News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

If we were to include all NFR (Not Football Related) posts into this section...

Started by LBNo11, February 23, 2010, 02:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

...would anybody be upset?

I ask as this section has a wide range of subjects on here already, and I would like to see the General Category for Fulham only.

I don't want it to be seen as a comment/reflection on Exiles and Overseas visitors or their posts.

What I don't want to see is a another 'section/board' for every different possible category.

Your thoughts/agreement/objections please...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

TonyGilroy

If you have a seperate non FFC section the nutters, bigots and axe grinders will soon dominate it.

Better, I think, to stay as is because non FFC posts are very much in the minority and if they become OTT it presumably is easy enough for the mods to close that particular thread without interfering with other topics.

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

LBNo11

...yes, I agree we don't want another section as I said in the post - but what I was asking is if all NFR posts were re-directed to this section, voluntarily or with my own special magic powers, would there be any objection, apologies if I did not make myself clear...

Logicalman

LB,

I can understand the need to separate the NFR from Fulham stuff, but I do think that it would devalue the Exiles section, inasmuch that it would no longer exist as such.

Perhaps rename the general Discussion to 'Fulham Related', and the Exiles to 'Non Fulham Related'.

I just cannot see how the names can remain, when the exiles area will be overrun with threads about Fullers Beer, Ruby's, John Terry's greatest shags and Argentina invading the Falklands.

Logicalman

Quote from: LBNo11 on February 23, 2010, 02:16:13 PM
...would anybody be upset?

I ask as this section has a wide range of subjects on here already, and I would like to see the General Category for Fulham only.

I don't want it to be seen as a comment/reflection on Exiles and Overseas visitors or their posts.

What I don't want to see is a another 'section/board' for every different possible category.

Your thoughts/agreement/objections please...

Er, minor point, but the header mentions NFR (Not Football Related), and your text says .. General Category for Fulham only. As you know, if I were Lighthouse I would be demanding devolution from the EU by now, but as I'm not, I won't.

RidgeRider

El Bee,

I am not going to be very helpful, cause I can't make up my mind, but it does de-value the Exiles idea and area, as Tony suggested. The main board works fine the way it does, but there must be someone not loving having non-Football stuff in the main area. Thing is, i don't think there is a whole lot of those threads out there...most of them started by Fat Fred  :P. not mention I totally respect nearly everything that Mr.Gilroy and Mr. Finn say, they make good points.

What if you redirected to a third section, and then had someone Moderate that section as their main contribution? Thus keeping a Football Only, Non-Football, and Exiles. I think the Exiles section has mostly non-Football threads because if we want to talk football, we go to the main section.

You could always try your idea and see what it does to the Exiles section but I am sort of torn on this one and think maybe just having a third section might be a better solution.

My two cents.

finnster01

Jack,
I like your points but remember it isn't your 2 cents, it is 2 pennies mate  ;D

Logicalman

Quote from: finnster01 on February 24, 2010, 03:38:34 AM
Jack,
I like your points but remember it isn't your 2 cents, it is 2 pennies mate  ;D

Good point Mr Finn, and 2 pennies are worth around 3 cents.

LBNo11

...I was greatly influenced by the philosophy of a planner involved in designing a university campus in the USA. When all the buildings had been built all other ground areas were grassed over and no solid walkways put in place.

One year later they looked at all the worn out grass that had been made by the students making their way between buildings using the shortest routes, and only then made solid walkways.

I will use the same template here. Thank you to those who contributed to this discussion. I will lock this post in about one week pending others thoughts on the matter...

White Noise

There are times when having a good NFR (Non Fulham/Non Football Related) post is an enjoyable, if guilty pleasure.

I don't see the harm in having a seprate NFR section on the board to take us up to 4 sections.

Part of the pleasure of NFR's is that you are discussing them with a decent bunch of people. You could go on a beer site or a winter olympics site but you know the nature of the people on here (broadly speaking) and what sort of stuff works on doesn't and that you will mostly get witty and intelligent input.

I can see that it would compromise the identity of this Exiles section so build a separate block just for NFR's. That way the Mods could just move anything NFR posted in the main section, or anywhere else, into the NFR section as they do on Cottage Corner.

Almost none of the NFR's on here are political or religious and the Mods do a very good job in jumping on imappropruate posts or posters so I don't think a dedicated NFR section would bring problems. Almost every football messageboard you look at has some sort of NFR section.

When you look at what has been posted on here in NFR terms its all pretty harmless -

Winter Olympics, Welsh Andy in golf buggy, Fullers ESB appreciation, Car insurance, Full moon/Mars, Famous people dying, Great underwear debate, Welsh film industry, Cats grey in the dark etc etc.

Some of my favourite threads (as listed on the old board if you recall) were NFR's and there are times when the football tempo dips and a bit of NFR nonsense is good fun.

I recognise that posts about Fray Bentos pies and Ian Carmichael popping his clogs maybe confuse and detract from the Fulham content that most people come on here for - so make that Fulham only and have a NFR section.

TonyGilroy

But don't you lose the variety if the non FFC posts are put into a seperate section?

I reckon that fewer than 1 in 4 topics at present are non FFC and I don't see that there's a problem in mixing them in with the rest.

Personally I like clicking on "unread posts" and seeing what's of interest and don't see the point in having to browse seperately for non FFC stuff.

White Noise

Yes, it would make it more one dimensional as a read but I guess some people like to just have Fulham and football stuff to read without the asides.

You also tend to get more 'banter' and humour in NFR threads.

As you say through its not like you have trawl through lots of NFR stuff to find the Fulham material but how do you stop the NFR posts growing in number and changing the nature of the main board?

finnster01

Again, I have to say I agree with Mr Tony.

I am guilty of creating some of these threads, but it is a spur of the moment thing because I am comfortable with site and more specifically the community, and it almost never creates anything other than some good humorous banter and very intelligent responses. It mixes things up a bit, and above all it creates "liquidity" in the sense of more posts and volume.

If those threads are taken away, there will be less "new posts", people are less likely to do a refresh/F5 to see what just has been posted. I do not think the odd NFR thread dilutes the overall product. In fact in slow periods, it actually adds to it. I think a complete NFR "free" site would become boring and lose it's charm. But I guess there is a limit to everything. Again, that is just my opinion.

By the way, why isn't this thread listed as a NFR in the first place?  

TonyGilroy

My view is that you deal with that if and when it happens.

I doubt many of us would be happy if non FFC stuff swamped the board but its natural that during the Olympics we'll be talking about that and, God help us, about politics during the election but those are temporary phenomena.

If non FFC stuff starts to dominate the mods might have to ban certain topics or hive them off to sub boards but I hope that doesn't happen.

Logicalman

I guess the good thing is that members here tend not to start new threads about the same topic over and over again, and such discipline helps to keep the MB 'clean'.

Notice the difference though between the Exiles and General boards, inasmuch that anything Fulham-related gets put on the latter, and only non-UK based and Non-Fulham items get placed on the exiles side.

I guess "don't mend what ain't broken" comes to mind, but keep it in review.

HatterDon

Quote from: LBNo11 on February 24, 2010, 11:00:35 AM
...I was greatly influenced by the philosophy of a planner involved in designing a university campus in the USA. When all the buildings had been built all other ground areas were grassed over and no solid walkways put in place.

One year later they looked at all the worn out grass that had been made by the students making their way between buildings using the shortest routes, and only then made solid walkways.

and this is the method you used when deciding on your hairstyle?

Oh, and I don't think a NFR section is a good idea, as explained by so many above.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel