https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (06.04.11)

Started by White Noise, April 06, 2011, 07:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Loving The Game

Wednesday 6th April 2011

In this, his 20th season as a professional, Mark Schwarzer has had to field a number of questions regarding his future in the game – the wording may vary but his answer remains consistent.

Behind every successful team stands a great goalkeeper and here at Craven Cottage, Schwarzer has been one of the foundations from which our recent achievements have been built. Much has been said and written in regards to the Australian's contribution, and fans will need little reminding of the part he has played since arriving on a free transfer from Middlesbrough in July 2008.

Few demonstrate such a calculated reading of the game, while fewer still preside over their box with more authority and conviction. The 38-year-old is a 'keeper who instils belief in all those he plays with and unease in those he plays against.

Two decades in the game and 14 seasons in English football stand him out as one of the Barclays Premier League's finest, and the good news for Fulham is that he has no plans to call time on his distinguished career just yet.

"It's a question that I have been asked a lot," reveals Mark. "But every time I explain how I hold no thoughts on retiring just yet. I feel as good as I ever have done, I work hard and I'm performing – which for me is the ultimate consideration.

"As long as I am playing well week-in-week-out and the Manager is playing me then I'll be around for a while to come. I have signed a contract that keeps me at Fulham until the end of next season, and potentially there could be another year after that too.

"I've been involved in the game for a while now, and when you play for the period of time that I have, you're inevitably going to pass various landmarks. Twenty years as a professional is certainly an achievement, but it's one of those things that I will look back on and consider the greater meaning when I have stopped playing.

"To be honest I don't like to think about such things too much, because if you do, you're kind of giving into the fact that your days as a player are coming to an end. All I want to do is concentrate on playing and at present I'm looking forward and not back."

Fulham fans will be buoyed by the news that Schwarzer harbours no intention of hanging up the gloves just yet, however, they will spare a thought for David Stockdale, who has coped admirably in the Aussie stopper's absence this season.

"It's always tough when you come in and do well but then get left out again," explains Mark. "I can sympathize with David because I've been in that position myself. It's all part of the learning process though and all about how you react.

"I want to be playing every game, and that's the only angle that I can take. It's difficult for the guy behind you, but David is a terrific young goalkeeper and he has shown what he is capable of this season.

"But I have to concentrate on my game and make sure that I am playing at my best. Goalkeepers work in a competitive environment, competing against one another for just the one shirt – but that's the life that we live."

The confidence Schwarzer has inspired, the clean sheets he has kept and the match-winning saves he has made have done much for his popularity on the banks of the Thames. As one of the undisputed Premier League goalkeepers, he has set the benchmark for others to follow.

Unquestionably vital to his club, he also holds a significant influence on the international stage too, becoming Australia's most capped player in January on same day the Socceroos reached the final of the Asian Cup.

"Again it's something that I will look back on in years to come and probably pinch myself," he says. "Winning my 88th cap in the final made for a tremendous occasion, but losing the game to Japan kind of took the gloss off a little.

"It was an unforgettable moment and hopefully I can extend that record a bit further. I'm still very much in the plans of my coach Holger Osieck and I believe that I have a lot more to give. I've been extremely fortunate to have played at two World Cups and who's to say that I can't make it to a third?"

In fine form of late, Schwarzer's role from now until the end of the season will be crucial as the Whites look to cement their position in the top half of the table.

Now in his third season with the Club, he has unquestionably joined the likes of Tony Macedo, Peter Mellor, Gerry Peyton, Maik Taylor and Edwin Van der Sar as one of our favourite stoppers.

At 40, former hero Van der Sar will call time on his distinguished 21-year career, one that took in four seasons at Craven Cottage, at the current campaign's end. The Dutchman's longevity has been an example to many – including Schwarzer.

"The Fulham fans know all about Edwin, and he's widely considered as one of the best in the business," he explains. "He's enjoyed a fantastic career and I know he did well for this Club too. It will be a shame when he calls it a day.

"I've got a few years on Edwin though, but he's certainly someone that I look at and think that if he can play at the top for as long as he has then I can do the same. Alongside Brad Friedel he's shown what can be achieved and I don't think there's a marker for how long a goalkeeper can go on for now.

"There's been a lot of advancements in the game to allow that to happen. I made a conscious decision to change my regime not too long ago, and with the help that I get from the Sports Science Department, the nutritionist and the Strength and Conditioning team it seems to be working.

"I'm still training with the same intensity, but I'm now doing up to four sessions a week in the gym and have changed my diet a fair bit too – I feel a lot better for it though. It's not rocket science either, it's really all about discipline. Fortunately I have that, probably as a result of my German heritage!"

A dedicated professional whose own permanence comes as a result of hard-work, dedication and consistency; he's also a player that always plays the game with a smile on his face.

"For me that's one of the most important factors," reveals Mark. "We've talked about maintaining your time at the top and keeping yourself fit and healthy. But equally, you have to have that love for the game – which is another reason to keep playing.

