Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6789356,00.html

Coulibaly welcomes interest

Nice's versatile Ivorian pleased to have caught the eye of scouts

By Giscard Gourizro   

Last updated: 2nd March 2011   

Coulibaly: In the spotlight

Kafoumba Coulibaly is delighted to hear that Premier League scouts are keeping tabs on him.

The Nice midfielder was reportedly watched by a number of English clubs over the weekend, with Wigan, Wolves and Fulham said to be among those leading the chase.

Coulibaly did his hopes of securing a summer switch no harm in a meeting with St Etienne, as he bagged a 25-yard wonder goal.

The Ivorian, who can also operate at full-back, was pleased to have made his mark in that particular game and hopes he caught the eye of the interested spectators in the stands.

"The goal was a bit of a surprise," he told skysports.com.

"I heard through the press that I was being watched, so it was good to score in front of them.

"Hopefully now I can score a few more before the end of the season."

White Noise

Duff's Top Half Target

Wednesday 2nd March 2011

Damien Duff's equaliser at Eastlands on Sunday afternoon earned Fulham another valuable point on their travels and Fulham's Republic of Ireland international was clearly delighted to have put the finishing touch on a well worked Fulham move in Manchester.   

"It's always nice to score a goal, and help contribute to a positive result and performance," Duff told fulhamfc.com. "I wouldn't say that I'm in the side to score goals, but if I can then that's a good thing.

"It was more pleasing for the team though, because it was a valuable point for us. Who knows, perhaps we could have taken more? We certainly gave a good account of ourselves at the City of Manchester Stadium and more than held our own against one of the league's top sides.

"It was a great cross from AJ and one that any winger would have been proud of. But he has that quality, he's a clever player. He took up a great position and put the ball into a very dangerous position.

"I was there to turn the ball home, but it was a terrific delivery. It came from a great move and pass from Brede Hangeland – and that's the type of football we are capable of and want to be playing."

For the second season in succession Duff has been a revelation on Fulham's right flank, and his ability to perform on both flanks gives manager Mark Hughes valuable attacking options. As for the player himself, Duff professes to enjoy his role on the right whilst highlighting his ability to perform the duties of a more traditional winger.   

"To be honest, I'm probably more comfortable on the right these days. Of course, throughout the majority of my career I've played on the left, but I certainly don't feel out of place on the opposite flank.

"I switched to the right last season, and it's a move that has worked well. I like to cut inside and either get a shot on goal or pick a pass to a team-mate. That said, I still feel that I have the ability to go on the outside and get a ball into the box. It's good to have those options."

Fulham return to Barclays Premier League action at the Cottage this weekend when Mark Hughes' Team challenge Duff's former side, Blackburn Rovers. Duff clearly has great affection for Rovers but his heart now rests in SW6, where the winger is hoping home advantage pays dividends on Saturday afternoon.   

"Of course, that's where it all began for me," Duff explained. "I left Ireland at 16 and I went on to have seven or eight very happy years at Ewood Park. There were some good times, notably the League Cup win in 2002. They're a good side and like ourselves, one that should probably be higher up the league table. I may still look out for their results, but these days I'm Fulham through-and-through.

"It's still all very tight at the minute, at the top and the bottom. We're still only talking seven points separating the 13th place we currently find ourselves in and sixth-placed Liverpool. Both teams will be looking at three points on Saturday, but we have to have confidence that it can be us that makes the difference when it matters.

"We know how strong we can be at Craven Cottage – which has become a bit of a fortress for us in recent seasons, and with the fans behind us I can see no reason why we can't get the three points and push further up the table."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/DuffRoversPreview.aspx#ixzz1FScTuMJK

White Noise

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/3/2/2024932/the-future-looks-bright-the-future-looks-white

The Future Looks Bright - The Future Looks White

by Kristian Balkin on Mar 2, 2011 4:47 PM GMT

Craven Cottage was more sombre and quiet on the eve of 4th February than normal. Not through lack of football, as there was indeed a game, but, through an academy defeat that ended a hopeful run in the FA Youth Cup.

