more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (22.04.11)

Started by White Noise, April 22, 2011, 07:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Aaron Ramsey 'approached by Fulham for season-long loan from Arsenal'

Fulham boss Mark Hughes is said to have been in touch with Arsenal over the possibility of taking midfielder Aaron Ramsey on a season-long loan in 2011/12.

Aaron Ramsey: Training but not playing games (Pic: Graham Chadwick)

The Welsh international midfielder has only recently returned from a serious leg injury and was loaned out to Championship sides Nottingham Forest and Cardiff City earlier this season as part of his rehab.

Now Ramsey, 20, is back at Arsenal but has struggled to break into the first-team, and looks certain to continue playing second fiddle to the Gunners' latest midfield starlet - Jack Wilshere.

The newly-capped 19-year-old has been the standout player in Arsene Wenger's squad this season, with impressive displays at home and in Europe.

And Ramsey looks set to be stuck on the sidelines - especially as Wilshere's scintillating form has coincided with Samir Nasri's emergence as one of the Premier League's top playmakers and the increasing likelihood captain Cesc Fabregas will snub Barcelona to remain at Arsenal again next season.

Ramsey is thought to be interested in discussing the possibility of a move to Fulham, as it will offer him a greater chance of regular games as well as the chance to work with one of his boyhood heroes - former Wales captain Mark Hughes.

If Arsene Wenger agrees to the deal, he would likely want assurances Ramsey would play regularly.

However, one possible stumbling block could be Fulham's desire to have a clause inserted in the loan agreement that allows for a permanent move if the temporary switch is deemed a success.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/861541-aaron-ramsey-approached-by-fulham-for-season-long-loan#ixzz1KBHDWmpD

WhiteJC

http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2011/04/22/wolves-v-fulham-preview-steve-sidwell-finally-makes-it-to-molin/?

Wolves v Fulham Preview: Steve Sidwell Finally Makes it to Molineux

Time is running out for Wolverhampton and, after a fortnight break from action, Mick McCarthy's team resume their Premier League fight for survival in the worst possible shape.

Having seen their game against Stoke City postponed due to the Potters' FA Cup semi-final, the Molineux men have been forced to stew on their demoralising 3-0 defeat to Everton for far longer than they would have preferred.

Last weekend's games made more painful viewing as Wigan's win over Blackpool enabled the Latics to send Wolves to the foot of the table and, although the Midlands club have as good a run-in as any of the teams under threat, the form book tends to go out of the window when it comes to McCarthy's team.

First up is a Fulham side who have won on their Premier League travels just once all season and, on 38 points, are still at least another victory away from securing their own safety.

The game is certain to have added spice given it is the first time the sides have met since Cottagers striker Bobby Zamora had his leg broken in a challenge with Wolves skipper Karl Henry and then, days later, Fulham's Danny Murphy accused Wolves being among a cluster of clubs who send out 'pumped-up' players.

It will also be the first occasion Steve Sidwell, who pulled the plug on a move to Molineux in favour of the Cottagers at the 11th hour, visits Wanderers since breaking Adlene Guedioura's leg while playing for Aston Villa, so a potentially feisty afternoon awaits.

KEY MATCH-UP: Sylvan Ebanks-Blake v Brede Hangeland
With Kevin Doyle still sidelined, the lion's share of the goalscoring burden falls on the shoulders of Ebanks-Blake, who is the club's leading scorer in the Premier League this term with seven goals. Most of those have come during cameo appearances off the bench, however, with the onus now on the former Manchester United man to deliver from the start. Strong, quick and powerful, the stocky striker has the ammunition to cause classy Cottagers centre-back Hangeland problems on the deck, but the Norway international should have the edge in the air in what promises to be a closely-contested tussle.

FORM GUIDE: Fulham have been in inconsistent form of late, winning two, losing two and drawing one in their last five games, while Wolverhampton have seen a four-match unbeaten run halted abruptly in their last two outings, conceding four at Newcastle and three against Everton.

ODDS: Wolverhampton 6-4, Fulham 9-5, Draw 9-4

WOLVERHAMPTON:
Wolverhampton manager Mick McCarthy believes it is a blessing in disguise they missed out on Fulham's Sidwell - because they would have never signed Jamie O'Hara.

Having undergone a medical on deadline day, Sidwell stunned the Molineux club by pulling the plug on a loan move at the 11th hour in favour of a return south with the Cottagers.

