watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (16.04.11)

Started by White Noise, April 16, 2011, 06:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/8978346.Burn_full_of_praise_for_Darlington_support/

Burn full of praise for Darlington support

11:22pm Friday 15th April 2011

By Craig Stoddart

Deputy Sports Editor

Darlington defender Dan Burn is looking forward to the challenge of breaking into the Fulham first team after securing a move to the Premier League club.

He will join the Cottagers in the summer after this week agreeing a deal that could earn Quakers over £1m if add-ons based on appearances are realised.

The transfer comes after the Blyth 18-year-old put in a string of impressive displays during only 19 appearances at the heart of Darlington's defence.

"I don't think it has really sunk in yet," he admitted.

"It probably won't until I'm down there and at my first day's training.

"My family are just ecstatic at the moment, everyone is really pleased for me. Everyone at the club has been great, but I still feel there's a job to finish here before I join up with Fulham in the summer, I'm still a Darlington player."

Burn will link-up with his new Fulham team-mates for the start of pre-season training, so he remains at The Northern Echo Arena for the remainder of this campaign.

He is currently sidelined by a knee injury, so Adam Quinn will be in the side that faces Hayes & Yeading today.

Burn has missed the last two games, including the home win over Bath City seven days ago, when he headed to Fulham for a medical.

He added: "It's amazing. The last few months have been crazy.

"I knew Fulham had been watching me from early on, I just had to keep my head down and keep doing all the right things and concentrate on my job.

"Then they approached the club and I was given permission to talk to them last week.

"I could just tell it was the club for me straight away. Everyone was really welcoming.

"I had a medical, when they did all sorts of tests, then they showed me around and introduced me to the players and staff.

"I spoke to the gaffer, Mark Hughes, and he wasn't what I expected. He was quietly-spoken and reserved.

"He just said the club were looking for good young English players and that he'd had me watched about ten times, so that was nice to hear.

"I've done the easy bit now, though.

"The hard work starts here and I need to prove myself to new people at Fulham, but I'm as determined to do that as I was of getting into the Darlington team. I'm looking forward to the challenge."

In moving to the Premier League Burn becomes the most successful graduate of the club's productive youth section.

Burn has been quick to thank the coach, Craig Liddle, who was also a Darlington defender, while the teenager was keen to go on record to praise manager Mark Cooper and the club's fans.

He said: "Everyone at the club have been great and I can't thank them enough.

"Lidds has been brilliant and the gaffer, they were texting and ringing me last week while I was down there, just making sure I was okay and I was being looked after.

"They've been really supportive and I thank them for that.

"I'd also like to thank the Darlington fans. I'll never forget last season, we were getting beaten every single week and getting relegated, and they just kept coming back week after week, supporting the club through thick and thin.

"They were brilliant then and they've been brilliant this season.

"They've supported me and I've had loads of messages of good luck about going to Fulham, which has been nice."

White Noise

Fulham defender wants Senderos fight

By Jacob Murtagh

Apr 15 2011

BREDE Hangeland is desperate for Philippe Senderos to return to fitness and offer competition to Fulham's defence.

The giant Norwegian and centre-back partner Aaron Hughes have played EVERY Premier League game this season for the Whites.

Hughes played through the pain barrier despite a shoulder and head injury when he and Hangeland were part of the 2-0 defeat at Manchester United on Saturday.

In fact, Chris Smalling – who was the last credible challenge to the Fulham duo last season – lined up for the league leaders.

Rafik Halliche has failed to step up to the plate since his summer move to Craven Cottage, while utility man Chris Baird has been used mostly at full-back.

But Senderos, yet to play a single first-team minute, is closing in on a Fulham comeback after rupturing his Achilles pre-season, and his return to fitness can't come quick enough for Hangeland.

He said: "Me and Aaron have played so many games together and I know him so well.

"But I would welcome any centre-back to the club. It means that me and Aaron, or whoever plays, needs to play well to keep our shirt.

"I think in football competition brings out the best in people. There's been times when me and Aaron have been the only centre-halves fit and that's not good if one of us gets injured."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/04/15/fulham-defender-wants-senderos-fight-82029-28526713/#ixzz1JfBEQIJ1

White Noise

Taking Stock

Friday 15th April 2011

Fulham goalkeeper David Stockdale says the current season has already been a campaign to remember.