The 11 boys in white were left in despair as the youth team of Watford booked their place in the quarter final, ahead of Kit Symons' valient side.

Still though, much could be taken from a team of youngsters who outwitted their Chelsea and Arsenal counterparts with 5-1 and 3-1 wins, respectively.

As always with all things Fulham, though, our academy system is somewhat underestimated. We may not be on par with Arsenal's flawless set-up just yet, but we have a rigid efficiency to our academy that only allows the very best through, and we have, in Hughes, a manager who is willing to 'risk' playing them too.

In fairness, it's easy to understand why the Fulham academy is considered 'nothing special'. We've produced little since our promotion to the Premier League, with the likes of Elliot Omozusi, Zat Knight and Robert Milsom being our only notable (I use that term very lightly) successful graduates. Of course, you could count Manchester United defender Chris Smalling in that mix, but he did gain a fair amount of his footballing knowledge at non-league Maidstone.

Only recently has the quality of our youth system become noticeable. With Matthew Briggs' new deal comes a signal of intent that manager Mark Hughes is looking to the future, but, I wouldn't say his installation as manager was the turning point; more Roy Hodgson.

Really, it shouldn't take a manager to crate a youth team. It should be down to the coaches and the staff at that lower level who make the difference, but, I think the influence of Hodgson helped kick start a revolution for an overly fruitless academy. He was, however sporadicly and however sparsely, prepared to play them, and he installed a confidence in their play that made it simple for them to adapt to first team life; perfect for any youngster.

Hodgson's guidance of our youth team is fairly evident when you look at the players who have recently emerged from it. Smalling had a brief spell there, Briggs has flourished of late, Keanu Marsh-Brown is showing promise and Alex Smith is only steps away from Premier League football. What's the link? They're all defenders under what was a defensive regime.

But with Hodgson gone, what does it spell for our youth team? If anything, it's a good sign. Hodgson helped nurture the current team and in the process introduced a very capable team of staff, a very demanding work ethic and, crucially, a fantastic desire within the team.

His departure will not dispel those credentials. They will stay for the foreseeable future. Instead, the appointment of Hughes will allow a vaster array of talent to hit the big time. The likes of Marcello Trotta, Danny Hoesen and Richard Peniket will all be given their chance before long and will blossom in doing so.

Of course, youth isn't everything, but it's the basis on which football is fed. Big money signings may make the back pages but it's the young that should be developed, nurtured and cared for. Let's hope Hughes shares that same opinion.

White Noise

Steve Kean certain his 'unsackable' tag won't be tested despite Blackburn slump

By Chris Wheeler

Last updated at 11:01 PM on 2nd March 2011

Blackburn boss Steve Kean is confident his 'unsackable' tag will not be tested after seeing Rovers slip into the Barclays Premier League relegation battle.

Odds slashed: Kean

The club's Indian owners have guaranteed they will not fire Kean during the two-and-a-half-year contract he signed in January after stepping up to succeed Sam Allardyce at Ewood Park.

But the odds on him becoming the next Premier League boss to go have dropped to 6-1 from 50-1 after Saturday's 4-1 defeat at Aston Villa left his side seventh from bottom with a solitary draw from their last five games.

Blackburn's next two fixtures against Fulham and Blackpool have now taken on even greater importance, but Kean insists he is not feeling the pressure.

He said: 'Do I feel safe? Yes I honestly do. I spoke with the owners first thing Sunday morning after the Villa game and I'll continue to make my trips over there to give them an update.

'The plan is to get to 40 points as quickly as we can because it's going to be very, very tight.

'It's my job to make sure I get across to the players we need to pick up the points. We are taking full responsibility for the blip, and it is a blip.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1362324/Steve-Kean-certain-unsackable-tag-wont-tested-despite-Blackburn-slump.html#ixzz1FWGPL2Q7

White Noise

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/03032011/58/premier-league-match-facts-fulham-v-blackburn.html

Premier League - Match facts: Fulham v Blackburn

Thu, 03 Mar 12:44:00 2011

Clint Dempsey has scored four goals in his last four Premier League appearances against Blackburn.

Chris Samba has scored in the last two matches for Rovers against Fulham.

