watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Question about the Johnny Haynes Stand

Started by richie17, March 26, 2011, 05:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richie17

what's the correct (architectural) term for the triangular thing on the Stevenage Road stand roof just over half-way with Fulham Football Club written on it? 

Cheers
Rich

ImperialWhite

The Doctor

Imperial White has it right.  It's a gable

richie17

LBNo11

...definately a gable, I was at a meeting with the club once and one of the members of the Supporters trust was campaigning for a 'topping off' brass ball to be added at the apex of the gable. Apparantly all Archibald Leitch's football grounds had had one of these except ours (it was suggested that we had just run out of money).

The idea being presented was that it should be hollow and made into a time capsule to be filled with current Fulham memoribilia, programme, season ticket, team sheet and souvenirs to be opened in a hundred years...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

ron

....time was when it had;

"Fulham Football and Athletic Company Limited
                      Craven Cottage"

The Doctor

Quote from: LBNo11 on March 26, 2011, 07:28:08 PM
Apparantly all Archibald Leitch's football grounds had had one of these except ours

Is that right?  What a wonderful bit of trivia.  I can recall seeing pictures of Leitch's White Hart Lane with the club badge atop the gable, and I know that Hillsborough has something on the gable, but genuinely can't remember what whether the other stands of his (those that I've seen) had a ball atop the gable.

LBNo11

...here is further proof of the 'finials' that adorned some of Leitch's gables:-

"Simon Inglis shares his enthusiasm for Archie's work with Madness singer Suggs on ITV's Disappearing London programme in late 2006. Inglis has proposed to Fulham and their fans' that a Leitch-style decorative ironwork finial should be fitted to the apex of the club's roof gable, seen here at Craven Cottage. Many other Leitch stands had such finials, but for some reason the one destined for Fulham was never supplied. 'It would be the ideal way to cap the stand and pay tribute to Archie's legacy,' said Inglis, 'and would be perfect for match-day cameras to focus upon as kick off approaches."

Further reading at:-
http://www.playedinbritain.co.uk/author-simon-inglis-archie.php

Fletchino

Why don't  we put Jackson up there insted seen as he loved coming to watch fulham so much!!!!

Snibbo

Quote from: FLETCHINO on March 27, 2011, 07:50:09 AM
Why don't  we put Jackson up there insted seen as he loved coming to watch fulham so much!!!!
I can see the Sun headline now:  "Fulham put a Poof on the Roof"

White Noise

Quote from: ron on March 26, 2011, 07:41:14 PM
....time was when it had;

"Fulham Football and Athletic Company Limited
                      Craven Cottage"

What did the 'Athletic' bit refer to?

ron

We used to wonder about that at the time....I think now that it was purely a part of the registered company name, because the only business activity has always been just football.

Snibbo

Quote from: ron on March 27, 2011, 11:21:54 AM
We used to wonder about that at the time....I think now that it was purely a part of the registered company name, because the only business activity has always been just football.
Interesting image of a share certificate from those days:

" border="0

LBNo11

Quote from: Snibbo on March 27, 2011, 11:35:14 AM

" border="0

...Snibbo, I have certificate number 476, no writing, framed and on the wall by my computer...

finnster01

Quote from: FLETCHINO on March 27, 2011, 07:50:09 AM
To stick with our current Madame Tussauds wax museum theme of destroying everything Fulham at the Cottage, may as well put a statue of Clark Gable on the gable.  :034:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Snibbo

Quote from: LBNo11 on March 27, 2011, 12:22:32 PM
Quote from: Snibbo on March 27, 2011, 11:35:14 AM

" border="0

...Snibbo, I have certificate number 476, no writing, framed and on the wall by my computer...
Bewdy! Did you inherit it, or acquire it?