watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

USA 1-1 Argentina

Started by Jimbobob, March 27, 2011, 02:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YankeeJim

America has had the "second coming" three times with strikers. EJ scored a hat trick in his first game and that as a sub. Freddie Adu was suppose to be the next Maridonna and then Jozy. So far the only one that has really contributed has been Jozy and that more as a hold up man. He's no Bobby but he has the size and strength to learn it. He likely will serve as Brian Ching did. Clog the middle, throw some elbows and maybe knock some balls down for Donavan to run onto.

This kid Agudelo has some pace, seems to want the ball but I suspect Paragray tomorrow and Spain next month will make a note of him in their match prep. Hopefully he'll be able to do something but he's only 18 and has played less then a dozen pro matches.

If he can come back from that horrible accident, I think Charlie Davies will be the man. He was doing a good job in France and seemed to come alive in the WC run up. The compound fracture he had on his leg may prevent his return to the same level. Until Brian McBride's son is of age, he may be the best we'll have.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Tom

Quote from: fulhampa23 on March 29, 2011, 12:02:19 AM
I hope Charlie Davis can come back at full speed and in good form . I think he's the striker we need. He scored three in his first two games back, grant it two were penalties, its still impressive. Maybe he can crack the Gold Cup squad, there is no denying how much quality he has, he was scoring like crazy before the accident. As for Juan, its too early to say anything. I hope he starts in the Paraguay game to get a better look at him. I will definitely follow him closely this season.
That would be great to have Charlie back for the Gold Cup.
Fulham for life!

HatterDon

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on March 28, 2011, 04:32:59 PM
Question for our Americans: Just how good is Juan Agudelo?

It's much too early to say, Mr. AFC, but the thing that was IMMEDIATELY noticable was his affect on Jozy Altidore. Prior to the substitution, Altidore played like a man with no football IQ. Once he was paired with Agudelo, he was a striker reborn. Jozy only gave the Argie defense a little bit of a workout in the first half. In the second half he turned them inside out, with the help of his young assistant.

As for the goal, it was a case of a poacher being in the right place at the right time and delivering the goods. He put it in against an off-balance GK from a distance of about 18 inches. Nothing special about a goal like that? None, but it was the same sort never-make-a-highlight-reel goal that filled the careers of Michael Owen and Gary Linaker. I've seen the lad three times now, and the thing about him is that he makes you put your newspaper down and watch him.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

AmericanJames

Quote from: YankeeJim on March 29, 2011, 02:20:14 AM
Until Brian McBride's son is of age, he may be the best we'll have.

Unfortunately I think I read that his boys took a liking to cricket during his time in England, so don't get your hopes to high up
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: HatterDon on March 29, 2011, 03:53:49 AM

It's much too early to say, Mr. AFC, but the thing that was IMMEDIATELY noticable was his affect on Jozy Altidore. Prior to the substitution, Altidore played like a man with no football IQ. Once he was paired with Agudelo, he was a striker reborn. Jozy only gave the Argie defense a little bit of a workout in the first half. In the second half he turned them inside out, with the help of his young assistant.

As for the goal, it was a case of a poacher being in the right place at the right time and delivering the goods. He put it in against an off-balance GK from a distance of about 18 inches. Nothing special about a goal like that? None, but it was the same sort never-make-a-highlight-reel goal that filled the careers of Michael Owen and Gary Linaker. I've seen the lad three times now, and the thing about him is that he makes you put your newspaper down and watch him.

Very interesting - I saw his goal for the New York Red Bulls the other week, he had the strength and poise that you cannot teach. Plus he outshone Thierry Henry, who even at the ripe old age of 34 should be dominating in a league like the MLS (no offence intended, he would still do a job for Fulham I reckon!)

RidgeRider

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on March 29, 2011, 09:33:50 AM
Quote from: HatterDon on March 29, 2011, 03:53:49 AM

Very interesting - I saw his goal for the New York Red Bulls the other week, he had the strength and poise that you cannot teach. Plus he outshone Thierry Henry, who even at the ripe old age of 34 should be dominating in a league like the MLS (no offence intended, he would still do a job for Fulham I reckon!)

AFC, I don't think any realistic Yank would be offended. MLS is WAY behind the best leagues in the world but is improving. I have been TRYING to watch more matches this year but the play is definitely harder to get excited about when you are used to the PL.