Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (09.03.11)

Started by White Noise, March 09, 2011, 07:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/9418465.stm

Addicks sign young Fulham keeper Neil Etheridge  

Neil Etheridge first played international football for England's Under-16s

Charlton Athletic have signed young goalkeeper Neil Etheridge on loan from Premier League side Fulham.

The 21-year-old Enfield-born Philippine international will go straight into the Addicks squad for Tuesday night's trip to Milton Keynes.

Etheridge's signing comes in the wake of a dual weekend injury blow.

Rob Elliot picked up a hip injury in Saturday's 1-1 home draw against Tranmere, to be replaced by Ross Worner, who then suffered a dead leg.

Etheridge, who was on Chelsea's books as a schoolboy, is yet to make a first team appearance since making the short move to Fulham in 2006.

White Noise

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/cardiff-pay-the-penalty-after-dikgacois-finish-2236309.html#

Cardiff pay the penalty after Dikgacoi's finish

Crystal Palace 1 Cardiff City 0

By Paul Newman at Selhurst Park

Wednesday, 9 March 2011

Cardiff City have been helping to set the pace for much of the Championship season, but Dave Jones's team are in danger of running out of puff before they hit the finishing straight. A second defeat in four days was damaging enough, but the manner of Cardiff's loss at Selhurst Park last night should also be a major concern.

The result might have been different had Peter Whittingham not missed a second-half penalty during Cardiff's one spell of domination, but they created few clear-cut opportunities. Crystal Palace, unbeaten in 11 matches at home, are desperate for points at the other end of the table and deserved the win after another spirited performance.

Cardiff showed a curious lack of urgency in the first half. All too often they pushed forward at what felt like training ground pace. Kagisho Dikgacoi and David Wright cut off the supply lines to Jay Bothroyd, Michael Chopra and Craig Bellamy, and Julian Speroni barely had a shot to save in the first half.

Palace, in contrast, looked lively from the start and always tried to play the ball in early to their strikers. James Vaughan, a bundle of energy, had two decent chances in the first 12 minutes.

Stephen Bywater rushed off his line to deny the Everton loanee after he had cleverly controlled Wright's precise chip, while Kevin McNaughton came to the rescue after Dean Moxey's long through ball had released Vaughan. Vaughan's determined challenge on the edge of the penalty area created the best chance of the opening half, but Neil Danns missed the target from 12 yards.

There was more dynamism about Cardiff at the start of the second half, thanks largely to the decision to switch Jay Emmanuel Thomas to the right flank. The on-loan Arsenal midfielder went on a series of surging runs, one of which ended in a thunderous shot from 25 yards which Speroni pushed over.

Stephen McPhail tested the home goalkeeper with another fine strike from outside the penalty area and Palace, appearing to wilt under the pressure, conceded a penalty after 68 minutes when Wright handled Chopra's follow-up after Dekel Keinan's header had hit the crossbar. Whittingham, however, hit the post, his third miss from the penalty spot this season.

Four minutes later Palace thought they had scored, Vaughan netting after Bywater had failed to hold Danns' shot, but the striker was adjudged offside. With nine minutes remaining the home side made the breakthrough. Dikgacoi ran on to Pablo Counago's pass, appeared to overrun the ball, but managed to flick it past Bywater with his heel from 10 yards.

"It was a very hard-fought game," Dougie Freedman, Palace's manager, said afterwards. "We had desire and commitment and I thought we edged it."

Jones did not agree. "It's a game we should have won after the pressure we applied during the second half," he said.

Crystal Palace (4-4-2): Speroni; Clyne, McCarthy, Gardner, Moxey; Danns, Dikgacoi, Wright, Ambrose (Davis 85); Vaughan (Scannell 89), Iversen (Counago 69). Substitutes not used: Price (gk), Garvan, Zaha, Easter.

Cardiff City (4-4-2): Bywater; Quinn, Hudson, Keinan, McNaughton; Whittingham, McPhail, Bellamy, Emmanuel-Thomas (Parkin 84); Chopra (Burke 80), Bothroyd. Substitutes not used: Brown (gk), Rae, Gyepes, Blake, Matthews.

Referee M Russell (Hertfordshire).

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/03/08/2385757/maccabi-tel-aviv-claim-they-have-agreed-a-deal-to-sell

Maccabi Tel Aviv claim they have agreed a deal to sell teenager Omri Altman to Fulham

Cottagers to sign midfielder ahead of several Premier League sides

By Ryan Benson

8 Mar 2011 22:49:00

Fulham are set to sign 16 year-old midfielder Omri Altman from Maccabi Tel Aviv ahead of a number of Premier League clubs, according to the Israeli club.

Altman has attracted a lot of interest from Premier League clubs and it has been reported that he spent time training with both Liverpool and Arsenal during 2010.

