watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our two Texan heroes...

Started by Rupert, April 29, 2011, 02:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rupert

Saw this quote from the Washington Post, no less, in their report about the Bolton match-

"Dempsey's double took him to 12 league goals this season. Fellow Texan Brede Hangeland, a defender who plays his international soccer for Norway, completed Fulham's victory with a 65th- minute header."

Referring to Brede as a Texan (yes, I know he was born there when his father was employed in the oil industry), reminds me a lot of something that used to drive my Dad mad. If a sportsman or woman from Northern Ireland did something good (ie Mary Peters winning the hexathlon event at the Munich Olympics) they were referred to as "British" by the BBC. If they messed up or did worse than expected, they were "Irish".
Nice to see the Yanks can do it too.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

HatterDon

My favorite is Boaz Myhill. He was born in Los Angeles, but resisted all invitations to turn out for the USA. While I think his three main reasons for doing this were actually Brad Friedel, Tim Howard, and Kasey Keller, he claimed that what he really wanted was to play for England. Fair enough. Finally, after waiting quite a while for Prince Charming to show up, he found an appropriate relative and declared his Welshness. Then came Hennessey. Sigh
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel