Monday Fulham Stuff (11.04.11)

Started by White Noise, April 11, 2011, 07:16:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://fulhamsfinest.com/2011/04/10/moussa-dembele-the-slump/

Moussa Dembele: The Slump

Posted: April 10, 2011

by Kyle in Player/Manager

Despite generally a good season, Dembele hasn't had much to smile about recently (courtesy teamtalk.com)

Moussa Dembele was transferred to Fulham from AZ Alkmaar in August for £5 million.  A few months ago, critics had been calling it the steal of the summer transfer window.  Dembele's known for his bursts of speed and tricky ball-handling.  People knew coming into the signing that he doesn't score as many goals as one might expect from a striker.  That we knew.  He's a chance-creater, not a chance-finisher, as I've said many times before.

And he was proving his worth.  His numbers have been anything from extraordinary, scoring only 4 goals in the entire season, including only 2 in Premier League play (both in one match, a 2-1 home victory over Wolves), and he only has 3 assists to go with that.  But his play had been phenomenal.  He was creating chances with his precision passing and excellent vision.  That's his strength and he was using it.  Check it out:

As you can see, in the 3-goal outburst against Blackburn (which, sadly, is one of only 2 times all season this club has reached 3 goals in Premier League play with Dembele in the lineup), the striker is all over the place.  He had 4 completed passes on or past the top of the goalie box, and missed 3.  Anytime you're above half and half in that area, it's pretty good.  He also recorded an assist, and had a 76% passes completed percentage, which isn't too bad.

However, things have changed.   He's slumping horribly.  He hasn't had an assist since that Blackburn match, and his passing has been very off.  He hasn't done anything horribly wrong, but he has been practically invisible.  Let me show you what I mean:

This is the Everton match.  While not as bad as what I will show you in a bit, as you can see as opposed to the Blackburn match, he's more clustered in his passes, and not only that, while having a better passing percentage, they're almost ALL backwards.  There is zero evidence of chance creation in this chalkboard.  While backwards passes sometimes can be incredibly effective, you can't be doing it the entire match as a striker.  There is NOTHING forward about this chalkboard.  Nothing.  In fact, past the midfield circle in the attacking half, there are two successful forward passes. Two.  One is a little dinker to Duff on the right in the 32nd minute and the other is the only semblence of an attacking pass on the entire chalkboard, a good find of Salcido from the middle off to the left in 1st half stoppage time.

Now, if that's not enough, let's go for one that's even worse.  The Manchester United match.

Yikes.  Let me tell you why this chalkboard is a disaster.  First off, he is in a ridiculously tight cluster, meaning he's basically standing in one place the entire match.  Look at it.  Not counting his throw-in on the right and a kickout to Salcido from the box, LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE PASS of his comes from a circle in the middle of the attacking half with a diamater of about 15 yards.  The guy hardly moved!  Ok, you know what? Let's give him the benefit of the doubt (which I'm not, but hypothetically speaking).  Let's pretend that was Mark Hughes' strategy coming into the game (for God knows what reason).  Let's look at his attacking passes.  He attempts 6 passes into the area past the goalie box line.  3 of them were successful.  One of them was a 35th minute pass to Kakuta that I remember distinctly because it was a bad through ball that went directly to one of the United defenders (I don't remember which, Smalling maybe?) who couldn't corral it and instead deflected it right to Kakuta.  The other two were to Salcido on the right, which he clearly likes doing.  Also, I'll give him one where he sent to Dempsey in the middle just outside the box.  However, I think all of us that watched the match (including Hughes, who subbed him out rightly early on in the 2nd half) know that his passes were very off.

I hope this helps understand Dembele's play.  He's clearly best when he is running more, using the entire pitch, and not when he's standing still.  His strength is clearly creating chances with his bursts of speed and his precise passes.  If you don't believe me, here's one final chalkboard for you, the Wolves match he scored 2 goals in:

See? It's very simple, more spread out. Those strengths have escaped him recently, and it's seriously hurt his play.  He's been pretty much invisible, limiting his touches to one cluster in the middle of the pitch rather than the all-over-the-place style you see here and against Blackburn.  I realize he's not really a goal scorer, but as a regular striker on any top-level team, he flat out needs more than 4 goals (2 in PL play).  It's just a numbers thing at this point concerning the goals.

Let me know what you think guys.  I'd really like to hear some feedback on whether you agree, disagree, think I'm crazy, have more info to add, or have an opinion on what Hughes should do with the 23-year old going forward.

I hope he can get his form back soon.  Maybe Mark Hughes can start Eidur Gudjohnson in his place for a match and sub him in later to get his head straight.  I'd like to give EG a chance anyways.  I loved seeing Kakuta in there, and although he didn't really perform well, it was nice to give him a shot.  Now Hughes has a window to let Eidur show him what he can do.  It's a win-win.  Either he stinks and you sub in a rested Dembele who kind of needs a match off, or Gudjohnson impresses and you have your new starting striker next to Zamora.  We'll see what happens.  Remember, Dembele's only Premier League match he's scored in came against Wolves.  Guess who we play next? Yup.

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/apr/11/premier-league-manchester-united-fulham?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Ffootball%2Frss+%28Football%29

Manchester United's Nani glories in collective efforts against Fulham

• Portuguese key to both goals at Old Trafford

• Bemusement at winger's absence from player-of-year list

Manchester United 2 Berbatov 12, Valencia 32 
Fulham 0 

Daniel Taylor at Old Trafford The Guardian, Monday 11 April 2011 Article history

Nani goes around Fulham's Mark Schwarzer before setting up Manchester United's second goal at Old Trafford. Photograph: Carl Recine/Action Images

Manchester United are burning with a sense of injustice and this time it has nothing to do with Wayne Rooney, the Football Association and the reasons why their first-choice striker and their manager were not in their usual positions for the latest step in what is beginning to feel like a procession.

Nani's expression was one of bemusement when it was put to him that he surely merited a place on the shortlist for the Professional Footballers' Association player-of-the-year. "I am disappointed not to be there. I think I have been doing well. Of course, everyone has an opinion, but I hope next time people will look more to me."

John O'Shea proclaimed himself to be "amazed", with some justification when you consider that the Portuguese has scored nine goals this season and set up another 18 with either the decisive pass or a blocked shot. Charlie Adam has seven assists, Scott Parker has three, while Gareth Bale and Samir Nasri have one each, and yet that quartet of midfielders all made it ahead of Nani. "I just don't understand it," O'Shea said.

Old Trafford, however, has always been a place where they treasure team awards ahead of the individual ones. A championship medal should more than compensate Nani and it seems a near-certainty now. The same goes for Dimitar Berbatov, whose name is also missing from the betting-shop chalkboards when it comes to counting the votes, despite being the leading scorer in England's top division.

Berbatov has accumulated 21 goals in 29 starts (six as a substitute) yet will almost certainly go back to the bench against Chelsea in the Champions League on Tuesday. Chris Smalling, outstanding at the weekend, will make way for Rio Ferdinand. Paul Scholes is expected to drop out for Michael Carrick. Even Nani cannot be guaranteed a place, despite being in the form of his life. Ferguson tends to play Park Ji-sung in the key Champions League ties while Antonio Valencia's return has been so impressive it can feel like a trick of the mind it is barely six months since his leg snapped like a broken cricket stump.

This is the way it is at United right now: no other club has such an understanding of how to make the most of their squad and an appreciation that the essential rule of such a system is that, when it is your turn to be left out, you roll up your sleeves and get on with it.

The mantra of their season is that this is not a classic United side and, yes, it is true they have been a little stodgy on their travels. Equally, however, questioning the ability of this side is becoming the default setting of the desperate. Ferguson's men have dropped only two points at home all season and are on course to finish unbeaten on their own ground for the first time in 11 years. They have scored twice or more in 14 of their 16 home matches. Most remarkable of all, it is now 53 weeks since an opposition player (Joe Cole for Chelsea) scored a first-half goal at Old Trafford in the league.

Saturday was also the first time Fulham have been beaten by more than one goal on their travels this season, and yet Ferguson was not satisfied. United's manager argued the meticulous standards he demanded had not been kept, and it was true that Fulham, with three shots in the opening 10 minutes, troubled the home side at times.

Even so, there was an air of inevitability in Old Trafford by the time Valencia nodded in the second goal shortly after the half-hour mark. Nani had created it by taking the ball around the goalkeeper, Mark Schwarzer, and trying to chip his shot past Richard Hughes only for the defender, on the goalline, to divert the ball towards Valencia.

Nani also set up Berbatov's goal, jinking past two defenders before nudging a pass into the Bulgarian to side-foot his shot beyond Schwarzer. In that moment, Nani's footwork and chest-out confidence was reminiscent of Cristiano Ronaldo in his pomp.

Afterwards, Nani was asked who he had voted for as player-of-the-year and, once more, a comparison could be made with the great man. Nani smiled: "I voted for myself."

