watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (14.04.11)

Started by White Noise, April 14, 2011, 07:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

QPR boss Neil Warnock eyeing Fulham striker Andy Johnson and Hull's Jimmy Bullard

By Sami Mokbel

Last updated at 1:05 AM on 14th April 2011

Queens Park Rangers manager Neil Warnock is already planning for his side's top-flight return by plotting moves for Andy Johnson and Jimmy Bullard.

The Loftus Road club could secure promotion to the Barclays Premier League with victory over Derby on Monday night.

And Warnock is already identifying players he feels will give his side top league experience needed season.

Fulham striker Johnson is high on the west London club's hitlist.

The wanted men: Neil Warnock wants to add Andy Johnson (left) and Jimmy Bullard (right) to the ranks at Loftus Road

Johnson has scored two goals in 23 games for Mark Hughes' side this season since returning from a long-term knee injury.

The former Everton striker has a year left on his current deal and Warnock hopes to lure the 30-year-old to Loftus Road.

However, Johnson does not want to take a drop in his £40,000-per-week wages which could prove to be a stumbling block.

Hull midfielder Bullard - who is on loan at Ipswich - is set to leave the KC Stadium at the end of the season.

High and rising: Neil Warnock has guided QPR to the brink of the Barclays Premier League

And Warnock has earmarked the former Fulham man for a place in his midfield next season.

Ipswich are keen on making Bullard's loan deal permanent - but another crack at the top-flight would be hard to resist for the 32-year-old.

Bullard's £45,000-per-week contract still has two years left to run.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1376628/QPR-boss-Neil-Warnock-eyeing-Fulham-striker-Andy-Johnson-Hulls-Jimmy-Bullard.html#ixzz1JTU0t2yw

White Noise

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/football/news/article/-/9196873/fulham-chairman-al-fayed-offered-role-in-michael-jackson-musical/

Fulham chairman Al Fayed offered role in Michael Jackson musical

tribalfootball.com

April 14, 2011, 5:07 pm

Fulham chairman Mohamed Al Fayed has been invited to take a role in a pop musical about Michael Jackson.

The Sun says producers want the eccentric businessman, 78, to perform the title track in Man In The Mirror, a stage show based on Jacko's hits.

The invitation came after the Fulham owner unveiled a gaudy statue of the singer at his club's ground last week.

David King, the musical's executive producer, said: "He's come in for a bit of stick over that so I would like to give him the chance to share his passion with fellow fans.

"I'm not sure what his dancing is like but our choreographers can certainly help him brush up on his moves."

Mr King hopes the ex-Harrods owner will also narrate parts of the show, and share stories of his own friendship with the late star.

The American musical is due to head to Britain in the summer.

Click here for the No1 coverage of all the gossip and transfer news around Fulham.

White Noise

http://www.kickoff.com/news/21248/kagisho-dikgacoi-linked-to-west-bromwich-albion.php

Dikgacoi for West Brom?

Posted: 2011-04-14 07:54

Bafana Bafana midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi could team up with his former coach Roy Hodgson at English Premiership side West Bromwich Albion next season if media reports are anything to go by. 

Dikgacoi, who is on loan to Crystal Palace from Fulham, is reported to have attracted the interest of West Brom who could make an official bid for the 26-year-old at the end of the season.

Hodgson was responsible of giving 'KG' his overseas contract when signed he him for Fulham from Golden Arrows last season.

Speaking to KickOff.com last night, Dikgacoi confirms that Hodgson came to watch him when Palace played Queens Park Rangers in a League game recently.

"I haven't been told anything about interest from West Bromwich, but I know Hodgson was here to watch the game.

"my main ambition is to go back to the Premiership next season "
- Kagisho Dikgacoi

"I am keen to go back to the Premiership next season and will welcome any opportunity that will allow that to happen. I am still contracted to Fulham after they exercised the option to extend my stay for next season and my future in football is in their hands at the moment.

"I worked with Hodgson before and will always be grateful to him for giving me my break in Europe and I wouldn't mind playing under him in the future."

Dikgacoi has already scored a goal in the League this season.

"Coming here to play for Crystal Palace has helped me a great deal. I am playing week in week out and I have got my match fitness back. However, as I said before, my main ambition is to go back to the Premiership next season." 

