Previous topic - Next topic

mike_f

Quote from: Lork on March 01, 2011, 07:06:04 PM
Quote from: mike_f on March 01, 2011, 07:04:25 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on March 01, 2011, 06:49:18 PM
Quote from: mike_f on March 01, 2011, 05:59:24 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on March 01, 2011, 05:06:33 PM
Quote from: mike_f on March 01, 2011, 04:40:51 PM
Can sell him on for a couple of grand in a couple of summers rather than get nothing for him. Good business.

You are such a WUM. Why the hell would we sign him to a 4 YEAR contract to then sell him in the summer?
Please explain how I said is wum?

If he makes it, then great. However if he doesn't make the grade we can sell him on for a profit in a couple of summers rather than releasing for free in the summer which is good business sense, no?

Apologies, misread the orginal post.

There was someone on here the other day saying that Briggs was rubbish/would never make it and would be let go this summer - thought you were the same guy,

my bad.
I am that guy. I do believe that Briggs isn't good enough and won't make the grade but there's no harm in tying him down and getting a fee further down the line.

we'd have been entitled to a fee for the next 5 years whether he signed a contract or not.
Really? They obviously have high hopes for him and know far more about him than I do. Good luck to the lad.

Mr Fulham

Fantastic news! :clap_hands: :clap_hands:

LRCN

Quote from: mike_f on March 01, 2011, 07:07:20 PM
Quote from: Lork on March 01, 2011, 07:06:04 PM
Quote from: mike_f on March 01, 2011, 07:04:25 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on March 01, 2011, 06:49:18 PM
Quote from: mike_f on March 01, 2011, 05:59:24 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on March 01, 2011, 05:06:33 PM
Can sell him on for a couple of grand in a couple of summers rather than get nothing for him. Good business.

You are such a WUM. Why the hell would we sign him to a 4 YEAR contract to then sell him in the summer?
Please explain how I said is wum?

If he makes it, then great. However if he doesn't make the grade we can sell him on for a profit in a couple of summers rather than releasing for free in the summer which is good business sense, no?

Apologies, misread the orginal post.

There was someone on here the other day saying that Briggs was rubbish/would never make it and would be let go this summer - thought you were the same guy,

my bad.
I am that guy. I do believe that Briggs isn't good enough and won't make the grade but there's no harm in tying him down and getting a fee further down the line.

we'd have been entitled to a fee for the next 5 years whether he signed a contract or not.
Really? They obviously have high hopes for him and know far more about him than I do. Good luck to the lad.

yeah, if a player under 24's contract expires we can choose to keep their registration until they reach 24... like we did with omozusi. that way if we want to we can get compensation.

clint23

Great news, I see in Briggs a great player, hope he'll prove me right

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: clint23 on March 01, 2011, 07:22:11 PM
Could be anouther Smalling, or another one that ends up playing in the Northern wastelands for the likes of Halifax and the like.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on March 01, 2011, 07:28:05 PM
Could be anouther Smalling, or another one that ends up playing in the Northern wastelands for the likes of Halifax and the like.

You never know. Briggs is in a crucial age and I'm convinced Sparky will give him a run-out when he's fit again. I think he will replace Sally at some stage this - or next - season.

clint23

Quote from: Mr Fulham on March 01, 2011, 07:32:30 PM
Quote from: FatFreddysCat on March 01, 2011, 07:28:05 PM

You never know. Briggs is in a crucial age and I'm convinced Sparky will give him a run-out when he's fit again. I think he will replace Sally at some stage this - or next - season.

As you said, Mr Fulham, you never know. Only time will tell us...

simplyfulham

Great stuff. 

From what I saw when I used o watch the reserves, he mire often the not looked like the best player on the pitch (quite often for either side).  

I reckon if he does 'make' it, he'll eventually find a home at centre half.

Jack Fulham

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on March 01, 2011, 05:38:13 PM
I'd give Briggs a go on the left wing, he has plently of pace which is what we lack.

New contract is defiantley good news  :045:

Meh, his positions are CB and Lb back so I think he should stay where he is. Keanu Marsh Brown plays LW/RW for MK Dons though so there could be a future for him in that position.

CravenCottager

Great news. Love to see someone break through and really establish themselves through the ranks. Been far too long.
"The first 90 minutes are the most important".

NogoodBoyo

AFC said: "Just saw that. Looks like he is a keeper!"

Nogood "thinking he was a left back, isit" Boyo

Tom

Quote from: White Noise on March 01, 2011, 04:45:51 PM
Quote from: Tom on March 01, 2011, 04:34:42 PM
Quote from: Jack Fulham on March 01, 2011, 02:15:51 PM
Keanu on extensions now.
When did I miss this? I thought he was only here on loan till the end of the season.

Jack means Keanu Marsh-Brown who we have loaned out to MK Dons. He signed a contract extension in January but the club never mentioned it. It is up on his profile though.
Thanks WN.
Fulham for life!

Tom

:tom:  :doh:
Fulham for life!

Tom

Anyone know when he will be back from his injury and ready to play?
Fulham for life!

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Tom on March 02, 2011, 05:24:08 AM
:tom:  :doh:

He's on the wind up

White Noise

Briggs Exclusive

Wednesday 2nd March 2011

Academy graduate Matthew Briggs signed a contract extension with Fulham FC on Tuesday afternoon and the England U19 captain spoke of his delight at having secured his long term future with the Club following a number of impressive performances for the First Team this season.

"I'm really pleased," Briggs told fulhamfc.com. "I've been at Fulham since I was ten years old. I was offered the contract last week and we've been doing a medical. It was a case of getting that sorted and then signing on the dotted line."

Briggs made history back in 2007 when he became the youngest Premier League player in history, making his senior debut at the tender age of 16 years and 65 days against Middlesbrough. Briggs admits his memories of his debut at the Riverside are somewhat hazy but his recent start in the West London derby at Stamford Bridge was a moment he truly savoured.

"I vaguely remember my debut against Middlesbrough to be honest," Briggs explained. "I remember being told to warm up and getting butterflies in my stomach – I just couldn't wait to get on.

"I thought I was going to be in the squad a bit more the following season after making my debut against Middlesbrough, but it wasn't to be. It's been a bit frustrating with different managers, having to prove myself again and again.

"Since Mark Hughes has arrived I've pushed my foot through the door a little bit. If Mark Hughes likes you as a player and you're performing well in training then he will play you and starting against Chelsea was a great experience for me. Playing against the likes of Kalou and Drogba was a great test for me."

Briggs' spell in the First Team was brought to a shuddering halt at the Emirates in early December when injury forced him from the field of play. Briggs has needed much patience in recent months but now the defender is injury free and looking forward to a bright future at the Cottage.

"It was against Arsenal that I got a problem in both calves. The muscles swelled up and there wasn't a lot of room for them to move together, so I had to have an operation to release the pressure in both calves. That prevented me from running or doing anything for a while. It was gutting for me but the Manager told me it was one of those things and to keep my head up and get the problem sorted out.

"I'm hoping to get back in the match day squad again before the end of the season and get a few games. I've had a few set-backs along the way with injuries but that will make me stronger in the long run."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/BriggsContractDeal.aspx#ixzz1FRf6r7Yu