watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

usa v argentina

Started by duffbeer, March 25, 2011, 01:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duffbeer

Expect to see this Dempsey banner hanging at the meadowlands.  Me likey.  I predict a deuce for the Duece

Last time we played Argentina to a nil-nil draw, thanks in large part to Timmay Howard.  Hope he has another good game as I think he's been a bit off for the US ever since WC Qualifying ended.  So bummed Holden wont be a part of this

AmericanJames

Another unfortunate injury for the kid, seems he is going to miss the Gold Cup too.

What do you reckon our chances are tomorrow?
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

Tom

Quote from: AmericanJames on March 25, 2011, 05:55:58 PM
Another unfortunate injury for the kid, seems he is going to miss the Gold Cup too.

What do you reckon our chances are tomorrow?
I know, Holden has been playing so well. Looks like he is out for 6 months. Can't wait to watch the game tomorrow and see how the boys look in the new uni's. Chances, 35% on winning, 45% for a draw and 20% to lose.
Fulham for life!

fulhampa23

I hope Bradley starts Maurice Edu. He has been playing so well with Rangers, he should start I think the US wil either draw or lose by a goal. I just don't see us winning this game, but I will gladly admit to being wrong if we do.
"We love to win. For us, for our fans, for our Club. But we win fair. We believe in football first. We play to the spirit of the game. We are Fulham Football Club."

-Brede Hangeland

RidgeRider

Nice header by Boca. The young kid, good for him, gets a garbage goal cause the keeper couldn't handle Boca's header. Well done USA!

RidgeRider

Bradley getting schooled by Messi

BarryP

My $0.02 worth from FUSA

MOM - Timmy Howard was easily the man of the match for the red, white and blue. In fact I would give him the nod over Messi for biggest impact player on the pitch. With a lesser keeper between the sticks the US loses this match by at least two goals.

The DUH formation comment - Without Stuart Holden the US does not have the personnel to play a 4-5-1. Even with Holden I am not sure that formation would work for the US because Altidore does not look comfortable up top by himself. However without Holden there is nobody sitting in the middle to transition the US into the offensive end.

The US was far more effective in the 4-4-2 in the second half. Some how removing one of the three defensive midfielders resulted in the US playing better defense. The spacing on the field was better in the 4-4-2 and it helped to be able to get the ball out of our defensive end and put pressure on the Argentine defense. Kudos to Bradley for scrapping the formation and going in a different direction in the second half.

Who I enjoyed watching besides Howard - Timmy Chandler looked comfortable on the ball and made excellent runs into offensive end. I am looking forward to seeing more of his play. Perhaps Bradley should consider recruiting more Timmy's for the squad. Another appearance and another goal for Agudelo. While he looks like he needs a lot of polishing the kid knows where the goal sits and seems to have a good sense of where to put himself to be in position to score. I am not ready to crown him the next great thing but I am enjoying watching someone put the ball in the net.

Who I didn't enjoy watching - Gooch looked beyond rusty and the defensive midfield troika of Bradley, Edu and Jones were ineffective in keeping Argentina away from our goal and really ineffective at transitioning the team into the offensive end.

The best of the rest- Dempsey and Donovan were starved of touches in the first half but both looked more dangerous in the second.

Overall I thought the first half was pretty painful as the US was dominated at every position except keeper. I enjoyed the positive changes made at the half and the fortitude the team showed in clawing back the goal and earning a draw.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Tom

Great game and result from the boys!  :wine: All I have to say is Tim Howard is a f#cking stud! I wish we could get him into a Fulham shirt. I really like our young talent. Agudelo and Chandler are great young talents for the Red, White & Blue. Proud of that second half come back and effort. Let's go out and beat Paraguay on Tuesday night boys!!!  :beer:
Fulham for life!

Tom

Quote from: RidgeRider on March 27, 2011, 12:35:02 AM
Bradley getting schooled by Messi
Everyone get's schooled by Messi!  :dead horse:
Fulham for life!

duffbeer

Barry, I'm not convinced the difference between the first and second half had anything to do with the formation or personnel.  In the first half we applied absolutely no pressure to the ball.  We fell back and were seemingly trying to disrupt the pass for a quick counter attack.  Argentina saw that and applied immediate pressure to us the minute we got the ball.  As a result we could create nothing in the first half.  I'm actually glad that happened because I hope it means we never see that sort of strategy again.  I know it could be embarrassing to play Argentina and Messi with the 'best defense is offense" type strategy, but the sitting back and absorbing pressure strategy wasnt pretty.  Then again, we didnt concede an earlly goal.  And Messi has still not scored against us.  So what do I know.

