watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Too early to talk Gold Cup????

Started by HatterDon, April 28, 2011, 04:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Too early to get excited that CD9 is leading the MLS in scoring?

Are you ready for some summer fitba?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Tom

CD9 is doing well. I think and hope he deserves to make the Gold Cup roster. I want to see him on the national seen again. He has great speed up top and we need that.
Fulham for life!

Steve_orino

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

I'm intrigued by a forward duo of Davies & Agudelo (just not sold on Altidore)!  If only Holden weren't injured so he could pick out a pass to either of them...

Maybe a decent year by Davies will allow for other 'on the cusp' Americans to return...Altidore, Adu, any others???

We need to win the Copa del Oro - I want a Confederations Cup appearance!
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Tom

Quote from: Steve_orino on April 29, 2011, 02:51:35 AM

I'm intrigued by a forward duo of Davies & Agudelo (just not sold on Altidore)!  If only Holden weren't injured so he could pick out a pass to either of them...

Maybe a decent year by Davies will allow for other 'on the cusp' Americans to return...Altidore, Adu, any others???

Adu, never again.
Fulham for life!

BarryP

Quote from: Tom on April 29, 2011, 04:22:06 AM

Adu, never again.

So you would bid adieu to Adu?
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

HatterDon

nothing wrong with Jozy in a 4-2-2 or a 4-3-3. He just doesn't quite get the purpose of a 4-5-1. He tends to win possession and then go for goal even if it means beating 3 defenders one after another. Answer? DON'T USE JOZY IN A 4-5-1.

We're really pretty fat with strikers once CD9 is back, but a guy like Agudelo and CD9 make Jozy positively dangerous. If we'd have had a full-strength CD9 in South Africa, we'd have caused some serious

Tom

Quote from: BarryP on April 29, 2011, 04:45:21 AM
Quote from: Tom on April 29, 2011, 04:22:06 AM

Adu, never again.

So you would bid adieu to Adu?
Hell yeah! He isn't that good.
Fulham for life!

Tom

Quote from: HatterDon on April 29, 2011, 04:54:41 AM

We're really pretty fat with strikers once CD9 is back, but a guy like Agudelo and CD9 make Jozy positively dangerous. If we'd have had a full-strength CD9 in South Africa, we'd have caused some serious
I agree with you Don.
Fulham for life!

clintclintdeuce

The Dude abides.

Tom

One of the goalies for mexico was kicked off the roster for the Gold Cup for head butting the other teams trainer yesterday. :tom: is up with that?
Fulham for life!

Tom

CD9 got hurt on Saturday and had to come out of the game with a hamstring injury. Bob Bradley was at the game scouting him to boot. Don't know how it will affect his chances of making the roster now. I hope he is healthy enough in time to play in the cup. Get well soon Charlie! I think Bradley is going to release the roster later this week.
Fulham for life!

HatterDon

Look for yet another Houston-born player to make the squad. Norwich's center back Zak Whitbread to make that position his during the gold Cup. A Liverpool trainee, he was part of the all youth team lineup that was defeated at Anfield by a lower division team in one of the cup competitiions a few years back. Despite the fact that he played very well, he was for the chop.

He played brilliantly for Millwall, but missed the better part of two seasons -- and the last World Cup -- through injury. I think it says a lot about him that Norwich signed him even though he was crocked. He had a lot to do with Norwich's promotion to the Prem. He's big, strong, and elegant. I think he and Goodson are probably our CB pairing for 2012 and beyond.

Tom

Quote from: HatterDon on May 17, 2011, 05:41:36 AM
Look for yet another Houston-born player to make the squad. Norwich's center back Zak Whitbread to make that position his during the gold Cup. A Liverpool trainee, he was part of the all youth team lineup that was defeated at Anfield by a lower division team in one of the cup competitiions a few years back. Despite the fact that he played very well, he was for the chop.

He played brilliantly for Millwall, but missed the better part of two seasons -- and the last World Cup -- through injury. I think it says a lot about him that Norwich signed him even though he was crocked. He had a lot to do with Norwich's promotion to the Prem. He's big, strong, and elegant. I think he and Goodson are probably our CB pairing for 2012 and beyond.
I look forward to seeing Whitbread play Don! Goodson is good and will be a fixture on the roster going forward.
Fulham for life!