Ernest Fakude

White Noise

Top of the League!

Wednesday 13th April 2011

Fulham's U18 side continued their remarkable run of form on Wednesday afternoon with a 1-0 win over Southampton that fired Kit Symons' team to the top of the Academy League.

Richard Peniket's goal secured Wednesday's victory, which was Fulham's 10th successive game undefeated. With just two league games remaining of the 2010/11 Academy season, Fulham are now in pole position to secure the title.

Fulham will have home advantage when they take on Birmingham City (16 April) and Leicester City (30 April) as the look to secure the League title. A full interview with Manager Kit Symons will follow shortly.   

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/AcademyLeagueTable.aspx#ixzz1JTaKUPRR

White Noise

Looking Forward

Wednesday 13th April 2011

Reserve Team Manager Billy McKinlay was delighted with his side's performance as the Reserves recorded a 6-1 victory over Charlton Athletic on Tuesday afternoon.

Kerim Frei opened the scoring for the Whites in the first-half and Marcello Trotta further added to the tally with a hat-trick. Danny Hoesen rounded off the scoring in the second-half with a brace.

The game saw many impressive performances for the Whites – with Trotta and Hoesen in particular demonstrating a good understanding up front.

"The manner of the performance was the most important thing," McKinlay told fulhamfc.com. "We played some good football and scored some good goals. I was pleased for Marcello and Danny; they've been working hard in training. We've been trying to get them to play as a pair and get them playing closer together.

"We outlined one or two things they can improve upon in their game and we saw that yesterday. We know they'll always score goals; we just need to get them in the right areas doing good work."

With the season nearing its closing stages McKinlay outlined the next steps in the development of both players.

"Danny's been injured for a while," McKinlay explained. "He's only been back for a few months so he would probably be coming back to peak fitness just as the season is ending. Next season we'll get him back in, assess him and see if a loan would be the next step.

"Marcello has been in and out, he's a little bit younger than Danny – so we're looking for him to establish himself in the Reserves in the early part of next year and see how he goes. Both of them know they have a lot of work to do, hopefully they're willing to do that because they've got the ability."

Rafik Halliche also made a key contribution to the result, showing an impressive range of passing.

"When the senior boys come down and they show the right attitude, like Rafik did yesterday, it sets the tone for the team," McKinlay commented. "I thought he was terrific, he's not played much football due to injury but we're pleased for him and we're pleased that the example he sets the younger players is a good one. It was a really good team performance lead by him."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/McKinlayCharltonReaction.aspx#ixzz1JTanlPOa

White Noise

Inside Fulham

Manager Mark Hughes features on this week's edition of the 'Inside Fulham' podcast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/iffc

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/04/14/so-much-hostility/

So much hostility

Filed under: General — rich @ 5:58 am

Couple of interesting looks at fan behaviour:

Joe Posnanski

Last week, when Butler played VCU during the Final Four game, I happened to be sitting near a very loud Butler fan. And all game long he screamed at the officials. It was non-stop. "Where's the traveling call, ref? ... How could you miss that foul? ... That's over the back ... When are you going to call this thing fairly? ... Why won't you let them play? ... When are you going to make a call?" On and on and on and on. I've heard people yell at officials pretty much all my life, but I can never remember hearing anyone so determined.

At some point, I started to wonder what motivates someone like that. What could possibly keep him screaming? Is he unhappy with his life? Does he have terrible frustrations he needs to unload? Is he an amateur referee who simply cannot abide bad calls? As the game went on, it became clearer and clearer that Butler was going to win, but his anger to the referees never subsided. It never even diminished. In the last minute, with Butler up by nine, he was still yelling at the referees, just as loud, just as intently, with the same fury.

I was pretty close to going up to him to ask why he kept yelling. I was really interested. But I had work to do and anyway I suspect he wouldn't have given me much of an answer. He might have punched me in the face. He probably would have thought I was making fun of him. But I was really curious and I am really curious: What is it that drives people to be so angry? Maybe it's just the fog of the times. Maybe, in the end, we all just want to be heard.

The Guardian's Secret Footballer:

Yet, in my opinion, how players goad referees pales in comparison to what players are expected to take from many fans.

