News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What was it like in Hamburg away from the Reeperbahn?

Started by FatFreddysCat, March 20, 2011, 06:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatFreddysCat

Obviously the Reeperbahn was always going to be the main football meet up, but was anyone in the city center or other areas? and was there many fans of either side about? have meant to ask that question for ages, but the drink has always made me forget to ask. damn this back to work malarky and my memory coming back. Also did we win?

Burt

Was there for two days, and the furthest we ventured from the Reeperbahn was to the Hamburg stadium for the match, and we also strolled out to see St Pauli the following morning.

So I can't really answer your question Mr FFC sir!!

MJG

Around town it seemed as if there were more Spanish fans than Fulham, good banter between us all, never saw a hint of trouble and then when we got to the Reeperbahn it was just like any main drinking area in Europe when the english are in town ;-)
Around Hamburg you did see plenty of signs advertising the final and the locals seemed unsure about the two sets of fans on the trains/buses but once they realised we were not going to wreck the place they were ok.

All in all a great couple of days apart from the result.

Admin

Me and the old man flew into Bremen from Stanstead, didn't stay there but got the ice train down to Hamburg which was the equivalent from going from London to Birmmingham. When getting to Hamberg hbf we had a hotel right outside the station and it was a 10 euro trip into the Reeperbahn I think so I was always tooing and throwing - as they call it.

I was impressed my Bremen, a bit more upperclass than Hamburg, really clean, good bars, transport polite people as well. In the evenings, we all went around St Pauli area etc with a few of the Fulham old boy's to eat at resturants, a lot of Irish bars I found around there but again, good food, polite people, fantastic beer..

I was out there for 4 days and I think it was the 2nd evening I got a taxi into the Reeperbahn and met you and Shady at that Irish boozer can't remember the name now then on the day Jay, Chez, Lee and all that turned up and we were drinking from 10am in the morning, met American Kate etc it was brilliant in the square best atmospere I've ever experienced as a Fulham fan.

Kept away from the Reeperbahn after that as I heard there was a mad Englishman about sorting out the old Turks and stuff  :005:. On the last night, me and the old man went to this steak house, there was loads of Athletico in there, polite as anything, really talked Fulham up, great bunch I found.

Last day before going home, met Shady, Gadders etc in a local bar outside Hamburg train station early in the morning, spent about 4 hours on the piss and was smashed by the end of it went to give Shady a right old pissed up hug and he was like "Get off"..

Yeah fantastic memories all around..

Admin

Who was the bloke that got naked climbing up the statue? Quality that, got a few photo's..

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Admin on March 20, 2011, 07:05:07 PM
Who was the bloke that got naked climbing up the statue? Quality that, got a few photo's..
Missed the whole square experiance, after driving from London two nights before (right through the night and snorting a fair bit of Columbian) and getting on the piss as soon as we arrived, i was in a right 2&8 the day of the final. Obviously i had my little ( misshap) so was wearing shorts for the final. Ended up in a lovely non tourist boozer by the river and perked up big time. Remember you turning up at the (oh i've forgotten the name of the boozer as well) and having a bit of a sing song with Shady and a few of the boys. I think that was the night of the Turk, you should have hang about  :028: . Very funny when we got back to the hotel to see some young kids had nicked a prozzies shoe after not getting the service they was expecting. I'm actually thinking of going back to the non tourist boozer and seeing Volzy play for St Pauli as it was the best beer i've ever drank (the Irish pub's beer was shite) . How many Fulham was drinking elsewhere, was it a few, hundreds or a couple of thousand. Also in the ground what do you reckon on the ratio of Madrid to Fulham? I was so pissed ihad no idea.

Admin

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on March 20, 2011, 07:33:46 PM
Missed the whole square experiance, after driving from London two nights before (right through the night and snorting a fair bit of Columbian) and getting on the piss as soon as we arrived, i was in a right 2&8 the day of the final. Obviously i had my little ( misshap) so was wearing shorts for the final. Ended up in a lovely non tourist boozer by the river and perked up big time. Remember you turning up at the (oh feck i've forgotten the name of the boozer as well) and having a bit of a sing song with Shady and a few of the boys. I think that was the night of the Turk, you should have hang about  :028: . Very funny when we got back to the hotel to see some young kids had nicked a prozzies shoe after not getting the service they was expecting. I'm actually thinking of going back to the non tourist boozer and seeing Volzy play for St Pauli as it was the best beer i've ever drank (the Irish pub's beer was shite) . How many Fulham was drinking elsewhere, was it a few, hundreds or a couple of thousand. Also in the ground what do you reckon on the ratio of Madrid to Fulham? I was so pissed ihad no idea.

