watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (12.04.11)

Started by White Noise, April 12, 2011, 06:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Dan's the man for Fulham as Cottagers complete deal for Darlington youngster Burn

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 12:50 AM on 12th April 2011

Fulham have signed 18-year-old defender Dan Burn from Darlington, which should secure the Blue Square Bet Premier club's future.

Burn had been courted by Everton, after boss David Moyes saw him play Newport County last week.

Deal: Fulham manager Hughes has signed Darlington defender Burn

He has only played 10 games for Darlington, but the FA Trophy finalists hope to clinch a deal worth £2million over Burn's career.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1375855/Fulham-sign-Darlinton-defender-Dan-Burn.html#ixzz1JHmZBbSg

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/04/11/2436693/aaron-hughes-fulham-must-forget-manchester-united-defeat-end-the-

Aaron Hughes: Fulham must forget Manchester United defeat & 'end the season in a strong position'

Irishman believes at least two more victories will be required for Premier League safety as long as they don't spend too long pondering Saturday's defeat to Manchester United

By Mark Fordham

11 Apr 2011 23:45:00

Fulham defender Aaron Hughes is hoping his team can put Saturday's 2-0 defeat to Manchester United behind them and have a 'big finish' to the end of the Premier League season.

Before the defeat, the Cottagers had been in good form and Hughes believes his team should not be too disheartened at their loss to the Premier League leaders.

"Old Trafford is a difficult place to get anything from, never mind when you go behind by two goals," he told the club's official website.

"We are obviously very frustrated by how the game went and to be fair to United they did enough didn't they?

"They kept the ball well and made the most of their advantage, which is what you expect. It was disappointing to concede so early because we had made a decent start. The second goal was very unfortunate and perhaps we could have done a bit more.

"The second-half was better," he added, "and had we managed to pull one back from a few of the chances that we had, maybe things could have been a bit different. But United showed why they are leading the way this season."

With games to come against some of their relegation rivals in the last six games, Hughes is confident that a couple of victories will be enough for them to stay in the Premier League.

He said: "We're two points away from the 40-point marker, which is traditionally the cut off point for league safety."

"We'll have to see if that is the marker again this season, what with the league being so tight. But there's no mistake that those are big games for us and hopefully we can put the defeat at Old Trafford behind us and end the season in a strong position.

"Certainly, if we can come away from those three games with a couple of wins then we'll be in a good place for the final run-in. It will be a challenge, but one we'll be ready to meet."

White Noise

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/905887/roy-hodgson-has-no-regrets-over-liverpool-job?cc=5739

Hodgson has no regrets

April 11, 2011

By ESPNsoccernet staff

Roy Hodgson says he has no regrets about leaving Fulham for Liverpool despite enduring a dismal spell at Anfield.

Hodgson was named PFA Manager of the Year as he led Fulham to the Europa League final last season, but his reputation suffered as Liverpool struggled in and around the relegation zone after he replaced Rafael Benitez. He has since taken charge of West Brom and enjoyed a hugely successful start, taking the club into the top half and almost certain survival.

Nonetheless, ahead of his return to Craven Cottage manage a Fulham legends team for a one-off Football 40 charity event on May 29, he insists he has no regrets about taking on the Liverpool job.

"I have terrific memories working for Fulham, so many good, so many positive memories," Hodgson said. "I hope a few of the Fulham fans who come to see the legends team have similar memories of myself.

"It is a fair question to ask whether I regret leaving Fulham. I never regret anything in life, and I knew that if I didn't take the Liverpool job it might never come again and I might live to regret that.

"I was pleased to have been made an offer to manage Liverpool football club, and I would not regret that. It is such a big club, such an enormous club, but I would say it is fair to say that I would not have left a club I loved to work for like Fulham unless it had been for a club like Liverpool.

"So, under those circumstances, no, I don't regret going to Liverpool."

He added: "When Bobby Campbell told me about Football 40 and the charitable aspect involved, I was delighted to accept and it is fortuitous that I will be around at that time as I would normally be off on holiday, but I will be at the Champions League Final at Wembley for UEFA, so it was a nice invite to accept the day after to return to the Cottage.