A statement on Maccabi's club website read: "Maccabi Tel Aviv have reached agreement with English side Fulham for the transfer of youth player Omri Altman.
"The transfer is now dependant on him signing his professional contract."

Last year, Israel Under-17 coach Alan Hazan tipped Altman to become a big player. He told Israeli website One: "He has all the elements you look for in a player at the highest levels.

"He has physical fitness, excellent technical ability, and the ability to combine the defensive and attacking sides to his game intelligently, not like a 16 year old kid."

"He also has a great mentality, he always puts in the effort even though he knows his worth."

He also trained with Fulham too, and it is the Cottagers who have jumped to the front of the queue in order to sign the hotly tipped youngster with the deal expected to be finalised by the end of the week.

White Noise

http://fulham.theoffside.com/team-news/the-front-two-bobby-zamora-and.html

The Front Two: Bobby Zamora and...

By: samg | March 8th, 2011

For much of this season Fulham suffered with a lack of depth up front. They are now spoilt for choice in the striking department as they enter March.

With a combination of January signings and players who have recovered from injury, Mark Hughes can choose from:

Dembele, Dempsey, Gudjohnsen, Kakuta, Kamara, Johnson or Zamora.

It will be a case of picking two from this list as Fulham play 4-4-2. Bobby Zamora is certainly first choice. His reputation at Fulham is immense after a fantastic season last year that saw him win a call up to the England squad last August. With Zamora a given, the question will be who can work best alongside him?

Let's take the two Dems. Moussa Dembele was a £5m summer signing. Mark Hughes must have bought him with an intention to play him alongside Fulham's best striker. Use Zamora as a big target man; and use Dembele to feed of his presence. Dembele is a skillful player, which could complement Zamora's more direct approach.

Then there is Clint Dempsey who has proven his ability up front this season. He scores goals when they're needed, so much so that this he is currently Fulham's top scorer with 10 goals. But he's playing left midfield these days so can be excluded from the list.

Next, the two loanees. Eidur Gudjohnsen and Gael Kakuta were presumably brought in as contingencies and quality contingencies at that. Both would bring skill and energy to a game late on. If Zamora were to be subbed off, then Gudjohnsen could replace him. If Zamora is still on and the other striker is subbed off, then it'd be Kakuta.

Diomansy Kamara? Well, he's got pace and is good at running at defenders but unlikely to see a partnership with Zamora. Kamara has not much played much this season and doesn't look like he'll cut it. Still, don't write him off. Sometimes he comes out of nowhere and saves Fulham.

And finally, Andy Johnson. Brought into the club at the same time as Zamora in 2009. They have a tried and tested partnership. It was successful as Fulham reached 7th with them playing most of that season.

So it's a toss up between Dembele and Johnson. Out of promise and potential for what could be a great strike partnership, Dembele's your man. For a player who is in form and has experience working alongside Zamora, it would have to be Johnson.

But hang on a minute, experience working alongside Zamora? They got to a Europa League final you say? Yes, that was Zoltan Gera. Fulham played 4-4-1-1 during that time, which allowed Gera to work successfully with Zamora.

But even if Fulham resorted to that formation again, Gera is an unlikely candidate. Having only played bit parts this season as substitute, the role Gera thrived at last season would more likely fall to Dembele who is being given a lot more game time and who's style of drifting from midfield would also fit the movement of a 4-4-1-1 formation.

White Noise

Season Tickets

This season has seen an unprecedented demand for Season Tickets with a record number of supporters securing their place at all 19 Barclays Premier League home matches.

Demand for 2011/12 Season Tickets will be high given the significant number of SOLD OUT matches we've seen this season, seats will be extremely limited at Craven Cottage next season so get in early.

All current Season Ticket Holders will be contacted directly via email in the coming weeks with information on how to renew their season tickets online for the 2011/12 season. This will also include all other relevant 2011/12 Season Ticket package information.

For those fans that don't have a 2010/11 Season Ticket who are interested in purchasing a 2011/12 Season Ticket, please register your interest below to be the first in line when 2011/12 Season Tickets are launched.

Make sure you don't miss out!

Register your interest now

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/SeasonTickets.aspx#ixzz1G5QSCpgX

White Noise

Everton Screening

Get down to Craven Cottage on Saturday 19th March for a live screening of the Whites' away match against Everton.

Tickets for the screening are only £5 and pints are just £3 for the evening. Doors open at 4:30pm with Fulham v Everton scheduled to Kick-Off at 5:30pm.

For those fans that also want to catch the final 6 Nations rugby union match between England and Ireland, this will also be shown from 5pm.

Capacity is limited so make sure you and your friends book your place online now|.

Buy screening tickets now|

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/EvertonScreening.aspx#ixzz1G5Qm9DM3

White Noise

Bouncing Back

Tuesday 8th March 2011

You've had a difficult time within the past year Danny, how do you feel things are going for you now?
After being injured for seven months, I've been back for a month, I've played in three reserve games and scored in two of them. I was in the matchday squad against Bolton recently too, so things are good. After such a long period injured all you want to do is play. I've only been back for four weeks, but I've had positive things said about me, so I'm very happy.