White Noise

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/hughes-backs-fergusons-push-for-treble-success-2266101.html#

Hughes backs Ferguson's push for treble success

Manchester United 2 Fulham 0

By Phil Shaw at Old Trafford

Monday, 11 April 2011

Whether you call it the wow factor, flair or fantasy, Sir Alex Ferguson's current side arguably have a deficit in the quality Eric Cantona or Cristiano Ronaldo lent to previous vintages. Yet, even if there is a relative lack of style, Mark Hughes would not bet against his old manager guiding Manchester United to a repeat of their 1999 treble.

The Fulham manager looked on as the most exotic talent in Ferguson's squad, Nani, set up the goals by Dimitar Berbatov and Antonio Valencia which earned the leaders victory. Later, contemplating a five-day period in which his former club engage in cup combat with two of his other ex-employers, Chelsea and Manchester City, Hughes contended that United's know-how compensates for any shortage of swagger. It also makes them favourites, he suggested, not only for a 19th championship but also for the FA Cup, while a place in the last four of the Champions League also beckons.

At Wembley next Saturday, United face City in an FA Cup semi-final derby, when Wayne Rooney, their match-winner in west London, will complete a two-match domestic suspension. In the second leg of their European quarter-final, at Old Trafford tomorrow, United lead Chelsea 1-0.

"I thought United were excellent at Stamford Bridge," Hughes said. "They contained Chelsea, looked comfortable, were asking questions of them and got a great goal. They saw the game out without any real pressure. You sense a real determination to win every game between now and the end of the season. When United teams have that mindset it's difficult to overcome them."

Roberto Mancini, the City manager, has claimed he is "disappointed" that Rooney will be missing from the Mancunian collision next weekend. Hughes, his predecessor, is no longer bound by diplomacy. "Obviously it's a bonus [for City] that Rooney is not involved but you saw here that they have people of such quality that can come in and affect the outcome of any game, regardless of the opposition."

Nani, astonishingly absent from the nominations for the Professional Footballers' Association's Player of the Year, and Berbatov, the Premier League's top scorer, proved the latter point during a sparkling first-half period that produced both goals. Fulham started brightly, dipped badly and then dominated possession in the second half. However, it amounted to nothing because they were bereft of penetration.

Hughes had a theory about how to counter Ferguson's side, but as well as looking powder-puff up front, Fulham did not possess the tackling power to put it into practice. "I think the one thing when you go up against United is that you do get a foothold [on the game] and if you have something you can protect, you can make it more difficult for them," said the Welshman. "United are an attacking outfit and they will commit players and sometimes you can catch them going the other way, but it's a big ask for any team to do that."

City have faced United in a semi-final – of the Carling Cup – since Hughes gave way to Mancini at Eastlands. A last-gasp goal by Rooney took United through and subsequent derbies, resulting in two United wins and one draw, have prompted some to conclude City remain "scarred" by the Carling Cup experience. "Yes, possibly," Hughes said. "They're still a team that is forming, so they need to make the next step and they'll look to try to do that against United. But I wouldn't back against United these days."

Scorers: Manchester United Berbatov 12, Valencia 32.

Subs: Manchester United Owen (Valencia, 73), Fabio (Anderson, 77), Carrick (Nani, 87).

Fulham Gudjohnsen 7 (Dembele, 55), Gera 5 (Etuhu, 67), Greening (Murhpy, 82).

Man of the match Nani.

Match rating 5/10.

Possession Man United 54% Fulham 46%.

Attempts on target Man United 12 Fulham 5.

Referee M Jones (Cheshire).

Attendance 75,339.

White Noise

Hughes moans that past history plays into United's hands

Published 23:00 10/04/11

By David McDonnell

Mark Hughes bemoaned Fulham's tame surrender – an incredible 18th defeat from their last 19 trips to Manchester United.

"Our record at Old Trafford is poor to say the least," said Hughes.

"At times this season we have gone to places where the scars of previous visits have come back to haunt us. That was the case again."

The result dropped Fulham back into the bottom half of the table after a decent run, in which they picked up seven points from their previous four games.

Gael Kakuta, who made an impressive first Premier League start after joining on loan from Chelsea, feels a top-10 finish remains within Fulham's grasp.

"Our ambitions of finishing in the top-10 are still on track although we have moved down a place in the league," said the French youth ­international.

"We have six games left, so there are plenty of points up for grabs to make sure that happens," said Kakuta. "It is my hope to be involved in more games as the season draws to an end.

