https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (28.02.11)

Started by White Noise, February 28, 2011, 07:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

A Team Performance

Sunday 27th February 2011

Aaron Hughes was pleased with a point away at Manchester City on Sunday after what he described as "another solid team performance".

The Whites impressed throughout, overcoming a one-goal deficit with a stirring display, especially after the break.

"We came out well, taking a lot of confidence from the things we did well in the first-half, because their goal had come from nothing and really, up until then, they hadn't caused us too much trouble," the centre-back reflected. "So we just said, "more of the same and we'll get something," and we did."

Mario Balotelli's opportunist 26th minute strike could have knocked the stuffing out of Fulham's bright early endeavour, but Mark Hughes' side appeared unfazed by the goal from nothing, continuing just as they had been with the confidence that something positive would come from their efforts.

"It happens," considered Aaron, "And what's important is your reaction afterwards. You have to get on with it, not panic or suddenly try and change your style of play or anything, so we just kept going.
"We got an early goal in the second-half, which gave us something to build on and try and add to, although at the same time staying wary that they do pose a big threat, especially with the lads they have up-front. So it was a case of keeping the balance right and I thought overall we did that well."

One admirable characteristic of the Whites' display was the way they took the game to their illustrious hosts, refusing to rest on the back foot, and instead asking questions of the City defence. It was an approach that so nearly garnered more lucrative rewards, and one that seems to be becoming a regular feature of this Fulham side's play.

"It's something the Manager has been getting us to do more over the course of his time here," explained the Northern Ireland Captain. "It's been a development of the team and it's slowly but surely come together, which is why we've been getting some good results over the past couple of months.

"Today was another good example of what happens when we do the things he's asking. If you stay on the front foot, then you do get positive results."

Damien Duff was Fulham's goal scorer with a fine strike at Eastlands, but the Irishman was worthy of credit for more than just his fine equaliser – the Republic of Ireland international was at the heart of every good Fulham move, and Aaron agreed that the midfielder was fully deserving of his afternoon in the spotlight.

"Duffer works hard in every game," opined Hughes. "He gives absolutely everything, so when he gets a goal like that it's a nice reward for him – especially for the amount of mileage he notches up, because he does cover a lot of ground.

"It's not just his running that deserves credit, but his quality as well – bringing people into play, his touch on the ball, the way he holds it up for others... He's certainly a big part of our team and a big part of what we do."

But equally as instrumental in achieving the result were Aaron and his fellow defenders who were kept on their toes by one of the most potent attacking line-ups in European football.

"We were disappointed to concede a goal, obviously, as we are in any game, but you get yourself back into it and you think "okay let's make sure we don't concede anymore,"" he reflected. "After that we held firm – not just us as the back four – Schwarzy again was a safe pair of hands and the lads in front of us were working hard to protect us, so it was another solid team performance and we thoroughly deserved the point."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/AaronCityReaction.aspx#ixzz1FFTufwMl

White Noise

Manchester City 1 -1 Fulham

Damien Duff returned to the starting line-up for the Whites after missing Fulham's last match against Bolton in the FA Cup - and he certainly proved to be an influential figure. With Steve Sidwell missing through injury, Dickson Etuhu was also back in the centre of midfield.

The Whites started the game maintaining a sound defensive shape as City looked to get at Fulham early on, particularly down the wings courtesy of their attacking fullbacks - Jerome Boateng and Aleksander Kolarov.

Boateng looked a threat for most of the first-half, hugging the touchline and giving the home side some much needed width, resulting in a number of dangerous deliveries into the box.

Fulham mounted a promising attack on 20 minutes. Carlos Salcido made his first attacking run of the encounter, skipping past Boateng and setting off a period of sustained pressure for the Whites. Fulham moved the ball well and created a shooting opportunity for Danny Murphy, the Fulham Captain firing just over from 20 yards.

But City took the lead on 26 minutes courtesy of some opportunist finishing from Italian striker, Mario Balotelli. The City front man collected the ball some 25 yards from goal and drifted into a central position before hitting an accurate right-footed shot past Schwarzer.

Yet Fulham's confidence looked far from being dented by the goal as the Whites got straight on to the front foot – pushing the home side back. But City were able to hold firm in the face of a resurgent Fulham and reached the half-time interval with their one-goal advantage intact.

Mark Hughes sent his Fulham players out early for the start of the second-half and the response he got from his men was almost immediate, with Damien Duff finishing off an incisive move to net the equaliser on 48 minutes.

Brede Hangeland set the play in motion by chipping a perfectly weighted pass into the path of Andrew Johnson. The Fulham striker used a burst of pace to beat his man and fire a low cross to the back post, where Duff arrived to firmly side-foot past Joe Hart.