For those that aren't aware, what was the injury that sidelined you for so long?
I went on loan to HJK Helsinki in Finland where all the games were played on astroturf, which is a more demanding surface for the body. I started feeling pains in my groin and I didn't think it was anything serious, but they took a scan and when the results came back they thought my career was finished. I walked on crutches for four weeks, then came back to England. Fortunately after two months with the physios here it was looking better.

Seven months is an awfully long time do be out of action, how difficult was it for you?
It was a hard period obviously, but I think I was lucky because I never really had a setback - every time I had a new scan it was looking better and better and I always believed that if I just kept working hard I'd get back to fitness and be playing again.

I'd like to give a special mention to the Academy physios, because they have been working with me every day and have been a big help in my recovery.

Well it's great to see you back Danny. As a young striker looking to make his way in the game, how much have you learned working with the strikers we have here?
A lot - they're all very good. I've been here three years now and I've said before what a great striker I think Bobby is – he's very strong, which is what you need in England. Being Dutch, I'd been following Mousa Dembélé in the Eredivise for several years too.

So you knew he'd be a hit here in the Premier League?
Playing in Holland was just too easy for him – it was like a training game. He can do a lot of things with the ball – he's my type of striker. He's very down to earth too, he says it like it is, and he tries to help me, so that's really good. We've become friends because he speaks Dutch, so that's been of great help to me.

You made your senior debut at Fortuna Sittard at the age of just 17. What was that like?
It was good, but Fortuna Sittard was quite a poor club and they were very low in the league. I always knew I could break through there, but you don't expect it at the age of 17. It was good, but I really wanted to move on, because at the time I was playing for the national youth team and I could see that some of my colleagues were a little further ahead of me. I needed to make the next step, and when Fulham came in for me it was the perfect opportunity.

So now you're back in action, what are your aims?
I feel very fresh after my injury. In a weird kind of way maybe it was good for me, because I've been able to get stronger in the gym and focus on other stuff. I feel very sharp and I believe I can break into the First Team and do a good job. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long for my opportunity.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/HoesenBouncingBack.aspx#ixzz1G5R7kQ2W

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/ref-watch/

Ref-watch

Filed under: Analysis — rich @ 12:40 pm

After Mark Clattenberg's late penalty award on Saturday, I wondered about referees and their impact on games.  How great an impact do they have?  Are some swayed by the home crowd?  Do others have subsconscious propensities to favour underdogs?  That sort of thing.  I don't know that these questions can really be answered, but the following culled from football-data.co.uk might make for interesting reading.

I took each game played in the Premier League over the last three seasons and, using somewhat arbitrary cutoffs, coded each according to what the bookies thought would happen.  There were five groups:  strong home win, home win, uncertain, away win, strong away win.   Then I looked to see what happened for each ref under each circumstance.

The results are as follows (see key for explanation, but for clarification: 13/17 means 13 home wins from 17 games where home team favoured to win; H% is home winning percentage in games that referee has overseen):

Some remarks:

A Marriner – Both upsets were Liverpool away games

A Wiley – nothing to declare

C Foy – Fulham's record with Chris Foy during Roy Hodgson's Great Escape in 07/08: P3, W3, D0, L0, Pts 9;  Fulham's record without Chris Foy: P15, W3, D3, L9, Pts 12.

H Webb – Unsurprisingly, highest number of games with no clear favourite, suggesting he's entrusted with the big ones (he often gets Liverpool v Utd and Liverpool v Everton)

L Mason – With Clattenberg, highest "home winning percentage"

M Atkinson – If the home team is favoured, it usually wins with Atkinson officiating (32/39)

M Clattenburg – All four of Clattenberg's big upsets were when the away team was strongly favoured (4/10).   These were at Wolves, Man City, Villa and Bolton, so hard to say he's being influenced by a baying crowd.  Has "denied" Man Utd four times when they were clear favourites away from home.  Has joint-highest "home winning %" with Lee Mason

M Dean – Lowest "home winning percentage", perhaps because he's the only ref to be given more games where away team is favoured than home team is favoured.  Despite this, high number of big upsets, including three over Man City

M Halsey – Has overseen two big upsets over Chelsea (at Wolves and at Birmingham)

P Dowd – Most "surprising" results overall (upsets + surprises). Home teams have won seven out of ten games when away team favoured

P Walton – Gets a lot of games with one side strongly favoured, and rarely oversees an upset.  Solid and unspectacular or not trusted with conflict?

S Attwell – Has only been given one game where away team is favoured (Spurs at B'ham), which probably causes the relative lack of surprises.  Is he being broken in gently?  Is it working?  Has never refereed United or Chelsea, but has overseen Hull and Portsmouth five times each

S Bennett – Not a single upset on his watch!