"I am enjoying my time at Fulham, where I feel I have improved further as a player, and would love to play my part in what will hopefully be a strong finish to the season."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Mark-Hughes-moans-that-Fulham-s-past-record-against-Manchester-United-haunts-them-article722049.html#ixzz1JC496dfj

White Noise

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/8965770.Fulham_lead_chase_for_defender_Burn/

Fulham lead chase for defender Burn

Dan Burn's move to the Premier League edged closer at the weekend when the highly-rated defender underwent a medical at Fulham, who have made an offer for the teenager.

Everton have also made a move for Burn, who was excused from Saturday's game with Bath City so that he could travel to London.

Fulham want to ensure there will be no complications should the deal go ahead, but they face competition for the 18-year-old as several top-flight clubs are monitoring the situation.

Newcastle United, Chelsea and Manchester City are understood to have made contact with Quakers about the Northumberland-born centre-back, while Stoke City have monitored his progress.

Newcastle aborted plans to watch Burn in action on Saturday when they discovered that he would miss the match.

Every Darlington game of late has been attended by a posse of scouts but there were very few at the Arena on Saturday, aside from a disappointed representative of Norwich City.

Middlesbrough manager Tony Mowbray is another to rate Burn, who has only made 19 first-team appearances, but finances are tight at the Riverside so a bid will not be forthcoming.

Although a figure has not been publicly disclosed, Quakers hope to set a Conference record, which currently stands at £260,000.

That was set when striker George Boyd signed for Peterborough United from Stevenage in 2007.

Aside from receiving a substantial amount, Darlington also want to include a number of clauses, based on appearances plus a sell-on clause, that would ratchet up the total sum.

Speaking after Saturday's 3-1 win, Quakers manager Mark Cooper said: "There are numerous clubs interested in Dan Burn but as far as I'm aware nothing has been signed.

"The transfer window is closed so nobody can sign for anybody until the end of the season.

"There's a lot of interest in him. He's been down to Fulham, who are very keen on him, and there are other clubs that are also very keen on him.

"There are loads of clubs after him, everybody wants him, and rightly so.

"Whoever gets him will do so at the end of the season.

"For me it's important that he goes to the right club, a club that will look after him and fulfil his potential. It's not a piece of meat that we're selling."

Although Burn cannot play for another club until next season, there is a chance Quakers could agree to sell him before the completion of the campaign.

However, they would agree not to include him in any further matches, aside from the FA Trophy final, as such a measure would reduce the risk of Burn sustaining an injury.

White Noise

Van Gaal back on Prem radar after Bayern sacking

Published 11:27 10/04/11

By Mirror Football

Veteran coach Louis van Gaal has been fired by Bayern Munich - and could be heading for the Premier League.

Aston Villa and Fulham are among the contenders for the former Barcelona and Ajax boss, who has also been linked to Manchester City and Liverpool.

Van Gaal had been due to leave Bayern in summer, with Bayer Leverkusen coach Jupp Heynckes already named as his replacement.

But Munich bosses pulled the trigger after Saturday's 1-1 draw in Nuremburg left the club fourth in the table and in danger of missing a Champions League place.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Luis-van-Gaal-linked-with-Aston-Villa-Fulham-Liverpool-and-Manchester-City-after-Bayern-Munich-sacking-article721953.html#ixzz1J9dR4lSk

White Noise

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6863212/Hughes-worried-by-Fulham-fraillty

Hughes worried by Fulham fraillty

Sunday 10th April 2011 9:33

Mark Hughes felt Fulham looked like a team scarred by previous disasters at Old Trafford as they lost 2-0 against Manchester United.

Despite making a bright start, the Cottagers were powerless to respond once United had seized the initiative through first-half strikes from Dimitar Berbatov and Antonio Valencia.

The 2-0 scoreline condemned them to an incredible 18th defeat from their last 19 trips to face the Red Devils.

They have not scored a goal since they suffered a 5-1 mauling almost five years ago, and even that was thanks to Rio Ferdinand turning the ball into his own net.

And it appears psychological problems linger.

"Our record at Old Trafford is poor to say the least," said Hughes.

"At times this season we have gone to places where the scars of previous visits have come back to haunt us. That was the case again."

The result dropped Fulham back into the bottom half of the table, still not quite safe from relegation even though a single victory should be enough for them to survive.

After a decent run, in which his side have picked up seven points from their previous four games, Hughes denied the allegation that his players had downed tools.

And Gael Kakuta, who made a pleasing first Premier League start after joining the Londoners on loan from Chelsea, feels a top-10 finish remains within Fulham's grasp.

"We moved down a place in the league, but our ambitions of finishing in the top 10 are still on track," he said.

"We have six games left, so there are plenty of points up for grabs to make sure that happens," Kakuta told the club's website.

