watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

AJ To West Brom For £3 Mill

Started by White Noise, April 10, 2011, 12:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImperialWhite

I'd like to see who we could buy for £3mill who would be as good as AJ.

The Equalizer

Quote from: White Noise on April 12, 2011, 10:37:19 AM
I really like AJ as a player and would be sorry to lose him.

He is only just 30 and still has a good turn of speed - I think we will get our money's worth out of him in good time. He works hard and causes problems for defences and there are not many players like him available to clubs like Fulham. He brings a different dimension to our play and I get the sense that Zamora likes playing with him.

He ticks all the boxes in terms of what I want from a Fulham player and I think he has come back well from his difficult injury spell.

I will never have a go at his workrate during games. The fella runs his socks off. But we need strikers who score goals, not another winger.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

White Noise

Quote from: The Equalizer on April 12, 2011, 11:00:56 AM
Quote from: White Noise on April 12, 2011, 10:37:19 AM
I really like AJ as a player and would be sorry to lose him.

He is only just 30 and still has a good turn of speed - I think we will get our money's worth out of him in good time. He works hard and causes problems for defences and there are not many players like him available to clubs like Fulham. He brings a different dimension to our play and I get the sense that Zamora likes playing with him.

He ticks all the boxes in terms of what I want from a Fulham player and I think he has come back well from his difficult injury spell.

I will never have a go at his workrate during games. The fella runs his socks off. But we need strikers who score goals, not another winger.

Fair enough. But until someone better comes to Fulham I think we could do a lot worse.

King_Crud

Quote from: RidgeRider on April 11, 2011, 05:06:17 PM
Quote from: King_Crud on April 11, 2011, 01:20:30 PM
We're a bit overstaffed in the striking department, I wouldn't be too sad to see AJ go for £3m, even though i like the guy

Only thing is who do we have really? Zamora of course is not replaceable, we have Guddy on loan and no guarentees he would be back for another season. Dembele is not a proper striker, and has proven it. We have to assume EJ and Kamara are gone in the summer. So that leaves us with BZ and AJ, that's it.

Oh we could throw in Dempsey but very few seem to think he is a proper striker though his goal tally might suggest otherwise.

I guess as long as BZ is healthy, we could always play a Moussa or Clint off of him but for next season we don't have any other options except AJ, unless we keep Guddy or add another body.

yeah I was going on the idea of keeping Guddy, and using Clint and Moussa off BZ

Mr Fulham

Quote from: ImperialWhite on April 12, 2011, 10:42:45 AM

+1

richie17

Quote from: Mr Fulham on April 12, 2011, 01:43:09 PM

+1

I reckon you could get about 20 lower league forwards to run around a lot and score three times a season.

I don't know why I'm so negative about Johnson - I'm usually the first to defend fulham players - but I just think he's a really, really ordinary player, and he's lucky he's in England where fans will always appreciate someone running around lots regardless of what they actually contribute.  He's not quick - if he was he'd occasionally outrun a defender to one of these long balls, and he never does, he has no presence, so our direct game is wasted when he's here, he doesn't link well with Zamora, whose emergence happened when AJ was out, etc, etc.  It's probably thoroughly irrational on my part, but there we are.

He was good when he was lightning quick and won lots of penalties.  now he's not lightning quick and there's not much to fall back on.   I'd take £500k to get the salary off the books.

finnster01

+1
We could always extend his brother, Eddie Johnson contract.  :011:

Has he scored yet for Preston? I don't think so and he must have started well over 10 games for them by now.

But I guess it takes time to adjust to the Championship...  :005:

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Dixie

Quote from: MJG on April 11, 2011, 05:14:16 PM
I would like one of the younger strikers promoted at least to the matchday squad/subs bench.

Who are the younger strikers?
Do we have anyone who looks like they could make the grad?
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

ImperialWhite

Quote from: richie17 on April 12, 2011, 01:59:45 PM

+1

I reckon you could get about 20 lower league forwards to run around a lot and score three times a season.

I don't know why I'm so negative about Johnson - I'm usually the first to defend fulham players - but I just think he's a really, really ordinary player, and he's lucky he's in England where fans will always appreciate someone running around lots regardless of what they actually contribute.  He's not quick - if he was he'd occasionally outrun a defender to one of these long balls, and he never does, he has no presence, so our direct game is wasted when he's here, he doesn't link well with Zamora, whose emergence happened when AJ was out, etc, etc.  It's probably thoroughly irrational on my part, but there we are.

He was good when he was lightning quick and won lots of penalties.  now he's not lightning quick and there's not much to fall back on.   I'd take £500k to get the salary off the books.

1) He doesn't just run around a lot - in our "Seventh Heaven" season he was our top scorer.

2) Run around and score 3 times? Change "run around" to "hold up the ball" and you could be describing the Zamora from a few seasons ago. There are more ways to contribute than by scoring as a forward (especially if you have a few midfielders around you who can score occasionally).

This season I've seen AJ pull defenders out of position, get on to the end of balls and win possession in the final third.

If it wasn't for the bloody £10mill price tag I'm sure AJ would a big favourite (he didn't get to choose his fee). I'm also sure that Dembélé, were he a £10mill player, would be no where near as popular as he is (only 2 league goals and dribbles a lot, sell him for a few quid and get him off the books :hook:).

richie17

I see what you're saying but don't agree.  To me it was really obvious that Zamora was making a huge contribution to the team even when he wasn't scoring.  Similarly, Dembele now, is a fantastic acquisition who regularly commits defenders, pulls them out of position and often removes them from the game altogether by gliding past them. I think he's an extraordinary talent. 

I just don't see it with Johnson.  I even defended him while he was out injured, as I liked his predatory instincts (something nobody else really brought to the team), but this year I've felt really unimpressed.  It might just be that our game doesn't suit him, but that doesn't make him any more useful.

We all have our bug bears and mine, for now, is AJ.

MJG

Quote from: Dixie on April 12, 2011, 02:28:34 PM
Quote from: MJG on April 11, 2011, 05:14:16 PM
I would like one of the younger strikers promoted at least to the matchday squad/subs bench.

Who are the younger strikers?
Do we have anyone who looks like they could make the grad?
I don't know because we never get a look.