watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (03.04.11)

Started by White Noise, April 03, 2011, 07:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/04/03/why-that-fulham-jacko-statue-is-not-so-wacko-102039-23033227/

Why that Fulham Jacko statue is not so wacko

Apr 3 2011 by Dean Jones, The People

BREDE HANGELAND will not bat an eyelid when Fulham reveal a Michael Jackson statue today – because he remembers Jimmy Bullard's tribute to the King of Pop.

Mohamed Al Fayed is unveiling a bust of MJ at Craven Cottage this afternoon in honour of his friend.

Some fans are embarrassed but Hangeland reckons the chairman has a right to build whatever he likes at the stadium after becoming a legend in his own right since buying the club.

He said: "When Jimmy Bullard was here he used to dance to Thriller in the changing room.

"It was a little warm-up dance before games, and he could do the moonwalk! He had all the moves. Michael was a close friend of the chairman and this is what he wanted to do, so we respect that fact.

"The chairman has done fantastic things for this club and we all owe him so much. It's hard to say whether Fulham would be in the Premier League without him but he is the main factor behind the success over the past 10 years."

Fulham are among the clubs who could be relegated this season and face struggling Blackpool today.

Hangeland, who has just over two years left on his contract, admits he will have to consider his future if Fulham go down.

He said: "There has been speculation about me leaving. I enjoy it here but if we went down I'd have to think about what I'd do, of course."

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/football-hotline/2011/04/03/kagisho-dikgacoi-will-leave-fulham-for-first-team-action-102039-23033512/

Kagisho Dikgacoi will leave Fulham for first-team action

Apr 3 2011 by Dean Jones, The People

KAGISHO DIKGACOI will look for a permanent move away from Fulham in the summer.

He is currently on loan at Crystal Palace but will speak to Mark Hughes upon his return to Craven Cottage at the end of the season.

The club recently took up an option to extend his contract but South African international Dikgacoi wants to move on if he is not given a guarantee of regular first team action.

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/football-hotline/2011/04/03/hodgson-wants-pantsil-at-the-hawthorns-102039-23033509/

Hodgson wants Pantsil at the Hawthorns

Apr 3 2011

by Dean Jones, The People

WEST BROM boss Roy Hodgson could offer John Pantsil a fresh start.

His Fulham contract is up in June and Mark Hughes is not rushing to keep the 29-year-old defender.

White Noise

http://www2.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/184383/Brede-Hangeland-I-want-to-hang-around-a-lot-longer/

BREDE HANGELAND: I WANT TO HANG AROUND A LOT LONGER

3rd April 2011

By Tony Stenson

BREDE HANGELAND hopes to turn his stay at Fulham into another Thriller.

Norwegian defender Brede Hangeland, 29, welcomed owner Mohamed Al Fayed's decision to unveil a statue of pop singer Michael Jackson at Craven Cottage before today's game with Blackpool.

But he revealed he doesn't know which way his career will go if Fulham end up being relegated.

He said: "I have two years left on my contract after this season. If we go down I will have to think. But I am confident we will stay up and I can continue living in London. You could live here for 100 years and only see half of it."

Hangeland has been linked with a move to Arsenal or Manchester United, particularly following the Cottagers' incredible surge to last season's Europa League Final.

He said: "These have only been rumours. For now I am happy here.

"Fulham have been great for me, the owner has been excellent. Without him this club might have died. If he wants to put up a statue of Michael Jackson then good luck to him.

"We listen to his songs in our dressing room and Jimmy Bullard once did a marvellous moonwalk to Thriller. It could sum this place up.

"I love being here. The only thing that would make it better is more competition. Because of injuries, it's been just Aaron Hughes and myself in central defence. That is wrong."

White Noise

CRAVEN IMAGE OF JACKO THRILLS BRIAN 

FULHAM v BLACKPOOL

Sunday April 3,2011

By Colin Mafham 

FULHAM v BLACKPOOL: THEY are guaranteed a Thriller at Craven Cottage today – but it has nothing to do with visitors Blackpool.

This Thriller is the Michael Jackson hit which Fulham's players are set to lend an ear to following the unveiling of a statue to the late pop idol outside the ground.

It has been put there by Fulham owner Mohamed Al Fayed as a tribute to his pal Jackson.

Their friendship blossomed after Jacko saw Fulham play in 1999 and shopped at Al Fayed's Harrods store.

The statue is a big hit with the Fulham squad, who used to enjoy former player Jimmy Bullard's impression of Jacko's Moonwalk.

Defender Brede Hangeland said: "The chairman has done fantastic things for this club and if he wants to do this that's fine by us."

He admitted that the statue of Jacko outside the ground – there is also one of Fulham legend Johnny Haynes – provided a spot of light relief in what has been a long, hard season.

The Norwegian said: "I always fear relegation and hopefully we will soon have enough points to rule that out. I will be very happy then."

But Hangeland, who was eyed by Arsenal and Liverpool last summer, added: "I would like to think relegation won't happen, but if it did I would have to consider my future, of course."

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/238321/Craven-image-of-Jacko-thrills-Brian-Craven-image-of-Jacko-thrills-Brian-#ixzz1IRFT3lqh

White Noise

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/fulham-vs-blackpool-sun-3-apr-2011

Fulham Vs Blackpool, Sun 3 Apr 2011

Fulham Vs Blackpool: Match Preview

By GMF Editor  April 02, 2011

Fulham Vs Blackpool    DATE:Sun 3 Apr 2011

TIME:13:30

VENUE:Craven Cottage

Fulham manager Mark Hughes insists that beneath Ian Holloway's comical persona lies a sharp footballing brain.

Hughes' friendship with the Blackpool boss started before the Tangerines' expectation-defying debut season in the Barclays Premier League.

Holloway, who takes his team to Craven Cottage on Sunday, is a colourful figure but Hughes refuses to be deceived by his antics.

"I known Ian reasonably well. We have some mutual friends so after games I'd spend a little more time with him," he said.

"I really enjoy his company, as you'd expect. He's a great personality and a great guy to spend time with.

"He's not at all removed from his public persona in private, he's exactly the same!

"What people have to understand is that although they laugh at his comments - and I think bravado has much to do with his comments - he knows his stuff.

"He's a very knowledgeable football man and sometimes when the statements come out that make people chuckle, that can be lost. But make no mistake, he understands what he's about and trying to do. That's reflected in his teams."

Holloway is hoping to revive Blackpool's fortunes following a recent slump that has seen them win just one of their last 11 league matches.

"Ian's done a great job and has had a fantastic first season," said Hughes. "Obviously Blackpool can stay up but they are on a run of form that's difficult and that would concern me.

"I'm sure it concerns Holly that they haven't won that many games of late. But in every game they're competitive and look like they can score goals.

"It's difficult when you haven't won games for a while - that anxiety can creep into your game."

Striker Bobby Zamora is a doubt for Fulham because of illness but midfielder Steve Sidwell is in contention to play after recovering from his knee injury.

Defender Aaron Hughes is expected to feature despite dislocating his shoulder on international duty for Northern Ireland.

Holloway hopes to steer Blackpool clear of relegation - Spanish style.

The club's enthusiastic manager is promising supporters a subtle twist to an already entertaining brand of football.

Holloway spent part of the international break in Spain learning different techniques at various training grounds. He is now planning to implement those skills, starting on Sunday.

Holloway said: "I went on a fact-finding mission to Spain and saw things that convinced me I know what I am talking about.

"I am going to tweak what I do and try to get even more of the ball the way Spanish teams do. I have come back with some different things that I need to add to the team."

Holloway has already won praise from his peers in Blackpool's debut season in the Premier League. In a poll of top-flight managers, 80% of them named the Tangerines the team of the season.

Holloway said: "It is fantastic that people are saying nice things about my side but it doesn't get you points.

"Part of the reason I came back into the game was that I actually wanted to make a difference and produce a product I would pay to watch. It is just the start for me."

Blackpool are only one point above the relegation zone as they head to London but Holloway is not worried about the run-in and perhaps losing their status.

He said: "Obviously there is a lot at stake but I am very positive. We have been as effective away from home as many other Premier League teams.

"It is all to play for. It is absolutely exciting. The funny thing is you try and work out who should win what games, we have blown that off the chart.

"The teams who come up don't normally win away games but look at us. We will be calm, we will be trying to play football. You won't see us freeze, you won't see us worry.

"Who knows which way it is going to go. It is really exciting. A lot of people thought we would be lucky to get 10 points."

Blackpool will be without defender David Carney as the Australian has a shoulder injury.

DJ Campbell is also missing through suspension but skipper Charlie Adam has recovered from a knock and is expected to start.

Goalkeeper Paul Rachubka returns to the bench following a knee problem and will provide back-up for Richard Kingson.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6847698,00.html

Gera set to ride out storm

Fulham midfielder says he hasn't forgotten how to play football

By Juha Pal   

Last updated: 2nd April 2011

Gera: Out of favour

Zoltan Gera claims his role at Fulham won't change despite scoring two goals for Hungary in midweek.

The midfielder, who will be a free agent at the end of the season, has fallen out of favour with manager Mark Hughes.

Gera showed his problems at Craven Cottage have not affected his performances for his country after scoring a brace in Hungary's 5-3 European Championship qualifying defeat in Holland.

He told Origo.hu: "I've been frustrated previously as I couldn't play good football in the national team and I haven't played regularly for my club.

Fresh energy

"But I'm very happy that I could show it against Holland and that I haven't forgotten how to play football.

"I hope that somehow I can ride out the storm in the next couple of months and then I can start again with a fresh energy maybe here or maybe with another club.

"Many fans asked me why I don't play because they think I'm injured. But I'm fully fit. This is life, sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down. But I really love football.

"I feel bad when I can't play, so I'm working hard in order to change my position."

White Noise

Hangeland living in fear of relegation threat

Published 23:00 02/04/11

By Wally Downes

Fulham's towering ­defender Brede ­Hangeland has been gripped with the fear of relegation all season and the threat of being forced to leave the west London club.

The giant centre-half is not afraid to admit that the speculation linking the Norwegian with a move away from Craven Cottage and his side's poor start to the season has had him on edge.

"I will always fear the drop until we have enough points to rule it out," said Hangeland.

"I think that apart from maybe five or six teams in the league we all fear it, I certainly do and I will be glad when we have enough points this season.

"I like to think that we won't go down but if that did happen then I would have to consider my future, but what I have said still remains.

"I really like this club and I will do whatever I can to make sure we are in the Premier League all the time."

A win against Blackpool today could lift Mark Hughes's side away from the relegation zone and go some way to ending talk of the 6ft 5in powerhouse moving on.

"There has been some speculation during my time at the club but I have always said that I enjoy it here and this club is full of good people and surrounded by good people and the chairman is certainly one of them," he added

The chairman Hangeland speaks so highly of is former Harrods owner Mohammed Al Fayed, the man who bought Fulham in 1997 when they were languishing in the third tier and transformed them into a Premier League side within four years.

"The chairman has done fantastic things for this club and we all owe him so much, he has been brilliant.

"He comes in occasionally and talks to the players, he is a really nice guy and we all know what he has done for the club, in my time here and long before so we all have a lot of good things to say about him and a lot of respect."

That respect means Hangeland will not join the sniggering critics when a Michael Jackson statue is unveiled at

Craven Cottage ahead of today's game - as he has seen stranger sights.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-s-Brede-Hangeland-is-living-in-fear-of-relegation-and-the-threat-of-having-to-leave-the-club-article719270.html#ixzz1IRIIqNfP

White Noise

Story by Dan King from the NotW -

Get Hang Of It

Fulhams Brede Hangeland is a £10 million target for Bayern Munich.
The German giants are preparing for a revamp of their squad after a dismal season in the Bundesliga and Hangeland is one of a number of English based players they are monitoring.

Hangeland confessed that if Fulham go down he may leave. He said "I'd like to think we won't but if it happened I'd have to consider my future". 

White Noise

Extracts from Greg Gobere article in NotW.

Mark Vows To Fight On At 40

Mark Schwarzer is convinced he can play well into his forties.

And the Fulham goalkeeper plans to keep turning out even longer than Manchester United veteran Edwin can der Sar.

Schwarzer who turns 39 this year said "I don't think there is any age where you could say a goalkeeper can't play any more. You just have to set yourself goals. In the back of my mind I'm looking at the 2014 World - U will be 41".

"I feel better after games now than throughout my career. I'm in the gym 4 days a week. I have changed what I eat and when I eat it. Its not rocket science. I've worked hard on lowering my body fat.

"People have asked me about stepping aside for the younger generation but I have the same mindset I had when I started playing. No one stepped aside and have me a chance, I had to earn it. You need to earn the shirt. There are too many teams where players are given opportunities before they are naturally next in line. Its the same at club level - but I want to play every game."