Fulham have won just one of the last nine Premier League games against Blackburn.

The Whites have kept just one shut out in their last 14 Premier League matches against Rovers.

Mark Hughes is unbeaten against his former club as a manager (two wins, two draws).

Fulham have kept four clean sheets in a row on home soil in the Premier League.

Blackburn have gone 14 Premier League away matches without keeping a clean sheet.

Rovers have lost six of their last seven Premier League away games.

Fulham have scored with just 10% of their shots this season, a lower conversion rate than any other team in the top flight.

Fulham are the only team in the top flight who have not picked up a red card this season.

Opta

White Noise

http://www.footballtransfertavern.com/2011/03/premiership/newcastle-united/hughes-e7m-target-being-scouted-by-newcastle-united?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TransferTavern+%28The+Transfer+Tavern+Home+Page%29

Hughes' €7M Target Being Scouted By Newcastle United

Date: 3rd March 2011 at 12:30 pm

Author: Stuart Coleman

Mark Hughes is understood to be preparing a summer bid for Auxerre captain, Benoit Pedretti, who would cost around €7million should Fulham succeed in bringing the player to the Premier League.

30-year-old Pedretti, who is a defensive midfielder and has 22 caps for France, is the current Auxerre captain, having joined from Olympique Lyonnais 4 and a half years ago.

The player, who won the French league with Lyon in 2006, was once hailed as the 'new Didier Deschamps' in France, where he has spent his whole career.

While he has not lived up the standards of current Marseille coach, Deschamps, Pedretti is a combative and experienced defensive midfielder who could help shore up Mark Hughes's midfield.

It is not just the Cottagers who have shown an interest in Pedretti however, as Newcastle scout Graham Carr has been seen at the Stade de l'Abbé-Deschamps in recent weeks.

Carr has been preparing reports for Alan Pardew, who is understood to be keen to add the Frenchman's experience and tackling to his Newcastle squad.

White Noise

http://www.offthepost.info/2011/03/top-five-mark-hughes-handshake-controversies/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+offthepost%2FTLAa+%28Off+The+Post%29

Top five Mark Hughes handshake controversies

Posted by Rob Parker on March 3, 2011

With Mark Hughes' handshake shenanigans only relegated from a full storm in a tea cup because he didn't pull a gun on anyone or elbow anyone in the head, OTP thought we had better stir things up a bit by looking at the track record of a man who loves making a minor post-match formality a serious diplomatic incident.

1. Roberto Mancini (February 2011)
Hughes' latest handshake controversy was his already infamous lesson in handshake etiquette to Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini. There was already no love lost between Hughes and his Eastlands successor when he took offence to Mancini's lack of eye contact. Hughes snatched his hand away and walked off telling Roberto that he ought to look at him in future.

2. Tony Pulis (September 2010)
With Stoke City defender Andy Wilkinson's injury-time red-card for a tackle that left Fulham's Moussa Dembele on crutches still fresh in his mind, Hughes fought back in the best way he knows: the handshake. Tony Pulis' advances were spurned and the traditional post-match custom ignored.

3. Tony Pulis (December 2010)
Sparky was the victim on this occasion as Stoke City boss Pulis refused to shake his hand. The incident was a revenge attack by Pulis for the aforementioned Craven Cottage snub. The Potters gaffer seemed to suggest nationality might play a part in the pettiness. He said: "He did it to me when we played in the League Cup and now I've done it to him. We're just two Welshman with a bit of competition in us."

4. Arsene Wenger (December 2009)
Again Hughes was on the receiving end (or not) as Wenger refused to shake hands during the Welshman's days in charge of Manchester City. The Arsenal manager cited Hughes' touchline behaviour as the catalyst. The then City boss had walked in front of Wenger's technical area shouting angrily, although he rejected suggestions he had been abusive towards his opposite number.

5. Sam Allardyce (August 2009)
Sparky attempted to pull some sort of ninja breakdancing handshake move on Sam Allardyce at the end of a Premier League match between Manchester City and Blackburn Rovers. Big Sam's mind-power won out and it was Hughes who came off worse.