The 25-year-old expects the Whites to secure a top 10 finish with six games of the 2010/11 season remaining and cap a positive period of progression, which has seen the stopper impress in the absence of number one Mark Schwarzer.

"It's been a solid season, and after a mixed first half of the year we have gone from strength-to-strength," said Stockdale to fulhamfc.com. "When a new manager comes in there is always a phase of adjustment, but I think we have done well.

"For me personally, it has been one to remember as I've managed to get a number of games under my belt which was important. I had a little taste last season, and this term I've been given the opportunity to show what I can do further.

"I think I did well whenever called upon and it's nice to hear people saying that they think I could be a future Fulham number one – because obviously that is my goal."

One defeat and five clean sheets from the 10 games that he has been part of this term has done much for Stockdale's growing reputation as one of England's brightest young goalkeepers. His international call-up in February may have come as a surprise to those outside of Craven Cottage, but those on the inside point to its merit.

"It was a proud moment for me, and something that I had dreamed about as a kid," he explained. "It was a moment that I and my family will never forget. I hope those at the Club were proud too, because I was honoured to be a Fulham player in an England squad.

"The Club took a bit of a gamble on me when they brought me in and I like to think I have repaid a bit of that faith by being called up and doing well in the First Team. Both of which have only strengthened my desire to play at the highest level."

With the return and subsequent form of Mark Schwarzer, following the Aussie stopper's involvement in the Asian Cup, Stockdale has found game time limited of late. His frustrations in returning to the dugout can be forgiven, although he insists comments made on his Twitter page this week were naive on his part.

"It has been difficult stepping back," admits Stockdale. "But that's the life of a goalkeeper - at times it is a bit of a waiting game. Every player wants to play, and I'm no different.

"I've been in the press this week as a result of something I said on Twitter, but it was taken out of context. I was naive, and should have been more aware because quite a lot of players have got in to trouble from statements of their own this season.

"I said that in seeing Mark Schwarzer do so well that next year I might have to evaluate my situation. I can see why people thought I was suggesting that I wanted to leave, but that's really not what I meant because I'm very, very happy here.

"I've spoken to the Club and they know that I want to be a Fulham player for a long time to come. I like communicating with the Fulham fans on Twitter, but I'll have to be a bit wiser. I didn't want to cause any trouble, and it's all quite unfortunate, but again, I have no desire to leave!"

With the FA Cup Semi-Finals being played out this weekend, the Whites are without a fixture with Wolverhampton Wanderers the opponents in eight days time. Stockdale says the rest from action will do the squad a lot of good as the final run in approaches, but having been knocked out of the competition by Bolton, who face Stoke at Wembley on Sunday, he cannot help but think of what could have been.

"It's nice to have a bit of time off, we'll go away, relax and see family," he explained. "But if you ask any of the boys where they would rather be – they would all say Wembley. We had ambitions of doing well in the Cup, but we didn't play well enough against Bolton on what was a disappointing day for us.

"They went on to beat Birmingham, and as a result they have an FA Cup Semi-Final to look forward to. You can't help but think that could have been us, it's a natural thought.

"But that's done, now we just have to concentrate on the league and the remainder of our matches. We face Wolves next, in what promises to be an important run of fixtures, with Bolton and Sunderland following very quickly.

"They are games we have to be looking at getting something from, and there's no reason why we can't. We want to finish in the top 10 and with the squad of players that we have that is certainly achievable."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/DavidStockdaleInterview.aspx#ixzz1JfBuyEV7

White Noise

Season Ticket Packs

Friday 15th April 2011

Your Season Ticket renewal packs have been posted and will be with you next week!

2011/12 Season Tickets at Fulham are a genuinely affordable way to catch all 19 of Fulham's Barclays Premier League home games.

Adult and Concession Season Tickets start at just £329, and Junior Season Tickets from just £95. That's under £18 and just £5 per game respectively. We even have a limited number of FREE Season Tickets for Under 8s*. 