He was this week handed a three-year contract by manager Mark Hughes, yet McCarthy has no regrets over how events have materialised after landing O'Hara from Tottenham.

"Had Sidwell signed on loan, Jamie wouldn't have come," said McCarthy. "Irrespective of how I felt, or what I said or what I did, it is one of those occasions where things have worked out right for us because we got a really good player."

"That's why he went. He lives in London and the agreement was the rest of this season and three more."

Meanwhile, Henry insists he is looking forward to welcoming Henry back to Molineux.

He said: "I'm delighted to see him back, even though he's clearly going to be a threat for Fulham on Saturday. It's never nice to see any player pick up a broken leg or another nasty injury. I'm really pleased to see him back looking sharp and scoring goals and I'm sure he'll be back in the England squad soon."

Strategy: McCarthy has already confirmed that Stephen Ward will replace the injured George Elokobi at left-back, leaving his main dilemma up front. The Wolves manager traded his usual 4-5-1 formation for a more positive 4-4-2 against Everton a fortnight ago only for his team to find themselves 3-0 down at half-time. Therefore, it would not be a huge surprise if he were to revert to a five-man field on Saturday, for the first half at least, with Nenad Milijas a likely beneficiary.

Injury Update: Stephen Hunt could make the bench after returning to full training following a hernia operation, while Kevin Doyle (knee) and David Edwards (back) miss out again but have commenced light training. Elokobi (hamstring) faces at least another two weeks on the sidelines.

FULHAM:
Fulham are part of a group of clubs who could be dragged back into a relegation battle but for the meantime, their manager Hughes, is focused on getting into the top 10.

However, he admits his side could struggle against a Wolves' side whose performances this season are not reflected by their position in the table.

He said: "Wolves have had some fantastic results against the top sides and on their day can beat anybody.

"We are very mindful of that and their home form is good, so it will be a difficult trip for us.

"But I think [our Premier League safety] is in our own hands and as the games get ticked off, it gets more difficult for those teams who are down the bottom.

"You can look at the fixtures that those teams have left, but the games are running out for them.

"This year it is difficult to call [on who will go down], but we are playing okay and looking upwards, but you still have to be mindful of what is going on around you."

Strategy: Fulham are expected to make one change from the team that was soundly beaten by Manchester United on their last outing. Sidwell is likely to be restored to the centre of midfield to partner Murphy in a 4-4-2 system. Much of Fulham's possession will pass through the duo to Zamora, who will look to hold the ball up and play in his team mates.

Injury Update: Damien Duff is rated as extremely doubtful after he picked up an Achilles problem. Hughes has no other new injuries to contend with.

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/49077/wolves-vs-fulham/preview

Wolves - Fulham Preview: Visitors target first win at Molineux since 1985
Bottom of the table hosts look for vital three points that could lift them out of the relegation zone, while Mark Hughes' side can tale a huge step towards safety with a victory

PROBABLE LINE-UPS
Wolves: Hennessey; Foley, Berra, Stearman, Elokobi; Jarvis, Henry, Milija, O'Hara; Ebanks-Blake, Fletcher.   

Fulham: Schwarzer; Baird, Hughes, Hangeland, Salcido; Dempsey, Murphy, Etuhu, Kakuta; Zamora, Dembele.

DID YOU KNOW?
Of the five Premier League meetings between the two sides, Fulham have won only once. Wolves have beaten the Londoners 2-1 on two occasions and there have been two goalless draws.

Of the 77 meetings between the two sides throughout history in all competitions, Wolves have won 35 compared to Fulham's 23, with 19 draws.

Fulham haven't beaten Wolves at Molineux since April 27 1985, when they ran out convincing 4-0 winners.

Over their last two games, Wolves have conceded seven goals, in 3-0 and 4-1 defeats to Everton and Newcastle United respectively.

Wigan's victory over Blackpool last weekend meant Wolves were left at the bottom of the Premier League table, but they have a game in hand on the six teams above them.

Despite being eight places above Wolves, Fulham are a mere six points ahead of their opponents on Saturday, having played as many games.

Moussa Dembele's two goals in the meeting between these sides back in September were his first strikes in the Premier League.

However, Dembele has failed to score in league action since - his other goals came in a League Cup victory over Port Vale and the 4-0 thrashing of Tottenham in the FA Cup.

Dembele's likely striker partner Bobby Zamora, who recently recovered from a broken leg sustained against Wolves, has scored three goals in the last four games.

