Started by AlFayedsChequebook, March 03, 2011, 11:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmithyFFC

Quote from: finnster01 on March 03, 2011, 02:31:32 PM
With a stadium like this you have to hand it to Braga for Portugal:

That is quality  :045:
FTID

FP

Even though in numbers San Lorenzo (my team in Argentina) may seem bigger than Fulham i find some similarities. San Lorenzo is considered one of the big 5 here but as 80% of the fan base is either Boca Juniors or River Plate i think it would be more accurate to say there are only 2 big clubs here (like in Spain).

Yes the stadium is bigger (44.000) and has won 15 championships but we've never won the "Copa Libertadores" (similar to Champions League). But its roots are more Fulham-ish. Located in the residential working class neighbourhoods of Almagro and Boedo, was a great family club with much more activities other than football (it even had a library with 12.000 books).

During the 80s came the bad times. Bankruptcy, stadium sold (there's a supermarket there now) and relegation. One of the most amazing things about San Lorenzo are the supporters. The year of the relegation sold more tickets than any club in the first division that year. Twelve years after that (1995) we won the league after 21 years, the new stadium was built ant the club was re-born.

This is how the atmosphere like when the team jumps to the pitch

SAN LORENZO VS RACING - SALIDA

Shredhead

There's a football and cricket team in Trinidad called Fulham - here's a quote from a local paper: ' UTT host newly promoted Fulham Sports at O'Meara in their second round match. Fulham are coming off a high-scoring encounter with Seenath's Auto Bamboo Sports and will be eager to show they can compete with the established teams in the division.'
I lived there for 3 years but never made it to their matches - the beach and surf always distracted me. Pathetic, I know.
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

nevzter

I saw that stadium for the first time about 5 years ago during some UEFA Cup match and was enthralled by its design.  Great venue.

In MLS, San Jose Earthquakes could be a Fulhamesque club - small stadium, haven't won a big trophy (in years), but nevertheless, have a great batch of supporters.  I'm biased though...
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

clint23

Quote from: FP on March 03, 2011, 08:02:50 PM
Even though in numbers San Lorenzo (my team in Argentina) may seem bigger than Fulham i find some similarities. San Lorenzo is considered one of the big 5 here but as 80% of the fan base is either Boca Juniors or River Plate i think it would be more accurate to say there are only 2 big clubs here (like in Spain).

Yes the stadium is bigger (44.000) and has won 15 championships but we've never won the "Copa Libertadores" (similar to Champions League). But its roots are more Fulham-ish. Located in the residential working class neighbourhoods of Almagro and Boedo, was a great family club with much more activities other than football (it even had a library with 12.000 books).

During the 80s came the bad times. Bankruptcy, stadium sold (there's a supermarket there now) and relegation. One of the most amazing things about San Lorenzo are the supporters. The year of the relegation sold more tickets than any club in the first division that year. Twelve years after that (1995) we won the league after 21 years, the new stadium was built ant the club was re-born.

Is Aureliano Torres still playing for San Lorenzo?

AmericanJames

Quote from: nevzter on March 03, 2011, 10:08:35 PM

I saw that stadium for the first time about 5 years ago during some UEFA Cup match and was enthralled by its design.  Great venue.

In MLS, San Jose Earthquakes could be a Fulhamesque club - small stadium, haven't won a big trophy (in years), but nevertheless, have a great batch of supporters.  I'm biased though...

I could agree with you about San Jose, but the whole lose of a franchise to Houston and their subsequent success kinda throws it off a bit, though with the current version of the team I can see where you are coming from.
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

White Noise

Rubble on the pitch? Keeper killed by rockfall?

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

FP

Quote from: clint23 on March 04, 2011, 06:02:35 AM

Yes, he was on the bench last saturday and he's starting today against All Boys. Good left back Aureliano, he's very good going forward and crossing and quite poor defending. Rings a bell?

clint23

Quote from: FP on March 04, 2011, 01:47:17 PM
Quote from: clint23 on March 04, 2011, 06:02:35 AM

Yes, he was on the bench last saturday and he's starting today against All Boys. Good left back Aureliano, he's very good going forward and crossing and quite poor defending. Rings a bell?

Haha, Salsa...