Instead of doing our usual jolly boy's to Bournemouth/Brighton/Blackpool this sumer we're doing Hamburg so i'll give you a shout although I wouldn't mnd giving blackpool a bash again  :dft002:

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Admin on March 20, 2011, 07:48:09 PM
Quote from: FatFreddysCat on March 20, 2011, 07:33:46 PM
Missed the whole square experiance, after driving from London two nights before (right through the night and snorting a fair bit of Columbian) and getting on the piss as soon as we arrived, i was in a right 2&8 the day of the final. Obviously i had my little ( misshap) so was wearing shorts for the final. Ended up in a lovely non tourist boozer by the river and perked up big time. Remember you turning up at the (oh feck i've forgotten the name of the boozer as well) and having a bit of a sing song with Shady and a few of the boys. I think that was the night of the Turk, you should have hang about  :028: . Very funny when we got back to the hotel to see some young kids had nicked a prozzies shoe after not getting the service they was expecting. I'm actually thinking of going back to the non tourist boozer and seeing Volzy play for St Pauli as it was the best beer i've ever drank (the Irish pub's beer was shite) . How many Fulham was drinking elsewhere, was it a few, hundreds or a couple of thousand. Also in the ground what do you reckon on the ratio of Madrid to Fulham? I was so pissed ihad no idea.

Instead of doing our usual jolly boy's to Bournemouth/Brighton/Blackpool this sumer we're doing Hamburg so i'll give you a shout although I wouldn't mnd giving blackpool a bash again  :dft002:
Yep wouldn't mind a bit of that, or a St Pauli away game somewhere like Berlin, Bremen , Cologne, Stuttgart etc.

CULTUREVULTURE

First time around I went to the Reeperbahn to see the Beatlemania exhibition and then went down to the docks area. 2nd time I spent most of teh afternoon in the Rathaus area.

FatFreddysCat

Also one thing i noticed in Wolfsburg and the non tourist areas of Hamburg, is when we ordered our first beer at the bar it was say €3 (wow rembered the euro sign ) but then you'd shout them up and they'd bring you the beer and it went up a half Euro a beer. Is that normal or was we just getting mugged off? Obviously in London they wouldn't bring you a beer, but i'd be happy to pay 50p a pint more for not having to queue at the bar.

Burt

I think the name of the Irish bar on the main drag was Molly Malone's.

My memory is a bit hazy for some strange reason, so I could be wrong.

Burt

Incidentally, did anyone else run across those bunch of mad Hungarians? They were there to support Gera, and were sharing out some pretty strong palinker.

Jimpav

There were a lot of Atletico fans at the bars along the docks. There coaches seemed to be dropping them off there.

Went into a restaurant full of them but they were good natured. Enjoying the booze and having a sing song.

The reeoeebhan seemed to be dominated by them until we turned the corner into the black and white part of Hamburg.

Not looked at my pictures yet, but still look back fondly on that day.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Burt on March 21, 2011, 09:40:38 PM
I think the name of the Irish bar on the main drag was Molly Malone's.

My memory is a bit hazy for some strange reason, so I could be wrong.
Definately not the one i'm thinking about. Thomas Hardy or something?  Cant believe i've forgotten it as i was recommending it after i came back to Hamburg after Wolfsburg. God i'm going senile.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

The Thomas Read
............and German men always sit when they pee  :tom: :005:

Atzen Dj's in Hamburg @ Thomas Read - 03.04.09

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: KCat on March 21, 2011, 09:59:00 PM
The Thomas Reed
............and German men always sit when they pee
That's the one. Thank you Pussy Galore  :Sparkyticus:

finnster01

Stayed at the Steinberger in the middle of the town. I had hoped to hook up with Mr FatFreddy at the Irish bar but never made it due to feeling badly and sick after travelling and my ex not allowing my daughter to come to the game. I also had to just turn around and get back for work in the US via the airline formerly known as Luftwaffe.

There were a few Atletico's at the hotel but it was all very well behaved. I wish I could have been able to take more time off and be proper mental at the end of the day. Some people on here know what that means...  
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

manxman

I was the main square having a good sing song with the everyone, but mostly I remember the girls, the drink and burger king  :dft012:
"What in the hell is diversity?"
"Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era."

VicHalomsLovechild

On the Bus from the station to the ground the Madrid fans were singing some long winded song and a Spanish girl next to us was translating it. If memory serves me right it involved a Sheppard looking for his Donkey (but I was full of beer, so it's all a bit hazy). When they had finished (after what seemed to be about 20 minutes) The fella next to me sang the Bobby Zamora chant. I think they appreciated the 30 second break as they decided what to sing next.
Best chant of the night was "Are you Brentford in disguise" which still makes me laugh  :yay: