watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

MLS season to kickoff Tuesday

Started by RidgeRider, March 13, 2011, 07:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalJoe

RR, I also grew up outside of Portland (Lake Oswego) and my first pro game was at the Timbers in the 70's (remember the giant janzen swimwear model on the outfield wall?). Have never been able to warm up to the Galaxy or Chivas, but will root for Portland. Haven't been to the Home Depot Center in a couple of years, but am planning on it and especially looking forward to DC United and (fingers crossed) a healthy Charlie Davies coming to town.
You can observe a lot by just watching.

RidgeRider

Quote from: SoCalJoe on March 18, 2011, 05:33:02 PM
RR, I also grew up outside of Portland (Lake Oswego) and my first pro game was at the Timbers in the 70's (remember the giant janzen swimwear model on the outfield wall?). Have never been able to warm up to the Galaxy or Chivas, but will root for Portland. Haven't been to the Home Depot Center in a couple of years, but am planning on it and especially looking forward to DC United and (fingers crossed) a healthy Charlie Davies coming to town.

Nice to hear Joe. We lived there at the same time. I lived in Lake Grove for a bit but the rest of the time I lived in Beaverton.

I do remember the Janzen model. Small world. We used to go to the lake as a wee lad to watch the fireworks in Lake Oswego when I was very young. Lake Oswego was always a nice place.

RidgeRider

Quote from: duffbeer on March 18, 2011, 02:38:55 PM
Quote from: RidgeRider on March 17, 2011, 01:36:22 AM
Quote from: HatterDon on March 16, 2011, 03:58:15 PM
wow, Mo. I got chills.

Gave me chills too. Heading up Tuesday to see my Dad again. Thanks for sharing Mo. You are forgiven for the "attack".  :dft012:

I wouldnt go forgiving me too soon Ridge.  I havent forgiven you for not properly supporting the USA, or for not recognizing how exceptional they and how truly blessed we are to be witnessing this era of soccer in the USA.

Thats ok Mo, I still forgive you. Just not as passionate about the national team I guess. Maybe some day. It'll be even harder now that the Timbers start playing. Keep working on me.

SoCalJoe

Forgot to throw in my appreciation for the Timbers vid. to our favorite person from Cleveland, thanks Mo. Went on the Timbers site and can't believe what they have done to the Civic Stadium of my youth. To say it was rickety and relic from the 20's (when it was built) is an understatement. The new Jeld Wen Field is beautiful and with one side below street level, the huge building (was the Portland Athletic Club, assume it still is) towering over one end, and the rest of the seats covered by the overhang and that place will feel subterranean to opposing teams and be incredibly loud for 20K. My mom lives in central Oregon and might have to make the drive over to Portland to catch a game this summer.

duffbeer

Quote from: RidgeRider on March 18, 2011, 09:18:05 PM
wow, Mo. I got chills.

Gave me chills too. Heading up Tuesday to see my Dad again. Thanks for sharing Mo. You are forgiven for the "attack".  :dft012:

I wouldnt go forgiving me too soon Ridge.  I havent forgiven you for not properly supporting the USA, or for not recognizing how exceptional they and how truly blessed we are to be witnessing this era of soccer in the USA.

Thats ok Mo, I still forgive you. Just not as passionate about the national team I guess. Maybe some day. It'll be even harder now that the Timbers start playing. Keep working on me.

I will keep working on you.  Here's a start.  How can you not be crushed by what has happened to Stuart Holden.  The guy is the biggest sweet heart in the world.  He recieved the humanitarian of the year award (dont remember from who) for his charity work.  First hand, he came to my step neice's hospital room in Houston when she was battling luekemia.  Anyway, every time things start breaking for him, somone injures him.  At 17 he was on trial with Sunderland and some thug beat him up on the street and totally derailed his trial.  Then Bolton signs him, he plays a few games well and DeJong breaks his leg.  He only gets 4 minutes in the world cup.  Now he has finally had his break out season with Bolton.  He leads the prem in tackles (havent checked that for a while but he had a substantial lead) and a red card tackle puts him out for 6 months.  He will now miss the Gold Cup at a time when he warranted a starting spot for the US.  He still has the decency to tweet to the world that the offender apologised to him and he's sure no malice was intended.  Stuart is a first class player and individual and he plays for the red, white and blue.

duffbeer

After all my bitching and moaning about TV coverage, I come to find that with direct TV I could've watched every MLS game this week.  They were shown in the 400's where all the Europa games are broadcast.  No it's not ESPN, that channel that will make the difference in growing the sports popularity in the US, but at least there is hope I can watch MLS as I please,  And I will. 

