watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Help?!

Started by TheInsider, March 13, 2011, 12:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheInsider

My computer has a serious problem it has a Trojan Virus. Anyone had one before? If so what can I do to get rid of it?
Thanks.

ImperialWhite

I had one, potentially pretty serious (or so I'm told by my departments IT guy).

First, I'd find someone who knows computers who can check your computer. Trojans can be quite bad - I had a key logger trojan, which tracks your typing so that it can steal passwords for fraud purposes.

Second, run anti-virus software. Try Microsoft Essentials - free, and pretty good:
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Thirdly, if you do online shopping or banking, or anything like that, change your passwords. Like I said above, some trojans are key loggers, so change your passwords before they try and use them.

FatFreddysCat

Put it in the washing machine on a low temperature wash  :54:

FatFreddysCat

Or i'm sure the Equalizer might be able to help when he stirs from his pit.

finnster01

Take two aspirins and stay in bed until the temperature has come down.

Those trojan condom burns can be nasty.  :58:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

TheInsider

Quote from: ImperialWhite on March 13, 2011, 12:18:15 AM
I had one, potentially pretty serious (or so I'm told by my departments IT guy).

First, I'd find someone who knows computers who can check your computer. Trojans can be quite bad - I had a key logger trojan, which tracks your typing so that it can steal passwords for fraud purposes.

Second, run anti-virus software. Try Microsoft Essentials - free, and pretty good:
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Thirdly, if you do online shopping or banking, or anything like that, change your passwords. Like I said above, some trojans are key loggers, so change your passwords before they try and use them.

Thanks its much appreciated and I'll give it a go.

Burt

Mr Insider sir,

There are a few forums that will have info on these e.g. Techguys, PCAdvisor, etc. If you can't find any threads then you can join and post a message about it, and within an hour you will get plenty of advice. You may need to ask them to dumb it down a bit (I find they assume anyone who posts on there must know their core processor from their static IP) but it should do the trick.

TheInsider

Quote from: Burt on March 13, 2011, 09:46:52 AM
Mr Insider sir,

There are a few forums that will have info on these e.g. Techguys, PCAdvisor, etc. If you can't find any threads then you can join and post a message about it, and within an hour you will get plenty of advice. You may need to ask them to dumb it down a bit (I find they assume anyone who posts on there must know their core processor from their static IP) but it should do the trick.

Thanks very much, I hadn't thought of that.

The Equalizer

Microsoft Essentials is better than it used to be, but I've noticed that no single malware program or anti-virus program is likely to pick up every single trojan or virus out there.

I usually try the following free software:

www.malwarebytes.org
www.avast.com

These two are some of the best checkers out there.

For more experienced users, it is worth checking to see what processes are running in Task Manager, or even checking the services that are running at start-up (Go to start, run and type 'MSCONFIG')

For inexperienced users and Fat Fred be VERY CAREFUL when using MSCONFIG as removing or disabling the wrong program could cause serious problems on your computer.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

finnster01

Quote from: The Equalizer on March 13, 2011, 10:49:42 AM
For inexperienced users and Fat Fred be VERY CAREFUL when using MSCONFIG as removing or disabling the wrong program could cause serious problems on your computer.
Mr Eq,
So does that mean enjoying a Moroccan Black whilst typing MSCONFIG here, there and everywhere is a bad idea? :002:

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

The Equalizer

Quote from: finnster01 on March 13, 2011, 10:54:50 AM
Mr Eq,
So does that mean enjoying a Moroccan Black whilst typing MSCONFIG here, there and everywhere is a bad idea? :002:

I wouldn't normally mix marijuana and computing.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Nick the Swede

www.malwarebytes.org
www.avast.com

I'd add http://www.lavasoft.com/ to the list as well. Has quite often found malware when other programs has failed. But as Eq says, you are better off running a selection of programs than just the one.

Good luck!
-"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"