White Noise

PSG consider making £4m summer offer for City's Wright-Phillips

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 7:40 AM on 9th March 2011

Paris Saint-Germain are interested in Manchester City's Shaun Wright-Phillips.

The winger is out of contract in the summer of 2012 and PSG are weighing up a £4million offer.

The 29-year-old was wanted on loan by Fulham and Bolton but City pulled the plug when Adam Johnson picked up an ankle injury.

Out of favour: Wright-Phillips has rarely featured for City this season

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1364312/PSG-consider-summer-Citys-Shaun-Wright-Phillips.html#ixzz1G5UjMqZK

White Noise

He will no doubt be thinking this now, even though Mark Clattenburg is said to be standing down for March, disillusioned with the criticism and what he perceives as a lack of support for officials from the authorities.

Perhaps Scudamore is right; perhaps this is a passing storm that will soon be replaced by the excitement of the Champions League or a reignited title race. If England lose in Wales, nobody will be talking Clattenburg.

Yet to pretend a problem goes away when the negative headlines fade is highly complacent, too. Increasingly, English referees do seem confused about the rules having permitted so much that is illegal.

On Saturday, Clattenburg awarded Fulham a late penalty against Blackburn Rovers for a holding offence by Grant Hanley on Aaron Hughes. Fine, but why then? Everybody knew a foul had been committed by Hanley at Fulham, but they were perplexed as to why this one was penalised ahead of so many others.

Clattenburg stomping off in a self-righteous huff does little to address this issue. Some believe he gave that penalty knowing he had missed one earlier, for a foul on Andy Johnson. How convenient that English football allows its officials the safety net of loose  interpretation, to tidy up those awkward moments when applying the rules is too much like hard work; or circumstances need adjusting.

Livid: Blackburn players surround Clattenburg after the final whistle at Craven Cottage

Clattenburg, like many referees, is believed to favour the post-weekend review system that would right the most obvious wrongs.

FIFA allow this, no matter what the FA claim.

'I check this regulation with the FIFA executive regularly,' said Alex Horne, the FA's general jellyfish, sorry, secretary. 'As FIFA regulations are written, if the incident has been seen by the referee we can't review.' He then blathered something about respect being high on the FA's agenda and trotted out a glib slogan: 'No referee, no game.' The smoke and mirrors department would have been proud. Next week, Horne will mouth shallow platitudes about the grass roots, while head of press Julian Eccles drinks a glass of water.
You've got to admit, it's a hell of a show.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1364334/Martin-Samuel-Stop-violence-kiss-football-goodbye.html#ixzz1G5Xc4UZr

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/mar/08/mick-mccarthy-jamie-ohara-wolves?INTCMP=SRCH

Mick McCarthy keen to sign Jamie O'Hara for Wolves permanently

• £5m move is dependent on Wolves staying in Premier League

• Midfielder on loan from Spurs has scored twice in four games

Press Association guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 8 March 2011 15.29 GMT Article history

Jamie O'Hara, left, has impressed for Wolverhampton Wanderers since arriving on loan from Tottenham in January. Photograph: Matthew Childs/Action Images

The Wolves manager, Mick McCarthy, has revealed his desire to sign the on-loan Tottenham midfielder Jamie O'Hara on a permanent basis. But any deal for a player valued in excess of £5m would be dependent on Wolves maintaining their Premier League status.

The 24-year-old moved to Molineux last month with a view to completing a permanent move if it suited both parties. He has netted twice in four games and has already played an important part in the battle for survival.

McCarthy told the Wolverhampton Express and Star: "I want to sign him and I think Jamie would be happy to come. It will all be dependent on whether we can offer him Premier League football, though.

"If we were safe there would be no doubt that a deal would be done. Jamie wants to come and we want to sign him."

McCarthy is keen to complete the deal after losing out in the race to sign Steve Sidwell from Aston Villa in January. Sidwell had agreed to move to Wolves but was prised away at the 11th hour by Fulham.

McCarthy said: "You can have a deal agreed on anything but, until it's signed somebody can scupper it.

"Jamie is here until the end of the season, for the next nine games. But, if it all could be done tomorrow, I'd sign him if we could."

White Noise

Detractors go quiet as Hughes pushes Fulham in right direction

Going in the right direction: Fulham boss Mark Hughes

It is not that long since Fulham fans were jeering Mark Hughes and agitating for a new manager.

His detractors have probably conveniently forgotten their objections by now, but his departure is on the agenda still and they should have been more careful with what they wished for.

The reasons to doubt Hughes' longevity at Craven Cottage now are, of course, very different.

By guiding Fulham almost to safety, his reputation as a bright young manager remains intact and his desire to manage a bigger club seems very much alive.