Aaron Hughes needed to be at his best on 58 minutes when a searching pass from Kolo Toure fell perfectly for Balotelli. Fortunately, Hughes was able to match the striker for pace and muscled past the Italian, allowing Mark Schwarzer to collect safely.

Schwarzer was called into action soon after when Carlos Tevez was set free by a clipped pass. With Hangeland rapidly closing him down, Tevez scuffed a left-footed shot on target, which Schwarzer did well to reach and divert behind for a corner.

Aleksander Kolarov's dipping long-range effort required the attentions of Fulham's big Australian on 67 minutes – tipping the ball over the bar. City started turning the screw, winning a number of corners and putting the Fulham back line under relentless pressure.

Impressively, the Whites maintained their composure and soon started redressing the balance of play. Damien Duff played a pivotal role, winning a number of important free-kicks and looking dangerous whenever in possession.

Mark Hughes made his only substitution on 78 minutes, replacing Andrew Johnson with Eidur Gudjohnsen.

Fulham were looking the stronger side as the game entered its closing stages and it was through Damien Duff that the Whites' most promising attacks were coming.

But despite their clear attacking intentions, Fulham were unable to find the winning goal, although Mark Hughes' side were certainly good value for the point.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/MatchAndTeam/MatchCentre/Matches/1011/Premiership/ManCityAway.aspx#ixzz1FFUIcDhh

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6784524,00.html

Hughes disappointed to draw

Boss thought Fulham looked the more likely to win at Eastlands

Last updated: 27th February 2011   

Mark Hughes thought his Fulham side might have won after earning a vital point at old club Manchester City.

Mario Balotelli fired the hosts in front midway in the first period but the Cottagers deservedly earned a share of the spoils via Damien Duff just after the restart.

The drew pushed Hughes' side up to 13th in the table, four points above the drop zone and was sweet revenge for the Welshman for his dismissal as City manager 14 months ago.

He told Sky Sports: "We played really well today and I'm a bit disappointed to be perfectly honest because I thought we looked the more likely team to score.

"Their goal was completely against the run of play in the first half so obviously one-nil down at this place it's a difficult situation but I thought my players were excellent today, really took the fight to City and scored a fantastic equalising goal.

"If it's a criticism of my players today is that on occasion we didn't just quite pick out the right ball because we had good opportunities because we created some good stuff today."

There was ill-feeling between Blues' bosses past and present at the end when Roberto Mancini did not appear to look at his predecessor at the post-match handshake, leading to Hughes pulling his hand away in disgust.

Hughes said: "Well I was a little bit disappointed at the end. Listen, I was disappointed with the performance of my team when we last played Man City, we lost 4-1, but I acknowledged that Man City on the day were the better team and I acknowledged that with my handshake and I just felt maybe Man City's manager just didn't really offer his hand with any sincerity so that's why I reacted a little bit.

"So I apologise if I upset anybody."

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9409048.stm

Fulham boss Hughes apologises after spat with Mancini  

Fulham manager Mark Hughes apologised for his spat with Manchester City counterpart Roberto Mancini after the sides' 1-1 Premier League draw.

Hughes angrily withdrew his handshake after Mancini failed to meet his glance when they came together at full-time.

"I apologise if I offended anyone," said Hughes, who was sacked at City and replaced by Mancini in December 2009.

"Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I didn't think he offered his hand with any sincerity today."

Hughes, who also sent some stern words in Mancini's direction, added: "I was well beaten 4-1 by City and Roberto in the reverse fixture at our place and I offered him my hand and admitted they were the better side."

We're not happy with the draw, it's another two points lost

Man City boss Roberto Mancini
Mancini, who saw his side's already slim title hopes suffer another major setback, said he did not know what the problem was.

"I don't know, I don't know what he said," the Italian revealed. "I shook hands with him, but I don't understand what he was saying. There's no problem as far as I'm concerned."

City took the lead in the first half at Eastlands through Mario Balotelli's fine right-foot strike, only for Fulham to level soon after the restart when Damien Duff met Andrew Johnson's right-wing cross to equalise.

Hughes lavished praise on his side but admitted he was frustrated to be leaving his former club with only a point after an impressive performance.

"In the first half we were in control of the game and conceded against the run of play and it's difficult when you go behind against such a good team," the Welshman added.

"But we've got character and desire in abundance and we showed that in the second half. In fact we're a little disappointed because I thought we could have won it.

"We have been away at some of the hardest places to go to this season and haven't got our rewards and that was in the back of our minds. We feared that today but weren't prepared to allow that to happen.

"City are playing every three days at the moment but they've got the resources to cope with that because they are a top club and they've got to get used to that.

"They looked like they were struggling at times to keep tabs on us and the desire of my team helped with that."

Mancini admitted it was a difficult afternoon for City, who now lie 10 points behind league leaders Manchester United, having played a game more than their rivals.

"We're not happy with the draw, it's another two points lost," the Italian reflected. "It's normal to have some tiredness when you play every three days, but it's difficult with four or five players missing.

"We played with three strikers today [Balotelli, Edin Dzeko and Carlos Tevez] but it didn't work well. You have to play well with the rest of the team and move well, but it just didn't work.

"In this moment we need all our players available. Every three days, every three days, it's very hard.

"But our mentality must be different if we want to improve in this way. Every game we want to play at 100%, but it does make it difficult when we can't change four or five players every game."

White Noise

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1409389_manchester_city_1_fulham_1_whalleys_verdict

Manchester City 1 Fulham 1: Whalley's verdict

February 27, 2011

Comments (269) -

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1409389_manchester_city_1_fulham_1_whalleys_verdict#comments

In some ways, it feels as if Manchester City have made great strides since Roberto Mancini replaced Mark Hughes. And yet in other ways, it feels as if they're exactly where they were back in December 2009.

Mancini's squad is of a higher quality than the one Hughes left behind 14 months ago. The Premier League position is healthier, the prospects of long-term success perhaps greater. Heck, they might even win a trophy this season.

And yet, for all the investment and all the effort, the Blues still possess an uncanny ability to trip themselves up, as they proved on Sunday.

City sacked Hughes  because too many drawn games were holding them back. So there was a certain irony in the fact that his first return to Eastlands since then should end in a draw.

Fulham were worthy of the point secured when Damien Duff tapped in Andy Johnson's low right-wing cross two minutes into the second half.

Perhaps the Blues were weary after their midweek Europa League efforts, but they produced little spark other than the moment of genius from Mario Balotelli that gave them a first-half lead.

If so, that is a cause for concern – because the fixture list shows no sign of letting up.

Mancini can point to a long list of injuries that have stripped his squad to such an extent that he is finding it a task to fill a bench.

While the Italian has a better squad than Hughes, he also has a slimmer squad. The Welshman may have had a point when he argued at the end of last week that City's star performers this season – Carlos Tevez, Nigel de Jong and Vincent Kompany – were players he signed.

But only Tevez figured against Fulham, with a hip injury keeping Kompany out and de Jong still recovering from a knee problem.

It left City stretched. Perhaps, in trimming back a bloated squad over the summer and in January, Mancini might wonder if he cut back too much.

Players such as Wayne Bridge, Roque Santa Cruz and Emmanuel Adebayor – all Hughes signings as well, don't forget – were never going to be Premier League regulars this season.

And certainly in Adebayor's case, Mancini was justified in shipping him out to Real Madrid on loan in order to stop him from being a disruptive influence.

A few extra numbers, though, might have come in useful at a time when the games are coming thick and fast.

Intriguingly, Mancini's starting line-up contained five of his own signings and five players Hughes brought to the club. Joe Hart, who was signed by Stuart Pearce, was the odd man out.

The big surprise was the omission of David Silva, such a key creative force for the Blues this season. With so many games coming up, Mancini is determined to keep his Spanish playmaker fresh after he suffered an ankle problem.

For the second game running, Tevez, Balotelli and Edin Dzeko all started. But mindful of the need to protect the defence, Mancini changed his formation from the 4-2-3-1 line-up that had seen off Aris Salonika in the Europa League.

Pablo Zabaleta came into a three-man midfield alongside Yaya Toure and Gareth Barry, set up to ensure a shield for full-backs Jerome Boateng and Aleksandar Kolarov. Tevez and Balotelli provided the support behind Dzeko.

Cagey

Early on, the signs were not good. Fulham edged a cagey opening 25 minutes, although were restricted to long-range efforts, with Danny Murphy dipping a shot just over Hart's crossbar and Moussa Dembele forcing the keeper into a save.

Balotelli, who has seen a couple of half-chances from Kolarov corners fly over the bar, then produced a moment of magic to put City in front.

The Italian played a one-two with Carlos Tevez on the edge of the area, created space for himself and then curled a perfect 25-yarder around Mark Schwarzer into the far corner.

It was his first goal since a hat-trick in the 4-0 demolition of Aston Villa just after Christmas. Balotelli being Balotelli, he could barely bring himself to celebrate.