Complete and return your Season Ticket renewal form by Wednesday 27th April and save £10!

We look forward to welcoming you back at the Cottage.

Read more about Season Tickets|

Please note: The renewal form includes your unique client reference number so please take care when filling in your details.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/Seasonticketslaunch.aspx#ixzz1JfCh9h00

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/darlington-delighted-dan-burn-sale-fulham-1573881

Darlington delighted with Dan Burn sale to Fulham

15.04.11 | tribalfootball.com

Darlington have confirmed the sale of teenage defender Dan Burn to Fulham.

The deal is expected to secure the financial future of the Quakers.

Darlo chairman Raj Singh was delighted to sew up the move.

He told the Northern Echo: "This represents a fantastic bit of business for Darlington and we're delighted for Dan that he's joining a top, Premier League club.

"Mark Cooper wanted to make sure Dan joined the right club and he kept me informed of all enquiries, ensuring we got the best possible deal while also looking after the player, so he deserves a lot of credit for that.

"I'd also like to thank Dan's parents for the way they've handled themselves. They allowed us to handle the deal without getting involved and trusted us to make sure it was right for both the club and the player.

"Dan will join Fulham at the end of the season and, naturally, we wish him our luck in what we hope and believe is the beginning of a very successful career."

Burn, who had been linked with several Premier League clubs, including Everton and Newcastle United, is the second Darlington player to move to Fulham in recent years following goalkeeper David Stockdale's switch in 2008.

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/apr/16/roy-hodgson-west-bromwich-albion

Roy Hodgson has no self-pity after his re-emergence at West Brom

The former Liverpool manager is back in buoyant form after dramatically reducing the threat of relegation at The Hawthorns

Paul Hayward The Guardian, Saturday 16 April 2011

The West Bromwich Albion manager, Roy Hodgson, is back in buoyant form after leaving Liverpool . . . and beating them. Photograph: Alex Morton/Action Images

Roy Hodgson recently read a book called Beware of Pity by Stefan Zweig, one of his favourite writers. The title chimes with his managerial re-emergence at West Bromwich Albion after a torrid 191 days in charge of Liverpool. It also points to a trend Hodgson thinks will play a vital part in football's future: the scientific cultivation of "mental strength" to overcome adversity.

On the eve of Chelsea's visit to The Hawthorns, Kenny Dalglish's Anfield predecessor was fully restored to his old buoyant form. West Brom have taken 12 points from his six games in Roberto Di Matteo's old chair and the threat of relegation has been dramatically reduced. Hodgson can afford to think laterally again about his work and how coaching will develop to offset the crushing pressure of money and expectation.

"You can get undone very quickly in this league, and what we've got to look at in the future is the mental strength of the team so they don't get carried along by opinions about them – the ability mentally to shrug off enormous disappointments in games and get yourself going again," he says.

"It's very easy for you and me to talk about but as a player that's the hardest thing possible. We've just had a classic example with Rory McIlroy who played so brilliantly and even after nine holes on the final day was leading the Masters. Then he has one absolutely wretched hole.

"He's shown enormous mental strength on those three and a half rounds but sometimes you just can't do it, even when you're a person of that ability and mental strength. Golfers have a lot more of it than footballers because footballers can rely on others. Towards the end of the season mental strength is going to be important because you're going to hit obstacles.

"Fulham had a lot of that. We went to Portsmouth on the final day needing to win and that was the Portsmouth of Crouch and Defoe and Diarra.

"There are certain words that have to be avoided at all costs. Cynicism is one, fatalism is another. American sports are really good at assessing that side of things and making good decisions as a result."

In this vein Hodgson is back in his Fulham days, when he took Premier League also-rans to their highest league finish and a Europa League final before opportunity knocked on Merseyside. One of West Brom's wins was a 2-1 victory over Dalglish's men. The build-up to that match allowed him to give his side of the Liverpool story and he does so here again: "Kenny wanted the job, didn't he? The people who appointed me decided they didn't want to do that but there was a large body of opinion in Liverpool that he was the man so, if I was going to succeed and win the fans round and make people forget the legend that was Kenny, I was going to have to win a lot of games – and that didn't happen for me."