I will be paying attention to the three pacific northwest teams since they all have young Akron players - Zakuani (Seattle), Nagbe (Portland), Nanchoff (Vancouver).  My fav team is the Dynamos!!   Home of Ching, Holden, and now Sarkodie (another Akron alum).  We're going to see Columbus play Vancouver next month.  My son now plays for the academy that produced Nagbe and Nanchoff so lots of the families with kids in the academy are going together to the match.   Looking forward to it.  My sons new team is the only USSF development academy in Cleveland.  So far it has helped his game tremendously so I am very thankful to them.  The really neat thing for me personally is that the USSF Development Academy communications people send me emails every week about academy news regarding teams and players across the nation.  As long as my son stays on the team I will be in the know about the up coming US talent pool.  Maybe Fulham has some role for me after all.

RidgeRider

Quote from: duffbeer on March 21, 2011, 11:47:03 PM
Quote from: RidgeRider on March 18, 2011, 09:18:05 PM
wow, Mo. I got chills.

I will keep working on you.  Here's a start.  How can you not be crushed by what has happened to Stuart Holden.  The guy is the biggest sweet heart in the world.  He recieved the humanitarian of the year award (dont remember from who) for his charity work.  First hand, he came to my step neice's hospital room in Houston when she was battling luekemia.  Anyway, every time things start breaking for him, somone injures him.  At 17 he was on trial with Sunderland and some thug beat him up on the street and totally derailed his trial.  Then Bolton signs him, he plays a few games well and DeJong breaks his leg.  He only gets 4 minutes in the world cup.  Now he has finally had his break out season with Bolton.  He leads the prem in tackles (havent checked that for a while but he had a substantial lead) and a red card tackle puts him out for 6 months.  He will now miss the Gold Cup at a time when he warranted a starting spot for the US.  He still has the decency to tweet to the world that the offender apologised to him and he's sure no malice was intended.  Stuart is a first class player and individual and he plays for the red, white and blue.

It is a sad story because he was playing well at Bolton. Didn't know about his charity work, nice to hear he helps out outside the pitch as well.

RidgeRider

Quote from: duffbeer on March 22, 2011, 12:23:42 AM
After all my bitching and moaning about TV coverage, I come to find that with direct TV I could've watched every MLS game this week.  They were shown in the 400's where all the Europa games are broadcast.  No it's not ESPN, that channel that will make the difference in growing the sports popularity in the US, but at least there is hope I can watch MLS as I please,  And I will. 

I will be paying attention to the three pacific northwest teams since they all have young Akron players - Zakuani (Seattle), Nagbe (Portland), Nanchoff (Vancouver).  My fav team is the Dynamos!!   Home of Ching, Holden, and now Sarkodie (another Akron alum).  We're going to see Columbus play Vancouver next month.  My son now plays for the academy that produced Nagbe and Nanchoff so lots of the families with kids in the academy are going together to the match.   Looking forward to it.  My sons new team is the only USSF development academy in Cleveland.  So far it has helped his game tremendously so I am very thankful to them.  The really neat thing for me personally is that the USSF Development Academy communications people send me emails every week about academy news regarding teams and players across the nation.  As long as my son stays on the team I will be in the know about the up coming US talent pool.  Maybe Fulham has some role for me after all.

Very cool. Defo post about the upcoming talent, maybe you'll be hired as a scout and it will help those of us who need a push towards US soccer.

YankeeJim

Holden is a real talent. perhaps someday the FA will do something about thugs. I won't hold my breath.

We had the unforunate loss of Davis just prior to the WC and now Stu.

But to put a positive slant on it
Charlie Davies got a brace
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

RidgeRider

Joe and Mo, here is a site that was created by my brother's friends. It is growing locally and may have streaming of matches soon as every game is being televised locally. It's actually a good site.

http://www.droppingtimber.com/

VB

I stayed up and watched Seattle vs LA, That pitch was terrible, I wouldn't like to play on that in the 1st match of the season, they all looked knackered after 60 mins and the ball looked like the one they used in the World Cup. nice goal from LA though.

also watched LA vs New England. better game to watch,  how many goals were chalked off for LA... 

