilroy on February 22, 2011, 10:35:01 AM

And if experienced internationals like Riise and Eddie Johnson aren't good enough (which they aren't) doesn't that confirm the incredibly high standard necessary to succeed in the Premier League.

But where is the line drawn between opportunity to succeed and initial talent to succeed?

I used to firmly believe that the youngsters should wait but watching eddie and Riise this season has made me just think why could we not blood a youngster who costs 1/10th of what these lads cost and let him get some experience? They may do sweet fa, but then so have Riise and Eddie.

This is more of a fiscal thing for me - Driving down Fulhams wages on squad players alllows for better first teamers.

TonyGilroy

Youngsters may be more inept at this level than we think. Remember Malik Bauri playing 45 minutes against Newcastle having done well in a pre season friendly against, I think, Torquay.

He was utterly lost and never played again.

A young player who may have the potential to succeed could have his confidence wrecked if he's brought in too early.

It's always a big judgement call for the manager.

I'm all for young players being given opportunities. I really want academy kids to succeed. We though aren't in a position to decide who is ready and when.

MJG

Quote from: TonyGilroy on February 22, 2011, 10:32:58 AM
Quote from: MJG on February 22, 2011, 09:35:55 AM

And then recoil at the fury of supporters enraged that the kids aren't good enough and disgusted at the club's lack of ambition.

Young players need to be played only if and when the manager thinks they are ready. Hughes has never been unwilling to bring kids on but it has to be based on judgement as to their capabilities not the vague notion that playing kids is good of itself.

In recent years we've given opportunities to quite a few all of whom have sunk quickly into lower league or non league.

There's an argument to say that our academy hasn't been good enough and maybe still isn't but we really can't be experimenting with youngsters just because they're young.
Its a difficult subject but if you look at our squad and the number of apperances players have made, out of the 25 man squad named at the start of the season there is an argument to be made that you could lose 5 of them and move some youngsters up.
We will never know really if they can make it without giving them a chance. I'm not talking of throwing them in for 5 or ten games on the trott, but an apperance here and there just as the reserve squad players are making.
look at the squad we have of attackers at the moment, we could and should lose a number of them in the summer leaving us with 4 out and out attackers. A club our size does not require anymore than that.
You say the manager and coaches see them every day and would know if they can make it, lets be hones we see first team squad players who should be gone. If the youth are worse than them we should just close the academy down and just buy in squad players full stop.
I'm not saying just play any old youth player but it does seem from reports from the club and people I know who watch the youngsters that we have as good a crop of players as we have ever had.We will never know how good they are till they play on the big stage, some players need a stage to perform.

Burt

I agree with Tony.

There is a fine line to be drawn between experimenting with youth on the one hand, and not destroying theire confidence  by bringing them in too early on the other.

Some managers have a real gift for managing this balance. Wenger comes to mind. He uses a combination of loaning and the League Cup to bring his young 'uns along.

We have to assume that Mark Hughes is more knowledeable about these things than we are, and will bring them in at the right time.

My hope is that we do have some quality bubbling up, and that once we are relatively safe we will start to see one or two of them being given a run out.

zzamora

I rate the boy highly. Was very excited when we first signed him and although i didn't realize it was him warming up (thought it was gudjohnson!) i still hope he gets a few 10 minute games in the PL

King_Crud

in FM08 i signed Dalla Valle for my Cambridge Utd squad who had just been promoted to the premier league. He was a star for me for a number of year. As we all know Football Manager is always correct, so I predict big things for the boy.

Sheepskin Junior

Quote from: Ron Sheepskin on February 20, 2011, 09:53:08 PM
Yup, that was Dalla Valle - I have to thank Sheepskin Junior, my eyesight ain't as good as his...
Yes it is
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507