watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A Year Ago - The Greatest Rearguard Action Since Thermopylae

Started by White Noise, February 25, 2011, 05:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Who remembers Shaktar? Who was there? Was it one of the greatest Fulham matches ever?

It was another remarkable night of European football for Fulham in the Ukraine on Thursday, with the Whites defeating the UEFA Cup holders, Shakhtar Donetsk, 3-2 on aggregate. A 1-1 draw at the Donbass Arena was enough to see the Whites through to the final 16.

Fulham, in their all-white kit, got Thursday evening's UEFA Europa League clash against Shakhtar Donetsk underway, in front of a sea of orange and black inside the stunning Donbass Arena.

With Fulham holding a 2-1 advantage over the current UEFA Cup holders, Shakhtar went on the offensive from the first whistle.

Luiz Adriano fired in the first shot of the game inside the first minute of play; his 25 yard effort falling safely into Mark Schwarzer's arms.

Just two minutes later the striker fired in a scintillating shot from distance, forcing Schwarzer to produce a superb fingertip save to keep Fulham's lead intact.

For all of Shakhtar's possession and attacking intent during the opening exchanges, Roy Hodgson's team kept their composure with some well organised defensive play.

After 10 minutes Jadson latched onto a cross from the right in a central position 12 yards from goal. The home crowd were off their feet, sensing a finish, but Jadson fluffed his shot.

The deafening noise inside the Donbass Arena went up a few notches when Fernandinho smashed a thirty-yard effort in on goal. It was a fierce drive but once again, Schwarzer was on hand to produce a stunning fingertip save.

The Whites were certainly camped in their own half during the first half but Fulham's two banks of four were keeping the tide at bay. If Fulham were to increase their advantage it would be on the counter but every effort was needed to protect their advantage.

As the half hour mark approached Shakhtar turned the pressure up, winning several corners off long-range strikes. Fortunately Schwarzer was once again producing another world-class performance in goal.

To their credit Fulham remained resolute and some of Brede Hangeland's last-ditch tackling was inspired. The towering Norwegian was taking no prisoners on Thursday night, as Ilsinho discovered in a tussle on the by-line after 30 minutes of play.

Fulham's 'catch them on the counter' tactic worked an absolute treat after 32 minutes play when Brede Hangeland sent the Donbass Arena into complete silence when he headed Damien Duff's corner into the Shakhtar net.

Hangeland rose above Shakhtar's defence to head into the corner of the net from 8 yards out. It was a stunning moment, which left Shakhtar shaken. Fulham's tails were up with a 3-1 advantage and after defending for near on half an hour the balance of play literally switched halves. Roy Hodgson's Team were attacking at will as half-time approached.

Hangeland's goal certainly took the sting out of Shakhtar's offensive play and the remainder of the first-half was played out in relative comfort for Fulham.

Shakhtar came out early for the second half with Fulham retaining the same eleven for the second period.
The home side, looking to recover a two-goal deficit, attacked from the flanks but Roy Hodgson's side never looked troubled during the early stages of the second half.

Hangeland underlined his defensive strength after 47 minutes when Fernandinho smashed into a fifty-fifty challenge with the Norwegian powerhouse 20 yards from goal. Hangeland didn't move an inch from the full-blooded challenge, remaining rooted to the ground.

After 52 minutes play Willian limped from the field of play, replaced by Douglas Costa. It wasn't until the 62nd minute until Costa earned his first sight of goal but his long range effort sailed harmlessly over Schwarzer's bar.

For Fulham, Bobby Zamora was working tirelessly in attack, hunting down any stray balls and harrying Shakhtar's defence - the big man provided a crucial outlet on Thursday night.

The Donbass Arena erupted after 68 minutes when Jadson stroked the ball home from close range after latching onto Costa's cross from the right. The aggregate was now 3-2 in Fulham's favour.

If Fulham were to reach the last 16 they would have to ride out 20 minutes of unabated pressure. Roy Hodgson made his first change of the game immediately after Shakhtar's equaliser, replacing Bobby Zamora with David Elm.

The home side attacked in waves and utter composure was required on and off the ball inside the cauldron that was the Donbass Arena. It was nerve-wracking stuff for Fulham's supporters in the top tier but the players were producing a sterling and stubborn defensive performance to keep Shakhtar at bay.

Ten minutes from time Rat went within a whisker of bringing the game level with a fierce left footed drive from 30 yards out down the left channel. The home crowd thought it was a cert but much to Fulham's relief the ball rebounded off the advertising board behind Schwarzer's goal.

Fernandinho was appealing for a penalty after 84 minutes following a rebound off Hughes in the area but the Referee was not impressed. Some relief came four minutes from time as Fulham entered into an extended spell of possession.

Roy Hodgson then introduced Bjorn Helge Riise for Simon Davies with barely a minute of normal time remaining. As the Fourth Official indicated one minute of added time Zoltan Gera was handed a glorious chance to put the contest beyond doubt. Racing through for a on-on-one Gera sent his shot agonisingly wide of goal.