Steve_orino

From an article I was reading:

Davies injured, Gold Cup in doubt

It was supposed to be a golden opportunity, but Charlie Davies saw his chance to impress U.S. head coach Bob Bradley in person end early as a hamstring injury forced him to leave D.C. United's 1-1 tie versus Colorado in the first half. He is now set to miss a few weeks with the injury.

The setback could cost Davies his chance at a spot on the U.S. Gold Cup roster, something he had moved closer to after scoring a league-leading six goals to start the season. Now, with his injury, Davies may not make the cut on a roster expected to be released later this week.

With the Gold Cup set to begin in three weeks, Bradley could bring Davies in for a closer look, especially with fellow Gold Cup roster candidate Juan Agudelo earning limited minutes with the New York Red Bulls, and there being so few speed forward options in the national team pool.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Tom

Quote from: Steve_orino on May 17, 2011, 01:48:10 PM
From an article I was reading:

Davies injured, Gold Cup in doubt

It was supposed to be a golden opportunity, but Charlie Davies saw his chance to impress U.S. head coach Bob Bradley in person end early as a hamstring injury forced him to leave D.C. United's 1-1 tie versus Colorado in the first half. He is now set to miss a few weeks with the injury.

The setback could cost Davies his chance at a spot on the U.S. Gold Cup roster, something he had moved closer to after scoring a league-leading six goals to start the season. Now, with his injury, Davies may not make the cut on a roster expected to be released later this week.

With the Gold Cup set to begin in three weeks, Bradley could bring Davies in for a closer look, especially with fellow Gold Cup roster candidate Juan Agudelo earning limited minutes with the New York Red Bulls, and there being so few speed forward options in the national team pool.
Steve, look at my post above. CD9 is Charlie Davies.
Fulham for life!

Tom

Our roster will be released on Monday the 23rd.
Fulham for life!

osullyvan

Quote from: HatterDon on May 17, 2011, 05:41:36 AM
Look for yet another Houston-born player to make the squad. Norwich's center back Zak Whitbread to make that position his during the gold Cup.
Funny Don, as a teenager playing soccer in Houston I am fairly certain that I took lessons from his dad, Barry Whitbread.  Something I think he did on the side.  If it was him, he was a very good coach and no wonder the kid is now in the Premier league.

BarryP

What was the easy line to pick a few years back has turned into the most interesting selection now.  Gooch has not played like the Gooch of old and Boca and Dolo are both getting long in the tooth.  Within the next year or so the back line can't resemble the World Cup back four.  I am intrigued by both Whitbread and Ream.  I have never seen Whitbread but playing for a team promoted to the Prem piques my interest. I think Ream brings a tool set to the back line the USMNT has sorely lacked.  His cool demeanor on the ball and ability to pass out of the back could make him a fixture for years to come.  I just wish someone intrigued me at left back.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

HatterDon

Quote from: BarryP on May 20, 2011, 03:32:30 PM
What was the easy line to pick a few years back has turned into the most interesting selection now.  Gooch has not played like the Gooch of old and Boca and Dolo are both getting long in the tooth.  Within the next year or so the back line can't resemble the World Cup back four.  I am intrigued by both Whitbread and Ream.  I have never seen Whitbread but playing for a team promoted to the Prem piques my interest. I think Ream brings a tool set to the back line the USMNT has sorely lacked.  His cool demeanor on the ball and ability to pass out of the back could make him a fixture for years to come.  I just wish someone intrigued me at left back.

If we're building for 2014 -- and I hope we are -- then it's time to salute Bocanegra and Cherundolo, thank them for their brilliant service [which I've felt they've always given, but I'll accept I'm in the minority here] and move on. Eric Lichaj looks the goods at RB. He did well at Villa and was ever-present at Leeds after the January loan period. The kid from Germany looked promising, if he can keep his temper in check. Left back is a problem for most of the teams in the world. One of the reasons I'm so incensed at the constant abuse that Salcido gets is that he's an actual international LB and there's not a lot of those in the Prem. In the states, we haven't had one for a while.

I don't know a lot about Ream, so I can't comment, but Whitbread should make his mark this summer.

Tom

Quote from: BarryP on May 20, 2011, 03:32:30 PM

Ream is a good one! I enjoy watching him play and he is only going to get better. Don't forget Timmy Chandler as well.
Fulham for life!