"It's nice to be back, yet it wasn't that long ago that I was there, and I feel honoured to be considered a legend of the club, so I accepted it with modesty."

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6866395,00.html

Stockdale weighing up options

Cottagers keeper admits Schwarzer form could force him out

Last Updated: April 11, 2011 6:20pm

Fulham goalkeeper David Stockdale admits Mark Schwarzer's form could eventually force him to reassess his future at Craven Cottage.

Stockdale: Could reassess future

The 25-year-old has taken a backseat to No.1 shot-stopper Schwarzer once again this season, starting just 10 games for the Cottagers.

And Stockdale, who has been on the fringes of the England squad, says he may look elsewhere for regular football if the 38-year-old Australian continues to keep him out.

"Hope I can challenge for No 1 spot next year," Stockdale wrote on his Twitter account.

"If not I will have to evaluate my future as MS (Schwarzer) is looking in good shape."

Hunger

Despite his hunger for regular first-team football, Stockdale has made it clear he has no immediate plans to leave the club.

The keeper, who has two years remaining on his current deal, added: "If people think I don't want to play for Fulham that's wrong! I WANT to play at Fulham for a long time! PLAY being the word!

"It's not a threat not anything just my thoughts and I have 2 years on my contract."

Stockdale, who arrived at Fulham from Darlington in 2008, has kept five clean sheets from his 10 starts this term.

The keeper has spent time on loan at Rotherham, Leicester and Plymouth Argyle during his time with the Cottagers.

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/04/vanishing_act.php

Vanishing Act

Posted by Phil Mison 20 hours, 17 minutes ago

Legendary American illusionist David Copperfield, alerted by Mohammed al-Fayed's 'close relationship' with the late Michael Jackson, seeks Fulham's help to revitalise his career

News agencies are today reporting an investigation by the authorities into a pattern of unusual events surrounding Fulham FC's fixture with the iconic Manchester United football club at the weekend. The match took place in the English Premier League at the north western city of Manchester in bright sunshine. More than 75,000 people paid to watch the spectacle, alongside a massive live global TV audience, where the side from London to all intents and purposes 'disappeared' for a period of 90 minutes.

Speaking from his luxury penthouse overlooking the Las Vegas strip, Copperfield says he was alerted to the story by his manager, and immediately put in a call to the Fulham chairman. Best known for his illusions, including his signature trick of seeming to make the Statue of Liberty disappear from view, Copperfield is said to be searching for another 'grand illusion' to revive a flagging career. "This is a stand out moment for magic, he said, I'm intrigued to know how it was done. All credit to this team for pulling it off"

One quarter where Copperfield will get no help is the Manchester constabulary. Alerted to 'peculiarities' surrounding the event, a local police chief said, "A great deal of money changed hands on the day, admission prices for this advertised spectacle were sky high, people had travelled from afar, and many now feel cheated. We have been dealing with a steady stream of complaints since Saturday." A file is being prepared for the crown prosecution service, but police investigating the case are having difficulty finding witnesses.

"It is the norm with matches at this venue (Old Trafford, Salford) that 99.2% of those attending come from outside the district of Manchester. It is extremely rare to find natives from the City itself attending matches there in any great numbers. As a consequence, by the time we were able to mobilise enough forces from those on sick leave or watching the Grand National, too many had flown the coop and scattered to all parts of the UK," a police aide said.

Manchester police do however have one key witness who may be crucial to unravelling the mystery. Picked up in a sweep outside the stadium at 6.30 pm Saturday night, police apprehended the Fulham club captain, a Mr. Danny Murphy. "Due to a lack of mobility our men had no trouble in nabbing him and 'persuading' Mr. Murphy into the back of a van. He was in vain pursuit of the team bus as it disappeared down the road towards London, and has been bailed pending further investigation."

