watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fred Titmus R.I.P. nfr

Started by epsomraver, March 23, 2011, 12:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epsomraver

x-England spinner Fred Titmus has died aged 78 following a long illness, his former county Middlesex have announced. another of england's greats gone Corkie!

Chopper

Sad news an England legend. A tribute of sorts from indie-humorists Half Man Half Biscuit.

Oh I was walking round my local store
I was searching for the ten pence off Lenor
When suddenly I bumped into this guy
On seeing who it was I gave a cry
"F*ck*n' 'Ell, It's Fred Titmus!"

Half Man Half Biscuit - Fuckin' 'Ell, It's Fred Titmus
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

epsomraver

Ex-England spinner Fred Titmus has died aged 78 following a long illness, his former county Middlesex have announced.
Born in November 1932, Titmus was given his first-class debut in 1949 aged 16 years and 213 days, making him the then youngest ever Middlesex player.
He played in four Ashes series against Australia, the last of them in 1974-75 after six years out of Test cricket.
Titmus ended with a first-class record of 21588 runs at an average of 23.11, and 2830 wickets at 22.37 in 792 games.
He returned Test-best figures of 7-79 against Australia in Sydney in 1962-63 and his highest score of 84 not out came the in 1974 against India in Mumbai.

Tonywa

Oh I am sorry.  He was a fine cricketer and a very pleasant man. RIP

HatterDon

Oh, my goodness. I saw him play .. and he's dead at 78.

Wow. RIP
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

epsomraver

Yes it really makes you think Don.

Peabody

He always came across as one of the nice guys as well as being a very good player.

FatFreddysCat

Oh for Gods sake at least i'd heard of Elizabth Taylor. Cant we ban people who have nothing to do with Fulham dying threads? Greatest Cricketer, Funnyiest comedian, best song writer since the other fella  :55:

ron

Surely anyone from the same city as our club, who played professional sport during five decades....1940's to the '80's inclusive...merits a small mention...?

I'm sorry to hear of his passing...particularly so as he endured a long illness at the end.

Supermitch

As a member of Middlesex I saw him a lot at Lord's.  He was also a useful footballer and was on Watford's books for a while.

RIP Fred

GoldCoastWhite

RIP Fred, already immortalised with a street named after him in Salisbury East/Manor Farm, which is where I played my first junior football matches for the distinctly average, but always determined Para Hills West under 11 B team. I see he played in the 74/75 Ashes series in Oz so if he was picked for the Adelaide test I may well have seen him play. 

Snibbo

yes, saw him play for Middx several times at Lords in those teenage summers between football seasons. The days when you'd see cricketers having a pint and a fag whilst waiting to bat. 

Tonywa

In the late 'seventies Fred Titmus was coach of Surrey for a couple of years and even played a first class match for the county.  One lunchtime in that period I sat behind the nets at the Vauxhall end while Fred bowled to the young Surrey player Ray Baker and gave him batting practice.  Seeing a top class Test bowler at such close quarters was something I will never forget.  Such was Titmus's command of flight and variations of pace, line and length that while every ball looked exactly the same as it left his hand, one hit Baker full toss on the pads while the next suddenly dipped in its flight and made him scurry down the wicket to reach it.  It was a master class from a master bowler and impressed on me more than ever as to what an incredibly skilful and subtle game cricket is compared to almost any other sport.

ron

Quote from: Tonywa on March 24, 2011, 09:54:51 AM
....... what an incredibly skilful and subtle game cricket is compared to almost any other sport.

Absolutely agree Tonywa. It's those who don't see that subtlety who call cricket 'boring'

Travers Barney

Lost some of his toes in a boating accident if I recall...sad news.

We are the whites
We are the whites

BalDrick

Never had the privelege but sad news anyway.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: ron on March 24, 2011, 06:53:23 PM
....... what an incredibly skilful and subtle game cricket is compared to almost any other sport.

Absolutely agree Tonywa. It's those who don't see that subtlety who call cricket 'boring'
It's those that dont see how boring cricket is, that should subtley sneak out of the house now and again and realise there is a life without a sport played by gay posh boys who are lucky enough to have wealthy parents. I can assure you no one on my estate plays the game, probably because it's a real World sort of place to live.

Peabody

Strange that Fred, it just shows how times have changed. When I was growing up in the Buildings, we played football in the winter and cricket in the the summer, without fail but as I say, times have changed. Oh by the way, Fred Titmus was'nt a posh kid, far from it.

epsomraver

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on March 25, 2011, 09:52:42 PM
Quote from: ron on March 24, 2011, 06:53:23 PM

It's those that dont see how boring cricket is, that should subtley sneak out of the house now and again and realise there is a life without a sport played by gay posh boys who are lucky enough to have wealthy parents. I can assure you no one on my estate plays the game, probably because it's a real World sort of place to live.

I was brought up on a rough estate in Battersea and we always  did the same Mr Peabody, trouble now days kids only play sports on a tele screen