It didn't exactly settle the Blues, although they did start to create more chances. Kolarov, who belted forward whenever he had the chance – and sometimes when he didn't – blasted a Tevez pass into the side-netting when he should have crossed for Balotelli.

Then Dzeko's shot on the turn from the edge of the area called Schwarzer into action.

But City didn't look comfortable even at 1-0, with Clint Dempsey consistently making a nuisance of himself in a withdrawn wide starting position.

Two minutes into the second half, they equalised. Johnson got away down the Fulham right, where Kolarov should have been, and crossed low for Damien Duff to finish from close in.

City's best spell of the game followed. Balotelli headed wide from a Zabaleta cross, then scuffed a right-wing cross from the busy Argentinian.

Zabaleta's fellow countryman Tevez had the next clear chance from substitute Patrick Vieira's through ball, but the Fulham back-line did enough to distract him and Schwarzer saved the shot.

Kolarov didn't let up in his determination to create or score a goal, and Fulham's Australian keeper had to be alert to tip over a long-range dipper from the Serbian full-back.

Fulham, though, looked strong in the closing moments. Dempsey, who has developed a habit of inflicting pain on City, created a decent opening for himself in the final seven minutes, although his low shot was straight at Hart.

The frustration in the stands was both palpable and understandable, and boos rang out around the stadium at full-time. Mancini's own frustration also came to the fore with a final whistle set-to with his predecessor.

It's a frustration Mancini will be keen to consign to history, along with the memories of Hughes, as quickly as possible.

White Noise

http://www.bluedays.co.uk/2011/02/28/verdict-manchester-city-1-fulham-1/

Verdict: Manchester City 1 Fulham 1

28th February 2011

Goals: Balotelli (26 mins) for City. Duff (47 mins) for Fulham.

A disappointing draw with Mark Hughes in the dugout at Eastlands is hardly a new feeling, rather an unwelcome reminder of how we are yet to fully evolve into a top side. Mario Balotelli provided the one moment of real quality with a superb strike, while Fulham warranted their draw as City put in a jaded performance.

Mancini paid the price for playing strong sides against Notts County and Aris. The eight goals scored without reply in those two games now looks like overkill after we failed to get a second against Fulham.

With Kompany, de Jong, Silva, Johnson and Richards missing from our defence and midfield City were always likely to lack fluency. Add to that the tiredness elsewhere from having to play midweek cup games and the ingredients for a weak performance were there.

Only in terms of strikers were we at full strength in terms of fitness, if not freshness. This didn't help, as without Silva and Johnson we were unable to provide service of sufficient invention. Instead there were hopeful long balls out of defence that were meat and drink to Hangeland and co.

Milner might have helped our tempo in the middle had he been fit enough to start. Instead Zabaleta was asked to do a job in a role where he supplies endeavour if not the required quality of passing.

Boateng and Kolarov were at full-back with neither able to prevent Fulham putting in crosses. Fortunately Lescott combined with a weak Fulham attack to keep Joe Hart from a busier afternoon.

While Mario Balotelli's goal stood out as the afternoon's moment of brilliance, the goal we conceded was more in keeping with the general performance. When Hangeland played a ball down the channel for Johson and Kolarov to chase there was only going to be one winner.

Worse was happening on the other side of the penalty area where Duff came from behind Boateng and then Kolo to get on the end of the cross. Kolo should have been first to the danger while Boateng should at least have been in the vicinity.

Mancini's decision to replace Dzeko with Vieira when we were looking for a winning goal looks questionable on the surface. However it was a reasonable tactical decision with Dzeko failing to make an impression against the Fulham defence.

With Balotelli only involved sporadically, one of them needed to come off to enable us to get a stronger foothold in the game. Tevez also needed to be restored to his position as an out and out striker. He thrives on the responsibility and looked a greater threat than Dzeko.

Vieira's introduction did see our best spell of the game. Milner then provided width on the right but not the cutting edge that Johnson possesses. Once again a late winner for City looked fanciful and failed to materialise. Good sides, including Spurs, get these and it's something Mancini needs to address.

Liverpool also played in the Europa League on Thursday and they lost 3-1 to West Ham. Last week Tottenham followed up a victory in Milan with defeat at Blackpool. Prior to that Chelsea were also held by Fulham. In the light of those results this doesn't look so bad.

Roberto Mancini:

"I'm disappointed by the result, but this is what happens when you play every three days and you don't have many players, like we don't at the moment.

"It's important in the next days we recover and have Nigel [De Jong], Vinny [Kompany] and James [Milner] 100 per cent. We need more options when we play every three days."

It leaves us is in a three way battle for third place. This was a chance to pull clear and put pressure on Spurs and Chelsea to win their games in hand.

