News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Any USA lawyers amongst you.?? Important question. HELP!

Started by jarv, February 22, 2010, 10:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

I have been unemployed for a few weeks but also have a business which is very part time and has not been active for a few months. I am about to make it more active but it is not legal to collect while starting a new business in my state. Although I am not starting it but expanding it, the problems for me are the same. (money).
Good grief, what else is one to do when unemployed at 62?? Also, if it goes ok, I could create 3 or 4 jobs next year.

Anyway, I want to find out if I can sign over the business to a family member and still collect my unemployment. (while working as a volunteer, ie taking no money from the business). I have spent ages online, plowing through information but no answers yet.

HatterDon

I'm not a lawyer, but I have had some recent experience at drawing unemployment. I can tell you that each state has its own eligibility laws and they are not necessarily the same for all states. I'd suggest you find your states version of the Texas Workforce Commission. They should have a website with a Q&A section. The professionals who work in their various offices should also be able to answer that question. If they're anything like the folks in Texas, they're a good bunch to ask for help.

Good luck.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

jarv

Thanks hatterdon. I don't think the staff here in massachusetts will be as friendly and helpful as down south. However, not too worried. I kind of like this idle life but would like to be able to buy a few beers while I grow my business.

RidgeRider

I think jlough is an attorney but he hasn't posted here recently.

Logicalman

Jarv,

Without pushing the point, you can join the Fulham Group on Linked-In. We have a number of lawyers on there, and they might be willing to advise.