watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (25/02/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 25, 2011, 08:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1409330_manchester_city_v_fulham_preview

Manchester City v Fulham: Preview

February 25, 2011

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini has warned Blues fans not to expect a three-pronged strike force of Carlos Tevez, Edin Dzeko and Mario Balotelli all the time.

The Blues forwards worked well in the 3-0 Europa League victory over Aris Salonika, with Dzeko netting a brace.

But ahead of the Fulham game Mancini said: "I thought we did well and in the first half I was very pleased.

"The problem comes when we don't have the ball. If we don't close down every situation, it could be difficult for us.

"We can play this formation, but not often, unless we improve."

City have a number of fitness worries ahead of the game. Star centre back Vincent Kompany (hip) is rated as 50-50 after taking a knock against Aris. Micah Richards (calf), James Milner (hamstring) and Dedryck Boyata (hamstring) will all miss Sunday's game but should be back in training early next week.

Nigel de Jong (ankle) is still about a week away from a return.

If Kompany does not make it, Kolo Toure should come in to partner Joleon Lescott at centre back, with Jerome Boateng continuing at right back.

Fulham will be without Steve Sidwell for the game after he picked up a knee injury. Bobby Zamora (ankle), Philippe Senderos (back) and Diomansy Kamara (back) are all doubts, although Zamora is expected to make the game.

The game marks a return to Eastlands for former Blues boss Mark Hughes.

Manchester City (from): Hart, Boateng, K Toure, Lescott, Kolarov, Y Toure, Kompany, Barry, Silva, Tevez, Balotelli, Dzeko, Taylor, Zabaleta, Milner, Wright-Phillips, Vieira, Jo, Nimely

Fulham (from): Schwarzer, Baird, Hughes, Hangeland, Salcido, Duff, Murphy, Dempsey, Johnson, Dembele, Stockdale, Kelly, Pantsil, Gera, Davies, Zamora, Gudjohnsen

City league form: WLDWL

Fulham league form: WLDWL

Key opponent: Bobby Zamora - can be inconsistent but dangerous when on his game

Prediction: City 2 Fulham 1 - Fulham are tough to beat and City's squad is stretched, but the Blues should still have enough firepower at home

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/02/back_to_the_coalface.php

Back to the Coalface

Posted by Phil Mison 5 hours, 4 minutes ago

The boys have been on the Algarve for a break from winter. Let's hope they return with a considerable upturn in performance levels for the tricky trip to Eastlands.

The week has been flat after the disappointing fashion in which we limply exited the FA Cup last Sunday. For the first time this season I've been scratching my head for something to blog, seeing no point in dwelling on the Bolton loss. Nice though a run to the final would have been, Premiership survival is paramount, and there's still work to be done. A glance at the remaining fixtures - especially if we can't find another win on the road, shows little margin for error.

Previewing the cup tie, I failed to account for the absence of Kakuta and Gudjohnsen, assuming both would be available. Once Duff was deemed unfit we quickly went back to our pre-Christmas profile of having no width and a rather nondescript bench. That underlines how fine a line we are treading. Sunday was then compounded by a number of regulars collectively deciding to have an off day. We're all up in arms for the club to hold on to Gera, then he turns in a stinker. I see the knives have quickly come out again for AJ - I have to say he's starting to run out of time to begin paying back the record transfer fee the club laid out for him.

As predicted, we did finally get the chance to welcome back big Bobby. The worry going forward, again a theme I have already blogged, is how will the return of the target man impact our tactical approach, and will we only be mounting expectations on his shoulders for an instant goal return? In other words, do we get the BZ of last year's vintage, or the flat plonk of two season ago?

Hughes vision for Fulham going forward remains a work in progress. The rush to panic buy last month was resisted, but there are still too many ageing legs in the side. I've never been a huge Davies fan and was staggered to see him offered a long contract extension last summer. Duff's poor form this season has been a major handicap in attack, and Danny is ever closer to running out of gas. If Salcido's forays up the flank have been reigned back we are seriously lacking the guile to get behind sides who come to the Cottage intent on defending and niggle. Bolton set out their stall perfectly, and with weakness from ref Attwell, got their reward. Let's make certain we put that right in the league fixture.

As for the Eastlands trip. I've not factored in a point from this one, so anything but a loss will be a major bonus. City are not invincible and won't win the title, while Mancini reckons he only has 16 fit players. Trouble is, Tevez so loves scoring against us he could play us on his own. We have very fond memories of this fixture, but I think another blank awayday is on the cards. I will be very interested to see how the team is set up. According to the physio room update as of this weekend Fulham have NO injured players in their ranks - but Sky are reporting doubts over Sidwell and Zamora for Sunday.