After a previous sacking, at Blackburn, Hodgson went to ground, wounded and aggrieved. Not this time. He says: "I didn't look to dive straight back in. Quite the opposite. I was more in tune with having a good and perhaps well-deserved break. It was just that this job came up. I knew it would be a tough one but also one with a lot of possibilities. The job found me, really. The people were very keen for me to come and I was impressed by their vision, their selling pitch.

"I like to travel. The last years have been very intense. First all those matches we had to play at Fulham, then going to Liverpool for over 30 games in the six-month period. There was a little feeling that it's football, football, football – three matches every week – and it might be nice to spend some time with my wife and son. I still have that in mind. But I'm quite pleased I talked myself into this job and that my wife didn't try to talk me out of it.

"Maybe the fact that I went so much underground after the Blackburn thing played a part. There's no middle ground in my career. It's extremes either way. Last time it was staying out of the limelight for months and months, this time I took a three- or four-week break and headed straight back into a relegation dogfight with another threatened team."

Hodgson's availability was a gift for West Brom's chairman, Jeremy Peace, who paid the going rate for a manager who was almost guaranteed to preserve their Premier League status.

"I found them in the middle or hopefully reaching the end of a disastrous run of games, where after a good start 14 or 15 matches had passed for one victory," Hodgson says. "In that situation you're on an enormous slide but, if you can arrest that and get a bit of confidence back anything is possible. I keep preaching that, if you can slide once, you can slide again. If Sunderland can go eight games with one point, anyone can.

"West Bromwich Albion, like Fulham, have a certain appeal and I knew there were some good football players here, talented people. I thought they had the right attitude – the chairman and Dan Ashworth, the sporting director. I thought it would be a nicer way to finish the season than leaving Liverpool and not doing anything for six months.

"The beauty of the Fulham one was that there were more games: 18 as opposed to 12 here. The lack of fixtures bothered me because sometimes it takes four to six to make inroads. It happened quickly here, with the help of people like Nicky Shorey, who had worked with me before, Steven Reid who was quick to latch on, Jonas Olsson, James Morrison and Graham Dorrans. They half knew what I was going to work, what I would want.

"The template is organisation, not only defensive but offensive as well. We divide our time almost religiously between attacking and defending. We have a 60-40 swing. If you're playing a difficult away game you might spend one and a half sessions defending. But for the most part it's one on the defensive shape, one on the offensive shape and a third possibly divided between the two, or on specific work.

"The mantra is that we've got to be a very strong unit both when we're attacking and defending. We talk about it globally. When the opposition have the ball how are we 11 going to deal with it? The two strikers might still be the most important people when we're defending. And the guys who are there to stop it might have a big part in our attacking build-up. At Liverpool the players were receptive to the work we tried to do as they were at Fulham and are here. But of course players have characteristics and it suits them to do certain things rather than others – so you're always going to find that battle against their natural desires."

Talk of which raises the spectre of Fernando Torres, whom Hodgson managed at Liverpool, and Peter Odemwingie, Albion's leading scorer, of whom his manager says: "He was scoring but I thought we could get more out of him; he's doing more for the team now. And he's getting goals that win us games. A lot of his others were goals that reduced the deficit."

Torres, on the other hand, elicits only sympathy: "It hasn't worked out for him this year. It didn't at Liverpool. A change of scenery could have been the catalyst for him but isn't. I feel very sorry for him because I know how badly he wants to succeed and I know how good he is.

"The thing I notice with strikers is that judgments get harsher and harsher, so they're not even judged any more on missed chances but missed half chances or quarter chances. I think that weighs on people. But it seems to me Chelsea are handling that side of it well. When I see little clips of Carlo [Ancelotti] with Fernando, Carlo is obviously sympathetic to his plight and that's very, very important because he's a top-class player.

"He'll get over it. Sod's law says it will all start for him on Saturday. I can only hope this drought lasts one more week – then he can score as many as he likes." A talk with Hodgson about thriving after Liverpool and overcoming difficulty may do El Niño good.

jarv

Ecxellent interview with RH. Top man. :045:

RidgeRider

HatterDon

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel