watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jonathan Greening Signs 3 Year Contract

Started by White Noise, February 20, 2010, 01:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

I know I mentioned this previously when the 'Scarborough Evening News' had mentioned Jonno had just signed a new contract but they have now come out and said it is a 3 year contract. That is pretty specific and as its his home town paper I'm inclined to believe its true. How come the rest of the media have not picked up on it though? Come on Dave Kidd, I know you will be looking for scraps for tomorrow's paper - bang this in and let us know you read FoF!

http://www.scarborougheveningnews.co.uk/sport/Greening-backs-stadium-calls.6090240.jp

Greening backs stadium calls

By Staff Copy

JONO Greening believes that new footballing facilities in Scarborough are vital.

The 31-year-old, who has just signed a three-year deal with FA Cup quarter-finalists Fulham, graced the Athletic Ground's terraces on hundreds of occasions to watch Scarborough FC when he was growing up as a youngster in the town.

But now, with the club's former base lying in tatters, Greening is backing calls for a new ground to be built.

Jono's younger brother Josh plays for Scarborough Town at Pindar, while the other senior side - Scarborough Athletic -are turning out at Bridlington for their home games.

The Premiership midfielder said: "It is a huge shame what happened to the old club and now the old ground.

"I hear the odd thing about what is happening now from my mum and dad, but it is clear that a town the size of Scarborough does need a decent football stadium.

"I used to go down to the Athletic Ground as a boy with my dad and brothers. I was there for some important games, the most recent being the FA Cup match against the dark side in 2004, when Scarborough were unlucky to lose.

"When I first talk to players about where I am from, a lot of them have good memories of Scarborough.

"I was chatting to my Fulham teammate Danny Murphy the other day about when he played there, he said it had an amazing atmosphere for a small ground."

Jono has also been keeping check on the playing situation in Scarborough and says that making any strides back up the football ladder will be difficult with two senior sides competing in the town's name.

He added: "I'm not really sure which club has taken over form the old Scarborough. I know Josh plays for Town and I know somebody else who plays for Athletic.

"I'm sure the fans know a bit more about it than me, but I do think that football would move a lot quicker in the town if there was one side instead of two.

"At the moment there is a split in fans, but if one club could get everyone together then I'm sure it would improve the situation and a team could move up the footballing ladder a fair bit quicker."

Lighthouse

Well as he is offically here on loan I suppose officially the contract doesn't start until the end of the season. Most reporters are fair and would not divulge any pre contract news. ;D

But now you have done the job for them you can expect a few exclusives to appear soon.  ;D
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Chopper

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 20, 2010, 01:08:13 PM
Well as he is offically here on loan I suppose officially the contract doesn't start until the end of the season. Most reporters are fair and would not divulge any pre contract news.

But now you have done the job for them you can expect a few exclusives to appear soon. 

I assume as we had already agreed the terms of a permanent move when he first signed there's no issue with any confidentiality. Greening is now officially in the last 6 months of his WBA contract so able to sign a proper full contract with us anyway.

Can only imagine there is some tax benefit from doing it this way rather than signing him completely right from the off.
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Chopper on February 20, 2010, 01:41:19 PM
Well as he is offically here on loan I suppose officially the contract doesn't start until the end of the season. Most reporters are fair and would not divulge any pre contract news.

But now you have done the job for them you can expect a few exclusives to appear soon. 

I assume as we had already agreed the terms of a permanent move when he first signed there's no issue with any confidentiality. Greening is now officially in the last 6 months of his WBA contract so able to sign a proper full contract with us anyway.

Can only imagine there is some tax benefit from doing it this way rather than signing him completely right from the off.

Greening is contracted to WBA until 2011.

White Noise

I make you right Chopper on the tax thing. West Brom's financial year probably runs to the end of December so the transfer fee will now go into this tax year.

RidgeRider

That's great news I think. Jesus has done a great job for us so far and gives us added depth and experience in central mid and can play out wide as well. Roy is locking down the squad for the next few seasons which is comforting to see as we all know now how well this current squad plays together.  We can expect: hard work, good shape, excellent defense, and a squad of above average character players we can all be proud of for a few years to come.

finnster01

I am not sold on this at all. Jonathan Greening is already 31, in 3 years he will be 34. I don't think what we need is yet another old midfielder. That is also ignoring the fact I think he is a crap player in my opinion.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Dugliss

Was quite pleased when we first got him as the times I`d seen him play I thought he`d been quite impressive but he`s rarely done much in a Fulham shirt and imo gives the ball away far too easily

Chopper

Quote from: Mr Fulham on February 20, 2010, 02:01:15 PM
Quote from: Chopper on February 20, 2010, 01:41:19 PM

Greening is contracted to WBA until 2011.

Really? I'm sure it was mentioned he was out of contract this summer which is why I thought it odd we'd signed him on loan. Shows what I know!
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

SuffolkWhite

I think players can go on for longer these day with the medical support, so I think he will do well for us.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

The Badger

3 years does seem slightly generous for a 31 y/o, but i have faith in Roy's judgment - Greening is a useful squad member and can do a job when required, I just think that it would be wise for Roy to begin looking at slightly younger alternatives in regards to this particular position?

Roy must be aware that Murphy is coming on 33, so a long-term replacement is needed, a summer move for O'Hara perhaps?

TonyGilroy

Quote from: finnster01 on February 20, 2010, 02:28:44 PM
I am not sold on this at all. Jonathan Greening is already 31, in 3 years he will be 34. I don't think what we need is yet another old midfielder. That is also ignoring the fact I think he is a crap player in my opinion.

The stats show that we are twice the side when he plays. Literally.

Without him in the side we'd get pro rata 30 points a season - certain relegation.

With him it's 60 - European qualification.

Not the whole story no doubt but he's hardly a liability.

LRCN

greening's grown on me, he's not spectacular but he 'does a job' and does it well without anyone noticing what he does. what a strange player. 3 years is a bit too long, maybe he'll do a bit more coaching, maybe the 3 years includes this season. the season long loan is just a tax thing that west brom do (look at kuczak who went to united, davies who went to villa, robinson who went to bolton, I'm sure there's more). the fee probably includes greening's wages for this season which is probably worth 1, 1 and a half million. of course I'd rather get ohara or elm and I'm sure we'll get a younger midfielder who'll fill in for danny in the summer (or maybe brown will step up, but I have my doubts), but greening will do.

Serotonin

I'm underwhelmed. No real ambition on the ball, a forward pass now and again wouldn't go amiss.

Burt