In a slow week for news I must mention how awful Man U's Champions League tie in Marseille was - as dire as the previous week's entertainment at Arsenal was scintillating. In a very average season for the 'best league in the world,' how apt that a rather ordinary (by their standards) United are going to take the title. I recall being struck by how thin the English talent pool now is from the recent squad assembled for the Denmark game. It bodes ill for England's fortunes on the world stage, and is the inevitable payback for the imports that continue to flood our teams.

Consider this startling fact. In more than a decade of unlimited resources and the 'best of everything' over at Chelsea, the club's academy has failed to produce a single home grown player of note since John Terry, who debuted in 1999.

And on the theme of ills that continue to afflict the game, commiserations for all those inconvenienced by the crass decision to move the Blackpool fixture by 24 hours. How many of our overseas fans had long made their arrangements for this game? Yes, the financial logic brooks no argument. TV money for the live rights on the Sunday afternoon outweighs any losses at the gate, but it's the loyal fans who once again pay the price of seeing our game prostituted to the Sky moguls.

Well done to the Orient for cashing in big time with a replay against Arsenal. Great to see club owner Barry Hearn, who as a trained accountant has spent many miserable seasons sweating to keep the club solvent, loving his chance to big it up on TV. And honouring his pledge to fly the team out to Vegas as a reward! Maybe Fulham should have dangled the same carrot with their break to Portugal?

COYW! Twitter@fulhamphil

White Noise

http://www.setanta.com/ien/Articles/2011/2/25/Bobby-blow-for-Cottagers/gnid-89159/

Preview: Man City v Fulham (Sun)

by Setanta Staff , 25 February 2011  comment

Roberto Mancini is hoping Vincent Kompany can shake off a hip injury ahead of Manchester City's visit of Fulham on Sunday.

The Belgium international defender picked up the injury during City's 3-0 win against Aris Salonika in the Europa League last-32 second leg tie at Eastlands.

And while boss Mancini is waiting to see how serious the problem is, it seems unlikely that Kompany will be fit to face the Cottagers this weekend.

"We won't know what has happened until tomorrow when we see what the situation is," said Mancini.

"We have a lot of injuries at the moment, so I hope it is not serious and he will be available for Sunday."

Kolo Toure will deputise for Kompany if he fails to make the game, while Jerome Boateng is also capable of filling the void in the centre of defence.

Stuart Taylor will provide cover to first-choice keeper Joe Hart in the absence of shoulder injury victim Shay Given, while Micah Richards and James Milner are set to miss out with respective calf and hamstring problems.

Nigel de Jong and Adam Johnson's ankle injuries will see them miss out too.

Fulham have been hit by the news that Bobby Zamora could miss Sunday's trip to after going over on his ankle in training.

The Cottagers hitman has only just returned to action following a five-month lay-off due to a broken leg. And, as boss Mark Hughes was all set to pitch Zamora in for a first start since September at Eastlands, the injury he picked up on Friday morning appears to have scuppered those plans.

The influential hitman will now undergo a fitness test on Sunday.

Fulham will also be without January signing Steve Sidwell, who has been ruled out for four weeks after damaging knee ligaments. Philippe Senderos and Diomansy Kamara will also miss Sunday's match with back problems.

Manchester City (from): Hart, Taylor, Zabaleta, Boateng, K Toure, Kompany, Kolarov, Lescott, Wright-Phillips, Vieira, Y Toure, Silva, Barry, Tevez, Dzeko, Balotelli, Jo, Boyata.

Fulham (from): Schwarzer, Stockdale, Pantsil, Hangeland, Hughes, Baird, Briggs, Etuhu, Davies, Murphy, Duff, Dempsey, Gudjohnsen, Kakuta, Gera, Dembele, Salcido, Greening, Johnson, Zamora, Halliche.

White Noise

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6778256/Hughes-defends-City-purchases

Hughes defends City purchases

Friday 25th February 2011 16:41

Fulham boss Mark Hughes has defended his transfer record at Manchester City, insisting he brought three of their best players to the club.

Hughes will return to Eastlands for the first time since he was sacked just over a year ago when Fulham face City in the Premier League on Sunday.

The 47-year-old spent millions trying to fulfil the lofty ambitions of City's owners when Sheikh Mansour bought the club two and a half years ago.

