watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (29.03.11)

Started by White Noise, March 29, 2011, 07:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/mar/28/stephen-kelly-republic-ireland-uruguay

Fulham's Stephen Kelly to captain Republic of Ireland against Uruguay

• 'It's what you dream of when you're a kid,' says Kelly

• Wigan's James McCarthy to make full international debut

Share   David Hytner in Dublin guardian.co.uk, Monday 28 March 2011 21.27

Fulham's Stephen Kelly, left, says it's a 'dream' to lead the Republic of Ireland against Uruguay in Dublin. Photograph: Julien Behal/PA

Stephen Kelly won the prize for understatement. "I suppose it's a bit more pressure than what I expected but that's football," he said, as he reflected upon a remarkable elevation for the Republic of Ireland's friendly against the World Cup semi-finalists Uruguay at the Aviva Stadium.

The Fulham utility defender has not played a first-team match of any description since 17 November, when he featured in his country's 2-1 friendly defeat by Norway in Dublin. Moreover, the 27-year-old can barely remember the last time that he started a game in central defence.

Against a Uruguay team missing the injured Luis Suárez but still packing plenty of punch, Kelly will start in central defence. And, for the first time, he will lead out his country as captain.

"I was fortunate enough to get the band [in the friendly] against South Africa [in September 2009] when Kevin Doyle went off but the team that I captained properly was the under-21s," Kelly said. "I did that for a couple of campaigns. For me, that was a great honour, a huge privilege, but to do it now at senior level surpasses that. It's what you dream of when you're a kid."

Kelly started the season in the Fulham team at left-back and he has also played at right-back, the position where he professes himself to be most comfortable. But in the centre? "It's been a long time," he said. " I seem to end up at centre-back towards the end of games, that's what happened against Norway after I started at right-back, but I don't think I've started a game at centre-back for a couple of years."

Kelly suffered an ankle injury at Christmas, which ruled him out for four weeks, but it has been the combination of Chris Baird, John Pantsil and Carlos Salcido that has served to frustrate him. He has been an unused substitute more times than he cares to mention this year.

Yet opportunity knocks on the international stage, as it does for a host of players against Uruguay in the absence of more experienced regulars. Hopes are the highest for James McCarthy, who makes his full Ireland debut in the role behind the striker in a 4-4-1-1 formation but Kelly knows that a positive performance would see him press his claim for the Euro 2012 qualifier away to Macedonia on 4 June.

There will be a vacancy at the back as Richard Dunne is suspended. "It's an opportunity to show the boss what I can do, playing at centre-back," Kelly said. "It will be a very tough game but it's a good opportunity for a lot of the lads to make an impression. Everybody will have that on their minds when they go out."

The feeling persists however that Giovanni Trapattoni's formation and preferred personnel are set in stone for the meaningful matches. It has emerged that Doyle expects to be fit for the trip to Skopje and if he is, Trapattoni will almost certainly pair him up front with the captain Robbie Keane in a 4-4-2.

Trapattoni is also loth to deviate from two defensive-minded and experienced central midfielders, meaning that McCarthy has it all to do to carve a niche for himself in the starting line-up. The bandwagon for his inclusion, though, would start to roll if he were to impress against Uruguay or either of the friendlies against Northern Ireland and Scotland in May.

"McCarthy must not be shy," Trapattoni said. "I want him to look for the ball and be vocal."

Kelly will certainly not be overawed by the occasion. "You have to deal with these things and it's something I'm more than capable of taking with both hands," he said. "I don't think I'll be nervous at this stage [of my career] and even though I haven't played for a couple of months, I've always been an extremely fit player so the 90 minutes won't be a problem. Hopefully, it's something I can really enjoy."

Republic of Ireland (4-4-1-1) Westwood; Foley, O'Dea, Kelly, Clark; Lawrence, Green, Fahey, Keogh; McCarthy; Long.

Uruguay (4-3-3) Muslera; Fucile, Godín, Lugano, Cáceres; M Pereira, Pérez, A Pereira; Cavani, Forlán, Hernández.

White Noise

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/football/news/article/-/9090446/dikgacoi-prefers-premiership-return-to-permanent-palace-move/

Dikgacoi prefers Premiership return to permanent Palace move

tribalfootball.com

March 29, 2011, 7:08 am

Crystal Palace want to make Kagisho Dikgacoi's loan move permanent this summer but the South African is reluctant to drop down a division.

Fulham midfielder Dikgacoi is on loan at Selhurst Park until the end of the season.

Dikgacoi has made just 13 appearances for the Cottagers since joining in 2009 and talkSPORT understands his future looks to be elsewhere.

Palace want to sign Dikgacoi but sources at the club are not confident he will choose to ply his trade in the Championship for another year.

West Bromwich Albion boss Roy Hodgson is said to be keen and Fulham are willing to listen to offers this summer for the 26-year-old.

Click here for the No1 coverage of all the gossip and transfer news around Fulham.

White Noise

Out-of-contract Zoltan Gera to shun Serie A switch in favour of Premier League stay

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 12:43 AM on 29th March 2011

Fulham midfielder Zoltan Gera, who is a free agent in the summer, would prefer to stay in the Premier League than go to Italy.

Gera shift: Zoltan Gera is out of contract at Fulham in the summer

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1370948/Fulhams-Zoltan-Gera-targets-new-Premier-League-club.html#ixzz1Hy0PRgUl

White Noise

Fulham's Kelly returns to football with Republic armband

By Damian Spellman

Tuesday, 29 March 2011

Stephen Kelly will shake off the misery of more than four months without competitive football when he leads the Republic of Ireland out against World Cup semi-finalists Uruguay tonight.

The 27-year-old Fulham defender last kicked a ball in anger in his country's 2-1 friendly defeat by Norway on November 17, with an ankle injury and his club's improving form having severely limited his opportunities ever since.

However, he will have the chance to prove to club boss Mark Hughes that he has a role to play at Craven Cottage and to Ireland counterpart Giovanni Trapattoni that he can be equally useful to him, when he runs out at the Aviva Stadium against the South Americans.

Kelly, who will line up in central defence along Darren O'Dea, admits he cannot wait for his big night.

He said: "It's a huge honour, a huge privilege. The boss told me this morning.

"It's something you always dream off when you are a kid, first of all to play and represent your country, and then to lead your team out is just one of the of the greatest honours I can possibly ask for in football.

"I have not played for a couple of months, but fitness-wise, I have always been an extremely fit player and being able to come in and play 90 minutes now, I don't think will be a problem to me.

"I am just looking forward to the opportunity and hopefully it's something I can really enjoy.

"It's going to be a difficult game — Uruguay are a strong side. [Luis] Suarez has pulled out, but it still doesn't affect their potency and how tough a game it is going to be.

"It is something I'm really looking forward to and I am delighted with the privilege. Hopefully we can go out there and give a really good account of ourselves."

Anthony Stokes and Damien Delaney have been added to the Republic squad after Glenn Whelan withdrew with a back problem and Marc Wilson pulled out because of illness.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/fulhamrsquos-kelly-returns-to-football-with-republic-armband-15129454.html#ixzz1Hy1GSehF

White Noise

So, who will be on show at Wembley as England host Ghana in friendly?

By Colin Young and Matt Fortune

Last updated at 11:01 PM on 28th March 2011

England host Ghana at Wembley Stadium on Tuesday evening, and there will be a number of familiar faces from the Barclays Premier League on show...
Steve Bruce On his Ghanaian trio

'I'm delighted we've got all three (Asamoah Gyan, Sulley Muntari and John Mensah) at Sunderland. They all add something different, they are different players with different personalities. Make no mistake, England will be in for a game. And I have seen the Ghana fans many times; it will be a fantastic atmosphere.'

On Sulley Muntari

'Sulley and John have got that leadership about them. I never thought I'd get Sulley because he went to Inter Milan for massive money (£12.7m).'

Black Cats: Sunderland stars Muntari, Gyan and Mensah will line up for Ghana against England at Wembley
On Asamoah Gyan

'He's absolutely fantastic. He brightens up our training sessions, he's as bright as a button, he enjoys life, he's a good boy, but maybe not as good as he should be at times.'

