Started by White Noise, March 23, 2011, 11:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnster01

Quote from: ImperialWhite on March 23, 2011, 01:36:23 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on March 23, 2011, 01:03:01 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on March 23, 2011, 12:56:19 PM
Quote from: Bogdan23 on March 23, 2011, 11:53:05 AM
I hope so, worst defender in the Premier League by far

This is so over the top and just plain wrong.

Baird was receiving the same types of comments here and on the FFC site when he first started playing RB for us. He was terrible. But I don't believe anyone is saying those things now.

Players need time to adapt; something that's been demonstrated on our team time and again. Yet, many here refuse to learn that lesson.

I don't disagree with the premise. A defender by definition is supposed to defend. Salcido can't defend but he does look good going forward. Hence worst defender I have seen in a long time and he unsettles our CB's, in particular Hangeland.I don't understand what the fuss is about. He is not good end of story in my book.

He's a member of the most solid defence outside the Champions League teams.

He doesn't let the other team score, what else should he be doing?

Incidentally, we hardly ever concede but we don't score very many. Surely a defender who is good at going forwards at the expense of a little (only a little, mind, take anthoer gander at the goals conceded table) defensive solidity is a good thing?
If he is so good, how come Hangeland looks like crap every time they play together? So that must mean Hangeland is not good then
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

clint23

Baird was receiving the same types of comments here and on the FFC site when he first started playing RB for us. He was terrible. But I don't believe anyone is saying those things now.

Players need time to adapt; something that's been demonstrated on our team time and again. Yet, many here refuse to learn that lesson.

I don't disagree with the premise. A defender by definition is supposed to defend. Salcido can't defend but he does look good going forward. Hence worst defender I have seen in a long time and he unsettles our CB's, in particular Hangeland.I don't understand what the fuss is about. He is not good end of story in my book.

False, Hangeland is a member, he played in all games if I'm right, Hughes is a member, Baird is a member, not Salcido... I remember the game against City (at home), he was awful. At Everton everyone says "Hangeland to blame, Etuhu to blame, Murphy, Dempsey..." But he should have followed the ball, not Cahill, and react quicker. He lacks pace, he lacks strength, he lacks everything.  

TonyGilroy

Everyone was awful at home to Man City.

You can assert that Salcido is terrible as often and as loudly as you like but with or without him our defence has done well this season.

Our problem is lack of goals. Hopefully Zamora's return will be the solution.

finnster01

Quote from: TonyGilroy on March 23, 2011, 01:50:37 PM
Everyone was awful at home to Man City.

You can assert that Salcido is terrible as often and as loudly as you like but with or without him our defence has done well this season.

Our problem is lack of goals. Hopefully Zamora's return will be the solution.
:clap_hands:

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: finnster01 on March 23, 2011, 12:42:51 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on March 23, 2011, 12:01:54 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on March 23, 2011, 11:54:45 AM
And don't let the door hit you in the aris on your way out.

Worst defender we have had in years. He doesn't want to defend and makes Hangeland play 2 positions because he doesn't trust him which leads to him getting caught in the middle which he never did before Salsa came on board. Left back has to be a target in the summer or give Briggsy a go again. I have gone right off the lazy Mexican. Liked him in the beginning but after the first couple of games, he has been consistently not good. He can go  :038:

Incredibly one eyed views here lads. He is not the best but certianly not one of the worst defenders we have had in recent years, never mind in the premier league
Am I wrong?

Well, I disagree with you, but that does not make you wrong. The evidence provided by others would suggest that.

richie17

Quote from: Bogdan23 on March 23, 2011, 01:44:36 PM

False, Hangeland is a member, he played in all games if I'm right, Hughes is a member, Baird is a member, not Salcido... I remember the game against City (at home), he was awful. At Everton everyone says "Hangeland to blame, Etuhu to blame, Murphy, Dempsey..." But he should have followed the ball, not Cahill, and react quicker. He lacks pace, he lacks strength, he lacks everything.  

aAAAH!  Stop it.