So far the West London club are remaining tight-lipped, although a club spokesman admitted they were flattered by interest from Mr. Copperfield. It seems this is not the first time the Fulham side has pulled off this stunt away from home. Supporters say this disappearing act has been performed throughout the country, but has only increased in frequency in the past couple of seasons. "It's unfortunate, a team supporter said, we've got used to seeing it now, I guess it was only the high profile nature of Saturday's game that has warranted so much attention. Mind you, you never know when they are going to pull it off, so it can still take you by surprise"

Media sources are suggesting the event may be linked to recent controversy surrounding the unveiling of a statue of Michael Jackson at the club's Thames-side home. "Look, people are just out to bash us at the moment. Some people don't like the statue, but where's the problem with that? Don't look at it if you don't like it. It's pretty tacky I must admit, but I go to Fulham to watch the football," said long-time fan Anne Droid of Willesden.

Whatever the truth behind Fulham's now famous disappearing act, this blog will diligently seek to get to the bottom of it. Meanwhile, you can book tickets for the new David Copperfield extravaganza at...zzzzzzz

White Noise

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/6500/8/barcelona-striker-cools-talk-premier-league-switch

Barcelona striker cools talk of Premier League switch

By talkSPORT

Monday, April 11

West Ham and Fulham target Jonathan Soriano has admitted that a move to the Premier League is not his first choice.

talkSPORT last week revealed that the two London clubs are closely monitoring the prolific Barcelona B striker and are considering summer bids.

Reports in Spain had suggested that Soriano had given up hope of moving into Pep Guardiola's Barcelona first team and was ready to leave the club.

But, after scoring 21 goals in just 26 starts for the B team in the Second Division, the 25-year-old is now hopeful of featuring for Barca in La Liga next season, putting a move to the Premier League in doubt.

"I have received offers from abroad but I am leaving those to my representatives," he told Catalan newspaper Sport. "For now I am just focusing on playing.

"Clearly stepping up to the first team is difficult because of my age and I want to finish the season for Barca before deciding whether to stay or go.

"Just because it is an ambitious challenge for me, I have not closed the door on it. I have not lost the hope of making the first team and I'm still fighting for it. "

White Noise

Former Managers Return for Legends Cup

Monday 11th April 2011

Former Fulham managers Chris Coleman and Roy Hodgson are back at Craven Cottage for The London Legends Cup| on Sunday 29th May.

Hodgson will be the Manager of the Football40 Fulham Legends and Chris Coleman will return as Captain.

Hodgson managed Fulham to the 2010 Europa League Final last season, while Cookie was an important member of the Fulham team, captaining the side to the Premier League.

Speaking ahead of the event, Hodgson says he will be "honoured" to be returning to Craven Cottage as manager of the Fulham Legends next month and talked about his deep affection for the club he quit for Liverpool.

"I have terrific memories working for Fulham, so many good, so many positive memories," Hodgson said. "I hope a few of the Fulham fans who come to see the legends team have similar memories of myself.

"It is a fair question to ask whether I regret leaving Fulham. I never regret anything in life, and I knew that if I didn't take the Liverpool job it might never come again and I might live to regret that.

"I was pleased to have been made an offer to manage Liverpool football club, and I would not regret that, it is such a big club, such an enormous club.

"But I would say it is fair to say that I would not have left a club I loved to work for like Fulham unless it had been for a club like Liverpool. So, under those circumstances, no, I don't regret going to Liverpool."

Hodgson, now manager at West Brom, naturally hopes that when he does return to the Cottage for the Football40 London Legends Cup| that he will gain a good reception as he retains an affinity with the supporters.

Hodgson's affection for Fulham ensured that he immediately took up the invitation to be manager of the Legends against Chelsea, with a potential Final against the winners of Arsenal and Spurs.

He commented: "When you think of Fulham legends, you think of George Cohen, the late Johnny Haynes and Tosh Chamberlain, so I never thought of myself as a legend after spending just three years at Fulham.

"When Bobby Campbell told me about Football40 and the charitable aspect involved, I was delighted to accept and it is fortuitous that I will be around at that time as I would normally be off on holiday, but I will be at the Champions League Final at Wembley for UEFA, so it was a nice invite to accept the day after to return to the Cottage.