Asamoah Gyan on Sulley Muntari

'He's a great guy, very quiet. He likes to be on his own. As a footballer, he is a fantastic player. Great left foot, wins so many tackles for the team. He doesn't hurt people, tough not rough.'

Asamoah Gyan on Asamoah Gyan

'In the dressing room, people like me. They think I am crazy. Outside the field I look crazy, make people laugh, but on the pitch I am very focused.'

Sulley Muntari on Asamoah Gyan

'The first time I saw him play was with Liberty, my ex-club in Ghana, and I fell in love with him. As a footballer, he's great, a wonderful player. He does things you can't describe that I love. As a person, he's a headache. Even then, he was like he is now - very hyper.'

Riding high: Fulham and Ghana defender Pantsil
A FAMILIAR FACE

John Pantsil

Laughed out of West Ham after two gaffe-prone years, Pantsil joined Fulham as part of the deal that also took Bobby Zamora there in 2008. The 29-year-old's club form is in stark contrast to his international record, having made his full debut in 2002 shortly after helping Ghana to the runners-up spot at the FIFA World Youth Championship in Argentina.
UNFAMILIAR FACES
Andre Ayew (caps 29)

A virtual ever-present in Marseille's title-chasing side, scoring seven times in Ligue 1. The son of national treasure Abedi 'Pele' Ayew, the winger has bags of pace and trickery and can interchange between the flanks as part of a three-pronged attack or four-man midfield. Played in all five of Ghana's games at the 2010 World Cup.

Dominic Adiyiah (caps 9)

Snapped up by AC Milan after helping Ghana to the Under 20 World Cup crown in 2009, where he won the Golden Ball (outstanding player) and Golden Shoe (top scorer with eight goals). Since joining Milan he has been sent out on loan to Reggina and Partizan Belgrade, where he operates as a deep-lying striker. Overcame the heartache of his father's funeral on Saturday to score in Ghana's 3-0 win over Congo on Sunday.
Prince Tagoe (caps 26)

Joined Adiyiah at Partizan on loan last month and has scored four times in four league games. The 24-year-old played in midfield during the World Cup but prefers to be unleashed further up the field, despite scoring just six goals - including the opener against Congo - in 26 internationals. Has struggled at parent club Hoffenheim, in Germany, after three years in Saudi Arabia and the UAE.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1370911/So-Wembley-England-host-Ghana-friendly.html#ixzz1Hy1YvUV7

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/mar/28/northern-ireland-lafferty-hughes-injured?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Ffootball%2Frss+%28Football%29

Northern Ireland's Kyle Lafferty and Aaron Hughes out of Slovenia game

• Duo both suffered injuries in Friday's defeat to Serbia

• Millwall striker Josh McQuoid called up to squad

Share   Press Association

guardian.co.uk, Monday 28 March 2011 14.44 BST

Kyle Lafferty injured his knee during Northern Ireland's defeat to Serbia. Photograph: Marko Drobnjakovic/AP

Northern Ireland are certain to be without the injured pair Kyle Lafferty and Aaron Hughes for Tuesday's Euro 2012 qualifier against Slovenia, with both players back at their clubs for treatment.

The striker Lafferty and the captain Hughes both suffered their injuries in Friday's Group C defeat to Serbia. Lafferty was taken off at half-time having experienced stiffness in his knee, while Hughes played the full 90 minutes despite dislocating his shoulder.

The Millwall striker Josh McQuoid has been called up to provide attacking cover in the absence of Lafferty and the suspended David Healy.

The Northern Ireland manager, Nigel Worthington, told the Belfast Telegraph: "Kyle will have to go back to Rangers for treatment and obviously David is out. Aaron didn't travel to Belfast with us on Saturday, instead he got a flight to London for a scan on his shoulder and it revealed some damage.

"Fulham are going to let it settle for a few days before seeing if the problem needs some further work, but his absence is, of course, a big blow for us."