Fulham rode out the storm and a final flourish wasn't required as a 1-1 draw was enough to see Roy Hodgson's Team through to the final 16 of the UEFA Europa League. It was another memorable night of European football for the Club and the Europan adventure continues. The only sore point on a otherwise stunning night was a red card for captain Danny Murphy in the final seconds of the contest at the Donbass Arena.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/MatchAndTeam/MatchCentre/Matches/0910/EuropaLeague/ShakhtarDonetskAway.aspx#ixzz1EzgSWUO6

FatFreddysCat

Just looking at the photo of the stadium from outside filled me with fear, it looks very impressive and after how Shaktar played in the first leg i knew our European tour was coming to an end, i was so proud we had got that far and to have beaten them at home was a miracle, but we was obviously going to get hammered there wasnt we ????  :028:  Any chance of finding the photo WN?

Jimpav

This was probably the cagiest game of the campaign. The early Hangeland goal was a massive relief but it was still extremely tense.

I watched this at the cottage and it was a very strange atmosphere- we were all terrified. At half time I fell off the nicotine wagon and having a sneaky ag outside in the shadow of the Haynes statue. Myself, my mate and the security guard huddling in the arches from the rain looking up at the statue and asking ourselves what he would make of it all if he were still alive.

The tension wasn't just felt by us. Hodgson went mental after a rash tackle by Shakatar. Murphy lost his cool and went for a rash revenge attack. Much to our delight and disgust.

I went out and got drunk after this in a Cuban bar near Waterloo with my wife before booking tickets to Italy.

SmithyFFC

I doubt I've ever been more tense and nervous whilst watching a game. Wave after wave of Shaktar pressure virtually all night, still can't believe we escaped with a draw.
FTID

The Doctor

Remember watching it in The Nags Head, Reading with another poster off here.  I'd got in nice and early and reserved the TV because I knew the Liverpool game was on at the same time.  Ten minutes in a load of Liverpool fans walked in and demanded the TV be turned over to their game.  The barstaff just said a flat "no".  They had a bit of a whinge and got told where to go so traipsed back out into the night.  First victory secured.

Relief was unconfined when Hangeland nodded in that header. But then a different sort of tension crept in...we were going to shut up shop and defend this slender advantage.  How would that stand up against the fluid passing of Shakhtar that had torn us to shreds in the first half at the Cottage?  We got through to half time unscathed and collected our thoughts.

Second half was one-way as I recall, but not too many scares.  We were beginning to believe we'd get away with it when they squeezed a shot in to draw level on the night.  Damn.  20 mins to go and another goal for them would take it to extra time.  And let's face it, smash-and-grab isn't really what Fulham are known for.  Nervous times indeed.  But we doggedly held on.  And then in the dying minutes Gera got in on goal.  GO ON ZOLTAN!  GO ON! But he put it wide.  Nevertheless we did enough.  Sadly, the last meaningful action of the game was Murphy rising to blatant provocation and earning himself a red card.  That's him out of the next game then - probably the next round entirely if UEFA's secretive disciplinary procedure is anything to go by (as turned out to be the case).

As we sat there coming to terms with what we'd just witnessed, we settled in to watching Everton v Sporting, while getting updates from a mate on the progress of Juve v Ajax, one of whom we'd be playing in the next round.  Spent most of the second half on the phone to mates hastily arranging our travel, and the flights were booked the moment Juve won their game.

Fulham playing Juve as equals having dumped the holders out of Europe.  Does it get any better?  I strolled home convinced that I'd wake up at any moment

RidgeRider

Quote from: The Doctor on February 26, 2011, 11:35:19 AM
Remember watching it in The Nags Head, Reading with another poster off here.  I'd got in nice and early and reserved the TV because I knew the Liverpool game was on at the same time.  Ten minutes in a load of Liverpool fans walked in and demanded the TV be turned over to their game.  The barstaff just said a flat "no".  They had a bit of a whinge and got told where to go so traipsed back out into the night.  First victory secured.

Relief was unconfined when Hangeland nodded in that header. But then a different sort of tension crept in...we were going to shut up shop and defend this slender advantage.  How would that stand up against the fluid passing of Shakhtar that had torn us to shreds in the first half at the Cottage?  We got through to half time unscathed and collected our thoughts.

Second half was one-way as I recall, but not too many scares.  We were beginning to believe we'd get away with it when they squeezed a shot in to draw level on the night.  Damn.  20 mins to go and another goal for them would take it to extra time.  And let's face it, smash-and-grab isn't really what Fulham are known for.  Nervous times indeed.  But we doggedly held on.  And then in the dying minutes Gera got in on goal.  GO ON ZOLTAN!  GO ON! But he put it wide.  Nevertheless we did enough.  Sadly, the last meaningful action of the game was Murphy rising to blatant provocation and earning himself a red card.  That's him out of the next game then - probably the next round entirely if UEFA's secretive disciplinary procedure is anything to go by (as turned out to be the case).

As we sat there coming to terms with what we'd just witnessed, we settled in to watching Everton v Sporting, while getting updates from a mate on the progress of Juve v Ajax, one of whom we'd be playing in the next round.  Spent most of the second half on the phone to mates hastily arranging our travel, and the flights were booked the moment Juve won their game.

Fulham playing Juve as equals having dumped the holders out of Europe.  Does it get any better?  I strolled home convinced that I'd wake up at any moment

Good memory and good post Doctor.

Sheepskin Junior

I was at the home leg and that was nerve wracking enough
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507