As an example, we now know that swearing at a camera gets you a two-game ban but from the stands it is fine to swear at that same player, or a referee, as many times as you like.

Only last week the West Brom manager, Roy Hodgson, spoke out on this subject: "I don't think fans think they need to show anyone respect, be it other fans, players, coaches or refs. Of course we should, as managers and players, show more respect to referees and other coaches but it would be nice if the fans were a bit nicer – are you going to show a bit more respect to the ref or are you going to abuse him every time he makes a wrong decision? Or is it just the coaches and players that have to show the respect? Maybe it should be widened, to the whole of football?"

Absolutely right. Travelling around the country every other week, the abuse seems to be coming from all corners of the ground more frequently and from nearly every demographic. My wife told me that last week two girls no older than 13 or 14 were shouting the F-word at anybody who came near them.

Apparently I came in for a particularly vicious barrage after miscontrolling a pass – a cardinal sin, admittedly, but I wouldn't have thought deserving of back-to-back F- and C-words? It would be difficult for me to show any respect in this situation and if I reacted I bet I'd know who would be all over the papers.

All too true.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6869770,00.html

Cooper - No Burn deal done

No Fulham deal agreed for defender

By Pete O'Rourke - Follow me on Twitter @skysportspeteo.   Last Updated: April 13, 2011 6:28pm

Darlington boss Mark Cooper has rejected claims that highly-rated defender Dan Burn has agreed a move to Fulham.

Burn is being chased by a number of clubs after catching the eye for Darlington this season.

The 18-year-old has already undergone a medical at Fulham, while Everton have also been credited with an interest in the centre-half.

Burn was left out of the side for Darlington's 1-0 win at Histon on Tuesday night, fuelling speculation that a move to Fulham was in the offing.

However, Cooper insists no deal has been agreed with the Cottagers for the teenager.

No done deal

"It's as you were at the weekend. I've not spoken to the chairman since Saturday but as far as I'm aware nothing has been agreed," Cooper told the Northern Echo.
"Deals can be agreed but they can't be done yet. So an agreement would mean nothing if, say, Manchester United came in and offered £1million then he would go there instead.

"A deal can't be done until July 1 anyway, besides he's struggling with a knee problem that he's had for a couple of weeks so there's no point us risking him."

Cooper added: "There's no rush, the only concern would be that if he played and got a bad injury that could cost us. There's lots and lots of interest in him still but at the moment, apart from one or two clubs, that's all it is."

White Noise

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/6558/5/fulham-trial-non-league-brazilian-star-barcelos

Fulham to trial non-league Brazilian star Barcelos

By talkSPORT

Wednesday, April 13

Fulham are preparing to take non-league, Brazilian sensation Felipe Barcelos on a week-long trial.
The Oxford City forward has scored seven goals in three months for the Southern Premier Division side, since progressing from the youth academy, including a brace on Saturday and a hat-trick against Stourbridge in March.
The 19-year-old recently signed a two-year deal at the club but his prolific form has attracted the attention of Mark Hughes' side who are now planning to offer the youngster a brief trial at their Motspur Park training ground.
Newcastle have also been made aware of Barcelos' rapid ride to prominence and, with their attacking options threadbare, they could also take the teenager from non-league to the top-flight.

White Noise

Fulham go for Espanyol hitman

Published 23:00 13/04/11

By John Cross

Fulham boss Mark Hughes is tracking Espanyol striker Pablo Osvaldo.

Osvaldo, 25, who has dual Italian and Argentinian nationality, was on Fulham's hit list in January and they are weighing up another offer.

Osvaldo's agent Dario Decoud has been sounded out by several clubs with Espanyol ready to sell in the summer if anyone meets their £8m asking price.

Blackburn have also been been interested while several Italian clubs are keeping tabs.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Fulham-go-for-Espanyol-striker-Pablo-Osvaldo-article723217.html#ixzz1JTd6uEjw

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-send-young-hoesen-away-loan-1570081

Fulham to send young Hoesen away on-loan

14.04.11 | tribalfootball.com

Fulham reserves coach Billy McKinlay expects to send Danny Hoesen out on-loan next season.