"It's nice to be back, yet it wasn't that long ago that I was there, and I feel honoured to be considered a legend of the club, so I accepted it with modesty."

Hodgson retains the affection of the Fulham faithful following the success attained during his final season as Manager, that culminated in him being named the PFA Manager of the Year, voted for by his peers.

Fulham will be taking on Chelsea's Legends at 3pm, while the North London legends of Spurs and Arsenal will play in the second semi-final tie. The winners from each semi-final will go on to play in The London Legends Cup Final on the very same afternoon.

The three matches will each last for 40 minutes including a short half-time under the revolutionary Football40 rules which also include rolling substitutions and a sin bin rather than yellow or red cards.

Ticket prices are kept to the lowest for any event of this kind and quality. One ticket gives you the chance to see your heroes again in three 40-minute matches. Help A London Child and the Fulham FC Foundation will also benefit from the special charity auction.

Richard Berenson, Chief Executive of Football Nights, said: "We are very excited to be launching Football40, which is a brand-new format of competitive eleven-a-side football aimed at the legends market. It is football's answer to Twenty20 cricket and creates the opportunity for a single four-team tournament at a single event."

Buy tickets for The London Legends Cup|

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/Football40Update.aspx#ixzz1JHqGunUw

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/04/11/hangeland-and-hughes-admiration/

Hangeland and Hughes: admiration

Filed under: General — rich @ 2:22 pm

This lunchtime I went to the British Museum to buy a keyring. My current keyring is too big and it's annoying me, so I wanted another way to keep my keys together. Where to get one though? Then it hit me: the British Museum has loads, and once there I quickly decided upon a small turquoise Aztec serpent* (which sounds like something you might get as a tattoo, too).

The Museum is currently rammed with tourists, students and the elderly at the moment, which leads to quite a hubbub. One glamourous Italian was wearing an "I love London" vest thing.  From the side you could only see the "ndon" part, and my brain, bless it, interpreted this as "I love Swindon", which would have been fantastic.  But no, she did not love Swindon (why would she? Probably never even been there. Her dad (grandad?) may have at least heard of Swindon: Swindon Town won the Anglo-Italian cup in the 70s, beating (a possible weakened) Juventus 4-0 and Napoli 3-0 in so doing).

We went on a school trip to the British Museum when I was younger. The Bedford to King's Cross train didn't take long at all, and I remember gasping as our teacher led us on foot through the winding roads from the station to the museum.  How did he know how to do that?  Years later, new to London, I tried to make the trip in reverse.  Everyone I asked for directions seemed stumped.  Really it couldn't have been easier, but if you don't know, you don't know, do you?  Now I often walk those same streets. Nice how these things work.

This trip would have been the early 90s I think, and around this time county cricket was on tv a lot.  You'd get home from school and see the end of a NatWest trophy game from Hove or Edgbaston or somewhere. Tony Lewis (think Frank Sidebottom for a good visual proxy), Tom Graveney (think Bob Paisley) or Jack Bannister (think Jim Bowen, although I don't know if I've seen Jack Bannister, ever) would be commentating.  Funny how these things get burned into your mind.

This morning Martin and I were remembering opening partnerships from around that time. We got quite a lot: Moxon and Metcalfe at Yorkshire, Fordham and Larkin at Northants, Prichard and Stephenson at Essex (Gooch in first wicket down?), Athey and Benson at... ah, but is it?  Benson was at Kent, wasn't he?  Athey Gloucestershire.  What am I thinking here?  Too late for Tavare?  And wasn't he Kent anyway?  Why should Kent and Gloucestershire be so confusing?  Haynes and Carr at Middlesex, Bowler and Barnett at Derbyshire, Hugh Morris at Glamorgan.  Who went in with him? Terry and Chris Smith at Hants, I can't remember Warwickshire until the Roger Twose era, and only that because of his name.  Twose. Lancashire trouble me.  Atherton might have just been arriving then, but was he opening, and if so, who with? Somerset had Graham Rose, always good for a one day bash. But again his partner escapes me. Leicestershire?  Nope. Surrey had Wilf Slack and probably Darren Bicknell. Notts were Tim Robinson and Chris Broad I think. Kent?  Nothing. Sussex I have David Smith, Mart added Hall and Lenham. I think there's a missing link to be found though. Worcestershire would have been Tim Curtis +1.

