watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Too early to talk Gold Cup????

Started by HatterDon, April 28, 2011, 04:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

When does the U.S. start practice? Is Dempsey already on his way home?
Fulham for life!

HatterDon

I think the squad is being announced today.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Tom

Quote from: HatterDon on May 23, 2011, 01:18:01 PM
I think the squad is being announced today.
Yeah it is this afternoon. I just looked at Ives prediction on who will make the team and he left Whitbread off the team Don.
Fulham for life!

Tom

Our roster was just released and lets just say im not happy with it. First, no Guzan but we already knew that with him getting married. But this is what im mad about, no Whitbread, Chandler, Bunbury and Bedoya. And on the team Adu, Rogers and Wondolowski.  :tom:  :tom:  :tom:  Adu and Rogers, excuse me  :tom: What about Braun who is tearing it up for Chivas USA and Charlie Davies who I know did get hurt a couple weeks ago. Bradley just failed in my book!
Fulham for life!

Tom

I'm also bummed Holden is still hurt. He is a very good player and has a bright future for country and club!
Fulham for life!

SoCalJoe

I'm sure apologists for BB will step up and defend his roster, because after all we should appreciate his work ethic and except that we can't get anyone better. However, this is clearly NOT the best 23 man squad, and there is no #%$ing defending that.  :014:
You can observe a lot by just watching.

HatterDon

Well, SCJ, I am unhappy about Adu in and Whitbread out, but it doesn't take away from the fact that Bradley is the best and most successful coach we've had. I'd still take him over the German dilletante who can't win with FC Bayern, the Dutch Treat For Hire, or even Unca Woy.

BarryP

USA Roster
G:
Marcus Hahnemann - Wolverhampton - check
Tim Howard - Everton - check
Nick Rimando - Real Salt Lake - had to have a third

(Guzan is unavailable)

D:
Carlos Bocanegra - Saint-Etienne - check
Jonathan Bornstein - UANL Tigres - The last I read he has not been playing?
Steve Cherundolo - Hannover - check
Clarence Goodson - Brondby - check
Eric Lichaj - Aston Villa - check
Oguchi Onyewu - Twente - I understand why he is on the roster but I hope he is not penciled in as an automatic selection
Tim Ream - New York Red Bulls - check
Jonathan Spector - West Ham - check

(DeMerit, Whitbread and Chandler are the biggest omissions)

M:
Freddy Adu - Rizespor - Is Bob Bradley trying to resurrect his carrer?
Michael Bradley - Aston Villa - Check
Clint Dempsey - Fulham - Check
Landon Donovan - LA Galaxy - Check
Maurice Edu - Rangers - Check
Benny Feilhaber - New England Revolution - Check
Jermaine Jones - Blackburn - Check
Sacha Kljestan - Anderlecht - I am not sure I understand this one but I'll give it a pass before Rogers
Robbie Rogers - Columbus Crew - I am not even sure Rogers is the first winger I would pick from the Crew

(Bedoya, Torres and Diskerud are the biggest omissions with Holden unavailable)

F:
Juan Agudelo - New York Red Bulls
Jozy Altidore - Bursaspor
Chris Wondolowski - San Jose Earthquakes

(Bunbury and Braun are the biggest omissions in my book)
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Tom

Quote from: BarryP on May 24, 2011, 05:32:10 AM
USA Roster
G:
Marcus Hahnemann - Wolverhampton - check
Tim Howard - Everton - check
Nick Rimando - Real Salt Lake - had to have a third

(Guzan is unavailable)

D:
Carlos Bocanegra - Saint-Etienne - check
Jonathan Bornstein - UANL Tigres - The last I read he has not been playing?
Steve Cherundolo - Hannover - check
Clarence Goodson - Brondby - check
Eric Lichaj - Aston Villa - check
Oguchi Onyewu - Twente - I understand why he is on the roster but I hope he is not penciled in as an automatic selection
Tim Ream - New York Red Bulls - check
Jonathan Spector - West Ham - check

(DeMerit, Whitbread and Chandler are the biggest omissions)

M:
Freddy Adu - Rizespor - Is Bob Bradley trying to resurrect his carrer?
Michael Bradley - Aston Villa - Check
Clint Dempsey - Fulham - Check
Landon Donovan - LA Galaxy - Check
Maurice Edu - Rangers - Check
Benny Feilhaber - New England Revolution - Check
Jermaine Jones - Blackburn - Check
Sacha Kljestan - Anderlecht - I am not sure I understand this one but I'll give it a pass before Rogers
Robbie Rogers - Columbus Crew - I am not even sure Rogers is the first winger I would pick from the Crew

(Bedoya, Torres and Diskerud are the biggest omissions with Holden unavailable)

F:
Juan Agudelo - New York Red Bulls
Jozy Altidore - Bursaspor
Chris Wondolowski - San Jose Earthquakes

(Bunbury and Braun are the biggest omissions in my book)
Demerit is done on the international stage and we have to move on and prepare for the future. Torres and Diskerud aren't even close to making our current roster.
Fulham for life!

finnster01

Pardon my ignorance, but how on earth does the US manage to win so many games with a squad that only includes two quality players (Howard and Dempsey) ?
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Porkopolis

An odd selection for sure.  I hope Adu finally lives up to the early hype but I won't hold my breath. Hopefully the youngsters surprise us all and we are celebrating in 2014.

SoCalJoe

Quote from: finnster01 on May 24, 2011, 09:38:04 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but how on earth does the US manage to win so many games with a squad that only includes two quality players (Howard and Dempsey) ?

Mr. Finn; We do have a more quality players than just those 2; Donovan is a quality player, Cherundolo has started for a decade and is currently the captain for the 4th place team in the Bundesliga. That said you are right in that the US is clearly not loaded w/top European league talent. Even the team itself knows it, so the selfless "team first" philosophy is engrained. The US plays with a chip on its shoulder, searching for respect in it's own country as well as from the rest of the world where football is king.
You can observe a lot by just watching.

Tom

Quote from: SoCalJoe on May 24, 2011, 04:35:40 PM

Mr. Finn; We do have a more quality players than just those 2; Donovan is a quality player, Cherundolo has started for a decade and is currently the captain for the 4th place team in the Bundesliga. That said you are right in that the US is clearly not loaded w/top European league talent. Even the team itself knows it, so the selfless "team first" philosophy is engrained. The US plays with a chip on its shoulder, searching for respect in it's own country as well as from the rest of the world where football is king.
Totally agree with you SCJ! We play as a team and that is how we win games.
Fulham for life!

finnster01

Quote from: Tom on May 24, 2011, 07:28:00 PM

Totally agree with you SCJ! We play as a team and that is how we win games.
Nothing wrong with that. That is how the game is supposed to be played  :Sparkyticus: England should take notes
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Steve_orino

Fabio?  How'd you get Finn's password?
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

RidgeRider

Quote from: Steve_orino on May 24, 2011, 09:42:15 PM

Fabio?  How'd you get Finn's password?

Now that was funny.  :005:

RidgeRider

Joe, thanks for that. I have struggled to make sense out of how the US does reasonably well but has no European superstars on it's squad. You have answered that question for me, I guess it was always the logical conclusion but I had always fallen back on our style of play and that we have players like Donavon and and Dempsey who don't play the game like their European counterparts, do stylistically speaking, but I could never make sense of even that. I've surmised that the reason some of my fellow Fulham supporters could never fully appreciate Dempsey was because he didn't exactly fit any mold (well and he falls down a lot  :005:). I realize how wrong I was, he just does and play's like what ever is needed to win.

I am looking forward to this tournament actually.......I promised Duffbeer, who has abandoned us, that I would do a better job following our national side.

Steve_orino

QuoteI am looking forward to this tournament actually.......I promised Duffbeer, who has abandoned us, that I would do a better job following our national side.

Same here RR.  Win this thing & we qualify for the Confed Cup. 

In the 2013 Confed Cup, we send our "A" Team, therefore sending a/our "B" Team (i.e. Brek Shea, Mix Diskeruud, Bunbury, & others who seem to be just on the cusp) to the '13 Gold Cup.  More players earning caps in meaningful competitions & getting exposure to these tournaments can only be a good thing for the US system. 

Get your pom-poms ready!  June 5th here in the Dallas area, it all begins
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

HatterDon

Quote from: Steve_orino on May 25, 2011, 06:25:54 PM
QuoteI am looking forward to this tournament actually.......I promised Duffbeer, who has abandoned us, that I would do a better job following our national side.

In the 2013 Confed Cup, we send our "A" Team, therefore sending a/our "B" Team (i.e. Brek Shea, Mix Diskeruud, Bunbury, & others who seem to be just on the cusp) to the '13 Gold Cup.  More players earning caps in meaningful competitions & getting exposure to these tournaments can only be a good thing for the US system. 

COME ON YOU RW&B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AmericanJames

Quote from: Steve_orino on May 25, 2011, 06:25:54 PM

Pom-poms ready. i'll be at the game on the 7th in Detroit. tailgate starts at 11 am!

come on you yanks
Some people are literally too stupid to insult