The young Dutch striker has just returned from long-term injury.

"Danny's been injured for a while," McKinlay explained to fulhamfc.com. "He's only been back for a few months so he would probably be coming back to peak fitness just as the season is ending.

"Next season we'll get him back in, assess him and see if a loan would be the next step."

White Noise

Fulham boss wants extended Schwarzer stay

By Jacob Murtagh

Apr 14 2011

MARK Hughes wants Mark Schwarzer to stay at Fulham for as long as possible.

The Australian keeper signed a new deal earlier this season that keeps him at Craven Cottage until 2012.

However, the 38-year-old wants to trigger the one-year's option on his contract.

And boss Hughes has hinted he could extend Schwarzer's time in SW6.

He said: "If you've got an experienced keeper in your midst, I have always felt it is important to keep them there, fit and well, because that experience is difficult to replicate.

"He's changed the way he approaches his game in terms of preparation. He's changed his body composition as well.

"He's got more lean and he works hard on his diet and nutrition and that shows what a very good professional he is.

"He's trying to lengthen his career because he wants to play as long as he can. He still has ambitions in the game and hopefully he can achieve them."

The news is a massive blow to number two David Stockdale, who earlier this week vented his frustration at being stuck behind Schwarzer in the Fulham pecking order.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/04/14/fulham-boss-wants-extended-schwarzer-stay-82029-28522019/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed#ixzz1JVCWxfj4

White Noise

On The Line

Thursday 14th April 2011

Dickson, there are 18 points left to play for as we reach the final stages of the 2010/11 season. Are you relatively comfortable with the Club's current position in the League?

Of course, I'd prefer it if we were higher in the table, as would all of us, but we've done ok. It's just the fact that we've drawn too many games which is why we are where we are in the table.

But now everyone is coming back to fitness and we're looking really strong so things are positive, and I'm hopeful that we can get maybe 12 out of the 18 remaining points available.

After a little break we have three big games in a week and all three are winnable, so I'm very confident of a strong finish to the season.

A win against Wolves could see us flying high in the top half but defeat could see us looking over our shoulders – have you ever played in a league season as tight as this?

Never, and it's because the Premier League is getting harder and harder as a League. That's why it's the hardest league to play in in the world - the competition is so strong.

That makes it exciting for the fans and exciting for us too, because we know we're capable of winning any game, or losing any game - that's how tough the Premier League is. It will be a tough finish to the season, but I'm sure we have the team and players that can deal with that.

With no game this weekend the team will now enjoy a few days off before preparations begin for Wolves away next Saturday. What are you doing with your time off? It must be particularly beneficial for you with the non-stop football you've played over the past few years?

For me, it's definitely appreciated, because I've hardly had a break in the last two years.

The summer before last I was away with my national team playing World Cup and African Nations Qualifiers, and then last year, of course, was the World Cup in South Africa, so it's really nice to be able to get a few days here and there to rest and spend some time with my friends and family.

It's a nicely timed little break before the last six games to help us finish the campaign strong, to get our minds right and get ready to go again.

Our fixture changes mean we've got no game for two weeks and then Wolves, Bolton and Sunderland in a week, two of which are away. It's something you should be used to after last season's Europa League but it's hardly an ideal set-up.

It has been funny this season, because in comparison to last year it feels like we have hardly had any games!

Last season, if we weren't playing three times a week, we were travelling or something, but that's what happens when you're a successful team – you have more games, you progress in the cups and travel all over Europe.

It was a great experience for us and a little taster of what the big clubs like Chelsea, Arsenal and Man United deal with every season.

But that was last season, now let's look forward and keep pushing on in the League. I think people can sense, they can see that we're getting better as a team all the time. The squad is stronger than ever with a lot of top players.

The work the Manager and his Coaching Staff have been doing with us is showing on the pitch and long may it continue. We're going away from home now and playing much better than we ever did, and having opportunities to win those games.

We might not win all of them, but we're heading in the right direction, so it's only a matter of time before the results follow. These are exciting times at Fulham, and I'm just glad to be a part of it.

Speaking of European football, any thoughts on possibly playing in the Europa League again next season. After last season's adventure it must be something you are all wishing for...

