https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Popery, where do you stand?

Started by Lighthouse, April 27, 2011, 11:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

Mr. Finn,
You get a taxi to work??? :tom:
Must be doing well. I thought I was doing ok back in London when I moved to the first class carriages for my commute from Berkshire.
Religion, oh yes! Couldn't care less. The root of too many problems. I have no need. Don't lie, don't cheat or steal and don't put anyone down. What else do you need. certainly not the invisible man in the sky. Politicians please take note :029:

Scrumpy

I am absolutely not religious, but I think religions have produced as many good things as bad.

Hundreds of years ago, if you're a King/Lord in charge of a country that consists of 200,000 heathens, then how the hell are you supposed to keep order? Should you go down the route whereby people who step out of line are very severely punished (ie rule by fear) or introduce a handy religion whereby people aspire to be 'good' and all tow the line that way. Surely a 'God fearing' society is better than a dictatorship?

Religions have moved people to build some of the most incredible buildings in the world, and kept many societies 'civilised' for years and years.

Has anyone else noticed that the more we discover about the World around us, and so the less mysteries there are to us and the less we therefore believe in God, the less civilised a society we have become?
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Scrumpy on April 27, 2011, 01:26:27 PM
I am absolutely not religious, but I think religions have produced as many good things as bad.

Hundreds of years ago, if you're a King/Lord in charge of a country that consists of 200,000 heathens, then how the hell are you supposed to keep order? Should you go down the route whereby people who step out of line are very severely punished (ie rule by fear) or introduce a handy religion whereby people aspire to be 'good' and all tow the line that way. Surely a 'God fearing' society is better than a dictatorship?

Religions have moved people to build some of the most incredible buildings in the world, and kept many societies 'civilised' for years and years.

Has anyone else noticed that the more we discover about the World around us, and so the less mysteries there are to us and the less we therefore believe in God, the less civilised a society we have become?

I would argue that we have only become more civilised as time has passed.

I would also question Religions role in the development of morality and its ever changing boundaries. The Greek Philosophers gave us much of the rationale and reasoning that we use today and enlightenment era rejection of religion for a more rationalist approach helped to finish the job.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on April 27, 2011, 01:40:25 PM

I would also question Religions role in the development of morality and its ever changing boundaries. The Greek Philosophers gave us much of the rationale and reasoning that we use today and enlightenment era rejection of religion for a more rationalist approach helped to finish the job.

What makes you think we're more civilized?

We're still horrible to each other, we're just better at rationalising it to ourselves.

Lighthouse

Quote from: WhiteJC on April 27, 2011, 01:06:00 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on April 27, 2011, 11:44:34 AM

Mary Queen of Scots was also called Mary and was beheaded because her supporters were plotting to oust Liz. What ties the MARYS TOGETHER?

did they both have "free Tibet" t-shirts?

:011: Oh so close. No, I was looking for string. OK found some. Just about wraps it up.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

jarv

:011: :011: excellent Mr. LH.  Some good threads this morning (it is a.m. in America).

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: ImperialWhite on April 27, 2011, 01:48:57 PM

We're still horrible to each other, we're just better at rationalising it to ourselves.

I think we are more civilised at this point than any other point in our history - I am not saying that humans are perfect, just that comparably we are more civilised. Most of this is down to mass education of the populace.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Bloody Hell Beamer
You throw a wobbley and storm off when you upset people last time and one of first posts back is about the Pope??????? are you really mental or just trolling??? It's kicking off in Glasgow and Northern Ireland and you think it's a good time to talk religion????

sometimes a wonder why I keep coming back here I really do :029:

The Doctor

ImperialWhite

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on April 27, 2011, 01:58:17 PM

I think we are more civilised at this point than any other point in our history - I am not saying that humans are perfect, just that comparably we are more civilised. Most of this is down to mass education of the populace.

Last decade:

9/11 - 3000 dead
War in Afghanistan - 14-34k civilians dead
War in Iraq - 100-150k civilians dead
Congo holocaust - 4 million dead

Last century:
WW1, WW2, the holocaust, the Cold War.

We grasp any opportunity to be horrible to each other as technology improves with both hands.

Humans will never be civilised, no matter how well educated/atheist/secular/'rational'.

(Sorry mods, I'll stop now!)

The Equalizer

2011 - The Only Way Is Essex airs on TV and proves that some parts of the world will never be civilised.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

ImperialWhite

Quote from: The Equalizer on April 27, 2011, 02:15:31 PM
2011 - The Only Way Is Essex airs on TV and proves that some parts of the world will never be civilised.

:011:

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: ImperialWhite on April 27, 2011, 02:13:34 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on April 27, 2011, 01:58:17 PM

Last decade:

9/11 - 3000 dead
War in Afghanistan - 14-34k civilians dead
War in Iraq - 100-150k civilians dead
Congo holocaust - 4 million dead

Last century:
WW1, WW2, the holocaust, the Cold War.

We grasp any opportunity to be horrible to each other as technology improves with both hands.

Humans will never be civilised, no matter how well educated/atheist/secular/'rational'.

(Sorry mods, I'll stop now!)

With increased technology comes increased methods of spreading death.

However, I still believe in Human Progress - Universal Human Rights (however ineffective) show at least a trend or willingness towards civilisation.

Gozorich

Imagine the quality of these debates (including the one on Royalty) on Tiff or Cottage Corner...??? :047:

Peabody

I would arge that in years gone by when these magnificent structures were erected, in the name of organised religion, the people who built them, worked under constant fear and indeed a certain ignorance concerning their religious education. Now I have a football match to attend.

HatterDon

I see several calls in this thread for the Mods to shut it down. The only way this is GUARANTEED to happen is for a Yank -- and this one expecially -- to post on it.

I just have.

You're welcome.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

FatFreddysCat

I'll give this one a swerve  :dft012:

michaelread

Religion. Blergh. As Brad Gaffin said, "Life begins when you accept your fate"

Take it as you will.

FatFreddysCat

If i was a young alter boy i'd be standing with my back against the wall. Padlock key  :015:

Blingo

If you were an altar boy, I would go to church lol