So it's by no means total recall, and there's a bit of fudging on times I suspect, but as we were saying this morning, isn't it interesting how the opening partnerships stay in your mind?  No?  Well I think it is. Why have so many stayed with me?

I think because they define their team. Perhaps because every time you read a scorecard, you read their names first (I loved the Australian approach of changing 1 and 2 each innings, incidentally). Openers always get to bat and their performance can, to a great extent, dictate how things might go.  Despite this, your "best" batsmen usually go in at 3 or 4.

When people look back at this Fulham side, what will they see?  To me, after much thought, it's Murphy.  He might not be the best player (although I would argue that he is), but if you want this side summed up, he's it.  In my mind he's usually pointing or shouting, or scuttling around to make an important tackle, or clipping the ball onto the left wing as if he's just thrown a ball for his dog to fetch.

But as much as that's what I think of, when I'm telling Stanley about the team as it was now, I think I'll have to start with the Hangeland – Hughes – Schwarzer trio. Because they're really, really good. We saw against United how failing to shut down runners before they reach the back four can be dangerous, but for the most part these players have been fantastic.  It's a shame that we're not going to see them for a really prolonged period of time, maybe a season or two more at the most, at which point you'd assume that Stockdale (or Manninger) will take the gloves.  Hangeland and Hughes?  That one could run and run, couldn't it?  Fulham's great partnership; one without the other just wouldn't be the same.

White Noise

http://www.bluesqfootball.com/story/0,20970,13040_6865530,00.html

Burn undergoes Fulham medical

Darlington boss Mark Cooper has revealed that promising, young defender Dan Burn has undergone a medical at Premier League outfit Fulham.

The news broke last week that Everton boss David Moyes made a personal check on Burn but it seems he faces a battle to secure the youngster's signature.

Newcastle United, Chelsea and Manchester City have reportedly made enquiries about Burn, while Middlesbrough boss Tony Mowbray is also said to be interested.

Quakers boss Mark Cooper told the Northern Echo: "The transfer window is closed so nobody can sign for anybody until the end of the season.

"There's a lot of interest in him. He's been down to Fulham, who are very keen on him, and there are other clubs that are also very keen on him.

"There are loads of clubs after him, everybody wants him, and rightly so.

"Whoever gets him will do so at the end of the season.

"For me it's important that he goes to the right club, a club that will look after him and fulfil his potential. It's not a piece of meat that we're selling."

White Noise

Extra Time

Monday 11th April 2011

On Tuesday 10 May, Craven Cottage will host a celebration of Extra Time, an innovative new programme which has been developed by the Football Foundation, Sport Relief, Age UK, the Premier League and Football League and is jointly funded by Football Foundation and Sport Relief.

Extra Time is a national initiative delivered through 24 football club community schemes and has been shortlisted for 'The Community Programme Award' at the 2011Sport Industry Awards.

This scheme uses the 'power of football' to engage with primarily the over 60s; to develop and deliver physical and social activity programmes that tackle physical inactivity and social isolation.

The programme aims to encourage participants to improve their health and emotional wellbeing to help address some serious health problems, such as cardiovascular disease, stroke, falls prevention, obesity, and depression. The project also focuses on lifestyle changes that promote health and wellbeing, helping older people to stay healthy and well and empowering them to live independent lives.

Although delivery is through football, the activities are not all based around football!! Activities include walking, dancing, New Age Kurling, Tai Chi, short tennis, football, badminton to name a few. The choice of activities are user led, thus ensuring that the programme delivers activities that people want. For more information please visit the Football Foundation website|. 

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/ExtraTime.aspx#ixzz1JHrdX1yb

White Noise

Hughes Aims for Big Finish

Monday 11th April 2011

Aaron Hughes insists that the Whites need to move on from Saturday's disappointing defeat at Old Trafford and finish the season as strong as possible.

Manchester United were worthy winners with Dimitar Berbatov and Antonio Valencia on target in a 2-0 win.

"Old Trafford is a difficult place to get anything from, never mind when you go behind by two goals," explained Aaron to fulhamfc.com. "We are obviously very frustrated by how the game went and to be fair to United they did enough didn't they?

"They kept the ball well and made the most of their advantage, which is what you expect. It was disappointing to concede so early because we had made a decent start. The second goal was very unfortunate and perhaps we could have done a bit more.

"The second-half was better, and had we managed to pull one back from a few of the chances that we had, maybe things could have been a bit different. But United showed why they are leading the way this season."

Manchester United maintained their leading margin at the top of the Barclays Premier League table as a result; impressive too was the performance of former Fulham defender Chris Smalling who did well against the threat of Bobby Zamora and Mousa Dembélé.

"We all knew how good Chris was, and he's done very well since moving to United last summer," he added. "He came to Fulham relatively inexperienced, having come in from playing non-league football, and three years later he's potentially on the verge of winning the title.

"A lot of credit should be given, because from day one he's worked extremely hard. It's good to see him doing well, although on Saturday that came at our expense. He's come a long way and he's only going to get better and better."

With six games of the 2010/11 season remaining, Hughes expects to see his team bounce back with matches against Wolves, Bolton and Sunderland offering an interesting end to the month.

"With no game this weekend, we have plenty of time to go away and prepare for what is an important run of fixtures," said Aaron. "We're two points away from the 40-point marker, which is traditionally the cut off point for league safety.

"We'll have to see if that is the marker again this season, what with the league being so tight. But there's no mistake that those are big games for us and hopefully we can put the defeat at Old Trafford behind us and end the season in a strong position.

"Certainly, if we can come away from those three games with a couple of wins then we'll be in a good place for the final run-in. It will be a challenge, but one we'll be ready to meet."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/AaronHughesUnitedReaction.aspx#ixzz1JHs2i9W3

White Noise

Half price kit sale!

Monday 11th April 2011

Half Price on All Fulham Replica Kits

The Half Price Kit Sale is still on with 50% off all replica kits for a limited time. The half price sale includes the full range of home, away and third shirts but it won't be around long so take advantage before the sale ends.

Fans can now purchase the one of a kind third shirt|. A unique shirt with gold logos, embellishments and stitching on the classic green fabric. It was £39.99 and is now at half price, so don't miss out on this bargain!

The Away Goalkeeper socks| for the 2010/11 season are in yellow with the Robe Di Kappa silhouette positioned on the mid shin and FFC to the back and at just £4.99 you can't go wrong!

For all the Fulham ladies the Ladies' 2010/11 FxPro Fulham home shirt| is great for visits to the Cottage. A classic looking football shirt but with the features and design to allow lightness and elasticity to maximize athletes' muscle strength and improve their endurance. The performance fabric contains quick dry: a high performance fabric engineered to draw heat away from the skin keeping the body cool and dry, thus allowing a great stretch fit and look. It was £39.99 and is now available for you to buy at just £19.99.

For all the little Whites, the Fulham infant away kit| consists of the away infant shirt, shorts and socks. It is the perfect outfit for all those young Fulham FC fans!

Don't miss out on the half price kits offers and order yours online|, instore or direct, today!

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/Halfpricekits.aspx#ixzz1JHsRsHsI

White Noise

Fulham Easter Treat

Monday 11th April 2011

Spoil the Fulham fans in your life this Easter with the ideal tasty treat for Whites fans.

A limited number of special FFC Easter Egg gift sets have just been made available in both Fulham stores for only £7.99.  The Fulham mug comes with a Milk Chocolate Easter Egg and a Fulham Football Club branded Mug.   

They are limited in numbers so drop by one of the Fulham stores today!