"It is my hope to be involved in more games as the season draws to an end.

"I am enjoying my time at Fulham, where I feel I have improved further as a player, and would love to play my part in what will hopefully be a strong finish to the season."

White Noise

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_2_7158_manchester-united-underscores-value-of-home-form-in-premier-league-title-chase.html

Manchester United underscores value of home form in Premier League title chase

By Matt Domm

Sunday 10 April 2011

As Manchester United produced an efficient victory in what might have been a tricky encounter against Fulham, they continued to look increasingly likely Premier League winners this season. While not the most impressive performance of the season, the Red Devils never looked like dropping points and performed just as potential league winners need to against the weaker teams in the division.

Yesterday's win against former player Mark Hughes's Fulham was United's 15th home victory out of a possible 16 for the 2010-11 league season, meaning Alex Ferguson's men have dropped a mere two points so far at Old Trafford. The next best is Chelsea who dropped 10 at Stamford Bridge. For many months this season there was genuine uncertainty as to where the Premier League title was heading, but while closest rivals Arsenal and Chelsea have suffered drops in form both home and away, United has bounced back from any stutter on the road with resounding success at Old Trafford. For quite some time they have been the only undefeated side at home.

The next closest in the defeats tally is Tottenham Hostpur, but they have won just eight of the 15 home ties, having scored a little over half of United's 42 home goals. Of course, Spurs are not one of United's challengers for the league title, but the three who are - or have been - Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester City, have a minimum of two home defeats apiece (Arsenal has three) and are all at least four home victories shy of the Red Devils' 15. Two or three defeats from 15 or 16 games may not seem a lot, but when there is a side with none from 16 it leaves reliance on away form to catch them, making the task that much more difficult.

The team that went on to be crowned champions in the three seasons prior to this one have ended with no more than one defeat in front of their own fans. Last year Chelsea won 16 of 18, while United in 2008-09 was undefeated. Indeed, the only instance in the last eight years of a team winning the Premier League with more than one defeat was United in 2006-07 when they lost just twice. However, they made up for it with an incredible 13 wins from 18 away games, making that season the exception to the rule. It is home form that wins the Premier League, and it is home form that is seeing Sir Alex Ferguson's men pull away from the teams just below them.

Manchester United's away record this year is far from impressive, much like the majority of the league hopefuls, but it is their professionalism and clinical edge in the expected home wins such as yesterday that has seen them emerge as the odds-on favourites to claim back the Premier League title from Chelsea. It is now theirs to lose, but 46 points from 48 available at home suggests they are not in the mood for any more slip-ups.

White Noise

PIES FOR CHANTS

Chelsea fans seemed to have a lock on our chant of the week competition when they serenaded Manchester United supporters in London on Wednesday night with "you won't be at the home leg". But the Red Devils snatched it at Craven Cottage on Saturday, when after a brilliant piece of Nani skill, they baited Fulham with: "There's only one Michael Jackson". Send me the funniest chant you've heard at football this week and you could win a tray of Pukka Pies. Email [email protected] together with your name, address and choice of potato & meat, chicken balti, chicken & mushroom, cheese & onion, steak & kidney or all-steak flavours.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/3pm/Birmingham-City-WAG-Becky-Doyle-complains-about-being-given-Chinese-food-in-Chjina-Steve-Anglesey-s-3PM-column-article722052.html#ixzz1JCvSpmPK

White Noise

Fair Play to Fulham as they look set to land unexpected Europa League place

By Christopher Davies

Last updated at 10:34 AM on 11th April 2011

Fulham have been boosted by news that they could land an unexpected place in next season's Europa League.

As it stands, the Cottagers are second in the Fair Play table behind west London rivals Chelsea, who seem set to qualify for the Champions League.

The highest placed team in the Fair Play table who do not qualify for Europe by their league position or winning a domestic cup are nominated by the FA to UEFA.

Heading for Europe: Fulham could land a place in next season's Europa League

The latest figures published by UEFA showed England second behind Norway in their Respect Fair Play ratings, thereby gaining an extra place in the 2011/12 Europa League.

Fulham reached the final of the Europa League in 2009/10, losing to Atletico Madrid after finishing seventh in the Barclays Premier League the previous season.

The Fair Play table is based on yellow and red cards, positive play, respect towards opponents, respect towards the referee and the behaviour of officials. The Premier League's current 'worst behaved' teams are Sunderland and Newcastle.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1375658/Fulhams-Fair-Play-record-land-unexpected-Europa-League-place.html#ixzz1JCycCgXa