Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (23.04.11)

Started by White Noise, April 23, 2011, 06:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Wolves get Hunt back but lose Elokobi

Published 14:54 22/04/11

By MirrorFootball

Stephen Hunt has recovered from a groin injury and is available for Wolves' Barclays Premier League match against Fulham.

George Elokobi has picked up a hamstring strain in training and misses out.

Dave Edwards is still sidelined with a spine injury, while Kevin Doyle (knee) and Ronald Zubar (back) are also unavailable.

Team (from): Hahnemann, Mouyokolo, Jarvis, Craddock, Jones, Ward, Fletcher, Ebanks-Blake, Stearman, Vokes, Milijas, Hill, Hennessey, Batth, Henry, Hammill, Ebanks-Blake, Foley, Hunt, Kightly, Guedioura, Mancienne.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Wolves-Fulham-team-news-Hunt-back-from-groin-injury-Elokobi-sidelined-by-hamstring-strain-Edwards-Doyle-Zubar-remain-out-article726624.html#ixzz1KKBkQX4M

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/04/22/2453906/wolves-manager-mick-mccarthy-targets-three-wins-from-their

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy targets three wins from their remaining six games

Irishman insists his side need just nine points from out of a possible 18 to secure their Premier League status for another season

By Omar Shahid

22 Apr 2011 22:25:00

Wolverhampton Wanderers manager Mick McCarthy insists three wins from their final six games is enough to stave off relegation.

Although Wolves find themselves at the bottom of the Premier League, they have a game in hand over the six teams above them.

Should they win three more fixtures, this would amount to 41 points, a figure McCarthy believes is sufficient to stay up this season.

"Three wins out of six games, I'd take that all day long. If it takes more than that, we might all have problems," McCarthy told reporters on Friday

"If somebody gave me that now, I'd take it away and we would be absolutely safe, no question," he told reporters on Friday.

Wolves face Fulham on Saturday at the Molineux, and if Mark Hughes's side win, they could find themselves in the top half of the table.

McCarthy maintains that this season has been the most competitive to date, but also believes the teams at the bottom are more confident than ever before.

"I don't think there are bad teams at the bottom of the league," added McCarthy.

"I know it means that the three teams that go down are the three worst teams in the league, but I don't necessarily think it means they are bad teams.

"We've all had good results against good teams and I think the league is definitely tougher this year.

"Somebody's got to be sad and unlucky though, and lets hope it's not me.

"There's never been a time when the bottom team can be so confident that we can get out of it, which we are.

"Everybody still believes they've got the chance to get out, and we've got to maintain that belief."

White Noise

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2011/04/22/no-headline-86908-23079468/

Craig Brown delighted as Rob Milsom signs two-year deal at Pittodrie

Apr 22 2011

ROB MILSOM has signed a two-year contract at Aberdeen.

The 24-year-old midfielder amd Fulham youth academy product moved to Pittodrie in January.

Milsom has made 15 appearances for the Dons and netted his first goal in the 3-2 loss to St Mirren earlier this month.

Manager Craig Brown said: "We are very pleased that Rob Milsom has signed a contract to stay with the club.

"That is excellent for Aberdeen Football Club and he has made a good impact since he has come to the club.

"All the correspondence and information I get from the fans is that he is a very popular player here. (He is) certainly very popular in the dressing room and with the staff so we are delighted about that signing.

"There was interest from other SPL clubs so we are very, very pleased to have managed to get Rob signed at Aberdeen."

Clark Robertson has also signed a two-year deal with the club.

White Noise

http://www.footballfancast.com/2011/04/football-news/wolves-confidence-high-on-avoiding-drop

Wolves confidence high on avoiding drop

Date: 22nd April 2011 at 3:37 pm

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy does not think a bottom-place team has ever been so confident of beating relegation.McCarthy's side are currently bottom with six games left. But, because of the nature of this season's Premier League, Wolves are still just eight points away from a place in the top 10.

That's why the manager is adamant his side are still well set to stay up this season.

Ahead of Saturday's visit of Fulham, McCarthy said: "There has never been a time that the bottom team could feel so confident that they can get out of it – which we are."

"It's so tight still and it's in our hands – we've got a game in hand away at Stoke on Tuesday so there's still everything to play for."

"Everyone still thinks they have a chance of getting out of it and we have to maintain that belief."

"We've worked on being solid and trying to keep a clean sheet and let's hope it works.

"There's no point leaving the back door open."

"It's important to stay in games and not concede because when you do, it's tough to get one back."

McCarthy is likely to put striker Sam Vokes on to the bench after he was recalled from his loan spell at Norwich on Friday.

The forward is back at his parent club following injuries to Kevin Doyle (knee) and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, who suffered a hamstring injury in their 3-0 defeat to Everton on April 9.

Doyle has started light training and could yet make a return from his knee ligament injury before the end of the season but defender George Elokobi will miss the rest of the season after tearing his hamstring in training last week.