Despite being bottom of the table, Wolves have scored as many goals as Fulham, but they have conceded 56 goals, compared to their opponents' 35.

LAST MEETING

September 11, 2010: Fulham 2-1 Wolves

Two Moussa Dembele goals handed Fulham a win despite Jelle van Damme's opener after 10 minutes, but the game was overshadowed by Bobby Zamora suffering a broken leg under a challenge from Karl Henry. Cristophe Berra was sent off in stoppage time, and Dembele's free-kick sealed the win.

WhiteJC

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/vale/portvalenews/Port-Vale-Grew-warns-Fulham-young-star-Lloyd/article-3478339-detail/article.html?

Port Vale: Grew warns Fulham over young star Lloyd
TRIAL DATE: Ryan Lloyd will spend a week with Premier League side Fulham, who won't buy him on the cheap.

MARK Grew has warned Premier League side Fulham not to try to sign Ryan Lloyd on the cheap after they handed the Vale youth star a week's trial.

The 17-year-old winger, from Newcastle, is coming to the end of the first year of his two-year youth deal and will link up with Cottagers on May 1.

But Vale's caretaker boss and head of youth, said: "We've had Ryan since he was playing at under-nines level, so it's probably cost us between £30,000 to £40,000 to bring him through.

"If clubs think they can offer a similar amount for him, then they have got another thing coming.

"Clubs can have a look, but they have to be realistic.

"Ryan is under contract and any valuation would be between us and Fulham.

"But he's only going on trial and there has been no talk over money.

"They will have a look at him and will come back to us if they fancy him.

"But they shouldn't think they can get him on the cheap because it's taken a lot of hard work to get him this far."

Despite Grew's warning he praised Fulham's conduct, by adding: "Fulham haven't tried to poach Ryan and go through the back-door.

"They e-mailed the chairman and did it the way we expected them to – that's all you ask of the top clubs.

"The fact Ryan is going on trial at Fulham is a great reflection on our youth policy.

"It will be nice for him to see what it's like in a Premier League environment and hopefully that will inspire the rest of lads."

Meanwhile, Grew admits contract hopefuls including Gary Roberts and Kris Taylor will have to wait until the end of the season to discover if they are to be offered new deals.

The temporary boss has offered new contracts to Doug Loft, Gareth Owen and Adam Yates, but added: "I want to concentrate on football.

"I also don't know who will be manager next season, so there is no use me taking these players on and then a new manager not wanting them, that wouldn't be fair."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1379540/Wolves-v-FULHAM-Damien-Duff-hampered-injury-ahead-Molineux-clash.html?

Wolves v FULHAM: Damien Duff still hampered with injury ahead of Molineux clash

Fulham boss Mark Hughes is almost but resigned to being without Damien Duff again for Saturday's Barclays Premier League game at Wolves.

Duff is still troubled by the achilles injury that forced him to miss the defeat at Manchester United a fortnight ago but should be back for Wednesday night's match with Bolton.

Achilles heel: Duff (left) is set to miss out again
Hughes has no fresh injury concerns, with Philippe Senderos still working his way back to full fitness after missing the entire season to date.

Team (from): Schwarzer, Baird, Hangeland, Hughes, Salcido, Etuhu, Duff, Davies, Murphy, Sidwell, Dempsey, Dembele, Zamora, Johnson, Stockdale, Kelly, Gudjohnsen, Kakuta.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1379540/Wolves-v-FULHAM-Damien-Duff-hampered-injury-ahead-Molineux-clash.html#ixzz1KFK3r65z

WhiteJC

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/wolves/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/04/20/SOCCER_Wolves.html

SUB-PLOTS IRRELEVANT - McCARTHY

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy has urged his players to focus on the football and not the sub-plots for Saturday's Barclays Premier League clash with Fulham.

Wolves' 2-1 defeat at Craven Cottage in September was overshadowed when Bobby Zamora sustained a broken leg following a challenge from captain Karl Henry.

Soon after Fulham midfielder Danny Murphy caused outrage when he accused some managers of pumping up their players before sending them out into a game.

Specifically mentioning Wolves, Blackburn and Stoke, Murphy claimed the players were under orders to stop other teams from playing, and that "no brains" were involved when it came to some tackles.