Chelsea and England are far fetched destinations he has been linked with, but Fulham fans who were calling for his head must have noticed his willingness to talk recently about other jobs.

Hughes is an ambitious manager who has built Fulham steadily this season. Never mind the 14 draws, Bobby Zamora is fit again and a top 10 finish could be on the cards.

Given time and resources, Hughes could deliver relative success but right now another season at Fulham might be the longest his relationship with the club will last.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1364511/Arsenal-boss-Arsene-Wenger-needs-calm-pressure-players--Leos-London.html#ixzz1G6ejgGIq

White Noise

Great Potential

Wednesday 9th March 2011

After two impressive performances for the First Team against Port Vale and Chelsea in 2010, Matthew Briggs' progress was brought to a shuddering halt at the Emirates in early December due to injury.

Thankfully the England U19 international has fully recovered and put pen-to-paper on a new deal with the Club, and Manager Mark Hughes believes the youngster has a bright future ahead of him at Craven Cottage.

"We've been really impressed with Matthew, certainly since I've come to the Club," Hughes explained. "He's had a few injury problems but hopefully he's over them because they were holding him back.

"When I picked him at Arsenal that [injury] came to the fore and we knew something significant was going on that needed to be addressed. Thankfully we seem to have resolved that and he can start featuring for us.

"It's important for young players to have the security of understanding they know where they're going to be for a number of years and they can focus on developing as a player and person and make a good start to their professional careers.

"Matthew has a real opportunity and great potential. Hopefully if we can keep the injuries to one side he will have a great career."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/BriggsPotential.aspx#ixzz1G6f5FYAE

White Noise

Man on Fire

Wednesday 9th March 2011

Damien Duff is a notoriously serene character; but one who comes to life with the ball at his feet.

A player who has spent the majority of his career out on the wing, where his marauding runs and arresting change of pace evoke memories of dribblers of a bygone age. With his loping stride and unconventional gait, the Republic of Ireland international is a beguiling mix of fluency and endeavour, making him the scourge of full-backs for almost a decade-and-a-half.

Considered a precocious talent from the moment he made his professional debut in May 1997 at the age of 18, Duff has won two Premier League titles and two League Cups. He was also his country's standout player at the 2002 World Cup.

Duff, who turned 32 last week, has also been influential in the white and black of Fulham where, through his honest determination and vibrant edge, he has won many admirers during his 18 months at Craven Cottage.

"This is my second season at the Club and I'm very happy with how things have gone for me here," explains Damien. "To be honest, I have loved every minute. The team enjoyed a great season last year, so that made for a good start to life here. The Europa League Final was the pinnacle really.

"The current season has been a bit mixed, but results and performances have picked up since the start of the year – and we're doing well. We've enjoyed a good run of form and hopefully we can keep adding to that. There's a fair bit of football to be played and we have ambitions of finishing the season as strong as possible."

With an obvious attacking flair, Duff has rarely failed to catch the eye. But he also impresses with the contribution that he makes defensively, with words of praise flowing exuberantly from his team-mates. He is a player that can fit into almost any tactical plan – a case first proved under Roy Hodgson and now Mark Hughes.

A switch from a more familiar position on the left flank to the right has also proved beneficial, with his ability to cut inside now a key component of the Whites' attacking armoury. It comes as little surprise also to hear that he is relishing the team's newfound creative freedom.

"There has been a shift in philosophy," he admits. "And, of course, it's one that works well for me. In the past, maybe we were more about containing teams and keeping our shape, but now we're going at teams, and from the moment we get on the ball we're breaking very quickly.

"Last season, Roy moved me to the right and it's a shift in position that has, for whatever reason, proved a positive one. To be honest, I'm probably more comfortable on the right these days. It's a role that I have really taken to.

"Of course, throughout my career I've played on the other side of the pitch, but I certainly don't feel out of place on the right. I like to cut inside to either get a shot on goal or pick a pass to a team-mate. That said, I still feel that I have the ability to go on the outside and get a ball into the box. It's good to have those options."

Like many at Fulham, Duff is evidently enjoying life at Craven Cottage after experiencing mixed fortunes at a former club, in his case Newcastle. At Chelsea he had held down a place in what was arguably the most competitive midfield in world football at the time, and he moved to St. James' Park with ambitions of further success.

"I had a great time at Chelsea, where I won two Premier League trophies and a League Cup," recalls Damien. "But the time came to move on and Newcastle was an exciting challenge. It goes without saying that I went there to do well, but despite giving my all in the three years that I was there, things just didn't work out.

"I'm the first to admit that, and it's something that unfortunately happens in football. I don't look back on that period with the happiest of memories, which is a shame, but then again, anyone that was at the game here when we played Newcastle last month would have seen that they don't have the fondest memories of me either.

"But I've moved on, and I like to think that I have found my feet again here at Fulham. It's a good environment and one that players feel very comfortable in. This is a club with so much character and I'm very happy to be helping move it forward."

Having made his professional debut almost 14 years ago, Duff made his 500th league appearance in the 1-1 draw at Wigan in January and having shaken off a niggling calf injury, his time at the top looks set to continue for a while yet.

Aided by a boundless enthusiasm for the game, his sheer passion just to play makes him an intriguing footballing persona and one that seemingly exists outside the hype of the modern game.

"It's nice to be back in the team and playing well," confesses Damien. "I had a few injury problems early on in the season, but thankfully they appear to be behind me now. I feel fit and sharp, and I'm loving my football as much as I ever have done.

"Fulham have always been a good footballing side and I knew that I could fit into that. You can never be sure of how things will work out, I'm someone that knows that only too well, but it has gone well for me here and long may that be the case.

"I've never been one to spend a lot of time talking - I like to leave that for others. I don't like bragging about things I may have done or achieved. For me, the time to talk is when you've finished playing.

"I'm sure I'll look back at some point and think a bit differently, but when the time is right. For now, I'm more concerned about concentrating on my football and giving my all for this club. I've been in the game for a while now, but I still have a lot more to give."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/DuffFeature.aspx#ixzz1G6fr3YkD

White Noise

Looking Up The Table

Wednesday 9th March 2011

Bobby Zamora was back on the score sheet last weekend, hitting the winner against Blackburn at Craven Cottage. With the Whites having won a penalty late on, Zamora bravely stepped up and clinched all thee points.

Looking back on the game, Brede Hangeland was certainly pleased to see Zamora's spot kick nestle in the back of the net.

"It was a difficult game," Hangeland said. "I felt that we were the better team but Blackburn battled really well and came back into the game twice. So it was really nice to get that goal at the end and for Bobby to score it.

"It was just a great moment for everyone involved with the Club, especially for him of course. We've missed him, but he was there for everyone to see. He's back; he gave a good performance and scored a goal so we're very happy for him.

"We're certainly looking up the table more than down and I think if we perform well from now until the end of the season we could finish in the top half – that's certainly the aim now."

Fulham certainly had a wealth of attacking option to choose from on Saturday, with Zamora, Gael Kakuta, Simon Davies and Eidur Gudjohnsen all waiting to back up the likes of Andrew Johnson, Mousa Dembele Clint Dempsey and Damien Duff.

"It's great, that's what we want all the time," said Hangeland when questioned on the subject of attacking options. "There have been some hard times this season when all of our front men were injured so to have them all back is a great relief. There's competition for places and that's only a good thing for us.

"Injuries are part of football and we've been unlucky the front men this season but to be where we are now is quite good and we're looking to do even better in the latter stages of the season."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/HangelandStrikingOptions.aspx#ixzz1G6gGFFoi

White Noise

http://www.dcunited.com/youth-soccer/2011/03/local-family-moves-to-london-for-fulham-opportunity

Local family moves to London for Fulham opportunity

William and Michael Moravek are set to join Fulham youth system

Potomac Soccer Wire potomacsoccerwire.com

Friday, March 4, 2011 - 3:23pm

How far would you go to fulfill your child's soccer dreams?

Millions of parents across the United States spend large sums of money, and drive thousands of miles, in order for their kids to take part in elite club leagues, Olympic Development Program and the like. Bill Moravek was once one of them, driving his young sons William (age eight) and Michael (age seven) from Winchester, Va. to Bethesda, Md. several times a week for practices and games with Bethesda Soccer Club, where Moravek also coached.

But he always wanted to give his boys, whose mother, Cheryl, is English, the best possible chance to develop their natural abilities. So Moravek began traveling across the United Kingdom in search of a professional club that would offer his sons the right opportunity.

That long process finally paid off in January when English Premier League side Fulham FC accepted William and Michael into their youth system and hired Bill, an A-licensed coach who has led clubs and national teams in England and the Caribbean, as a trainer and international scout.

"The boys are very fortunate to have such an opportunity as this," said Moravek in a trans-Atlantic interview with Potomac Soccer Wire on Friday. "Getting into an academy is not easy and we have been back and forth now for the last three years, exploring potential clubs.

"They have been to Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham, Bolton and Southampton during that time frame. We narrowed our choices to Arsenal and Fulham in the end, and for me Fulham was the better choice overall, as their kids were fantastic but also the schools in the area were good and south London is quite nice."

Eyeing the extended winter break that is the norm for youth players in the mid-Atlantic, Bill and Cheryl decided to make the move to London as quickly as possible to integrate the boys into England's almost-year-round training environment. They have settled into a quiet neighborhood that is a 20-minute walk from Fulham's Motspur Park headquarters.

The club's youth program is overseen by Huw Jennings, the man who helped build the Southampton FC academy into one of the best in England, churning out young stars like Theo Walcott and Gareth Bale.