McCarthy will also be able to call upon midfielder Stephen Hunt, who has returned to full training less than a fortnight after a hernia operation.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_preview/0,19764,11065_3285049,00.html

Wolves v Fulham preview

Vokes likely to go straight back into squad; Duff likely to miss out for Fulham

By Mike Barton   Last updated: 22nd April 2011   

Form guide:Wolves: WDWLL
Fulham: DWLWL

Injuries:
Wolves: Elokobi, Doyle, Ebanks-Blake, Zubar, Edwards, .
Fulham: Senderos, Kamara

Sky Bet odds: Wolves 6/4 Draw 9/4 Fulham 9/4

Opta stat: Fulham have won only one of their last 34 Premier League away games.

Bottom side Wolves host Fulham at Molineux in a match the home side will be desperate to win to keep the pace with their relegation rivals.

Despite playing some good football and beating the likes of Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea and Manchester City this season, their porous defence has been a major reason why they are propping up the table.

Mick McCarthy's team looked like they would be able to play their way out of trouble a few weeks ago after some good performances and crucial victories over Blackpool and Aston Villa lifted them out of the bottom three.

But two heavy defeats on the spin to Newcastle and Everton once again see McCarthy back where he started, with another defeat seeing him staring down the barrel in what could be one of the tightest final days in Premier League history.

Victory for the home side would put them within three points of their opponents however, and even with Fulham appearing to be sitting pretty in 12th, Mark Hughes' side are by no means out of the woods yet.

Patchy

The Cottagers' form has been patchy of late, having drawn two, lost two and won two of their last six games and relying on their home form - where they are unbeaten in 2011 - to get them by.

One player who will be in the side is Bobby Zamora, with an intriguing sub-plot likely to emerge after Wolves skipper Karl Henry broke the striker's leg in the corresponding fixture in September which Fulham won 2-1.

Another is that of Fulham skipper Danny Murphy, who criticised Wolves, amongst others, for their over-zealous tackling last year, with the midfielder likely to be on the end of a few sharp challenges.

Both teams have a game in hand on their competition around the bottom, but McCarthy especially will know that he can not let another game without winning pass him by.

Team news

McCarthy is likely to thrust Sam Vokes straight on to the bench after he was recalled from his loan spell at Norwich on Friday in a squad that is decimated by injuries.

The striker is back at his parent club following injuries to Kevin Doyle and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, who suffered a hamstring injury in the defeat to Everton.

McCarthy will also be able to call Stephen Hunt, who has returned to full training less than a fortnight after a hernia operation and is available.

Doyle has started light training and could yet make a return from his ligament injury before the season's end.

George Elokobi will miss the rest of the season however after tearing his hamstring in training last week.

Fulham look set to be without winger Damien Duff for Saturday's clash.

Duff is still struggling with an Achilles injury that led to him missing their clash with Manchester United two weeks ago, however he should be back for Wednesday's match with Bolton.

There are no further fresh concerns for Hughes, with Philippe Senderos still working his way back to full fitness after missing the entire season to date.

Possible Starting XIs:

Wolves: Hennessey, Foley, Berra, Stearman, Ward, Jarvis, Henry, O'Hara, Guedioura, Hammill, Fletcher.

Fulham: Schwarzer, Baird, Hangeland, Hughes, Salcido, Dempsey, Murphy, Etuhu, Kakuta, Dembele, Zamora.

White Noise

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3542341/Mark-Hughes-admits-Fulham-paid-the-price-for-Bobby-Zamora-leg-break.html

Bobby was our top 10 hit

By BEN HUNT

Published: Today

MARK HUGHES insists Fulham would be in the top half of the Premier League - had Bobby Zamora not broken a leg.

The striker was crocked against Wolves in September and was ruled out of action for five months. He is only just getting back to full fitness but is already among the goals.

Boss Hughes said: "I am convinced we would be in the top 10 of the table if Bobby was fit this season.

"We have been involved in games where we have had too many draws.

"If Bobby was involved he would have turned those draws into wins.

"He is still coming back and is not at the level he was before his injury. We will try to bring him on correctly.

"He still gets a bit of discomfort from the injury, which he will have for some time.

"But we know that and that's why we are working with him over this injury. But it is only a matter of time before he is firing on all cylinders again."

Hughes says England international Zamora will not fear facing Karl Henry - the man who broke his leg in a tackle in the 2-1 Fulham win at Craven Cottage.

The manager said: "Bobby's injury was one of those things.

"He does not have anything to prove or any retribution. He is just glad to be back playing football again.

"He is over any sense of trepidation. It is just about making sure he progresses over every game."

Luke

Quote"I've known Mick for a long time, I like his company and I like pitching up against him, seeing if I can overcome him."

Am I the only person slightly gutted that Hughes likes McCarthy?
Here's Davies..... It's on, It is on!!

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/football_focus/13159242.stm

Lawro's prediction

Wolves v Fulham

Wolves have to look at this game as offering them a really good chance of victory. They are still without injured striker Kevin Doyle, but they have to get over it.

They have also had two weeks to think about their last game - that disastrous 3-0 home defeat by Everton - so I bet their manager Mick McCarthy must be desperate to play, just to get off the training ground.

Fulham are sitting nicely in mid-table knowing that a couple more wins could push them into the top 10 but I just think Wolves' desperation and desire for the points will see them get the victory.

Prediction: 2-1

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Luke on April 23, 2011, 11:43:19 AM
Quote"I've known Mick for a long time, I like his company and I like pitching up against him, seeing if I can overcome him."

Am I the only person slightly gutted that Hughes likes McCarthy?

He HAS to say something like this.