Explaining the decision to add McQuoid, who made his debut against Morocco last year, to an attacking pool that includes just Warren Feeney and Liam Boyce as established strikers, Worthington added: "Josh is a good young player with plenty to offer us.

"He has a good turn of pace and is full of enthusiasm and drive and will be a welcome addition for what is now a very big game. He is also another young player in the squad and I really see that as the way forward for us."

White Noise

http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/wigan-athletic-fc/129226-wigan-athletic-rival-fulham-fc-for-spanish-target.html

Wigan Athletic rival Fulham FC for Spanish target

by Kieran Evans.

Published Mon 28 Mar 2011 14:51, Last updated: 2011-03-28

Wigan Athletic rival Fulham FC for Spanish target  According to reports Wigan Athletic are interested in Spanish striker Joaquin Alvarez.

The People claim the marksman, who is known as Quini, has been watched by the Latics.

However, it seems boss Roberto Martinez will face competition from his Fulham counterpart Mark Hughes who is also believed to be tracking the player.

The 30-year-old plays for Alcorcon in the Spanish Second Division where he is the leading goalscorer with 17 strikes.

The club values the striker at around £650,000, but it seems he may be picked up for half that amount given the club's financial situation.

White Noise

Legends Cup

Monday 28th March 2011

The London Legends Cup will be a unique opportunity to see former 'greats' from Fulham, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs compete in an 11-a-side Football40 tournament; a revolutionary style of football billed as football's answer to Twenty20 Cricket and Masters Tennis.

Former Fulham favourites including Gordon Davies, Bjarne Goldbaek, Andy Melville and Geoff Horsfield have all been recruited to represent Fulham's seniors in the tournament which will comprise three 40 minute matches. Fulham will face Chelsea in the first semi-final and then Arsenal will face Spurs. The winners of these two great derby matches will then compete in the final to win the final trophy of the season.

Glenn Hoddle, football legend, former England manager and Football40's Technical Director, said "I am delighted to be bringing together four great London teams for this event which provides senior players with the opportunity to play genuinely competitive matches. Football40 provides a whole new opportunity for the dedicated football supporter to see his club's greatest ever players at an affordable price".

The Chelsea team includes World Cup winner Claude Makelele who will be playing alongside Tore Andre Flo and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.

Ossie Ardiles will not only manage the Spurs team but will also provide an iconic moment when he kicks off the Spurs game with World Cup Winner and team mate Ricky Villa. Team mates will include the likes of Les Ferdinand, Darren Anderton, and Justin Edinburgh.

Arsenal will be captained by Ray Parlour, who will be playing alongside Paul Merson, Nigel Winterburn and Niall Quinn.

This three hour event, providing three exciting games for one ticket price, promises to be a Sunday afternoon of fun for all the whole family, with plenty of opportunities to obtain t-shirts and replica F40 legends kit signed by legends who will be there either playing or as guests.

Tickets for the inaugural Craven Cottage event on May 29 are now available from the Fulham online ticket office| or go to www.football40.com| for more information

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/LegendsMatch.aspx#ixzz1Hy2nyxxW

White Noise

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/6219/6/gera-ready-leave-fulham-summer-after-loan-move-denied

Gera ready to leave Fulham in the summer after loan move denied

By talkSPORT

Monday, March 28

Fulham midfielder Zoltan Gera is desperate to leave the club in the summer after being denied the chance to go out on loan back in January.

Gera has failed to secure a regular first-team place at Craven Cottage this season and was hoping to secure a move in the January transfer window.

But he was told by Mark Hughes that he needed to stay at the west London club.

Gera will become a free agent during the summer when his contract runs out and he is keen to get his career back on track.

Gera said: "I asked the manager to loan me out because I would like to play, but they didn't let me go.

"I wanted to leave in January too. I will be in a better position [when my contract expires] in summer. I will play, if not for Fulham, then someone else."

White Noise

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/football-league/championship/6219/8/crystal-palace-want-fulham-loan-star-permanent-deal

Crystal Palace want Fulham loan star on permanent deal

By Alex Shaw

Monday, March 28

Crystal Palace are keen to make Kagisho Dikgacoi's loan move permanent this summer but the South African is eager to remain in the Premier League.