Throw in the additional fact Adlene Guedioura faces Steve Sidwell for the first time since his leg was broken in September following a tackle from the midfielder, who was then with Aston Villa, and there is plenty to spice up the occasion.

McCarthy, however, has reminded his players there is only one subject that deserves any attention, and that is the bottom-of-the-table club's battle to beat the drop.

"I think you'll find that staying up is the bigger story with me. I'm not bothered about anything else," McCarthy told Wolves' website.

"People can always find something in any game, such as one player went to school with someone else, so-and-so went out with someone else's girlfriend, or another player suffered a bad tackle from him or somebody got booked or sent off.

"There is always a sub-plot which the media all like, but it goes right over my head.

"None of that garbage washes with me at all because I played enough games against enough people to know there were sub-plots in all of those.

"You just go and play. I don't think players think too much about all that, and Fulham are a good side.

"I expect a really hard, difficult Premier League game. I watched a DVD of their game against Manchester United [2-0 defeat on April 9] and they did all right.

"They've good footballers, but I'm sure people will drag up Danny Murphy and all of his comments.

"I'm sure people will look to drag the backside out of that one, but as usual I'm not interested in talking about it."

As for Guedioura, who spent just over six months on the sidelines before returning to action in a 3-0 home defeat to Everton earlier this month, McCarthy insists there is no lingering ill will.

"It happens - Adlene was most gracious about it," added McCarthy.

"He's back playing and that's all that really matters. I never griped about it and I haven't changed my view on it either."

WhiteJC

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/cottagers-in-guimaraes-winger-link-1201917.html?

Cottagers in Guimaraes winger link

Fulham boss Mark Hughes is being linked with another swoop for Vitoria de Guimaraes' Portuguese midfielder Joao Ribeiro.

The Welsh tactician was reportedly plotting a swoop for the 23-year-old during the January transfer window, but held off while the Cottagers' Premier League future was still in the balance.

However, with Fulham now sitting in 12th position and five points clear of the drop zone with five games remaining, it seems Hughes is now casting one eye towards his summer transfer plans.

Portuguese newspaper O'Jogo is reporting that scouts have recently been sent from the west London club to watch Ribeiro in action.

If Hughes steps up his interest in the winger, who is contracted to Vitoria de Guimaraes until 2013, he will have to pay out around £2.5million.

Meanwhile, the agent of Espanyol striker Dani Osvaldo, who has been linked with a move to Fulham amongst other clubs, insists he wants to stay at his current club in Spain's Primera Liga.

Dario Decoud said: "There is time to consider the situation, there is a month before they open the market.
"His idea is to stay here, but it is his future and he must decide what to do."

WhiteJC

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/wolves-fc-news/2011/04/22/adlene-guedioura-has-no-problem-with-steve-sidwell-97319-28567031/?

Adlene Guedioura has no problem with Steve Sidwell

ADLENE Guedioura has played down the significance of coming face-to-face with Steve Sidwell – eight months after having his leg broken by him.

Sidwell arrives at Molineux tomorrow with his Fulham side having injured Guedioura while with Villa. "There's no problem at all as I said at the time – it's all forgotten,'' said the fit-again Algerian. "It's all in the past and I'm looking forward now, nothing else.

"I'm feeling good. It was good to get back against Everton but that game has gone now and we are all looking forward to the next ones against Fulham, Stoke and Birmingham. These last couple of weeks have given us the chance to work hard on certain things to make sure we are ready for the game.

"Sometimes it's good to be playing every week but other times like now it's good to be able to spend time in training and rectify some of the details to our games to be ready for the next game. The next three games are all massive and, to be honest, the last six are like six-pointers because they are against teams closer to us in the table.

"If we could win them then not only does it help us but also damage the opposition as well.

"Hopefully we can start it all off with a win against Fulham."

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/wolves-fc-news/2011/04/22/adlene-guedioura-has-no-problem-with-steve-sidwell-97319-28567031/?#ixzz1KFM6R6AB

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6888993,00.html?

Fulham eye Fiorentina ace
Hughes weighs up Santana deal

Skysports.com understands Fulham are lining up a move for Fiorentina midfielder Mario Santana.

Santana's current deal expires at the end of the season and he is expected to leave the Artemio Franchi.

The 29-year-old has established himself as a key member of the Fiorentina side since arriving from Palermo in 2006.

However, Santana has been unable to agree a new deal and he is believed to be interested in finding a new club.

The news has alerted a number of clubs across Europe to Santana's availability on a free transfer this summer.