I'll watch another this weekend, see how long i CAN LAST
FULHAMISH: The more things change, The more they stay the same

duffbeer

Chad Ochocinco has a trial with Sporting KC today. 
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/ochocinco-try-out-forward-sporting

If I was an MLS team I would put him on my team for at least a few runs.  Who doesnt want to see how an NFL wide reciever would do in a real soccer match.

Ag

Hard to gauge whether he'll answer that question though Mo.  The guy is a total headcase and I'm more inclined to believe this is just fodder for his reality show.

RidgeRider

Quote from: duffbeer on March 23, 2011, 12:17:06 PM
Chad Ochocinco has a trial with Sporting KC today.  
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/ochocinco-try-out-forward-sporting

If I was an MLS team I would put him on my team for at least a few runs.  Who doesnt want to see how an NFL wide reciever would do in a real soccer match.

Here is one reason not to like US soccer.  :tom: 

I realize this is not USNMT but this has been tried before with track stars in the NFL, they rarely do well and there is so much understanding needed in soccer I have serious doubts that whatever athleticism he still possesses can translate.

duffbeer

I understand the skepticism, but he's giving soccer it's due respect.  He says the beautiful game was his first love and he wishes he's stayed with it over football.  After the trial he apparently commented how hard it was and that soccer isnt just about being fast and running around, it is an art.  I dont think there is any danger of him making a mockery of MLS.  Instead, he is making people at least take a look at MLS.  I'm for it.  MLS needs publicity and I dont think it will turn into a circus.  We'll see though.  I predict he'll go the way of Michael Jordan playing baseball.  You'll see the athleticism and cometitiveness, but he'll never be comfortable dealing with the level of play.

RidgeRider

Thanks for the link Mo. I would have never unearthed that story. Day by day, I learn a little bit more so thanks.

Timbers got crushed 3-1 by Colorado in their first game. Looks to be a long season. I found out from my brother the stadium that has been there forever and has seen a facelift is now soccer only and the AAA baseball that used to call it their home has moved entirely out of the state. Portland is taking this franchise seriously.

duffbeer

Ridge, not a lot of shame for an expansion team to lose to the reigning champions.  I only remember seeing them play in the MLS Cup, but I recall them being very physical, wasnt fun to watch.  I'm sure Portland doesnt want to play that way.  Also, keep the faith because my darling (Darlington Nagbe) hasnt appeared for the Timbers yet.  I want to see them play Vancouver with Nagbe in the mix.  Nagbe made it very clear he didnt want to play for a Canadian team (I have no idea why) otherwise Vancouver likely would've drafted him over Salgado.

Wow, booting a baseball team out for soccer!!  AAA no less.  

SoCalJoe

Quote from: RidgeRider on March 24, 2011, 02:36:13 AM
Thanks for the link Mo. I would have never unearthed that story. Day by day, I learn a little bit more so thanks.

Timbers got crushed 3-1 by Colorado in their first game. Looks to be a long season. I found out from my brother the stadium that has been there forever and has seen a facelift is now soccer only and the AAA baseball that used to call it their home has moved entirely out of the state. Portland is taking this franchise seriously.

RR, If you go to the Timbers website you can check out the new digs. Except for the Athletic Club, you wouldn't know that was Civic Stadium.

RidgeRider

Pretty dang impressive. Looks nothing like what I remember as a child except for the MAC. Wow. This franchise is going to be winner I think. They always did well in the NASL no reason to believe with the support, this stadium, no other sports except the Trailblazers, and Portland's penchant for being different they won't be winners soon. I'm actually very excited.

duffbeer

Fox Soccer Channel is showing Houston v. Seattle tonight at 9:30 ET.  Will compete with the NCAA tourney, but I plan to switch back and forth. Interesting development with Houston after their opening loss to Philly.  They traded Dominic Oduro to Chicago because he missed a sitter that would have tied the match in the final minutes.  They said they wanted to send a message to the players.  And apparently Dominic Kinnear (my favorite manager in MLS) layed into the players in ways that cant be repeated in polite company.  Now that's some good sports drama for you.  Hoping I get to see two Akron alums in this match - Kofi Sarkodie for Houston and Steve Zakuani for Seattle.  BTW the former was an A student majoring in microbiology while at Akron.  Just trying to keep ya'll interested in MLS.  I think it's finally caught on for me.