Fulham midfielder Dikgacoi has caught the eye in south London following his move from to Selhurst Park on loan until the end of the season.

Dikgacoi has made just 13 appearances for Fulham since joining in 2009 and talkSPORT understands his future looks to be elsewhere.

Palace want to sign Dikgacoi but sources at the club are not confident he will choose to ply his trade in the Championship for another year.

West Brom manager Roy Hodgson is said to be keen and Fulham are willing to listen to offers this summer for the 26-year-old.

White Noise

Fixture News

Monday 28th March 2011

Fulham's Barclays Premier League match against Liverpool at the Cottage has been moved to Monday 9th May (KO 8pm). The game was previously scheduled to be played on Saturday 7th May. This fixture has been moved as the match will be shown live on Sky Sports.

A further change to the Club's end of season fixtures will see Fulham's game against Birmingham City at St. Andrews on Sunday 15th May kick-off at 4pm. The game was previously scheduled to kick-off at 3pm but has been changed at the request of the Premier League.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/FixtureNewsUpdate.aspx#ixzz1Hy65RVeI

White Noise

Kelly zeroes in on Ireland comeback

Published 22:59 28/03/11

By MirrorFootball

Stephen Kelly may have spent four months out of action, but he's ready to jump back into the deep end as he captains his country tonight against Uruguay.

The Fulham man has not featured for Mark Hughes' side since their draw with Newcastle in November, with his last competitive appearance coming for Ireland in the same month in a friendly against Norway.

But the 27-year-old Kelly is relishing the opportunity to lead his country out against the World Cup semi-finalists, despite four months on the sidelines.

He said: "It's a little more than I expected, but that's football. These things you have to deal with and it's definitely something that I'm up for.

"I've not played for a few months, but I've always been an extremely fit player and to play 90 minutes is not going to be a problem. I'm just looking forward to the opportunity and hopefully it is something I can really enjoy."

Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni makes a host of changes to his side from Saturday's win over Macedonia with Glenn Whelan, Richard Dunne, Robbie Keane, Kevin Kilbane, Kevin Doyle and Damien Duff missing out.

Aiden McGeady and Darron Gibson drop to the bench, but may feature late on against the World Cup semi-finalists

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Stephen-Kelly-has-spent-four-months-out-of-action-but-the-Fulham-defender-is-ready-to-jump-back-into-the-deep-end-as-Ireland-captain-against-Uruguay-article717918.html#ixzz1Hy6hOqSG

White Noise

Gera rejects new Fulham deal

By Jacob Murtagh

Mar 29 2011

ZOLTAN Gera's agent has claimed the winger has turned down the chance to stay at Fulham.

Instead, the Hungarian looks set to leave Craven Cottage when his contract expires at the end of the season.

Gera has been a bit-part player since Mark Hughes took over from Roy Hodgson last summer, spending most of his time kicking his heels on the sidelines as Damien Duff and Clint Dempsey have been preferred in the wide roles.

However, the player's representative, Vladan Filipovic, claims Hughes has offered the 31-year-old a new deal in SW6.

But Gera has snubbed the chance to continue his career at the Cottage.

Filipovic told Digi Sport: "I am surprised about Mark Hughes's decision. In recent weeks the management of Fulham tried to convince us to sign a new contract.

"We didn't sign it, because we have already knew in January that Gera will leave.

"Three years ago, when Zoli signed with Fulham, he said he wanted to stay in England, but now he doesn't rule out going to another country.

"He wants to play in a team which figures in an European cup. We don't rule out it will be an English team, but we have other options."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/03/29/gera-rejects-new-fulham-deal-82029-28417367/#ixzz1HyHlVTpM

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/adam-confident-blackpool-will-play-their-way-safety-1535981

Adam confident Blackpool will play their way to safety

29.03.11 | tribalfootball.com

Blackpool skipper Charlie Adam remains confident of beating the drop.

After initially taking the Premier League by storm in their first top-flight season since 1971, Blackpool have won only one of their past 10 games to slip to a point above the relegation zone.

Teams that go into freefall are often those which ultimately get relegated but Adam, who is also a Premier League rookie, said: "We're just focused on each game as it comes and playing the way we know we can.

"At the end of the day, if we're good enough, we'll stay in the league. The table never lies."

Ian Holloway's men could find themselves in the bottom three when they next take to the field at Fulham on Sunday, with all their relegation rivals playing the day before.

Adam said: "Every game's huge for us.

"From the start of the season right to the end, it's a big game.

"So we'll look forward to it and try to get as many points as we can from now until the end of the season and hopefully it's good enough to stay in the league."

White Noise

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/aussies-prepare-for-friendly-without-everton-star

Aussies prepare for friendly without Everton star

Australia - Revenge on the cards for tonights game against Germany, but will have to happen without Cahill

By Vanessa Keller  March 29, 2011

Australia's heroic goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer is looking forward to playing Germany once more and showing the European side that the 4-0 victory was a once off.

The friendly, which will take place in Moenchengladbach tonight, is a chance for the Socceroos to get back some dignity after taking a 4-0 thrashing at the hands of the Germans in their opening World Cup group stage match last year. Star midfielder Tim Cahill was sent off for a red card in the contest, after a poorly timed but certainly not malicious tackle on Bastian Schweinsteiger.

"That is always going to be a tough order [playing Germany away]," Schwarzer told Fox Sports.

"But we have done it before, we have gone to Holland and beaten the Dutch in their backyard (2-1, Eindhoven in 2008) and we have beaten England on their home ground (3-1, Upton Park in 2003).

"Nobody expected us to do both of those results so we are going to go in there with the confidence and belief in our own ability."

Schwarzer said that lessons were taken from the last Germany match up, and the Socceroos are planning never to repeat such a performance again.

"It was a very bitter blow and a very harsh lesson to learn," he said.

"Hopefully we have learnt a lot from it and improve on it and in the future those results and those performances won't happen to us."

Meanwhile Australian star Tim Cahill has not travelled with the Socceroos squad to Germany after being ruled out of the friendly with a foot injury.

Since returning from the Asia Cup in January, Cahill suffered a foot injury that put him out of the Everton squad for three weeks. The star returned to start against Fulham, where the Toffees won 2-1.

However, Cahill limped off the pitch after 69 minutes, and fitness tests are still being done on the midfielder with hopes he hasn't re-injured his foot.

The friendly with Germany is showing live on ESPN's viewers choice from 20:45 local time, and 5:45 Wednesday morning Eastern Standard Australian time.

White Noise

International Night

Tuesday 29th March 2011

Northern Ireland will be without skipper Aaron Hughes for this evening's crucial Euro 2012 Qualifier against Slovenia in Belfast. Hughes returned to Fulham following Northern Ireland's narrow defeat to Serbia last weekend. However Chris Baird will be in action at Windsor Park tonight as both teams look to stake a claim for a play-off place behind runaway group C leaders Italy.

Fulham defender Stephen Kelly has been handed the captain's armband by manager Giovanni Trapattoni for tonight's international friendly match against Uruguay in Dublin. His Fulham team mate Damien Duff has been allowed to return to Fulham's Training Ground following his impressive performance in the Republic's Euro 2012 Qualifier win over Macedonia on Saturday.

Goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer is set to earn his 89th cap for Australia tonight when the Socceroos take on Germany at Borussia-Park in Monchengladbach in an international friendly match.

Another Fulham player who is set to increase his impressive tally of international caps this evening is John Pantsil. The Black Stars defender is set to line-up against England in an international friendly at Wembley Stadium. Both sides go into the match on the back of convincing wins in their Continental Qualifiers over the weekend, but with several key England players being rested, the home side could be in for a tough ride against Goran Stevanovic's team.

After taking part in the USA's thrilling 1-1 draw with Argentina last weekend, Clint Dempsey is set to feature in America's international friendly against Paraguay in Nashville on Tuesday night.

Even further afield in South America, Carlos Salcido will take part in Mexico's friendly against Venezuela in San Diego before returning to Fulham ahead of Sunday's match against Blackpool at Craven Cottage.