"Huw was one of the bigs reason why we came to Fulham," said Moravek, who spent part of his own coaching career at Southampton under former manager Gordan Strachan several years ago, when the Saints played in the Premier League.

"He has only been at the club for two years but the changes he has made have been massive. Also, Malcom Elias, who was head scout at Liverpool, is here. Between the two of them and the quality players they have recognized and developed, they have a great track record."

Moravek Soccer School

Michael is a bit too young to sign with the Cottagers academy proper, but has joined the club's Under-7/Under-8 development program and looks on course to follow his brother in the months ahead.

And while the long road to a successful career has only just begun, the elder Moravek sibling looks well-placed to make waves in the Fulham system. Blessed with speed and endurance as well as strong technique, William has so far held his own against bigger, older boys at the U-10 level, where ruthless competition is the norm just as it is at the senior level.

"When they tested him at Fulham last year with the age group above him in the 30 meters, 30 meters agility and vertical leap, he [placed] 2-4 out of 15 boys in all of it," noted his father, "and he is giving away nearly two years to these boys.

"All these boys are tough, inner-city kids," he added. "When William came in January, the players were constantly trying to fight him – literally. Very physical, trying to intimidate him."

Perhaps most importantly, William also appears to possess a focus and drive that is rare at his age.

"The first day we got here, after signing his contract, William said, 'I am so happy to be here, now I can start living my dream. If I work real hard I can make it,'" recalled Moravek.

The ultra-professional environment of a Premier League club's youth academy would seem to offer his sons the ideal chance to grow into elite players. But Moravek knows how tenuous such situations can be, and he hopes to keep them grounded and out of the limelight as much as possible.

"They are both on cloud nine," he said, "but as in life, there are no guarantees, and especially with this high end of football, things can change quite dramatically very quickly. So they need to just have fun, have a good attitude, stay humble, listen and work very hard. That is all they can really do – the rest will happen the way it should."

White Noise

Zamora and Gera on Target

Wednesday 9th March 2011

Philippe Senderos continued his return to full fitness on Wednesday afternoon at Motspur Park. Bobby Zamora and Zoltan Gera got on the score sheet as the Whites lost 3-2 in a friendly against Reading.

The Whites fielded an experienced side with Zamora and Diomansy Kamara leading the line in front of a strong midfield. Simon Davies joined Jonathan Greening in the centre of the park with Gael Kakuta and Gera occupying the wings.

The visitors took the lead in the fifth minute when a cross from the right flank was nodded in at close range past David Stockdale. It was a goal very much against the run of play as Fulham proceeded to dominate possession and soon netted the equaliser on 12 minutes with a fine finish from Gera.

The goal came after Kakuta tried to feed a short pass through to Zamora in the penalty area; the ball was cleared into the path of Gera who placed an accurate finish inside the far post.

David Stockdale had to be quick off his line on 19 minutes to deny a good one-on-one opportunity, reaching the ball first with a well-timed sliding tackle.

Reading retook the lead on 24 minutes after a well-weighted through pass was played in behind the Whites' defence creating another one-on-one situation which, this time, was successfully converted.

Despite going behind, Fulham continued to maintain the upper hand in terms of possession and only a goal line clearance on 40 minutes denied Gera his second of the game. The Hungarian international again went close again moments later, clipping the outside of the post with a firm effort from 15 yards.

Reading, despite their lack of possession, still posed a significant threat on the counter-attack.

The second-half saw a flurry of substitutions from both sides - Diomansy Kamara made way for Danny Hoesen on 51 minutes in a like-for-like swap.

Bobby Zamora equalised for the Whites on 55 minutes with a delightful finish after a fine forward pass from Gera. Zamora produced a sublime touch with his right foot to lift the ball over the Reading keeper from the narrowest of angles.

Senderos' involvement ended just after the hour when he was replaced by Cheick Toure. Fulham then made two further changes on 65 minute with Zamora and Matthew Briggs being replaced by Marcello Trotta and Josh Pritchard respectively.

Trotta combined delightfully with Davies shortly after his introduction, laying off a wonderful first-time pass into the path of Welshman which allowed him to break through a high Reading back line – unfortunately the move was snuffed out in the penalty area by some determined defending. Reading rounded off the scoring with the winner in the 74th minute.

Fulham: Stockdale; Kelly, Senderos (Toure 61), Halliche (Pierre 82), Briggs (Pritchard 65); Gera, Davies (Harris 80), Greening, Kakuta; Kamara (Hoesen 51), Zamora (Trotta 65)

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/ReservesvReading.aspx#ixzz1G8X6CKrw

White Noise

Through the Ranks

Wednesday 9th March 2011

Neil Etheridge has made the leap from Academy goalkeeper to international performer in the blink of the eye.

The gifted stopper joined Fulham as a 15-year-old hopeful, but quickly became one of the Club's brightest talents. His performances caught the eyes of the England youth selectors, but having represented his country of birth at Under-16 level, it has been his mother's home nation where he has arguably made his greatest impression.