City aren't good enough to play cup games during the week, then be sure of the win in the weekend league game. The old 'big four' used to be able to do that, but the difference in quality between Premier League sides isn't as great now.

It leaves us in the uncomfortable position of wanting United to win against Chelsea on Tuesday. Our games away to Chelsea and at home to Spurs are looking increasingly like season deciders.

White Noise

http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2011/02/28/roberto-mancini-v-mark-hughes-yet-another-enjoyable-sideshow/

Roberto Mancini v Mark Hughes - Yet Another Enjoyable Sideshow

28/2/2011 6:38 AM GMT

By Graham Chase

Whether you believe it was a pointless pantomime act or an important saving of face, the controversy over Roberto Mancini's 'handshake' with Mark Hughes proved one of the more enjoyable sub-plots to the weekend's Premier League action.

Hughes slapped Mancini's hand away after claiming the Italian was not looking at him when he headed towards the traditional post-match handshake.

Even if such incidents can be dismissed as short-term bickering, as you could with Hughes's dispute with Stoke manager Tony Pulis earlier this season, these spats can also give us a hint of something that lies a little bit deeper.

Who can forget Hughes and Arsene Wenger after Arsenal's Carling Cup defeat at Eastlands last season?

The Welshman, who was criticised by the Arsenal manager during his spell at Blackburn, was able to take the moral high-ground.

Mancini has not been shy either, memorably tussling with David Moyes as he tried to get the ball back in play against Everton a couple of months after he had replaced Hughes. Tweeter Facebook FourSquare iPhoneThe point is that managers shaking hands is not remotely interesting - until it does not take place. On those occasions we all have a field day.

Call it petty, but time and again, managers will not show a chink of weakness and will never back down. Try and think of the last time you saw one slink away from such a confrontation.

Even Wenger totally lost his cool when he felt Alan Pardew had celebrated in front of him in 2006, and had a similar row with Martin Jol.

Mancini and Hughes can say what they like about it just being a spat about a handshake, but we all like to think it goes deeper than that.

The Italian was waiting in the wings for the moment that Hughes was sacked by City in December 2009 and admitted he had spoken to chief executive Garry Cook on several occasions in the months leading up to his appointment.

It may be the way of the football world but at the same time, whatever Hughes says in public, it is unlikely to have increased his respect for Mancini.

In a reaction as customary as a post-match handshake, Hughes tried to play down the incident. He said: "It's probably my fault again but I'm a bit old fashioned and I always think that you offer your hand regardless of the circumstances.

"I had to offer my hand and do it with sincerity when we were beaten 4-1. I was disappointed, but I acknowledged that they were better and he deserved a handshake of sincerity.

"I don't think he really acknowledged the effort of my team when he offered his hand. I might have got the wrong impression but that was my take on it."

Mancini was also as vague as possible about the exchange and said: "I don't understand, I don't know what to say. I don't understand what he said. He said something but I don't know what. they got a draw against us so he should be happy."

The soap operas will never replace the game itself, don't we enjoy them?

White Noise

Fulham winger Damien Duff scores his team's equaliser at Eastlands, after a brilliant first-time cross by Andrew Johnson.

White Noise

http://lessoninpride.blogspot.com/2011/02/city-1-fulham-1-and-hughes-on-defensive.html

City 1 Fulham 1; and Hughes on the defensive (irony overload).

In a result that undoubtedly delighted lazy journalists, United fans (happy anniversary Blues, 35 years and we're still here) and residents of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Mark Hughes FC held Manchester City to a 1-1 draw at Eastlands — in doing so picking up Fulham's eighth point in the last four meetings between the clubs at the CoMS.

Of course, we could talk about the match — such as how ineffective we looked without David Silva, how we actually looked more likely to score when a striker (Dzeko) was replaced with a midfielder (Uncle Pat), or how on earth I managed to miss a penalty from three yards yesterday — people will not shut the love up about how good it was for Poor Old Hard Done-By Mark Hughes to get revenge against the three-DM-playing, job-stealing, poster child of negative football Roberto Mancini, as if he was the only manager in the history of football to be replaced before his contract had expired.

Having said that, a 'handshake' between Hughes and Mancini spoke volume of the disdain that they have for each other. Hughes is obviously aggrieved because Roberto took his job, Roberto unhappy that he was stuck with Roque Santa Cruz.

Hughes said of the 'snub': "I always think you should offer your hand in whatever circumstances, no matter how difficult it is.

"I did it and did it with sincerity after my team had been beaten 4-1 at Craven Cottage earlier in this season. I acknowledged his team were better.