Of course, after the experience of last year we'd love to play in Europe again, but the Premier League is our bread and butter, and first and foremost the most important thing is making sure we stay in this league.

We know we're too good to go down, so we just have to go out and show people that in the next couple of games. I'm sure 41 or 42 points will be enough so we're not far off, but the same could be said of a lot of teams!

It will be tight, and anything's possible. It's impossible to guess who will go down right now, but if we keep doing what we've been doing we'll be fine.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/DicksonInterview.aspx#ixzz1JVLaPGYu

White Noise

Table Toppers

Thursday 14th April 2011

Fulham's Youth Team rounded off a fine couple of days for the Club's youngsters on Wednesday afternoon by beating table-topping Southampton and claiming pole position in the Academy League.

The Under 18s were without a number of players due to a Reserve Team game at Motspur Park on Tuesday but they were still able to produce a disciplined and organised display to secure all thee points in Wednesday's crunch match.

"It was a fantastic couple of days for our lads," Under 18 Manager Kit Symons told fulhamfc.com. "Marcello Trotta played for the Reserves on Tuesday and scored a hat-trick, Kerim Frei scored a good goal – Cristian Marquez-Sanchez also started and put in a solid performance.

"Obviously those players couldn't then feature for the Youth Team on the Wednesday, but the boys put in a really professional, resolute performance against Southampton who are a good side. They were top of the table and it was a good game of football.

"Richard Peniket scored two against Bristol City on Saturday and scored the winning goal against Southampton so he's in a good vein of form – with Marcello scoring a hat-trick on Tuesday, we've got goals coming in at the moment.

"I've said before that in a nice football match we'd compete with anyone – but sometimes when games were played in bad conditions or were overly physical we'd always seem to come out second best. We've now been involved in games that haven't been too easy on the eye but we've competed and come out with a point or a win."

The Whites now have games against Birmingham City and Leicester City left to cement their place at the top of the table. Should Kit Symons' men finish top, they will face a semi-final tie against the winner of the Premier Academy League Group D.

"Thanks to a lot of hard work from the players, finishing top of the table is a realistic target," Symons explained. "If we win our two remaining games we'll be top of our group, which is a good achievement and reflects well on the Club.

"It's been a really bright season, the one black cloud hanging over the whole thing was losing to Watford in the FA Youth Cup. The fact that we drew Chelsea or Barnsley in the next round didn't help.

"I think some of the boys took their eye off the initial goal of beating Watford and were already thinking about playing Chelsea in the next round. That was a really disappointing evening. Don't get me wrong, Watford are a good side but we didn't perform anything like we can and it was bitterly disappointing on the night.

"After something like that you can go one of two ways; you can think 'that's our season finished now' or you can roll your sleeves up and work even harder. Full testament to our players, that's what they've done. They're got themselves into a situation where they're top of their league with two games to go – having gone unbeaten since the Watford game."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/SymonsSouthamptonReaction.aspx#ixzz1JVM5yEXe

White Noise

Experience Counts

Thursday 14th April 2011

Fulham Manager Mark Hughes highlighted the value of Mark Schwarzer's vast top flight experience to the Team recently when discussing the goalkeeper position.

Schwarzer is currently playing in his 14th season in the Premier League in a professional career that has spanned over 20 years to date and Hughes emphasised just how beneficial that experience can be to the Team.

"Goalkeeping is a specialised position and it takes experience over and above any other position. A lack of experience in the goalkeeping position can cost your team dearly," Hughes told fulhamfc.com.

"Sometimes it's difficult to judge when to give young keepers the opportunity and put your complete faith in them because there's always that understanding that maybe they haven't had enough games they need to totally understand the role and qualities that are needed.

"If you've got an experienced keeper in your midst, I've always felt it's important to try and keep them there, and fit and well, because that experience is very difficult to replicate.

"He's [Mark Schwarzer] changed the way he approaches his game in terms of preparation. He's changed his body composition as well. He's got more lean mass and he works hard on his diet and nutrition and that shows what a very good professional he is.

"He's trying to lengthen his career because he wants to play as long as he can. He still has ambitions in the game and hopefully he can achieve them."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/HughesonSchwarzer.aspx#ixzz1JVMrPMA7