Meanwhile closer to home in Europe, Zoltan Gera and Mousa Dembele are involved in crucial Euro 2012 Qualifiers for Hungary and Belgium respectively. Gera takes on the Netherlands in Amsterdam as Dembele and his Belgium colleagues challenge Azerbaijan on home turf in Brussels.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/InternationalNight.aspx#ixzz1HzS3uD65

White Noise

Captain Kelly

Tuesday 29th March 2011

Fulham defender Stephen Kelly has been handed the captain's armband by Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni for tonight's friendly match against Uruguay at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin.

Kelly was clearly delighted after the news of his captaincy was confirmed but the defender will certainly not be underestimating the task at hand this evening, as the Republic test their mettle against 2010 World Cup Semi-Finalists, Uruguay.

"It's a huge honour, a privilege," said Kelly ahead of Tuesday night's match. "It's something you always kind of dream of when you're a kid. First of all it's to represent your country and then to lead it out. It's one of the greatest honours you could possibly ask for.

"They're World Cup semi-finalists so of course it's going to be a tough game. But it's a good opportunity for the lads to make a good impression on the boss, to show him what they're capable of doing. I think everyone's going to have that in mind. Against better opposition you have to perform better yourself. That is what everyone will be looking to do, raise their game and compete with them."

As an experienced international, Kelly dismissed the possibility of suffering any nerves this evening as he leads the Republic of Ireland out for the first time, and the defender is clearly looking to make the most of his opportunity to impress manager Giovanni Trapattoni in central defence.

"I don't think I'll be nervous," Kelly explained. "I've been around for a long enough at this stage to not be nervous. I'll just look to get on, do well and enjoy it as much as I can, to be honest. I suppose there's a little bit more pressure but that's football.

"These are the kind of things you have to deal with. I'm up for it and more than capable of taking it (the opportunity) with both hands. I have not played for a couple of months, but fitness-wise, I have always been an extremely fit player and being able to come in and play ninety minutes now, I don't think will be a problem to me.

"It's just an opportunity at centre back to show the boss what I can do in that position, to make an impact on the team hopefully and lead from the defence. I think whoever was playing against them (Uruguay) is going to find it difficult."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/CaptainKelly.aspx#ixzz1HzSHRt7H

White Noise

http://www.kickoff.com/news/20984/kagisho-dikgacoi-backs-bongani-khumalo-in-loan-to-preston-north-endor.php

KG backs Khumalo's decision

Posted: 2011-03-29 13:16

Bafana Bafana midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi has backed his teammate Bongani Khumalo's decision to move to join Preston North End. 

Khumalo is to spend the next three months with Preston on loan from Tottenham Hotspur.

The defender joined Spurs in January from SuperSport United after impressing during a trial spell and had still to make his debut for the English Premiership side before coach Harry Redknapp agreed to send him to Preston to gain valuable game time.

Both Khumalo and Dikgacoi are now playing in the English Championship after the latter was loaned to Crystal Palace by Fulham recently.

"I will only go back to Fulham if I am guaranteed game time "
- Kagisho Dikgacoi

"I think it was a good decision for Bongani as he was in the same situation as me at Fulham. Since I moved here I am now playing week in and week out. I have already played six games which I don't think would have happened at Fulham.

"The only way to gain match fitness is to play games and it was important for him to go there and get game time. This is not only going to benefit him, but also Bafana Bafana."

Dikgacoi refused to speculate about his future with Fulham after his loan deal with Crystal Palace expires at the end of the season.

"Right now I haven't decided. But I will only go back to Fulham if I am guaranteed game time. They have already exercised an option to renew my contract and we will see what happens at the end of the season."

'KG' is set to fly back to England tonight after helping Bafana Bafana beat Egypt 1-0 in the Afcon qualifier in Johannesburg at the weekend. 

Ernest Fakude

NogoodBoyo

Dikgacoi wants "guaranteed play-time?"
That's s funny one.  Nobody should get guaranteed play-time in a well-functioning squad.  Not even Danny Murphy.
Nogood "guaranbloodyteed to you, Diki, isit" Boyo