Chandler was indeed good but I would rather have Lichaj or Spector at RB once 'dolo is finished.  With Chandler I feel like I'm stealing.  The only American thing about him is his father, he doesnt even speak English I've heard.  He is totally a product of the German system.  I know that is mostly true with Jones too but he did at least live in the US for a while, speaks English, and like the average US player has his flaws.  At this point in the growth of US soccer, I would rather see players that are products or part products of our system.  I just think it is better for the health of the US program, and it's not as if Spector and Lichaj arent promising.  Spector's defensive play last night was the best in the back four.  But if it ends up being Chandler, he'll get my support. 

I'm with Barry, not willing to annoint Agudelo yet but he certainly comes to play.  And he may have the quickest reactions of anyone we have.  Absolutely love watching him play.

The highlight of the match was indeed Timmay.  Was almost expecting the Argentines to shake his hand the same way the Brazilian did when Keller had his monster victory against them.

Last thought - enjoyed watching Dempsey get in the face of the Argentines.  At several times the Argies were all over us with trips and pushes and the ref was not calling it.  After Dempsey's antics that aspect of the ref improved.  Boy knows what he's doing.

RidgeRider

Quote from: BarryP on March 27, 2011, 03:43:17 AM
My $0.02 worth from FUSA

MOM - Timmy Howard was easily the man of the match for the red, white and blue. In fact I would give him the nod over Messi for biggest impact player on the pitch. With a lesser keeper between the sticks the US loses this match by at least two goals.

The DUH formation comment - Without Stuart Holden the US does not have the personnel to play a 4-5-1. Even with Holden I am not sure that formation would work for the US because Altidore does not look comfortable up top by himself. However without Holden there is nobody sitting in the middle to transition the US into the offensive end.

The US was far more effective in the 4-4-2 in the second half. Some how removing one of the three defensive midfielders resulted in the US playing better defense. The spacing on the field was better in the 4-4-2 and it helped to be able to get the ball out of our defensive end and put pressure on the Argentine defense. Kudos to Bradley for scrapping the formation and going in a different direction in the second half.

Who I enjoyed watching besides Howard - Timmy Chandler looked comfortable on the ball and made excellent runs into offensive end. I am looking forward to seeing more of his play. Perhaps Bradley should consider recruiting more Timmy's for the squad. Another appearance and another goal for Agudelo. While he looks like he needs a lot of polishing the kid knows where the goal sits and seems to have a good sense of where to put himself to be in position to score. I am not ready to crown him the next great thing but I am enjoying watching someone put the ball in the net.

Who I didn't enjoy watching - Gooch looked beyond rusty and the defensive midfield troika of Bradley, Edu and Jones were ineffective in keeping Argentina away from our goal and really ineffective at transitioning the team into the offensive end.

The best of the rest- Dempsey and Donovan were starved of touches in the first half but both looked more dangerous in the second.

Overall I thought the first half was pretty painful as the US was dominated at every position except keeper. I enjoyed the positive changes made at the half and the fortitude the team showed in clawing back the goal and earning a draw.

That's about how I saw it as well. Never seen Chandler before but thought he was pretty decent also. I don't think we defended all that well and their goal was due to poor defending, IMHO. I realize it is Argentina and they 'out skill' us we really broke down on their goal and there were too many other dangerous situations. Thought the US and Argentina both played their butts off so it was good match to watch.

Thanks for the report Barry!

YankeeJim

On the positive side Timmay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When it comes to defenders, I'm glad we stole Chandler. The kid looks good. He positioned well and runs the sideline better than anyone since a young Dolo. Agudelo showed a desire for the ball & I guess is the next great hope. I'm holding my hope in check. EJ, Adu, Jozy. Need I say more?

Donavan & Dempsey both showed grit and professionalism by contributing heavily on the defensive end in both halves.
Goal.com hammered Gooch. He was certainly not at his best but he seems to have his knees back. Now, for the confidence.....

We showed our fitness and it seemed as if the Argi's just wanted off the pitch during the last ten minutes.

On the negative side. I'm convinced that Jozy is the caretaker until someone else comes along. Bradley needs games with his club or the bench with the Nats. I read where Jones was considered strong but he didn't impress me. He seemed late on the tackle & a bit out of his league. Spector, Demerit & Boca are squad players at best. Edu was ok and I think the best of the central mids.

Is that Messi a sight to behold or what? He is a thing of beauty.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

BarryP

Quote from: YankeeJim on March 27, 2011, 05:42:59 PM
Is that Messi a sight to behold or what? He is a thing of beauty.

Great fun to watch.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."