Fulham are now weighing up a move for the former Argentina international as Mark Hughes looks to bolster his squad for next season.

Hughes is scouring the transfer market and Santana's Bosman status makes him an attractive proposition to the Cottagers chief.

Santana has been linked with a move to England in the past with Tottenham credited with an interest in the winger, but now Fulham could offer the South American the chance to ply his trade in the Premier League.

White Noise

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2011/04/22/karl-henry-tells-danny-murphy-to-keep-quiet/

Karl Henry tells Danny Murphy to keep quiet

Friday 22nd April 2011, 11:30AM BST.

Captain Karl Henry today insisted Danny Murphy should mind his own business as Wolves focused on survival.

Fulham visit Molineux tomorrow with Henry admitting he was affected by Bobby Zamora's broken leg following his challenge in September.

That incident sparked Murphy's comments that teams such as Wolves were 'too pumped up'.

Zamora, who shares the same agent as Henry, has since made a full recovery, scoring three goals in four Premier League games since returning in February.

And Henry said: "I think Danny Murphy should worry about himself and his team and no-one else's.

"When you're talking about an injury to a player, it's not something you easily brush off. I spoke to Bobby when it happened and I've spoken to him since and I'm really pleased to see he's fully fit and scoring goals.

"I hope he gets back in the England squad soon and he seems to have picked up where he left off, so I'm really pleased."

Although affected by Zamora's injury, Henry will not be distracted from Wolves' need for points in the battle to stay up once the game gets underway.

"I'm fine and I'll play my normal game and make sure I do what I do best," he said.

"I'm not worrying about anything else but the bigger picture, which is that we're bottom of the league and we need to get out of trouble."

Henry's stance on Murphy was backed up by Fulham boss Mark Hughes, who warned his player is in for a hot reception at Molineux and was wrong to make the comments.

"Danny might get a bit of a reception," said Hughes. "The mistake he made was to single out the respective clubs."

Wolves midfielder Adlene Guedioura suffered a broken leg in the same month as Zamora, from a tackle by Fulham's then-Villa midfielder Steve Sidwell. "These things happen in football — we all know there's a chance you might come off injured," said Henry.

Read more: http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2011/04/22/karl-henry-tells-danny-murphy-to-keep-quiet/#ixzz1KFQfPUz0

White Noise

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/52867/Hughes_reignites_Ribeiro_interest.aspx

Hughes reignites Ribeiro interest

Author:  Andrew Allen

Posted on:22 April 2011 - 11:10 AM

Vitoria de Guimaraes' Portuguese midfielder Joao Ribeiro is again said to be a target of Fulham boss Mark Hughes.

The Welsh tactician was reportedly plotting a swoop for the 23-year-old during the January transfer window, but held off while the Cottagers' Premier League future was still in the balance.

However, with Fulham now sitting in 12th position and five points clear of the drop zone with five games remaining, it seems Hughes is now casting one eye towards his summer transfer plans.

Portuguese newspaper O'Jogo is reporting that scouts have recently been sent from the west London club to watch Ribeiro in action.

If Hughes steps up his interest in the winger, who is contracted to Vitoria de Guimaraes until 2013, he will have to pay out around £2.5million.

Meanwhile, the agent of Espanyol striker Dani Osvaldo, who has been linked with a move to Fulham amongst other clubs, insists he wants to stay at his current club in Spain's Primera Liga.

Dario Decoud said: "There is time to consider the situation, there is a month before they open the market.

"His idea is to stay here, but it is his future and he must decide what to do."

Mr Fulham

http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20110422/rob-milsom-signs-deal-with-dons_2212158_2344450

Rob Milsom signs deal with Dons

Following yesterday's positive news about the Dons new kit deal with global sports brand adidas, Aberdeen FC is this morning delighted to announce Rob Milsom has signed a 2 year deal with the club.

The 24 year old, a product of Fulham FC Youth Academy, was brought to Pittodrie by Craig Brown in January to bolster the Dons midfield.

Rob has since become a stalwart in the heart of the Dons midfield and scored his first goal for the club against St Mirren last month.

"We are very pleased that Rob Milsom has signed a contract to stay with the club. That is excellent for Aberdeen Football Club and he has made a good impact since he has come. All the correspondence and information I get from the fans is that he is a very popular player here. Certainly very popular in the dressing room and with the staff so we are delighted about that signing."