Mark Hughes Falls Down High Quality

White Noise

http://www.footballfancast.com/2011/03/football-news/premier-league-preview-fulham-v-blackburn

Premier League preview: Fulham v Blackburn

Date: 3rd March 2011 at 11:09 am 

Written by FFC News Desk

Blackburn manager Steve Kean wants at least 10 more points to ensure Rovers stay in the Premier League.

Kean believes his players can make a start on the 42-point mark at Craven Cottage against Fulham on Saturday.

Rovers have collected 32 points so far but remain just four clear of the relegation zone.

With just six points covering the entire bottom half of the division, Kean feels teams will need to do more than usual to stay afloat.

"What we have seen is bottom can beat top. For the neutral it is exciting but for teams not in the top half you look at the fixture list and think go and get your own points," he said.

"The bottom three is changing every week and I am thinking everyone beneath the top is improving week on week."

"Maybe that is the reason why you are getting the results that will take the points tally I think to 42 points. You are going to need at least 42 points."

Rovers had appeared safe just a few weeks ago but a four-match winless run has dragged them back into the relegation battle.

"It is my job to make sure I get across to the players we need to pick up the points," Kean said.

"I hope I can get across we as a staff, me as a manager, the players, we are taking full responsibility for the blip and it is a blip."

"We need to make sure we get the results and we get them quick and we get back to the feeling of that winning formula and the feel-good factor that we are moving in the right direction."

Fulham are one spot ahead of Rovers on the league table in 13th, on the same number of points.

Mark Hughes' men have won only five league games at home this season but have drawn six with a shortage of goals at Craven Cottage (17 in 14 outings) a contributing factor.

The match will have special significance for Fulham's Republic of Ireland international Damien Duff.

Duff has great affection for Rovers but his heart now rests in London.

"Of course, that's where it all began for me," Duff told the Fulham website.

"I left Ireland at 16 and I went on to have seven or eight very happy years at Ewood Park."

"There were some good times, notably the League Cup win in 2002."

"They're a good side and like ourselves, one that should probably be higher up the league table. I may still look out for their results, but these days I'm Fulham through-and-through."

Duff is hoping to add to the equalising goal he scored against Manchester City on Sunday.

"It's still all very tight at the minute, at the top and the bottom," he said.

"Both teams will be looking at three points on Saturday, but we have to have confidence that it can be us that makes the difference when it matters."

White Noise

Fulham v Blackburn tickets

Barclays Premier League

Saturday 5th March

Kick-Off 15:00

Seatwave Fulham Ticket Exchange Now Open
With Fulham v Blackburn now sold out, Seatwave, Fulham's Official Ticket Exchange|, is now open for this game. If you're a Season Ticket Holder and can't attend this match, you can sell your ticket via Seatwave to another Fulham supporter and you'll even get some money back!

For those short of a match ticket, the exchange will give Fulham supporters the opportunity to get hold of genuine match tickets safely and securely.

Using the Fulham FC Ticket Exchange couldn't be easier:

1.Log on at www.seatwave.com/fulhamfc and activate your Fulham FC account. You will need your client reference number then simply follow the prompts.
2.Select the Blackburn match and list your ticket for sale.
3.Fulham FC Season Ticket Holders and Members can browse the site for your available tickets.
4.If your ticket sells, your season ticket for that match will be deactivated and the buyer will be sent a paper ticket (there's no need to hand over your card).
You will be reimbursed for your ticket directly into your bank account. (Your season ticket cost divided by 19, less a 10% + VAT seller's service charge). If your ticket does not sell you will be notified before the fixture.

For more information on the exchange please visit - http://www.seatwave.com/fulhamfc/ticket-exchange/FAQ|

Matchday Hospitality
With tickets now sold out there are a few remaining hospitality packages for the Whites' match against Blackburn Rovers. 

Further information on hospitality packages| for this match are available online or you can contact a member of the sales team by email [email protected]| or calling 020 8336 7555.

Matchday Info

Seat Moves & Upgrades
Seat moves are not available on the day of the game. Upgrades can be obtained by visiting the Ticket Office.