Having won his first full cap for the Philippines in 2008 during the AFC Challenge Cup, Enfield-born Etheridge has been catapulted to star status.

"It's a bit surreal to be honest," explains Neil. "There is a lot of interest whenever I go back there and it's funny because over here I live a quiet life – not too many people recognise me if I'm honest.

"But in the Philippines they're crazy for the team - you get mobbed. Obviously, because I'm part of the set-up at a Premier League club, that's massive for them. The fans want to hear all about it – and that's nice.

"I try and take it all in my stride, and as a result I've had to grow up very quickly. It is like living two different lives. It was difficult to get my head around at first, but it's a fantastic experience to be part of."

Consequently, Etheridge has seen parts of the world that few in his situation would witness. Running out against the likes of Brunei, Bhutan and Tajikstan is a far cry from the Surrey confines of Motspur Park.

At 21, he has 19 caps to his name and looks set to become an important player for the Philippines for many, many years to come.

"That's not a bad amount of international caps for someone my age," says Neil. "I'm seeing places that I never thought I would see and at the recent South East Asian Games I played in front of a crowd of more than 100,000.

"We did really well to reach the semi-final, the furthest the country had gone in a very long time, so it was a special moment not just for myself, but the whole nation. It was an unforgettable experience for us.

"To play in front of that many people was mind-blowing, and I'm sure that when the day comes that I make an appearance for the First Team, it will be something that will have stood me in good stead.

"Football in the Philippines is on the up and a lot of time and money has been invested. The game means so much to the people, and already the hard-work is showing results. We have lots of new coaches and facilities, and that's very positive.

"I like to think that I have become a key member of the squad, and I want to be part of the journey for as a long as I can. I look forward to being involved and helping the team – it's exciting."

Etheridge was initially on the books of SW6 rivals Chelsea in his early teens, and whilst he admits that his opening education there taught him a lot, he cites his six years at Fulham as being the most beneficial.

"It's at Fulham where I have made my progression," reveals Neil. "I've learned a lot here and I feel, particularly in the last 18 months, that I have come on leaps and bounds. I feel more confident and a real part of the First Team squad now.

"It's difficult when you first come up from the Academy – it takes a little while to assert yourself. I've worked my way up through the scholarship and I'm very proud of that. It wasn't that long ago that I was playing for the Under-18s, although it does feel like a long time now.

"I try and keep in touch with the players I came through with - it's only Matty Saunders and Matthew Briggs that remain here from that group now. That just shows how fine the line is at this level and you just don't know where this game will take you.

"As a result I'm determined to prove my worth and hopefully be a part of things here as well. You have to adapt quickly and show what you can do – for a goalkeeper sometimes that can be extremely difficult."

Having spent part of the 2008/09 season out on loan at Isthmian League Division One South club Leatherhead, Etheridge has maintained a regular place in Billy McKinlay's Development Squad starting XI.

His advancement has also seen Mark Hughes name him on the bench for 10 of his First Team squads as David Stockdale moved up to fill in for the absent Mark Schwarzer – an indication of the regard in which Etheridge is held.

"I may not have played, but I still look back on that period at the start of the season and then at the turn of the year as pivotal moments for me," he says. "It was just such a rewarding experience to be part of the squad on matchday.

"I got to go to grounds like Anfield and, of course, walk out behind the team at Craven Cottage. At this stage of my career I can't ask for much more. Training with the First Team every day is one thing, but travelling with the Manager and the players on the day of the game is what it's all about.

"It was another surreal experience, but one that was also very, very enjoyable. It goes without saying that I want more of the same.

"It would mean a lot for myself, my family and my country."

UP CLOSE WITH NEIL ETHERIDGE
My main strength is my shot shopping – if it wasn't I'd be in the wrong position!
Although my weakness is probably my footwork perhaps?
The biggest influence on my career has been Pascal Zuberbühler - a mentor and father figure.
My favourite Fulham player is Mark Schwarzer. I aspire to be like him.
Growing up my footballing idols were Peter Schmeichel and David James.
The best moment of career so far was making my international debut.
Three words that best describe me are: confident, cheeky and hard-working.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/EtheridgeThroughtheRanks.aspx#ixzz1G8XT19uK

Mr Fulham

Quote from: White Noise on March 09, 2011, 08:37:00 PM
The biggest influence on my career has been Pascal Zuberbühler - a mentor and father figure.
http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/EtheridgeThroughtheRanks.aspx#ixzz1G8XT19uK

Now that's an interesting one - the fact that he mentions Zuberbuhler - not Schwarzer, for instance, shows what "Zubi" is all about. He's a very positive character and a real inspiration for the team in general and the youth team in particular. He's just a great lad to have. Does anyone remember his "box champion"-story in the 2008's "Christmas video"? Epic!