watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Hughes Flattered by Bayern interest but he's Happy at Fulham

Started by mrska, March 17, 2011, 06:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrska

Mark Hughes admits it is "flattering" to be linked with the Bayern Munich job but insists he has no intention of quitting Fulham.

Reports this week claimed Hughes was Bayern's number one target to replace Louis van Gaal.

But the former Wales boss says he is loving life at Craven Cottage and does not want to leave this summer.

Hughes is reportedly top of a three-man shortlist to succeed Van Gaal - who was told last week his contract was not being renewed - and is up against Bayer Leverkusen's Jupp Heynckes and former Germany captain Matthias Sammer.

"It's very flattering but I'm quite happy doing what I'm doing at the moment," said the Cottagers boss, who played for Bayern on loan from Barcelona in the late 1980s.

"Sometimes, when a job becomes vacant then people look around to see whether there are any connections in terms of past playing careers or whatever.

"I think there's no more in it than that."

Hughes boasts an impressive managerial record, having boosted the fortunes of Wales, Blackburn and Manchester City, who controversially sacked him just over a year ago.

He has also overcome a difficult start at Fulham to stabilise them in mid-table in the Premier League, something which has not gone unnoticed.

The 47-year-old, who is under contract until the end of next season, admitted managing overseas was on his long-term agenda.

"If opportunities in the future present themselves, I think it would be part of my football education and something that I'd want to do," he said.

"But I'm not looking to do it at the moment.

He added: "I'm enjoying my work. I think it's a great club and we're going in the right direction.

"Certainly, if we can invest more in the players next year as well then I think we can kick on."

Hughes was confident his spending power would not be weakened by the club's latest accounts, which this week showed they had made a loss of £16.9million, up £10million from the previous year.

"Those losses I don't think were unexpected, so they'll be factored in," said Hughes.

"I don't think it'll have any impact on what I want to do in the summer."

Money is inevitably tight at Fulham and Hughes may need to get players off the wage bill to help raise cash to spend when the transfer window re-opens.

One man who appears surplus to requirements is Diomansy Kamara, who Hughes revealed today would be allowed to join Leicester on loan.

"I've obviously put the option to 'Joe' because he's out of the team at the moment and I think it's something that he's discussing with his advisors," Hughes said of the striker, whose contract expires at the end of the season.

"He's a little bit frustrated because he's not in the first 18 at the moment.

"He may feel that from now until the end of the season, he wants to play more games."

Kamara, who also spent the second half of last season on loan at Celtic, has become more and more marginalised as Fulham's injured forwards have recovered, most recently Bobby Zamora.

Fellow long-term absentee Philippe Senderos has suffered a setback in his recovery from a serious Achilles injury, a hamstring strain meaning he will not be fit for Saturday's trip to Everton.

Midfielder Dickson Etuhu is also a doubt with a similar problem.

Tom

Fulham for life!

RidgeRider

Injured far too often. I'm starting to question his fitness and dedication to staying fit.

"Certainly, if we can invest more in the players next year as well then I think we can kick on."

Hughes was confident his spending power would not be weakened by the club's latest accounts, which this week showed they had made a loss of £16.9million, up £10million from the previous year.

"Those losses I don't think were unexpected, so they'll be factored in," said Hughes.

"I don't think it'll have any impact on what I want to do in the summer."

This is encouraging.....

ImperialWhite

Raphael Honigstein sees it a little differently!

@honigstein

QuoteI'd like to say I'm very flattered to have been linked with the MOTD presenting job. (even if the "link" was invented by my agent) #Hughes

ron

"Blah, blah future blah..................................blah blah investment blah.......Cheerio,"

We've heard it before...

finnster01

That's what Roy said too before he took off after leaving us in a hole.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: RidgeRider on March 17, 2011, 07:02:00 PM

Injured far too often. I'm starting to question his fitness and dedication to staying fit.

I hope this is not a serious point!

Etuhu has had a recurring Hamstring injury, which as anyone knows, is a difficult injury to get over and can be 'tweaked' at any time.