Refunds
Refunds will only be given on tickets if the match is cancelled or postponed. The ticket must be returned to the Ticket Office within 7 days of the rescheduling announcement, which shall be made on fulhamfc.com

Postponements
Tickets will remain valid for the rearranged match.

Lost Season Tickets / Match Tickets
Fans must report to Ticket Office where valid ID must be shown. £5 is charged to replace a lost access card.

Concession Ticket Holders
Supporters with junior and concession tickets are reminded to bring ID to the stadium in the event of being asked for proof of age on matchday.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/BlackburnHome.aspx#ixzz1FXxOlqmS

White Noise

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburnrovers/news/8886864.Blackburn_Rovers_striker_Roberts_targets_a_Fulham_repeat/?ref=rss

Blackburn Rovers striker Roberts targets a Fulham repeat

9:30am Thursday 3rd March 2011

Comments(3)  

By Andy Cryer

JASON Roberts admits Blackburn Rovers have to reverse their Premier League slump now as the scrap for survival starts getting a little too close for comfort.

The Rovers striker will hope to feature in Saturday's trip to Fulham as he looks to fire his side back winning ways after a four-match winless run.

Roberts scored a crucial winner at Craven Cottage back in 2009 to help steer Rovers to safety and he knows, sitting just four points clear of safety, they could do with a repeat this time around.

"It really is a big game," he said. "We've come to the point where we need to win a few games and shoot up the table.

"We're at that stage where we really need to win games.

"There's a lot of clubs in that clutch where if you lose a few you find yourself right down there, but if you win a few you find yourself shooting up the table.

"We're at that stage where we really need to win games.

"We're getting to the business end of the season now and there's a lot of exciting situations coming.

"It's just as exciting at the bottom as it is at the top."

cebu

This is just a reminder that this week's Fulham podcast is available here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/iffc

It features "Fulham grab a point at Man City, and there's no handshake for the boss".

White Noise

Spring Fashion

Thursday 3rd March 2011

Spring/Summer Fashion 2011

Introducing the new and exciting spring/summer range. It is now available in store and online so make sure you keep up with the latest trends and take advantage of a new and exciting range at fantastic prices!

|  Fulham Heavyweight Navy Hoody|

This zip through heavyweight hoody is finished with a vintage wash, available in navy blue and features a 'Fulham' logo applique across the chest, front pockets and a waffle lined, grey drawstring hood. Extra detailing includes a printed FFC Crest to the left sleeve and 'Est. 1879' tab to the back of the hood.

|  FFC Tonal Black Basic Tee|

This black tee features a tonal 'FFC' print to the chest and interior neck taping. Also available in grey.

|  FFC Lightweight Red Hoody|

This red lightweight hoody features an 'FFC since 1879' printed logo to the chest, front pocket and drawstring hood. Extra detailing includes 'Fulham Football Club' printed down the left sleeve and 'Est. 1879' tab to the back of the hood.

1879 Heavyweight Charcoal Hoody|

This zip through heavyweight hoody is of excellent quality, available in charcoal grey and features an '1879 Fulham Football Club' logo applique to the left chest, front pockets and a waffle lined, drawstring hood. Extra detailing includes a distressed 'London' applique across the back and 'Est. 1879' tab to the back of the hood.

There are even more products in the new spring/summer range; check them out| in the online store now. 

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/SpringSummerFashion.aspx#ixzz1FYuWMHrz

White Noise

Matchday Programme

Damien Duff gives his first in-depth interview since joining Fulham in this week's Official Matchday Programme as the club where he began his career visit SW6.

Blackburn Rovers are this weekend's opponents in a crucial game for both sides who share the same points tally, and thus the mutual aim of pulling away from the relegation zone.

The fixture also sees Rovers boss Steve Kean return to the Cottage, having been Assistant Manager here for a number of years, as well as Mark Hughes face-off against the team where he began his club management career.

The stage is therefore set for a thrilling Premier League encounter, and what better way to remember it in years to come than with the ultimate game day souvenir, the award winning Official Matchday Programme?

Buy a copy this weekend and you will also automatically be entered into a draw to win more than £100 worth of Jack Wolfskin goodies.