Roberto Mancini has done the same since replacing Hughes and has also undertaken something of a cull of players recruited by his predecessor, with the likes of Robinho sold and Emmanuel Adebayor, Roque Santa Cruz, Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bridge all out on loan.

But Hughes on Friday rubbished suggestions his transfer policy had been flawed, saying: "We had to very quickly move in the market and bring in better players and stronger players, and that's what we did.

"If you look at the City side now, I would suggest some of their main performers, and strongest, are the likes of Vincent Kompany, Nigel de Jong and Carlos Tevez. They've had a huge impact for City.

"Along the way, some purchases haven't worked for whatever reasons, not really in terms of the ability those players have, but because of circumstances and the thinking of the management team and the coaches.

"And that happens when there's a change in management."

Hughes refused to be drawn on whether Mancini's overhaul had made City a stronger side.

"It's not for me to judge," he said. "I think they're very strong. Obviously, they're making inroads into the top four in terms of Champions League football, which is what they need.

"And they'll go very close this year, I'm sure. But, in terms of their overall development (and) are they further down the road or behind the targets they set themselves, I don't know.

"You'd have to ask other people that."

Today was the third time this season Hughes has had to answer questions about his demise at City, having been quizzed at his unveiling as manager and before November's 4-1 defeat to Mancini's side at Craven Cottage.

Reiterating he felt no lingering bitterness towards his former club over the way he was treated, he nevertheless admitted he had a score to settle regarding the manner of his new side's loss at the end of last year.

Speaking about that match he said: "We couldn't afford to have anybody not fully committed.

"What happened on the day, I think, some were, some weren't, some showed a little bit of apprehension in what we were trying to do.

"We've moved on from that. We're better now in terms of understanding what we have to do. As a consequence, we expect a much-improved performance and result."

Fulham will travel north refreshed from a mid-season training camp in Portugal, but their injury curse has also struck again with Bobby Zamora a doubt after twisting his ankle in training this morning.

"We're just going to have to see if that settles down quickly enough for him to be involved," Hughes said of the striker, who only returned from five months out with a broken leg on Sunday.

Steve Sidwell also damaged knee ligaments this week and will spend four weeks on the sidelines.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6778305,00.html

Hughes demands full commitment

Boss eyeing better performance after 4-1 drubbing at hands of City

Last updated: 25th February 2011

Hughes: Heading back to Eastlands

Mark Hughes is demanding a much improved performance as Fulham seek to gain revenge on his old club Manchester City.

The Cottagers crashed to a 4-1 home defeat to the Premier League big-spenders in November, with Zoltan Gera netting a late consolation after City had gone 4-0 up after just 56 minutes.

Hughes believes some of his side were not fully committed that day and he expects a much better performance on Sunday as he heads to Eastlands for the first time since he was sacked just over a year ago.

The Fulham boss said: "We couldn't afford to have anybody not fully committed (against City at Craven Cottage).

"What happened on the day, I think, some were, some weren't, some showed a little bit of apprehension in what we were trying to do.

"We've moved on from that. We're better now in terms of understanding what we have to do. As a consequence, we expect a much improved performance and result."

But their cause has not been helped by the news that returning striker Bobby Zamora is a doubt after twisting his ankle in training on Friday morning.

"We're just going to have to see if that settles down quickly enough for him to be involved," Hughes said of the forward, who only returned from five months out with a broken leg in the FA Cup defeat to Bolton last Sunday.

Defended record
Meanwhile, the Fulham boss has defended his transfer record while in charge at City after spending millions trying to fulfil the lofty ambitions at the club following Sheikh Mansour's takeover two and a half years ago.

Current City boss Roberto Mancini has undertaken something of a cull of players recruited by his predecessor, with the likes of Robinho sold and Emmanuel Adebayor, Roque Santa Cruz, Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bridge all out on loan.

But Hughes has rubbished suggestions his transfer policy had been flawed, insisting he brought three of their best players to Eastlands.

He said: "We had to very quickly move in the market and bring in better players and stronger players, and that's what we did.

"If you look at the City side now, I would suggest some of their main performers, and strongest, are the likes of Vincent Kompany, Nigel de Jong and Carlos Tevez. They've had a huge impact for City.

"Along the way, some purchases haven't worked for whatever reasons, not really in terms of the ability those players have, but because of circumstances and the thinking of the management team and the coaches.

"And that happens when there's a change in management."

Hughes also refused to be drawn on whether Mancini's overhaul had made City a stronger side.