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/RetailEasterEggs.aspx#ixzz1JHsiKwSf

White Noise

Fair Play Update

Monday 11th April 2011

The latest Barclays Premier League Fair Play tables have been released. The tables are compiled from marks awarded by The Premier League Match Delegates.

The Team have maintained their position in second place in the Fair Play League and the Fulham fans are also holding steady in seventh place in the Behaviour of the Public Fair Play League.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/FairPlayUpdate.aspx

White Noise

Fair Play to Fulham as they look set to land unexpected Europa League place

By Christopher Davies

Last updated at 1:03 PM on 11th April 2011

Fulham have been boosted by news that they could land an unexpected place in next season's Europa League.

As it stands, the Cottagers are second in the Fair Play table behind west London rivals Chelsea, who seem set to qualify for the Champions League.

The highest placed team in the Fair Play table who do not qualify for Europe by their league position or winning a domestic cup are nominated by the FA to UEFA.

Heading for Europe: Fulham could land a place in next season's Europa League

The latest figures published by UEFA showed England second behind Norway in their Respect Fair Play ratings, thereby gaining an extra place in the 2011/12 Europa League.

Under UEFA rules, the top three countries in the Respect Fair Play League automatically gain an extra Europa League place.

As with the Premier League Fair Play table, UEFA's Respect Fair Play assessments are made by the official match delegates based on criteria such as positive play, respect for the opposition, respect for the referee, behaviour of the crowd and of team officials, as well as cautions and dismissals.

Fulham reached the final of the Europa League in 2009/10, losing to Atletico Madrid after finishing seventh in the Barclays Premier League the previous season.

The Premier League's current 'worst behaved' teams are Sunderland and Newcastle.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1375658/Fulhams-Fair-Play-record-land-unexpected-Europa-League-place.html#ixzz1JHtG65Py

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/apr/11/premier-league-chalkboard-analysis

Danny Murphy had a reputation for starring at Old Trafford in his Liverpool days, but he had a mixed afternoon against Manchester United this weekend. The Fulham captain played more passes than any other player in the division on Saturday, and was heavily involved in the action.

His more ambitious passes failed to come off, however. Perhaps inspired by United's struggles with direct balls played over the top of the defence last weekend at Upton Park, Murphy kept trying to loft the ball into space for Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele to run onto, but only one of these balls, to Zamora in the fourth minute, was successful.

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/man-utd-alerted-stockdale-admits-fulham-future-doubts-1565361

Man Utd alerted as Stockdale admits Fulham future doubts

12.04.11 | tribalfootball.com

David Stockdale is considering his options at Fulham.

The England squad goalkeeper has tweeted he could be on the move.

"Hope I can challenge for number 1 spot next year if not I will have to evaluate my future as MS [Mark Schwarzer] is looking in good shape at 39," tweeted the 25-year-old.

Manchester United have been watching Stockdale this season.

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-boss-hughes-smalling-deserves-his-man-utd-success-1565221

Fulham boss Hughes: Smalling deserves his Man Utd success

12.04.11 | tribalfootball.com

Fulham boss Mark Hughes has praised Manchester United defender Chris Smalling.

Smalling impressed against his former club in victory on Saturday.

"We all knew how good Chris was, and he's done very well since moving to United last summer," Hughes told fulhamfc.com. "He came to Fulham relatively inexperienced, having come in from playing non-league football, and three years later he's potentially on the verge of winning the title.

"A lot of credit should be given, because from day one he's worked extremely hard. It's good to see him doing well, although on Saturday that came at our expense. He's come a long way and he's only going to get better and better."

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/forest-will-not-give-fulham-veteran-greening-1564071

Forest will not give up on Fulham veteran Greening

11.04.11 | tribalfootball.com

Nottingham Forest boss Billy Davies remains keen on Jonathan Greening.

The People says Forest are set to go back in for Fulham's Greening this summer.

Forest failed to get the 32-year-old on loan in January.

But they should have more luck with a permanent offer for a player whose current contract ends next year.