This week's essential Matchday read includes:

Damien Duff's first feature interview since joining the Club.
Manager Mark Hughes reflects on the draw achieved at Eastlands.
Danny Murphy sets targets for the remainder of the campaign in his Captain's Column.
Goalkeeper Neil Etheridge discusses his rise to stardom in the Philippines.
Hot prospect Danny Hoesen on his return from injury and First Team goals.
Expert Analysis from former Blackburn winger Jason Wilcox.
The popular Black & White Eye, rounds-up recent media coverage.
Match action from the matches against Bolton and Manchester City.
Contributions from the Fulham Faithful, interaction, and loads of fun for younger fans too.
Plus, so much more besides!

The brilliant publication will be on sale in and around the ground from two hours before kick-off and at half-time.

If you miss your copy outside then look out for sellers on the Putney and Hammersmith Terrace, or at half-time from the programme room situated inside the Johnny Haynes Stand by Block E (opposite Turnstile 24).

Buy Matchday Programmes online|

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Fanzone/FFCMatchdayProgramme.aspx#ixzz1FYwLgKbt

White Noise

http://thewildblackburnrover.blogspot.com/2011/03/enigma-that-is-rovers-away-support.html

The enigma that is the Rovers away support

I must admit I was more than a little surprised when I heard yesterday that Rovers have sold out their away allocation for this weekend's clash with Fulham at Craven Cottage. Not surprised in a "wow that never happens" sort of a way... more a "I wasn't expecting that" fashion.

For many years the travelling Rovers away contingent has been something of a Jekell and Hyde. At times it has been an embarrassment, with recent trips to Villa Park and White Hart Lane giving birth to the dreaded "what time's your minibus?" chant.

For years there have been times where the small local population has greatly hindered the numbers we take on away trips, when at times poor turnouts and a lack of noise meaning we might as well had sat at home with a brew, pipe and slippers.

Only Wigan, Fulham and Bolton give us a run for our money in the worst Premier League away support awards - if such awards existed.

But there are times when the Rovers travelling faithful can thrive. Little times here and there where the away support can be amongst the best out there and the numbers taken to some matches can be rightly described as a force.

Trips to Wigan, Bolton and Burnley in recent times have seen the Blue and White Army out in force but to a certain extent this is to be expected such is the proximity of the opposition.

But even in less fashionable fixtures such as in the 2-1 victory over Fulham two seasons ago (Wednesday night, relegation scrap, Diouf and Roberts scored for those with short memories) the Rovers fans can be deafening in noise and that night was one example of how loud we can be.

Further evidence can be found in this season's trip to West Brom at Christmas, the end of season trip to Villa last season and the season before that's visit to Hull City. On all those occasions, the blue and white was visible and loud.

It's just a shame that we can't be like that all the time. Saturday's visit to Craven Cottage seems to be an impressive away following which makes for a nice change - let's just hope the players respond to that.

White Noise

http://www.thisisdorset.net/sport/8889069.Fulham_striker_Dalla_Valle_to_train_with_Cherries/?ref=rss

Fulham striker Dalla Valle to train with Cherries

6:48pm Thursday 3rd March 2011

Comments(2)  By Neil Perrett »

FULHAM striker Lauri Dalla Valle has been invited to train with Cherries as boss Lee Bradbury continues his search for new recruits.

The 19-year-old is tomorrow set to link up with Bradbury's squad at Canford School and could be a possible loan target for the club.

Dalla Valle signed a three-and-a-half year deal with Liverpool in November 2007 and starred as the Reds reached the 2009 FA Youth Cup final.

The Finnish teenager, who was also a target for Chelsea, moved to Craven Cottage at the start of this season as part of the deal that took Paul Konchesky in the opposite direction.

Meanwhile, in a surprise move, Cherries midfielder Harry Arter has joined Carlisle United on a month's loan.

A summer signing from Woking, Arter has been restricted to just 15 appearances this term, nine of which came from the bench.

And with Mark Molesley on the verge of a return, Cherries boss Bradbury agreed to Arter's request to go out on loan.