"It's not for me to judge," he said. "I think they're very strong. Obviously, they're making inroads into the top four in terms of Champions League football, which is what they need.

"And they'll go very close this year, I'm sure. But, in terms of their overall development (and) are they further down the road or behind the targets they set themselves, I don't know.

"You'd have to ask other people that."

White Noise

http://www.joe.ie/football/football-features/premier-league-five-things-to-look-out-for-20-0010007-1

Surprise Package: Fulham

The statistics would suggest that Fulham don't have it in them to cause a shock against Manchester City at Eastlands on Sunday. Continuing on the theme of dreadful away form that was established under Roy Hodgson, the Cottagers have been dreadful on the road this season, with only one win and eight points from thirteen games.

The reason for optimism about their chances on Sunday is their form of late, which has seen them lose only one game out of the last six (to Liverpool), while they held Chelsea to a stalemate and went within seconds of doing the same against Spurs at White Hart Lane. The chances of Mark Hughes' men coming away from Manchester with three points seems fanciful, but City may not have it as easy as they might think.

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/25/squad-sheets-manchester-city-fulham

Squad sheets: Manchester City v Fulham

guardian.co.uk, Friday 25 February 2011 17.57 GMT

Probabale starters in bold, contenders in light. Photograph: Graphic

Manchester City won the corresponding fixture 4-1 in November and Mark Hughes could be in for a difficult time given his former club have won seven home games on the bounce. With 24 goals scored in the process, Roberto Mancini is removing the suspicion that he may be too restrained in his tactics, with Mario Balotelli, Carlos Tevez and Edin Dzeko all starting the win over Aris Thessaloniki on Thursday. Bobby Zamora's hopes of a first start for Fulham for five months are in the balance after he twisted his ankle in training. Daniel Taylor

Venue City of Manchester Stadium Tickets £28-£30 (0870 062 1894) Last season Manchester City 2 Fulham 2 Referee P Walton

This season's matches 17 Y57, R6, 3.71 cards per game

sportingbet odds Man City 4-9 Fulham 6-1 Draw 11-4

Manchester City

Subs from Taylor, Zabaleta, Jô, Vieira, Lescott, Wright-Phillips, Nimely, M Johnson

Doubtful Kompany (hip)

Injured Milner (hamstring, Mar), Boyata (hamstring, Mar), Richards (calf, Mar), De Jong (ankle, Mar), Given (shoulder, May), A Johnson (ankle, May) Suspended None

Form guide LWDLWD Disciplinary record Y54 R5

Leading scorer Tevez 18

Fulham

Subs from Stockdale, Pantsil, Etheridge, Kelly, Briggs, Riise, Halliche Greening, E Johnson, Dikgacoi, Gera, A Johnson, Gudjohnsen, Zamora

Doubtful Zamora (ankle), Etuhu (hamstring) Injured Kamara (back, 6 Mar), Senderos (back, 6 Mar), Sidwell (knee, Apr)

Suspended None Form guide DDWLWD

Disciplinary record Y32 R0

Leading scorer Dempsey 9

Match pointers

• Manchester City have won only one of their last seven league games against their opponents from London

• Fulham striker Moussa Dembélé has committed 38 fouls without being booked this season, more than any other player

• Five of City's last six goals have come in the first half of their matches

• Fulham have conceded just five league goals since the turn of the year – no side has let in fewer

• City and Fulham have both scored in the last 13 fixtures between the sides

White Noise

http://www.cleansheetsallround.co.uk/2011/02/tottenham-hotspur-full-back-set-to-leave-after-redknapp-bust-up

Tottenham Hotspur full-back set to leave after Redknapp bust-up

Posted on Friday, 25th February 2011

by Matthew Wood

ShareTottenham Hotspur defender Alan Hutton looks set to leave White Hart Lane after it emerged the Scot was involved in a row with manager Harry Redknapp.

According to goal.com, Redknapp took exception to Hutton's performance in the 4-0 defeat at Fulham last month and singled out the player for criticism.

In retaliation, Hutton said he shouldn't have been targeted which has resulted in Redknapp dropping the Scotland international for subsequent matches.

"Harry had a pop after Fulham because he felt Hutton had a poor game and Hutton stood his ground because he felt he was being unfairly treated," said a source.

"It was a stand-up row and serious enough for Harry to call him in the next day and freeze him out ever since."

Hutton has been linked with a move to either Aston Villa or Sunderland with a departure looking likely.