"Maybe I misread it but I don't feel Roberto really acknowledged the efforts of my team and what we had done by the manner he offered his hand, by not looking at me."

Mancini rightly countered with the accusation Hughes had done exactly the same thing in November following one of City's best performances of the season.

"In London he did the same," said Mancini. "I know he said something but I couldn't understand what."For you it is may be the best thing in the match, for me, no. It is not important. He should be happy. His team got a draw against us."

Spot the difference?

In fact, Hughes was lucky to receive anything other than a bloody lip after the cheeky way he had a dig at Mancini and the club during the week, then having the hide to defend the job he did at Eastlands. Maybe if he spent more time worrying about defense on the pitch rather than off it, he'd still have a job at City...

"If you look at the City side now, I would suggest some of their main performers, and strongest, are the likes of Vincent Kompany, Nigel de Jong and Carlos Tevez. They've had a huge impact for City." he claimed. Obviously neglecting to mention the fact that Vincent Kompany wasn't a regular starter for Hughes, and has come to the fore this season playing exclusively at centre half. Or the fact that under Hughes, de Jong was a destroyer who passed sideways or backwards, but is now vital link between defence and attack.

He's got some nerve if he's claiming Tevez was his signing. He might have signed while Hughes was manager but that's about it.

If you spend several billion pounds on footballing talent, such as: Jo, Tal Ben Haim, Pablo Zabaleta, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Vincent Kompany, Glauber Berti, Robinho, Wayne Bridge, Nigel de Jong, Shay Given, Craig Bellamy, Gareth Barry, Roque Santa Cruz, Kolo Toure, Carlos Tevez, Emmanuel Adebayor, Joleon Lescott, and Sylvinho (enough players to make an entire match day squad and still leave out Jo) you'd expect one or two of them to be not all that bad, wouldn't you?

And he's doubly cheeky for suggesting that the reason those players he did sign, only underperformed because of the new manager.

"Along the way, some purchases haven't worked for whatever reasons, not really in terms of the ability those players have, but because of circumstances and the thinking of the management team and the coaches. And that happens when there's a change in management."

I'd take City under-performing our way to third place this season any day of the week, than what Hughes dished up under his tenure. Alas it seems that it's not only the managers who can't help but reopen old wounds.

White Noise

On The Front Foot

Monday 28th February 2011

Brede Hangeland took a lot of positives from Fulham's attacking play at the City of Manchester Stadium on Sunday afternoon, where the Whites came back from a goal behind to clinch a well-deserved draw.

Having fallen behind to Mario Balotelli's first-half strike, Mark Hughes' men demonstrated their resilience by maintaining their attacking intentions. Fulham earned their reward just after the interval when Hangeland started the move that led to Damien Duff's equaliser.

"I thought we really tried to be positive in the game and not just defend," Hangeland told fulhamfc.com. "It was a very nice goal, AJ looked sharp and so did Duffer so it's a good thing that those two were involved for us.

"We tried to cause City problems and go forward with numbers, the draw is probably fair but I still felt that with a bit of luck we could have won it. Coming away from a place like Man City with that feeling is good.

"The Gaffer talked at half-time about the need to be brave, to try and affect the game and try to get something out of it.

"So we're really happy with having taken the game to Man City on their home ground. We talk a lot about playing to our strengths and I think we've shown at a few places this year, even though we haven't got points at places like Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea – we can cause problems for the big teams and we'll try and do that in the future as well."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/HangelandManCityReaction.aspx#ixzz1FG0lpQph

White Noise

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/50930/Kean_gives_Nelsen_green_light_for_NZ_trip.aspx

Kean gives Nelsen green light for NZ trip

Author:  Nigel Brown

Posted on:28 February 2011 - 12:40 PM

Chris Samba's fitness has seen Ryan Nelsen given permission by Blackburn boss Steve Kean to return home to earthquake hit New Zealand.

The Rovers chief made the decision following Saturday's 4-1 defeat at Aston Villa in which Nelsen was sent off late on to rule him out of this weekend's clash against Fulham due to suspension.

And, with Kean set to welcome Samba back from illness for the game against the Cottagers, he felt it was the right decision to let his captain return home to visit his family and friends.

"It has been a really tough week for Ryan obviously with all the commotion back home," Kean told Rovers' website.

"The sending-off rounded off a bad week for him but his general play and manner in which he has conducted himself and trained has been tremendous.

"I've already said to Ryan that if he wants to go back to let me know. The good thing is that all of his family are okay."

On Samba's fitness, Kean added: "We'll have Chris back next weekend. The doctor tells us he's making good progress."

Alternative

Good stuff as usual.