"Too many people these days just don't have that. My son Julian plays for the Academy's Under-11s and there are boys of that age running around without a smile on their face. That's a very sad thing.

"Sometimes this game can be too serious. Of course, we all want to win and be successful, but I think the reason why we all started playing can be lost at times. The magnitude of games is massive, but you have to have that element of enjoyment – people undervalue how significant that can be. That also breeds success."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/SchwarzerFeature.aspx#ixzz1IkdbD1Ov

White Noise

Next One Up

Wednesday 6th April 2011

This weekend we travel to Old Trafford to face a Manchester United side chasing their 12th Premier League title.

For the Red Devils, our visit comes in the middle of a Champions League Quarter-Final against Chelsea and a week ahead of an FA Cup Semi-Final date against Manchester City.

With Arsenal still hot on United's heels in the title race, Alex Ferguson's side will be determined to extend their impressive home record. Having lost three and drawn eight away from home, it is at Old Trafford where they have been at their strongest – winning 14 and drawing just one of their 15 games to date.

Fulham and United shared an exciting 2-2 draw at Craven Cottage back in August. Simon Davies cancelled out an early Paul Scholes strike, before Brede Hangeland put the ball into his own net with just six minutes remaining. A penalty save from David Stockdale denied Nani three minutes later, before Hangeland made amends and won a point with a late headed goal.

Like most, the Whites haven't found Old Trafford the happiest of hunting grounds, our last victory there achieved in October 2003, when goals from Lee Clark, Steed Malbranque and Junichi Inamoto earned a memorable 3-1 victory. In recent years, United have held a clear upper hand, winning the last two encounters 3-0.

United's line-up may well contain two more than familiar faces, in the form of former Whites Edwin Van der Sar and Chris Smalling. The popular Dutch 'keeper spent four seasons at Craven Cottage and is widely recognised as one of our all-time finest, while England Under-21 Smalling made his breakthrough in SW6 before leaving last summer.

Ground Details
Address: Sir Matt Busby Way, Old Trafford, Manchester, M16 0RA
Telephone: 0161 868 8000
Capacity: 76,212
Visitors Sections: South Stand
Disabled Sections: Facilities in South East corner of ground

GETTING TO OLD TRAFFORD (Approx. 210 miles from Fulham)
Originally built in 1910, Old Trafford is now the biggest club stadium in Britain, holding just over 76,000, yet despite its intimidating enormity, it retains plenty of character. Attending a match at Old Trafford is regarded as one of the best footballing experiences in the world and is something every fan looks forward to.

BY ROAD
Leave London via M1 or M40/M42/M5 to join M6. Continue on M6 until Junction 19.
Follow signs Manchester Airport onto A556 and in 4 miles join M56 (signs Manchester). In approx 7 miles exit M56 at Junction 3 following signs for M60 West onto M60. Exit M60 at Junction 7 turning right onto A56 Chester Road. Continue on A56 and ground is on the left in approx 2 miles.

CAR PARKING
There are a number of car parks within a short distance of the ground. Most priced at £10. Parking is strictly controlled within the vicinity of Old Trafford.

BY RAIL
Travel from London Euston to Manchester Piccadilly. Station is about 2 miles from stadium. Numerous buses are available from Piccadilly, and Old Trafford station is on the Altrincham tramlink. Taxi from about £8.

THE AREA
It can be difficult to gain entry to bars or pubs in the vicinity of the stadium in visiting teams' colours, so the best bet is to head to the city centre, which is only a few stops away on the MetroLink. Alternatively, there are plenty of concessions stalls within the ground at reasonable prices. Other local sights include Manchester Cathedral, The Manchester Wheel (Manchester's answer to the London eye) and the Manchester United club museum.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/ManchesterUnitedNextUp.aspx#ixzz1Ikdp5mOU

White Noise

Didier Drogba had to be pulled away from a row with a fan at Stoke, at West Ham Wayne Rooney exploded at the world and there was an exchange between a supporter and Ian Holloway at Fulham.

The renewed Respect campaign may have finally swung into action on the pitch but the anger and frustration had to come out somewhere.

Players and managers cannot change overnight so prepare to see more of these incidents - or a return to the bad old ways with officials - in the coming, pressure-filled weeks as the season reaches its climax.

It will be messy and will get worse before it gets better, but while the long overdue Respect campaign is the spark, the blame has to be taken by those who step out of line.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1373924/Fernando-Torres-owes-Chelsea-Manchester-United--Leos-London.html#ixzz1IkeGy3ta

Mr Fulham

http://www.fansfc.com/story/31274.html

Fulham eyeing Everton defender

Joseph Yobo is a reported target for Fulham Football Club.

The 30-year-old defender was David Moyes first signing as Everton manager, but he fell down the pecking order for a place in the side last season.

Yobo has this term been on loan at Fenerbahce, and he recently revealed he would be willing to sign for the Turkish side on a permanent basis.

As it stands, though, the Nigerian international will return to Goodison Park in the summer, where he would then see out the remaining year of his contract.

However, it is understood that Mark Hughes is keen to take Yobo to Craven Cottage, and would be prepared to pay around £3million for his signature.

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/04/06/2428498/fulhams-clint-dempsey-i-can-play-with-more-freedom-under

Fulham's Clint Dempsey: I can play with more freedom under Mark Hughes

American hails boss for allowing him to express himself more on the pitch this season, and says he wants to play even better due to the amount of faith shown in him

6 Apr 2011 09:35:00

EXCLUSIVE

By Allen Ramsey

Fulham's Clint Dempsey has hailed Mark Hughes for showing confidence in him this season.

The American has featured regularly for the Cottagers this campaign after an injury-hit spell towards the end of Roy Hodgson's reign.

And after scoring 11 goals in all competitions for the club this term, Dempsey has praised Hughes for allowing him to play with more freedom on the pitch.

"I just feel more of a freedom under [Hughes] to go out and try things," he told Goal.com.

"Also, he's shown a lot of confidence in me in keeping me in games and moving me around in positions, in more of attacking roles in the dying minutes of the games to try and get points.

"And that's something that really means a lot to me and makes me want to go out there and work even harder for him."

Hughes is Dempsey's fourth boss in his time at Fulham, but the midfielder has coped well with the changes and says his ability to seize on the chances he's been given have been key to his career.

"A lot of my career has been my competitive nature and my willingness not to accept things," he said.

"Just because they say this or they say that, I don't let that affect me. I make it what it is or die trying. That's the type of attitude I approach things with. I think that's kind of put me in situations to get opportunities and then when I've gotten those opportunities I've been able to grab them with both hands and make something of those."

Dempsey also says he is happy to have made an impact in a European league, adding: "It feels good, always, to be amongst that type of company [with] the best [American] players that have gone over to Europe and been successful.

"But for me, it's something that feels good, but it's not enough. I want to keep pushing myself, keep bettering myself and see how far I can actually take it and what I can actually do with my career.

"I'm not really stopping and smelling the roses too much, just staying on my grind and trying to really make an impact and leave something special when I'm done playing."

White Noise

FFC Podcast

Striker Bobby Zamora is the main man on this week's Inside Fulham Podcast, which also features Mark Hughes and Mark Schwarzer following Sunday's 3-0 win over Blackpool at the Cottage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/iffc

RidgeRider

Quote from: Mr Fulham on April 06, 2011, 02:59:46 PM
http://www.fansfc.com/story/31274.html

Fulham eyeing Everton defender

Joseph Yobo is a reported target for Fulham Football Club.

The 30-year-old defender was David Moyes first signing as Everton manager, but he fell down the pecking order for a place in the side last season.

Yobo has this term been on loan at Fenerbahce, and he recently revealed he would be willing to sign for the Turkish side on a permanent basis.

As it stands, though, the Nigerian international will return to Goodison Park in the summer, where he would then see out the remaining year of his contract.

However, it is understood that Mark Hughes is keen to take Yobo to Craven Cottage, and would be prepared to pay around £3million for his signature.

Why would we want him? So he can sit and play on the reserves?

BrandonTit

within a Boston area . Then tie colors , deep black size-fits- all , not new. Out of the blue , Ralph Lauren (Ralph Lauren) to win an opportunity design tie . He earned ??bold innovations on the tie appearance , as well as increased in width twice massive will be more bright and colorful , attractive raised the costs twice , it feels rightchaussures christian louboutin

can be a deep breath good taste American fashion brand , style , highly stylized Ralph Lauren 's two stylish fashion "Lauren Ralph Lauren" ( Ralph Lauren Women ) and " Polo Ralph Lauren "( Ralph Laolun Ma ball men ) through the common characteristics. And alsochristian louboutin homme

if it's perfume or containers, have catered to top of the class customers craving for the best life . Or as Ralph Lauren ( Ralph Lauren ) , Mr. I said : " The goal my design often achieve have dreamed of people's minds - the correcthttp://www.torimasyou.com/

of the North america , in addition to the U . s by way of an intense flavor . Two brand Ralph Lauren name PolobyRalphLauren and RalphLauren worldwide sales in your area a new high -quality fashion , the designer Ralph Lauren Ralph Lauren 's reputation and brand continuously carry forward the wonderfullongchamp en ligne

across the nation Ralph Lauren (Ralph Lauren), whose father had been a painter fantastic mother rrs really a typical housewife , using their family background is worried, almost led clothing not some of the best. However , Ralph Lauren (Ralph Lauren) just for the acuity of clothing , can probably be said to become born , playing it coming from a urine of sewing clothes themselves , the generals equipment and jeans together as you , sopolo ralph lauren soldes