White Noise

City's Toure on standby to replace Kompany

Published 14:36 25/02/11

By MirrorFootball

Vincent Kompany is a major doubt for Manchester City's Barclays Premier League encounter with Fulham on Sunday.

The Belgium international limped out of the first half of last night's Europa League victory over Aris Salonika with a hip injury and it is hard to see Kompany recovering quickly enough to be involved.

Kolo Toure could come in as a direct replacement, although Jerome Boateng is also capable of filling the void.

Micah Richards (calf), James Milner (hamstring), Nigel De Jong (ankle) and Adam Johnson (ankle) are all expected to miss out.

Team (from): Hart, Taylor, Zabaleta, Boateng, K Toure, Kompany, Kolarov, Lescott, Wright-Phillips, Vieira, Y Toure, Silva, Barry, Tevez, Dzeko, Balotelli, Jo, Boyata.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Manchester-City-Fulham-team-news-Kompany-major-doubt-with-hip-problem-Richards-Milner-De-Jong-and-Adam-Johnson-all-expected-to-miss-out-through-injury-article706707.html#ixzz1F036Uxm3

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_preview/0,19764,11065_3366074,00.html

Man City v Fulham preview

City keep sights on title; Hughes returns to old club

Last updated: 25th February 2011   

Manchester City will aim to close the gap on their title rivals when they host Fulham at Eastlands on Sunday.

Roberto Mancini's men are currently third in the Premier League but eight points adrift of leaders and local adversaries Manchester United.

Their last outing in the league saw them go down 2-1 to their neighbours at Old Trafford, but they will be buoyed by more encouraging results in the FA Cup and Europa League that have followed.

City built on last weekend's 5-0 cup thrashing of Notts County with a 3-0 triumph over Aris Salonika in midweek, which booked them a spot in the Europa League last 16.

And the Blues' formidable record against Fulham is likely to give them added confidence ahead of the weekend, with the Cottagers having won just six times in 25 league visits to City.

Despite that statistic, Fulham's recent results at Eastlands have been impressive with three wins, three draws and just two defeats in eight trips to the Lancashire club.

Cottagers boss Mark Hughes will be fully focused on another upset as he returns to his former employers, where he was sacked in December 2009 and succeeded by Mancini.

The reverse fixture at Craven Cottage back in November saw City go home with a 4-1 victory under their belts, a result they will be hoping to emulate.

But Mancini's men have won just one of their last four league games, while Fulham are unbeaten in three, although they could still be stinging from their FA Cup exit at the hands of Bolton last weekend.

Doubt
Vincent Kompany is a major doubt for Sunday's encounter after limping out of the first half of the Aris clash with a hip injury.

Kolo Toure could come in as a direct replacement, although Jerome Boateng is also capable of filling the void. Micah Richards (calf), James Milner (hamstring), Nigel de Jong and Adam Johnson (both ankle) are all expected to miss out.

City will be without No.2 goalkeeper Shay Given after the Irishman was ruled out for the season with a shoulder problem earlier this week.

Bobby Zamora suffered a fresh injury blow on Friday and is doubtful to appear for Fulham.

The striker, who only returned from five months out with a broken leg in Sunday's FA Cup defeat to Bolton, went over on his ankle in training and faces a fitness test tomorrow.

Midfielder Steve Sidwell has been ruled out for four weeks after damaging knee ligaments, while Philippe Senderos and Diomansy Kamara will also miss Sunday's match with back problems.

Possible starting XIs:

Man City: Hart, Zabaleta, K Toure, Boateng, Kolarov, Silva, Barry, Wright-Phillips, Y Toure, Tevez, Dzeko.

Fulham: Schwarzer, Salcido, Hangeland, Hughes, Baird, Gera, Murphy, Etuhu, Dempsey, Johnson, Dembele.

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/02/25/2368718/five-bets-to-follow-for-the-weekend-industry-experts-provide

Manchester City have won their last six games in all competitions at Eastlands, and the return of Mark Hughes should not really pose Roberto Mancini much trouble with Fulham only winning once away from home all season.

This fixture is heavily biased towards goals. Both teams have scored in the last 13 meetings; ten of which finished with three goals or more. Dzeko and Tevez are starting to show signs of an improving partnership and pushing Kolarov further up the pitch might prove fruitful.

Manchester City's last four matches at home have yielded an average of 5.25 goals and goals should be expected again on Sunday.

Match Odds: Man City 1.44, Draw 3.75, Fulham 7.0

Tip: Over 2.5 goals @ 1.90