I tried registering again on the off chance. This time 'cookies enabled' was not a requirement. So here I am looking forward to some sensible discussions about Fulham without having to sift out posts from trolls and wind up merchants

LBNo11

Quote from: Alternative on February 28, 2011, 01:41:50 PM
Good stuff as usual.

I tried registering again on the off chance. This time 'cookies enabled' was not a requirement. So here I am looking forward to some sensible discussions about Fulham without having to sift out posts from trolls and wind up merchants

...welcome on board...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

White Noise

Quote from: Alternative on February 28, 2011, 01:41:50 PM
Good stuff as usual.

Good to see you on here Alternative. I remember talking about the Cookies thing with you. Never quite got to the bottom of it on this side but glad you are able to sign up.

White Noise

http://astonvillablog.com/villa-to-lose-fxpro-sponsor-record-annual-37m-loss/

Villa to Lose FxPro Sponsor, Record Annual £37m Loss

February 28, 2011

by martinlaurence

Please do not take this as me being down beat about the club after a fantastic high-point in the 4-1 win at the weekend, just reporting the recent revelations that FxPro have decided to make use of an apparent clause in the record contract agreed last summer, to pull out of the affiliation early, despite staying on with Fulham. Also the club's holding company revealed the annual figures for the season ending 2010 over the weekend, posting a £37m loss. However, don't fear too much as this number has decreased from £46.2m the year previous. The recent figures do not taken into account this seasons transfer dealings, with the Darren Bent deal representing a significant hit financially, but moves away for the likes of Davies, Sidwell and Carew alleviating the club's wage bill. For a full report on FxPro's decision and the financial details released by holding company Reform Acquisitions Ltd.

Reports suggested towards the end of last week that Villa were set to see their record shirt sponsorship deal with Russian-owned currency traders FxPro, withdrawn after just one season.

Sources from the Daily Mail claimed that the company had an option to do this upon signing three-year deals with both Villa and Barclays Premier League rivals Fulham.

The newspaper stated that FxPro have continued their affiliation with Fulham and sources have touted that the London club agreed to a decrease in their £3.5m annual sponsorship in order to ensure this.

Sources close to the Midlands club revealed that the company attempted to do the same with the Villa deal after the club had disappointed the firms expectations this season, but the club refused to do so.

Aston Villa chief General Charles Krulak, right hand man to owner Randy Lerner confirmed the decision, stating;

"This sponsorship issue (the end of contract with FX Pro) took place awhile back. Not sure why the papers just picked up on it. It is probably not a good idea to go into what has transpired other than to say that we will be paid throughout this season and that we already have sponsorships on the table."

In other news, the clubs accounts were released this weekend from holding company Reform Acquisitions Ltd. revealing a £37m loss from last year.

Despite hefty losses, this figure is down from the year previous when the club made an annual loss of £46.2m.

Key figures from the report included a turnover increase from £84m to £90m due to match receipts being £2m higher, media – £2.5m higher and ommercial £2.4m higher

Operating expenses increased from £105m to £111m and a loss of £30m was made due to player transactions, but perhaps most worryingly for the club bank loans increased from £9m to £20m.

Lerner's abundant need to reduce the club's wage bill was backed by the relevant figures which revealed that total wage costs amounted to £79m (including pension and social security costs) a rise of £9m from the previous year.

Join the new Facebook group and follow our new Twitter page for regular updates on all things Villa at;http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aston-Villa-Blog/193085960709067

http://twitter.com/#!/astonvilla_blog

White Noise

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23927226-mark-hughes-has-turned-us-into-a-fighting-machine-says-aaron.do

Mark Hughes has turned us into a fighting machine, says Aaron

David Smith

28 Feb 2011

Aaron Hughes today held up Fulham's fighting draw at Eastlands as proof of the progress the team are making under boss Mark Hughes.

Last November, the defender was in the side crushed 4-1 by Manchester City at Craven Cottage.

That game came in the middle of a month when Fulham failed to win any of their five Premier League fixtures, causing questions to be asked about the manager's ability to repeat the success enjoyed by predecessor Roy Hodgson.

Yesterday, only winger Simon Davies was missing from the starting line-up for that first game against boss Hughes's former club. Yet the performance was so much better that Fulham were unfortunate not to have come away with all three points.

What was especially impressive was the manner in which they recovered from Mario Balotelli's opener for City to equalise three minutes into the second half, when Damien Duff turned in Andy's Johnson's whipping cross.

Balotelli's 26th-minute goal, a long-range snap shot, was totally against the run of play but Fulham were not fazed.

Centre-half Hughes said: "What's important is your reaction afterwards. You have to get on with it, not panic or suddenly try to change your style of play.

"We got the early goal in the second half, which gave us something to build on and try to add to, although at the same time staying wary that they did pose a big threat, especially with the lads they had up front. It was a case of keeping the balance right and I thought overall we did that well.

"It's something the manager has been getting us to do more over the course of his time here. It has been a development of the team and it's slowly but surely come together, which is why we've been getting some good results over the past couple of months.

"This game was another good example of what happens when we do the things the manager is asking us to do. If you stay on the front foot, then you do get positive results."

Manager Hughes agreed that the draw, which lifts Fulham to 13th in the table, is a fair reflection of how his players have responded to his methods since that setback three months ago.

"You saw a different type of performance," he said. "In that first game City were excellent and we didn't have any answers. But in the return we restricted very good players to very few opportunities. That's a reflection of the work we've done and the commitment the players have shown me."

No Fulham player exemplified that commitment more than Duff, who showed an energy and fighting spirit that was distinctly lacking among a flat City side.

Hughes said of his team-mate: "Duffer works hard in every game, he gives everything, so when he gets a goal it's a nice reward for him."

With Dickson Etuhu returning from injury to replace Steve Sidwell, out for at least another fortnight with knee ligament damage, there was not one weak link in Fulham's side. Deserving of special mention, however, was goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer, who made stupendous saves from Carlos Tevez and Aleksandar Kolarov.

Those stops ensured Hughes had a satisfying return to City, even if he did lose his cool at the end. The Welshman wheeled away in a display of theatrical indignation after Mancini failed to look him in the eye as they shook hands at the final whistle.

Hughes had a touchline spat with Stoke's Tony Pulis earlier this season and admits he went overboard this time. He said: "I apologise, it's probably my fault again. I'm a little bit old-fashioned, I always think if you offer your hand then it should be accepted, regardless of the circumstances."

White Noise

http://www.goalcity.com/?area=home&sezione=news_esplosa&id_news=50523&titolo=Newcastle%2C+offerti+16+milioni+al+Fulham+per+Dempsey

Newcastle, offered 16 million for Dempsey to Fulham

The Magpies want at all costs the attacker and the U.S. are ready to madness just to win the bids.

Newcastle wants at all costs the U.S. striker Fulham, Clint Dempsey. The Magpies are ready to offer up to 16 million €.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: White Noise on February 28, 2011, 06:50:55 PM
http://www.goalcity.com/?area=home&sezione=news_esplosa&id_news=50523&titolo=Newcastle%2C+offerti+16+milioni+al+Fulham+per+Dempsey

The Magpies want at all costs the attacker and the U.S. are ready to madness just to win the bids.

Newcastle wants at all costs the U.S. striker Fulham, Clint Dempsey. The Magpies are ready to offer up to 16 million €.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Yank site?

White Noise

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/856781-mario-balotelli-criticised-for-lazy-display-vs-fulham-by-roberto-mancini

Mario Balotelli criticised for 'lazy' display vs Fulham by Roberto Mancini

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has risked a rift with volatile striker Mario Balotelli after criticising the Italian's 'lazy' performance against Fulham.

Related Tags:Roberto ManciniMario Balotelliperformancecriticismmancini
Man City striker Mario Balotelli didn't put in a shift, according to Roberto Mancini (Action Images)
The 20-year-old scored City's goal in the 1-1 draw at Eastlands, which further dampens their fading hopes of challenging bitter rivals Manchester United at the top of the Premier League.

But Mancini singled out Balotelli for criticism, saying he had not put in the effort for the rest of the game after giving his side the lead.

'I am not happy with Mario,' Mancini admitted.

'I know him very well and I know he can play better. He can play for the team.

'He scored a fantastic goal but there were still 70 minutes left.'

Mancini slammed Balotelli's apparent lack of effort up front, with his lethargy and reluctance to chase back shown up in stark contrast to the all-action style of team captain Carlos Tevez.

The Argentinean failed to find the net in an unusually quiet performance, but he still managed to put himself about as part of a three-pronged attack alongside Balotelli and Edin Dzeko.

'He can't lose the ball all the time. Every time the ball went to the front, we didn't keep it,' Mancini added.

It remains to be seen how the hot-headed Italian, who left Inter Milan after a series of bust-ups and questions over his attitude, will react to the criticism.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/856781-mario-balotelli-criticised-for-lazy-display-vs-fulham-by-roberto-mancini#ixzz1FHVL45Ue

White Noise

Quote from: Mr Fulham on February 28, 2011, 06:54:02 PM
Quote from: White Noise on February 28, 2011, 06:50:55 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Yank site?

No, tranlsated it from the Italian original.