Are you saying with a straight face that he should have left Cahill where he was?

finnster01

1.3 goals conceded per game with Salcido starting;
1.1 goals conceded per game average.

Now what does that tell you? That is 49 goals conceded in a season vs 41. In other words 8 goals that could be crucial.

Send him and his sombrero packing.  I have no time for this laissez fare Mexican defending.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: finnster01 on March 23, 2011, 02:19:19 PM
1.3 goals conceded per game with Salcido starting;
1.1 goals conceded per game average.

Now what does that tell you? That is 49 goals conceded in a season vs 41. In other words 8 goals that could be crucial.

Send him and his sombrero packing.  I have no time for this laissez fare Mexican defending.

Top Gear alert!!

TonyGilroy

4 of those goals were in the Man City game where the entire defence went missing.

Salcido probably wasn't fit in that game anyway.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: TonyGilroy on March 23, 2011, 02:24:01 PM
4 of those goals were in the Man City game where the entire defence went missing.

Salcido probably wasn't fit in that game anyway.

Take away the Man City game and Salcido's record becomes 1.1 gcpg.

King_Crud

Matt

Oh you lucky people, we're the best team in the land!

Mr Fulham

Quote from: finnster01 on March 23, 2011, 01:43:21 PM

If he is so good, how come Hangeland looks like crap every time they play together? So that must mean Hangeland is not good then

Come on, Finny, this is again over the top thinking!

King_Crud

Quote from: Matt on March 23, 2011, 03:08:47 PM
Quote from: King_Crud on March 23, 2011, 02:47:35 PM
play him as left winger?

Who would you drop?

dunno, just thinking out loud. Dempsey is not a proper left winger, is better in the centre, but then you push people out of the centre, and then i get confused and my head hurts

SoCalJoe

No way he would go back to Chivas (even though Salcido would far prefer to go home to Guadalajara than Monterrey). The new owner, despite being one of the richest men in Mexico, is notoriously cheap with wages.

If he was younger, then working on his defensive deficiencies would be the option. However, at his age and if indeed he has family issues at home and his mind isn't 100% focused on his job and adapting to living in England then sell him.
You can observe a lot by just watching.

AlFayedsChequebook

The other thing to remember is that Sally has Clint playing in front of him, who spends 99% of his time in the centre of the pitch just to front-left hand side of Murphy.

Compared with Baird who has Duff, who mainly sticks to the wing until he gets within 5 yards of the penalty area, then Sally does not get much protection.

p.s. this is not a complaint about Clint!

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: SoCalJoe on March 23, 2011, 04:11:15 PM
No way he would go back to Chivas (even though Salcido would far prefer to go home to Guadalajara than Monterrey). The new owner, despite being one of the richest men in Mexico, is notoriously cheap with wages.

If he was younger, then working on his defensive deficiencies would be the option. However, at his age and if indeed he has family issues at home and his mind isn't 100% focused on his job and adapting to living in England then sell him.

Just a little correction here and there. Carlos Slim owns Chivas de Guadalajara. He's the richest man in the World ($70 billion) and he's not a very new owner. He's owned the team for at least several years. He may be cheap, but I don't believe his actions with Chivas demonstrate that so much. Chivas have one of the best youth setups in Mexico and they regularly bring thru their own players (see: Chicharito), which in effect keeps their wages down.

Salcido won't be going back to Chivas because he wants a team that will start him. Chivas have a 20 yr old LB named Ponce who's been playing really well for them in the league and in Libertadores. No way Salcido replaces him.

Just sayin'
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

SmithyFFC

FTID

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Bogdan23 on March 23, 2011, 01:20:49 PM

He will be 31 soon (2 April). How long should I wait Salcido to adapt?! He's crap, end of story, and if not the worst, one of the worst.

I'm not advocating you wait for anything. Why would I? You're obviously so invested in your argument that you wouldn't listen anyway.

All I'm saying is that he's better than you give him credit for and that players do need time to adapt to our league and to our way of playing in it. I provided evidence of that with Baird, but you've conveniently brushed that aside.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

TonyGilroy